The Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
phacoel

Post by phacoel » Dec 5th, '07, 00:00

Unfortunately Keano played for MU !! :P
I think he was one of the reason why MU can be so strong, including Cantona.
Beckham??? What a joke! Because defender in England can't do well, he could score from the distance, although I have to admit, his freekicks are very good. That's maybe worth to pay him, because you will get a lot of freekicks and corners during a game.

the supermen in premier league now are Gerrard, Fabregas, Cristiano Ronaldo (MAn, I hate that metrosexual guy, just too **** and sometimes diving, well, defender should get though on him, but still, diving...not always though). Who else???? Aha, Torres. Maybe he didn't score much, but did you see the way he played??? Very strong, not easy to fall down, he even breakthrough 2 defenders to run for a ball. Man, It's been a long time I see such a decent strikers, without diving. And it's worth the money you know.

I don't know who will win the league, but watching decent games means a lot, doesn't realy care who win it.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 5th, '07, 00:11

Elano for Man City was a suprise....hleb has finally hit his stride...Flamini from a noone to a someone displacing gilberto....Rooney's been hitting the target lately...but yeah the most outstanding player is Fabregas...and Ronaldo for united :-) ...Gerrard has just hit form now...though Watch out for Drogba his a fine strkier

phacoel

Post by phacoel » Dec 5th, '07, 00:24

Drogba can be a bit annoying sometimes specially if he dives LOL
The others you mentioned are not supermen, they are good players.
I mean supermen because they really really irreplaceable. Like KAKA. Without him, Milan can't beat MU, Liverpool, and won the Champions League. That's why he is worth to get Ballon dÓr.

Just imagine Mu without Ronaldo, Arsenal without Fabregas, or (even worse) Liverpool without Gerrard. That is just horrible (although I admit, Arsenal without Fabregas can still wins since Wenger is very good with tactics and his players, Mu can still win with a lot of luck, while Liverpool? nah, they can't do anything without Gerrard, he's the reason for Champions League 2005)

Btw, I like also other leagues, but since you from UK, premier league is the to talk to, right.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 5th, '07, 00:36

Gerrard to be fair can be replaced.....I say sell him and bring in Samir nasri :-) lol...yeah when Gerrards good he is good...but when he is not then someone help Liverpool...Now you've got Torres all Liverpool need is cover for defense....

Just like how people thought Arsenal were doomed without Henry....Fabregas has stepped up a plate and true Wenger his clever so Arsenal are lucky to have him...finds bargains all over the place!

Chelsea without Drogba are nothing really don't have quality forwards me thinks...United have Rooney and Tevez...though I do think they need an out and out goal scorer

Barca whose their heartbeat? They have a lot of brilliant players!

mininaum

Post by mininaum » Dec 5th, '07, 01:06

hey guys!
I'm new here, and when I saw this topic, I just couldn't wait to reply...
I'm also a BIG fan of football(soccer) and I'm brazilian too, so if you guys want to ask me sth of brazilian teams, I'll answer :D
BTW., i'm looking foward to see the EURO next year...

ps: I now that here is not any thread of explaining things for newcomers, but, could anyone help me how to edit my avatar?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 5th, '07, 01:20

:cheers: hey mininaum er you want it displayed? because I can't see your avie...you need to link it directly...the HTML to your Avator

mininaum

Post by mininaum » Dec 5th, '07, 02:23

thanks!
btw, if u guys dunno who is the players in my avatar, he's name is Marcos, and he was Brazil's goalkeeper in 2002 World Cup

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Dec 5th, '07, 02:49

Nice to have you here Mininaum! :thumleft:

I've just come on to the thread since yesterday and its moved on 3 pages, which is great. All you guys are Muslim, and so am I. :salut:
Power without perception is virtually useless!

l-chan

Post by l-chan » Dec 5th, '07, 15:45

phacoel : Finally liverpool fan's here to support me... we should make a team :D

yeah it's really great u guys are al muslim :lol

mininaum: Welcome :-) and of course we know him

there arn't any games today,,, so boring :glare: but what do u guys think about liverpool's scandal?? i don't think there is anything serious,, they won 8-0 so what?!

mininaum

Post by mininaum » Dec 5th, '07, 17:48

what happened? scandal? lol
I hardly ever see games from Premier League, could anyone explain to me what happened?

I can see also that many people here support english teams...

hey, have you seen that Maradona said that Kaka doesn't play so well anyway, and I think he though Messi should won the prize?! :O

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Dec 5th, '07, 18:02

I-chan - Arsenal vs Newcastle tonight. Hope Newcastle can at least get a draw but very unlikely in their current form.

Minimaum - Although I believe Maradona is the best player of all time I reckon the reason he said that was because he wanted his fellow Argentine Messi to win. Maradona is a huge fan of Messi.

l-chan

Post by l-chan » Dec 5th, '07, 18:43

hey, have you seen that Maradona said that Kaka doesn't play so well anyway, and I think he though Messi should won the prize?!
i agree with him :P

I-chan - Arsenal vs Newcastle tonight. Hope Newcastle can at least get a draw but very unlikely in their current form.
yeah i'll support newcastle for sure i hate arsenal,,

About liverpool,,u can read here about the scandle :-)

http://goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=503404

l-chan

Post by l-chan » Dec 5th, '07, 20:35

well it looks like i lost my mind or something :lol cuz today there are 2 games in Seria A

INTER vs LAZIO & ROMA vs CAGLIARI

so far the scores are ,, 2-0 for inter and it's the same result in the other game and
of course it's for roma.

i wanted them both to lose,, but u can't always get what u want :glare:

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Dec 6th, '07, 00:33

I-Chan - You'll agree with anyone against Kaka. :P

I just checked the link about the scandal on the Liverpool game, it will most likely not be Liverpool themselves.

Newcasle got a HUGE 1-1 draw with Arsenal which will keep Big Sam as the manager for a little while longer at the least

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 6th, '07, 00:49

:lol ....Newcastle fans are a hard bunch to please....I'm not big Sam's biggest fan but all these manager sackings is ridiculous....Geez... It takes time to build a team.

Anyways people can say whatever they want about Arsenal and Wenger but the fact is even if you hate them you gotta respect the team and Wenger for providing the world with beautiful football. When Arsenal play...boy do they play some breathtaking pass and move football. Thats how the game's supposed to be played :salut: ...People were saying last season Arsenal were gonna not even finish top 4...man were they wrong. Arsenal are one of the best teams in the world at moment and its good to see that for once its not gonna be a two-horse premiership race!!!! :mrgreen:

Newcastle deserved the draw...they stopped Arsenal playing and dominated most of the game. To be fair Arsenal have played 3 games in a row in just 9 days and were missing Fabregas, Hleb, Flamini and Van Persie. Key players. The centre of midfield consisted of Diarra and Gilberto both haven't played that many games this season plus they were playing away to a team which had a point to prove.

Anywyas all in all Can't wait for the 16th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

phacoel

Post by phacoel » Dec 6th, '07, 08:36

Well, just ignore maradona, he can say what he wants.
I heard the news about Liverpool. Probably the betting gangster tried to bribe Besiktas to lose with big scores, that's why it's under investigation.

Whether you like or dislike one team, that's normal I guess, especially if you support your local team (although maybe they're sucks hehehehe :P ), but if you are a fan of football itself, you will love the way a good team plays.

l-chan

Post by l-chan » Dec 6th, '07, 16:41

l-Chan - You'll agree with anyone against Kaka.
what?! :blink i don't know what u r talking about :P

sahansah: of course have to respect all the teams and nobody can say anything about
Arsenal,, i hate them but i admit that they play good football.. and i have to say it i do
enjoy watching their games but u know we have to say bad things about the others
sometimes :lol

Tonight's games:

JUVE :roll vs EMPOLI..

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 7th, '07, 01:19

sahansah:

so here's my team. do you know if any of them (are injured, not playing, suck, etc.)
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) DER
R. Santa Cruz (BLA - F) WHU

Midfielders
F. Malouda (CHE - M) SUN
C. Dempsey (FUL - M) @EVE
F. Fabregas (ARS - M) @MID
Elano (MAC - M) @TOT
D. Dunn (BLA - M) WHU

Defenders
J. Terry (CHE - D) SUN
Z. Knight (AST - D) POR
N. Vidic (MAN - D) DER

Goalkeepers
M. Almunia (ARS - G) @MID
thanks for any info you can provide me!
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 7th, '07, 01:37

jholic wrote:sahansah:

so here's my team. do you know if any of them (are injured, not playing, suck, etc.)
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) DER
R. Santa Cruz (BLA - F) WHU

Midfielders
F. Malouda (CHE - M) SUN
F. Fabregas (ARS - M) @MID
Elano (MAC - M) @TOT
D. Dunn (BLA - M) WHU

Defenders
J. Terry (CHE - D) SUN
Z. Knight (AST - D) POR
N. Vidic (MAN - D) DER

Goalkeepers
thanks for any info you can provide me!
Malouda, Elano, Fabregas are all injured. Don't know when Malouda and Elano are gonna be back by...Fabregas is gonna be fit by the 16th december.

Derby play United away...This one is going to be a definate man Utd victory...I hope...

Fulham have a tough encounter with Everton...I'd say replace Elano with Cahil or Arteta....Chelsea too have an easy game agaisnt Sunderland...Joe Cole perhaps is another player you could go for...couple of pages back I gave a list of some players that you could have a look at....hope some of this helps...btw get rid of Dunn get in another striker...Torres has hit form ..Adebayor is looking good...Drogba's injured and Robbie Keane is suspended I think.

l-chan

Post by l-chan » Dec 7th, '07, 15:27

Valencia wants to sign with liverpool's player Riise.. :-)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 8th, '07, 02:57

sahansah, i didn't exactly get those guys you mentioned, but i did sell off those other guys that are hurt.

here's my list:
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) DER
F. Torres (LIV - F) @RED
Midfielders
M. Petrov (MAC - M) @TOT
T. Rosicky (ARS - M) @MID
J. Utaka (POR - M) @AST
D. Hamann (MAC - M) @TOT
Defenders
J. Terry (CHE - D) SUN
Z. Knight (AST - D) POR
N. Vidic (MAN - D) DER
Goalkeepers
i got hamann cuz i had no money left, and he's doing alright.

btw, i know that scheimechel or something (goalie) is going to return, right? when?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 8th, '07, 21:26

jholic Kasper Schmeichel's loan deal has been extened til January....although he may stay on loan until the end of the season, depends on how things pan out at Man City.

lol Man who'd have thought it Reading beat Liverpool 3-1!!! Shock result that, of all the teams Reading have stopped Liverpool's undefeated run (Liverpool were playing oh so well recently...) and Aston Villa being defeated 1-3 as well, another shock result, by Portsmouth even though Villa dominated most of the possesion....hmmm crazy world although two beautiful strikes from Muntari can't take anything away from Portsmouth. Whats this Sheva scored :O now that is crazy he-he, Sunderland are defeated 2-0 by Chelsea.
Man Utd with a 4-1 win over Derby 8) Tevez scores twice...and Yakubu scores a hat-trick in a 3-0 Everton win over Fulham.
Newcastle's fortune seems to be changing after the draw against Arsenal in mid-week they defeated Birmingham 2-1 today.
Last edited by sahansah on Dec 9th, '07, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

l-chan

Post by l-chan » Dec 8th, '07, 21:47

i can't believe liverpool lost their game and what 3-1?!!! i mean dah what's going on!!
and the two stupid team MU and chelsea have to win,, yeah yeah yeah whatever,, i hate sheva

games in Pl were crazy and in Seria A too. Fiorentina lost to Palermo 2-0 ohhh i looove miccoli :wub: lazio and catania 2-0 and the rest will play tomorrow :-)

laliga,, valencia and osasuna's game ended up by a draw 0-0.. thank god we did not lose 8) and Real madrid are playing now hope they lose :P

thats it for today :salut:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 9th, '07, 01:16

...looks like Real Madrid won...1-0 a goal by Ruud Van Nistelrooy against Athletic Bilbao...7 points clear at top :P lol

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 10th, '07, 00:09

What can I say Arsenal lost to Middlesbrough 2-1.... :-) ....So the weekend ends with Liverpool and Arsenal both ending their undefeated runs. Now only a point seperate Arsenal (37pts) and Man Utd (36pts) at the top of the table. Whilst Chelsea (34pts) are 2 points behind Man Utd and 3 points behind Arsenal. Liverpool, Portsmouth and Man City make up the 4th, 5th and 6th spots respectively all with 30 points, however Liverpool have a game in hand. The table looks open even Aston Villa, Everton and Blackburn are not too far behind. :D :D ....Lets hope the title race is a really, really close one this season!!!

Bolton beat Wigan 4-1, Spurs beat Man City 2-1 and West Ham beat Blackburn 1-0 in the other prem fixtures today.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 15th, '07, 02:41

sahansah:
my team's the same as last week. just wanted to let you know, i scored almost 80pts, compared to others that only managed about 45. thanks for your help!
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F)
R. Santa Cruz (BLA - F)

Midfielders
F. Malouda (CHE - M)
C. Dempsey (FUL - M)
F. Fabregas (ARS - M)
Elano (MAC - M)
D. Dunn (BLA - M)

Defenders
J. Terry (CHE - D)
Z. Knight (AST - D)
N. Vidic (MAN - D)

Goalkeepers
M. Almunia (ARS - G)
you know if any of these guys are hurt, suspended or won't play? thanks!

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 15th, '07, 14:13

jholic

^Is that your team??? or this one here:
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) DER
F. Torres (LIV - F) @RED
Midfielders
M. Petrov (MAC - M) @TOT
T. Rosicky (ARS - M) @MID
J. Utaka (POR - M) @AST
D. Hamann (MAC - M) @TOT
Defenders
J. Terry (CHE - D) SUN
Z. Knight (AST - D) POR
N. Vidic (MAN - D) DER
Goalkeepers
Anyways for the one in your post Fabregas, Elano and Malouda are doubtful .....Fabregas and Elano could play this weekend but Maolouda has more chances of not.

And the one posted here of the team you used last week, I don't think theres anything wrong with any of them......Two crucial big games against the top four on Sunday....Liverpool vs Man Utd and Arsenal vs Chelsea....well more then likely both may end in draws but Liverpool need this win so there have to go out to win. Chelsea are going to be without Drogba so they may not pose a big as an attacking threat but Arsenal still need to be wary and may be without Fabregas, Flamini and Hleb. Still they should be able to win at home.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 18th, '07, 02:32

thanks for the update, sahansah. i did very well again this week, scoring in the 70s, when my opponents scored only 50s. unfortunately, dunn did not score at all, and terry had negative points. did he give away a goal or something?

i notice everyone has TWO opponents. are they all playing twice this weekend?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 18th, '07, 02:41

jholic wrote:thanks for the update, sahansah. i did very well again this week, scoring in the 70s, when my opponents scored only 50s. unfortunately, dunn did not score at all, and terry had negative points. did he give away a goal or something?

i notice everyone has TWO opponents. are they all playing twice this weekend?
??? No shouldn't be playing twice this weekend? Two opponents.... :scratch: ...should only be one opponent because the can't play twice over the weekend.....its just premiership games right?

Edit: Oh wait because of the busy december period so basically they are going to play over the weekend and then play on the Wednesday/thursday straight after the weekend.....so that could be why you see two opponents...so when by exactly should you have your team selection in by?

Terry well he came off injured during the first half agaisnt Arsenal and is going to be out til early Feb...Santa Cruz scored a hat-trick but Blackburn still lost to Wigan 5-3 which is crazy....Dunn is not a goal scorer as such....maybe you should go for three strikers instead?

K-CT

Post by K-CT » Dec 19th, '07, 19:11

Anyone watch last nights match. The young guns won 3-2!!! against blackburn
I thought it was over when denilson got sent off but we still manage to steal it :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 20th, '07, 09:58

sahansah wrote:Edit: Oh wait because of the busy december period so basically they are going to play over the weekend and then play on the Wednesday/thursday straight after the weekend.....so that could be why you see two opponents...so when by exactly should you have your team selection in by?
thanks for the clarification, sahansah. our lineups are due by saturday mornings.
sahansah wrote:Terry well he came off injured during the first half agaisnt Arsenal and is going to be out til early Feb...Santa Cruz scored a hat-trick but Blackburn still lost to Wigan 5-3 which is crazy....Dunn is not a goal scorer as such....maybe you should go for three strikers instead?
ok, so i think i am going to take out terry.

i will replace dunn, but i'm not sure if i can go with three strikers. my problem is i spent a lot of money on the other positions. for my last midfielder, i only have about six dollars. it doesn't give you much except for guys like dunn and the other dude.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 22nd, '07, 11:02

hey sahansah:

so, here's the team:
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) EVE,@SUN
F. Torres (LIV - F) POR,@DER
D. Healy (FUL - F) WIG,@TOT
Midfielders
M. Petrov (MAC - M) @AST,BLA
C. Dempsey (FUL - M) WIG,@TOT
T. Rosicky (ARS - M) TOT,@POR
J. Utaka (POR - M) @LIV,ARS
Defenders
B. Sagna (ARS - D) TOT,@POR
Z. Knight (AST - D) MAC,@CHE
N. Vidic (MAN - D) EVE,@SUN
Goalkeepers
M. Almunia (ARS - G) TOT,@POR
per your suggestion, i took terry out because he's hurt for a while. replaced with sagna (since he was very cheap). i sold dunn and CHANGED MY FORMATION to go with a third striker (as you suggested). the problem is you can find some pretty good (and cheap) midfielders, but it's kind of difficult to find a cheap fwd. i got healy.

what do you think?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 28th, '07, 12:11

hi sahansah:

i only made one small change to the team, going with McSheffrey instead of healy.
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) @WHU,BIR
F. Torres (LIV - F) @MAC,WIG
G. McSheffrey (BIR - F) FUL,@MAN
Midfielders
M. Petrov (MAC - M) LIV,@NUF
C. Dempsey (FUL - M) @BIR,CHE
T. Rosicky (ARS - M) @EVE,WHU
J. Utaka (POR - M) MID,@RED
Defenders
B. Sagna (ARS - D) @EVE,WHU
Z. Knight (AST - D) @WIG,TOT
N. Vidic (MAN - D) @WHU,BIR
Goalkeepers
M. Almunia (ARS - G) @EVE,WHU
do you know if any of them are injured?

what do you think about this lineup?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Dec 31st, '07, 13:20

Sorry for the late reply well Knight was suspended for one game which his now served

If you can't get in any decent forwards then just go for another midfielder

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Jan 4th, '08, 22:45

Since the MLS season is over for now, Beckham it seems is going to be training with Arsenal F.C. to regain match fitness.
Ahhh the irony for Becks, a former Manchester United player, to be training with Arsenal one of United's rivals. :lol

Well before anyone reads into this too much, Beck's home is near Arsenals training ground and it seems he and Wenger share a mutual appreciation for each other. Anywho its a great thing for Arsenal as these Young Arsenal lads can learn alot training with the much more experienced Beckham. It could even help improve maybe the Arsenal players accuracy with crosses, corners and freekicks. :whistling: Imagine a Beckham-eque Fabregas freekick help securing a win for the gunner's against United XD

It seems Becks is only training with Arsenal he has not signed on loan with them and will not be appearing in any matches for the gunners.....yes in pictures Beckham is seen wearing the number 23 training kit while training but Wenger has explained that "We give a kit to everyone who practices. When a triallist comes from anywhere in the world we give him a kit" ~ So for all those fans who want to see Becks playing for Arsenal it will not be :-)

LOL at Fabregas jumping like some little school kid he-he, he does seem to clearly enjoy the fact that Beckham is with them
Official site: http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?this ... o+and+pics

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Jan 6th, '08, 01:12

So the F.A cup, the oldest Football knockout competition in the world, 3rd round was played today and boy some shockers!!!!!

Everton lost to Oldham 0-1 ~ Everton are a premiership team whilst Oldham play in League one, two divisions below Everton

Bolton losing to Sheffield United that to at home! (Shef United though play just one league below Bolton) and Birmigham lost to Huddersfield 2-1 (Huddesfield ply their trade in league one) the biggest shocker is Coventry Citys 4-1 demolition of Blackburn Rovers!!!!! that to away :D

Full set of results taken from the BBC:
Aston Villa 0-2 Man Utd
Barnsley 2-1 Blackpool
Blackburn 1-4 Coventry
Bolton 0-1 Sheff Utd
Brighton 1-2 Mansfield
Bristol City 1-2 Middlesbrough
Charlton 1-1 West Brom
Chasetown 1-3 Cardiff
Chelsea 1-0 QPR
Colchester 1-3 Peterborough
Everton 0-1 Oldham
Huddersfield 2-1 Birmingham
Ipswich 0-1 Portsmouth
Norwich 1-1 Bury
Plymouth 3-2 Hull
Preston 1-0 Scunthorpe
Southampton 2-0 Leicester
Southend 5-2 Dag & Red
Sunderland 0-3 Wigan
Swansea 1-1 Havant and W
Swindon 1-1 Barnet
Tottenham 2-2 Reading
Tranmere 2-2 Hereford
Walsall 0-0 Millwall
Watford 2-0 Crystal Palace
West Ham 0-0 Man City
Wolverhampton 2-1 Cambridge Utd
Well United won as expected against Villa... :whistling: ...Villa is considered United second home because they always win there....

Sunday

Lutun Cash strapped and languising near the bottom of league one (3rd tier of English football) held the mighty 5 times European Champions Liverpool to a 1-1 draw! Lutun outplayed Liverpool and should have maybe won. Crouch put Liverpool ahead 74 mins into the game tapping in after Voronin's shot was saved by the Lutun keeper. However just round 3 mins later Riise scored an own goal to level the scores.

Arsenal also never had an easy game against Championship opponents Burnley. Burnley played well perhaps at times better then Arsenal but couldn't score with the chances they had. Whilst Arsenal scored two very clinical goals. Eduardo opened up the score 9 mins into the away tie and then during the second half Eduardo played a beautiful simple pass to Bendtner for him to score the second. The difference between the sides was the finishing and Arsenal's quality showed at the end even when playing not up to their own high standards.

Both teams Arsenal and Liverpool did play weakened sides however most of them were full internaitionals more so for Liverpool so it shouldn't be an excuse for Liverpool to get a draw. The F.A. cup! Don't you just love it full of suprises :D

Rest of Sundays F.A. Cup results:
Burnley 0-2 Arsenal
Derby 2-2 Sheff Wed
Fulham 2-2 Bristol Rovers
Luton 1-1 Liverpool
Stoke 0-0 Newcastle

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 17th, '08, 05:22

Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) @RED
F. Torres (LIV - F) AST
D. Healy (FUL - F) ARS
Midfielders
M. Petrov (MAC - M) WHU
C. Dempsey (FUL - M) ARS
T. Rosicky (ARS - M) @FUL
J. Utaka (POR - M) DER
Defenders
B. Sagna (ARS - D) @FUL
Z. Knight (AST - D) @LIV
N. Vidic (MAN - D) @RED
Goalkeepers
M. Almunia (ARS - G) @FUL
hey sahansah, here's my team. i hope you can help me out.

rosicky, utaka, knight, almunia all scored zero for me last week. what happened?

anyways, if you can provide me any insight into this weekend's games, i'd appreciate it.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Jan 18th, '08, 18:06

rosicky, utaka, knight these players didn't play

Almunia did play but conceded a goal

At the moment majority of the African players have left for the African cup of nations, including Utaka so he should be replaced. (Go for non-African players for now

I'm not sure if Knight is going to be picked for the next game for Aston Villa becasue Davies has been preferred since Knight's match ban, even after he served it for last couple of games. Although Villa play Liverpool and O'Neil may want more experience at the back and may go with Knight. Laursen the other Villa defender has been in real good form and is also good at attacking the ball during corners.

Rosiky had the virus so didn't play last weekend he should be okay for this weekend.

Lets see Chelsea play Birmingham should be a Chelsea win but then again Birmingham drew against Arsenal last week and that should have given them some confidence.

Arsenal will go all out against Fulham. They need to win to maintain their title challenge against Manchester United as both teams are joint at the top of the table. I wonder though about Arsenal they have lost centreback Toure to the African cup of nations and his absense may affect their defense. Still Fulham shouldn't pose Arsenal to much of an problem.

Man Utd recorded a 6-0 thumping agaisnt Newcastle and Ronaldo is just banging in goals at the moment. United have a really solid team with good depth and quality all over the field. So United go away to Reading as favs and hopefully it would be another thrashing.

I think Spurs are going to record an easy home win against Sunderland. I'm trying to think of a gmae that might throw up a high score but its to unpredictable. Newcastle with their new manager (a Newcastle hero) will want to impress. They play at home and there is alot of buzz about Newcastle after the appointment of Keegan as their new manager. Bolton have sold Anelka to Chelsea in the transfer window and thus have lost that little bit of spark up front. I see Newcastle cruising here because the Newcastle fans will be urging their team on like no tomorrow.

Man City won 1-0 agianst West Ham in the F.A. cup reply with Elano scoring, these two line up again this weekend. I can't see West Ham winning here. Its going to be a Man City, expect Elano to conjure up something again.

I'm thinking Everton even though some of their players have gone to the African Cup of nations will secure a decent win agaisnt Wigan because they have a chance at 4th place and Champions League Football next season and need to win to keep up the pressure.

Liverpool against Villa very interesting. Both on equal points in the table. Villa look decent but I think Liverpool have that bit more quality with Torres up front even thoguh Liverpool have struggled abit lately.

Anyways healy should be taken out of your squad. I'm not to sure about Knight, what other defenders can you get hold of? Utaka needs replacing because his away at the African Cup of nations. If you cannot get a half decent Striker then go for another midfielder such as Tim Chaill or Arteta of Everton or even Bentley of Blackburn or Ashley Young of Villa. I'd say Anelka will have some impact for Chelsea this weekend and if Eduardo plays for Arsenal he just might score. Spurs front three of Keane, Barbatov and Lennon have the quality to put Sunderland under pressure.

I found this site:
http://www.pa-sport.com/en/actim/actim- ... emier.html
Looks cool gives stats of the top players, check it out

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 19th, '08, 05:57

sahansah: once again, your knowledge of soccer has proven invaluable. i will be sure to take your advice and replace some of these players. will report back soon.

Gluestick

Post by Gluestick » Jan 20th, '08, 14:57

I only got into football (soccer) once I went abroad and my coworkers were really into it. We had a pool for the last World Cup and I ended up winning.

doasan

Post by doasan » Jan 20th, '08, 15:14

jholic wrote:hey sahansah:

so, here's the team:
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) EVE,@SUN
F. Torres (LIV - F) POR,@DER
D. Healy (FUL - F) WIG,@TOT
Midfielders
M. Petrov (MAC - M) @AST,BLA
C. Dempsey (FUL - M) WIG,@TOT
T. Rosicky (ARS - M) TOT,@POR
J. Utaka (POR - M) @LIV,ARS
Defenders
B. Sagna (ARS - D) TOT,@POR
Z. Knight (AST - D) MAC,@CHE
N. Vidic (MAN - D) EVE,@SUN
Goalkeepers
M. Almunia (ARS - G) TOT,@POR
per your suggestion, i took terry out because he's hurt for a while. replaced with sagna (since he was very cheap). i sold dunn and CHANGED MY FORMATION to go with a third striker (as you suggested). the problem is you can find some pretty good (and cheap) midfielders, but it's kind of difficult to find a cheap fwd. i got healy.

what do you think?
Tevez's a great football player the same as Agüero xD well sorry I'm argentinian^^'
maradona sucks...!

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Jan 21st, '08, 11:06

doasan XD ~ you're Argentinian and you say Maradona sucks!? His supposed to be like one of the best footballers in the world. I'm not saying he is the best because all that is objective and to each their own.

Tevez rocks for Man Utd :D and Agüero haven't seen him play but heard his supposed to be good. However what! no Messi? His got bags of talent!!! and prob will end up as the worlds best footballer one of these years.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 22nd, '08, 03:15

hi dousan, i appreciate the input.

who's maradona?

anyways, i think a few people did not score any points for me, and i'm not sure why. but i'll check my scores again. i think your advice really helped me.

magincia

Post by magincia » Jan 22nd, '08, 10:59

jholic wrote:hi dousan, i appreciate the input.

who's maradona?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Maradona

remember: google loves you X'D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 23rd, '08, 05:17

magincia: thanks for the link, but i guess my confusion was that i don't see him on my team. is he?

anyways, i guess doasan was just making a remark out of the blue. i thought maradona was someone on my team. thanks

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Jan 23rd, '08, 08:20

jholic no Maradona is not someone in your team. She was just commenting on Diego Maradona, he retired years ago (He never played for an English team sadly).

hoosdathu

Post by hoosdathu » Jan 25th, '08, 10:41

tottenham in a cup final finally :)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 1st, '08, 23:53

hey sahansah,

so here's my lineup which has not changed in a while. this time, i posted the prices of the players to show you how much they're worth. it has to add up to 100. that's why after getting some good players, you're forced to get some not-so-good ones.
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) @TOT 17.05
F. Torres (LIV - F) SUN 12.62
Tuncay (MID - F) @NUF 7.30
Midfielders
M. Petrov (MAC - M) ARS 13.21
C. Dempsey (FUL - M) AST 7.76
T. Rosicky (ARS - M) @MAC 13.55
C. N'Zogbia (NUF - M) MID 8.30
Defenders
B. Sagna (ARS - D) @MAC 8.59
Z. Knight (AST - D) @FUL 6.77
N. Vidic (MAN - D) @TOT 10.20
Goalkeepers
M. Almunia (ARS - G) @MAC 13.53

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Feb 2nd, '08, 11:21

I understand its a decent line-up. I would say to repalce Knight because his not playing any games at the moment

Erm Just had a little look and it seems Rosicky and Tuncay are injured..... :blink .....

edit: Seems like Almunia never played looks like he was injured as well

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 5th, '08, 02:02

sahansah, once again, you prove you are an elite soccer fan. all the people you mentioned scored ZERO for me this week. i should have consulted you earlier. in any case, i think i will be doing some buying and selling later this week, and i'll see if i can post it early to get your review. thanks!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 7th, '08, 04:59

ok, so here's the overhaul....

sold ALMUNIA and got J REINA. i wasn't sure how long almunia was going to be out.....

then my big buy, i sold ROSICKY and N'ZOGBIA for FABREGAS. very expensive, but he seems to be doing well. unfortunately, that nearly bankrupted me.

so i sold PETROV for J COLE.

and sold KNIGHT for V COLUKA and got H MULLINS (who?!?) for replacements.

i also took out TUNCAY and replaced him with HEALY (since he was cheap)

what do you think?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Feb 7th, '08, 12:58

Corluka's suspended for the match this weekend against Man Utd so won't be playing.

The thing with Healy he hasn't been playing regularly for Fulham and I doubt if he will even make the bench agaisnt Middlesbrough.

There are some doubts over Torres he came off due to a hamstring injury during the midweek international game for Spain againt France but wait til closer the deadline he may be fine. He choose to come off just as a precaution and he says that he should be fit for the game against Chelsea.

Mullins plays for West Ham I don't know much about him but he seems to be playing regularly.

The match that I think will be a high scoring game is the Derby Vs Tottenham match. Spurs have a strong attack to much for Derby (Although I think but you can never predict a football game!).

Edit: Seems likeTorres ia going to be out for 10 days

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 8th, '08, 01:32

great. i guess that corluka, healy and torres are not going to be doing much for me this weekend. i knew i should have consulted you before doing any activity. but it's tough since there's a billion players, and there's no way i can check them all out. agh!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 21st, '08, 02:59

hi sahansah, sorry to bother you again. i know the premier league was off last weekend, so here's my team:
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) @NUF 16.29
F. Torres (LIV - F) MID 14.39
D. Healy (FUL - F) WHU 6.76
Midfielders
Joe Cole (CHE - M) 8.53
C. Dempsey (FUL - M) WHU 8.32
F. Fabregas (ARS - M) @BIR 16.30
H. Mullins (WHU - M) @FUL 5.41
Defenders
B. Sagna (ARS - D) @BIR 9.09
V. Corluka (MAC - D) EVE 6.62
N. Vidic (MAN - D) @NUF 9.20
Goalkeepers
J. Reina (LIV - G) MID 10.77
so what do you think about this team? i have about $2 extra to spend on someone, and i think i'm going to upgrade healy or mullins.

oh, btw, i read somewhere that beckham and others were in hawaii to play an international tournament of some sort.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Feb 21st, '08, 11:21

I don't think theres any suspensions or injuries to worry about with your team. You should upgrade Healy becasue he has less of a chance of playing

Beckham in Hawaii? Probably a L.A. Galaxy tour of some sort...did you go and see?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 23rd, '08, 05:49

sahansah wrote:I don't think theres any suspensions or injuries to worry about with your team. You should upgrade Healy becasue he has less of a chance of playing
hey, sahansah, so i sold two guys cuz i had $2 to spare. haha. i got defoe and bowyer.
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) @NUF
F. Torres (LIV - F) MID
J. Defoe (POR - F) SUN
Midfielders
Joe Cole (CHE - M)
C. Dempsey (FUL - M)
F. Fabregas (ARS - M)
L. Bowyer (WHU - M)
Defenders
B. Sagna (ARS - D)
V. Corluka (MAC - D)
N. Vidic (MAN - D)
Goalkeepers
J. Reina (LIV - G)
Beckham in Hawaii? Probably a L.A. Galaxy tour of some sort...did you go and see?
actually, i'm not in hawaii right now. i believe it was at aloha stadium. i'm thinking it has a good chance of drawing a crowd because the galaxy is supposed to be practicing (game) vs some asia teams and some other teams.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Mar 8th, '08, 17:16

A couple of things

Eduardo who plays for Arsenal in the EPL after a challage by a Birmingham player Martin Taylor broke his leg and is going to be out for well over 9 months at least (This happened some weeks back). The thing is many people dismissed it saying Eduardo was just to fast for him and it was a "freak accident" as there was no intent shown by Taylor to break Edaurdo's leg.
Taylor only gets a three match ban (compare that to Aliadiere who recently slapped Mascherano and got a four match ban).
Isn't that just bizarre. A guy's leg is broken, intent or not, Taylor should have been banned for more then just three matches. Another thing if Eduardo was "too fast" for Taylor then Taylor has no right to be playing in the Premiership. Eduardo's a footballer thats his line of work. He has every right to sue Taylor and thats what he should do. If say a foreign footballer broke one of England's star footballers (Gerrard, Rooney etc...) then I doubt if the media would have dismissed it. They would have launched a hate campaign asking for the foreign players head. Well one things for sure the tame uproar against the challange has nothing to do with Croatia - Who Eduardo plays for - knocking England out of the European cup (to be played this year!) at the qualifying stages. Eduardo is going to miss the whole tournament and he is Croatia's star striker.
Hope Eduardo all the best and makes a speedy recovery.

Arsenal after losing 4-0 to Man Utd in the F.A. Cup and then drawing to Birmingham - in the same match Eduardo is injured - which is overshadowed by Gallas, Arsenal's Captain sulking and refusing to stand up after the game from the pitch. Then drawing at home to A.C. Milan at home in the Champions League before drawing to Aston Villa at home in the Premier League (Allowing Man Utd to close the gap on Arsenal - who sit in first place - to just one point). It is good to see them bounce back and out classing the reigning champions of Europe A.C. Milan away in the San Siro!

May I add no English team has won against A.C. Milan at home and it was not a smash and grab by Arsenal. From start to finish they totally outplayed A.C. Milan. They could have won by more then just two goals and as the game went on you would have thought that Arsenal would end up losing (as having failing to convert their chances), with A.C. Milan sneaking it. However patience and persistance paid of with Fabregas (who was outstanding with Flamini in the middle of midfeild) scoring from a long range effort at 84 minutes into the game. Walcott right at the end set up Adebayor (What a run by Walcott to get to the ball and win it from Kaladze!) for an easy tap in.

Brilliant performance by a maturing team agasint one of the greatest sides in Eurpoean football. You would fancy Arsenal to perhaps go on at least to reach the final but anything can happen in football.

Liverpool also need a mention after losing to Barnsley (A team which Liverpool should have been able to beat no problems since Barnsley play in the Championship - a league below the premiership ) in the F.A. Cup they went and completely outplayed Inter Milan at home by winning 2-0. You just hope they can keep that lead and add another goal when they play agasint Inter Milan in the return leg next week.

Man Utd what went wrong today against Portsmouth at home in the F.A. Cup quarter finals? Man Utd had the lions share of the possesion and were always threatening and should have been at least 2-3 up. Carrick had a glorious chance, so did Rooney and Evra hit the post. United also had a clear penalty shout at the start of the game but the referee said no and then United go and concede a penalty near the end of the game. To be fair it was a penalty but to send off the goal keeper? That was debateable.

Oh well United for the Champions League!

:D

Edit: Chelsea lost to Barnsley! :lol 1-0 ~ now noone can say the win against Liverpool was a fluke. Barnsley are off to the the semi-finals of the F.A. Cup!

For the last 12 years one of the top four (Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea) had won the F.A. Cup. So expect a very entertaining F.A. Cup final, I hope Barnsley at least get to the final they deserve it after beating Liverpool and Chelsea!

:thumleft:

alcozar

Post by alcozar » Mar 16th, '08, 09:36

Looking good for an English Club to win the Champions League this year, think Arseanal will beat Liverpool by 2-1.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » May 13th, '08, 18:50

Man Utd have won the premiership woooot! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Barcelona whats up with them? Totally got outclassed by Real Madrid last week. Hopefully they come back stronger next year with new management.

Chelsea Vs Man Utd in the Champions League final :D ~ Go United!!!! but I suspect Chelsea might win it.... :-(

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 14th, '08, 00:19

sahansah: would you believe it? after 35 wks in fantasy soccer, i took 2nd place .... without knowing jack about soccer. well, i attribute a lot to your help. i lost by 78 pts.

technically i won the league. long story, but in yahoo fant soccer, you can setup a profile. afterwards, you can use that same profile to play in multiple leagues. my friend had a profile setup in wk1 and was playing in a league. well, some time in wk 6 or 7, a bunch of us were sitting around talking some smack to him about how we could beat him in fantasy soccer without knowing anything about soccer.

anyways, when he setup our league, he 'accidentally' set it to start from wk1, which meant he got six weeks of points, while we all started at zero. so essentially, he had a 600+ pt lead on us to begin with. he said acknowledged he lost in fantasy soccer, but unfortunately, it didn't reflect in yahoo.

well, it doesn't matter. in my heart, i know i won. two more wks and i probably would have beaten him. :lol

Jscorpio

Post by Jscorpio » May 14th, '08, 03:34

OMG, I love football!! Manchester will win it all the way to victory!! Go United Go!!
sahansah wrote:but I suspect Chelsea might win it.... :-(
Don't say that, please.. Well I mean, have fate in them..

Aw, Cristiano Ronaldo.. :wub:

**Passed Out** :faint:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » May 14th, '08, 10:13

jholic lol Thats cause for celebration :cheers: Good on ya :thumright:
Your players really pulled through noone would have imagined Torres to score so many goals in his first season!
You going to be competing again next year? lol You're friend sure must be wanting a rematch.

Jscorpio C. Ronaldo his become the new Beckham in sense of marketing value who would have thought that? - Boy got more skills then Becks though. Although I do wish he would stop acting like every tackle on him is a foul. I mean did you see him against Wigan? Half the time he just put his arms in the air and gave up expecting a foul even when play was still on going! He needs to get more stuck in.

It was nice to see the old time greats Scholes and Giggs contributing to United's fortunes. Scholes with the goal against Barca and Giggs goal against Wigan to seal the Premiership. Well done lads.

I do have faith in United but it was the same as last season's F.A. Cup final in the end Chelsea always seem to end up winning :x . How they do it is beyond me but for Football's sake United should win the Champions League. Would be so fitting considering it is the 50th year anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster.

Go United! :twisted:
Last edited by sahansah on May 14th, '08, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

AF_1

Post by AF_1 » May 14th, '08, 15:12

Hi Jscorpio,

A footballer fan? Nice. Here's my question. Please fill in the blank, and no cheating. :D

Instituto _ _ _ Rosario Central _ _ _ Valencia _ _ _ River Plate _ _ _ Valencia _ _ _ Hercules _ _ _ Vienna FC _ _ _ VSE Sankt Polten _ _ _ Kremser SC _ _ _ Fernandes Vial _ _ _ Pelita Jaya _ _ _

slowmoe

Post by slowmoe » May 14th, '08, 20:51

never heard......at least not all of them.....didnt even come up on google....whats the answer bro.....do tell.....

Jscorpio

Post by Jscorpio » May 15th, '08, 00:56

@sahansah: I miss Mr. Beckham.. Talent and ability wise, we have abundance of that in our Ronaldo. But but but, IMHO, Mr. Beckham is still a legend for all his wonderful dedicated crosses, assists, and freekicks @Manchester United.. :wub:
I do wish he would stop acting like every tackle on him is a foul.
This is what I HATE about Ronaldo.. But but but I will forgive and forget.. After all, he is Cristiano Ronaldo.. **Passed Out** :faint:

Uhm, ahh, mate.. whilst I love watching football, love going to games with my mates... I am not an expert in this sport and therefore, I will disappoint you in any good ol' footballer chats.. :-(

@AF_1: Uhm.. This is a tough question.. I have no idea.. Can I get at least one issy bissy hint?? Please and thank you.. :D

AF_1

Post by AF_1 » May 15th, '08, 14:13

<b>Jscorpio wrote:</b><i>Can I get at least one issy bissy hint?? </i>

_ _ _ i _ --- _ e _ _ _ _ :-)

Jscorpio

Post by Jscorpio » May 15th, '08, 18:30

**Hacking in The Matrix**

Mario Kempes?? :unsure:

ash_ton

Post by ash_ton » May 15th, '08, 18:36

Man Utd all the way!! Moscow, here we come!!! 8)

AF_1

Post by AF_1 » May 16th, '08, 17:47

Jscorpio wrote:
Mario Kempes?? :unsure:
Well done, girl! Your price down below.

Courtesy of Last Friends. :-)

slowmoe

Post by slowmoe » May 16th, '08, 17:59

noooo....not these crappy cups again.....shooottt......

Jscorpio

Post by Jscorpio » May 24th, '08, 03:19

Glory Glory Manchester United!!

Kings of Europe..

I’m off to celebrate.. :-)

neverlandpirate

Post by neverlandpirate » Jul 18th, '11, 23:17

Don't know if this is the right thread but I have not cried in such a long time like I did when Japan's women won the world's cup. I am so happy. ureshii

neverlandpirate

Post by neverlandpirate » Jul 19th, '11, 08:56

Japan is number one in the world in women's soccer, do you think that there will be a drama about soccer soon?

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jul 19th, '11, 12:29

Hehe, would be great, but only with Kimura Takuya as a couch :D

neverlandpirate

Post by neverlandpirate » Jul 19th, '11, 23:48

lols that might be good but he's kinda young coach Norio Sasaki is 53 . Did anyone see the match? It was the most dramatic match ever., Japan came back to tie it twice once in extra time and then won in in penalty kicks!!