Volunteer Series Seeding - Comments/Suggestions/Feedback

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

do you think we should have a dedicated thread whereby an individual can announce his/her intention of reseeding an old series?

yes, it's an excellent idea
97%
no, it's a bad idea
3%

Total votes: 383

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Volunteer Series Seeding - Comments/Suggestions/Feedback

Post by jholic » Jan 24th, '05, 11:04

Volunteer Series Seeding has begun!
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12261

what is the 'volunteer series seeding' thread for?
basically, the vss thread allows individuals to ANNOUNCE his/her intention of re-seeding an older, unseeded, completed series. don't confuse this with releasing a new series, answering a seed request for one or two eps, or SOTW/SOTM. 'vss' is for reseeding a completed, older series such as forbidden love, princess hiro, pride, autumn tale, or other torrents that may have been on the tracker for a few months or so.

what is the 'volunteer series seeding' thread NOT to be used for?
- requesting that a series be seeded (you would do that in the appropriate seed req thread)
- answering a seed req for just one or two people (again, in the seed req thread)
- replacing the seed req, sotw, or sotm (there's no voting here)
- reseeding any series that already has multiple, current seeds (please check current seed status w/ MoerkJ's tool)
- raising expectations that someone will always be seeding a series every day, week, month, whatever - it's strictly voluntary and there is no set schedule
- seeding just part of the series and hoping someone will complete the rest - you should have all eps already completed (though you may want to ask for help on the ost or special, if you don't have it)
- "casual seeding" - we practice SAFE AND MEANINGFUL SEEDING here at d-addicts, dangit! if your intent is just to seed an ep here or there over the course of a year, then the vss thread is not for you. you should just continue to seed casually in the seed req section. the vss thread is about COMMITMENT! :lol

why was the vss thread created?
- many people had an entire series that they could seed, but felt it would be a waste to seed an entire series for just one or two people
- even if a seeder announced his/her intention of reseeding a series (in the seed req thread), not many people ever read that particular thread
- many series never won sotw/sotm, OR they won it, and would never go back on it again
- even if the seeder announced seeding in his/her signature file, s/he'd have to post like 1800 times and change his nick to 'jholic' to get anyone to notice. and everyone already ignores jholic.... :mrgreen:
- there were some seeders already reseeding entire dramas, but how many people hear about it? bet you wouldn't have missed it if there was a vss announcement thread

who can be a 'vss'?
anybody! if you have an entire series that was released here on d-addicts, and would like to reseed - as long as it does not already have multiple seeds for each ep - you can announce it here. however, once the vss announces his/her intention, there should be a responsibility to come through with your offer, since many people may be waiting on the particular series.
of course, if you only have a few episodes (or the entire series) of the announced vss, you are always welcome to join in and assist (you don't need to make an announcement). we always appreciate additional help.

where can i.....
- find current vss's? ... here
- make a request for an older series to be seeded? ... in the appropriate seed req thread of that torrent
- say THANK YOU to the vss's? ... in the appropriate seed req thread of that torrent
- provide comments, suggestions, feedback, etc? ... right here in this thread

when would a vss make an announcement?
vss is completely random, but if you do intend to make an announcement, for maximum effectiveness, it's best to pm a mod or jholic a few days before the actual reseeding occurs. you'll want to give time for the mod to post your announcement in the thread.

how does the vss thread work?

the vss thread is always LOCKED to prevent people from posting there, and making the thread too confusing. if you want to ANNOUNCE your intention of being a vss, you should pm jholic or one of the mods (MoerkJ, iceberri, puccakiss79, neonkinpatsu, etc) with the following info (and preferably in the following FORMAT):

the vss should include, at the minimum, the following info:

time period of the reseed (couple of days, weekend, a month - of course, the longer the series, the longer the reseed period, but pls use common sense)
your name
series name (and version if needed)
# of eps/special/ost
whatever notes

OPTIONAL INFO:
**if you cannot figure out how to get the last three items, you can just leave it blank, but it would make our lives easier if you provide us the info**
torrent comments link (probably of ep1, but you could just give the link of the 'search' results page)
torrent download link (use the 'torrent search' function, and copy/paste the corresponding link)
seed request thread link (found in the 'seed req' section)

example format:
time period: 01/04/05 - 01/11/05
vss: jholic
series: autumn tale (cimg dvd rip version)
eps: 1-16 and ost
notes: my upload speed has a max of 16kB, so please bear with me. i will start from ep1 and finish with the ost.
series info: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6302
torrent downloads: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... ype=&sort=
updates, comments & thank you's: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6912

example format:
time period: weekend of 01/15/05 - 01/16/05
vss: dmorgan
series: big wing
eps: 1-11
notes: this is a batch torrent, so if you have some of the eps, you may want to put it in one folder and start the batch. i may need to disconnect every once in a while, so please be patient.
torrent info: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6879
updates, comments & thank you's: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11593

IMPORTANT NOTE TO VSS: by announcing in this thread, you should assume some responsibility for completing your offer. your announcement may make the torrent uber-popular (2000 leechers) or not so popular (2 leechers). in either case, you should proceed with reseeding. thank you very much for your participation in this project.

EVERYONE ELSE: please help out our vss's by staying on to seed others. sharing is caring! :D
Last edited by jholic on Apr 10th, '05, 13:30, edited 7 times in total.

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Volunteer Series Seeding

Post by animetama » Jan 24th, '05, 11:17

jholic wrote: "casual seeding" - we practice SAFE AND MEANINGFUL SEEDING here at d-addicts, dangit! if your intent is just to seed an ep here or there over the course of a year, then the vss thread is not for you. you should just continue to seed casually in the seed req section. the vss thread is about COMMITMENT!
:rofl:

ok, i was thinking about something else but you owe me a new keyboard!
    Q12. The first thing you saw when you woke up in the morning?
    YC: Jaejoong... JJ: Yoochun...
    <33333

Gwendel

Post by Gwendel » Jan 24th, '05, 11:22

Well, you've sold me. :lol And thank you for addressing the questions I asked in the other topic in your opening statement. ^.^

If I were going to pick a forum to put it in, I guess it would be seed requests, because it seems like more people going to look for a seed would see it that way. For SotW, I typically access that thread through the link on the torrents page (in the box for the current SotW), and rarely bother accessing it through the forum itself. But then, that's just my personal behavior.....

Another question, perhaps an obvious one: will this also include Jem? I have more of a tendency to look there and offer things that need reseeding myself, and I'm an advocate of anything that would revive his tracker, naturally. :-)

alvy

Post by alvy » Jan 24th, '05, 11:22

This idea would suit my seeding habits eminently. :-)

And if it would be ok to say that you are going to be seeding some jem stuff, I favour that idea as well. Viva jem.

blakmetalik

Post by blakmetalik » Jan 24th, '05, 12:28

As I said before, I'm all for it. :D
It would be cool if Jem torrents were included as well. :)

dmorgan

Post by dmorgan » Jan 24th, '05, 12:51

Nicely put jholic! This is what d-addicts needs. We are a great community and can help each other more efficiently with a vss fourm section.

:dance: :dance:

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 24th, '05, 13:44

np, if you want to have a moderated thread (no replies, deleting of obsolete posts) I can help you. If you want it locked & sticky I can do that for you too. Once you have your posts in that locked thread you can edit those as you wish. Just send me the details through PM or try to catch me on IRC. :mrgreen:
..:: ( Clubbox | Wiki | FAQ | [url=irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/d-addicts]IRC[/url] ) ::..

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Jan 24th, '05, 14:08

MoerkJ wrote:np, if you want to have a moderated thread (no replies, deleting of obsolete posts) I can help you. If you want it locked & sticky I can do that for you too. .
A moderated locked thread sounds good. :lol
Sticky sounds.... :blink hmmm like it would be a mess to find things further down the list.

I'm all for it too. Then those who want to do batch torrents can do so and those who want to reseed multiples can do so too.

I think it suits all with large hdd space that want to help out.
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Jan 24th, '05, 14:31

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this jholic. Great job~ :salut: Since it's your baby, it makes most sense for you to start the thread and the mods will lock/moderate it. You can still edit your posts to add more and more information so that shouldn't be a problem.

Just a point of clarification: At least for the KSOTM, series that have won can be put back on the poll. Actually, pucca and I were thinking about doing just that for February. :P Since it's been running for nearly 8 months now, we felt that there was a significantly larger "newbie" pool who might be interested in it. I think for the JSOTW, thetenken runs it so that past winners are not nominated, but you'd have to ask him to clarify that. ^___^

Carn

Post by Carn » Jan 24th, '05, 14:57

Yay, wonderful idea! :lol Count me in!

Also, HA at the "casual seeding" bit =P

Edit: Oh, question. Will we be coordinating series like a SotW type thing? Or spreading out among different series?

*coughs* Watch out for a sheriff, jholic! :crazy:
o/~
Sheriff John Brown always hated me;
For what I don't know.
Every time that I plant a seed
He said, "Kill it before it grows."
He said, "Kill it before it grows."
o/~

dmorgan

Post by dmorgan » Jan 24th, '05, 16:09

Carn wrote:
Edit: Oh, question. Will we be coordinating series like a SotW type thing? Or spreading out among different series?
I like the idea of coordinating and will be happy to be a part of an effort. :-) That is a good idea. 8)

:idea: I think the idea is spreading out and making an announcement that there is a seed.

When I help seed a series, I usually go down the line and bring at most of the folks up to 100% then move on to the next episode. Quite often others jump in when I am half way through the series. This will always happen, but we will be able to announce "Hey!! There is a seed here!!" and folks will have been able to know that there was a seed when I was on episode 1 :D

I like to help a group and not just 1 person when I am taking the time to seed a series.

I also like to know that someone will stick with me when I am trying to download a series as well. :unsure:

Carn

Post by Carn » Jan 24th, '05, 16:12

*nodnod* And a group seeding a group will be even better.

Also, will you be voluntarily sharing some of that pocky with us? :|

lizzo

Post by lizzo » Jan 24th, '05, 16:13

Being a newbie around here (but not to jdorama) I think this is a great idea. There are a lot of old series that I see here that I'd like to get, but I hate asking. I'll usually just keep checking the trackers until I see something being seeded, or check the seed requests. And I know from seeding that lots of people don't ask, they just keep hoping that the seeder will show up eventually. Sometimes I have to check the tracker to see who needs something.

Well, I'm sure this is all redundant to you regulars, but now I have ten posts. 8)

lizzo

Annae

Post by Annae » Jan 24th, '05, 16:22

:D .. I LOVE this IDEA!!! GREAT!!.. meaning you'll know when to dl and up a torrent file... cause i i'll seed or dl an ep... but no one knows I am..

THanks .. I think it's a good idea .. i would volunteer ..but i'm not a pro at bittorrent and board/forum stuff.. i"ll leave to ppl who can.. I agree it's going to take a deal of work and paitence
currently watching: ... Goong :dance: :clap: :thumright: FIGHTING!!
thanks Ruroshin, mods and seeders for just a GREAT site!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 24th, '05, 23:56

'tama: IOU - one keyboard. ha! sorry, how else was i going to describe 'casual seeding'? btw, where's YOUR mind at?!?

MJ and ice: i really appreciate your response as mods. just to verify - even if you LOCK the thread, i'll be able to edit my last post? if so, that would work out perfectly for the idea i have in mind.

ice: i plan to start the thread w/in a few days, thanks!

everyone else: i really appreciate your input/comments/feedback/suggestions/etc. to address a few of those ---

- i will definitely contact jem for his permission, but i do not see a reason why he would not want his torrents to be seeded. but i'll see if i can contact him.

- Carn/dm, i like the group coordination thing, but perhaps we should keep it to a minimum. as i mentioned in the thread, i do not want to set a precedence where people will come to EXPECT that a vss will appear every weekend or month or whatever. i also don't want people to feel as if they need to be in a 'group' in order to be a vss. we can discuss it through pm or something.

thanks for the suggestions, i made a few modifications/additions to the post above.

Carn

Post by Carn » Jan 25th, '05, 03:57

*nods* Then it'd be like a mini SotW or something and that's not really the point, right? I think I get what you mean. =)

Anyway, looking forward to this! I liked the bit about the specific and limited dates when you promise to seed. That means since most of my dramas are at home, I can bring one or two entire series back to school every few weeks to reseed (instead of bringing them all and reseeding a few eps here and there).

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Jan 25th, '05, 04:24

I support the idea of VSS and will be happy to participate. This is a great, new way to share.

jholic - thanks for taking the time to set up this program. :cheers:

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Jan 25th, '05, 04:59

the poll's leaning towards a YES so far, hopefully this will get implemented. Jholic...y don't u become a mod!? it seems like u're on here more then Ruro! :mrgreen: i don't know if u've been approached about being a mod b4 or not, but if u have the mod power, they'll b less work for other mods when it comes to this VSS thing. of course, Ruro will need your social security #, DOB, address, bank account #, and other info so he can do a background check and approve ur bid for the mod power. :lol

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Volunteer Series Seeding

Post by puccakiss79 » Jan 25th, '05, 05:12

jholic wrote: - even if the seeder puts it in his signature file, s/he'd have to post like 1800 times and change his nick to 'jholic' to get anyone to notice. and everyone already ignores jholic....
:rofl:

hey, what a great idea...maika`i no, jholic! I was going to seed Phoenix when i'm not up to seed a KSOTM, so this is a great way to let ppl know about it. Thanks. I'll help out in anyway you think I could...like MoerkJ, you can catch me via pm or irc :-)

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » Jan 25th, '05, 12:58

jholic wrote:'tama: IOU - one keyboard. ha! sorry, how else was i going to describe 'casual seeding'? btw, where's YOUR mind at?!?
hehe.. No Comment. :whistling:
jholic wrote: - Carn/dm, i like the group coordination thing, but perhaps we should keep it to a minimum. as i mentioned in the thread, i do not want to set a precedence where people will come to EXPECT that a vss will appear every weekend or month or whatever. i also don't want people to feel as if they need to be in a 'group' in order to be a vss. we can discuss it through pm or something.
Excellent point. Now this I would love to see, just individuals doing their thing.. turn it into a race! hah!
The poor leechers (i mean.. downloaders..), can you imagine a lost puppy turning its head wondering which to choose to download..

ahhh.. wouldnt it be just heaven if there were just toooo many (E-sub - my dream!) dorama to choose and download from every week!

Onya jholic!! :wub:
    <33333

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 25th, '05, 13:45

Interesting idea jholic. I don't quite understand why it has to be such a formal "VSS" setup. Can't people just do that now? Unless you get a spot advertising this VSS on the torrent page (like SoTW and KSOTM) what would be the difference between someone just posting a msg and declaring s/he is starting to personally seed a series?

Anyway, I am in no way against this idea. More power to you and best of luck. I just don't understand the need to make it such a formal setup--I guess is all.

I guess this idea is about making the seeding process public and commited. That way, if someone states publicly s/he is going to seed a series but reneges later, we can all stone him/her to death with smelly eggs. :lol

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 25th, '05, 23:58

Carn/Phoenix: glad to see you in this thread, really appreciate your support and releases!

kali4niaguy: dude, what can i say? thanks for that utmost vote of confidence. (i believe we agreed on $1000usd to be transferred to your swiss bank account?) but having a lot of posts doesn't mean that you qualify for mod status. the mods here on d-add have a lot more redeeming qualities than that. thanks, anyways. besides, if Ruro did a background check on me, he'd probably kick me off the forum! :lol

pucca: thanks for joining in. (ho, sorry ah! you even know where fo' put the 'okina in da word!) i will add you to the list of mods to pm.

BT: i guess i'm just trying to create a formal thread to avoid mussing up the forum. at first, my thoughts were like yours. 'hey, why not just post an announcement in the gen discussions or something.' but i could imagine if so many others decided to follow suit. create their own threads? reply to mine? post in gen disc, j/k/c entertainment, seed req? i decided to avoid any disastrous problems and see if i could get the mods to agree to a more organized format of announcement. thanks for your support as well.

i will give this thread a little bit more time, as i am already planning to create the 'vss' thread. i ask that the mods do NOT lock this particular thread since i would like to use it for feedback/comments when the vss thread begins. thanks, everyone!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 27th, '05, 00:00

ok, looks like it's almost unanimous. for the two that voted 'no', would've liked your reasons why, but i guess not.

i'm going to start the new VSS thread in the seed request section in a day or two.

EDIT:
some people are wanting to start the vss immediately. i thank you for your eager (and frenzied) response, but let's look at this weekend (1/29/05) as the earliest date for the first vss. thanks again!
Last edited by jholic on Jan 29th, '05, 09:07, edited 3 times in total.

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Jan 27th, '05, 00:45

*takes a peek at the poll results* Looks like a landslide win for VSS here. Anyways, I think it's a great idea. Chances are some people prolly have similar intentions of doing something similar and this may well turn into one of those milestones in D-Addicts (like the SOTM and SOTW). So, kudos to you jholic for taking the initiative and time to come up with the proposal and details.

PS: If there's a public opinion section before a mod appt is made, I vote jholic for mod too :wink:

All the best.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 29th, '05, 09:11

LGG: thanks! :-)

i've started the vss thread, and i chose 'odoru daisosassen' as my vss.

if you have a drama that you'd like to seed on the vss thread, please let me know!

example format: (last three items are optional)
time period: 01/28/05 - 02/04/05
vss: jholic
series: Odoru Daisosassen
eps: 1-12 (#12 is a special w/ no subs)
notes: ep1 should be seeding right NOW! the torrents should move faster if everyone uncaps their UPLOAD speed.
torrent info: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... d307720d38
post all comments, requests, and thank you's in seed request section: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9308

dmorgan

Post by dmorgan » Jan 29th, '05, 14:57

This is great! I will be jumping in as a vss soon. :-) I have to decide which to choose...hmmmm. :unsure:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 31st, '05, 04:34

just to let everyone know, there are already three vss's:

jholic = odoru daisosassen

puccakiss79 = phoenix

dmorgan = 24hr emergency ward 2 (jem)

check out our thread:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12261

================================================

also, wanted your opinions on this thought: what if i were to make this thread for EVERYTHING vss-related? in other words, allow people to make requests for vss's here, post thank you's here, comments/suggestions etc.

reason: after giving it some thought, i thought that it may make it more convenient for potential vss's to just look at one thread to see what people are asking for. (no voting - i'm not looking to replace sotw/sotm)

disadvantage: i don't want to mislead people into thinking that they can start making any kind of seed requests in here.

hope i get some feedback on this. thanks!

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jan 31st, '05, 05:31

jholic can now moderate the Seeding and Upload Requests forum

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Jan 31st, '05, 06:44

jholic wrote:also, wanted your opinions on this thought: what if i were to make this thread for EVERYTHING vss-related? in other words, allow people to make requests for vss's here, post thank you's here, comments/suggestions etc.

reason: after giving it some thought, i thought that it may make it more convenient for potential vss's to just look at one thread to see what people are asking for. (no voting - i'm not looking to replace sotw/sotm)

disadvantage: i don't want to mislead people into thinking that they can start making any kind of seed requests in here.
I think if you were to make this thread everything VSS, it'd get rather long & messy. Why not let this stay a suggestions/feedback thread, and start another thread for requests & thank-you's. If we post a request in the respective seed request thread, it might go unnoticed, so it would be good to have a thread just for that. I guess we'd get some newbies asking for seeds in the request/thank you thread, but I'd rather look through one thread to see what people are asking for.

kidd

Post by kidd » Jan 31st, '05, 06:58

If I have the series or am downloading it, I will seed every day with the rates turned down during the time I'm on the computer so I don't lag.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 31st, '05, 09:25

excellent idea jholic~!!! i'm all for it! :-)
my blog[/size]

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 31st, '05, 23:28

also, wanted your opinions on this thought: what if i were to make this thread for EVERYTHING vss-related? in other words, allow people to make requests for vss's here, post thank you's here, comments/suggestions etc.
disadvantage: i don't want to mislead people into thinking that they can start making any kind of seed requests in there.
lilswt and others: thanks for your comments. will keep your suggestions in mind. i'm still deciding on how to configure the new thread. anyone else with comments?

Ruro: i appreciate your kind gesture. thank you very much!

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

note to seeder volunteers

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 1st, '05, 00:12

Well, I already said this somewhere else...

The most efficient way to share dramas is just to seed what needs seeding most. Use the following link to see which torrents need seeding:

link: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... ng&sort=DL
..:: ( Clubbox | Wiki | FAQ | [url=irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/d-addicts]IRC[/url] ) ::..

dmorgan

Post by dmorgan » Feb 4th, '05, 03:57

I am having some turn out for my series this week. I'm enjoying sharing a series and hope that others will jump in and volunteer to share a series. You don't have to have a mega fast upload speed to take part (mega fast is nice though :mrgreen: )

It looks I will be doing some SOTW seeding coming up, but will be back to be a VSS again!

Let's hear some more feedback! What do you think of this new feature of d-addicts? :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 4th, '05, 10:41

DM: glad to hear your 24hr emergency torrent on jem is working out. my odoru torrents worked out well also. completed several people, and still being seeded as we speak.

everyone, two new VSSs have been added, thanks to:

mtlandis - ALL IN

Carn - ITSUMO FUTARI DE (JEM)

please see the vss thread for more info.....

:D
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Feb 6th, '05, 10:04

thank u volunteer seeders, so many dramas that i don't have, but so little bandwidth!!! :-( :cry: i can't grab them all. i want All In, Phoenix, and Itsumo Futari De! i guess i'll grab what i can now, and beg for the rest l8r. :D

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Feb 6th, '05, 10:07

I am very glad for the seedings of All In ........ since All In got dropped from this month sotm ..... this worked out well :D
Watching :- All In [5/24], 1% of Anything [18/26]
Working On :- Summer I Love You | Clubbox

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 6th, '05, 11:08

yup, let's all give a hand to our pioneer volunteer seeders: pucca, dmorgan, Carn, mtlandis, jaycee05, and animetama!

just to let everyone know, some new series have been added:

jaycee05 - majo no jouken (forbidden love)

animetama - narita rikon (jem)

much thanks to them for sharing. please help them out by staying on when you complete! :D

lolipss
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lolipss » Feb 7th, '05, 02:54

i hope there will be someone who voluenter to seed Bodyguard kdrama :P
iam looking forward to it :lol :lol :lol
I Want to Watch 'Tell me you love me'!!! :)

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Feb 7th, '05, 03:18

Thank you for seeding All In, mtlandis! I just need a few episodes here & there, and I'll help seed after I'm done. :) I wish someone would seed Loving You as VSS. It's so hard to get seeds for this series. I'd love to start a VSS, but it's gonna have to wait till end of March when my vacation starts.

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Feb 7th, '05, 03:24

I am seeding All In, 3 episodes every 24 hours. After I finish up episode 24, people can PM me and I can seed assorted episodes for another 24 hours.

LOL I thought this would be a pain in the butt, but I am actually enjoying this. I am trying to decide which series I want to do next. Maybe Autumn Tale? Hotelier? Winter Sonata?

I have about 20 of them, but most are newer.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 7th, '05, 10:08

i'm glad to hear that people are finding this useful. i'm not expecting a thousand leechers to jump on a torrent, but for myself, i'm happy to have 8ppl rather than only two.

just a quick update: jaycee05 is unable to find a copy of the 'forbidden love ost'. if someone could help seed it, that would be wonderful. the vss of the eps will continue as normal.

thanks again!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 10th, '05, 04:25

latest VSS news:

animetama = LE BEL HOMME (UTSUKUSHII HITO) on JEMs tracker

Phoenix = all of the NEXT STOP DISCOVERY series (that have been loaded on d-add)

much thanks to them for sharing with our community! :D

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Feb 10th, '05, 05:56

The VSS program has gotten off to a good start. Thanks to all the seeders participating. :-) What does everyone think about a link on the torrents page to the VSS post that lists the series that will be seeded? I know there's pretty much already on the torrents page, but that would help newcomers to the site, people who don't know where to find the VSS thread, and those who have the torrents page bookmarked. Something a little more than just "VSS" would be needed as newcomers wouldn't know what that means. Maybe "Older Dramas Seeded Here" or something similar. :unsure:
Last edited by Phoenix on Feb 10th, '05, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

dmorgan

Post by dmorgan » Feb 10th, '05, 07:33

I agree Phoenix. A link on the front page would be nice. I would use it and so would most of us! :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 11th, '05, 04:57

dm: ha, ha! of course, i'd love to give even more visibility to the vss thread, but i don't want to get too carried away. if our vss thread goes onto the front pg, then some may ask why not jsotw, ksotm, csotm, MJ's index of topics, other stickies, etc?

Phoenix/dm: i was thinking of replicating the thread, maybe in the SOTW/SOTM section. i notice that there's often some series that lose by a few votes every week (like how food fight did). my thoughts were to jump in on their thread :mrgreen: at the end of the week or month, and see if they would like to seed through the vss. :roll

right now (thanks to all your help!!), i think we're doing pretty well. the vss has only been out for about two weeks, and we've gotten about 1200 views. i have my way of 'bumping' the vss sticky w/o a negative impact on everything. (which i noticed helped to get more views).

i also try to change the header of the thread and my signature file to keep it rather dynamic. i appreciate the efforts of others to help me out by plugging the vss in their sig files (pucca, dm, jaycee, etc.).

i'm not looking to put out 20 or 30 series a week. just three or four is more than sufficient. i think lilswtangel is thinking of doing a vss soon as well.

in any case, i really do appreciate all your support in this project! :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 12th, '05, 16:43

for those of you who enjoyed jaycee's 'forbidden love' vss seed, please show your appreciation by staying on to help seed others.

announcing new VSSs!

jaycee's new vss = beautiful days (JEM)

jholic = ringu saishusho (the ring series) (JEM)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Feb 13th, '05, 18:18

jholic wrote: of course, i'd love to give even more visibility to the vss thread, but i don't want to get too carried away. if our vss thread goes onto the front pg, then some may ask why not jsotw, ksotm, csotm, MJ's index of topics, other stickies, etc?
Hey, jholic. I was actually suggesting a link on the torrents page to the VSS post. On the torrents page, we already have the JSOTW and the KSOTM.
jholic wrote: i'm not looking to put out 20 or 30 series a week. just three or four is more than sufficient.
I also am not hoping to increase the number of VSS, but to make them more visible to everyone so that the seeder's efforts are more fruitful. :roll

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 14th, '05, 05:26

Phoenix wrote:Hey, jholic. I was actually suggesting a link on the torrents page to the VSS post. On the torrents page, we already have the JSOTW and the KSOTM.
i know, i was just replying to dmorgan's suggestion about the front page. :lol

EDIT:
Phoenix, my apologies. after re-reading your post, i finally understand what you meant. duh!
when i first read your thread, i thought you meant putting a sticky in the 'torrent comments' section. i honestly didn't see how that would have helped, but now i know which 'torrents page' you're referring to.

i only visit d-addicts like fourteen times a day, so you really need to spell it out for a newbie like me. :glare: :P

that actually sounds like a very feasible idea. i know that CHINESE sotm is coming out. currently, we have two banners on the top of the torrents page. if they fit a third, it may make it a bit lopsided? not sure what they're planning to do, but perhaps Ruro will allow me to place a VSS link right next to the csotm so that the banners can display 2x2??

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Feb 15th, '05, 05:44

i really appreciate all the ppl that's seeding old dramas. but it's frustrating me more then ever with so many things to dl, and not enuf bandwidth to dl it all! :cry: :cry: :cry: plus, there's not enuf time to get all the 1s i want b4 it expires! sorry, i'm just greedy. :mrgreen:

dmorgan

Post by dmorgan » Feb 15th, '05, 05:56

jholic wrote: i know, i was just replying to dmorgan's suggestion about the front page. :lol
I meant the torrent page actually. :lol
kali4niaguy wrote:i really appreciate all the ppl that's seeding old dramas. but it's frustrating me more then ever with so many things to dl, and not enuf bandwidth to dl it all! :cry: :cry: :cry: plus, there's not enuf time to get all the 1s i want b4 it expires! sorry, i'm just greedy. :mrgreen:
Just because it is seeded once, doesn't mean that it will never get seeded again. jholic will be happy to allow the same series as a vss many times down the road.

I am one to talk... :lol I am a hoarder too. I am to a point where I want my ISP to upgrade and they just did last year!

I actually chose not to download Musashi series! :lol It was tough..... I figured that with Toshiie to Matsu files coming out every three days and with okumasama uploading 3 gigs of files a week, I'd cut something on the first run!

Okumasama rocks! My torrent client has been busy with areia creations files. :P

Carn

Post by Carn » Feb 15th, '05, 06:04

For me, it's not bandwidth but hard disk space! Since I can't back up stuff that often, it's hard to choose which series I want to download. =D

dmorgan: Rest assured that if and when you decide to download Musashi, I will seed it for you ^_~

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 15th, '05, 14:42

dmorgan wrote:Just because it is seeded once, doesn't mean that it will never get seeded again. jholic will be happy to allow the same series as a vss many times down the road.
exact-a-mundo, DM! as the thread implies, seeding is completely voluntary. kudos to pucca who has been seeding phoenix since the dawn of time - she extended her seeding schedule to accomodate requests.

for other people, perhaps they love a series, and will re-seed it like once every month. it's really up to them.

someone suggested 'adopt-a-series' to me. it involves taking a series, and just reseeding it time and time again. the only downside to this would be that people would start 'expecting' you to reseed the series. it's possible completed dl'ers may not stay.

we could, however, take an adaption of 'adopt-a-series', and turn it into 'series: the next generation'. i fully believe that if you're seeded, you should make some effort to give back what people have shared with you. a good example of this is how Kakashi-sensei, dm, and LordGus (and others) were kind enough to seed the 'ring' series for me. now, i have 'adopted' it, and it is my vss. 'series: the next generation' is already alive and well. when i have completed my vss, perhaps someone can take the 'ring' and make it his/her vss in a few weeks.

:D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 16th, '05, 11:00

please welcome our newest vss member: blakmetalik

blakmetalik is seeding 'golden bowl' on the JEM tracker

(at the moment of writing, it looks like tracker could be down, but should be back up soon!)

thanks!

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Feb 16th, '05, 11:24

Could anyone please, please take up Loving You (jem) for VSS? It's so hard to get seeds for it! I have episodes 1-10 completed & we could seed them together. I just need episodes 11-16, and I was hanging on for months & months to get them, but after a while I just gave up. X__x I'd really like to finish this series (though I probably would've to rewatch it after losing touch with the story after so long). Hope somebody would step up to help. I'm sure there are other people stuck on this series too.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 17th, '05, 15:47

Jannah: i hope someone will be able to answer your request OR at least pm you. you could always start a TEAM VSS. (you seed the first half, they seed the second?)

please welcome PHINN to the vss team.

he will be seeding 'kinpachi sensei season six'

please help him out by staying on if you complete.

dmorgan

Post by dmorgan » Feb 17th, '05, 17:33

I love the new banner! The Matrix theme is so good. Reloaded.... :cheers:

jrudiman

Post by jrudiman » Feb 17th, '05, 17:48

VSS is getting bigger and bigger every week! thanks to all who are making it possible :notworthy:

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Feb 17th, '05, 18:08

jholic - Love what you've done with the VSS banner on the Torrent Index page. :wub: Not only did you put up a link to the VSS thread, you even thought of a way to show all the current VSS series without taking up a lot of room. And The Matrix Reloaded is a perfect design. Thanks for the great job!! :salut:

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Feb 17th, '05, 18:31

jholic wrote:Jannah: i hope someone will be able to answer your request OR at least pm you. you could always start a TEAM VSS. (you seed the first half, they seed the second?)
Yeah, I was thinking of something along that lines as well. Chunu is currently reseeding the series bit by bit, so hopefully I can get the series completed & start a Loving You VSS when I'm free. :D

blakmetalik

Post by blakmetalik » Feb 17th, '05, 20:39

Love the vss banner! I was like, "woah, dude!" (doing my best Keanu impression)

Scyth3r

Post by Scyth3r » Feb 17th, '05, 22:05

I'm sorry but I have to say that banner is ugly and annoying. :P Doesn't match at all, and nothing is worse than large animations.

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by amrayu » Feb 17th, '05, 22:11

Scyth3r wrote:I'm sorry but I have to say that banner is ugly and annoying. :P Doesn't match at all, and nothing is worse than large animations.
hm... i have to agree too. :roll
Follow SARS-Fansubs on Twitter now!
Get up-to-date info on dramas and fansubbing!

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Feb 17th, '05, 22:12

Scyth3r wrote:I'm sorry but I have to say that banner is ugly and annoying. :P Doesn't match at all, and nothing is worse than large animations.
jholic, your VSS idea seems to be taking off very well. Congrats on that. But I have to agree with Scyther on the banner. I sincerely think it's way too big and the animation really is an annoying distraction to the rest of the page. I can appreciate your desire to bring attention to VSS, but animation is not the way to go.

Carn

Post by Carn » Feb 17th, '05, 23:01

I really like the concept of the banner! ^_^ It's very awesome. But the text is a little "HUAH! :crazy:" Maybe you could rework the banner a little?

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Feb 17th, '05, 23:21

Oh, i'm glad i'm not the first to say it, but yes i think the banner is too large...I get nauseous easily, and the banner makes me sick when I go to the index :-( And I don't mean nauseous because it's ugly (i don't think it's ugly, hehe, it causes me to have motion sickness) it's a bit too large, so that even if i'm not looking directly at it on the index, i still see it moving)...if it were smaller, then i could probably handle it :wink: Is there a way i can turn that off...so at least I won't see the banner moving, or at all when i go to the index? Haha, you know what i started doing? When i go to the index, i quickly scroll down before the banner loads :D It works for me that way :wink: !

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 18th, '05, 04:10

ok I made it smaller, what do you think? Still too big or ok now?

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Feb 18th, '05, 04:30

Catchy. Dramas reloaded :lol Nice banner. It is a bit flashy...the lettering would look better if it were anti-aliased.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Feb 18th, '05, 05:33

Ruroshin wrote:ok I made it smaller, what do you think? Still too big or ok now?
ok now...thanks a lot :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 18th, '05, 06:54

for those who didn't like the banner, i apologize for the inconvenience. it was a preliminary thing that i submitted. Ruro gave me a dimension of 60px in height, and as wide as i want. so i chose something that would fill the area beneath the three banners.

the font is 'matrix.ttf' to match the theme of the banner. guess i could've used a better color? or maybe just disregarded the font altogether?

i took hours putting together the banner since i didn't know how to make an animated gif through photoshop. (a big THANKS goes out to 'lilaznldy' for her short tutorial written in the 'd-addicts banner competition thread' (pg11).) i probably should have taken a little longer before submitting it, but i knew this would bring some quick feedback.

the reason why i wanted to make an animated gif is to scroll through the info. there may be times when there are 15 vss's and times when there are only 3. what i could not do - and probably the cause of the complaints - is create a passive transition (like dissolve) and i also made the error of scrolling the frames too quickly.

the quick scrolling probably causes pucca's sickness (i also have bad motion sickness, so i can sympathize). and i also notice that some of the pixels stay behind when the frame disappears, giving it a pretty messy look.

for those of you who DID like the banner, i'm happy to hear it. one of the most important factors was the ability to add/remove frames in a reasonable amount of time. i would need to change frames as new vss's are added/removed. i know how to do that now. it's not 'duck-soup', but it's not extremely difficult either.

i'll see if i can improve on the design when i get home, and i appreciate the feedback. if any banner experts (animetama, pucca, Kai Lien, etc.) wants to give me a few pointers, i'm fully open to them.

thanks again!

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Feb 18th, '05, 07:07

Just curious jholic, but do you plan on pm'ing Ruro every time there's a change in seeders for the VSS? Wouldn't that be somewhat inconvenient? :unsure: I think a generalized banner linking to the VSS thread would be somewhat more efficient and less hasslesome, but that's just my two cents.

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » Feb 18th, '05, 07:23

iceberri wrote:Just curious jholic, but do you plan on pm'ing Ruro every time there's a change in seeders for the VSS? Wouldn't that be somewhat inconvenient? :unsure: I think a generalized banner linking to the VSS thread would be somewhat more efficient and less hasslesome, but that's just my two cents.
no need to PM shin-chan, he can just upload a new banner and name it the same as the previous.. and he can upload a new banner a day if the vss details changes everyday..
means you'll get real good at making banners fast jholic :lol hehe
    <33333

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 18th, '05, 07:26

iceberri wrote:Just curious jholic, but do you plan on pm'ing Ruro every time there's a change in seeders for the VSS? Wouldn't that be somewhat inconvenient? :unsure: I think a generalized banner linking to the VSS thread would be somewhat more efficient and less hasslesome, but that's just my two cents.
you bring up a good point. i wrestled with this issue. if i were to put in an banner every time i received a vss, i'd have to bother Ruro about it.

YET, if i were to just put up a static banner, eventually, people would stop clicking on it. how would they know if anything was added?

Ruro, being the mind-reader that he is, solved all that. he gave me a link to which i could just update the banner by myself.

thanks for bringing up the issue. :-)

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 18th, '05, 07:29

Here's an idea, make a banner that is light in color so that it could be a background banner then you could make text scroll through up/down/across it using marquee. Make this a html page and I could insert it as an iframe. That way you don't need to bust open photoshop everytime you need to change a series, just edit html and modify text.

How's your html skills? :-)
Last edited by Ruroshin on Feb 18th, '05, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Feb 18th, '05, 07:30

jholic wrote:it was a preliminary thing that i submitted
well great job on trying out gifs...I have to say, simply making the banner helped my discomfort a lot...so i think the banner is fine now. I love the theme...Dramas Reloaded! So the design makes sense.

If you want to play around w/ the font design/color that's cool, but it seems fine the way it is now.

here's some ideas:

1. Use white font w/ a green background under the font w/ a low opacity so you can see the graphics background a little (similar to the DVDs)
*note you may have to play around w/ this one because i'm not sure how a moving graphic will turn out if the solid colors behind the font will change with sizes and may not be so nice after all.

2. Use white font w/ a blue glow affect that has a low opacity (the opacity allows the blue glow and the green background to blend well).

3. Want to change the font all together? dafont has some scifi fonts, http://dafont.com/en/theme.php?cat=303& ... s+Reloaded

But i think it's okay now, if you want to play around w/ it jholic, i hope the suggestions may help.

I haven't created gifs since 2000! It seemed so much easier back them :wink: