Food

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
slashdevdsp

Food

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 23rd, '05, 14:30

Food..............

Arr... I am already in love with the Japanese and Korean dramas, now I wanna try the foooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood too mate :)

Hopefully I can find recipies that can be made easily n not forgetting using common ingredients or atleast ones that I can find in supermarkets or soso asian stores :)

Where can i get decent recipies for japanese and korean food written (translated) in english.

you guys sure have some good recommendations ? no ?

Ha now i can see food-addicts.com :p
I want to make this thread a 1-stop for all the food lovers :)

So pour in your suggestions for:
- soup
- breakfast
- lunch
- dinner
- rich/heavy food
- snack/light munch
- And what ever other you think helps cool your mind :)

arigatou
Last edited by slashdevdsp on Oct 23rd, '05, 14:44, edited 2 times in total.

Gir

Post by Gir » Oct 23rd, '05, 14:34

http://japanesefood.about.com/

I get some recipes from here, also there is info on ingredients and such.

For easy recipes, I like tonkatsu and the "don" (rice bowl) dishes.
Last edited by Gir on Oct 23rd, '05, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Oct 23rd, '05, 14:35

Sushi is easy to prepare.. You don't really need a recipe for that... You can put anything in or on it...

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 23rd, '05, 14:53

n Prolly post the recipe here :)

and to add the names/recipe of your favourite foooooooood :)

So we can have a collection of strange and good food the d-addicts eat :) dont tell me coke lor :p

sayonara

trec
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by trec » Oct 23rd, '05, 16:14

Does a recipe from an anime count as japanese food? It's for making bread in a rice cooker. (aka japan #2) :P ... And its actually nice too. (The anime is Yakitate Japan).

I made this a few nights ago.

This recipe is taken directly off the anime... Well sort of.. :P

Japan ni-gou no tsukurikata

The whole process will take about.... 5 Hours!

Things needed
- Rice cooker !!!
- Kitchen Scale
- Measuring Cylinder

Ingredients
- 350g Bread Flour (I used Plain flour... is there a difference? o_O)
- 21g Butter
- 21g Sugar
- 35ml Milk
- 180ml Water
- 5g Dry Yeast
- 6.5g Salt

Procedure
- Take the metal bowl (inside) of the rice cooker out.
- Put the flour, sugar, salt, dry yeast (dissolved in water), water, milk into the bowl of the rice cooker.
- Kneed the dough for a while, then add the butter (in the bowl)
- Then kneed some more until that it is not longer sticky, then shape it into a round ball.
- Place it in the middle of the rice cooker bowl and allow it to sit somewhere warm for 60mins (1st Fermentation) --- Place a towel on top so nothing gets in there :P
- After the 60mins, you have to degas the dough, that means. -- Drop the dough from a distance of 50cm into the bowl.. and that should be about enough.
- TIME TO BAKE IT!.
- Place the bowl of the rice cooker back in the rice cooker.. and put the dough in there too ofcourse... and let it cook for 60mins
- After that, flip the dough and cook it for another 60mins
- THEN, flip it again... and cool it again for another 60mins

AND.... You should get some pretty funky results :]

Note: All rice cookers are different.. and they all have different cooking cycles... meaning that they'll 'cook'... then 'keep warm' at different times and stuff.. So keep a watch on it when you can, and turn rice cooker back to 'cook' if it's on the 'keep warm' status.

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Oct 23rd, '05, 16:59

5 hours? that stuff must be very delicious. :)

Edit: is it just me or it looks a little burnt? :scratch:
Last edited by bugsie on Oct 23rd, '05, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

lasusal

Post by lasusal » Oct 23rd, '05, 17:04

wow i can never follow a recipe, the only thing i know how to make is chinese food ans sushi rolls

for japanese and korean food i'll just go out to eat

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Oct 23rd, '05, 20:00

bugsie wrote:5 hours? that stuff must be very delicious. :)

Edit: is it just me or it looks a little burnt? :scratch:
haha, it's just very well cooked. :lol

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Oct 23rd, '05, 20:02

uhh.. i make curry all the time. it's my favorite! i don't really have a recipe since it's so simple.

chop up a bunch of vegetables you like, some tofu (if you like it), stir-fry em' and then set aside. i use (red) curry, but at stores you can buy 'curry paste' (about 1TB-1 1/2TB) which is easier to use. put it in a pan and then add coconut milk to taste. (some people add tomato paste or juice.. haha, but i don't). then add some spices. I usually use ginger, white pepper, and cayenne pepper ( i like things really spicy), and cook until boiling. put the veggies and tofu in the curry and then pour over rice! yum!

p.s. not a bad thread idea. i love food!!

fuddleduddle

Post by fuddleduddle » Oct 23rd, '05, 20:47

some authentic japanese recipes translated to english.

http://www.bob-an.com/recipe/English/index_e.html

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 24th, '05, 01:20

trec wrote:Does a recipe from an anime count as japanese food? It's for making bread in a rice cooker. (aka japan #2) :P ... And its actually nice too. (The anime is Yakitate Japan).

I made this a few nights ago.

This recipe is taken directly off the anime... Well sort of.. :P

Japan ni-gou no tsukurikata

The whole process will take about.... 5 Hours!

Things needed
- Rice cooker !!!
- Kitchen Scale
- Measuring Cylinder

Ingredients
- 350g Bread Flour (I used Plain flour... is there a difference? o_O)
- 21g Butter
- 21g Sugar
- 35ml Milk
- 180ml Water
- 5g Dry Yeast
- 6.5g Salt

Procedure
- Take the metal bowl (inside) of the rice cooker out.
- Put the flour, sugar, salt, dry yeast (dissolved in water), water, milk into the bowl of the rice cooker.
- Kneed the dough for a while, then add the butter (in the bowl)
- Then kneed some more until that it is not longer sticky, then shape it into a round ball.
- Place it in the middle of the rice cooker bowl and allow it to sit somewhere warm for 60mins (1st Fermentation) --- Place a towel on top so nothing gets in there :P
- After the 60mins, you have to degas the dough, that means. -- Drop the dough from a distance of 50cm into the bowl.. and that should be about enough.
- TIME TO BAKE IT!.
- Place the bowl of the rice cooker back in the rice cooker.. and put the dough in there too ofcourse... and let it cook for 60mins
- After that, flip the dough and cook it for another 60mins
- THEN, flip it again... and cool it again for another 60mins

AND.... You should get some pretty funky results :]

Note: All rice cookers are different.. and they all have different cooking cycles... meaning that they'll 'cook'... then 'keep warm' at different times and stuff.. So keep a watch on it when you can, and turn rice cooker back to 'cook' if it's on the 'keep warm' status.
Woah I never thought some one is actually gonna try out something from Yakitate japan :) this is soo funny. I watch the anime, pretty good/funny. The japan#2 looks nice especially done with rice cooker, hmmm thinkin of trying out myself too since you have written the instructions.. hmm too bad I done have rice cooker damn.. need to find stuff to do with the microwave/oven :)

uuhoo ..... this is getting somewhere to eating good food hehe

ohh btw "trec" did u get all the good reactions after eating Japan #2 ? lol like in the anime :p

haha

Schala

Post by Schala » Oct 24th, '05, 10:56

Miso soup is tasty and pretty easy to make. And there's really no one way to make it. ^^

I've always wanted to make my own tempura, but I haven't tried yet. So I dunno if it's easy to make or not. ^^0

Takoyaki is good too, if you like octopus. XP I'd like to make that some day too. :3

trec
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by trec » Oct 24th, '05, 13:03

lol ! yeah it was "fluffy fluffy"... but no.. there were no drastic reations like Kuroyanagi would have made :P

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Oct 24th, '05, 13:42

My Breakfast for champions =D
hehehe

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Oct 24th, '05, 14:06

Spike23 wrote:My Breakfast for champions =D
hehehe

that is one delicious breakfast. looking at it makes me hungry. the bad thing is, i will have to survive the night eating bananas. :sweat:

diOdio

Post by diOdio » Oct 24th, '05, 18:27

im halfway through long vacation and damn that series got me craving ramen! anyone know of a good ramen spot in sf?

mt877

Post by mt877 » Oct 26th, '05, 23:07

diOdio,

If you like eating ramen, then check out this thread:

What's your favorite Instant Ramen noodle flavor?

You can also visit The Official Ramen Homepage to pick up some recipes.

draco

Post by draco » Oct 28th, '05, 10:23

diOdio wrote:im halfway through long vacation and damn that series got me craving ramen! anyone know of a good ramen spot in sf?
@ Bay Area they have a famous ramen store, it's located in a japanese supermarket called "Mitsuwa" . I forgot the street's name tho!!!! :P

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Oct 28th, '05, 10:40

Wow i think i'm gonna try to make that bread in the rice cooker, it looks pretty good to me and simple enough(it just takes a long time before you can eat it hehe)...

Mattman

Post by Mattman » Oct 28th, '05, 11:39

Lol, someone actually made that Japan :D.
Btw. the recipe for tempura is fairly easy, I can give it to you if you want to.
Ow, and sushi is nice as well, just quite some work (somehow whenever I try to make it, i'm always in the kitchen for several hours). I really liked some maki with surimi and mayonaise on the inside and ikura on top. That was great!

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Oct 28th, '05, 11:42

Can you put the recipe for tempura here?

Btw, I once put some caviar(I forgot what kind of caviar, but it was black) mixed with mayonaise on top of sushi, it was pretty good hehe...

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 28th, '05, 12:18

What is your regular food ? I mean what do u usually take ?

breakfast ?
Well its usually apple or orange juice with bread and spread here most of the time + coffee (regular one with milk)

lunch ?
green apple + instant noodles + coffee

dinner ?

usually its rice with peas, chicken pan fried and some salad n some curry with tofu and vegies

Ohh n did I say that, all of those was on a really GOOD DAY :(

Unfortunately I don't get the inspiration to go to kitchen and prepare delicious food :(

where do u guys/gals get inspiration for cooking food ? If its just cooking for your self ?

I know its weird but thats for now :p

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 28th, '05, 12:40

Damn soo frustrating Just cooking food and eating by yourself .... arrr
I need a SOLUTION to this problem arrr....

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Oct 28th, '05, 12:54

This is my eating schedule hehe...

Breakfast
A bun filled with some brie and salad or some fried meat(yeah in the morning) like chicken or pork and bean sauce *yummie...
But sometimes I want to eat some healthy stuff, like cereals with milk...
I always drink a mug of tea with breakfast...

Lunch
A mug of tea or a bottle of mineral water...
And a baguette with some salad or stir fried rice or something like that...

Dinner
Rice with some Chinese veggies, some stir fried or steamed fish or stir fried chicken or pork...

Btw, I usually don't cook dinner myself, so I don't need any inspiration for cooking dinner hehe... But when I do cook for myself, most of the time I like to make some pasta with a nice tomatoe sauce, cuz it doesn't take too much time... I don't want to spend hours in the kitchen just cooking for me :P... Or I make some sushi to enjoy it all day :D

Mattman

Post by Mattman » Oct 28th, '05, 13:39

1 a simple recipe for tempurashrimps used in some kind of sushi

Fill a wok or a deep frying pan with oil and heat it at 170 degrees C or until a piece of bread turns brown in about 60 seconds.

For the tempura-dough (can you call it dough, it's more pancake-dough ish) put 1/10 L water in a bowl and (screen) 100 g of flour in it, mix it with a fork. Dip the shrimps (8 big ones, but I think you can throw in whatever you like in it, also vegetables) and fry them for 3-4 minutes in the oil until they're gold-brown. Scoop them out of the oil and let them leak on a piece of (kitchen-paper?, you know the big pieces of toilet paper not used in the toilet)
You're done

Another recipe I found in a cook-book, also for tempura shrimps, but can be used for other things as well
1 Heaten one dining spoon of oil in a frying pan and bake the scampis(or gambas, 600 g) untill they're pink, peal them, but leave the tail. Cut them for 2/3 of their length.
Pour 2/10 L icecold water in a bowl and stir 1 egg, some salt and pepper and 100 g of flour through it. Stir another 100 g of flour gently through the mass until there's a nice homogenous dough, leave 2 dining spoons of flour separately on a plate. Leave the dough alone for 1 hour, than add another 2/10 L of water through it while sirring.
Heaten 1/2 L olive oil in a deep frying pan (you know the temperature now).
mix 2/10 L of vegetable bouillon (you know that?), 4 dining spoons of porto (or even better mirin), 3 dining spoons of finely rasped ginger and 2 dining spoons of soy sauce in a deep pan.
Dip the shrimps in the flour on the plate and dip them afterwards one by one in the dough. Let the dough drip off a bit. Bake the shrimps 3 minutes in the oil, leave them drip on some kitchen paer and immediately serve with the sauce and some cooked rice.

The tempura-dough recipe can be used for other things as well. I don't know the second recipe, but if you add some mirin in the first one, it tastes better imho

Btw. the English terminology may be bad (I never cooked using English cookbooks or anything of the kind), please improve me where wrong

KrystalHeart

Post by KrystalHeart » Oct 28th, '05, 13:53

OMG, this thread is making me so hungry! I like reading this girl's blog cos she's got great looking recipes

http://tabetai.blogspot.com/

http://tabetai.blogspot.com/2004/08/ram ... ydney.html

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 28th, '05, 13:58

KrystalHeart wrote:OMG, this thread is making me so hungry! I like reading this girl's blog cos she's got great looking recipes

http://tabetai.blogspot.com/

http://tabetai.blogspot.com/2004/08/ram ... ydney.html
Ohh noooooooooooooooo.... damn this is making me hungry arrr....

lol keep it comming :)

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Oct 28th, '05, 14:09

Wow that looks so yummie... Is someone willing to make me some :P

@Mattman: Thanks for the recipes you just put in here... I can follow your instructions very well, since I can understand your semi-Dutch-translated terms :P

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 29th, '05, 02:39

kwon wrote:Wow that looks so yummie... Is someone willing to make me some :P

@Mattman: Thanks for the recipes you just put in here... I can follow your instructions very well, since I can understand your semi-Dutch-translated terms :P
ha no wonder, I couldnt understand some of the items he mentions -- kwon care to give the english names for it ?

cheerz

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Oct 29th, '05, 02:50

haha, wow, you guys eat better than i do!

this is what i usually do:

Breakfeast: nothing, i always sleep-in.

Lunch: PB&J sandwhich and yogart

Dinner: stir-fry or curry with rice.

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Oct 29th, '05, 02:57

@slashdevdsp: well which terms don't you understand? Cuz if it's about those Japanese stuff, you might wanna look that up on google?? But for the English terms, I'm not sure I can help you with those either... My primary or secondary language isn't English... But I can give it a try of course...

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 29th, '05, 03:09

kwon wrote:@slashdevdsp: well which terms don't you understand? Cuz if it's about those Japanese stuff, you might wanna look that up on google?? But for the English terms, I'm not sure I can help you with those either... My primary or secondary language isn't English... But I can give it a try of course...
hmm those :) I usually dont shop for the vegies or stuff i dont know, but well i rarely do shop for vegies :p hehe

hmm not sure about these:
vegetable bouillon
dining spoons of porto
mirin

cheerz

Mattman

Post by Mattman » Oct 29th, '05, 08:14

Wow, only one Dutch word where I did not know the meaning then
Bouillon = broth/stock (according to the dictionary, basically you can get it in cubes in the supermarket)
Porto (maybe port in English) is some kind of wine-based liquor (basically red whine combined with brandy, but not exactly that)
Mirin is japanese. It's a sweet rice-wine used for cooking

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Oct 29th, '05, 09:16

Ah Mattman translated it all himself already...

abisan

Post by abisan » Oct 31st, '05, 05:33

i'm into korean food at the moment cos it's very simple to do, just stock up on kimchee and gojuchang and sesame oil..

http://www.sweetbabymedia.com/recipes/korean.shtml sweet baby has a list of recipe that i found good, it has my fav beef soup..

http://english.tour2korea.com/05food/Lo ... &kosm=m5_3 knto list down and introduce korean food by area, WITH recipe.. very informative indeed..

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 31st, '05, 08:59

abisan wrote:i'm into korean food at the moment cos it's very simple to do, just stock up on kimchee and gojuchang and sesame oil..

http://www.sweetbabymedia.com/recipes/korean.shtml sweet baby has a list of recipe that i found good, it has my fav beef soup..

http://english.tour2korea.com/05food/Lo ... &kosm=m5_3 knto list down and introduce korean food by area, WITH recipe.. very informative indeed..
D00d u rock :)

that was a good link marn!!

thanks a bunch

kaoru13

Post by kaoru13 » Oct 31st, '05, 10:39

Oh yes... This is a topic I can talk about for ever and ever and ever...

I like the bread in the rice cooker recipe!! I sounds great. I have made chocolate cake in my rice cooker many times. I just get one of those cake batter mixes and follow directions and my rice cooker happens to have a cake setting. Anyways, out comes the fluffiest, lightest cake... almost like mushipan! maji oishiiyo~! :D

Also, the trick about tempura is to always chill the batter in the bowl right before you use it and anytime you can while you are frying. This makes tons of difference for some reason.

One of my favorite, cheap dishes to make is Okonomiyaki. All you need is cabbage cut into thin strips. If you are using half of one of those gigantic american size cabbage, then you probably need about a cup of flour (maybe 1/2 cup more), 6 eggs and then add water until it's like the consistency of thick pancake mix -- mixing everything together: cabbage, eggs, flour and water. Then throw in whatever you have -- ham, fish cakes, meat, or any leftovers (I like cheese) -- then pour them onto the frying pan, just like pancakes. Don't forget the special toppings -- red pickled ginger, aonori (seaweed flakes), tonkatsu sauce (Bulldog is my fav), mayonnaise (Kewpie of course), and Okaka (bonito flakes).

onakasuichattayo~! :cry:

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Oct 31st, '05, 12:19

kaoru13 wrote:Oh yes... This is a topic I can talk about for ever and ever and ever...
onakasuichattayo~! :cry:
HEHE kaoru13 we need more people like you :) hehe

hmm I guess everyone can atleast post their recipe for their favourite food here, so every one can enjoy the beloved recipies :)

My recipes are great and really easy, cos I just throw in all the stuff in the fridge and kitchen that are edible with rice, dats my cooking :) simple

sayonara

Mattman

Post by Mattman » Oct 31st, '05, 21:48

Anybody know some nice steamed dishes by the way?
I want to try to cook some of them. 8)

kaoru13

Post by kaoru13 » Oct 31st, '05, 22:42

Steamed dishes... well you can always make steamed dumplings (Gyoza in Japanese). I am vegetarian, so if you want to eat some meat, I suppose you can substitute all the veggies with some meat! I dunno... :unsure:

Anyways, all you need is some frozen potsticker skins (gyoza skins in Japanese). The circular ones are the best, the square ones are usually too thin. I recently found that the Korean circular potsticker skins are better for vegetarian dumplings since they are slightly thicker than Japanese gyoza skins. Anyways, just leave them out in room temp on the day you are gonna make them -- I would give it a few hours -- or I guess you could put them in the microwave to thaw... Watch they don't get dried out tho, before you use them. In a seperate bowl mix a small amount of starch with a small amount of water -- this will be the glue.

So, I usually use vegetables with texture (like carrots, broccoli stem, string beans) maybe some tofu or cheese -- whatever you want... go crazy. I cut everything up very very small. Add finely chopped scallions (or Nira if you can find it) and garlic (this is key) and mix together. Then take one of the circular skins and put a small spoonful of the veggie mixture on it. Put some glue around the perimeter of the gyoza skin and then fold in half and seal the sucker. Repeat for all the skins.

Now lay a few strips of cabbage or bok choi on your steamer bed, so that the dumplings don't stick to the steamer and lay the dumplings on top and steam! (you can fry these guys too. There's also this other way of semi-steaming and semi-frying, but I can tell you it if you are interested...)

Now, the dipping sauce is very important. You can make a sauce with finely cut ginger in rice vinegar and soy sauce. Or you can make another one with soy sauce and hot sesame oil (called La-yu -- even though it's a chinese style oil, I get it at the Japanese supermarket). In Japanese sometimes we add Japanese mustard (karashi) with soy sauce... there are many options!

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Oct 31st, '05, 23:18

Steamed dumplings sound delicious... I'm getting hungry...

Btw, that semi-steaming and semi-frying, is that steaming with oil instead of water? Sounds kinda weird hehe...

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Nov 1st, '05, 03:00

kaoru13 wrote:Steamed dishes... well you can always make steamed dumplings (Gyoza in Japanese). I am vegetarian, so if you want to eat some meat, I suppose you can substitute all the veggies with some meat! I dunno... :unsure:

Anyways, all you need is some frozen potsticker skins (gyoza skins in Japanese). The circular ones are the best, the square ones are usually too thin. I recently found that the Korean circular potsticker skins are better for vegetarian dumplings since they are slightly thicker than Japanese gyoza skins. Anyways, just leave them out in room temp on the day you are gonna make them -- I would give it a few hours -- or I guess you could put them in the microwave to thaw... Watch they don't get dried out tho, before you use them. In a seperate bowl mix a small amount of starch with a small amount of water -- this will be the glue.

So, I usually use vegetables with texture (like carrots, broccoli stem, string beans) maybe some tofu or cheese -- whatever you want... go crazy. I cut everything up very very small. Add finely chopped scallions (or Nira if you can find it) and garlic (this is key) and mix together. Then take one of the circular skins and put a small spoonful of the veggie mixture on it. Put some glue around the perimeter of the gyoza skin and then fold in half and seal the sucker. Repeat for all the skins.

Now lay a few strips of cabbage or bok choi on your steamer bed, so that the dumplings don't stick to the steamer and lay the dumplings on top and steam! (you can fry these guys too. There's also this other way of semi-steaming and semi-frying, but I can tell you it if you are interested...)

Now, the dipping sauce is very important. You can make a sauce with finely cut ginger in rice vinegar and soy sauce. Or you can make another one with soy sauce and hot sesame oil (called La-yu -- even though it's a chinese style oil, I get it at the Japanese supermarket). In Japanese sometimes we add Japanese mustard (karashi) with soy sauce... there are many options!
hey thats great, but for kooking noob like me:
whats the potsticker skins?

Searched google i found it is:
Potsticker skins in a breadmaker
To make the potsticker skins from scratch in a bread machine (these turn out much better than the store bought skins, but it is very time consuming), find the recipe for pizza dough that cam with your bread machine and reduce the amount of yeast to 1/3 what appears in the recipe. If you do not have a bread machine, you can mix 14 cups flour to 4.5 cups flour and knead by hand, adjusting with added flour until it reaches a dough consistency.

When the dough is ready, flower a cutting board and roll out the the desired thickness with a rolling pin. Cut in circles using an inverted container of the desired size. Add the scraps back into the remaining dough, roll out again, and repeat.

is that right ? or am i missing some thing ?

hmm i feel that I dont have a clue on some of the ingredients even the english names
you would be thinking how did i survive, lol I dont have a clue either :p

sayonara

floss

Post by floss » Nov 1st, '05, 08:27

The dishes are just too strange for me. Stupid explanation but that's how I can explain it.

My idea of a heavenly breakfast? Three big pancakes with butter on the top with real canadian made maple syrup. Not every health, but it's great to have it once and awhile. :mrgreen:

kaoru13

Post by kaoru13 » Nov 1st, '05, 08:53

slashdevdsp -- you don't have to make the skins in a breadmaker, you can just buy frozen ones at the local Japanese supermarket (or Korean, and maybe Chinese) -- do you have those close by? Try googling "gyoza skins" images, and you'll see what they look like. It's not supposed to be time-consuming... :blink

flass -- lol, yeah i also like pancakes too once in a while. candian maple syrup sounds heavenly indeed! but i think that trying other foods from other cultures is interesting too once in a while. ok, so the ingredients might sound strange or new, but you can learn a lot from trying different things like that. no? i guess you could walk into a japanese supermarket, and it might be embarassing but ask them about certain ingredients. or if you have a japanese friend, ask them for some advice.

if you want, i can also try to think of another recipe that doesn't require that many different ingredients. just let me know! :thumright:

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Nov 1st, '05, 19:19

Those potsticker skins, are those the same as wonton skins?

aoi_hana

Post by aoi_hana » Nov 1st, '05, 20:06

For me:

Breakfast: Coffee & possibly a bagel

Lunch: Whatever I have time for - sushi most of the time

Dinner: Curry rice, stir fried tofu, gyoza, riceballs

I saw a recipe on D-addicts for Omurice (as seen on Lunch Queen). I haven't gotten around to making it, but it looks really good.

Here's a link: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1d499e52d7

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of my local Japanese store, because a lot of the stuff they have is pretty easy to make. Lately, I've been into making croquettes (which are fried mashed potatoes with things such as curry, shrimp, vegetables etc) They sound weird, but they're really good!

slashdevdsp

My dinner dish Photos :)

Post by slashdevdsp » Nov 6th, '05, 12:18

My dinner dish Photos :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28094497%40N00/

The recipe, its like what ever there was in the fridge endedup in the pasta :)

The Ingredients are:
spring onion,
peas,
beans,
mushrooms,
pasta sauce,
Tom Yum sauce,
Yoghurt,
Olive oil
Oregano,
Capsicum,
chilli,
black pepper,
Tuna,
Olives
Lemon/lime juice
Pasta ofcourse :)

I think i forgot some others.. I will update just dont ask me in what quantity i put them, just put as much as you want hehe as long as it tastes good :) Since I was not sure I just put little quantities of the stuff and taste it, If i wanted more spicy add more chilli/blackpepper powder.

Ohh n the fried beef with some special sauce that mum made :) with corn chips and Apple juice --- MY dinner :)

And I am sure this can beat any JAPAN bread any day

HAHA....

lol I am kidding :p

ps: after clicking on the images there click on (ALL SIZES) to get the big image so ya all can DroolZ...

I am full now :) should be enought energy to last through the night :)

jana
Attachments
foooooooood :)
foooooooood :)
plate.jpg (129.52 KiB) Viewed 7076 times

silverstarach

Post by silverstarach » Nov 6th, '05, 14:45

Hmm, very interesting recipe posted here.. Well, I have never tried cooking japanese or korean food before but I love japanese food.. Yum-yum.. Sushi and chicken teriyaki are some of my favourites..

For my dinner dish, I like to cook fried rice ( the chinese way).. Simple and nice.. Ingredient is up to your choices.. There can be combination of minced garlic, egg, diced ham, wedged-cut brown onions and chopped vege.. Other times I choose seafood as the ingredients like prawn, diced fish ball , squid and crab meat. The main seasoning I use is dark sweet soy sauce.. You don't have to add anything else.. Another alternative is adding salt to the ingredient while you are cooking..

The steps are: Fry all the ingredient together in a pan, then mix thoroughly with the cooked rice. Lastly pour in the sauce and mix it well. About the measurement of sauce, I always do my own estimation. You can add the sauce slowly till you get the taste you want.

Note: For the egg, you need to beat it up in a bowl and may add some light soy sauce. Then, cook it as scrambled eggs separately from the ingredient and transfer to a plate. You will add the eggs when you are mixing all the ingredients with the cooked rice.

Another thing to note for the cooked rice, it is better to cook it first and let it to cool before mixing with the ingredients in the pan. This is to prevent the rice from being sticky.

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Nov 7th, '05, 11:26

Hello all :)

Finally got the courage to make japan 2 hehe....

Luckily have a bread maker here, I dont need to go through all the various process that will take 5hrs, actually the bread maker shows 2.5hrs.. fingers crossed :) (still 2 hrs to go)

Ohh n btw I added some pistachios, pitted prunes, banana and used whole meal flour to the JAPAN-2 recipe posted earlier.

Will post some Pics if it turns out nice hehe...

hopefully it will :)
Last edited by slashdevdsp on Nov 7th, '05, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Nov 7th, '05, 11:28

Ohh totally forgot to ask:

Any recommendations on simple cake/bread recipies ?

Do post them here....

jana

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Nov 7th, '05, 14:13

uhooo, japan #2 is out of baking looks good and tastes good too hehe :)

I wish I had those drastic reactions like "Kuroyanagi"san ......buuuuuuut I think he exagerrate a little too much..... HAHAHA :)

Ohh n you can see one side (2nd slice from the left) of the bread crust is already consumed by me even when it was hot and just came out of the oven..... just couldnt resist hehe

another pic can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28094497%40N00/

njoy

NEEED more recipies to try out :)

hohoho and it is my 100th post :) good timing hehe
Attachments
japan 2
japan 2
japan_2.jpg (183.26 KiB) Viewed 6303 times

kali4niaguy

Insulated soup bowl

Post by kali4niaguy » Nov 30th, '05, 00:51

Does anyone know where I can find insulated steel soup bowls? I've googled many times, and haven't found the right ones. Some of the prices for the bowls that I found were a little too high (I found one for $200+). Anyone in the SF-Bay Area that frequent Asian stores seen these kind of bowls? The bowls help to keep the soups hot longer. I'm thinking of the bowls that's double layered (Korean style?), the soup that's put inside would be hot while the outside would stay normal. My friend said he saw some awhile back in the LA area. But I'm not near LA, so I can't really check that out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

yurrie

Post by yurrie » Apr 17th, '06, 23:50

anyone know how to make rice bowl like in most korean movie?
like in choon-hyang delightful girl... they mix some food with rice in a big bowl...
what kind of food usually got in that bowl? =P
curious ..
wanna make one =)

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Apr 19th, '06, 05:06

Best Korean family restaurant in Salt Lake City if you find yourself passing on the I 15 one day, pull over and dig up the local phone book and look for a place called Myun-Ga.

Best K-food I've had ever.
It's one of those half shabby old style (not a table looks the same, and family run)
restaurants with just the tastiest food you can find.

To bad it's to far from me now. Got hungry finding this thread