Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Do you think that the boyband era is over?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
aznsleepyhead

Do you think that the boyband era is over?

Post by aznsleepyhead » Feb 16th, '09, 19:34

I don't think that the boy band era is over not in asia anyway. It's pretty much over in america b/c let's face it all the celebrities always go solo sooner or later. But in asia it's different. For example boy bands are very popular in Korea and Taiwan. Like for example Big Bang, DBSK, Super junior and Lollipop. Feel free to post any of your thoughts about boy bands in this thread.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 20th, '09, 22:50

first off, i can't believe i'm getting myself into a boy band discussion. yes, i deserve to have my man-card revoked.

that said, i disagree that boy bands (or girl bands, for that matter) will ever be "over" in america. believe me when i say i wouldn't lose a minute of sleep, but it's part of pop culture. of course, you had backstreet boys and nsync, but you can go as far back as the 60s with the beatles and even the present day w/ those jonas guys or whatevers. there will be more spice girls and other girl bands as well. it's just a matter of time.

someone, somewhere is putting together a boy band right now. and if no one is, then you should major in marketing or something and create one of your own to make millions.

as for asia specifically, i don't have a clue.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Feb 21st, '09, 01:42

I thought it was already over :lol (I don't admit to my friends who aren't into asian stuff that I listen to boybands XD)
Rock is more in than pop in the western culture.. Pretty boys that dance aren't really "in" anymore.
I don't think the fad's going to die in Asia anytime soon. Maybe they'll get a rock revolution.

nasi_tambah1

Post by nasi_tambah1 » Feb 21st, '09, 03:05

Boy band era definitely over in Malaysia.

aznsleepyhead

Post by aznsleepyhead » Feb 21st, '09, 03:08

hmms i don't about malasysia b/c i never listen to music from there but i know it's quite popular in other asian countries like i said b4. I know in america it's pretty much over like jholic said rock is more popular than pop in america. But i think R&B is actually more popular.

groink

Post by groink » Feb 21st, '09, 07:49

Like jholic said, boy bands have always been around. And they will always be around.

The question here, however, is the popularity and/or influence in Asia. The original poster mentioned only Korean boy bands, and that says something because the boy bands in Korea haven't influenced TV dramas as much as they have in Japan. The problem with Japan is the way the geinokai is structured. Much like Microsoft is to operating systems, Johnny's Jimusho has not only a monopoly in the entertainment business, but he has the kind of influence that literally scares the beejesus out of anyone who goes against Johnny, such as hiring a male from a competing agency.

I believe that the monopoly has actually reached its peak. Yes, the fans allowed all of this to happen. But, in the last two years, dramas highlighting a Johnny are getting beaten in the ratings - season after season by the jidaigeki dramas, the cop dramas, and even the old fart dramas. Even Kimutaku's last drama failed to do much (it would've finished 3rd if it wasn't for the last episode.) Basically, manga and anime boys turning live was a novelty, and everyone thought it was cool and all. But after a few years of it, the novelty's wearing off.

As for their primary purpose in life - the music - I think the music hit its peak about two years ago. I don't allow those annual Johnny's shows to gauge things. Instead, I use NHK's Kouhaku because only the cream of the cream of the cream of the crop show up here. The usuals made it to the 59th even, such as SMAP, TOKIO, and WaT. But Arashi, KAT-TUN and such were missing. If boy bands were really still big, there should be a changing of the guard among the bands every few years, just like how SMAP replaced Hikaru Genji in the early 1990s, and Hikaru Genji replacing Finger 5 before that. But I'm not seeing this! Instead, Johnny allows SMAP and TOKIO to basically become the Rolling Stones of Japanese music IMO.

--- groink

aznsleepyhead

Post by aznsleepyhead » Feb 21st, '09, 07:54

groink wrote:Like jholic said, boy bands have always been around. And they will always be around.

The question here, however, is the popularity and/or influence in Asia. The original poster mentioned only Korean boy bands, and that says something because the boy bands in Korea haven't influenced TV dramas as much as they have in Japan. The problem with Japan is the way the geinokai is structured. Much like Microsoft is to operating systems, Johnny's Jimusho has not only a monopoly in the entertainment business, but he has the kind of influence that literally scares the beejesus out of anyone who goes against Johnny, such as hiring a male from a competing agency.

I believe that the monopoly has actually reached its peak. Yes, the fans allowed all of this to happen. But, in the last two years, dramas highlighting a Johnny are getting beaten in the ratings - season after season by the jidaigeki dramas, the cop dramas, and even the old fart dramas. Even Kimutaku's last drama failed to do much (it would've finished 3rd if it wasn't for the last episode.) Basically, manga and anime boys turning live was a novelty, and everyone thought it was cool and all. But after a few years of it, the novelty's wearing off.

As for their primary purpose in life - the music - I think the music hit its peak about two years ago. I don't allow those annual Johnny's shows to gauge things. Instead, I use NHK's Kouhaku because only the cream of the cream of the cream of the crop show up here. The usuals made it to the 59th even, such as SMAP, TOKIO, and WaT. But Arashi, KAT-TUN and such were missing. If boy bands were really still big, there should be a changing of the guard among the bands every few years, just like how SMAP replaced Hikaru Genji in the early 1990s, and Hikaru Genji replacing Finger 5 before that. But I'm not seeing this! Instead, Johnny allows SMAP and TOKIO to basically become the Rolling Stones of Japanese music IMO.

--- groink
This is true in my original post i neglected in mentioning japan. But the thing is i haven't paid attention to japan's boy groups much. The ones i do know are from songs from animes. I don't really know many from the dramas. Almost every member in a boy group has starred in a drama such as Wu chun in Romantic Princess.

liebe911

Post by liebe911 » Feb 21st, '09, 07:59

Is it not over I doubt, Its over for me atleast.

xxemz19xx

Post by xxemz19xx » Feb 21st, '09, 20:42

I think the Boyband era will never be over, it just evolves.
In the west look at bands like Mcfly or Eilliot Minor both are rock but to me they are boybands.
They have just evolved from the stereotype of boyband.

In Asia however I think the original type of boyband are still popular because of they have a whole media outlet, meaning the guys in "Boybands" are everywhere they don't just sing and dance. meaning they are atractting a wider audience. It also seems like it's not a bad thing to like a boyband, it seems like a cultural norm.

isbes83

Post by isbes83 » Feb 21st, '09, 20:54

yup, i agree with xxemz19xx. most of the evolved they don't sing dance anymore. they sing while playing muscial instruments especially guitar, because this seems more cool i guess, fro example Jonas brother and mcfly. but when you listen carefully theur songs is more or less the same with boybands pop song.
but after take that, i seem to noticed that most boy bands realized that its better if they stick together rather than pursuing solo career as 5 cute guys attracts more fans than 1 cute guys. that is why backstreet boy, westlife and take that stays together and i think boyzone is following their footsteps.
I salute take that, eventhough they are all old and fat, i still like them. Gary barlow is the best song-writer.

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Feb 22nd, '09, 22:51

it ain't over yet. NKB just released an album. LOL... New Kids On The Block rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 23rd, '09, 07:35

scott12199 wrote:it ain't over yet. NKB just released an album. LOL... New Kids On The Block rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahaha
if menuedo releases another album, i will get the sharpest pencil i can find and impale myself with it.

groink

Post by groink » Feb 23rd, '09, 07:37

jholic wrote:if menuedo releases another album, i will get the sharpest pencil i can find and impale myself with it.
My friends and I egged Menudo's limo when they visited Hawaii in 1983 (or was it 1984?)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Feb 23rd, '09, 08:11

There have always been singing groups. The name 'boy bands' is really a misnomer since most of them just dance and sing or maybe just sing.

The good ones just go on. SMAP has been performing for anout twenty years really. they all do other stuff such as dramas but during their time together they have had to work hard to learn lots of other skills. Kimura especially is a kendo expert and is a fine shot with guns or bow and arrow. His eye is always spot on. I think they have all had a go at playing the piano for at least one performacne either in a drama or on the concert stage.
Does anyone remember the MILLS brothers?? and what about the girl groups. the ANDREWS sisters the BOSWELL sisters. Boy am I dating myself into a corner here. It is just that singing groups go on in a slightly different style all the time. I think there were a couple in the forties like the MERRY MACS and the MELODYMAKERS. At that time it was usually four boys and a girl. Used to be the girl in a group way back then.

The Asian groups are into dancing more than the Western groups I think. they have schools that teach all the moves before they go out into public performance. Life is real and life is serious in this realm.

Peg

groink

Post by groink » Feb 23rd, '09, 08:51

I have to disagree with Peggy's definition of "boy band." I think she's taking the literal definition that several people at one time tried to force upon on Wikipedia, which basically states "If you're male, your other members are males, then you're a boy band." Groups like the Mills Brothers, The Beatles, etc. were never considered boy bands. The definition the entertainment industry and media use is the idea that the band was pre-fabricated by a producer or promoter, rather than the more natural way where the members discover each other.

As for Asians focusing more on dancing than the west, there is only half-truth to this. What's missing here is, for example, how Hikaru Genji got the idea of both dance and roller skates. They took the idea from the Bay City Rollers, when roller skating was huge in America during the 1970s. Many young people don't realize just how much popular culture the Japanese copied from the western world during the 1970s - including the teeny-bopper idol idea which were inspired by the likes of Donny Osmond, Tony Defranco and his family, etc. Many of these groups were boogieing their way to stardom years before the Japanese ever picked up on it. The only really original idea the Japanese produced out of all of this is how the boy band was marketed. Unlike the west, the agency system Watanabe Susumu invented (read about ザ・ヒットパレード during the 1960s) allowed the boy bands to become entertainers (vs recording artists which most American groups were marketed.)

So just keep this one idea in mind - boy bands is pre-fabricated by executives.

--- groink

shiningstarss

Post by shiningstarss » Feb 23rd, '09, 17:23

*love SMAP*

*love L'arc~en~ciel"

never over!

hazelkenro
Location: Mocomichi Hayami,Teppei Koike and Wentz Eiji Paradise

Post by hazelkenro » Feb 23rd, '09, 17:33

I think They're not

ARASHI
NEWS
KAT-TUN
HSJ
and a lot MOre!!!!!
Wohoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/i]

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Feb 23rd, '09, 19:51

Hi groink.
You are surely correct in the idea that 'boy bands' are pre fabricated. Certainly the Taiwanese group F4 was pulled together by a woman who wanted to make a drama called 'Meteor Garden' She found her four young men and they were groomed into a singing group so that they could play the roles for her in the drama. The fact that they could not sing was immaterial. Electronics in studios can do miracles.

However, for me, what I see and hear when there is a group in front of me is what I can call either a 'boy band' or a group of performers. Some of them are up for showing pretty faces and some are genuine professional who joined into a group.

In any event I do not think we have seen the last of these artists whether they have talent or not.

At least I know that when I watch SMAP I am watching five guys who have been trained for years together and they now know exactly what they are doing when they are on stage. Their problem is that they are now so good at what they all do, in and out of the group, that there is a question of whether they can ever be pulled apart.

They are a golden group for Johnny Jimusho, and he is not likely to let go the lock and key.

Other groups do break up and in Korea they have to do military duty for two years or so and that changes their life. I don't know myself of groups who have come back together after a separation.

Show business is like an iceberg. so bright and shiny on top but very different unseen belw the surface.

Groups will go on whatever they are called I think.

Peggy

akiko-chico

Post by akiko-chico » Feb 24th, '09, 11:19

I think boybands are over for the western countries, but for say the asian countries they are still going strong

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Feb 24th, '09, 11:45

ow I certainly hope so...please!

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy » May 17th, '09, 21:32

A lot of countries look down on boy bands. The US is really the only country that likes them.

Kaitoz

Post by Kaitoz » May 17th, '09, 22:10

Do YOU think they are over after seeing all the JEs? XD

orangeaddicted

Post by orangeaddicted » May 17th, '09, 22:43

fuzzywuzzy wrote:A lot of countries look down on boy bands. The US is really the only country that likes them.
The boy band era in the States& N.America in general is waaay past over.