Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Has dramas affected you in High School/College?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

When did you start watching dramas?

Before High School
38%
High School
52%
Post College
10%

Total votes: 21

mahal_ki~lawl

Has dramas affected you in High School/College?

Post by mahal_ki~lawl » Jul 7th, '08, 09:55

I just graduated High School last month ^_^ and I've watched dramas for two years and I have to say dramas have affected my High School years in all sorts of ways.

I'm not sure if there are lots of people that started to watch dramas in High School but I feel that it has affected my decision, opinions and relationships between friends and family. Surprisingly, thanks to dramas I didn't get a girlfriend. Ha, not because I watched too many dramas that I locked myself away from the outside world. Because, I felt there is no rush to get a girlfriend soon. In high school, I think its just to raise your status and once you go to college its hard to keep a distant relationship from your high school sweet heart.

Dramas have given me the ability to always have something to talk about such as a funny part that I cant get over my head or a situation that has affected me dearly and the possibilities of what might happen like a drama. Even though, I didn't look into getting into a relationship I have helped a lot of friends around me in their relationships. Such as honesty or what lying can lead to ~_~, don't rush the confession, timing is important, awkward relationships do exists, opposites do attract, or even how to make a romantic moment/scene !;D, even helped my cousin proposed in a very awesome/cute way.

Now that college is ahead of me, I think for sure I will be able to find the right girl but, hah, who knows, that's life, many possibilities. Sooner or later, I might want to be a director and make an Asian influenced dramas in America. So, far I've made three films for film festivals, in the last two years. For sure, story wins all.

Lol, I could explain all day.

Anyway, so how has dramas affected you?
Do you think your more confident in your relationship?
Are you waiting for that special someone/moment to happen when you least expect it?
Does it make you want to share it with all of your friends?
Does it make you not want to go outside the world that is so cruel? Or adventure out?
Does it make you want to make your own sort of drama?

There is one thing though. Since I live in San Diego. I have gone to Comicon and recently Anime Expo. I sure wish there was a drama-con. Any one feel the same?
Maybe I'll make a topic about it.

koyama22

Post by koyama22 » Jul 7th, '08, 19:30

I'm in almost the same exact boat as you in terms of Dramas influence on my life. I feel that it's not worth it to be in a relationship at this time, college is right around the corner and that means break-up...usually; followed by various things that I don't really wish to deal with. Anyways, Dramas are something to look forward to watching, and inspire.

Dramas affected me in High School because I could relate to many of the characters immensely. I guess I'm a romantic thinker, if you get what I mean. Thinking a lot, pondering...this occupied much of my time during High School, and Dramas are a good catalyst.

To specify, I mainly watch Japanese Dramas, since I understand the language.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Jul 7th, '08, 20:10

I started right after high school.
Because high speed internet wasn't readily available until after high school... I was never exposed to asian dramas till then.

negatively: i had less sleep...
positivly: i'm learning different languages.. most recently, I'm trying to learn my semi-mother tongue (semi cuz i'm not mandarin, but canto) and watching chinese dramas is going to help me...

lol no.

Are you waiting for that special someone/moment to happen when you least expect it?
Nope.

share dramas? yea... but people think i watch too much...

Does it make you not want to go outside the world that is so cruel? Or adventure out?
nah.. i'm just too lazy to go out... >_< i want to finish my drama. the real world isn't that dramatic...

nah.. i'm too lazy. and i feel sorry for the people in the drama.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jul 7th, '08, 20:33

I'd say watching dramas has had a big affect on me as a person, in good and in bad. I'm soon starting my third year in uni, and I must say, during this year that I've watched dramas, I've probably watched more dramas than done anything else. I've always been really good at procrastinating, and now I'm even better. I can't get my school work done because there's always something good to watch! :)
But for the positive points I have to say that I've become more open-minded and curious. I never used to be interested in stuff I didn't have to know, but now I'm eager to learn. It doesn't hurt to be civilized, does it? I even ask about my boyfriend about politics and cars, just because I want to know more about everything.
I've always been interested in different cultures and Japan has been my interest for over 10 years. But when I started to watch dramas, I became genuinely curious about the ways of Asian culture and the reasons behind them and what the culture is really like, behind all that shining popular culture that I see thru music, anime and dramas. I have learned to see their culture past the rose-colored glasses and love it, in good and in bad.

Hmm.. Makes me sound a bit of a loser. ;)

Goldenoozaru

Post by Goldenoozaru » Jul 7th, '08, 21:11

I've started watching dramas after high school. funny, at age 19, i would never have imagined myself being very interested in the japanese culture at age 20. it all started by me downloading a wrong music file on napster and accidentally downloaded a Ryoko Hirosue album. totally fell in love with the music and wanted more. then i descovered j-dramas and the rest is history.

now i'm 27 and currently learning japanese (3rd language) and really don't listen to any music other than japanese music. because of j-dramas, i've visited japan and have an understanding of the japanese culture. going to open a restaurant there soon :cheers:

akiko-chico

Post by akiko-chico » Jul 8th, '08, 04:35

Dramas haven't really affected me. It's just fun to watch and to um check out my fav celebs :lol :mrgreen:

anglvue

Post by anglvue » Jul 8th, '08, 04:59

Anyway, so how has dramas affected you:
No. I keep hoping the perfect man will come along. Obviously he doesn't exist.
Yes. It happens in dramas all the time, but I don't understand why it won't happen to me!!!!
(LOLz) Honestly, it's a secret wish (I know I'm not the only one!!!) but obviously it won't happen. Duh!!!
I definitely share it with my friends and family. Sometimes, it's all we talk about.
For the past week I've been glued to the computer because of all the dramas I've been
watching, so the answer is: YES! I don't want to go out in the world unless nature is
calling me (at least for the next couple of weeks).
My own drama? How about a different ending to many of the dramas? I would love to
change the endings. My life is crazy enough as it is to want to "make" my own drama.
In Conclusion:
I have been greatly affected by dramas because they help inflate my imagination. I would rather interact with my dramas (i.e. yell at the stupid things the characters are doing) than to interact with actual stupid people in real life. For a while, I kept skipping classes to finishing watching an episode of a drama but since I graduated I don't think that will be much of a problem. I don't get enough sleep as I should but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love my dramas.[/b]

AsianPlayer

Post by AsianPlayer » Jul 8th, '08, 15:50

Before High School. Don't think it has had a big impact on my life. They are just entertaining to watch. I rather watch it than most things on TV.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jul 8th, '08, 16:19

What relationship? Haha, also hoping that a wonderful man like those seen in dramas do exist, but heck it's just so unrealistic.

Aren't we all!!

Yes, it does. I've already been sharing it with my family and friends. And they all know how crazy I am with watching dramas because of all the CD/DVDs stacked up in my room.

Well I do go outside for work, and hang out with friends when we all have free time. But since everyone now just graduated college and are busy with their own life, we hardly see each other. College really does take out a lot of your time (especially if you are engineering major, need to balance your time well between watching dramas and studying or else you'll fail your classes :crazy:

Besides, the real world isn't as dramatic as it seems to be. It's like things don't change much.

Not really, I like things calm. I'm also the type to talk to myself when watching dramas (well at least when I'm watching by myself). I get so into the drama that I feel like slapping those annoying characters cry my eyes out for those sad moments. I get so emotional on these things, but in real life, I tend to be the most quiet and hardly show emotion. Ahh great acting of Asian actors and actresses.

With dramas, I've come to understand and respect other cultures. I always try being a well rounded person by taking cultural classes in college (like asian art history, japanese) and actually watching these dramas allows me to appreciate other cultures firsthand or at least see them in action rather than reading books about them. Cuz really, American culture is pretty much nil (none, nada).

Oh, being glued to the computer is also my problem. Since I'm a computer science major, I have to stare in the computer all day programming. Then when I get back home, I stare in the computer to watch Asian stuff. So pretty much my life revolves around the computer. I need to take naps in between because my eyes get really tired out. :goggle: