What do you like more: j-dramas or k-dramas

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

Which do you like more: j-dramas or k-dramas?

j-dramas a lot more
266
40%
j-dramas a little more
34
5%
both equally
52
8%
both equally
52
8%
k-dramas a little more
72
11%
k-dramas a lot more
193
29%
 
Total votes: 669

User avatar
Pale-MuN
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 22nd, '04, 15:00
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Pale-MuN » Mar 1st, '05, 13:53

:o wow.. I'm suprised.. why is it jdramas?.. :/ hmm.. they're.. .-.; well.. not romantic and stuff ..

apples
Posts: 322
Joined: Oct 10th, '04, 11:17
Location: usa

Post by apples » Mar 1st, '05, 18:39

if romance means chasing each other throughout 20 episodes or so because the antagonist is conspiring something, then jdrama probably isn't romantic. from what i've seen in some jdramas, two couple show their love by being there for each other.. for doing things that shows how much they love someone.. they do not confess their love and then out of blue, they start hurting the other party claiming they have to sacrifice their relationship for what they think is "right".

there are some really good kdramas, but others are simply overated.

User avatar
Pale-MuN
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 22nd, '04, 15:00
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Pale-MuN » Mar 1st, '05, 21:35

apples wrote:if romance means chasing each other throughout 20 episodes or so because the antagonist is conspiring something, then jdrama probably isn't romantic. from what i've seen in some jdramas, two couple show their love by being there for each other.. for doing things that shows how much they love someone.. they do not confess their love and then out of blue, they start hurting the other party claiming they have to sacrifice their relationship for what they think is "right".

there are some really good kdramas, but others are simply overated.
Yeah, but I what I meant is most Jdramas aren't about stuff like that.. Most summaries I've read sound just the stupidest thing to watch. I can't really explain, but you've read those right? I've only seen one jdrama, and the summary made me want to see it, and.. well.. It was so-so. It could of lasted longer. Buut~ And I've also read another summary that seemed good, but most of the ones I read aren't about anything like that.. or if they are.. they make is sound so stupid or something.. ._.; Yeah..

Plus, even if Kdramas do that.. I dunno.. o_o They're just so addicting..

User avatar
jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 484
Joined: Apr 20th, '04, 01:34
Location: BC, Canada
Contact:

Post by jaycee05 » Mar 2nd, '05, 00:54

KDRAMAs
*STH=Amnesia + Cancer + eye disorder of some sort
*AT= Cancer(Leukemia)
*STLD=+++Amnesia
*WS=Amnesia + another eye disorder
*SS=another disease that i forgot
*BD= cancer(Leukemia)
*LGTS = Cancer(?Leukemia)
*MiSa = Heart and Brain implications
*MLP= KRW's character is sick here, right?
*LL= not sure wat's the illness here, but i know there is one
*ROYOW = tumor
**NEW18:29=amnesia
PaLe-Mun wrote:Yeah, but I what I meant is most Jdramas aren't about stuff like that.. Most summaries I've read sound just the stupidest thing to watch.
one summary would suffice for all these dramas if they would follow a j-drama's synopsis pattern...
this goes beyond stupidity
PaLe-Mun wrote:Plus, even if Kdramas do that.. I dunno.. o_o They're just so addicting..
give it a couple more years, and u'll soon hit maturity



pls feel free to add more in the list :-)

edit by iceberri: quoted the entire thing because the white was still very visible against the blue background. That list is like.. spoiler heaven. @_____@

jdw112
Posts: 53
Joined: Dec 15th, '04, 19:05
Location: New York City

J dramas

Post by jdw112 » Mar 2nd, '05, 01:01

I like J dramas more. However, I thoroughly enjoy both. I find that J dramas do not drag out storylines as much as K dramas tend to. I think the acting in J dramas is better as well. A lot of overacting in both, but some K dramas are beyond the absurd.
Could someone please seed Shota no Sushi 13, 15, & 16. Arigato!

User avatar
jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 484
Joined: Apr 20th, '04, 01:34
Location: BC, Canada
Contact:

Post by jaycee05 » Mar 2nd, '05, 01:04

^oh thanks ice, I was actually figuring the color code for the background...forgot there's an easier way :mrgreen:

User avatar
dofuagedashi
Posts: 14
Joined: Dec 24th, '03, 19:12
Location: The Big Apple

j-drama

Post by dofuagedashi » Mar 2nd, '05, 01:17

I like j-drama a lot more. The length is usually just right (10-12 episodes), usually not so much of a tear jerker (I hate tear jerkers), and not so melodramatic and stereotype like k-dramas...(cancer, dying, etc etc.)

Moenyc2000
Posts: 88
Joined: Jan 25th, '05, 05:17
Location: NY

Post by Moenyc2000 » Mar 2nd, '05, 01:21

werd to big bird dofuagedashi
“I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion”

---Thoreau

apples
Posts: 322
Joined: Oct 10th, '04, 11:17
Location: usa

Post by apples » Mar 2nd, '05, 05:56

jaycee05 wrote:
PaLe-Mun wrote:Plus, even if Kdramas do that.. I dunno.. o_o They're just so addicting..
give it a couple more years, and u'll soon hit maturity
i too thought it didn't matter until i watched Autumn Tale, followed by the second half of Stairway to Heaven. :crazy: I then started to download more jdorama (cnt give up kdrama hoping there's stuff jst like WHIB/Damo/FullHouse/etc). it has been only a few months since i started the whole drama thing, and i still have to stumble on a ridiculous jdorama. so far, no success. :D

apples
Posts: 322
Joined: Oct 10th, '04, 11:17
Location: usa

Post by apples » Mar 2nd, '05, 06:00

Pale-MuN wrote:
Yeah, but I what I meant is most Jdramas aren't about stuff like that.. Most summaries I've read sound just the stupidest thing to watch. I can't really explain, but you've read those right? .
i read some... just to determine which jdramas to download first.. but it all depended on the number of seeds. if it's being seeded, i didn't care reading about the summary (cos after reading a lot i can't remember mostl of it). i just download whatever is available. fortunately, i like each one that i have watched so far.

User avatar
BT-Slut
Posts: 212
Joined: Apr 8th, '04, 09:33
Location: China
Contact:

Post by BT-Slut » Mar 3rd, '05, 00:14

Pale-MuN wrote::o wow.. I'm suprised.. why is it jdramas?.. :/ hmm.. they're.. .-.; well.. not romantic and stuff ..
I'll make an observation, which is actually confirmed by an admission from a MOD on here, that the primary reason people watch k-dramas is for the eye-candy factor. The fangirls go crazy over the superficial male actors starring in all these k-dramas. And I suppose the guys watch the k-dramas also for the female eye candies. On the other hand, j-dramas are not always filled with beautiful eye candies. I don't watch much k-dramas, but when I do, it's only for the eye-candy factor; it's certainly not for the story or plotline as basically non-exists. For j-dramas, I definitely watch it for the storyline--they are much deeper and with much more substance.

jkbuddies
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 13th, '05, 08:35

Re: What do you like more: j-dramas or k-dramas

Post by jkbuddies » Mar 3rd, '05, 19:07

Beginning to like K-dramas more. Maybe its the novelty, maybe not, but I like it when men can express their emotions. Japanese men typically are admired for keeping their feelings to themselves. In Korean dramas the men express their feelings to their women, and CRY a lot, but are still manly.

Plus the music on K-dramas really tug at the heart strings a lot more than J-dramas. I never used to listen to music very much but now, almost constantly.

Oh, one last thing. K-dramas make you cry a lot. Great stress relief. But then again, I did cry bucket over Summer Snow.... so I guess it must be the music.

User avatar
Pale-MuN
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 22nd, '04, 15:00
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Pale-MuN » Mar 3rd, '05, 19:38

apples wrote:
Pale-MuN wrote:
Yeah, but I what I meant is most Jdramas aren't about stuff like that.. Most summaries I've read sound just the stupidest thing to watch. I can't really explain, but you've read those right? .
i read some... just to determine which jdramas to download first.. but it all depended on the number of seeds. if it's being seeded, i didn't care reading about the summary (cos after reading a lot i can't remember mostl of it). i just download whatever is available. fortunately, i like each one that i have watched so far.
:o Yeah.. but I always read summaries for everything, lol. I wish I could just download whatever, but I have to make sure that it sounds good, because I don't have much disc space and my cd burner is broken. :/

User avatar
Pale-MuN
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 22nd, '04, 15:00
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Pale-MuN » Mar 3rd, '05, 19:40

BT-Slut wrote:
Pale-MuN wrote::o wow.. I'm suprised.. why is it jdramas?.. :/ hmm.. they're.. .-.; well.. not romantic and stuff ..
I'll make an observation, which is actually confirmed by an admission from a MOD on here, that the primary reason people watch k-dramas is for the eye-candy factor. The fangirls go crazy over the superficial male actors starring in all these k-dramas. And I suppose the guys watch the k-dramas also for the female eye candies. On the other hand, j-dramas are not always filled with beautiful eye candies. I don't watch much k-dramas, but when I do, it's only for the eye-candy factor; it's certainly not for the story or plotline as basically non-exists. For j-dramas, I definitely watch it for the storyline--they are much deeper and with much more substance.
:o Wow.. I never knew that many people watch Kdramas for that reason. The main reason that I watch them is for the romance. :o I think that kdramas have really good stories, actually.

enigma88
Posts: 5
Joined: Dec 3rd, '04, 19:12
Location: Seattle, Wa

Post by enigma88 » Mar 3rd, '05, 19:47

I find it very interesting that people generalize so much about k-dramas being melodramatic and stereotypical, with all the amnesia, cancer, leukemia, etc.
While this is somewhat true, I've seen J-dramas that contained the same things...

I'd like to point out that there are a lot of j-dramas as well as k-dramas that have not aired here in the US, as well as drama that Have NEVER been made available on the internet either.

I find it rather annoying that a lot of you go about stereotyping without having seen all there is to see.
Someone also mentioned that korean dramas have absurd storylines, aka Full HOuse...full house was based on a korean manhwa...its suppose to be absurd. and if you want absurd watch the J drama Kimi wa Petto "you are my pet"......thats another absurd drama.


On another note...I found that those who work on the japanese drama subs do an excellent job (good job guys and gals), but korean subs are so...well...lacking. I've enjoyed Touya subs...but other than that they take out all the prose out of the language...its really sad. (but still good job...i understand the time it took you guys for the svc of others)

As for me I tend to prefer K dramas a lot more. It might be precisely because the K-dramas I have seen have none of the "stereotypical" plotlines. I've seen sandglass, what happened in Bali, I'm sorry I love YOu, Biryun (excellent drama), snow flower (my fav.), KKoci (awesome), and etc.

While I do love my j dramas, the acting is a bit stiff for me....and too short. but also because I haven't seen a j drama that made me crave for more.

pankanshe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mar 7th, '04, 17:55
Location: California

Post by pankanshe » Mar 4th, '05, 01:50

Simply... J-dramas are more interesting and less predictable.

User avatar
Sana
Posts: 92
Joined: Apr 11th, '04, 23:29

Post by Sana » Mar 4th, '05, 02:19

jaycee05 wrote:
KDRAMAs
*STH=Amnesia + Cancer + eye disorder of some sort
*AT= Cancer(Leukemia)
*STLD=+++Amnesia
*WS=Amnesia + another eye disorder
*SS=another disease that i forgot
*BD= cancer(Leukemia)
*LGTS = Cancer(?Leukemia)
*MiSa = Heart and Brain implications
*MLP= KRW's character is sick here, right?
*LL= not sure wat's the illness here, but i know there is one
*ROYOW = tumor
**NEW18:29=amnesia
This list made me laugh (the kind of boisterous laugh that warms the heart and heals the soul).
enigma88 wrote: and if you want absurd watch the J drama Kimi wa Petto "you are my pet"......thats another absurd drama.
It was an awesome drama. I wouldn't mind watching that again (can't say the same for K-dramas though).

User avatar
thaigerl
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 4th, '04, 09:57

Post by thaigerl » Mar 6th, '05, 18:04

I prefer J-dramas a lot more because they have their genki and their kanashi moments. K-dramas tend to be more sad and that can be annoying. Makes life seem like it's a tragedy in itself. Plus in J-dramas, I like the girls equally as the boys, I can't say the same for k-drama however. The only reason I watch is IF the plot is remotely good or a cute guy stars but nothing else.

sillypanda114
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 45
Joined: Jan 4th, '05, 00:47

Post by sillypanda114 » Mar 8th, '05, 05:14

I'd have to say it's between "j dramas a little more" and "equally the same." Most of the jdramas I've watched (GTO, Gokusen, Kimi wa Petto) aren't really sad and don't have an overused "girl dies from some malignant disease/heart failure" plot. Then there's the really poignant dramas like Beautiful Life, Summer Snow (sorta), and some other ones that I cant remember at the moment... Many of the actors in these dramas also play characters in other happy and not so dramatic series, and they are able to play all of the characters so well. So I guess I like jdramas for the variety in plot and the talent of the actors.

But then there's the little part of me that loves the overused plots for who knows what reason. Korean dramas are often the cutesy love story or the somehow heartwrenching show even thought the viewers already know the ending just by watching the first couple of episodes.

:shrug: I've been watching jdramas more, recently, so maybe that's also why I'm leaning towards japanese stuff.

User avatar
azn_wrx
Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 4th, '05, 01:29
Location: Southern California

Post by azn_wrx » Mar 8th, '05, 05:24

J-drama for me only :w00t:
My Fairlady 240z
The Datsun Legend lives on

Miss Lexxy GS300

User avatar
gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1181
Joined: Dec 28th, '04, 18:56
Location: PL

Post by gunjourui » Mar 8th, '05, 18:47

I prefer J-dorama a lot more coz I started from J-dorama to improve my language skills :rambo:
but as I watched a few eps I stoped thinking about language and got really excited about the story ...and the guys playing there :wub:
About K-dorama...I'm just starting but maybe I'll fall in love with it as well ..who knows..
but so far J-dorama rulezzzzz
Image Image
supporting Kanju

User avatar
kaname
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 19th, '04, 23:35
Location: washington dc

JDORAMAS!!!!!!!

Post by kaname » Mar 14th, '05, 14:34

While I like both I find myself more drawn to the Japanese stories in that for the most part they are more believable....to me at least. They do seem to evoke more real life drama and romance. My emotions are churned more by the Japanese dramas than by the Korean. Perhaps, as has beren suggested elsewhere, the Korean dramas being more "open" do not allow for the internal build-up of feelings that a more "closed" cultural identity does.

And, of course for me, I love the eye candy in both......after all isn't it all about the eye candy?
IF THERE WERE NO WOMEN IN THE WORLD WHAT A MISERABLE EXISTENCE THIS WOULD BE (not to mention none of us would be here....THANKS MOM!!!)

User avatar
~waterdrops~
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 15th, '05, 17:52

Post by ~waterdrops~ » Mar 15th, '05, 17:59

What do decide? Both has good ones and bad ones :) :)

Annae
Posts: 40
Joined: Jan 17th, '05, 23:42

Post by Annae » Mar 18th, '05, 05:50

watch more korean... somtimes japanese get annoying... :unsure:
currently watching: ... Goong :dance: :clap: :thumright: FIGHTING!!
thanks Ruroshin, mods and seeders for just a GREAT site!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

kuraizie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mar 9th, '05, 03:27
Location: VanCity

Post by kuraizie » Mar 18th, '05, 05:55

id have to say i prefer j-dramas much much more o_o;;
kdramas are always so melodramatic and someone always dies..usually the girl..gets tedious to watch, and theyre really long too o__o
i prefer jdramas since theres a lot of variety. i like comedic dramas more and the japanese have got those down to a science..and their more serious emotionally-driven dramas arent over-the-top and are believable..so jdramas for me!

Sassy Man
Posts: 63
Joined: Jan 17th, '05, 22:14
Location: Down under

Post by Sassy Man » Mar 18th, '05, 06:03

now this is what i don't understand.

the stats show jap dramas are more popular than kor dramas.

but on this site, why are there almost twice as more posts re kor dramas than jap dramas?

who knows?
who cares?
I sure as hell don't.

only J drama I've seen is 'Oshin' many many moons ago. good stuff.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 559
Joined: Jan 18th, '04, 15:37
Location: New Jersey

Post by iceberri » Mar 19th, '05, 04:09

Sassy Man wrote:the stats show jap dramas are more popular than kor dramas.
They're actually about equal if you add the Jdramas only + Jdramas a little more, and the Kdramas only + Kdramas a little more together. They total around 141-142 each, which is pretty cool statistically that it worked out like that. ^_^

User avatar
mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1370
Joined: Apr 13th, '04, 15:59
Location: California

Post by mangosteen » Mar 19th, '05, 04:13

I vote for kdramas. Haven't tried Jdramas except some old drama like Under the same roof, Tokyo love story, and Lucky star. I don't like Jdramas though 8)

User avatar
amyliaz
Posts: 11
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 12:09
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by amyliaz » Mar 29th, '05, 21:27

K-dramas a LOT more. Just my preference. :D JDramas are not that appealing to me. Only watched Summer Snow. And it did not make me want to catch more J-dramas.

User avatar
zeess
Posts: 35
Joined: Oct 15th, '04, 17:23

Post by zeess » Mar 29th, '05, 21:34

:cheers: :cheers: more more more Kdrama :cheers: :cheers:

:wub: definitively kdrama :wub:

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Mar 29th, '05, 22:16

kuraizie wrote:kdramas are always so melodramatic and someone always dies..
I don't think I've ever publicly offered my analysis of the K/J-drama correlation. So here goes...

From what I've been told by others, people die in Korean dramas because it's the number-one test of pure love, which the Japanese refer to as jun-ai. If you have to blame a particular person for jun-ai, blame William Shakespeare. Some of his tragedies were based on the concept. If Bill was alive today, he'd be writing K-dramas.

In order to prove jun-ai in a relationship, there are a number of obsticles a couple must face. And, it seems that K-dramas need for their couples to face various tragedies like diseases, death, among other things as tests of jun-ai. If you think about it, what are the top-2 tragedies that would totally hit you like a ton of bricks? Cheating? Nah! You can survive that. Breaking up because of a third person? Just get even with that person - end of story. Diseases and death - there, now you have to be an android if you're able to handle those two issues with ease.

Also, the Japanese culture are so caught up in first love relationships, referred to as hatsukoi. They embrace hatsukoi so much, both men and women alike. The popularity of a K-drama among the Japanese viewers increase when hatsukoi is combined with jun-ai. The result is the K-dramas using the same basic formulas that the fans demand when dealing with jun-ai. So basically, a first love dying is the Mount Everest of tragedy to a Japanese K-drama fan.

What I've also been told is that the Japanese men (and probably most males all over the world) do not fall for jun-ai. In one article I read, they consider a male confessing their love to a female as being enough. I think American males are the same way... You see this practice on American TV a lot. "Yeah, I told her I love her, but it doesn't seem enough for her. What the hell else can I do????" Taking love any step further for a male would make him a wimp or a loser.

On the other hand, the female wants more emotion. In America, many women, including my mother, get their load of emotion and jun-ai content via daytime soap operas, Harliquim novels, and Jaclyn Smith mini-series. That's why there are at least two TV networks dedicated to women. In Japan, it may be more difficult to get jun-ai from basic TV... If you look at the many Japanese dramas, they're written by men, so most of the time you get Japanese dramas written on a male perspective. It seems that the Korean writers figured these patterns out, so a lot more weight on jun-ai is placed in the writing of K-dramas.

As a result, the Japanese women are getting their load of jun-ai from K-dramas. Japanese men seem to be fine with the usual kokuru you see in Japanese dramas.

As for my choice, I chose Japanese Dramas A LOT. Matter of fact, I watch J-dramas exclusively. When I scan the TV channels, I rapidly hit the channel button when I'm near Channel 4 (KBFD-TV). LOL!

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

User avatar
Spike23
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 9th, '04, 16:21
Location: LAND OF CARROTS

Post by Spike23 » Mar 29th, '05, 22:29

I also like J dramas however
I like Kdramas the most.

User avatar
Hinakun
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 22nd, '04, 19:19
Location: California

Post by Hinakun » Mar 29th, '05, 22:34

byagi wrote:Let me jump into this topic, I watch 95% JDramas simply because when I watched Winter Sonata and Autumn Tale, I felt it was totally ridiculous (no insult, my harsh opinion). I watched Winter Sonata, and I could not watch episode 11 and beyond simply because the main girl does not know what the heck she's doing.
I gotta join this discussion now. Definitely jdrama alot more. I just finished WS lately and i felt the same way. I have heard WS really good and sad so i gave it a try as making myself to finish the series. Honestly i think WS would be great if its a 2-3 parts movies. it had great sadness scenes and marvelous sceneries alright but also tried so hard to SET them tho. Not smooth at all~ I couldnt finish Autumn's Tale and Summer scents for that matter before. But I like Korean Movies more... perfect in all matter. I think most kdramas would have been ALOT better if they've shorten them.

scott12199
Posts: 302
Joined: Feb 25th, '05, 01:13
Location: Somewhere in California

Post by scott12199 » Mar 29th, '05, 22:44

k drama

User avatar
:bunny:
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 220
Joined: Feb 16th, '05, 03:03

Post by :bunny: » Mar 29th, '05, 23:27

i happen to wuff jdorama so much :wub: :wub: :wub:

User avatar
Hinakun
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 22nd, '04, 19:19
Location: California

Post by Hinakun » Mar 30th, '05, 00:03

BT-Slut wrote: I'd actually like to see some good k-dramas. But to date, it's all crap. I've only been able to sit through two entire dramas: Hotelier and Full House. And only because of KPC. I tried Firebird and that got so morose. I tried First Love Prince and that was so contrived and stupid and had to stop watching it after 4 eps.
Try ALL ABOUT EVE. It's pretty good. my so far most fav kdrama.

User avatar
Paniolagirl
Posts: 61
Joined: Aug 17th, '04, 00:04

Post by Paniolagirl » Mar 30th, '05, 00:27

groink wrote: As for my choice, I chose Japanese Dramas A LOT. Matter of fact, I watch J-dramas exclusively. When I scan the TV channels, I rapidly hit the channel button when I'm near Channel 4 (KBFD-TV). LOL!
--- groink
I am just the opposite. I chose korean dramas A LOT. When I scan the TV channels, I rapidly hit the channel button when I'm near Channel 9 (KIKU-TV). LOL!

I been watching korean dramas for over 15 years now. But in that time I also have watched my share of japanese dramas. But in the past few years Kiku-tv has let me down. Very few new dramas and what is new does not interest me. Plus lets not mention the many repeats.. Now when I ever I tune to Kiku I am not sure if I'm watching UPN or KIKU-TV. So that channel is off my radar for now.

I spend what extra time I have here downloading korean dramas that are not being shown on Kbfd. If I was also to download japanese dramas I would never have any free time.

pankanshe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mar 7th, '04, 17:55
Location: California

Post by pankanshe » Mar 30th, '05, 00:31

I think K-drama was the reason I'm not an addict anymore :X. And I like your avatar, Hinakun. ^^

mikomi
Posts: 289
Joined: Mar 18th, '05, 14:27
Contact:

Post by mikomi » Mar 30th, '05, 02:56

I love Jdrama a lot more. Jdrama is usually short and has more varieties. I admit that I used to be addicted to Kdrama, but recently, I just couldn't get myself to watch more Kdrama. When I watch Kdrama, I feel like I'm rewatching some older dramas that I'd watched in the past. I'm female, but I think the melodramatic scenes in which two people are separated in Kdrama are really ridiculous and shallow. Take Stairways to Heaven as an example, I nearly broke my TV screen watching Ji Woo cried and cried when she knew she was going to die :x :crazy:
Image
Watching: JIN, Ohitorisama, Liar Game 2

User avatar
chant71
Posts: 10
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 15:20
Location: france

Post by chant71 » Mar 30th, '05, 12:22

i prefer kdrama but for the moment i never watch jdrama

User avatar
dofuagedashi
Posts: 14
Joined: Dec 24th, '03, 19:12
Location: The Big Apple

Post by dofuagedashi » Mar 30th, '05, 13:00

Hinakun wrote:Try ALL ABOUT EVE. It's pretty good. my so far most fav kdrama.
I've watched it and I thought it was pretty crappy...

hiyoko
Posts: 17
Joined: Jan 31st, '05, 03:04

Post by hiyoko » Apr 1st, '05, 00:27

i love J-DRAMA.

User avatar
chitato_80
Posts: 199
Joined: Mar 23rd, '05, 01:47

Post by chitato_80 » Apr 1st, '05, 01:33

I started watching jdrama much much earlier than kdrama, but I still prefer Kdrama.

I only started watching kdrama around 3 years ago and have been hooked until now. I probably have not watched as many as most people on D-addicts though :P I'm saying this because I just found this forum 2 weeks ago hehehe.

I watched jdrama in 1994-1997 days (Tokyo Love Story, Under the same roof, 101 proposal, Anything For You, etc ) . I only watched 1 jdrama in recent years, it was Shotgun Marriage, so I 'm not sure if my opinion is valid or not, but I think generally Jdrama stories are much simpler than Kdrama or Cdramas. Those jdramas that I watched in the old days, the whole series were usually set inside an apartment, or a restaurant, etc, Pretty much indoor, and the casts not as many, there were usually fewer characters (boyfriend, girlfriend, several friends).

But kdrama or Cdrama usually shows more people in the story (involving mom, dad, uncle, inlaws, coworkers, etc), and the settings also varied (think WInter Sonata, All In), and the story more complex.

[/i]

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Apr 1st, '05, 01:47

chitato_80 wrote:But kdrama or Cdrama usually shows more people in the story (involving mom, dad, uncle, inlaws, coworkers, etc), and the settings also varied (think Autumn Tale, All In), and the story more complex.
It's too bad the J-drama Wataru seiken wa oni bakari isn't being shared/traded by anyone. That drama would fit every criteria you like: heavy involvement and microscopic view of all family members, typical Japanese family-related topics, and problems of all age levels (teens, young adults, middle-aged, elderly, etc.) Very very popular among the 40+ folks in Japan, and has a good sized following in Hawaii (KIKU-TV named it Making It Through)and other parts lucky enough to get it.

Two issues with this drama among the younger folks:

1) It's too damn long (50 eps per season). And there's seven seasons worth, so we're looking at 350 45-minute episodes.

2) When the characters speak, THEY SPEAK... and speak... and speak... Not too unusual to have one character speak for two minutes straight, with VERY completely structured Japanese sentences. If anyone is interested in learning Japanese and is looking for a drama that has no language shortcuts or lingo, Wataru will fit the bill.

http://www.jdorama.com/drama.441.htm

EDIT - Forgot to mention that Ueto Aya was in the first few eps of Season 6.

--- groink

seneschal
Posts: 39
Joined: Jan 17th, '05, 06:01
Location: California

Jdrama

Post by seneschal » Apr 1st, '05, 02:03

I prefer Jdrama because I like to practice hearing the language and also because I lived in Japan before...

User avatar
Sangwoo-oppa
Posts: 92
Joined: Jan 25th, '05, 04:06
Location: Canada

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Apr 1st, '05, 02:13

I've watched more K-dramas than Doramas but I honestly like them both. They both have their flaws and their pros.

It really depends on what kind of series you're watching, I think. Everyone has different tastes and opinons and standards. Some series can appeal to you right away while others aren't as good. I know a lot of series that many love but I find it so over-rated such as STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN (Korean drama) or GTO (Dorama). It really depends on what it is that you'll like. I've seen plenty of series that I've hated, be it Korean dramas or Doramas. And yet, when there is a series that I do like, it will stay in my heart forever such as SUMMER SNOW, AUTUMN STORY, TAIYOU NO KISETSU and BRIGHT GIRL.

and I agree that Taiwanese series are under-rated. MARS is flat-out the BEST series I've ever seen, period. It has love, intrigue, mystery, insanity and realism to it that breaks my heart and has me crying out for more.

So, to me, it all depends on the script, the actinhg and the overall package of a series. If it's good, I'll continue watching it, regardless of it being Korean dramas, Taiwanese dramas or Doramas! That's why D-ADDICTS rocks because it has introduced me to sooo much diverse dramas all with Eng subs, which is amazing! YAY for D-ADDICTS! :P

Just my humble opinion!~
Currently obsessing about: :wub:
BYAKUYAKOU (thanks Amrayu-san & SARS)
XIAN JIAN (thanks Calicifer)

User avatar
Sangwoo-oppa
Posts: 92
Joined: Jan 25th, '05, 04:06
Location: Canada

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Apr 1st, '05, 02:17

Ooh btw, GROINK, I loved your analyis of doramas vs. Korean dramas. Very interesting...you did your research well! :P
Currently obsessing about: :wub:
BYAKUYAKOU (thanks Amrayu-san & SARS)
XIAN JIAN (thanks Calicifer)

busyizzy
Posts: 74
Joined: Oct 9th, '04, 21:41

Post by busyizzy » Apr 1st, '05, 18:42

I am slightly biased, but I adore my K-drama. I've been watching since I was in elementary school, and I suppose it holds sentimental value to me. I've actually been getting a bit bored with it - the dramas that people seem to love here I found dull, boring and drawn out (Stained Glass, Lovers in Paris, etc), but recently, I picked up 18:29 which seems to be a very cute and lighthearted series, and it's sparked my interest in k-drama again.

I do know myself that the story is overdone, that it's unrealistic how many lstar-struck lovers can overcome incest, cancer, etc etc etc .... but for me, it's really not the story. I know there's the good girl who will fall in love with one of the guys, I know there's a rival boy, a rival (usually bitchy) girl, and the story somehow involves the girl rising to the top .... and it can be fun to watch sometimes, but also somewhat tedious. For me, it's really much more about the actors, how they fit into and play their roles and how they interact. I also enjoy watching it for the dialogue; perhaps it's because I can't understand Japanese and so some of the things get lost in translation, but I love listening to the dialogue, despite how sometimes corny it can sounds. It still is very moving. But yes, many people have points about their complaints with k-drama, but you're also overlooking the good. I only read to page ... 4-5ish of this thread cuz it got somewhat repetitive, but I wanted to add something.

Also a note, Korea can be really superficial (and hey, I am Korean so no bashing me for saying this), and so the continuous big hits of Korea are relatively the same. I feel these are overrated, especially now (as I mentioned before, Stained Glass and Lovers in Paris - god, I couldn't even finish Lovers in Paris because it got so boring), but there are some really nice shows that people do not hear of that I think are really quite cute and nice to watch. But meh. That is me. xD

Sakado
Posts: 103
Joined: Feb 11th, '05, 06:16
Location: California

Post by Sakado » Apr 1st, '05, 20:04

I think i like Jdrama and kdrama equally. I've watched more kdrama, but i like to alternate cuz lot of kdrama are tearjeakers and little bit too cliche while jdrama are sometime unrealistic.

User avatar
Kayote
Posts: 81
Joined: Feb 1st, '05, 00:16
Location: London

Post by Kayote » Apr 1st, '05, 20:26

I started on Jdramas because they were introduced on Sharereactor but recently Ive seen some awesome kdramas and Im inclined to say, Koreans are coming up with some excellent storylines which most jdramas appear to be lacking...

Kay

petejunk97
Posts: 4
Joined: Apr 3rd, '05, 00:20

Post by petejunk97 » Apr 3rd, '05, 00:26

k-dramas have kuter girls.... so i say K-DRAMAS

applepie
Posts: 1
Joined: Feb 17th, '05, 01:33

Post by applepie » Apr 3rd, '05, 00:40

I like K-dramas a lot more because I think J-dramas are boring xD Besides, I think K-dramas are more emotional. Maybe I'm just bad luck at finding a good J-drama =\

User avatar
nikeg
Posts: 130
Joined: Jan 18th, '05, 06:42
Location: Hometown Honolulu baby!

Post by nikeg » Apr 4th, '05, 01:12

kdramas of course.. i was surprised that jdramas seem to be popular b/c ive never heard of any until daddicts... korean dramas have more ... DRAMA.... and they also have very hot actresses and cool actors... i also found it funny that some jdramas take korean actors to act in their dramas haha.... im japanese but the only japanese thing i really care for is jap food and anime... leave the drama department to the koreans :mrgreen:
Watching:Emperor of the Sea 23/52*dormant* Wedding 2/16*dormant* Over The Rainbow 2/16 GTO 2/11

Image
ParkHanByul-Boa-ChaeRim-Eunhye-HanGaIn-JJH-Hyori-LeeYeonHee-SonYejin-Yuri

himeko
Posts: 50
Joined: Aug 19th, '04, 03:09

Post by himeko » Apr 4th, '05, 02:52

i like kdramas a lot more ! i don't know why, i just love how emotional i can get when i watch a good kdrama tearjerker :) plus, manyyyyy hot korean guys to keep my eyes peeled to my screen!

bbgirl03
Posts: 149
Joined: Mar 3rd, '04, 06:50

Post by bbgirl03 » Apr 4th, '05, 16:35

i like kdrama's now . but i think kdramas are really unrealistic unlike jdramas

User avatar
aoi_hana
Posts: 86
Joined: Feb 25th, '05, 05:42
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Post by aoi_hana » Apr 6th, '05, 16:31

I like J-dramas much more because I find Korean dramas to be too depressing. That said, a lot of J-dramas are tear jerkers as well... but I like the plots/characters in dorama much better.

Plus, I like listening to Japanese because I'm studying it. I get happy when I can understand certain words or phrases. :-)
Currently Addicted to: Densha Otoko, Lunch Queen, Boko Dake no Madonna :wub:

Image

User avatar
Akiramike
Posts: 934
Joined: Jan 4th, '04, 18:55
Location: Australia
Contact:
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Apr 10th, '05, 13:48

I've watched a lot of jdramas over the past 2 1/2 years and they continue to be my number one addictsion. :D I've only seen parts of two kdramas when I was back in Malaysia and it was all about the girls crying to the guys, crying by themselves etc.

However, I have watched a lot of Korean (and Japanese) movies. A lot of them seem to be variations of the 'My Sassy Girl' formula. But still I crave some korean romance once in a while, as only the Koreans can do it and keep coming back for more, and usually end up disappointed.

Here are the reasons why I won't be watching kdramas anytime soon (some over generalisations):

1) Probably my biggest reason. Jdramas are short and succint. 10-12 eps to tell a story. 20+ eps is way to long and there are going to be filler eps (filler eps are the worst thing about anime and why I hardly watch it now). If Kdramas were shorter I would give them a go but 2 hours of kmovie melodrama is enough for me.

Some Jdramas would have been much better if shortened to less than 10 eps. When doing 20+ eps it means that the writer(s) must put in even more twists and turns, dumb plot devices and repeating scenarios to take up the space.

2) Comedy. As someone who used to watch tons of anime, I find Japanese comedy funnier. I would like to compare two examples of 'teen comedy' though one is jdrama and 2 are kmovies. Korean movies Mojunggi and Sex is Zero are teen comedies similar to American pie, lots of gross out sex jokes involving teens. On the other side, there's Stand Up which uses no gross out jokes but is so much funnier and talks about the hypocrisy of adults in their teaching of teens about sex.

Lots of comedians act in jdramas and IMHO, the best jdramas have some element of comedy in them.

3) Variety. There are 6 main categories in jdrama:
a) serious relationship drama
b) romantic comedy drama
c) family drama
d) mystery/ thriller drama
e) occupational drama ie about a certain line of work
f) taiga/ historical drama

A lot of jdramas are a mix of the first 5 categories and keeps the dramas from getting too melodramatic/mushy etc.

4) Japanese actresses (generally) look cute when angry and Korean ones are scary, that is until they like the main character. (ie Hirosue Ryoko. I blame all the fierce and scary looking Kgirls on the success of My Sassy Girl)

5) Guys in kmovies are pussies. Dunno whether this applies to kdramas or not.

6) Kdramas: crying, more crying and more crying. Though there are jdramas which have lots of crying as well but at least they're at most 12 eps and usually have comedy in them to break up the melodrama. :)

7) All Korean actress have the same look with long straight hair.

I am surprised to see a division between jdrama and kdrama viewers. I thought there would be quite a large number who enjoy both. I think Groink has a point that this may be due to gender, ie jdramas for guys and kdramas for girls. It'll be interesting to tally the gender of the voters at the end of the day and see whether this hypothesis holds true.

I'm not bashing kdramas. I've seen a lot of crap and very avergae jdramas. I've not even completed a kdrama or more to give an impartial argument so a lot of it is using kmovies as comparison with a bit of overgeneralisation.

tokyo shounen
Posts: 155
Joined: Feb 9th, '05, 03:22
Location: Very soon japan :)

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 10th, '05, 13:58

No doubt korean ones
"Let's make today another great day!"

User avatar
BT-Slut
Posts: 212
Joined: Apr 8th, '04, 09:33
Location: China
Contact:

Post by BT-Slut » Apr 10th, '05, 17:53

busyizzy wrote: I feel these are overrated, especially now (as I mentioned before, Stained Glass and Lovers in Paris - god, I couldn't even finish Lovers in Paris because it got so boring), but there are some really nice shows that people do not hear of that I think are really quite cute and nice to watch. But meh. That is me. xD
Hi busyizzy. Can you name some lesser known k-dramas that we haven't heard about, which you think are really good? I am dying to sincerely give good k-dramas a fair chance, but so far everything I've seen out there is total crap. I can only watch a few eps of any k-dramas and that's purely because of the eye candy. The plot of every k-drama series I've watched so far is pure senseless crap--total fluff. The latest one I've been watching is Love Story at Harvard (really UCLA/USC) and the story and acting is so lame but I've endured 5 eps so far because of that gal with huge round eyes. If that girl wasn't in the series, I'd be very hard pressed to just finish watching ep 1.

Does K-drama offer anything remotely similar to Orange Days of J-drama?

Sigh... one can only hope... :-(

User avatar
Atomic
Posts: 131
Joined: Oct 19th, '04, 15:24
Location: Toronto/Manila

Post by Atomic » Apr 12th, '05, 02:44

BT-Slut wrote:
busyizzy wrote: I feel these are overrated, especially now (as I mentioned before, Stained Glass and Lovers in Paris - god, I couldn't even finish Lovers in Paris because it got so boring), but there are some really nice shows that people do not hear of that I think are really quite cute and nice to watch. But meh. That is me. xD
Hi busyizzy. Can you name some lesser known k-dramas that we haven't heard about, which you think are really good? I am dying to sincerely give good k-dramas a fair chance, but so far everything I've seen out there is total crap. I can only watch a few eps of any k-dramas and that's purely because of the eye candy. The plot of every k-drama series I've watched so far is pure senseless crap--total fluff. The latest one I've been watching is Love Story at Harvard (really UCLA/USC) and the story and acting is so lame but I've endured 5 eps so far because of that gal with huge round eyes. If that girl wasn't in the series, I'd be very hard pressed to just finish watching ep 1.

Does K-drama offer anything remotely similar to Orange Days of J-drama?

Sigh... one can only hope... :-(
I haven't seen any eps of Orange days, but I when this poll first went up, I voted for K-drama a lot more... Dumbass move on my part... While I have seen a lot of good Kdramas they just CANNOT compare to a well written/acted Jdrama. If you're looking for some good Kdramas to watch I suggest, Ruler of Your Own World, or DAMO.. While both shows do tend to drag, compared to a Jdrama, at least both were well written, and acted.

User avatar
BT-Slut
Posts: 212
Joined: Apr 8th, '04, 09:33
Location: China
Contact:

Post by BT-Slut » Apr 12th, '05, 05:08

Atomic wrote:
I haven't seen any eps of Orange days, but I when this poll first went up, I voted for K-drama a lot more... Dumbass move on my part... While I have seen a lot of good Kdramas they just CANNOT compare to a well written/acted Jdrama.
Dude, you HAVE to watch Orange Days then. It is simply THAT good! I'm 100% positive you'll appreciate that fine piece of jdrama. If you're waiting for the whole series to be subbed before downloading, you won't have long to wait. The last ep should be coming out within the next two weeks. Then you can download the entire series and watch its majestic beauty. :lol

User avatar
jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 484
Joined: Apr 20th, '04, 01:34
Location: BC, Canada
Contact:

Post by jaycee05 » Apr 12th, '05, 05:18

^^^Yes, WATCH ORANGE DAYS!!! :wub:
I sometimes feel like a walking advertisement for OD, I think I made a lot of people watch it...thanks to my satoshi ava :D
At first they think it's just all about seeing a cutie...but damn them if they don't see how beautiful and touching the series is

lucybobby
Posts: 32
Joined: Nov 19th, '04, 04:55
Location: malaysia
Contact:

Post by lucybobby » Apr 12th, '05, 05:19

i've always prefer kdrama to jdrama because jdrama doesn't really touch your heart. the plots also tend to be stupid at times. i don't like the way most women are potrayed in this dramas where everyone tend to be meek and mild-mannered but i do love Minami (long vacation) :P

User avatar
neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 672
Joined: Dec 20th, '03, 09:32
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by neonkinpatsu » Apr 12th, '05, 05:20

lucybobby wrote:i've always prefer kdrama to jdrama because jdrama doesn't really touch your heart. the plots also tend to be stupid at times. i don't like the way most women are potrayed in this dramas where everyone tend to be meek and mild-mannered but i do love Minami (long vacation) :P
I'm sooooooo looking forward to BT-Slut's reply to you tomorrow or the day after :lol
Image
Nothing can ruin a career faster than an office party.

User avatar
BT-Slut
Posts: 212
Joined: Apr 8th, '04, 09:33
Location: China
Contact:

Post by BT-Slut » Apr 12th, '05, 05:28

neonkinpatsu wrote:
lucybobby wrote:i've always prefer kdrama to jdrama because jdrama doesn't really touch your heart. the plots also tend to be stupid at times. i don't like the way most women are potrayed in this dramas where everyone tend to be meek and mild-mannered but i do love Minami (long vacation) :P
I'm sooooooo looking forward to BT-Slut's reply to you tomorrow or the day after :lol
Haha... I've made my thoughts known several times in this thread already. Everyone has their opinions and lucybobby is entitled to his/hers.

However, to me, it just sounds like lucybobby has kdrama and jdarams mixed up in his/her head. "plot also tends to be stupid at times" seems like a bulls-eye comment about kdramas. :D

User avatar
Atomic
Posts: 131
Joined: Oct 19th, '04, 15:24
Location: Toronto/Manila

Post by Atomic » Apr 12th, '05, 11:40

All Kdramas seem to have some sort of triangle in it.. The main characters will have 1 poor girl trying to over come her poverty.. 2 rich guys fighting over her.. A hidden disease that will cause her to die at the end, and plenty of eye candy.
If the girl is rich, then the guy would be poor. So the plot would be 1 rich chick, 1 poor dude, and 1 rich dude. Rich dude, and poor dude fighting over rich "virginial" girl's love.

At least Kdrama movies like OldBoy or Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter have unique plots, and are very well acted.

Oh and Kdramas tend not to have real kissing in it.. I've kissed my friends (nothing sexual going on) more passionately than those guys.. WTF no tounge?

armaniboi
Posts: 15
Joined: Dec 14th, '04, 08:43
Location: CA
Contact:

Post by armaniboi » Apr 13th, '05, 23:16

Wow, I didn't know this thread was still going but yeah just to say a little more:

Lucybobby - when you say that jdrama females are more submissive than korean ones.. from what I've seen.. it seems more of the opposite. Just on the majority of things like Stairway to Heaven and I'm Sorry I Love You, you have very weak women. And not to spoil anything if you haven't seen them, but it makes you hate Korean women (or just how Korean men will depict them). If I were Korean and a woman, I would be very offended. With Japanese dramas, usually the women have a lot more personality and fight to them but still have that vulnerable side that you see usually all the time.

But yes! Orange Days is really amazing. The first few episodes have the ability to just draw you in and wow, the acting, story, just amazing. I've said it already many times in these forums but it's the best drama I've seen in a long time. Even though I haven't finished it yet and even if the ending isn't really good, it will still have an amazing beginning that has been better than any drama I've seen. And obviously if you like, the hot male lead will make you like it more.

In general, I feel that Korean dramas tend to follow more of a pattern, like you can see it all the time. Sad ones deal with car accidents, amnesia, terminal illnesses. Main characters tend to always have so many problems and can't be happy (which makes me think Koreans are very sadistic). I tend to see less of a pattern for Japanese dramas, they have more of a variety or things or are different enough to stand apart. But I mean obviously despite what I just said, there are exceptions and patterns within Japanese dramas as well. Gokusen will be compared to GTO; there's really no going against it. But I mean patterns are everywhere, Flame of Recca was considered a Yu Yu Hakusho copy; The O.C. is the new 90210. etc. etc.

Korean movies I do appreciate more. If it follows a pattern, at least I know it'll end in two hours or less instead of sitting through 20 or so episodes. But I mean, they do have really good self-contained movies and different ones like Oldboy which is why I think Korea just has problems with flow.

And another thing to think about is that Korea bans Japanese dramas in Korea because they want to protect their culture supposedly. But it's also interesting to note that Korean dramas mimic Japanese dramas -- meaning they just learned their techniques and styles from them, but it's hard to see that now as the dramas are different. And it's also weird to me that Japan is having a new Korean wave of kdrama popularity.
It'll all work out somehow!

User avatar
xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 257
Joined: Dec 15th, '03, 04:06
Location: Cambridge, MA

Post by xiaryx » Apr 13th, '05, 23:23

heh jdrama is winning.
According to FSS, Kmovies (40%) is winning over Jmovies (24%) by a large margin.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Apr 14th, '05, 00:27

armaniboi wrote:Wow, I didn't know this thread was still going but yeah just to say a little more:

And it's also weird to me that Japan is having a new Korean wave of kdrama popularity.
I hit on this in my earlier post. In Japan, Japanese women aren't getting the kind of love and affection from their Japanese men that they want (pure love or "jun-ai"). I did not make up this conclusion... Through the years, women from Japan have told me this (which is the reason they were visiting Hawaii and hanging out at clubs to get some ****). Korean drama writers are taking advantage of this area, which is why, as armaniboi and others have mentioned, there is a pattern.

Personally, I could care less about death and other forms of tragedies. What I have a problem with in K-dramas are the men. From the serveral K-dramas I've skimmed through, the male characters are quite feminine from my biased Western perspective. Hey, I like cuddling, soft-talk, and other levels of physical and verbal affection like everyone else, but the K-drama writers blob this stuff 10-inches thick. And the Japanese women LOVE these expressions of affection, as well as women around the world. The one thing I can't stand are men/women couples who are BOTH very passive, Type-B personalities. One of the two must be aggressive and authorative. Passive couples do not work in the real world, therefore they should not work out in the drama world. It seems that k-dramas encourage men to be like this.

--- groink

ahnchan
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 10th, '05, 01:25

Post by ahnchan » Apr 14th, '05, 00:38

i like both almost equally, but kdrama a bit more.

imo, jdramas are more realistic, and kdramas are based more on wishful thinking/fairytale love stories...well the majority of what i watch. hahaha it just depends on what kind of mood i'm in.

muwu
Posts: 2
Joined: May 6th, '05, 08:04
Location: usa

Post by muwu » May 6th, '05, 10:05

groink wrote:
armaniboi wrote:Wow, I didn't know this thread was still going but yeah just to say a little more:

And it's also weird to me that Japan is having a new Korean wave of kdrama popularity.
I hit on this in my earlier post. In Japan, Japanese women aren't getting the kind of love and affection from their Japanese men that they want (pure love or "jun-ai"). I did not make up this conclusion... Through the years, women from Japan have told me this (which is the reason they were visiting Hawaii and hanging out at clubs to get some ****). Korean drama writers are taking advantage of this area, which is why, as armaniboi and others have mentioned, there is a pattern.

Personally, I could care less about death and other forms of tragedies. What I have a problem with in K-dramas are the men. From the serveral K-dramas I've skimmed through, the male characters are quite feminine from my biased Western perspective. Hey, I like cuddling, soft-talk, and other levels of physical and verbal affection like everyone else, but the K-drama writers blob this stuff 10-inches thick. And the Japanese women LOVE these expressions of affection, as well as women around the world. The one thing I can't stand are men/women couples who are BOTH very passive, Type-B personalities. One of the two must be aggressive and authorative. Passive couples do not work in the real world, therefore they should not work out in the drama world. It seems that k-dramas encourage men to be like this.

--- groink

I really enjoyed your Junai distinction in J/K dramas. I would like to add one more important psychological concept to Korean dramas. It's something called, "Han" which vaguely translates to mental anguish/suffering/vindictive spirit/hurt/etc.

Better description: "which Koreans feel is a buildup of the accumulation of injustices that life inflicts on people, and they need to somehow talk about that and have it reconciled or better understood."

http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/viewMedi ... /prmID/909

So, a really stressed and angry Korean would say, "Han me chut da" (Han's coiled [in me]). If they suspect they have are vexed with a restless spirit, it's because the spirit has "Han," so you would need to get a shaman to uncoil that Han.

Basically any serious Korean tragedy or even comedy forms should express this "Han." You can think of Han as all the injustices of life than brings on you, and if you see dramas (more or less geared for 40's and older), you will see how Han's accumulated, struggled against, and hopefully resolved. Indeed, these dramas are pretty intense.

Despite the fact that most of the Kdramas subbed are geared towards young adults, support characters (i.e. a single parent) would plainly show this Han, and this Han will mostly negatively affect the life of the children.

Anyways, I am a Korean and I had a blast reading the 10 commandments of Kdrama here, because they are so true. But seriously, there are Kdramas that are more geared for older generation, and got deeper stories. (especially true for "Mini series" and "drama theatre" from KBS). Not really happy stuff, but if you want deep story, get them.

********************
Well, onto the main question, I would say I prefer Jdramas by a lot.

I find "popular" Kdramas to be too cliqued, but more importantly, they are too emotional/melodramatic for my taste. Also, often too long and drawn out. (Of course, newer ones like Kongji/Patji are light and fun enough for me).

I prefer Japanese dramas because it's only 11-13 episode long. Also, compared to Kdramas, Jdramas are emotionally light. No one ever dies, and the biggest challenge is often meeting the day to day stuff. It's also generally feel good kind of story, where everyone is working hard for the company or the family. (I admit this "gambatte" story gets old quick). Also, as a Korean, it's really funny to see Japanese as portrayed in the dramas become so caught up with "small" things, and being obsessive with things Koreans would rather avoid.

FINALLY, I watch Jdramas because it's very interesting to watch how Japanese are so different despite the fact of being so similar.

User avatar
BT-Slut
Posts: 212
Joined: Apr 8th, '04, 09:33
Location: China
Contact:

Post by BT-Slut » May 6th, '05, 10:19

muwu wrote: Well, onto the main question, I would say I prefer Jdramas by a lot.

I find "popular" Kdramas to be too cliqued, but more importantly, they are too emotional/melodramatic for my taste. Also, often too long and drawn out. (Of course, newer ones like Kongji/Patji are light and fun enough for me).

I prefer Japanese dramas because it's only 11-13 episode long. Also, compared to Kdramas, Jdramas are emotionally light. No one ever dies, and the biggest challenge is often meeting the day to day stuff. It's also generally feel good kind of story, where everyone is working hard for the company or the family. (I admit this "gambatte" story gets old quick). Also, as a Korean, it's really funny to see Japanese as portrayed in the dramas become so caught up with "small" things, and being obsessive with things Koreans would rather avoid.

FINALLY, I watch Jdramas because it's very interesting to watch how Japanese are so different despite the fact of being so similar.
Hi Muwu and welcome to d-addicts. That's a really nice post you just made. It helps me understand k-dramas a little bit better and where they're coming from--the very depressing ones at least. I really appreciated your comments and perspective on j-drama as seen through the eyes of a Korean. Very interesting indeed.

Again, welcome to d-addicts.

athida
Posts: 77
Joined: Sep 22nd, '04, 01:46
Location: USA

Post by athida » May 8th, '05, 08:28

iceberri wrote:I'd have to say my vote was somewhere between "kdramas a little more" and "kdramas a lot more"... Although I like watching jdramas, few have the ability to evoke tears like kdramas do. As much as I like to make fun of kdramas' stereotypes, I still love watching them for some reason. I've enjoyed watching jdramas like Love Generation and Konna Koi no Hanashi, but whilst I can watch kdrama after kdrama, I don't feel that same urge with jdramas. Never-the-less, it's nice to switch up the tastebuds once in a while, but I'm still a loyal kdrama fan. :mrgreen:
Hmm... iceberri... u kinda sum up what I was gonna say. :D Yeah, I have that strong urge to watch one after another with kdramas too. But I love watching Love Generation! That was one of my faves. :wub: (Haven't seen Konna Koi...) It depends on what you have watched too. Some bad ones and some good ones from both.

Shymsal
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 6th, '04, 12:07
Location: PA, USA

Post by Shymsal » May 8th, '05, 09:05

I have only seen a few kdramas, but I prefer jdramas because, as someone else has said, they're more realistic. I actually find them more emotional because of it.

azngurlie
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 22nd, '05, 01:58

Post by azngurlie » May 9th, '05, 00:42

I only watched 1 Jdrama like years ago when I was small and I remember it was something about Under the same roof...and I really liked it then and then I got cut from Jdrama..Now, I'm really hooked to Kdrama...I didn't vote, just want to express my opinion because if I vote for Kdrama, it's not really fair cuz i haven't seen such Jdrama.....but from reading people's comments, I can see that Jdrama is very good, very realistic and emotionally. I'll definitely watch Jdrama this summer, since I'll have more time to dl them :P

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests