Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Which Drama do you like best? Korean Chinese or Japanese?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

Which Drama do you like best? Korean Chinese or Japanese?

Korean
204
35%
Japanese
323
55%
Chinese
63
11%
 
Total votes: 590

User avatar
Ivanavi
Posts: 119
Joined: Mar 8th, '08, 13:05

Post by Ivanavi » Mar 8th, '08, 14:37

Jdramas, definitely!

i like the variety. And they're not too mushy. Favorites are Engine, Liar Game, GTO and Beach Boys.

User avatar
maakopla
Posts: 299
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 14:15
Location: Finland

Post by maakopla » Mar 9th, '08, 01:16

Kdrama. I think that Jdrama's lack in romance. Jdramas are good but somehow too neat and perfect. C/twdramas again are maybe too sweet and acting is not that good. In Kdramas plots are complicated usually and characters tend to have good chemistry.

User avatar
macross
Posts: 53
Joined: Jul 28th, '05, 04:31
Location: Long Beach, CA

Post by macross » Mar 9th, '08, 01:38

I like Japanese more, because they are shorter honestly. Then korean then chinese I suppose. Chinese dramas are so long. I hate dramas that drag on, unless they are really good.

User avatar
tmjr2006
Posts: 18
Joined: Jan 2nd, '06, 09:51

Post by tmjr2006 » Mar 9th, '08, 02:12

i really like watching various dramas either or if they are Japanese,Korean,or Chinese but i do tend to go to more Japanese Dramas most..plus im studying Japanese so i understand alot/most,or some japanese...

User avatar
co0o0ol
Posts: 9
Joined: Mar 2nd, '08, 10:09

Post by co0o0ol » Mar 16th, '08, 05:37

i watch all of them but Korean Dramas r the best ^^

alcozar
Posts: 140
Joined: May 26th, '04, 16:52

Post by alcozar » Mar 16th, '08, 09:26

Kdramas generally at the moment.

User avatar
house_elf_cutie
Posts: 6
Joined: Jan 11th, '08, 22:32
Location: United States

Post by house_elf_cutie » Mar 25th, '08, 00:43

jdramas..i jthink the storylines are better and the script...

User avatar
Guoniant
Posts: 40
Joined: Feb 25th, '07, 04:11
Location: U.S

Post by Guoniant » Mar 28th, '08, 14:08

I cannot stand the slow paced and tediously loooong korean dramas...when I watch them, I usually fast forward and it doesn't even affect the storyline lol. Almost all the korean dramas are purely about love, and it's so unrealistic, although I do admit it's VERY romantic to the point of cheesiness. They remind me of Japanese Shojyo Manga (manga for teenage girls) where every story is what every girl dream of.. i.e. a girl is loved by 2 or more really handsome looking men, and although both 2 guys compete to do anything for her to win her heart, she falls in love with one of them.. and eventually she is found to have a terminal disease.. or something like that!
No wonder a lot of girls like korean dramas (except for me) becuz that's wat all the girls dream of, but which doesn't happen in reality.. the stories are too cliche and they are all similar...

Jap dramas have more unique storylines and they are not centered about love. There's always a lot of other things involved which is very realistic. And I also find Jap dramas to be funny and fast paced, so I don't feel like I have to fastforward lol.

And I like Chinese dramas too, although I have not seen too many. (When I say chinese drama, I don't include Taiwan dramas.. JUST Chinese) They are usually suspenseful and interesting. The only bad part is that it's too long.. too many episodes lol.

User avatar
kittykhatz20
Posts: 92
Joined: Jan 11th, '08, 07:50
Location: Manila

Post by kittykhatz20 » Mar 28th, '08, 14:27

I like the Japanese ones better because they're well rounded... it's not always about romance... the stories revolve around other things, they may have romance as a sub plot but you know that it's not always the mushy stuff... Korean and Chinese drama are often than not romance centric... I like romance but sometimes... a variation of themes is a good thing...

RAV4-07
Posts: 52
Joined: Mar 16th, '08, 04:12

where to download

Post by RAV4-07 » Apr 8th, '08, 04:15

Anyone know where to download singapore and korean movie or drama with english Sub.... ? thank you

User avatar
Lord Allmighty
Posts: 15
Joined: Jul 31st, '08, 13:24

K Drama Sucks !!!

Post by Lord Allmighty » Jul 25th, '09, 23:32

If anyone would name one Korean drama series that isn't about a Cinderella kind of story that goes on for dozens of episodes I'll give up dramas forever. They're just copying the Japanese in all that they do, starting alimentary products, pop songs and dramas too. They're copying it but when it comes to dramas they're copying it bad, really bad. No depth of characters, bad acting, not convincing at all, cheap stories, and the list would go on but I'll stop right here and i would listen to your recommendations for a good k-drama series. And i can't really get use to the Korean language it's like yelling all the time not a beautiful language at all I'd say. No hard feelings I'm entitled to have an opinion right.

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Jul 25th, '09, 23:48

I could never get into Korean dramas since they always seem to revolve around love stories, something that although I don't hate, it wouldn't be left on my HD for long. I was thinking since Korea seems to come out with some very good action/horror/mystery movies I though they're dramas would be much more varied than it is.

So for me Japanese dramas are the best since it has very good variety of dramas to watch.

nasa88my
Posts: 7
Joined: Jun 19th, '09, 09:56

Post by nasa88my » Jul 26th, '09, 00:46

I just love Korean drama. Lovely actress and beautiful bright costumes that make the film greater.
I just love all the historic drama :)

Favorite : Empress Chun Chu, The Great King Sejong, Iljimae, Dae Jang Geum, Jumong, and Emperor of the sea.

ooijanice
Posts: 94
Joined: May 9th, '04, 12:16

Post by ooijanice » Jul 26th, '09, 02:03

I like JDramas but i love KDramas mostly.
I agree that it is mushy and too long at times but
I love the costumes, especially epic dramas and that goes for
Jdramas too.
In modern drmas I love to see the accessories they wear. :wub:

AxiomofDreams
Posts: 17
Joined: Jul 24th, '09, 02:18

Post by AxiomofDreams » Jul 26th, '09, 02:30

I like C/TW Dramas because I can understand what they're saying...idk sometimes I feel like it's extra work to read subtitles when I'm watching dramas late at night. Content-wise I don't really have particular favorites, maybe because I haven't seen enough

User avatar
garcon
Posts: 33
Joined: Dec 22nd, '08, 05:59

Post by garcon » Aug 13th, '09, 11:04

for me japanese dramas..more genre.more subtle and inspirational
kdramas are all cliche..and it's all because of Kdramas that i got super tired of romance..
8)

KaylaKML
Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 14th, '09, 06:58

Post by KaylaKML » Aug 16th, '09, 05:17

I prefer Japanese, because they are just the right pace. I find alot of Taiwanese shows to be very annoying, not all though. It Started With A Kiss was annoying alot of the time, but it was really good anyway.

Korean drag way too much, nearly every show is the same soap opera with a different cast, and a different plot. However I love Korean ones anyway, I just tend to fastforward alot.

Japanese shows are different. Not something normal, for instance they do alot of manga ones, which are quarky. Then they can do action/thriller. It isnt the same stuff, they usually dont drag, and I rarely find annoying ones. They usually make me think when wil lthere be a special. Haha.

el_canuck
Posts: 207
Joined: Apr 30th, '08, 18:38

Post by el_canuck » Aug 16th, '09, 06:46

Each has their good points and bad. Jdrama has less episodes and more mystery and suspense.
Kdrama is more romance and comedy. Jdrama has Kimura Takuya. While Kdrama has Gong Yoo.
Coffee Prince (Kdrama) and Nodame Cantabile (Jdrama) are my two favorite shows, but in the end I voted KDRAMA.

tkah
Posts: 69
Joined: Nov 10th, '08, 16:56
Location: Canada

Post by tkah » Aug 16th, '09, 07:12

I started out being hooked on Japanese dramas (like a previous comment - especially with Kimura Takuya) but recently have really enjoyed some Korean dramas - they just seem to have more depth. I have favorites from all categories regardless. But this is my final rating
1) Korean Dramas
2) Japanese Dramas
3) Taiwanese Dramas

el_canuck
Posts: 207
Joined: Apr 30th, '08, 18:38

Post by el_canuck » Aug 17th, '09, 00:52

I wonder what the voting would be like if there was NO Kimura Takuya?????
He completely dominates JDrama. Wonder what he makes?

User avatar
delaciel
Posts: 79
Joined: Jul 12th, '09, 10:07

Post by delaciel » Aug 17th, '09, 01:12

For me:
1. Japanese --> I always love Jdorama because it's shorter than the other two but always in the right pace. Japanese doramas have more variety of themes... Most of them are well made, inspirational, and unique (I don't know how to say it, but for me most of Japanese doramas looks 'clean' in term of editing and everything). Well, I'm a jdoramas addict so, maybe I'm a little bias...
2. Korean --> I think I would prefer Korean Drama if I want to watch a romantic dramas. Korean always can make a beautiful romantic drama. But, for me sometimes Kdrama ended up a little dragging and long.... I have some favorite Kdramas but lately I kind of lazy watch Kdrama because they kind of repeated the same 'pattern'. The latest Kdorama that I love is Coffee Prince.
3. Chinese --> Oh I love a view of Chinese or Taiwanese drama... But, after watched many Jdorama or Kdrama, I kind of loosing my interest of Chinese dramas. And some of my fav Chinese/Taiwanese dramas are actually based on Japanese manga LOL (like Mars, The Devil Beside You, and the fenomenal MG)

Lucille
Posts: 211
Joined: Mar 9th, '08, 00:57
Location: Virginia

Post by Lucille » Aug 17th, '09, 01:46

This is a very difficult question for me. I watch more Korean dramas than any other. If you were to ask me what are my top ten favorite dramas of all time then 4 would be TW, 2 Korean, and 4 Japanese. At the time, Korean dramas are exciting and I can't wait to get to the next episodes. But (with a few exceptions) once I'm done, I'm done. I find that Japanese and TW dramas have more rewatchability. Some of my favorite TW and Jdorams, I have watched over and over again. I personally can't say the same for Korean ones. So, having said all of that, I will still say that Korean dramas are my favorite because they take you on more of an emotional car ride, than the other types. But Japanese and TW dramas are for longevity, you'll never get tired of them.

User avatar
devillicious
Posts: 36
Joined: Feb 14th, '07, 22:58
Location: Computer, Living Room, House (Canada!)
Contact:

Post by devillicious » Sep 9th, '09, 16:24

I prefer Japanese dramas. I find the storylines compelling and there is usually a good variety of genres to watch. I can usually find several that sound interesting enough.

I'll watch Korean dramas if one sounds interesting enough but I'm not very familiar with most of the actors/actresses as I am with the Japanese ones. I guess I have to get into watching Korean dramas which I'm more than willing to do (I just need more time).

I haven't watched any Chinese dramas.

I know you didn't mention Taiwanese dramas but I'll state my opinion anyway. I find that many Taiwanese dramas are too silly and I get disgusted by them too easily. There are a few that I enjoy (Hana Kimi, Why Why Love, Corner With Love <= I quit watching it because it started getting boring and I lost interest BUT it got me interested in Xiao Zhu of whom I adore :wub: and Hot Shot) but I usually won't waste time/disk space on them unless one sounds interesting enough.

User avatar
mako_chan
Posts: 75
Joined: Jan 19th, '09, 11:34
Location: Turkey

Post by mako_chan » Sep 9th, '09, 16:27

I so love japanese drama hana yori fango :)

User avatar
acejem
Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 14th, '09, 13:07
Location: WA, Australia

Post by acejem » Sep 14th, '09, 14:07

I'm more of an oldschool korean drama watcher. Watched and loved stuff like:

Wang-Cho (왕초)
Ho-Jun (허준)
Sang-do (상도)
All-In (올인)

Don't think any of these, with the exception of All-in would have been fansubbed/licensed. As a korean who moved to Australian when I was 4-5 years old, I still retained some fluency in korean mainly because it's the language I speak to my parents. All of these above dramas I watched raw and was able to understand it pretty well.

I find modern K-dramas to be to be of the same style, repetitive and boring i.e. of the romantic, dramatic, bawfest types.; basically lack new stories/plots. I find J-dramas too childish and silly and somewhat "unprofessional" - seems to lack "quality" in their acting, production etc. I find some of the special effects used in a lot of J-dramas/live actions are cheezy and immature. Works for anime, but not for J-dramas I find.

I have not watched any C-dramas or T-dramas so I cannot comment.

I do watch the odd K-drama here and there, but I feel like the quality has been going down. Not too sure about J-drama, but I just don't like thier style personally. Hence, in the end I'm leaning towards K-dramas.

These days though, I tend to watch anime and read manga (and recently light novels) more than I do watch dramas. Particularily for anime, although the vast majority as generic feed material for "otakus", there are some really ones that stand out. I'm guessing this is the same case for K-dramas and J-dramas (and C-dramas, T-dramas) so please hit me with good titles :).

User avatar
pn0yb0i
Posts: 272
Joined: May 27th, '07, 15:55
Location: USA, Southern California, Los Angeles

Post by pn0yb0i » Sep 14th, '09, 14:44

Kdrama and Jdramas are on par to one another. Both are almost about the same quality, but Japanese use better equipment and crew (kdramas tend to clip audio alot) :lol K>J in aspect of content length, but Jdramas usually hold more unique content, however the lack of good actors / actresses is a negative (seriously...). However in general I find Korean girls to be hotter (or cuter) than some of the j~girls in my lifetime. :lol

hellotracy
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 15th, '09, 03:54

Post by hellotracy » Sep 15th, '09, 03:57

like C Dramas ... there r varieties of dramas .... pretty cool




________________________________


24 and Hustle Charmed r my shows

moggles
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 15th, '09, 15:34

Post by moggles » Sep 15th, '09, 15:57

K-dramas = they never end. Stop dragging and start writing! nuff' said.

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2891
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Sep 15th, '09, 16:07

Jdramas, Jdramas, Jdramas. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
nothing can beat Jdramas. :salut:

User avatar
dattebayoXD
Posts: 45
Joined: Nov 10th, '08, 13:58
Location: Lithuania

Post by dattebayoXD » Sep 24th, '09, 07:07

Japanese. 'cause they're very fun :lol I mean, I love Korean dramas too, but those are harder to find ;/
Oh, but the acotrs ALL are LOVE XDDDD :wub: :wub:

User avatar
lismarie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 25th, '09, 02:20
Location: Haverhill, Massachusetts

Post by lismarie » Sep 25th, '09, 16:42

I prefer Japanese drama for just one reason: length. Honestly, I rarely ever have the patience for the length of the majority of Korean drama.

I haven't watched enough Chinese drama to really form an opinion of them.

mujid
Posts: 1
Joined: Aug 12th, '09, 17:21
Location: bandung

Post by mujid » Sep 25th, '09, 17:11

i prefer Japanese coz the story is really touch and the episode is not too long. if Korean the episode is always very long, and sometimes made me lazy to take it.
and for Chinese, i never watch it. so no comment.. 8)

User avatar
shioki
Posts: 102
Joined: Oct 21st, '09, 17:38

Post by shioki » Oct 26th, '09, 17:22

definitely jdramas coz they are interesting and short. makes it easy to watch. theres more variety in their story too. One of my favorite is Haken no Hinkaku with its humorous serious lead and nodame.

cdramas (exluding tw dramas) are not bad too. I used to watch many of them few years back til jdrama took over :D

as for kdrama, i've never watched many of them(just full house and more recently coffee prince), but i notice the female lead always cry for no reason in every ep(like getting scolded by the guy at work, etc) in the few that i had watched, like in coffee prince + the constant breaking up and making up by kissing again in every ep really irritates me.

User avatar
hyall
Posts: 9
Joined: Nov 19th, '09, 08:45
Location: Italy

Post by hyall » Nov 19th, '09, 09:37

Korean Dramas are a bit too sad for me and they have too much amnesia or death and other storyline like separation and very sad endings. Very dramatic too much for me.

I like Chinese ones because they kiss way better and are generally more demonstrative and affectionate .I think it is a cultural thing Korean and Japanese more reserved . Japanese for drama length (nice 11 episode arc) and good stories because they have great manga so they can do good dramas based on that.

User avatar
fjnoheart
Posts: 82
Joined: Jan 27th, '09, 03:16
Contact:

Post by fjnoheart » Nov 19th, '09, 11:10

i prefer jdramas :cheers: :D

why? because storylines are straight to the point no fillers...and their doramas has more varieties like family, school, love, comedy, sports, etc. name it though sometimes you crave for more coz its too short :lol
but i must say that kdrama is good as well but if i'm going to compare...,Jdorama weights better..
sorry but i dont like Cdrama mostly the taiwanese they seem so copycat and repetitive(love comedy) and sometimes they over react...but what i love about Cdrama are the fighting chinese style like in CONDOR HEROES :thumright: like it sooo much hehe....

Ayulyn
Posts: 130
Joined: Jan 9th, '06, 07:00
Location: Alaska

Post by Ayulyn » Nov 19th, '09, 20:53

I love Kdramas the most. I started off on Japanese dramas and then Taiwanese but Korean dramas have stuck with me. Japanese dramas always come off as too "cheesy" to me and Taiwanese dramas are waaaay to cutesy. (Not to bash them or anything, because I love both!)
But Korean dramas are the right amount of cheesy and cute and don't go overboard. I prefer Kdrama because of the stories. It's always funny to see a girl hit her boyfriend in Kdramas. :P

User avatar
MisS Lonliah
Posts: 1281
Joined: Apr 4th, '08, 15:28
Location: Dubai ~ United Arab Emirates

Post by MisS Lonliah » Nov 19th, '09, 21:44

I prefer J-drama...
1. The amount of wisdom is high and the amount of trash is low comparing to the k-drama...
2. I watch k-dramas but with annoying questions like: this scene wasn't needed at all OR she's overacting with her gloominess...
3. I also believe that k-dramas have some kind of charisma that attracts your emotions completely, on the other hand the J-drama deals with your mind or even sometimes your life! in other words, J-drama has stronger and longer affect on us...
4. Lastly, the length of the J-drama itself is a message that announces something like "we are straight to the point!"

User avatar
Lord Allmighty
Posts: 15
Joined: Jul 31st, '08, 13:24

JDRAMA IS THE BEST

Post by Lord Allmighty » Mar 10th, '10, 13:17

As many in this forum I won't say why I think Japanese drama is the best cus it's obvious compared with the other dramas especially korean which really sucks dough.
Here's a list of clichés in korean drama that someone bothered to put in a list.
I had fun so thought I'd share the pleasure. Japanese drama doesn't fall for this type of clichés, and so this is why I don't like korean drama (other drama is even more boring so I wouldn't bother to comment on it) :

50 THINGS YOU CAN SEE REPEAT IN K-DRAMAS

1. Men who are hawt and rich fall in love with vulgar, outspoken women.
2. If you are a girl and have a best guy friend, he’s definitely in love with you.
3. Brothers/best friends/schoolmates/enemies always love the same girl.
4. You’re allowed to make U-turns anywhere in Korea. And there’s never traffic (or a single vehicle) on the side you want to turn to.
5. You get to run out of a restaurant without paying the bill. All you have to do is slap someone and storm out in tears.
6. Everyone has cancer.
7. You’ll get a flu/cold/fever after getting caught in the rain for 5 minutes.
8. When you’re sick, your boyfriend carries you on his back and races to the hospital. He hasn’t even heard of taxi/buses/hitching a ride.
9. Somebody gets into the pool/ocean with their clothes on.
10. If you’re rich, you’re an ****.
11. If you’re poor, you’re an angel.
12. Your brother is a retard. If said brother is a real (blood-related) one, he is a lazy, stupid, irresponsible bum who exists by leeching off you. He’s not even handsome.
13. You’re not studying hard enough unless you get a nosebleed.
14. If you have a nosebleed, it’s most definitely cancer. And you have no money to pay for the surgery that’ll save your life. And your liver is missing. The doctors are not sure where it went, but it’s making your cancer progress faster.
15. You always order orange juice or coffee at a cafe. And you never drink it. EVER.
16. If two people are talking confidentally, they will leave the door of the room ajar so that a third party will eavesdrop on the conversation.
17. You go to America and you come back miraculously successful. You go to England and you come back amazingly fashionable. You stay in Korea and the only thing that’s changed is your hairstyle.
18. And you come back to Korea because you have cancer.
19. Everyone goes to the same hospital no matter where they are.
20. Even if you’re poor and can’t eat, you never wear the same clothes twice.
21. If you play a poor kid, you always have dirt on your face and your hair is always messy.
22. If you’re saving someone from being hit by a speeding car, you’ll push them out of the way and wait for the car to hit you instead.
23. Everyone has a long lost sister/brother/twin.
24. If you don’t want to answer your lover’s call, you can’t turn it off. You’ve got to take out the battery.
25. All Korean men can drink hard, smoke long, sing well and play the piano. Usually all at the same time, at the same restaurant that has a piano. The girlfriend doesn’t know this until she sees him playing the piano at night.
26. If you’re in a relationship, you must, at one point, leave the country and have your lover tearfully come RIGHT before you board the plane (vice versa applies as well. You can be the chaser.) 60% of the time you meet each other, and 40% you’re roaming around in circles in pass each other about 6 times. But you don’t see each other.
27. If you’re getting off a plane, you’re always wearing sunglasses.
28. All guys wear hideous tracksuits zipped up to their neck. Even if they’re only doing jump-roping.
29. Girls will always storm off because they’re mad. The guy will stoically grab them by them arm and swing them back – by magic, not dislocate their shoulders.
30. If you hit your head in a traffic accident, you might lose your memory. But don’t worry, you will get it back when you hit your head a second time.
31. Surprises ALWAYS backfire.
32. There will be situations in an elevator and in a toilet. In the elevator, you gotta get stuck with the bastard you’re trying to avoid. In the toilet scene, there’s a high probability you get caught by that bastard you’re trying to avoid.
33. Or most likely because you’re in the men’s toilet.
34. Unless you’re fabulously rich, your in-laws will always hate you.
35. So will your sister-in-law.
36. Your brother-in-law might have a crush on you.
37. There are only 2 ways to kiss. You either press your lips against theirs with your mouth completely shut in a long and comfortable kiss, OR you devour the other person and suck their soul out. In both instances, the world spins.
38. If a car ever breaks down or runs out of gas, it will happen on a small rural road with no other traffic, late at night. The area will also have no cellphone coverage, and you gotta walk the whole 10 miles back to civilisation in your 5-inch heels.
39. If you want 2 rooms in a hotel, only one will be available, and that one room will only have one bed.
40. You’ll get pregnant the first time you have sex.
41. You’ll get pregnant if he kisses you on the forehead.
42. Hell – you’ll get pregnant if you hold hands.
43. If you overcome great obstacles to be together, one of you must die. Probably due to cancer.
44. A guy and a girl on a bus must sit in the rear next to the right-hand window. A lone girl/guy sitting at that spot will reminisce about the time when he/she did have someone sitting beside him/her.
45. One man can kick the butts of 6 gangsters, especially when they all stand in a circle and attack the guy 1 by 1. When each of them get their butts PWNED, they wise up and attack the guy at the same time. Then the guy will get pulverized and bleed out onto the dusty concrete floor of the empty warehouse they found to fight in. And the girl will have watched this the entire time, screaming in horror. Instead of calling 119, she’ll just watch and cry. But it’s okay. Because the next day the guy will be fine with a few random bandages and a few scars on the face. But never a black eye.
46. Good girls don’t drive cars. Bad girls do. Well, a good girl just might drive, but she will do it so badly it’s a wonder she was ever given a license.
47. Rich people live in mansions surrounded by brick walls. The others live in shacks atop high buildings in downtown Seoul, or in hillside slums on the outskirts of the city.
48. Korean schools and universities suck. To study anything serious, you must go abroad.
49. If you study in the States (preferably Harvard), you are one of the top students and you can speak perfect English (as assumed by the reactions of those around you). Why the rest of the world OUTSIDE the TV can’t understand a single word uttered in your melodramatic voice is beyond me.
50. For one reason or another, a guy comes out of the bathroom naked/chest bared. Utterly shocked, you cover your eyes while screaming and pointing at him, while the guy screams along and covers his… nipples?

kirtil
Posts: 168
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 06:26
Location: Turkey
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Mar 10th, '10, 14:18

Those were some fun points Lord Allmighty, even with my limited kdrama selection I can remember seeing some. Of course I can remember seeing some in jdramas also..

My first kdramas were full house and bad family. Unfortunately when I liked what I what I saw and decided to watch some more, (probably my bad luck) the ones I watched had the points Lord Allmighty listed with major melodrama. I could have kept on going but my bane turned put to be the "If you fall in love with some random person, chances are very high that this person will be your long lost / forgotten / unknown brother/sister/another close relation. Do not worry, if you are serious then there is probably a mistake and you won't be related after all" rule.

At least it seemed like a rule for the next 2 kdramas I watched and now I pretty much stick to jdramas.

rrmski
Posts: 7
Joined: Dec 5th, '08, 06:50

I would have to choose Korean Dramas

Post by rrmski » Mar 10th, '10, 14:42

I would have to choose Korean Dramas though I like Taiwanese Dramas too.

The reason I chose Korean is because I think that the Korean Dramas have deeper meanings, lessons to life, and they portrait in a simple way everything I love about the Korean culture. They definitely have quality: in the OSTS, acting, fliming and the storyline.
Last edited by rrmski on Mar 10th, '10, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Mar 10th, '10, 14:49

Japanese... Love the people, history, and the culture. :thumright:

And I'm Chinese. :P

User avatar
indo_no_tenshi
Posts: 268
Joined: Aug 15th, '09, 05:01
Location: Hanamachi

Post by indo_no_tenshi » Mar 10th, '10, 15:46

Definitely Jdorama!! Some people likes Jdorama because they understand or learn the language..for me, it's the other way around...I started to learn Japanese because -
for all the reasons stated before - i fell in love with Jdorama (and manga.. and anime)..

I do watch Kdrama and like some of them..demo.. yappari, Jdorama ga ichiban daisukii!!: :heart: :heart: :heart:

JaJe
Posts: 249
Joined: Aug 7th, '09, 20:35
Location: on the silver cloud of dreams ^o^

Post by JaJe » Mar 10th, '10, 18:12

Jdoramas definitely.

I guess Kdrama´s are too melodramatic to me. They always remind me Mexican soaps that my TV channels have always showed. Kdrama has all the same cliches that Mexican soaps have. That´s why it´s hard for me to watch Kdrama.

Also as I love Japan in general, then it´s more useful to hear Japanese by watching jdoramas etc.

To be honest I have never seen any Chinese one so I can´t comment on them.

User avatar
_cncll
Posts: 6
Joined: Dec 3rd, '09, 12:29
Location: Poland
Contact:

Post by _cncll » Mar 10th, '10, 19:14

I've watched mainly jdramas, but I prefer Cdramas. Although, I've watched just one. I think they are more... normal. I hate those funny-must ridiculous scenes. They piss me off. There are many of them in jdramas.

akamaya
Posts: 58
Joined: Nov 29th, '08, 00:47

Post by akamaya » Mar 10th, '10, 20:41

I watch only jdramas, because I can't live without hearing spoken japanese at least once a day :music: . I have tried to watch kdramas but I can't go past 15 minutes or so, cause I don't like the language and the 'tragic' athmosphere... I love most of the jdramas and almost all japanese culture and so I study japanese language, which is a pure pleasure for me :heart:.

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Re: JDRAMA IS THE BEST

Post by kuro570 » Mar 10th, '10, 20:57

Lord Allmighty wrote:As many in this forum I won't say why I think Japanese drama is the best cus it's obvious compared with the other dramas especially korean which really sucks dough.
Here's a list of clichés in korean drama that someone bothered to put in a list.
I had fun so thought I'd share the pleasure. Japanese drama doesn't fall for this type of clichés, and so this is why I don't like korean drama (other drama is even more boring so I wouldn't bother to comment on it) :

50 THINGS YOU CAN SEE REPEAT IN K-DRAMAS

1. Men who are hawt and rich fall in love with vulgar, outspoken women.
2. If you are a girl and have a best guy friend, he’s definitely in love with you.
3. Brothers/best friends/schoolmates/enemies always love the same girl.
4. You’re allowed to make U-turns anywhere in Korea. And there’s never traffic (or a single vehicle) on the side you want to turn to.
5. You get to run out of a restaurant without paying the bill. All you have to do is slap someone and storm out in tears.
6. Everyone has cancer.
7. You’ll get a flu/cold/fever after getting caught in the rain for 5 minutes.
8. When you’re sick, your boyfriend carries you on his back and races to the hospital. He hasn’t even heard of taxi/buses/hitching a ride.
9. Somebody gets into the pool/ocean with their clothes on.
10. If you’re rich, you’re an ****.
11. If you’re poor, you’re an angel.
12. Your brother is a retard. If said brother is a real (blood-related) one, he is a lazy, stupid, irresponsible bum who exists by leeching off you. He’s not even handsome.
13. You’re not studying hard enough unless you get a nosebleed.
14. If you have a nosebleed, it’s most definitely cancer. And you have no money to pay for the surgery that’ll save your life. And your liver is missing. The doctors are not sure where it went, but it’s making your cancer progress faster.
15. You always order orange juice or coffee at a cafe. And you never drink it. EVER.
16. If two people are talking confidentally, they will leave the door of the room ajar so that a third party will eavesdrop on the conversation.
17. You go to America and you come back miraculously successful. You go to England and you come back amazingly fashionable. You stay in Korea and the only thing that’s changed is your hairstyle.
18. And you come back to Korea because you have cancer.
19. Everyone goes to the same hospital no matter where they are.
20. Even if you’re poor and can’t eat, you never wear the same clothes twice.
21. If you play a poor kid, you always have dirt on your face and your hair is always messy.
22. If you’re saving someone from being hit by a speeding car, you’ll push them out of the way and wait for the car to hit you instead.
23. Everyone has a long lost sister/brother/twin.
24. If you don’t want to answer your lover’s call, you can’t turn it off. You’ve got to take out the battery.
25. All Korean men can drink hard, smoke long, sing well and play the piano. Usually all at the same time, at the same restaurant that has a piano. The girlfriend doesn’t know this until she sees him playing the piano at night.
26. If you’re in a relationship, you must, at one point, leave the country and have your lover tearfully come RIGHT before you board the plane (vice versa applies as well. You can be the chaser.) 60% of the time you meet each other, and 40% you’re roaming around in circles in pass each other about 6 times. But you don’t see each other.
27. If you’re getting off a plane, you’re always wearing sunglasses.
28. All guys wear hideous tracksuits zipped up to their neck. Even if they’re only doing jump-roping.
29. Girls will always storm off because they’re mad. The guy will stoically grab them by them arm and swing them back – by magic, not dislocate their shoulders.
30. If you hit your head in a traffic accident, you might lose your memory. But don’t worry, you will get it back when you hit your head a second time.
31. Surprises ALWAYS backfire.
32. There will be situations in an elevator and in a toilet. In the elevator, you gotta get stuck with the bastard you’re trying to avoid. In the toilet scene, there’s a high probability you get caught by that bastard you’re trying to avoid.
33. Or most likely because you’re in the men’s toilet.
34. Unless you’re fabulously rich, your in-laws will always hate you.
35. So will your sister-in-law.
36. Your brother-in-law might have a crush on you.
37. There are only 2 ways to kiss. You either press your lips against theirs with your mouth completely shut in a long and comfortable kiss, OR you devour the other person and suck their soul out. In both instances, the world spins.
38. If a car ever breaks down or runs out of gas, it will happen on a small rural road with no other traffic, late at night. The area will also have no cellphone coverage, and you gotta walk the whole 10 miles back to civilisation in your 5-inch heels.
39. If you want 2 rooms in a hotel, only one will be available, and that one room will only have one bed.
40. You’ll get pregnant the first time you have sex.
41. You’ll get pregnant if he kisses you on the forehead.
42. Hell – you’ll get pregnant if you hold hands.
43. If you overcome great obstacles to be together, one of you must die. Probably due to cancer.
44. A guy and a girl on a bus must sit in the rear next to the right-hand window. A lone girl/guy sitting at that spot will reminisce about the time when he/she did have someone sitting beside him/her.
45. One man can kick the butts of 6 gangsters, especially when they all stand in a circle and attack the guy 1 by 1. When each of them get their butts PWNED, they wise up and attack the guy at the same time. Then the guy will get pulverized and bleed out onto the dusty concrete floor of the empty warehouse they found to fight in. And the girl will have watched this the entire time, screaming in horror. Instead of calling 119, she’ll just watch and cry. But it’s okay. Because the next day the guy will be fine with a few random bandages and a few scars on the face. But never a black eye.
46. Good girls don’t drive cars. Bad girls do. Well, a good girl just might drive, but she will do it so badly it’s a wonder she was ever given a license.
47. Rich people live in mansions surrounded by brick walls. The others live in shacks atop high buildings in downtown Seoul, or in hillside slums on the outskirts of the city.
48. Korean schools and universities suck. To study anything serious, you must go abroad.
49. If you study in the States (preferably Harvard), you are one of the top students and you can speak perfect English (as assumed by the reactions of those around you). Why the rest of the world OUTSIDE the TV can’t understand a single word uttered in your melodramatic voice is beyond me.
50. For one reason or another, a guy comes out of the bathroom naked/chest bared. Utterly shocked, you cover your eyes while screaming and pointing at him, while the guy screams along and covers his… nipples?
LMAO LMAO. Especially at .5, this so made my day since I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed a few of those lol

madmanout
Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 9th, '10, 07:15

Post by madmanout » Mar 11th, '10, 09:40

I find the Korean shows too dramatic and most of the time, they have tragic endings. But I really like their dramas that have a touch of comedy. They make fun of themselves but they still look cute. :P

garnet07
Posts: 535
Joined: May 4th, '04, 04:18
Location: Cali, USA
Contact:

Post by garnet07 » Mar 11th, '10, 11:39

For those who bashes the "other" culture's dramas, you probably have not watched the really good dramas in each culture.

Like I said in my other posts, I cannot choose between Japanese or Korean dramas. Some say Korean dramas have more romance on them, but if you watch some Japanese dramas, the romance there are told better than Korean dramas. Then some say Japanese dramas are so cheesy, but you haven't watched genres that deal more of the serious tone. Japanese dramas have more enlightening message than Korean dramas, but some Korean dramas are just addicting though repetitive in scenes.

Anyways, if anyone wants a recommendation to try out the good things in the "other" culture (who knows you might find it interesting), then PM me.

Beginning recommendations:

Japanese -- 1 Litre of Tears -- Serious side, tearjerker but not for the reason of how Korean dramas does it. You feel sadness because of the main protagonists' circumstances in life and how it affects her family, not because of how others ruins her life in an overdramatic way.

Korean - You're Beautiful -- Recent drama which took cliche Korean antics and turned them into something hella funny. Japanese fans will surely enjoy this because each episode is not driven by angst but pure entertainment. I did not find any scenes dragging the plot with the need of fastforwarding, which I do to most Kdramas nowadays. (seen too many already)

I've only seen a few Chinese dramas compared to J or K. I like historical martial arts for Hong Kong dramas and some romantic comedies for Taiwanese dramas. But I usually get annoyed by the low quality of Taiwanese dramas especially the set and the acting is overdone. I become too choosy.

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Mar 11th, '10, 12:43

Finally a voice of reason in here. Thanks for that post, garnet.

1 Litre of Tears and YAB are both excellent dramas and in my favorite list. 1 Litre has been praised for years, so I won't add to that and instead say that I think YAB has a bit of an 'anime' feel, but does it better than the real dramas based on manga/anime (from either country) because the acting never goes overboard. The last 3 or 4 episodes have a few plot issues, but overall it's a fast-paced rollercoaster ride of fun. Everybody who thinks Korean dramas are all about tears, cancer and incest should give this a try before making broad judgments.

On another front, I also still think that the TW drama Mars is one of the best romance dramas I've seen, despite the low budget of TW dramas in general. It's really dear to my heart even years after watching it. If you think all TW dramas are overacted piles of cheese, give it a try.

It's always important not to generalize. Korean, Japanese and Chinese dramas all have their stereotypes, but they're also all big industries with more variety than you'd think. I think it would be nearly impossible for anyone not to find at least one show they'd like from each country. It's a good thing to keep an open mind -- you only have more quality dramas to watch if you don't have prejudices against new dramas soley based on their country of origin.

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Mar 11th, '10, 12:56

garnet07 I think that Jdrama and Kdrama are both good but I don't like Kdramas much. As you pointed out there are a few gems but not enough to have me keep looking. Not to mention I like my dramas being 1-11 episodes usually, its enough to give me a very good story without being burned out on it. I'm also fairly biased because I've been studying Japanese for a while and my instructor was the one that introduced them to me to practice my comprehension and kinda just stuck with it ever since. I also have a slight interest in the culture where areas of Korea I couldn't really give a rats ass. The language thing is a big point though since the vast majority of dramas I watch usually aren't taken up by fan subbers and even if they were I wouldn't wait for them as in area of Kdramas I would have no choice. Last thing is so many Kdramas that people recommended me its almost like all the main actors/actresses are Al Pachino you know... Great actor but chews the scenery like no tomorrow and many times on a kdrama or even jdrama it grates on my nerves.

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Mar 11th, '10, 13:09

kuro570 wrote:garnet07 I think that Jdrama and Kdrama are both good but I don't like Kdramas much. As you pointed out there are a few gems but not enough to have me keep looking. Not to mention I like my dramas being 1-11 episodes usually, its enough to give me a very good story without being burned out on it. I'm also fairly biased because I've been studying Japanese for a while and my instructor was the one that introduced them to me to practice my comprehension and kinda just stuck with it ever since. I also have a slight interest in the culture where areas of Korea I couldn't really give a rats ass. The language thing is a big point though since the vast majority of dramas I watch usually aren't taken up by fan subbers and even if they were I wouldn't wait for them as in area of Kdramas I would have no choice. Last thing is so many Kdramas that people recommended me its almost like all the main actors/actresses are Al Pachino you know... Great actor but chews the scenery like no tomorrow and many times on a kdrama or even jdrama it grates on my nerves.
No hard feelings. You're free to like what you like, and you don't even need to justify your preferences. If JDramas do it for you, great! :-)

That said, if you ever feel like giving KDramas a chance, I think you may like Soulmate. It's only 12 episodes long, fast-paced like a JDrama, and laugh-out-loud funny. Just a suggestion if you ever feel like it. If not, stick with what you like, nothing wrong with it. (It only gets wrong when you feel justified to try to tell other people what they have to like and what they're not to like, but that's not what you have been doing, unlike... some other people :roll ).

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Mar 11th, '10, 14:08

Actually I would love to see a serious non love kdrama a serious mystery/suspense drama would be great or if its love to have some dark mystery/suspense. I'll be more than glad to check it out ^.^

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sep 30th, '04, 03:08
Location: Germany

Post by WroW » Mar 11th, '10, 14:15

kuro570 wrote:Actually I would love to see a serious non love kdrama a serious mystery/suspense drama would be great or if its love to have some dark mystery/suspense. I'll be more than glad to check it out ^.^
Watch The Devil ...should fit your description.

garnet07
Posts: 535
Joined: May 4th, '04, 04:18
Location: Cali, USA
Contact:

Post by garnet07 » Mar 11th, '10, 21:23

kuro570 wrote:Actually I would love to see a serious non love kdrama a serious mystery/suspense drama would be great or if its love to have some dark mystery/suspense. I'll be more than glad to check it out ^.^
So far the best mystery suspense Korean drama I've seen are:

1. Story of a Man -- Give the first 3 episodes a try. May seem dramatic at first but when you get to the main plot which involves 5 people trying to take revenge on an psychopathic cold-hearted man because he cannot feel emotions, then you're in for an action pack awesome storyline. The genre is mystery / suspense / comedy / Ocean's 11 style.

2. Revenge / Rebirth -- Involves a cop who lost all of his childhood memories finds his long lost twin brother who gets killed instead of him so he takes revenge by pretending to be his brother without them knowing that the one they wanted to kill is right in front of them. I know it's a run-on sentence but it does grab your interest right? May have some romance which you can easily fast-forward without taking away the understanding of the main plot.

If that's not enough you can visit http://goldlilys.110mb.com/drama_col.html for more recommendations in the Korean Action / Mystery genre.
Last edited by garnet07 on Mar 11th, '10, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7226
Joined: Jun 28th, '09, 18:16
Contact:

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 11th, '10, 21:32

The Devil also is a mystery with little if no romance.

Ups, I haven't seen the posts above, my fault^^ :whistling:

HongKongChick
Posts: 227
Joined: Mar 17th, '10, 20:12
Location: Hong Kong

Re: JDRAMA IS THE BEST

Post by HongKongChick » Mar 17th, '10, 20:56

Lord Allmighty wrote:
50 THINGS YOU CAN SEE REPEAT IN K-DRAMAS

1. Men who are hawt and rich fall in love with vulgar, outspoken women.
2. If you are a girl and have a best guy friend, he’s definitely in love with you.
3. Brothers/best friends/schoolmates/enemies always love the same girl.

content omitted. :P

50. For one reason or another, a guy comes out of the bathroom naked/chest bared. Utterly shocked, you cover your eyes while screaming and pointing at him, while the guy screams along and covers his… nipples?


WHAHAHAH nice list. this list kinda goes with Taiwanese dramas too.. :-)

User avatar
Tifa_L
Posts: 11
Joined: Jan 22nd, '07, 19:05
Location: Sweden

Post by Tifa_L » Mar 17th, '10, 21:04

Japanese!!!

User avatar
ik0n
Posts: 116
Joined: Dec 4th, '08, 06:05

Post by ik0n » Mar 18th, '10, 04:02

I'm just so into Japanese drama but I heard there's some good KDramas also but I just can't seem to like em as much as I like Japanese... maybe because I didn't start watching it with a good one. I should check around for a good one to start with and might end up liking it. Who knows.. :O

ToroHime
Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 23rd, '10, 06:17
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Post by ToroHime » Mar 27th, '10, 08:51

J-Drama~!!!! <3 Love the mix of comedy, romance, and sometimes sad episodes.
Korean Drama's are too sad and heartbreaking for me T-T I feel so depressed after finishing a series. But, when in the mood for that sort of thing, nothing can beat K-Drama!
Never watched a Chinese Drama before so yeah... (^.^)

cemon88
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 27th, '10, 09:49
Location: germany

Post by cemon88 » Mar 27th, '10, 09:54

I like korean dramas better than the others. Because they're more interesting and the episodes are not 'thatttt' long like chinese/tw dramas. The female actress are prettier than the japanese actress.

Oh Crap!!
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 7th, '10, 03:25

Post by Oh Crap!! » Apr 7th, '10, 03:29

i prefer tw and korean drama, i find them more interesting than the chinese drama.

carloo
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 8th, '10, 11:00
Contact:

Post by carloo » Apr 8th, '10, 11:22

I love Japanese movies.That's why i love Japanese Drama.

User avatar
isbes83
Posts: 150
Joined: Feb 20th, '05, 09:50
Location: United kingdom

Post by isbes83 » Apr 8th, '10, 11:32

at the moment korean! depends on the storyline, the actor, but at the moment korean cause I am hooken on to PERSONAL TASTE, OH MY LADY( cause i love chae rim), and CINDERELLA UNNI. I just finish STARS FALLING FROM THE SKY. I used to loathe kdrama and only followed jdrama, but after a while I am growing to like kdrama. the stroy is predictable but i still llike it. Dunno why, maybe cause I'm just a girl

User avatar
phio_chan
Posts: 19
Joined: May 3rd, '10, 08:31
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Post by phio_chan » May 3rd, '10, 11:06

I don't watch many Korean or Chinese dramas, so I can't say much about them. that's why I chose Japanese dramas. funny, nice plot, good cast.

but I guess it depends on the staff or crew of each drama, and the scenario itself.

User avatar
SouthsideIrish
Posts: 270
Joined: Jan 3rd, '06, 13:05
Location: Chicago

Post by SouthsideIrish » May 3rd, '10, 11:38

isbes83 wrote:at the moment korean! depends on the storyline, the actor, but at the moment korean cause I am hooken on to PERSONAL TASTE, OH MY LADY( cause i love chae rim), and CINDERELLA UNNI. I just finish STARS FALLING FROM THE SKY. I used to loathe kdrama and only followed jdrama, but after a while I am growing to like kdrama. the stroy is predictable but i still llike it. Dunno why, maybe cause I'm just a girl
Same for me too. Just so many good Korean drama's this season. Hooked on the three you mentioned but the one that really has me is Dong Yi. I really love Han Hyo Joo in this.

chz
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 31st, '10, 16:43
Location: London

Post by chz » May 4th, '10, 15:04

dunno it quite hard to choose but i prefer korean drama mostly

User avatar
isbes83
Posts: 150
Joined: Feb 20th, '05, 09:50
Location: United kingdom

Post by isbes83 » May 4th, '10, 15:53

I will say it's not about where the drama is from, but depends on storyline+actor/actress. I used to watch only japanese drama, but now as I am more older and wiser, i looked at different aspect. but so far i would say japanese drama and movie is the best.

bchman
Posts: 8
Joined: Sep 23rd, '09, 20:02

Post by bchman » May 12th, '10, 20:30

I like japanese dramas.
I'm not sure why... Why do you like chocolat more than cream? :)

juliennepeters
Posts: 4
Joined: May 14th, '10, 02:16

Post by juliennepeters » May 14th, '10, 02:48

I like both of them. It's hard to pick 'coz it depends on the type of movies/series. Sometimes I prefer Korean over Japanese, sometimes the other way around. I think both of them have different characteristics. :D

User avatar
Lady_mana
Posts: 2
Joined: Jun 1st, '10, 01:34

Post by Lady_mana » Jun 1st, '10, 01:53

korean cuzz they have more romantic scenes (well... to me)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests