[Suggestion] Out with the old in with the New??!!

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

Should we move on to a newer video format?

Move from AVI to MKV
35%
Keep AVI as standard format
65%

Total votes: 23

RisingXun

[Suggestion] Out with the old in with the New??!!

Post by RisingXun » Jul 23rd, '07, 09:46

would fansubbers/encoder want to change the old *.avicontainers and move on to *.mkv??

i think this would be much better than hardsubbing the videos because it wouldnt take much time to just add a subtitle to the video using virtualdubmod (you would just need to direct stream the videos)

mkv also supports H.264 and Ac3 == good quality & small file size

i know many people prefer using .avi since its been around so quite a while...but thats the problem...to encode using a x264 codec into a avi is hacked...sometimes i get problems playing it. the good thing about the .mkv container is that it can support all multimedia files.
im just saying...using this container would have many benefits (chapters..etc) :D

++i would want to hear your thoughts about this topic..++

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Jul 23rd, '07, 10:06

i did download an anime once in mkv format, faced a bit of problems @ first n did some search until i found the right codecs to play it... so i guess there's no prob with it
but I prefer stickin to avi... coz change usually lead to problems, u'll find many users having problems playig the file n it'll take a while till every1 gets used to it.
+ i'm not sure if u can write a mkv file directly on a dvd... can u?? :scratch:

Well ya maybe it's easier from subber's point of view, but i think avi is more handy... besides, i dnt see any problem with the Avi (divx) format... it has a decent quality.

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Jul 23rd, '07, 16:59

I think you should have a 3rd option on the poll saying that "You don't mind either format".

I remember when subbers started releasing anime on MKV and OGM I was against it until like Ore-Sama I got the right codecs and a new laptop which played the files without any probs. Although I still archive most of my stuff in AVI I don't mind either.

RisingXun

Post by RisingXun » Jul 23rd, '07, 18:58

YaGaMi82 wrote:I think you should have a 3rd option on the poll saying that "You don't mind either format".

I remember when subbers started releasing anime on MKV and OGM I was against it until like Ore-Sama I got the right codecs and a new laptop which played the files without any probs. Although I still archive most of my stuff in AVI I don't mind either.
i have no idea how to add another option after i posted...(kinda new to phpbb) i dont see anywhere to add that 3rd option to the poll

RisingXun

Post by RisingXun » Jul 23rd, '07, 19:18

Ore.Sama wrote:i did download an anime once in mkv format, faced a bit of problems @ first n did some search until i found the right codecs to play it... so i guess there's no prob with it
but I prefer stickin to avi... coz change usually lead to problems, u'll find many users having problems playig the file n it'll take a while till every1 gets used to it.
+ i'm not sure if u can write a mkv file directly on a dvd... can u?? :scratch:

Well ya maybe it's easier from subber's point of view, but i think avi is more handy... besides, i dnt see any problem with the Avi (divx) format... it has a decent quality.
Yess!! there are programs that are now able to support .mkv format to be directly convert to dvd such as ConvertXtoDvd and more here

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jul 23rd, '07, 19:28

Subbers are interested in having the largest potential audience possible for their work. Currently that means one divx5 video stream (with a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1) and one mp3/ac3 audio stream in an avi container. I would be most happy with h264/ac3/ass in an mkv myself, but that's still maybe two years away (because most computers worldwide are still too pokey to play h264), and something even better might come along before then.

Remember, we have a worldwide audience, and many fans can't afford hot boxes, so consider your peers around the globe. Fansubbing is one of those areas where thinking globally and acting accordingly is the only option.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 23rd, '07, 21:32

Just a thought... Drama viewers should not have to work hard in order to watch dramas off D-Addicts. Assume the worst - a user who uses something like Windows 98 on a Pentium. In computing, you should never allow documents like video to drive you into purchasing new equipment just to run it. As a content provider, and just like Pokute mentioned, your goal is to reach the masses - and NOT attempt to push new technology and expect people to adapt.

Once again, drama fans are simple people. The demographics I've seen with D-Addicts are:

- Students in their late teens to early 20s.
- Little or no money to spend outside of necessities.
- Uses equipment owned by someone else, such as parents.
- Do not have admin access to PC, or isn't allowed to make any changes.
- Uses bandwidth that is limiting - either in bandwidth or port usage via firewall.
- Equipment is not kept up to the latest operating system, codecs, patches, etc.
- Level of drama fan is beginner - has very little computing savvy.

These demographics are far less than, for example, a Japanese anime fan. Please keep these points in mind.

--- groink

RisingXun

Post by RisingXun » Jul 23rd, '07, 22:44

groink wrote:Just a thought... Drama viewers should not have to work hard in order to watch dramas off D-Addicts. Assume the worst - a user who uses something like Windows 98 on a Pentium. In computing, you should never allow documents like video to drive you into purchasing new equipment just to run it. As a content provider, and just like Pokute mentioned, your goal is to reach the masses - and NOT attempt to push new technology and expect people to adapt.

Once again, drama fans are simple people. The demographics I've seen with D-Addicts are:

- Uses bandwidth that is limiting - either in bandwidth or port usage via firewall.
- Equipment is not kept up to the latest operating system, codecs, patches, etc.

These demographics are far less than, for example, a Japanese anime fan. Please keep these points in mind.

--- groink
if this is the case...then the .mkv containers are perfect because it runs much faster than the .avi containeres and use a bit lower cpu usage

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jul 23rd, '07, 22:55

RisingXun wrote:
groink wrote:Just a thought... Drama viewers should not have to work hard in order to watch dramas off D-Addicts. Assume the worst - a user who uses something like Windows 98 on a Pentium. In computing, you should never allow documents like video to drive you into purchasing new equipment just to run it. As a content provider, and just like Pokute mentioned, your goal is to reach the masses - and NOT attempt to push new technology and expect people to adapt.

--- groink
if this is the case...then the .mkv containers are perfect because it runs much faster than the .avi containeres and use a bit lower cpu usage
Damn, why does every n00b turn out to be a troll these days?

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jul 23rd, '07, 22:59

I wonder what tomorrow's topic will be... Lately we've been through codecs, filenames and now containers.

RisingXun

Post by RisingXun » Jul 23rd, '07, 23:03

pokute wrote:
RisingXun wrote:

--- groink
Damn, why does every n00b turn out to be a troll these days?
just for some information READ PLZ

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jul 23rd, '07, 23:16

If you can ignore 99% of what people tell you, I can ignore 100% of what you tell me. I beat you by 1%, so give up, I win. You can't ignore me 101%... Haha!

Man, it's so hard to get down to this level... My knuckles are taking a beating dragging on the asphalt like this.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 23rd, '07, 23:45

i fixed the poll for you.

i personally prefer the current avi format since i like the convenience of moving them to my creative zen video player or burning to disk to watch on my dvp642.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Jul 24th, '07, 04:21

I agree with pokute, you shoudl try to reach the widest possible audience. Eventually everyone will switch but there's no need to rush.
RisingXun wrote:just for some information READ PLZ
I've read that before as I use CCCP. I've also downloaded both the avi and mkv versions of the same release and the mkv uses more CPU. :roll Although I agree if you are gonna use x.264 it should be mkv not avi.

RisingXun

Re: [Suggestion] Out with the old in with the New??!!

Post by RisingXun » Apr 30th, '15, 19:38

How about an update? Lol