Do you really hate where your born that much??

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Do you really hate where your born that much??

Post by kuro570 » Feb 17th, '09, 13:40

On most of my time of D-addicts I noticed I've seen quite a few profiles and where it says "Location" I would see comments like "Sadly U.S. or Canada and such" I've also seen many statements of the sorts in some forums and I'm wondering... are ppl truly that unhappy about being born where they're at? As much as I like Japanese culture I love my country and wouldn't become a Japanese citizen, the whole reason I study Japanese is to work for my country doing something I'm good at with a language I like. I just hate seeing ppl talk lowly about their own country while praising others that they've never been to and only seen and heard about on TV or online.

Sorry for this little rant but seriously how do you feel about your own nation compared to whatever nation you have an interest in and why?
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
Ayamari
Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 9th, '09, 15:50
Location: Tampa, FL/Kansas City, MO
Contact:

Post by Ayamari » Feb 17th, '09, 14:01

i like where i was born (Honolulu, ftw). i think we're kinda lucky to be in the U.S. compared to some countries that aren't doing well development-wise and economic-wise.

just shove all the "i hate my country! i wish i lived in ___ " people in siberia or antartica and see which country they'd rather live in.
Image
avatar: brilliant_hues@LJ

User avatar
Zealousy
Posts: 362
Joined: Apr 9th, '08, 01:52
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by Zealousy » Feb 18th, '09, 02:18

I love Canada. I don't think I'd like to live anywhere else.
(Even if I did move, it'd be to like Calgary/Vancouver/Toronto. lulz)
Honey, honey, honey...

User avatar
Kakijun
Posts: 206
Joined: Sep 13th, '08, 05:18
Location: Florida, USA

Post by Kakijun » Feb 18th, '09, 02:37

I love the US.
Yeah, I don't get people who would want to trade in their US citizenship for a Japanese one.
It's like giving up a part of yourself.

Puppet Princess
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sep 3rd, '06, 15:27
Location: Hawaii

Post by Puppet Princess » Feb 18th, '09, 02:45

My guess is most of those people don't hate their country, they just wish they could travel and visit others. When you have a curiosity for the world being stuck in the one place you have always been is a sort of torture. And it's more likely they don't like the state or city they are in rather than their country.
For me, I have been to 3rd world countries so, while I do love my country and would not want to have been born in any other place, America gives us a great deal of personal freedom and higher standard of living we take for granted, it drives me insane when I see people (usually politicians) go on and on about how superior American is to the rest of the world in every department. Lying to ignorant masses pisses me off. Admitting other countries are better than you at somethings is actually healthy in my book. Love your country for what it really is, not what people what you to think it is.

America has personal freedom, we can say what we want about anyone or anything and we can sue anyone over anything, and we have a low EXTREME poverty standard... but that's about it. We are not the richest country by far (we even owe "poor" countries money), we don't have the smartest scientist (the ones we have only make military advancements), our army is very tiny in comparison to China and Russia who could take over the world alone if they wanted to but hey they are buddies so if they ever did it would be done together and no one would stand a chance.

User avatar
ayaseharukaftw
Posts: 62
Joined: Oct 14th, '08, 01:17
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by ayaseharukaftw » Feb 18th, '09, 02:59

I don't hate my country, I hate the guy and government running it (the Prime Minister is a Canadian George Bush) and the province I live in. So much damn drama about stuff that happened during the past 400 years. If I go on I'll probably offend people who live in the same province but who favor the thing I oppose, so I'm not going to explain myself. I want to try living in a different country where the way of life is different.

Cry5tal
Posts: 110
Joined: Aug 29th, '08, 12:43
Location: France

Post by Cry5tal » Feb 18th, '09, 03:01

Do you really hate where your born that much??
Yes and no. I hate being French, I don't really like the country either. But at the same time I'm happy I'm born in a country that has health care and such.

melonyhappy
Posts: 533
Joined: Nov 10th, '05, 07:33
Location: Canada

Post by melonyhappy » Feb 18th, '09, 18:41

nah. I like my free healthcare, the multiculturalism and equality.
I just wish it was a bit warmer.... I just want to go to asia for vacation....I don't think I can live there (I love Alberta beef too much :lol !). they probably would think i'm rude for being loud and opinionated...

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Feb 18th, '09, 18:58

@"Puppet Princess"
I know what you mean, just one thing, the U.S. has about 71,000,000 million soldiers to Russia's 30,000,000 but yeah I know what you mean. Sorry about the statement, I'm kinda a military nut lol
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
sumire_chan
Posts: 36
Joined: Mar 11th, '08, 00:37
Location: Washington, DC

Post by sumire_chan » Feb 18th, '09, 19:29

I like where I live, but I do get bored sometimes. I might want to live somewhere outside the US for a few years but I'll always want to come back here to live permanently, because it's home and I do love it in the end. It does really suck being an American abroad though. I have friends who lie and tell people they're Canadian when they're traveling...

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Feb 18th, '09, 19:32

I like where I am - Hawaii! However, I joke around about "wasting" space here, as I don't take advantage of the things that the islands offer:

- I can't swim!
- I can't stay out in the sun long. The sun gives me migraines.
- I hate Hawaiian food (poi, lomi lomi salmon, poki, etc.)
- I really don't go outside much, except to play golf (tee time before sunrise) or the occasional walk to keep up the cardio.

I cannot comprehend how people can fall in love with Asian dramas and culture if they can't even experience it where they live. In Hawaii, virtually anything I see on Japanese TV - I can experience on Oahu. I think my physical experimentation with things Japanese is the reason why I am a japanophile of sorts. If I lived somewhere else where there was no sushi, Japanese people, or bon dances, I don't think I would like Japanese culture as much. The only things Hawaii doesn't have are natural hot springs, abalone you can actually watch being tortured/cooked, and Akihabara.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

User avatar
Kenedaa
Posts: 39
Joined: Feb 8th, '07, 13:25
Location: France, Reims

Post by Kenedaa » Feb 18th, '09, 19:44

Puppet Princess wrote:My guess is most of those people don't hate their country, they just wish they could travel and visit others.
I totally agree with Puppet Princess. I think that's a good reason people says they wish they were in an other country.

In my case, I was born in mexico a country I've never been back yet, so I can't say I hate it ^^. But for sure i'd like to go work oversea again if I have the opportunity!
Image

User avatar
KissedInuyasha
Posts: 30
Joined: Nov 28th, '07, 14:31

Post by KissedInuyasha » Feb 18th, '09, 20:37

I don't hate my country, but I do hate the city I was born in. With good reason. Though the US is doing poorly at least we have places that will help you if you need money for food, ect..

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 18th, '09, 20:44

Puppet Princess wrote:My guess is most of those people don't hate their country, they just wish they could travel and visit others.
I do agree with puppet princess in general..she's right. I was born in a country called Lebanon which was a rich country in the 70s but because of internal political problems and israeli assaults became a 3rd world country even though it is one of the most beautiful countries to live in, it's climate is perfect and 80% of the population speak & understand arabic / english / french fluently so foreigners don't need much effort to communicate with us, but for me I wish I lived in Japan to escape these problems because Japan in general is a neutral country and I am fascinated by the way they keep the tradition while being the most technologically advanced country, also how they keep their country green and mostly they're polite ! One of the reasons I watch Japanese drama is to see more of japan and its culture since I don't have the means of traveling or living there. Why I didn't choose america, because in my opinion what americans call freedom, I call it chaos.Having a big military power doesn't mean u have the right to invade and destroy other people cultures. When I was young I was fascinated by Rambo but little by little when I grew up I saw the real face of this country. No offense for americans out there ! I wish someday I get to visit Japan, at least once before my time finish on planet earth or Tokyo cease to exist like in most Japanese anime ^_^

User avatar
eveningstar201
Posts: 28
Joined: Oct 31st, '08, 16:19

Post by eveningstar201 » Feb 18th, '09, 21:03

I don't hate the country I was born in at all though it has plenty of problems. And then I moved to Italy which I truly loved too. On the other hand, I truly hate many many things about the country I am currently living in: England. Mostly the weather but I could write a long list of the things I hate about it. As for wanting to be Japanese/Korean/whatever or living in Japan/Korea/whatever, I wouldn't want that either. I love Japan and Korea as depicted in dramas but I'm realistic enough to understand that it's not really like they show it in dramas. I truly admire and respect both these cultures and would love to learn these languages and of course visit but living there is another story. If I could pick a place to live (and had plenty of money to support my lifestyle), I'd pick some place tropical with white sandy beaches!

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 18th, '09, 21:08

what the ..... I've become 27 years old an hour ago ^_^

ILoveKoyuki
Posts: 70
Joined: Aug 12th, '06, 23:50

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Feb 18th, '09, 21:32

well i was born in italy and moved to tha US at a young age
i have no problem with this chunk of land called america (north),
but i dew hate tha weather (i live in FLA), and a lot of tha arrogant and ignorant ppl
but then again they are everywherr
whut i feel ppl need to understand is that tha earth is one big rock
different places have different climates and landscape and natural resources
but this whole idea that one 'country' is better than tha other is stupid
tha US is no better tha china or iraq or brazil or japan
its what tha ppl have worked for and chose to dew with there resources dat makes dat area of tha world seem nice
but others seem jus as nice if not better based on peoples personal preferences

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Feb 18th, '09, 21:48

ILoveKoyuki wrote:well i was born in italy and moved to tha US at a young age
i have no problem with this chunk of land called america (north),
but i dew hate tha weather (i live in FLA), and a lot of tha arrogant and ignorant ppl
but then again they are everywherr
whut i feel ppl need to understand is that tha earth is one big rock
different places have different climates and landscape and natural resources
but this whole idea that one 'country' is better than tha other is stupid
tha US is no better tha china or iraq or brazil or japan
its what tha ppl have worked for and chose to dew with there resources dat makes dat area of tha world seem nice
but others seem jus as nice if not better based on peoples personal preferences
I have to disagree with you... Yes we live on on giant rock but geographically wise some places are better than others because of resources for instance CT. in the U.S. compared to almost any location in Siberia. You can't also over look situations like a stable region vs the civil war areas of Sri Lanka, the famine hit areas of Africa or the brutal dictatorship of China. How could you compare U.S. to Iraq and say the U.S. is no different? I do believe however every nation has its ups and downs but some has advantages over others in terms of climates, politics, security and stability.
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
Zarine
Posts: 18
Joined: Jul 15th, '05, 17:30
Location: Bufu Montana

Post by Zarine » Feb 18th, '09, 21:59

I love living in the US because of the freedoms we have as well as our "individual vs group" culture. As a literature major I've used Japanese manga/drams/anime to analyze the aspects of their culture (vs. things that are wishful thinking and madeup of course). Japan would be a cool place to visit, but because of their group centered culture and the attitude of "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down" I could never live there. I'm sure things are changing gradually over time, but having that much interference in my personal life would bug me.

I've noticed that a lot of people, especially young people, don't have an accurate understanding of how governments work. A lot of people like to say the U.S. is crap because of Bush, but the truth is that Congress has most of the power and the president can't do a thing without their say so. I think a lot of politicians these days are also trying to drag down the country and make everyone feel bad so they can enact "changes" that they think will make everything better.

Because the U.S. is such a large country we have diverse cultures internally as well, some people may hate the country because of where they live without realizing that different sections of the country are totally different. I mostly grew up in Florida. I loved the people there and had a lot of friends. I moved to Montana to go to college and found that while people are more openly friendly towards you, you are invisible to them when you're not around. I could walk into a game shop here and everyone would say "Hi, how are you" and then ignore me for 5 hours if I didn't say a word to them. Despite that I do love this area, the cost of living is low and the weather is actually pretty nice.

User avatar
Zarine
Posts: 18
Joined: Jul 15th, '05, 17:30
Location: Bufu Montana

Post by Zarine » Feb 18th, '09, 22:05

kuro570 wrote:
ILoveKoyuki wrote:well i was born in italy and moved to tha US at a young age
i have no problem with this chunk of land called america (north),
but i dew hate tha weather (i live in FLA), and a lot of tha arrogant and ignorant ppl
but then again they are everywherr
whut i feel ppl need to understand is that tha earth is one big rock
different places have different climates and landscape and natural resources
but this whole idea that one 'country' is better than tha other is stupid
tha US is no better tha china or iraq or brazil or japan
its what tha ppl have worked for and chose to dew with there resources dat makes dat area of tha world seem nice
but others seem jus as nice if not better based on peoples personal preferences
I have to disagree with you... Yes we live on on giant rock but geographically wise some places are better than others because of resources for instance CT. in the U.S. compared to almost any location in Siberia. You can't also over look situations like a stable region vs the civil war areas of Sri Lanka, the famine hit areas of Africa or the brutal dictatorship of China. How could you compare U.S. to Iraq and say the U.S. is no different? I do believe however every nation has its ups and downs but some has advantages over others in terms of climates, politics, security and stability.
I think a lot of it also depends on personal opinion as well. Sure we can say that the developed countries are no better or worse than each other, but you have to look at it from a different perspective. I happen to dislike socialism A LOT; therefore, I wouldn't want to live in a country like France or Canada (no offense Canadians). I completely agree with you, Kuro, on the bits about different situations in different countries. There are a lot of pretty places out there. We also can't over look social situations as well. I could never visit the middle-east because of the way they treat women over there.

ILoveKoyuki
Posts: 70
Joined: Aug 12th, '06, 23:50

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Feb 18th, '09, 22:16

well what i was gettin from this whole talk of nations is a nationalist feel
i dont believe in nationalism because if u had to leave america you could still make a life in canada no matter if you liked socialism or not
i dont hate america and i certaintly dont love it
people dont have to deal wit countries
people have to deal wit people
countries dont decide to get up start a war or deny poor people food
the people in that country decide to

but i agree the only way i could see sumone comparing countries is based on natural resources and specifically for tha survival of people not based on political or cultural beliefs or tha such

User avatar
Kenedaa
Posts: 39
Joined: Feb 8th, '07, 13:25
Location: France, Reims

Post by Kenedaa » Feb 18th, '09, 22:45

kuro570 wrote: I have to disagree with you... Yes we live on on giant rock but geographically wise some places are better than others because of resources for instance... some has advantages over others in terms of climates, politics, security and stability.
I agree with you about that. It's already a luxury to live in a country without war, food shortage, political censure, ... but that does not mean that you're happier than a person who live in a less developed country.
Zarine wrote: Because the U.S. is such a large country we have diverse cultures internally
Like in a lot of country, even if they are smaller
Zarine wrote: I happen to dislike socialism A LOT; therefore, I wouldn't want to live in a country like France or Canada (no offense Canadians).
well, do I have to guess you mean offence to french people. lol, I don't mind. but have you been in france or canada? i'm sure there must be a few worse country than those in terms of climates, politics, security and stability...
Image

User avatar
AnimeDad
Posts: 105
Joined: Jul 11th, '08, 01:10
Location: Australia

Post by AnimeDad » Feb 18th, '09, 23:01

groink wrote: I cannot comprehend how people can fall in love with Asian dramas and culture if they can't even experience it where they live. In Hawaii, virtually anything I see on Japanese TV - I can experience on Oahu. I think my physical experimentation with things Japanese is the reason why I am a japanophile of sorts. If I lived somewhere else where there was no sushi, Japanese people, or bon dances, I don't think I would like Japanese culture as much. The only things Hawaii doesn't have are natural hot springs, abalone you can actually watch being tortured/cooked, and Akihabara.

--- groink
You don't know how lucky you are to have so much Japanese culture where you are - like they have in California. Where I live it is virtually non-existent, we only have 2 Japanese restaurants that are 20 mins drive away and not even owned/run by Japanese. I'm just fortunate to have contacts in Japan through work.

That said, I really love living in Australia and especially the area i'm in.

patient_senses
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 5th, '09, 13:03
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post by patient_senses » Feb 18th, '09, 23:33

I don't really hate the country I live (the US). I just have many problems with it because of where I live. I live in the city and am surrounded by people that just have absolutely no morals or values. They're so igronant I hardly want to leave my house anymore. If I lived in the suburbans, I'd probably enjoy it a bit more.

However, I do know that I'm very lucky to be born here instead of some of the other countries. I don't say that Japan is better than the United States because I've never been there. Japanese culture just looks so much more interesting to me than Americas culture.

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Feb 18th, '09, 23:40

@Kenedaa I didn't say anything about being happier but you at least have to be grateful for what you have right? lol
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 19th, '09, 04:00

kuro570 wrote: I have to disagree with you... Yes we live on on giant rock but geographically wise some places are better than others because of resources for instance CT. in the U.S. compared to almost any location in Siberia. You can't also over look situations like a stable region vs the civil war areas of Sri Lanka, the famine hit areas of Africa or the brutal dictatorship of China. How could you compare U.S. to Iraq and say the U.S. is no different? I do believe however every nation has its ups and downs but some has advantages over others in terms of climates, politics, security and stability.
Your country is not that perfect as u state because u don't see what's outside your borders. About resources Iraq & Russia have more resources than US but to be able to maintain what so called [ freedom / prosperity ] US make other nations [ e.g. Iraq ] suffer which gives u an Idea about the general mentality of the people there [using guns before brains to resolve everything] while compared to JAPAN and this is one of the main reason I ditch US, is that Japanese despite others call it a self-centric nation, has more friends in the world than the US. Japanese were able to maintain a high life style society while also giving a nice / pretty face to the world [e.g the least is Playstation]. Long Live The Land of the Rising Sun <= Aishteru ^_^

User avatar
Zarine
Posts: 18
Joined: Jul 15th, '05, 17:30
Location: Bufu Montana

Post by Zarine » Feb 19th, '09, 05:24

GATX303 wrote:
kuro570 wrote: I have to disagree with you... Yes we live on on giant rock but geographically wise some places are better than others because of resources for instance CT. in the U.S. compared to almost any location in Siberia. You can't also over look situations like a stable region vs the civil war areas of Sri Lanka, the famine hit areas of Africa or the brutal dictatorship of China. How could you compare U.S. to Iraq and say the U.S. is no different? I do believe however every nation has its ups and downs but some has advantages over others in terms of climates, politics, security and stability.
Your country is not that perfect as u state because u don't see what's outside your borders. About resources Iraq & Russia have more resources than US but to be able to maintain what so called [ freedom / prosperity ] US make other nations [ e.g. Iraq ] suffer which gives u an Idea about the general mentality of the people there [using guns before brains to resolve everything] while compared to JAPAN and this is one of the main reason I ditch US, is that Japanese despite others call it a self-centric nation, has more friends in the world than the US. Japanese were able to maintain a high life style society while also giving a nice / pretty face to the world [e.g the least is Playstation]. Long Live The Land of the Rising Sun <= Aishteru ^_^
Considering the fact that Iraq is mostly a desert, I somehow doubt they have an overabunchance of forests like we have in the US. Yes they have oil, but in terms of other natural resources I would say we have them beat in most areas.

In terms of the "friends" Japan has around the world, we also have to remember WW2 and the fact that the Chinese pretty much hate the Japanese for all of the attrocities they commited. Japan did A LOT of damage to countries on that side of the world.

Kuro is also talking about Sibera. Considering the short growning season and the harshness of the climate in the regions that have an abundance of natural resources it's not exactly like living in the midwestern United States.

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 19th, '09, 06:19

Zarine wrote: Considering the fact that Iraq is mostly a desert, I somehow doubt they have an overabunchance of forests like we have in the US. Yes they have oil, but in terms of other natural resources I would say we have them beat in most areas.

In terms of the "friends" Japan has around the world, we also have to remember WW2 and the fact that the Chinese pretty much hate the Japanese for all of the attrocities they commited. Japan did A LOT of damage to countries on that side of the world.

Kuro is also talking about Sibera. Considering the short growning season and the harshness of the climate in the regions that have an abundance of natural resources it's not exactly like living in the midwestern United States.
Just to tell u facts, the US has more Desert lands than Iraq. Iraq has to big rivers that cuts it from north to south, and between the two rivers there's Baghdad and it is not desert as u think, it is green. To tell u more, in a period of history, Baghdad had the biggest Library in the world until the mongols came and burned it. I don't think people who love to read like to live in a harsh climate country that's why Iraq is not all desert as u think. Concerning Japan, everybody did atrocities during WW2 and whatever japan did, is nothing compared to NAGASAKI and HIROSHIMA. The only difference is that japan apologized to china but even in the 21st century where the world became a small village, America still do atrocities to other nation and didn't even apologized to Japan for throwing two nuclear bombs

Puppet Princess
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sep 3rd, '06, 15:27
Location: Hawaii

Post by Puppet Princess » Feb 19th, '09, 06:33

kuro570 wrote:@"Puppet Princess"
I know what you mean, just one thing, the U.S. has about 71,000,000 million soldiers to Russia's 30,000,000 but yeah I know what you mean. Sorry about the statement, I'm kinda a military nut lol
>_< I always think of that scenario as an alliance effort so I forgot to actually check my numbers. Okay, so I guess Russia would need China's help to take over the world after all. The basis of the theory is still good though. lol

Though, military aside, Russia has a great deal of power over Europe, if the somewhat recent quarrels over pipelines is any hint of the mischief they could cause.

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 19th, '09, 09:24

Puppet Princess wrote:
kuro570 wrote:@"Puppet Princess"
I know what you mean, just one thing, the U.S. has about 71,000,000 million soldiers to Russia's 30,000,000 but yeah I know what you mean. Sorry about the statement, I'm kinda a military nut lol
>_< I always think of that scenario as an alliance effort so I forgot to actually check my numbers. Okay, so I guess Russia would need China's help to take over the world after all. The basis of the theory is still good though. lol

Though, military aside, Russia has a great deal of power over Europe, if the somewhat recent quarrels over pipelines is any hint of the mischief they could cause.
Nobody is trying to take the world, please ! because no body can, no body is GOD ! why wouldn't people understand this

User avatar
Haiiro
Posts: 38
Joined: Nov 13th, '08, 04:28
Location: Here and there

Post by Haiiro » Feb 19th, '09, 09:44

Well...to break up the current heated discussion...

I don't hate my country. I just hate the things our government does, and the way it acts in the world. I am certainly sick of every president or politician thinking that "The US has to save the world, lawl", because it's a bullsh*t way to look at things.

...and I can tell you that a lot of us feel this way. Though it does seem that we are a minority, considering the way the votes go. Or our craptastic choices in ruling officers.

But I like my country itself, and the people in the places I've lived here. I just want to go out and experience other countries. I've already been to France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Mexico, and Jamaica. And I've always wanted to go visit Japan.

But for now, at the end of the day, I'm okay with living in the U.S. (Besides, If I were to move to a different country it wouldn't be Japan. I'd go Canada or Switzerland I think. Even then, I think I could only do it for a little while, maybe.) It is my home, and don't we all have a certain fondness for our homes?

This arguing which is better doesn't help matters at all. Neither does blind hate of other cultures based upon the sh*theads who run the country.
Image
http://community.livejournal.com/satousweetness
watching: VOICE, Mei-chan no Shitsuji, RESCUE, Kamen Rider Decade

User avatar
LilyJade
Posts: 80
Joined: Nov 1st, '07, 13:39
Location: Paris, France

Post by LilyJade » Feb 19th, '09, 10:10

I'm French with Vietnamese backgrounds, I was born in France and raised there til now. I love France but I admit I want to live on some other countries to have experience, to know other cultures. By that I don't mean leaving France forever but living for example in the USA, Canada, Vietnam, South Korea or Japan for a few years and then coming back in France.

I love traveling and discovering other cultures and staying in one place is just frustrating for me. Yet, now, I don't really have the choice since I haven't found a career that would permit myself such adventures. :-(

BUT this is clear : I DO NOT hate my France! :P
Image

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Feb 19th, '09, 10:50

Your country is not that perfect as u state because u don't see what's outside your borders. About resources Iraq & Russia have more resources than US but to be able to maintain what so called [ freedom / prosperity ] US make other nations [ e.g. Iraq ] suffer which gives u an Idea about the general mentality of the people there [using guns before brains to resolve everything] while compared to JAPAN and this is one of the main reason I ditch US, is that Japanese despite others call it a self-centric nation, has more friends in the world than the US. Japanese were able to maintain a high life style society while also giving a nice / pretty face to the world [e.g the least is Playstation]. Long Live The Land of the Rising Sun <= Aishteru ^_^
First things first the U.S. contributes more to the world than Japan, the reason japan has more "friends" is because its neutral when it comes to politics. The U.S. preaches democracy which Japan itself does not, we give out more support to the world than Japan has to date, we've donated upwards of 1 Trillion dollars in aid around the world while Japans contribution lays lower than 300 billion. Don't also over look the fact that the U.S. gives military aid to nations in need of security. Oh yeah btw the land of the
rising sun has a lot of bad karma in the region for their atrocities during WWII. I'm not here to flame Japan but I can tell you for a fact the U.S. is more involved in the world and influential than Japan is in the world, hell even China is becoming more influential. Just to end this, when the genocide was going on in the Yugoslavian region or when revolts started rising up in semi stable african nations or the first Iraq war who was it they asked for assistance? Yeah I didn't see and Japanese flags during these interventions did you? Also I've been outside my borders, so far I've been to Canada, Britain, Jamaica and my grandparents village in Bangladesh. Get your facts straight before posting my friend.
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
~kani~
Posts: 31
Joined: Apr 27th, '08, 11:26

Post by ~kani~ » Feb 19th, '09, 10:59

I love my country, with its healt care and education systems.
I live in Finland, btw. And I love the clean enviroment we still have here. But sometimes it's not so easy to get connected to people here and make friends because everyone tend to mind their own business. Maybe because they think that the government takes care of us so we 'don't have to' take care of each other, "paying high taxes should be enough!".

I have been to the USA and I was surprised a little bit. My expectations had been much worse. It is actually a quite nice place. But you could see clearly the difference between the poor and the rich. =/ and For example gas stations were usually very shabby. And recycling is apparently not in fashion. But I loved the people there, I'll definitely visit America again ^^ just to meet some nice people who dare to talk to strangers and smile often ((even though it might be afake smile).

Living in a peaceful, rich and well-being country, I used to think that it must be horrible to live in a place like Latvia (google, if you don't know where it is ^^) where corruption is part of everyday life and the government is really poor even though some citizens are super rich. . But our school has a friend school in Latvia so we visited those students there and they visited us the next year... after all their life wasn't that different from ours. I think that you can live your life happily in almost all parts of the world. Wars and conflicts are another story.

(btw, before I watched any j-dramas I had heard that in Japan it's really important to speak formally to your superiors and address people in the right way or you are in trouble. I thought that Japan must be really stressfull and difficult place to live and people can't live normally beucause they have to watch their words.. I thought that I never would like to visit Japan. Now I want =( )

User avatar
sungie
Posts: 418
Joined: Nov 26th, '06, 13:00
Contact:

Post by sungie » Feb 19th, '09, 11:11

~kani~ wrote: (btw, before I watched any j-dramas I had heard that in Japan it's really important to speak formally to your superiors and address people in the right way or you are in trouble. I thought that Japan must be really stressfull and difficult place to live and people can't live normally beucause they have to watch their words.. I thought that I never would like to visit Japan. Now I want =( )
This may be problematic for people who speak language where there exist no polite way of talking. Finnish, unfortunately I think, is one of those languages (yes, I'm a Finn).

User avatar
~kani~
Posts: 31
Joined: Apr 27th, '08, 11:26

Post by ~kani~ » Feb 19th, '09, 11:27

sungie wrote:
~kani~ wrote: (btw, before I watched any j-dramas I had heard that in Japan it's really important to speak formally to your superiors and address people in the right way or you are in trouble. I thought that Japan must be really stressfull and difficult place to live and people can't live normally beucause they have to watch their words.. I thought that I never would like to visit Japan. Now I want =( )
This may be problematic for people who speak language where there exist no polite way of talking. Finnish, unfortunately I think, is one of those languages (yes, I'm a Finn).
hehe, well we do have some polite forms inour language but we hardly ever use them. Politeness is expressed in different ways.

But now, after getting to know japanese culture more, I don't think that formal/informal
speech is that weird and difficult. =)

in addition my previous post: I think that before you say anything about a country, you should know at least a little bit of its history. And I don't like people who think their country is the best. Maybe it's the best country to live for them but the worst for somebody else. =) I know that American media don't really talk about any other countries than the USA (and Iraq etc.) so it's not Americans' fault if they don't know much about the rest of the world. The country itself is so huge that there's enough to learn about.(?)

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 501
Joined: Feb 16th, '07, 01:51
Contact:

Post by ethidda » Feb 19th, '09, 11:34

I was born in Boston and have lived in the US for most of my life (I have also lived in China and currently live in Switzerland). I've also lived in Japan, France, and Russia for short amounts of time (3-4 weeks in each place). I've enjoyed every place I've lived in, and don't regret any of it. There are positives and negatives to every city and every country.

However, honestly, I would say that I would still prefer to live in the US. Of course, I could go through and list the pros and cons of each country, but it suffices to say that I feel much better equipped to live in the US than any other country. Even within the US, I have preferences for certain cities, and would never live in other places.

Anybody who hates the US (the foreigners, I mean) should also remember that the worst part of American policies is probably its foreign policy. Although it affects us, foreign policy does not impact us nearly as much as domestic policies do, and our domestic policies are quite good. As many have mentioned, we have many freedoms and rights, and few things to fear from our government (besides the mythical unknown government agencies working on secret technologies :P )

So in short, while I'm not proud of the American stereotype, I am proud to be American (and I do not say I am Canadian or Chinese or what not when I go to foreign countries). Our country has faults, just as any other country, and though I do not want to live ONLY in the US, I do like living mainly in the US.

User avatar
sungie
Posts: 418
Joined: Nov 26th, '06, 13:00
Contact:

Post by sungie » Feb 19th, '09, 12:21

~kani~ wrote:
sungie wrote:
~kani~ wrote: (btw, before I watched any j-dramas I had heard that in Japan it's really important to speak formally to your superiors and address people in the right way or you are in trouble. I thought that Japan must be really stressfull and difficult place to live and people can't live normally beucause they have to watch their words.. I thought that I never would like to visit Japan. Now I want =( )
This may be problematic for people who speak language where there exist no polite way of talking. Finnish, unfortunately I think, is one of those languages (yes, I'm a Finn).
hehe, well we do have some polite forms inour language but we hardly ever use them. Politeness is expressed in different ways.
Yeah, well pretty much only "te" instead of "sinä". And I think if you talk that way to anyone on his middle age or younger you will receive nasty glances. Dialects here are so damn strong lol

But back to the topic, I don't hate living in Finland. Except its location in the middle of nowhere and some people thinking Finland either a) is a capital of Norway or b) is part of Russia (lol just few random experiences of mine), this country has so many good things. And I can always move if I want :roll

Quoccus
Posts: 1
Joined: Feb 19th, '09, 00:27

Post by Quoccus » Feb 19th, '09, 16:16

the reason japan does not step out of place is because it is very obedient to the US. This peace you blindly think is because they know they can not act out of place or ie. Nuclear. Given a chance they would take over china in a heart beat. Japan is a very small island with limited resources compare to china, as china develops you will see that it has the resources, land and population to make japan look like 2 nd rate.

America is one of the richest in oil don't be fooled, their merely not producing it all or stock piling it, what you think the prices of oil will be if the middle east is dry?

Don't get me wrong this topic isn't about where you live, it is more about psychological and wealth, you are not happy with your life because you do not have the money to change it and you psychologically think life is different because of what is portrayed on TV.

How about a warlord or a oil rich land owner in a 3rd world country? is his life worse than yours because it is in a last rate country while you are in the land of the free?

I'm well traveled and do say i live out of a suitcase sometimes, there are lots in the world to see and everyone should have the opportunity to see it in their lifetime. But you should be thinking what your home really is, it is where (hate them or not) your family is your friends, your past? as creatures of habits this is a hard thing to let go.

You can compare different types of grass till the sun turns blue, but which country your in grass is still grass (i have hay fever this is the most logical reference to me).

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 19th, '09, 18:56

Quoccus wrote:the reason japan does not step out of place is because it is very obedient to the US. This peace you blindly think is because they know they can not act out of place or ie. Nuclear. Given a chance they would take over china in a heart beat. Japan is a very small island with limited resources compare to china, as china develops you will see that it has the resources, land and population to make japan look like 2 nd rate.

America is one of the richest in oil don't be fooled, their merely not producing it all or stock piling it, what you think the prices of oil will be if the middle east is dry?

Don't get me wrong this topic isn't about where you live, it is more about psychological and wealth, you are not happy with your life because you do not have the money to change it and you psychologically think life is different because of what is portrayed on TV.

How about a warlord or a oil rich land owner in a 3rd world country? is his life worse than yours because it is in a last rate country while you are in the land of the free?

I'm well traveled and do say i live out of a suitcase sometimes, there are lots in the world to see and everyone should have the opportunity to see it in their lifetime. But you should be thinking what your home really is, it is where (hate them or not) your family is your friends, your past? as creatures of habits this is a hard thing to let go.

You can compare different types of grass till the sun turns blue, but which country your in grass is still grass (i have hay fever this is the most logical reference to me).
THIS IS BECOMING MORE LIKE A POLITICAL TOPIC. BUT LET ME TELL U THAT CHINA IMITATES JAPAN WITH EVERY ASPECT, CHINA ISN'T INNOVATE AND JAPAN WOULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT TAKING BACK CHINA. I RESPECT THE JAPANESE BECAUSE THEY WERE THE ONLY NATION WHO WAS BOMBED HEAVILY BY NUKES JUST FOR THE AMERICAN TO SEE WHAT THEIR UGLY BOY DOES ! AND IT IS ALSO THE ONLY NATION WHO WAS ABLE TO RECOVER FASTER THAN ANY EXPECTED TO REACH NUMBER ONE TECHNOLOGY, THERE'S NEARLY ANYTHING THAT YOU OWN THAT HAS A JAPANESE COMPONENT IN IT. THIS IS THE SPIRIT OF THE SAMURAI. IF CHINA DOESN'T WANT TO ACCEPT JAPAN'S APOLOGY THEN IT'S NOT JAPAN'S PROBLEM. ALSO, FROM WHAT I NOTICED UNTIL NOW, WESTERNS DON'T UNDERSTAND EASTERN CULTURE, TO THEM IT IS CALLED RESTRICTIONS OR OBSTACLES, TO EASTERN IT IS CALLED DISCIPLINE. I GOT TIRED OF THIS TOPIC. I SHOULD GET TO JAPAN SOMEDAY....KAMI SAMA ONEGAI SHIMASU !!!
Last edited by GATX303 on Feb 19th, '09, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Feb 19th, '09, 19:04

I think the threads getting a little off topic lol
Anyway happy bday GATX303 ^.^
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 19th, '09, 19:04

~kani~ wrote:I love my country, with its healt care and education systems.
I live in Finland, btw. And I love the clean enviroment we still have here. But sometimes it's not so easy to get connected to people here and make friends because everyone tend to mind their own business. Maybe because they think that the government takes care of us so we 'don't have to' take care of each other, "paying high taxes should be enough!".

I have been to the USA and I was surprised a little bit. My expectations had been much worse. It is actually a quite nice place. But you could see clearly the difference between the poor and the rich. =/ and For example gas stations were usually very shabby. And recycling is apparently not in fashion. But I loved the people there, I'll definitely visit America again ^^ just to meet some nice people who dare to talk to strangers and smile often ((even though it might be afake smile).

Living in a peaceful, rich and well-being country, I used to think that it must be horrible to live in a place like Latvia (google, if you don't know where it is ^^) where corruption is part of everyday life and the government is really poor even though some citizens are super rich. . But our school has a friend school in Latvia so we visited those students there and they visited us the next year... after all their life wasn't that different from ours. I think that you can live your life happily in almost all parts of the world. Wars and conflicts are another story.

(btw, before I watched any j-dramas I had heard that in Japan it's really important to speak formally to your superiors and address people in the right way or you are in trouble. I thought that Japan must be really stressfull and difficult place to live and people can't live normally beucause they have to watch their words.. I thought that I never would like to visit Japan. Now I want =( )
I LOVE FINLAND ^_^ NEVER BEEN THERE BUT I KNOW IT IS QUITE AND CLEAN. IN HERE I AM GAT-X303 BUT IN MSN MESSENGER AND COMPUTER GAMES, I AM KNOWN AS NIGHTWISH FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS NOW. THANK YOU FINLAND FOR SUCH A BAND

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 19th, '09, 19:12

kuro570 wrote:I think the threads getting a little off topic lol
Anyway happy bday GATX303 ^.^
ARIGATO KURO SAMA, HOW LONG DID IT TAKE U TO UNDERSTAND THAT I WAS HEATING THIS TOPIC, UNTIL I GET " O TANJOBI OMEDETO " FROM THE MEMBERS ^_^

User avatar
sungie
Posts: 418
Joined: Nov 26th, '06, 13:00
Contact:

Post by sungie » Feb 19th, '09, 19:17

^ Please don't type the whole message in capitals. It's hard to read.

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Feb 19th, '09, 19:19

GATX303 wrote:
kuro570 wrote:I think the threads getting a little off topic lol
Anyway happy bday GATX303 ^.^
ARIGATO KURO SAMA, HOW LONG DID IT TAKE U TO UNDERSTAND THAT I WAS HEATING THIS TOPIC, UNTIL I GET " O TANJOBI OMEDETO " FROM THE MEMBERS ^_^
Lol I really didn't notice till I saw the cake lol
お誕生日おめでとうございます^.^

Btw what games do you play?
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 19th, '09, 19:41

kuro570 wrote:
Lol I really didn't notice till I saw the cake lol
お誕生日おめでとうございます^.^

Btw what games do you play?
LOL ^_^

The Games I play are mostly japanese:

- FINAL FANTASY
- Genji: Days of The Blade <= Great Japanese historical aspects
- Fatal Frame <= I stopped playing it coz it's soooo scary
- Resident Evil [biohazzard]
- Sonic <= on trips
- Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria <= can't wait till it goes next gen
- Metal Gear Solid
- Saint Seiya <= childhood fantasy
- The Lord of the Rings
- Need For Speed <= when I break up with girls / When I get bad grades back then and had to face my father & mother !
- StarCraft
- WarCraft
- World in Conflict <= I wanted to see how US gets conquered :P no offense
That's it, If I remember something I'll add it, what about u ?

User avatar
tha space ace
Posts: 9
Joined: Feb 19th, '09, 19:58
Location: 3rd Coast FLA

Post by tha space ace » Feb 19th, '09, 20:03

GATX303 dew u really live in al-ain

btw i was formaly known as ILoveKoyuki (got tired of tha caps)

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 19th, '09, 20:13

tha space ace wrote:GATX303 dew u really live in al-ain

btw i was formaly known as ILoveKoyuki (got tired of tha caps)
YES I do live in Al-Ain in UAE..but I am from Lebanon originally

User avatar
tha space ace
Posts: 9
Joined: Feb 19th, '09, 19:58
Location: 3rd Coast FLA

Post by tha space ace » Feb 19th, '09, 20:40

thats cool
have you ever travelled to abu Zabi and seen tha shaykh zaayed masjid

User avatar
kittykhatz20
Posts: 92
Joined: Jan 11th, '08, 07:50
Location: Manila

Post by kittykhatz20 » Feb 19th, '09, 21:07

Ahehehe just read the topic and I kind of find it interesting... made me ask myself that same question...

I don't hate my country...I'm from the Philippines by the way... I don't hate the fact that I live in a third world country that is filled with brilliant people that are often under-rated by the fact that they're Filipinos.... I'd like to go to Japan and other Asian and European countries simply because I want to travel and see other cultures....I like watching Jdoramas and Kdramas because the movies and series in our country often run around the same plot lines. and some actors in our country are merely good looking with no acting skills or other talents to boot. i also want to learn different languages because it's always fun to learn something different.

i must admit I hate the fact that even if the Philippines is a considerably free country we still can't really ultimately say we're free. Our government even if it is a democracy still serves those who have money. Not everyone has health benefits and if we do have one it's not from our government but through employee health insurance. Our Educational System needs all the help it can get because of lack of resources. We get a lot of graduates every year with no work available in our country that often times they end up working overseas or if there is a job available it would not pay well for a family to survive.Some who would go abroad would even take a blue collar job even if they a have Master's degree under their belt just to earn a living for their family.

I think the circumstances in our country is sad but I know that somehow there are others with worse conditions and we still have a lot to be thankful for. I opted to work in my country instead of somewhere else even if I can actually apply overseas but I have yet to give back to my country and a good thing about us Filipinos would be our close family ties. i wouldn't have a problem taking care of an ailing grand parent because at some point in our lives they played a big role.

it may seem backwards or lame but no matter how westernized or modern some filipinoes may get there are still a lot who appreciate who we really are, where we are from and the morals and values that make us who we are.

Well, we can hate or love where we came from but not accepting where you're from is just like lying to yourself. okay... now that was me being preachy... sorry about that...
Image
:thumleft: Is it a crime to be mesmerized? :thumright:
heard that procrastinating is bad... but nobody told me its this addictive

ssih
Posts: 232
Joined: Sep 6th, '08, 18:34
Location: Boston

Post by ssih » Feb 19th, '09, 21:28

Boy, this topic went sour for a while!

My opinion is that a country is a lot more than what its politicians do. For most of us on this forum, our view of Japan is based primarily on the jdramas what we've seen. We're not watching political intrigue - we're usually exposed to the personal lives of regular (albeit fairly cool) people, and it seems like a nice place to live. I wouldn't mind spending a year in Japan and getting a feel for real life there. But at the end of the day... er, year... I'm sure I'd like to be where I grew up.

User avatar
tha space ace
Posts: 9
Joined: Feb 19th, '09, 19:58
Location: 3rd Coast FLA

Post by tha space ace » Feb 19th, '09, 21:43

kittykhatz20 wrote:Ahehehe just read the topic and I kind of find it interesting... made me ask myself that same question...

I don't hate my country...I'm from the Philippines by the way... I don't hate the fact that I live in a third world country that is filled with brilliant people that are often under-rated by the fact that they're Filipinos.... I'd like to go to Japan and other Asian and European countries simply because I want to travel and see other cultures....I like watching Jdoramas and Kdramas because the movies and series in our country often run around the same plot lines. and some actors in our country are merely good looking with no acting skills or other talents to boot. i also want to learn different languages because it's always fun to learn something different.

i must admit I hate the fact that even if the Philippines is a considerably free country we still can't really ultimately say we're free. Our government even if it is a democracy still serves those who have money. Not everyone has health benefits and if we do have one it's not from our government but through employee health insurance. Our Educational System needs all the help it can get because of lack of resources. We get a lot of graduates every year with no work available in our country that often times they end up working overseas or if there is a job available it would not pay well for a family to survive.Some who would go abroad would even take a blue collar job even if they a have Master's degree under their belt just to earn a living for their family.

I think the circumstances in our country is sad but I know that somehow there are others with worse conditions and we still have a lot to be thankful for. I opted to work in my country instead of somewhere else even if I can actually apply overseas but I have yet to give back to my country and a good thing about us Filipinos would be our close family ties. i wouldn't have a problem taking care of an ailing grand parent because at some point in our lives they played a big role.

it may seem backwards or lame but no matter how westernized or modern some filipinoes may get there are still a lot who appreciate who we really are, where we are from and the morals and values that make us who we are.

Well, we can hate or love where we came from but not accepting where you're from is just like lying to yourself. okay... now that was me being preachy... sorry about that...

that seems to be tha case in most democracies
tha politicians workin for tha ppl who have money that is
anyone who tries to refute dat fact is an obvious fool
not everyone has a membership to tha country club where tha powerful constituents are

it seems dat tha government and tha people are two seperate entities to me
does anyone else feel this way

ssih
Posts: 232
Joined: Sep 6th, '08, 18:34
Location: Boston

Post by ssih » Feb 19th, '09, 21:52

tha space ace wrote:that seems to be tha case in most democracies
tha politicians workin for tha ppl who have money that is
anyone who tries to refute dat fact is an obvious fool
not everyone has a membership to tha country club where tha powerful constituents are

it seems dat tha government and tha people are two seperate entities to me
does anyone else feel this way
Is this really the best place for this topic?

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Feb 19th, '09, 21:55

ssih wrote:
tha space ace wrote:that seems to be tha case in most democracies
tha politicians workin for tha ppl who have money that is
anyone who tries to refute dat fact is an obvious fool
not everyone has a membership to tha country club where tha powerful constituents are

it seems dat tha government and tha people are two seperate entities to me
does anyone else feel this way
Is this really the best place for this topic?
Why not? We've said worst before that about each others nations so far lol
Remember saying why you dislike or hate where you were born is also the question ^.^
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
kittykhatz20
Posts: 92
Joined: Jan 11th, '08, 07:50
Location: Manila

Post by kittykhatz20 » Feb 20th, '09, 01:32


sorry you guys... didn't want to screw up your discussion... albeit my depiction of how i see life in my country... I'm still fortunate... and politics as good as the real meaning of the word is if you study it's origins... doesn't actually work for it's people like it should... unless you're in a country that's looked upon by others.

gomenasai... minna.. dropping the politics if it stirs up the topic.
Image
:thumleft: Is it a crime to be mesmerized? :thumright:
heard that procrastinating is bad... but nobody told me its this addictive

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 20th, '09, 04:20

tha space ace wrote:thats cool
have you ever travelled to abu Zabi and seen tha shaykh zaayed masjid
of course it is awesome, I'll tell u this, one time I went to Abu Dhabi, it was foggy, I looked at the mosque and it appeared to me as if it were built in the sky, much like a dream.
Last edited by GATX303 on Feb 20th, '09, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fjnoheart
Posts: 82
Joined: Jan 27th, '09, 03:16
Contact:

Post by fjnoheart » Feb 20th, '09, 05:05

nah...we just envy what we lack of :thumright:

if i were given a chance to change my nationality hehe..i will choose between japanese and british..
if you want to ask if i like or love my country....i hate where it was now, its ruined yet surviving...eh? i dont want to talk more about this..im kinda sour :alcoholic:

User avatar
tha space ace
Posts: 9
Joined: Feb 19th, '09, 19:58
Location: 3rd Coast FLA

Post by tha space ace » Feb 20th, '09, 05:09

GATX303 wrote:
tha space ace wrote:thats cool
have you ever travelled to abu Zabi and seen tha shaykh zaayed masjid
of course it is awesome, I'll tell u this one time, I went to Abu Dhabi and it was foggy and I looked at the mosque and it appeared to me as if it were build in the sky, much like a dream.
dat sounds amazing
is it really expensive living in tha emirates

User avatar
tha space ace
Posts: 9
Joined: Feb 19th, '09, 19:58
Location: 3rd Coast FLA

Post by tha space ace » Feb 20th, '09, 05:10

kuro570 wrote:
ssih wrote:
tha space ace wrote:that seems to be tha case in most democracies
tha politicians workin for tha ppl who have money that is
anyone who tries to refute dat fact is an obvious fool
not everyone has a membership to tha country club where tha powerful constituents are

it seems dat tha government and tha people are two seperate entities to me
does anyone else feel this way
Is this really the best place for this topic?
Why not? We've said worst before that about each others nations so far lol
Remember saying why you dislike or hate where you were born is also the question ^.^
lol exactly :lol

User avatar
GATX303
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 20th, '08, 05:48
Location: U.A.E - Abou Dhabi

Post by GATX303 » Feb 20th, '09, 11:31

tha space ace wrote:
GATX303 wrote:
tha space ace wrote:thats cool
have you ever travelled to abu Zabi and seen tha shaykh zaayed masjid
of course it is awesome, I'll tell u this one time, I went to Abu Dhabi and it was foggy and I looked at the mosque and it appeared to me as if it were build in the sky, much like a dream.
dat sounds amazing
is it really expensive living in tha emirates
Dubai YES !! it is very expensive to live there. Abu Dhabi is affordable. All in All the thing that is most expensive in U.A.E is the accommodation, the rental price is above normal. it's becoming more like a forbidden city.

garnet07
Posts: 534
Joined: May 4th, '04, 04:18
Location: Cali, USA
Contact:

Post by garnet07 » Feb 22nd, '09, 07:20

Born in the Philippines but I guess grew up in the US for 2/3 of my life. Actually glad that my family moved to US and got better education and living conditions. But still proud to be a Filipina with some Chinese descent.
Image
Waiting:
J: WatashiGaRenaiDekinaiRiyuu, HimitsuErika, NankyokuTairiku, KaseifuNoMita, NazotokiDinner
K: TreeWithDeepRoots, FlowerShop, Me2Flower
C: InTimeWithYou

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Feb 24th, '09, 17:20

Um... born in the states. I don't love my country, I'm not like a patriot or anything, nor do I hate my country. In my opinion there are pros and cons about living here. But I think it's interesting when people say they move to the US fir better education. Because I moved from Trenton (capital of NJ) to my current home for a better education ^_^U I know our education opportunities are better than other places, but even here... depending on where you go and where you live, lots of stuff are very unfortunate. (Especially in major cities, some people aren't the one committing the crimes, but have to live in that area because it's to expensive to move) I do wish we recycle more and take are Earth seriously like S. Korea and Japan does (I bet other places do too, but those are the two countries I visited so far) And I don't like how animals for consumption are being treated either in the US, but every country has issues. But I not am I fortunate to be born here, but to be born during this time period. The 1800's-1970's, I don't know how I would survive. So many people on this thread kept saying how much American had freedom, don't forget major discrimination ended only about..... 50-60 years ago and slavery a little bit over a hundred fifty years ago. America still have a lot to improve on when it comes with other cultures and races.

BUT! I feel happy to be brought up around different people. When I went to S. Korea, I was thinking to myself "Well, it's not my first time seeing Koreans," but it was their first time seeing Americans, and most of them were Black (in my class) So I feel happy to see different type of cultures and experience them a little bit.
Image

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Feb 24th, '09, 21:55

I can't speak for the rest of the U.S. since I've only lived in CT but I do visit NY and MA a lot and I love these 3 states and also been to Texas. I'm not saying its perfect it has its share of problems but for the most part I love it. since I'm half black/ Bangladeshi I run into my fair share of racism (mostly in MA) but I don't really care or mind as long as it doesn't get physical. That and especially asians mostly the Koreans I've met for the first time at my college were skeptical to talk to me at first lmao but that all changed after we've got to know each other lol

Last thing I won't lie.. I'm more or less a patriot, I don't believe my government is always right and I don't trust them as much as I would like (if at all for that matter) but I do love where I grew up and the places I've been and my right to keep my AR-15 modified assault rifle ^.^
I <3 Texas lol
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
infundibuliform
Posts: 54
Joined: Sep 22nd, '08, 00:03
Location: California

Post by infundibuliform » Feb 25th, '09, 03:22

I'm from the US and I love being in the US. I hate it when people talk bad about the US when they've never stepped foot here and base us all on the image Bush stapled to their foreheads. We're not stupid. We're not rude. We're not monolingual. I can confidently speak for my generation in saying that young people are getting very interested in foreign languages. I know a handful of people that want to be fluent in Spanish and French from only being inspired by high school.

So I don't hate the US. I would really like to live in Japan, though. But that's because I like the culture and language. If I do go to live in Japan and have a family there, I'd make sure my children are proud that their mother is an American.

angelapprentice
Posts: 2
Joined: Jan 24th, '08, 03:36

Post by angelapprentice » Feb 25th, '09, 05:02

GATX303 wrote:
Puppet Princess wrote:My guess is most of those people don't hate their country, they just wish they could travel and visit others.
I do agree with puppet princess in general..she's right. I was born in a country called Lebanon which was a rich country in the 70s but because of internal political problems and israeli assaults became a 3rd world country even though it is one of the most beautiful countries to live in, it's climate is perfect and 80% of the population speak & understand arabic / english / french fluently so foreigners don't need much effort to communicate with us, but for me I wish I lived in Japan to escape these problems because Japan in general is a neutral country and I am fascinated by the way they keep the tradition while being the most technologically advanced country, also how they keep their country green and mostly they're polite ! One of the reasons I watch Japanese drama is to see more of japan and its culture since I don't have the means of traveling or living there. Why I didn't choose america, because in my opinion what americans call freedom, I call it chaos.Having a big military power doesn't mean u have the right to invade and destroy other people cultures. When I was young I was fascinated by Rambo but little by little when I grew up I saw the real face of this country. No offense for americans out there ! I wish someday I get to visit Japan, at least once before my time finish on planet earth or Tokyo cease to exist like in most Japanese anime ^_^

None taken! :thumleft:
There are many reasons why people might not want to put what country they are from. One reason I've found is due to cultural and sometimes racial stereotypes, racism and prejudice in general. Not that I've seen that in here, but you have incredibly ignorant people that will do that. I've been a "victim" of that myself, but I could care less. (i've been apart of forums where no one would talk to me unless they didn't know my race and where i lived) Others are more sensitive about it. And sadly, sometimes, people are ashamed of where they are from. They have their own personal reasons. No matter how misguided it may seem to others, to each their own. Until you've walked a mile in anothers shoes, you will never truly understand their reasoning.

User avatar
Katschoo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 18th, '09, 13:11
Location: germany

Post by Katschoo » Feb 25th, '09, 16:14

I´m german, like most of us i have problems with saying i´m proud to be. but i like living here, like the landskape the old towns, even like the food ^^. i think i had it well, to be born here, for having free school, healthsysthem an so on. i´m just curios about the rest of the world, would like to travel and so on, but in the and i still want to come home.
ImageImage

liebe911
Posts: 26
Joined: Jan 24th, '09, 09:14
Contact:

Post by liebe911 » Feb 25th, '09, 16:27

I love my place and I just love to live happily there . There are many reasons why people won't write the location just because they are too lazy like me :D

User avatar
tha space ace
Posts: 9
Joined: Feb 19th, '09, 19:58
Location: 3rd Coast FLA

Post by tha space ace » Feb 25th, '09, 17:19

kuro570 wrote:I can't speak for the rest of the U.S. since I've only lived in CT but I do visit NY and MA a lot and I love these 3 states and also been to Texas. I'm not saying its perfect it has its share of problems but for the most part I love it. since I'm half black/ Bangladeshi I run into my fair share of racism (mostly in MA) but I don't really care or mind as long as it doesn't get physical. That and especially asians mostly the Koreans I've met for the first time at my college were skeptical to talk to me at first lmao but that all changed after we've got to know each other lol

Last thing I won't lie.. I'm more or less a patriot, I don't believe my government is always right and I don't trust them as much as I would like (if at all for that matter) but I do love where I grew up and the places I've been and my right to keep my AR-15 modified assault rifle ^.^
I <3 Texas lol

lol modified AR-15 lol
wherr dew u live? OAK CLIFF lol
whuts it modified for so its legal or for full auto

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Feb 25th, '09, 17:34

Its almost modified enough to be close to an M16A2, during the process I did manage to damage my 607 stock in the process but thats not a big deal ^.^
I wouldn't make it full auto since it would be illegal by state law since it wasn't fully auto when purchased but its legal for me to add my Aim point, lead light, rubber front grip, and a 25 round mag, YHM diamond handguard, and a Brugger & Thomet Quad Rail.

Its more or less legal
VSS: Warui Yatsura

User avatar
selvaspeedy
Posts: 9
Joined: Dec 22nd, '08, 15:01
Location: Cairo, Egypt

Post by selvaspeedy » Mar 1st, '09, 21:24

angelapprentice wrote: There are many reasons why people might not want to put what country they are from. One reason I've found is due to cultural and sometimes racial stereotypes, racism and prejudice in general. Not that I've seen that in here, but you have incredibly ignorant people that will do that.
that's the main reason why I didn't say where I'm from the first time I started joining the English forums online. But right now I really don't care. I'm proud to be Egyptian, and proud to be living in this country. It's great to see some open-minded people and realise that we gathered in here because we all love Asian Dramas and that's enough reason :salut:
♥♥ MaWang ♥♥Image Image♥♥ JunKi ♥♥

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Mar 28th, '09, 18:56

Katschoo wrote:I´m german, like most of us i have problems with saying i´m proud to be. but i like living here, like the landskape the old towns, even like the food ^^. i think i had it well, to be born here, for having free school, healthsysthem an so on. i´m just curios about the rest of the world, would like to travel and so on, but in the and i still want to come home.
I <3 Germany, such a badass country. I actually love the lineage much more than the current day country though like about 200 BC when you guys were mostly tribes of barbarians, I think it was the Gauls.
VSS: Warui Yatsura

yamiko
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 28th, '09, 21:41
Location: USA / SG

Post by yamiko » Mar 28th, '09, 22:01

most people who say that believe that the world shown in anime is how japan really is xD
if you actually went oversea's to another country for a good amount of time you'll have a new appreciation for your country.
I live in usa and will actually be moving to live in Singapore because that's where my husband is and for us Singapore will be a better environment but I miss America when I'm over there it's a big change to move country's, almost everything is different it can be so frustrating and scary! you don't know all the rules, the currency is completely different the language and beliefs, food, weather, BUGS, and how people see you it's all different the min you leave America you become a foreigner epically if you look western and have to deal with being the different one. I hear japan is even worse since most Japanese are prejudice against foreigners.
But i still don't totally love my country I'm just used to it. I'll miss my family and government assistance and maybe walmart since Singapore doesn't have discount places like that but nothing else xD

edmond chow
Posts: 2
Joined: Apr 3rd, '09, 17:30

Post by edmond chow » Apr 3rd, '09, 17:33

i born in HOng kong , I love live in hong kong. However my wife bring me over here new york. right now I live o.k.

User avatar
kaoline
Posts: 12
Joined: Apr 18th, '09, 20:12
Location: Denmark, Europe

Post by kaoline » Apr 18th, '09, 21:06

Denmark is fine .. Worlds happiest people .. We're kinda one of the richest and strongest countries, but still .. its like something is missing. We have all we can dream of .. But no one really knows about denmark. And in denmark the people wont really open for new cultures, like asia. That's pretty sad, so im one of the weird ones XD

edmond chow
Posts: 2
Joined: Apr 3rd, '09, 17:30

Post by edmond chow » Apr 18th, '09, 21:21

most people who say that believe that the world shown in anime is how japan really is xD
if you actually went oversea's to another country for a good amount of time you'll have a new appreciation for your country.
I live in usa and will actually be moving to live in Singapore because that's where my husband is and for us Singapore will be a better environment but I miss America when I'm over there it's a big change to move country's, almost everything is different it can be so frustrating and scary! you don't know all the rules, the currency is completely different the language and beliefs, food, weather, BUGS, and how people see you it's all different the min you leave America you become a foreigner epically if you look western and have to deal with being the different one. I hear japan is even worse since most Japanese are prejudice against foreigners.
But i still don't totally love my country I'm just used to it. I'll miss my family and government assistance and maybe walmart since Singapore doesn't have discount places like that but nothing

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest