Subbed or Dubbed?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

I prefer dramas/movies/anime...

Subbed
78%
Mostly Subbed
10%
Dubbed
2%
Mostly Dubbed
3%
Original (None)
7%

Total votes: 58

azndgn26

Subbed or Dubbed?

Post by azndgn26 » Apr 14th, '06, 17:28

When I'm watching something with a language I don't understand, I would want english subs so that I can understand wat's happening in the show but keeping the original language. The only time I prefer something dubbed is when something is in cantonese, I prefer it to be in mandarin. I hate it when Korean dramas are dubbed in chinese or if anything is dubbed in english cuz then it takes away the humor and the original sound of the drama and it becomes less entertaining. So in conclusion, I'd prefer subs most of the time.
Last edited by azndgn26 on Apr 14th, '06, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Apr 14th, '06, 17:38

subbed of course. dubbed totally ruins the whole thing

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Apr 14th, '06, 17:48

I can't stand dubbed, the more you watch subs the less you notice them, you read them out the corner of your eye and get on with enjoying the movie/episode. Unfortunately a lot of people don't read, so they find subs too much like hard work. So most of the world misses out on wonderful films from other countries, and don't learn about new cultures, because reading is something they don't want to do.

The only time subs annoy me is when they are badly out of place in translation, or too small to read, or plain white, because they disappear. As a huge fan of historical dramas from all over the world (but I especially love Japanese, Korean and Chinese) it snaps me out of my enjoyment when the translator puts in modern slang terms, it kills the mood for me, at least for a while. For example, a samurai would never, under any circumstances, invite another samurai to duel by saying "Bring it on!". That's my personal taste, but I'm sure that kind of translation helps some people cope with subs.

I think fansubbers are just plain wonderful. I live in UK, where nothing like this is available on television, so I would never get to see anything without the subbers, or unless I wanted to buy them from US Ebay, from someone who downloaded the subbers work!

leo008

Re: Subbed or Dubbed?

Post by leo008 » Apr 14th, '06, 18:04

azndgn26 wrote:When I'm watching something with a language I don't understand, I would want english subs so that I can understand wat's happening in the show but keeping the original language. The only time I prefer something dubbed is when something is in cantonese, I prefer it to be in mandarin. I hate it when Korean dramas are dubbed in chinese or if anything is dubbed in english cuz then it takes away the humor and the original sound of the drama and it becomes less entertaining. So in conclusion, I'd prefer subs most of the time.
I'm the same but the other way round. I don't understand madarin so I'd prefer it in Cantonese dub. If thats not possible subtitles are the next best thing. but sometimes its really hard to sub it right in context.

pao113
Philippines

SUB

Post by pao113 » Apr 14th, '06, 18:11

For me sub is the best because with dubbing i just can't feel the emotion of the person talking because of the one who are dubbing them they have different emotion it is best to use the person who really is talking because that is the real emotion of the person and the voice sometimes does not match with the character of the person. People viewing them can really tell the difference. In subbing although there would be some mistake in spelling or grammar but the people subbing them can change or revised them right away.

Halko

Post by Halko » Apr 14th, '06, 18:53

Subbed, most definetely! I can't stand watching dubbed things. XD It feels weird, lmao.

BoX

Post by BoX » Apr 14th, '06, 19:32

Dubbing - maybe only for children's animations, movies etc., but in any other case is awful. IMO it totaly ruins movies, how come you even think of dubbing actors like Robert De Niro or Al Pacino (for example). If movie is in english I prefer to watch without subs, so that I can exercise it. For movies in other languages and j-dramas - with subs.

Schala

Post by Schala » Apr 15th, '06, 02:08

I prefer to watch anything foreign (anime, movies, tv shows, etc.) in the original language it was made. Not just for Asian, but ANY language. I feel when it's dubbed into a different language, it loses meaning.

P.S. - I don't think too many people here on D-Addicts will say they prefer dubs, since I don't know of any dramas being available in dub format. ^^0

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Apr 15th, '06, 02:13

I perfer sub too because once you get used to them, it's like they're hardly there at all. Although, I am guilty of watching a lot of vietnamese dubbed chinese dramas when I was younger. :P

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Apr 15th, '06, 02:33

Dubbing isn't necessarily bad. I remember watching shows in Japan that were dubbed and they were ok. I think the key is whether you have decent dubbers or not. I have no idea why, but the U.S. is not a good place to watch things dubbed (we have a lot of bad voice actors for some reason).

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Apr 15th, '06, 02:40

agree w/ the majority... i prefer subs over dubs.

most of the time, i can't stand the annoying voices dubbed over the original language. besides, i've always preferred to hear an actor or actress' natural voice instead.

raider73

Post by raider73 » Apr 15th, '06, 02:41

Subbed is the best. The worst is the 1 person dubbed that I see my friend watch in Vietnamese--1 person does the voice for everyone in the show(male or female), that is ridiculous to me and not even worth watching but she still watches it somehow.

tofu_lady

Post by tofu_lady » Apr 15th, '06, 02:41

I watch my HK dramas dubbed... I've watched them dubbed since I was a little kid... I always thought they really spoke Vietnamese... anyway.. as for everything else (kdrama, jdrama and... dramas from Taiwan..? hahaha) I watch them subbed... I've watched a few dubbed Korean dramas too... but it's not cool hearing the actor's 'fake' voice (till this day, I haven't heard many of the HK actors' real voices :blink ). It makes them sound less sexy.. and after a while, you start to wonder why so many people have the same voice. It gets kinda awkward because sometimes the voice doesn't even match their face or maybe sometimes the person who does their subbed voice is changed and this whole big mess is created... and yeah, finally, the whole thing gets screwed up and nothing flows. But I know some people out there like their stuff dubbed. It easier for them to follow cause they don't read as fast... or they're just plain lazy. :P

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Apr 15th, '06, 02:45

Prince of Moles wrote:Dubbing isn't necessarily bad. I remember watching shows in Japan that were dubbed and they were ok. I think the key is whether you have decent dubbers or not. I have no idea why, but the U.S. is not a good place to watch things dubbed (we have a lot of bad voice actors for some reason).
I concur, the chinese dramas that were dubbed in viet wasn't bad for me at all so I thought they did a pretty decent job. The shows in the U.S usually do have really bad dubbed things, it's like they found some random person on the street to do it.

tofu_lady

Post by tofu_lady » Apr 15th, '06, 02:47

raider73 wrote:Subbed is the best. The worst is the 1 person dubbed that I see my friend watch in Vietnamese--1 person does the voice for everyone in the show(male or female), that is ridiculous to me and not even worth watching but she still watches it somehow.
OMG! My mom watched one of those horribly dubbed dramas once! But, I think that those were dubbed in Vietnam and were brought here. The funniest thing is when it's a lady's voice speaking for a man and vice versa. It's kinda hard to follow too cause you don't really get who's speaking after a while cause it's all the same person. Bleh.

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Apr 15th, '06, 03:12

tofu_lady wrote:
raider73 wrote:Subbed is the best. The worst is the 1 person dubbed that I see my friend watch in Vietnamese--1 person does the voice for everyone in the show(male or female), that is ridiculous to me and not even worth watching but she still watches it somehow.
OMG! My mom watched one of those horribly dubbed dramas once! But, I think that those were dubbed in Vietnam and were brought here. The funniest thing is when it's a lady's voice speaking for a man and vice versa. It's kinda hard to follow too cause you don't really get who's speaking after a while cause it's all the same person. Bleh.
lol, that's funny, I've never experienced that one before & I hope I dun

tofu_lady

Post by tofu_lady » Apr 15th, '06, 03:16

I hope you never do, cause it makes you wanna throw rocks at your TV to make it stop. =P

Ruka707

Post by Ruka707 » Jun 25th, '08, 19:06

I prefer subbed over dubbed, but I like original the best.

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Jun 25th, '08, 19:20

I totally hate any show/movie that is dubbed, no matter how much I want to watch it, I just refuse to watch anything that is dubbed. The audio is not nearly as nice as the original and most often the voice on the dubbed version are sometimes too funny :P

Subbed FTW :D

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Jul 1st, '08, 07:55

Hmm, I'm the only one that voted for the dub :thumleft:

naadianaa

Post by naadianaa » Jul 1st, '08, 08:20

Subbed all the way... I hate dubbed... Refuse to watch a dubbed drama/movie but unfortunately half of the korean drama in my country are dubbed. The 'horror' :crazy:
That's why I'm here... no dubbed but subbed.... :P :thumright:

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jul 1st, '08, 08:31

Either is fine for me. As long as its not crappy.
Good dubbing > Engrish subs.

qnhu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by qnhu » Jul 1st, '08, 08:43

Zealousy wrote:Good dubbing > Engrish subs.
I agree with that, but I still prefer English subbed stuff (Viet subs are mostly horrible, no offense).

j_halo7

Post by j_halo7 » Jul 2nd, '08, 18:50

i hate dubbing cuz it sounds really weird. especially when you switch over and listen to the original then switch back to dubbed. but i had to rely on chinese dub when i watched HK dramas in the past. thank goodness for some smartie who thought of having english subs with HK dramas now! so my mum can watch her HK dramas in cantonese while i read the english subs. (^_^)b

ohhh this topic reminds me of how i waited months for the Goong DVD boxset cuz i refused to buy the HK/China version which had chinese dub only. XD