How many language do you speak?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
jdelo24

Post by jdelo24 » Jun 20th, '07, 23:22

First language is English
took 2 years of spanish in high school; however, it's completely out the window.
i know a little bit of tagalog
just finished 1 year of mandarin, heading into my second year next semester. i'm also using rosetta stone to supplement.

phramc

Post by phramc » Jun 20th, '07, 23:44

um fluent in french and english and somewhat fluent in japanese. I wish I knew more.

a2a

Post by a2a » Jun 21st, '07, 09:05

Well my first language is Greek and since Greek is a very difficult language I can learn other languages more easily.
My second language is English and I'm very fluent in it. Started learning at kindergarten.
Third language is Japanese. I'm slowly beginning to get fluent to it as well.
Fourth language is French but I haven't used them in years although I took French classes in elementary school and middle school! I can actually understand quite a lot of French but don't ask me to speak! It would probably take me ages!
Wanna learn more languages and Korean and Italian are on top of my list for now...

Lalami

Post by Lalami » Jun 22nd, '07, 16:34

My native languages are Russian and Ukrainian.
I speak English, Spanish, Japanese (a little, but I understand it quite well). :whistling:

asianblondgirl

Post by asianblondgirl » Jun 23rd, '07, 01:22

My first languages are Spanish and English , i spoke English at home and Spanish at school and anywhere else i was at.
I know basic Japanese from mostly little things my grandma would say and all, Im practicly fluent in Japanese food speaking though...LOL
And some korean from watching so many dramas.

PoliChan

Post by PoliChan » Jun 23rd, '07, 01:46

My first language is Portuguese, I know fluent English, and I know how to write and read Arabic, but I don't know the meanings so well... ^__^;;;;
I'm learning Japanese very fast now xD, and I know Spanish too xDDD~

varu

Post by varu » Jun 23rd, '07, 11:09

I speak both Swedish and Finnish at home. And I guess my English is good enough.
I took classes in Germany when I was younger, for three years, but all I can remember is the basics. And then, I'm trying to learn Japanese now. Been doing it for a couple of years. Going to Tokyo to study Japanese next year! :)

Angel551

Post by Angel551 » Jun 25th, '07, 18:27

2 language & hoping to learn korean & japaness T_T

niwa1985

Post by niwa1985 » Jun 25th, '07, 18:51

German is my mother tongue.
I'm so happy that I don't have to learn it as a foreign language. Must be very difficult.

English, since school (History, Politics and Geography classes were in English, too).
I understand everyone, I can read everything, I think my writing skills are quite good, but I don't like English pronunciation. It's quite challenging (because you cannot tell the pronunciation just from the writing) and I had no chance yet, to stay in an English country for a longer period, in order to train my talking skills. But it should be on an average level. ; )

I learned French at school too, but I forgot nearly everything, after I started Japanese classes.

I started Japanese at an evening school just for fun, and now I'm studying it at university. It's my favourite language. I like the writing and the sound of the language. Pronunciation is quite easy, if you have German as your first language. Almost every phonem exists in the German language, too.

I learned Korean for one semester, but then I quit it, because learning Japanese and Korean at the same time is quite difficult. In my opinion, Korean is much more difficult than Japanese. You don't need to learn Kanji, but writing a word correct is quite difficult, too, because the Han'gul offers a lot of different possibilities, from which only one is correct. Perhaps I'll start it again sometime. It's still interests me a lot.

I also want to learn some Chinese basics, but I'm very afraid of the pronunciation...

I'm also interested in the Ryukyu language.
My Professor is really into it. It seems, as if he could really speak it. It's funny. ^^

uriel

Post by uriel » Jun 25th, '07, 18:52

Native language(used every day): French, German, Italian, Portuguese (i live in swiss..that's why >_<)
and i learned: English, spanish
Learning right now: Korean

:-)

Cyclopz0rs

Post by Cyclopz0rs » Jun 25th, '07, 19:43

I was born speaking English and Tagalog..so i understand both of them perfectly.
I also know how to speak Japanese kinda fluently and i take Italian classes...but i sleep in that class...kekekeke. :D

mondphasen

Post by mondphasen » Jun 25th, '07, 20:10

My mother tonge is Spanish, but im fluent in English as well, since i learn it when i was 5 years old, then my third language will be japanese wich im very proud to say im fluent. Been studing french for a year now, and my pronunciation is actually good. ^^ :mrgreen:

DramaholicxD

Post by DramaholicxD » Jun 25th, '07, 22:27

I speak.. 3 languages FLUENTLY:
English
Burmese
Mandarin

and then I can speak 4 languages A LITTLE:
Korean
Japanese
Spanish
Taiwanese

durrellie

Post by durrellie » Jun 26th, '07, 01:38

Learning Japaneses but I'm able to watch most raw stuff

symanith

Post by symanith » Jun 26th, '07, 03:19

Wow. Everyone is so impressive! I'm an inferior American who only speak English! Yay! LOL
Seriously though, I 've had 2 years of Spanish which is equivalent to nothing, and I've picked up a few words and phrases from watching dramas in Japanese, Korean and Mandarin. I'm studying languages right now and I want to learn all 3 languages plus Italian. I've considered mastering Spanish and then learning Italian while familiarizing myself with Japanese Kanjii. Any suggestions on how I should approach this?

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Jun 27th, '07, 16:45

Native : English

Second: Spanish (No where near fluent. I can understand, but speaking it much harder for me.)

Japanese: 3 years of learning. I can understand pretty well, speaking is still a bit hard for me, and I SUCK with kanji. ^^'

I hate it when Americans say that English should be the only language that should be learned. They say this because we don't start learning a second language lots of times until we're older and it's much harder to adapt to a 2nd language! >__<'

(I'm an American. So don't yell.)

Anyway, I hate it when I say I can speak roughly 3 languages fluently. "Why did you learn 3 languages?"

...why not??

aawang

Post by aawang » Jun 27th, '07, 21:24

I speak Chinese w/ different dialects, French, Norwegian, English, German, Swedish, poor Japanese and Korean.
Does anyone want to practice languages? Practice with me =D

Avalonstar

Post by Avalonstar » Jun 29th, '07, 22:48

I can speak 2 languages

I can speak english and cantonese*but can't read or write cantonese T_T*

yousei

Post by yousei » Jun 29th, '07, 22:53

I learned 7 languages, wich don't mean I can speak them :cry:

kozumifan

Post by kozumifan » Jun 29th, '07, 22:55

i can speak spanish, english, a little bit of latin, and im learning japanese :-)

DramaholicxD

Post by DramaholicxD » Jun 29th, '07, 23:09

I'm so jealous you guys can speak so many languages! :rambo: :hissy: :hissy:

aawang

Post by aawang » Jun 30th, '07, 00:16

Which languages do you guys want to learn, and why?

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 30th, '07, 00:26

Alright, ill let the cat out of the bag!

I speak English, Japanese, Korean, and currently learning Thai. ;P

Glad I got that off my chest.. :)

JaYbLeS

Post by JaYbLeS » Jun 30th, '07, 07:42

Well for me its English, Tagalog, Japanese(2 years of studying in class) and Korean(1 year in class)....its gets kinda confusing if your trying to learn 2 languages at once :goggle:

shyme

Post by shyme » Jun 30th, '07, 10:03

Tagalog and English here....

shyme

Post by shyme » Jun 30th, '07, 10:05

JaYbLeS wrote:Well for me its English, Tagalog, Japanese(2 years of studying in class) and Korean(1 year in class)....its gets kinda confusing if your trying to learn 2 languages at once :goggle:
Where did you learn tagalog? Are you from the Phil?

aawang

Post by aawang » Jun 30th, '07, 10:11

shyme wrote:
JaYbLeS wrote:Well for me its English, Tagalog, Japanese(2 years of studying in class) and Korean(1 year in class)....its gets kinda confusing if your trying to learn 2 languages at once :goggle:
What kind of language is Tagalog?

~ Phantom ~

Post by ~ Phantom ~ » Jun 30th, '07, 10:24

Native : Arabic
and i know of course English
and right now learn' JP XD

shyme

Post by shyme » Jun 30th, '07, 10:56

aawang wrote:
shyme wrote:
What kind of language is Tagalog?
National language of the Philippines...

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Jun 30th, '07, 11:07

I 'm Japanese-American so:

1. English

2. Japanese...uh, speaking japanese- bad. Grammar is terrible and vocabulary is not great either. No accent, though. ( I don't think so, anyway )

Reading kanji- no way can I do that! Other than a few common words. Didn't learn anything in saturday japanese school as a child and finally stopped going.

Writing japanese- uh, does writing my full name in kanji count for anything?

I can understand most ( 80 % ) of every day conversations if I eavesdrop on native Japanese speakers. Can watch dramas and variety shows without subs. But have trouble if I try to watch NHK news for instance.

What 's shocking is if I say something in Japanese to a native speaker, since they never believe me when I tell them I 'm actually Japanese-American! ( it seems if I don't speak my native language I don't even look Japanese anymore. ) Even if I tell them my Japanese name, I always get a stunned look of disbelief.

Also surprising is some native Japanese that I 've met actually would rather speak english to practice and are somewhat jealous of my perfect english! Crazy!

Pretty sad, I know.

angel333

Post by angel333 » Jul 1st, '07, 21:23

yousei wrote:I learned 7 languages, wich don't mean I can speak them :cry:
Same me I start to study but never finish. Actually I speak good English, Romania, Russian, and somehow spanish and French. But I actully made myself a promise that this year I will start Japanese..

Okashi

Post by Okashi » Jul 1st, '07, 21:36

Spanish is my native language
English is my second language (with a bit of accent)
Japanese, well I can't say its my 3dr language... I can speak a little bit (I can write it better :P )

I'd like to learn more languages :argue:

chocomocha

Post by chocomocha » Jul 2nd, '07, 21:39

hakka (chinese dialect, mother tongue)
cantonease (speak, listen)
mandarin (listen, speak little)
english (speak, listen, write, read)
=4

want to improve on mandarin and learn korean! :)

xfantasee

Post by xfantasee » Jul 7th, '07, 05:20

1. Cantonese
2. English
3. Mandarin (listen better than speak)
4. And I bit of Japanese

meviet

Post by meviet » Jul 7th, '07, 22:23

i was born speaking vietnamese, then started speaking english when i was ten, and then took three years of spanish.
Last edited by meviet on Jul 9th, '07, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

rotor_kid

Post by rotor_kid » Jul 7th, '07, 22:34

native: hmong i could read but cant write that much but i speak it everyday

1st: english started learning ever since 5 have too..i live in america.

2nd: little but of spanish i took two year of spanish in my high school when i was a freshman and sophmore to get my university requirement out of the way.

still learning japanese

i might ask my dad to teach me Thai and French one day

crescent

Post by crescent » Jul 7th, '07, 22:41

well... I'm estonian.. so I can speak Estonian... :D
English (quite well)... have studied about 8 years
Russian (a bit) have studied for 4 Years...
I watched a lot of series in mandarin.. so I got interested and learned it by myself a bit...
and the same goes for Japanese... but I can't say that I can speak em'
but yeah... I will study Japanese some day.. for real.. and I wanna go to Japan someday... maby even live there.. but I have to study language first! :)
haha... and I'm obligated to start learning German... this year... and probably French too!
and maby later.. in a year or so... I have to learn a bit Swedish :) so... I'm gonna be busy :D anyway one of my relatives can speak 22 languages quite fluently :) It's gonna be tough!+
but.. good luck.. ppl who want to learn something :)

YamaPi_4Ever

Post by YamaPi_4Ever » Jul 7th, '07, 22:57

well.. my first language is Vietnamese (i live there for 10 years) - i can speak, write, read, and listen. And my second language would be Cantonese- listen, speak a little - cause both of my parent are chinese. Third is English (live here for almost 5 years) - can speak, listen, write, read. Four is French - well i just learn it for about 1 year (if that count)

Namida Iro

Post by Namida Iro » Jul 7th, '07, 23:31

I was born in Indonesia, so it's my mother tongue. But I'm probably better in English as I moved to Singapore when I was 8. Then I was forced to take Mandarin over here. However, sad to say, I always get lower than 50% for the 8 years that I've been living here (except for when I was in grade 5 and 6).

I wish to study Japanese! I can only catch a few strings of sentences in dramas/talk shows without sub. That's through learning by myself by watching a lot of anime & doramas. :P I went to Japan for an exchange programme last year for 10 days, so I can handle some introductory conversations. I learned to write hiraganas and katakanas by myself. ^^ However I know nothing about kanjis except for those I learnt through Mandarin.

Is Malay language (slightly different from Indonesian) counted too? ^^;

So, I'm fluent in Indonesian and English, can speak, write, listen and understand a bit of Mandarin, understand Malay (I've never tried speaking it in their accent), and know a few words of Japanese (often I translate a bit of the dorama's preview bit at the end of an episode to my mom XD). =P

megan_x3

Post by megan_x3 » Jul 7th, '07, 23:37

I was born in America , went back to HK for the first 4 years , then unexpectedly came back to America . Can speak Cantonese , but .. can't write nor read . Sucks =]
Other than that , I can watch cantonese drama without any problemm ! However , I really want to pursue my learning in korean language . Although I find it quite hard , the dramas make it so easy to learn , although I really want to move to Korea one day and find out how it is to live there .

ShadowMystika

Post by ShadowMystika » Jul 7th, '07, 23:52

i was born speaking mandarin chinese, then started speaking english in preschool. Now my english is better than my chinese :unsure:
ive been studying spanish for 5 years (and can speak it better than chinese now too) :|

i know bits of japanese from watching so many dramas.
i REALLY want to study it but i dont know where high schoolers can study it in colorado without it affecting my high school classes :(

so 3.0005 languages =]

anyone know any websites where i could study basic japanese? :D

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Jul 8th, '07, 00:37

my mother tong is Arabic and my Second language is English it is Taught in just the Basic schools mostly i Learned it from movies, i speak and understand 99% of it
but my writing is bad if it was int for the spell check u wont understand any thing i say :D

Elva

Post by Elva » Jul 8th, '07, 01:10

.... I speaks 5 Languages

1. Cantonese
2. English
3. Mandarin
4.Foochowese
5.Japanese

Madel5566

Post by Madel5566 » Jul 8th, '07, 07:24

Hmmm...

English--has to be learnt in school...
Chinese--mother tongue~!!
Malay--conversational malay, taken up in school. Learnt for two years.
Japanese--self study. Still at basics.

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Jul 8th, '07, 08:35

Wow, how'd I not see this thread! :blink Anyways, hajimemashite~ minna!^^

Let's see, I'm fluent in English, Japanese and Pidgin (Hawaii Creole English). I suck at English sometimes because I lack some of the basic grammar and vocabulary due to moving to Japan at an early age and not getting the proper foundation. I sometimes suck at Japanese too when it's material beyond what I've learned, or is too ancient to comprehend. But I do teach both English and Japanese to non-natives, and do translations on a regular basis. (probably figured out why by my avatar, ne? :D ) Over all though, I love both languages. Particularly Kanji. I'm like a Kanji freak. :P *blushes*

I've also studied Spanish in high school for 2 years, Hawaiian and French for a year each in college, and been trying to self teach myself Italian, German,Russian, Korean, Chinese, Thai, and Arabic on my free time (which is never). I also understand a bit of Ilokano (a Filipino language) since some of my close friends speak it. As far as Spanish and French go, I'm better at recognizing the written language over the spoken. Hawaiian on the other hand, since it is quite close to Pidgin, I can understand the spoken better. :P And of course I fail at the self taught languages, like BIG time! :cry: But I will ganbarimasu! :mrgreen: So, minna mo ganbatte~! :thumright:

Star Candy

Post by Star Candy » Jul 8th, '07, 21:42

None of the languages I know, am I perfect at...

my mother tongue is worser than the language I've learned 3 years :crazy: I get everything mixed, grammar, vocabulary, etc, my mother tongue is the worst...
I've learned: french (4 years), german (3.5 years), english (17 years, since birth), russian (I can only read it), japanese (8 months), I also had some latin and classic greek lessons, but those I do not remember perfectly... well, I also live in a non-english country.

roygvib

Post by roygvib » Jul 10th, '07, 09:22

hindi and english - learned both since birth.

Noale

Post by Noale » Jul 10th, '07, 12:21

Dutch, English and a little French, Spanish and German. But next year I'm going to study more French and German for school, so that'll definately improve :mrgreen: I just don't like the fact that my school doesn't offer anything but European languages..

NikiChow2

Post by NikiChow2 » Jul 10th, '07, 12:56

Edited
Last edited by NikiChow2 on May 5th, '08, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

shizaki

Post by shizaki » Jul 11th, '07, 00:32

^^ I am able to speak write and understand:

Korean
Filipino
English

Sadly, I only know how to write and read japanese
but can't understand it at all^^

Asiafever

Post by Asiafever » Jul 11th, '07, 23:05

French is my mother tongue, I can speak English fluently, I can speak Mandarin but I am not fluent yet, I just moved to Germany so I will have to learn German and I am also currently learning Japanese, I know close to 100 words right now but I expect to be able to speak fluently 1 year from now!

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Jul 12th, '07, 09:53

Arabic - first lang.
Eng - 2nd lang.

learning japanese... hopefully i'll bcom a pro 1 day >_<

hpete

Post by hpete » Jul 15th, '07, 02:13

ich spreche deutch
saya ckp bhs mlyu
i speak english

3language so far
in the past arabic and chinese but i forgot already :lol

check this out
www.otaku-cafe.com

JwKuo87

Post by JwKuo87 » Jul 15th, '07, 04:29

Mother tongue: Chinese (Wenzhou Dialect)
Fluent: Dutch, English
Advanced: Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese)
Intermediate: French, German, Japanese

Besides that, I know just a few Spanish phrases, a few Korean phrases and I've studied the ancient Greek language and Latin for two years.

It seems a lot but I grew up in The Netherlands. Dutch, English, French, German, Greek and Latin are all part of high school curriculum. Japanese is just something I recently picked up. Watched a lot of anime, got acquainted with some Japanese people on a regular basis and learned a lot of the basics.

reiyuki

Post by reiyuki » Jul 15th, '07, 04:33

i'm biligual
i speak tagalog and english

Farah_UK

Post by Farah_UK » Jul 16th, '07, 20:38

I am fluent in English and Arabic, also I know a bit of Spanish and Italian. I generally love learning languages so my goal now is to master Spanish and Japanese. :-) Here's hoping I will achieve this goal someday 8)

ZPanda

Post by ZPanda » Jul 17th, '07, 04:28

Vietnamese and English.
I learned some Japanese from watching anime for over half my life, but the most I can do for now is start a casual converstion and call my family in Jap. :P

kamiru000

Post by kamiru000 » Jul 17th, '07, 04:42

Im fluent in Tagalog and English
I learned Spanish in school for 5 yrs now and Latin for two years.

so 4 languages

i know some korean&japanese&taiwanese from watching dramas... but i dont think they count as a language that i "know".

grunhilda

Post by grunhilda » Jul 17th, '07, 04:54

my first language is Swedish, and Danish and Norwegian come sort of attached with that, so I don't count them, even though a lot of Swedes don't understand them. English, of course, took French for four years so I know a *little* of that, and then...Spanish. which I'm better at, but I get all the verb tenses wrong, and my vocab sucks.

so... two and a half language :P

Ceciel

Post by Ceciel » Jul 17th, '07, 21:07

First language Dutch
My mother language Chinese ( Cantonese & Mandrin)
English
At school I'm also learning French en German but I sucks in it :P

Heartbreak

Post by Heartbreak » Jul 22nd, '07, 10:49

Well, I can speak French (my mother tongue), english (daily life), german, japanese and Swiss.

Actually, this years, I start to learn Korean ^_^.

muki-chan

Post by muki-chan » Jul 22nd, '07, 10:55

wow... you all can speak in a lot of languages. :S I only know Hungarian /my mother language/ and in English. I learned German for 4 years...but I cant speak it. Moreover I can understand a little from Japanese, but its just from animes and dramas.

Hikari Zoldyke

Post by Hikari Zoldyke » Jul 25th, '07, 04:53

i can speak...Arabic - English - Japanese - Russian(im not really good on it) & a little farice :mrgreen:

mokyomi

Post by mokyomi » Jul 25th, '07, 09:16

Lol i'm not surprised that many know Japanese XD.

I am Malay but shamefully cannot speak it well [ i DO know how to speak it but i just suck at it XD ] instead i grew up speaking french [ when i was like 2 to 7 ] and then english. So thats...
- Malay
- English
- French
I tell people i can speak japanese and when they ask me to talk i just recite a japanese song in talking form XDDD. my sister can actually speak japanese [ she takes lessons ] and she gets sooo annoyed whenever i do that >:333

but it think if everyone keeps up with watching doramas with subtitles their knowledge of that language will improve. Because it's easy to remember the little phrases like 'betsu ni' and 'sonna koto naiyo' [ or something ]

i hope to learn japanese.
what do you think is a beneficial language to learn?

nandasmith

Post by nandasmith » Jul 26th, '07, 13:34

First Post!!!!!!

Hello, everyone!!!

Well, it´s sad, but I can only speak 2 languages: Portuguese ( my mother language), and English ( not so good), I know a little bit about spanish, but i can´t say that I speak...

I realy want to learn korean as everyone...but I think it wiil be hard...

amz_dreamz

Post by amz_dreamz » Jul 26th, '07, 14:04

i speak Malay and English
plus basic Nihongo and Francais (still learning)

hasen

Post by hasen » Jul 26th, '07, 19:51

Arabic - (mother tounge)
English - (I live in Canada)

I'm trying to learn Japanese (日本語) but still just a beginner

If dialects count .. I know about 4 or 5 dialects of Arabic (Iraq/baghdad, iraq/mousil, egypt, syria, libya)

H2O

Post by H2O » Jul 26th, '07, 19:59

I'm fluent in Vietnamese, English, Spanish; I know some Chinese, Korean, French, Somalian. :]

rotor_kid

Post by rotor_kid » Jul 30th, '07, 06:42

i'm so jealous of some of you guys knowing how to speak many language. i only know 2 really well and one not so good because i dont use it. the first one is hmong witch i speak everyday and second is english which i've been learning ever since i was 5 years old. The third is just a little of spanish which i took 2 years of it just to finish off my requirement which i can only speak a little bit right now because i never use it.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jul 30th, '07, 06:57

rotor_kid wrote:i'm so jealous of some of you guys knowing how to speak many language. i only know 2 really well and one not so good because i dont use it. the first one is hmong witch i speak everyday and second is english which i've been learning ever since i was 5 years old. The third is just a little of spanish which i took 2 years of it just to finish off my requirement which i can only speak a little bit right now because i never use it.
Don't worry, that's still way above average in your country! I wouldn't worry too much about how many languages people are claiming they can speak in here because a lot of people seem to think that being able to hold a simple conversation means you can actually speak it (look at how many people are claiming they speak Japanese. My feeling is 90% are not anywhere near fluent (to me, that is when you basically speak, read and write as well as a native speaker and just lack some vocabulary) or could even pass the JLPT Level 1).

rotor_kid

Post by rotor_kid » Aug 1st, '07, 06:25

Néa Vanille wrote:
rotor_kid wrote:i'm so jealous of some of you guys knowing how to speak many language. i only know 2 really well and one not so good because i dont use it. the first one is hmong witch i speak everyday and second is english which i've been learning ever since i was 5 years old. The third is just a little of spanish which i took 2 years of it just to finish off my requirement which i can only speak a little bit right now because i never use it.
Don't worry, that's still way above average in your country! I wouldn't worry too much about how many languages people are claiming they can speak in here because a lot of people seem to think that being able to hold a simple conversation means you can actually speak it (look at how many people are claiming they speak Japanese. My feeling is 90% are not anywhere near fluent (to me, that is when you basically speak, read and write as well as a native speaker and just lack some vocabulary) or could even pass the JLPT Level 1).
I could speak my native language without any problem but i still need to learn how to write. i could talk all day in hmong but when it comes to writing i could only write just a little bit, but i had no problem writing and speaking english, the only problem is that my vocabulary is not that great but its good enought to let me be in regular english class instead of those class where it is ment for people who has english as a second language, but i can speak in english all day long without any problem, but i can speak a whole lot better if i was talking in hmong then in english but for writing i can write a whole lot better in english than in hmong. I know for a fact that some people are like me. I took two years of spanish and could only speak just a little bit from my point of view.

punjaban85

Post by punjaban85 » Aug 1st, '07, 06:29

english, hindi, punjabi.. i can speak urdu coz its similar to hindi in speaking and read sanskrit coz its similar to hindi in riting...ahaha
learning korean now.. =)

Maeks

Post by Maeks » Aug 1st, '07, 19:24

One! English. I'm going into my fourth year of studying Japanese, though. But I'm not anywhere near any sort of fluency, I can barely hold a conversation of any depth, it usually just reverts to me trying to explain some abstract concept with my hands, which does not work well.

But I still have rather lofty plans for my language abilities, I made the mistake last ear of taking a Korean class along with Japanese, and while I still would very much like to learn Korean, I offer this sage advice to you: Unless you are exceptionally good at learning languages, focus on one at a time! The only way I didn't fail Korean horribly was the strong similarities to Japanese.

hush~its~jpop

Post by hush~its~jpop » Aug 1st, '07, 19:30

Everyones so different from one another! :D
I speak 2 English with friends & sibling and Spanish with my parents ^.^ Hmm &&&& sumtimes i speak practice korean with my friend but eerr not sure if it counts >.< hehe

Yinggg

Post by Yinggg » Aug 1st, '07, 19:54

My fluent langauge are:
1 Chinese 'Wenzhou' exactly
2 Dutch
3 English
4 Chinese 'Manderin' but i'm still learning at school (my parents have put me on a chinese school since when i was 5, but my Manderin was really poor 2 years ago buy now my manderin is better cuz of TV and stuff!)

i'm learning:
french and german but thats becaus of school but both language are really poor!
and i'm also learning Korean but i'm still a beginner!