Asian Dramas vs American Drama

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

Which shows what?

1) American shows mirror the society
29%
2) Society mirror/copy what they see in American Shows
29%
3) Asian dramas mirror the society
43%
4) Society mirror/copy what they see in Asian dramas
No votes

Total votes: 7

kamiru2374yakusoku

Asian Dramas vs American Drama

Post by kamiru2374yakusoku » Mar 25th, '09, 06:58

Hey everyone!!!!

I just have a biggggg favor to ask you all. I have to write a research paper for my writing class and I'm planning on writing abt the difference between asian dramas (focusing on japanese korean chinese (main&taiwan)) and american dramas/shows. I need an interview/survey/field observation, so the first thing i thought of was "surveying" you guys here in d-addicts. I hope that you guys can help me with my paper and reply as serious as you can.

soooo..... here goes...

1) Give me at least 3 big differences between Asian dramas and American dramas. It could be about anything (themes, society's opinion abt the dramas/show, acting, show's influence on the audience/society... anything you can think of that i could possibly talk abt my paper).
2) Do you think that American shows/dramas mirror the society or does the society mirror what they see in american tv shows?
3) Do you think that Asian dramas mirror the society (in Asia.. and America too) or does the society mirror what they see in asian dramas?

I'm running a poll for the last two questions. PLEASE choose an answer for each one (choose between 1 or 2 for your first poll answer then choose between 3 or 4 for the second time)

I really hope that you guys can help me.... thank you soo much in advance!!!!!!!

-camille

kamiru2374yakusoku

Post by kamiru2374yakusoku » Mar 25th, '09, 17:09

anyone?

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy » May 17th, '09, 21:29

American Dramas doesn't really have a story. They are very repetitive in nature. Plus they do not have an ending. American romance dramas basically use this basic thing that I'm about to say. There will be 1 boy and 1 girl that the viewers think are perfect for each other and they should end up together. The whole story will be making these two almost get together but couldn't get together because of unfortunate and unlucky circumstances.

The fact that they do not have an ending is what makes them really really bad. When the show no longer gets money, they got canceled and that is it like dawson's creek, 90210, etc.

Elitist Grammarian

Post by Elitist Grammarian » May 18th, '09, 01:49

I don't think it's fair to judge drama series based purely on their country (or continent) of origin.

I tend to watch more Asian (Japanese, specifically) than American drama these days, but I'd put some American shows like The Wire for example up there with my favourite shows of all time.

So I'm not sure if I can answer your question. I don't think there are any prevalent differences between "Asian" and American drama outside of language and some cultural differences. I suppose there's different types of humour in comedies and the sad stuff might be a bit more melodramatic in Japanese drama, but it's not always that way.

groink

Post by groink » May 18th, '09, 02:35

I hope kamiru2374yakusoku flunked his writing class. Choosing such a biased x vs Y subject like this should've been flagged by his teacher from the get-go. It is like choosing to write about the pros and cons of euthanasia or abortions (probably two of the the top-3 most popular term paper subjects among teens.) What's better? Mac or PC? Xbox or PS3? Republicans or Democrats? Shiites or Sunnis?

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 18th, '09, 06:08

groink wrote:I hope kamiru2374yakusoku flunked his writing class. Choosing such a biased x vs Y subject like this should've been flagged by his teacher from the get-go. It is like choosing to write about the pros and cons of euthanasia or abortions (probably two of the the top-3 most popular term paper subjects among teens.) What's better? Mac or PC? Xbox or PS3? Republicans or Democrats? Shiites or Sunnis?

--- groink
I'll tell you what's better: Linux, the Wii, and the Green Party. (Don't know much about Shiites and Sunnis.)

As for drama, it's just a form of artistic expression. It would be much better to write a paper on which kinds of drama are more popular in each society, for example, than simply to say that somehow Asian drama precludes a certain category or that American dramas do.

Although what fuzzywuzzy said has some truth: American dramas are filmed with the intention that people might view random episodes out of order, I just finished watching the first season of True Blood, which definitely had a cliffhanger at the end of every episode. On the other hand, I remember watching Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Monkey King, which had a little self-contained story in each episode.

Another interesting thing to note is this: I've asked Americans who watch Asian drama, why they do that, and mostly they say Asian drama is less predictable and more interesting. However, when I've asked my Chinese friends why they watch American drama all the time (which some of them do quite religiously) they say it's because American drama is unpredictable and more interesting. So I suppose that it's rather the DIFFERENCE in culture that makes drama appealing to other cultures. Kind of like the privilege to say "I don't know anybody like that!"

I think it's very difficult for somebody to understand two different cultures equally well (and it's especially impossible if you're grouping Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, and Korea all together. Do you want to include Filipino, Thai, and Vietnamese drama, too, then? I know one of them is prone to rape-first, have-mental-issues-and-so-falls-in-love-after drama.) So, YOUR perspective on the drama would necessarily be different from those of the intended audience. Rather than consider the differences, why not consider the commonalities and their ramifications?

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by amrayu » May 25th, '09, 06:58

No response from original poster. Locking...
Follow SARS-Fansubs on Twitter now!
Get up-to-date info on dramas and fansubbing!