Dramas lose effects over time?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
omoiyou

Dramas lose effects over time?

Post by omoiyou » Feb 12th, '07, 07:55

Yea so i watched all these inspirational and sad dramas like 1 liter or crying out love, when i saw them they were incredible and life changing. After almost a year now i just forgot the strong emotions i had watching them. Do you guys/gals also become indifferent over time?

groink

Post by groink » Feb 12th, '07, 08:10

Just thinking right about a certain drama still brings up those similar emotions, although they're not as strong as it was at the time. I think it is because at that particular moment in time, you cared about the character(s). But at the storyline progresses, things change. And then as the months go by, you actually learn to deal with it. Like for example when I watched Fight, I felt the emotional pain Yu was experiencing - especially during week 8. Now that I watched the whole thing and reflect back on it, things worked out for her at the end, so my emotions changed. But still when I watch certain scenes during that period, it does water the eyes a bit.

--- groink

Dorobou

Post by Dorobou » Feb 12th, '07, 13:47

Yes very much! Like after watching and getting so attached to a drama, you'll feel like you're still on the world of that drama for days even weeks, you just can't get the feeling out of you, but as time passes, you'll understand and let go. I just wondered, at least for me, dramas that gives me those emotions are mostly sad dramas, it just shows how lonely a human person is.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Feb 12th, '07, 14:05

No, not for me, instantly when the subject or name of that certain drama that brought me to tears or ROLF. I can still feel the same emotions if it was instilled in you if it had a big affect on you. I watch ISWAK SO MANY TIMES LOL I never get tired of it I laugh everytime I see it or like watching stairway to heaven or autumn tale it still brings me to tears. (kinda off subject) I don't think I can watch any of Jung Da Bin's drama's happily anymore without crying as if it were a forever sad story. I don't think I'll be able to watch her drama's until her death has been a memory of my past so when its like a few years in the future I can watch it with indifference to what I feel now.

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Feb 12th, '07, 14:31

For me, whenever I watch any good dramas, I realise that I wish it wouldn't be over that fast cos I'm gonna start missing it a lot... :-) Just recently, I finished watching 'Fantasy Couple' and I'm still thinking about how awesome that drama is that I just must watch it again! I love the casts, storyline, hillarious moments which crack me up, touching moments which made me shed tears... just everything about it! And if I were about to watch it right now, it will be as good as watching it the first time :lol Of course, this feeling might fade in a few weeks' time, but seeing as to how this is one good drama which I've seen so far, I doubt this feeling will go away so soon :wub:

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Feb 12th, '07, 19:22

This is IMO only...

What happened with me is that when I first started watching the "intense" dramas they were new and it seemed like unique stories (especially the KDramas) but after you start seeing the same pattern over and over and over (especially with the KDramas! :P ) you don't feel as much for the characters as the 'first' time you saw that type of story line.

When I saw Kim Sam Soon and Love Letter I thought these were just the best dramas ever! I still love them but now I see the same themes in so many KDramas that I can't find the new dramas as moving. It is like "Been there... done that..."

I still prefer JDramas because there is more of a surprise element to most of them. Just when you think it is going one way it suddenly changes most of the time. It just seems more realistic to me.

So does it lose something. I think so. It can't hit you as hard as when you first felt it when you are being whacked with the same thing from other dramas over and over! :P :lol

Quadrono

Post by Quadrono » Feb 12th, '07, 20:12

Well, for me, how much a heavy drama will influence my emotions in the future is related to how I'm feeling or whatever life situation I'm going through at the moment. So, when I reflect back on a particular sad or intense drama, I'm more likely to remember that during so and so time I was watching this or that drama.

For example, when I was watching Winter Sonata, a close friend of mine suddenly passed away in a car accident. And in the drama, there was a scene where Yoo Jin is reprimanding Min Yeong for firing a worker for drinking on the job (because it was the anniversary of his wife's death) and in the scene, she says "nothing in the world changes except for that person's absence"... That scene really got to me, and still does when I hear news of someone passing away.

But that being said, if I'm having a uneventful time while watching a drama, even if its good, and I'm crying for a characters pain and loss and whatever, I'm very likely to forget any feelings generated by the drama when I'm done with it. I hope I'm making sense. :-)

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Feb 12th, '07, 20:25

It's only natural for the emotion to fade over time.. Time heals everything, right?

For me, some series are re-watchable (as in brings back same amount of emotion) and some are not... Tragedy series like 1L no Namida and Sekai no Chuushin... are incredibly touching for me the first time, but definitely not as re-watchable as some other series for me.

EleKYAH

Post by EleKYAH » Feb 12th, '07, 21:34

Hmmm... yes and not. When u finish a great dorama, ure some days after with the emotion and stuff, and u become to lose it when time goes by. But the sensation remains, cos, when i think on a dorama it gives me strange feeling, so i cant see that dorama again, cos i have fear of break this strong remember. That's why, when i watch a dorama, i only see one, and until ive finished it, i dont watch any other, and i watch this one with a lot of attention, and slowly, not like an addiction XD

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Feb 12th, '07, 23:20

KoreanMania wrote:For me, whenever I watch any good dramas, I realise that I wish it wouldn't be over that fast cos I'm gonna start missing it a lot... :-) Just recently, I finished watching 'Fantasy Couple' and I'm still thinking about how awesome that drama is that I just must watch it again! I love the casts, storyline, hillarious moments which crack me up, touching moments which made me shed tears... just everything about it! And if I were about to watch it right now, it will be as good as watching it the first time :lol Of course, this feeling might fade in a few weeks' time, but seeing as to how this is one good drama which I've seen so far, I doubt this feeling will go away so soon :wub:
:w00t: You said that perfectly. I couldn't have said it any other way myself. Me too! When I watch drama's that are really good like ISWAK for instance hehe I wished it wouldn't go over because I'd start missing it. It's like you want to follow there lives till the end because you love watching it so much. hahahahah I'm such a lameo :goggle: :lol I don't care though I LUV ISWAK! ISWAK#2 HURRY AND COME SOON OKAY

hisa

Post by hisa » Feb 12th, '07, 23:37

Yeah...though it depends on how much the drama affected me emotionally at the time. For instance Orange Days still is my favorite drama and I whenever I listen to the soundtrack (which I still do every now and then after a year...or well, almost two? has passed) I start feeling like how I did when I watched it, though not as strong. There are others that I remember reallly liking at the time, even sad that it ended, and thought that 'this is my new fav!' or something similiar along those lines, but now all I can say is it was really good...I can't really associate any strong feeling with it anymore.

@MitsukaiKuroi: I agree about the kdrama thing. I still do like to watch KDramas, but they don't have the same effect on me as when I first started watching them because they're so formulaic! Same essential plot over and over again...same kind of characters too. I also prefer JDramas because they are more real...and I think reflect a lot more other emotions that I can connect with...more variety and more interesting story lines too.

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Feb 12th, '07, 23:38

Yea so i watched all these inspirational and sad dramas like 1 liter or crying out love, when i saw them they were incredible and life changing. After almost a year now i just forgot the strong emotions i had watching them. Do you guys/gals also become indifferent over time?
I agree that time heals...
but for me it depends what kind of drama/movie, how the drama/movie is filmed and the storyline. For example, like Inspiration dramas, the inspiration and important messages (life, wisdom) will stay with me for a long time.
For dramas emphasize on love or sadness, that have to depend on how the dramas are filmed and the storyline. For, drama like "Lunch Queen" or "Satorare", the strong emotions don't really stay after finish watching. Some storylines are really nice that they leaves the lasting impression and when thinking about them, they make me feel the emotion again. One example: "Love Letter" (Japanese movie), ... Ryuuten no Ouhi (Saigo no Koutei) (for Drama)
Last edited by AboutDrama on Feb 13th, '07, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Feb 13th, '07, 00:15

If I just reflect back on the drama then I still feel pretty much the same emotions. Probably not quite as intense as when I first saw it but close enough. However when I re-watch the drama, things just don't feel the same as they originally did.

Viewers become desensitized after watching too many tragic dramas. This is the reason why I don't like to re-watch dramas no matter how good they are because everything diminishes over time. If something has struck me in a deep and emotional way, I just leave it at that, and retain fond memories of that particular drama forever.

itssmojojojo

Post by itssmojojojo » Feb 13th, '07, 00:20

stairway to heaven and sad sonata were just as intense the 2nd time around for me!

Aayanna24

Post by Aayanna24 » Feb 13th, '07, 00:55

i kno that if i watch a drama o rmovie too many times then ill lose that special feeling. i kno when i wached 1 litre of tears ur right it was life changing and i cried buckets on like episode 8, so then i made a copy and watched a few times after and i couldnt even really get into it..so now wat i do is i try to wiat like 6 months before re-watching any drama movie, this helpsme to forget about it a little so that i havent completly memoriszed the storyline and im sytill surprised so i can feelall tose emotions oever again even though they might not be as strong....sense of surprise is still there

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Feb 13th, '07, 03:02

christaluvsdrama wrote:
KoreanMania wrote:For me, whenever I watch any good dramas, I realise that I wish it wouldn't be over that fast cos I'm gonna start missing it a lot... :-) Just recently, I finished watching 'Fantasy Couple' and I'm still thinking about how awesome that drama is that I just must watch it again! I love the casts, storyline, hillarious moments which crack me up, touching moments which made me shed tears... just everything about it! And if I were about to watch it right now, it will be as good as watching it the first time :lol Of course, this feeling might fade in a few weeks' time, but seeing as to how this is one good drama which I've seen so far, I doubt this feeling will go away so soon :wub:
:w00t: You said that perfectly. I couldn't have said it any other way myself. Me too! When I watch drama's that are really good like ISWAK for instance hehe I wished it wouldn't go over because I'd start missing it. It's like you want to follow there lives till the end because you love watching it so much. hahahahah I'm such a lameo :goggle: :lol I don't care though I LUV ISWAK! ISWAK#2 HURRY AND COME SOON OKAY
:lol It's nice to see that someone feels the same way like I do! I have even gone to the extent where I thought of saving the last few episodes and watching it sometime later... hahaha But then again, I cannot wait that long to know how it is going to end :lol :lol In contrary to depressing & draggy dramas... I always cannot wait for it to be over but it often seems like it never ends... feels like I'm putting a knife to my neck but on the other hand, I wanna finish it cos I never stop halfway through... :mrgreen:
Last edited by KoreanMania on Feb 13th, '07, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.

xl0lxl0lx

Post by xl0lxl0lx » Feb 13th, '07, 03:28

i used to feel that way after watching a bad drama and i forgot how good a good drama really is.
i watched several bad korean dramas in a row, and i thought that maybe kdramas just aren't that great to begin with. i took a year break from watching any, then i watched my girl. i'm so glad i did because it brought back all the feelings i used to fell when i watched a drama.

the problem after a good drama ends is that i feel kinda lonely afterwards n want a new drama to fall to, but it think it's much better to wait a bit before starting a new drama because u rn't still hung over the old characters.

Enki

Post by Enki » Feb 13th, '07, 03:47

It's true that re-watching a good drama too close after the first time the emotions tend to cool down.

But after a few years, when I almost forget about the drama, I can re-watch it and still feel like it was fresh. Especially if something happend in life to make me see the story and characters in a completely different way. That's the same with good movies, good books, good songs...anything of quality really :lol

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Feb 13th, '07, 08:52

ehh... i think so.

i've been watching kdramas for about 4-5 years now, and there's really only a handful that i would ever watch again. there are many that i've only watched halfway through and never finished, because it's simply boring and repetitive.

i also think that had i watched the Autumn Tale and Winter Sonata after I'd watch several other dramas, they wouldn't have had the same effect on me as they did at the time. those were the first dramas i watched, and it got me hooked... so i'll give 'em credit for that. but honestly, when i watched a couple episodes of Winter Sonata again for the 2nd time, i realized how slow and uninteresting it actually ways. lol... maybe i was more focused on the beautiful scenery the first time around.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 13th, '07, 21:18

If it's a good drama, then it will give you a huge dose of emotions. I think that there is an immediate overdose which washes out over the weeks and months after you watch a drama. Also, if it's any good, chances are many others will copy it to an extent that the strongest aspects of that drama will be washed out by the imitations.

But, if it's a REALLY good drama. It will still fade a little, but if you watch it again several years later, you get sense of nostalgia as your perspective changes and you experience the drama anew.

I did that with 101 propose, Iguana Musume, long vacation, and a few others and those remain my top dramas.

I want to watch Tokyo love story again. But I think it will take a long time to DL and I can't find my old VHS of it... I think the music was just so special in there

Meteor Garden still holds a strong place in my heart because after all these years, I think it still has the best soundtrack of all the twdramas. All the newer dramas now, just have songs sung by the idols in the drama, or is there for promotion and not especially done for the drama (this was also my pet peeve of HYD1). the songs in MG1 were just expertly chosen and did not limit to just one or two (tho frankly I thought the theme song itself was just decent).

kDramas are ok in my book, so far nothing I'd really watch again except for maybe the first half of Goong

SevereSuffering

Post by SevereSuffering » Mar 20th, '07, 12:46

I too get the same reactions that many people get. I generally forget or learn to deal with the situations in a drama that once brought tears to my eyes. Its not such a bad thing I guess, kinda allows me to have a second perspective of the drama