Anime/Manga/Asian Novels made into Hollywood Movies

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
sahansah

Anime/Manga/Asian Novels made into Hollywood Movies

Post by sahansah » Apr 8th, '09, 00:21

So after the trend of Hollywood converting generally western comics, books and games into films they now seem to be looking towards the east for inspiration.

This thread was inspired by the news that Mandalay Pictures have acquired the rights for a live-action adaptaion of Full Metal Panic! (link). We've already seen the release of Speed racer and there is the upcoming Dragonball movie as well.

The manga and anime Monster is also going to be given the hollywood treatment as New Line Cinema has aquired the rights for a live-action adaptation.

I believe theres also going to be a Hollywood adaptation of Death note as well.

I've also heard of plans for a live-action adaptation of Evangelion dunno how much truth or how far (if it is true) that is in production.

Theres also after reading a post by Karate-ka in the Kimura thread gonna be a Ninja-scroll live-action adaptation and believe it or not plans for a live-action adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo's acclaimed Akira.

Have I missed out any rumoured adaptations or other adaptations already released? I haven't seen speed racer so how did people find that film compared to the original?

The thing is alot of these works will be westernised as I have read bout dragonball which sounds like a teenage high school action adventure fantasy movie more then anything. What do people think of this trend? Do you think we will see an increase of anime/manga being converted into hollywood movies? What are peoples thoughts on this subject and on the already planned adaptations and released adaptations?

I'd love to see more manga/anime made into live-action movies but only if they try to stay as true to the character and story of the originals. Of course there would be changes cconsidering how producers would want to get people who would know nothing of the anime/manga flocking to the cinemas but not at the expense of the fans of the original works.

To be honest I'm quite intrigued as how most of these up-coming adaptations would be percieved by the public. It is a risk these producers are taking by converting something which is not heard of by majority of western audiences into films as say it was to make a film on Batman or Superman as even if someone hasn't read any comics would know who they are.

I wouldn't really want to see most of these adaptations flop because I'd like hollywood to not be afraid to look towards manga/anime for inspiration in the future.

Please Buy From Amazon By Clicking Below To Help D-Addicts Forum:
goldlantern

Post by goldlantern » Apr 8th, '09, 01:20

Full Metal Panic has promise. There's a lot they could do with that, and it would be good. Ninja scroll...that I'd rather they not touch. You've also forgotten Keanu Reeves' Cowboy Bebop, which, like FMP...has great potential for both success and failure.

coldheat

Hollywood anime destruction

Post by coldheat » Apr 8th, '09, 02:23

NOOOOOOO SAY IT ISNT SOOOOOO!!!!!

ugh Keanu Reeves in Cowboy Bebop, my son will be devastated. And I am just creeped out. I really wish Americans would open up to Asian movies. Yes they are a little bit different then Hollywood, but they have more depth, not just tits, ass, sex, blood, and guts. (Sorry saw Last House on the Left yesterday and it was HORRIBLE)

1. I don't like KR he has NO acting skills.
2. What ever they do they will change it for the American audience and probably cut out the actually story. All action no story.

Sorry for the rant but my teeth just grind sometimes over people not wanting to look past our coast.

goldlantern

Post by goldlantern » Apr 8th, '09, 02:41

I think the parts Keanu gets are equally to blame for his lack of acting skills as he is - most actors tend to grow in range as they do more things. There's a huge range from Kabuto to Hana Kimi, for instance. I bet you couldn't name one role that Keanu has had that really tore you away from his "Whoa" lines. It's almost like role playing games, where the lead character only says "...". That being said, I'm going to hold my tongue and wait for more infos before casting judgement on Cowboy Bebop.

makito

Post by makito » Apr 8th, '09, 03:06

I don't think Keanu Reeves is to blame in here.
Just making or the thought of considering making Cowboy Bebop into a live-action movie is just wrong.
What the hell is America thinking? :pale:

FMP? That is obviously wrong. Like Dragonball... it's just a movie with nice effects that has in common with the original plot the names of the characters, just that. The rest is just garbage.
Like Transformers... it was a good robot movie but it wasn't Transformers!

Somebody please stop them! :crazy:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

tsurashi313

Re: Hollywood anime destruction

Post by tsurashi313 » Apr 8th, '09, 03:14

coldheat wrote:Sorry for the rant but my teeth just grind sometimes over people not wanting to look past our coast.
Actually Americans do look past their coasts. I mean where did Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, and so many other actors/actresses come from? Well some of them live in the U.S. but they definitely did not come from the U.S. And there's Slumdog Millionaire and its cast, definitely looked somewhere else other than U.S. I hope I got where you were going with that statement.

I do agree that Keanu Reeves doesn't have a good acting ability though, as much as I love him as a person. And as much as I HATE to say this, American culture thrives on sex.

Cowboy Bebop isn't such a bad idea. It's not insanely complicated/Japanese cultured so it's not so hard to do. Dragonball is by far the most stupid thing that Hollywood made so far for me, but I do give Hollywood props for even risking their money to invest in this. It's not something anyone should do for a live action.
Watching: Flower Boy Next Door, Galileo 2

kuro570

Re: Hollywood anime destruction

Post by kuro570 » Apr 19th, '09, 13:05

tsurashi313 wrote:
coldheat wrote:Sorry for the rant but my teeth just grind sometimes over people not wanting to look past our coast.
Actually Americans do look past their coasts. I mean where did Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, and so many other actors/actresses come from? Well some of them live in the U.S. but they definitely did not come from the U.S. And there's Slumdog Millionaire and its cast, definitely looked somewhere else other than U.S. I hope I got where you were going with that statement.

I do agree that Keanu Reeves doesn't have a good acting ability though, as much as I love him as a person. And as much as I HATE to say this, American culture thrives on sex.

What culture doesn't thrive on sex? Brazil, Germany, Japan, Korea, all the above have the same if not higher thing for sex. Just take a look at the movies everyone put it and don't try to judge an industry based on a few shitty movies that sell well. Last thing is the hypocrites here who say they don't like American horror because too much gore and violence and not enough story but these same ppl turn around and claim they love Japanese movies like Machine Gun Girl, Versus or Tokyo Gore Police. They're so biased towards Hollywood they don't even notice they're own hypocrisy which is just so funny...

A chainsaw waving monster hunting down ppl in a backwoods country vs a highschool girl with a machine gun grafted onto her arms because she attacked a Yakuzas mansion that just happened to have ninjas in it...

As for Keanu I love his personality but they need to give this man some better roles although I did love him in Constantine and Devils advocate.
VSS: Warui Yatsura

akinoame27

Post by akinoame27 » Apr 19th, '09, 13:12

makito wrote:
FMP? That is obviously wrong. Like Dragonball... it's just a movie with nice effects that has in common with the original plot the names of the characters, just that. The rest is just garbage.
Like Transformers... it was a good robot movie but it wasn't Transformers!
was Dragonball really that bad? I haven´t seen it yet... but everybody says it´s terrible... :/ I wanted to see it, but now I´m not so sure.... :scratch:

shamps

Post by shamps » Apr 19th, '09, 13:25

I like the idea that at least Hollywood is noticing that anime/manga, it kind aopens the door and allows more people to see what they are missing out on. But i also agree that they just do horrible jobs at times trying to recreate them to a western setting.

I can say i sat and watched the Dragonball movie (ok was more like forced to go by my boyfriend lol i personality just dont like dragonball at all lol) from what he says it was bad, a lot more action based (but if you think about it, in today's world lot ofs people want action action action), according to him it stuck fairly close to the actual storyline of the original dragonball (don't get me wrong i could be mistaking if he meant dragonball or dragonball z as i said i don't like either lol).

I haven't even heard of the other ones. I know for a while there was a rumor of Hellsing being made into a live-action here in the states but i have no idea if that's all it was, as since i didn't really care that much to go looking around lol

Honestly im always interested in see how hollywood makes them into live-actions, even though if it doesn't stick to the story its still interesting to see really just to see how horrible sometimes it turns out, which in turn just shows you they really don't care, of just didn't read/watch it fully just mostly took the key points of plot and did it from that.

I hate how they don't stick to the story much or just change too much for it to even fit to the original. I get this way towards the games being made into movies...i suppose i don't cause i haven't really heard of many anime/manga yet, so mostly giving this a chance for now.

Wow that was a really long post >.>

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Apr 19th, '09, 16:14

I haven't seen the Dragonball Evolution, but the keyword of the title is "Evolution." So, it sounds like someone else version of Dragonball, not exactly like DB or DBZ or that other one... GX? GT? Or is that the YuGiOh one....... *shrugs* But yeah, I heard it "sucks" because everything was wrong. I bet if I watched it too, I'll probably say it wasn't that good, but I can only defend it by saying "It's called evolution, so it's not suppose to follow the storyline of the original," So yeah....

They were suppose to make a live-action version of Petshop of Horrors, but I think they dropped it..... I would have loved to see that, and! It takes place in the States, so they can't f up that movie that badly when they Westernize it, just have to find a Chinese guy who looks just like Count D, but even give you that feel of him tooooo.

But FMP would be cool to see, I actually like that anime, and I'm not crazy about mecha and stuff, but the animation and the humor grabbed my attention ^_^

goldlantern

Post by goldlantern » Apr 19th, '09, 18:17

A friend of mine posted this on another forum I habit:

It COULD work! Maybe! ....okay, maybe not.

Mayura

Post by Mayura » Apr 19th, '09, 18:40

Well... I saw Dragon Ball Evolution... and I'm definitely against any adaptations of mangas/animes by the Americans... Well, it's okay if they choose GOOD actors, make a GOOD script, add GOOD special effects... But Dragon Ball Evolution has nothing at all... It's just terrible: I don't really like Dragon Ball so I just saw it like any other movie... ('cause my friends wanted to see it so I went with them). But it was worst than any other movie :blink

And Keanu Reeves to play Spike... That guy is not a good actor... I'd like the people who decide to adapt mangas to stop the massacres :cussing:

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Apr 19th, '09, 22:54

On wikipedia , Zac Effron is suppose to be in the FMP movie... I'm guessing as Sagara.......? I mean, he does kinda look like him.... he's just not Asian, but it's also not confirmed that Souske is really Asian too... so...... uh..... yeah!