Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

D-addicts' Oscar Awards?!?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Dodbos

D-addicts' Oscar Awards?!?

Post by Dodbos » Jan 18th, '06, 01:10

So I watched a little bit of the Golden Globes yesterday and I was thinking wouldn't it be cool if we voted for the best drama, actor, actress, and all that other mumbo jumbo. We could separate them by the countries and we could get MTVish and vote for best onscreen couple and stuff like that if people wanted. We could set up the polls and go crazy. wouldn't that be grand?

impression151

Post by impression151 » Jan 18th, '06, 01:13

No. The poll at D-addicts was tame...where we could only vote for dramas. But you should check out the poll started at Jdorama. It was horrible. A flooding of Johnnie boy's otakus giving their praise and a battle between non johnnie boys fans and johnnie boys fans.

But the finalists are still being tallied...and the thread had to be locked. I don't think D-addicts is prepared to host another one of these messes.

Schala

Post by Schala » Jan 18th, '06, 01:18

I think maybe a mod or admin (if they have the time) should pick NOMINEES. I mean, you have to be nominated for an Oscar first, before you actually vote who would win. So I think someone should pick a few nominees, and then we vote for one of the nominees. Nominees could maybe be chosen by past dramas of the week? Pick a few of the dramas that won recently. Then everyone else can vote for who and what drama should win the Oscar. No need to explain WHY and go off on a tangent about it, just vote. And anyone who complains about someone else's vote would immediately close the thread and voting. Or the votes could be PMed to someone to avoid that whole scenario completely.

That's just my idea of how it COULD work anyway. ^^0

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 18th, '06, 01:29

This really does not appeal to me. Not at all. I think of this as a community... that's what I like about it. Passing judgement, even good-natured passing of judgement, tends to leave people hurt. Others may disagree, I won't argue about it... just saying what I think up front.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 18th, '06, 01:34

pokute wrote:This really does not appeal to me. Not at all. I think of this as a community... that's what I like about it. Passing judgement, even good-natured passing of judgement, tends to leave people hurt. Others may disagree, I won't argue about it... just saying what I think up front.
Totally agree with pokute!

tUrtleAE86

Post by tUrtleAE86 » Jan 27th, '06, 08:16

groink wrote:
pokute wrote:This really does not appeal to me. Not at all. I think of this as a community... that's what I like about it. Passing judgement, even good-natured passing of judgement, tends to leave people hurt. Others may disagree, I won't argue about it... just saying what I think up front.
Totally agree with pokute!
I agree with groink, who agrees with pokute. :lol

At any rate, I think it's much more meaningful to have properly reinforced opinions, instead of judgement based on a number of votes, which is subject to ridiculous amounts of bias.

I'm not saying that opinions can't be biased either, but it's a whole different ball of wax. Reading what people have to say about their favorite drama or actor/actress has much more value than seeing who had the most votes. And, after getting a general idea of the opinions that are out there, combined with your own opinion, I'm sure you can determine who deserves that award in your mind.

I think the overall value of that is much greater.

Schala

Post by Schala » Jan 27th, '06, 11:30

Well...it's not like it should be taken SERIOUSLY. It would be just for fun. But, whatever...

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 27th, '06, 16:27

The Oscars are held because they make huge amounts of money for the movie industry. They are basically rewards for good sales. There are a few prizes that are sops for the losers that make documentaries, or so-called "foreign" films... I knew a guy who won an Oscar, he was a Brazilian filmmaker and he got an Oscar... and he was working for $7/hour serving frozen yogurt because money did not come streaming out of that little gold guys ass. If he never won that award he would have stayed in Brazil and been able to continue making films and living a simple life. As it is he is probably pushing a shopping cart around downtown L.A., or long dead from lack of access to health care.

I don't want to be pushing a shopping cart... or pedalling frozen yogurt. Keep your Oscar.

[If you can't identify this post as a bald attempt at trolling... well, anything I have to say about it would be gratuitous.]

@turtle - what the hell is that in your sig?! I want that show!!