Drama or Dorama

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

Drama or Dorama

Drama
51%
Dorama
49%

Total votes: 68

paragon

Drama or Dorama

Post by paragon » Aug 6th, '05, 05:28

So I've noticed that some people use the term 'drama', while others prefer 'dorama'. I'm curious to see how popular each term is, so I made this poll.

Personally, I think there's something slightly annoying about the term 'dorama', but I can't put my finger on it.

tUrtleAE86

Post by tUrtleAE86 » Aug 6th, '05, 07:16

Well... if you wanted to write "drama" in Japanese it's ドラマ, which is DO-RA-MA. A lot of people prefer spelling it phonetically that way, I guess because it makes it feel like something more unique than a TV-Drama that you might watch on American/Canadian TV.

Jecky

Post by Jecky » Aug 6th, '05, 07:45

for me i like saying DORAMA better than drama. it sounds so Asian 8)
Last edited by Jecky on Aug 7th, '05, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
7=1 Jaebeom oppa come back already~!!!! :cry:

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 6th, '05, 15:03

If it's japanese then it's dorama if it's anything else it's drama :D

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Aug 6th, '05, 15:18

Lowest wrote:If it's japanese then it's dorama if it's anything else it's drama :D
exactly :lol
when someone is saying 'dorama' I always think about Japanese series only. All the rest are k-drama, c-drama etc :-)
Image Image
supporting Kanju

mii-chan

Post by mii-chan » Aug 6th, '05, 16:05

I tend to say dorama, because until very recently I only watched japanese dramas and honestly, I never even thought about the fact that it might not be the same in chinese and korean language. So now, that I'm conscious about that, I will probably switch to drama automatically.
The only thing is, that in my mothertongue, 'drama' has a different nuance. For me it feels kind of weird to call something funny or romantic a drama.

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Aug 6th, '05, 16:37

When I'm talking or typing in English but referring to asian dramas, it's "drama". 日本語で話せばも書けば、もちろん僕は「ドラマ」と言います。(If I'm talking or typing in Japanese, of course I say "do-ra-ma".)

to Lowest: I love your signature! I've seen the list grow for some time now. LoL! It's so awesome. I see you keep changing the pics too. ~_^ nice nice!

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Aug 6th, '05, 21:18

hhmmm....used to say dorama for Japanese dramas when I used to think in terms of Japanese, and drama for the rest of Asian dramas....But lately I'm just thinking in English when writing, so I've been just use drama.....

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Aug 6th, '05, 21:40

I don't get why some pplz say MOVIE when they mean DRAMA :lol

Motoki18

Post by Motoki18 » Aug 6th, '05, 22:12

Its dorama since in japanese its dorama and english its drama !!!I PREFER to say dorama since im japanese!

mallepa

Post by mallepa » Aug 6th, '05, 22:56

When I talk to people who don't know what dramas are, I called them "dramas". ^^;; I call them dramas mostly anyway @.@;;

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 7th, '05, 00:12

I voted for Dorama even though I said what I said (I just wanted to press the button :P and I'm really only tell you this so I can say what I'm going to next and not be completely off topic :w00t:)
kusmog wrote:to Lowest: I love your signature! I've seen the list grow for some time now. LoL! It's so awesome. I see you keep changing the pics too. ~_^ nice nice!
Thank you :D I tend to update the pics from the last episode I watched :P

Romance

Post by Romance » Aug 7th, '05, 00:24

as some1 said, dorama for japanese ones

bone-doll
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bone-doll » Aug 7th, '05, 06:14

enuyasha wrote:I don't get why some pplz say MOVIE when they mean DRAMA :lol
Lol. Me too. I never knew how the word movie could refer to drama. :glare:

I say drama.. dorama just takes too much effort. :lol

birdisland13

doremi ...

Post by birdisland13 » Aug 7th, '05, 06:31

doremi ... dorama :-)

Love :P

Akiramike
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Aug 7th, '05, 06:46

Definitely dorama for japanese shows.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 8th, '05, 11:56

lol.. and in Korea you say deurama :mrgreen:

드라마 (Deu-ra-ma)
..:: ( Clubbox | Wiki | FAQ | [url=irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/d-addicts]IRC[/url] ) ::..

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Apr 15th, '06, 23:25

That's the one thing that bothers me, movies are movies while dramas are dramas. There's a huge difference and even when ppl know the difference, they continue to make the mistakes. :x Anywayz I never get why some ppl say dorama until now, it kinda gets annoying cuz it doesn't sound like proper english

groink

Post by groink » Apr 16th, '06, 03:54

I've noticed that when a poster refers to dramas as a movie, English doesn't seem to be their native language.

In non-speaking cultures, movie is used for ANY form of media where you have a combination of moving video and audio. And I can understand why they think this... Even some dictionaries define movie this way. And, if you look at any of the international festivals around the world (Cannes, HIFF, etc.) they're all film festivals and not movie festivals. So the word movie shouldn't have to just mean video not displayed on a television set.

Just look at the word television. Remember that the television was invented in an English speaking culture. Usually the word television is either a loanword (Japanese call it テレビ or TE-RE-BI) in their native language, or they just simply use a totally different word to describe motion pictures displayed on a television set.

My SWAG is that movies were shown in many parts of the world decades before they ever watched television. So when television became a part of their regular lives, they basically didn't see the distinction between television and watching a motion picture on the big screen, or even bother to break down the types of programming into categories (drama, variety show, education show, etc.) As people learn English, the word movie carried down from generation to generation.

In summary, when someone mentions dramas as movies, just accept the fact that the two mean the same thing for a number of people

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Apr 16th, '06, 21:24

I generally say "drama" or "J-drama", "K-drama", etc. when speaking in English, but when I speak Japanese of course doinkies uses the word ドラマ (dorama).

Schala

Post by Schala » Apr 16th, '06, 21:43

I type both. I dunno. Sometimes it just comes out as dorama, other times it comes out as drama. *shrug* And for those who have no clue what I'm talking about, I say Jdramas. And for those who are absolutely clueless, I say Japanese drama tv shows. Lol.