Question for a debate me an my friend are having

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
BrazinBox

Question for a debate me an my friend are having

Post by BrazinBox » Jan 11th, '12, 22:22

Ok, so my friend has a strange concept of being broke and seems to think that having $5ooo in a savings account but only $10 in a checking is being broke.

I'm curious to see how many people agree to this concept.

:argue:

Edit: This is a standard setup. A regular checking account and a savings account for the future, not saving for a house or car.
Last edited by BrazinBox on Jan 11th, '12, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Jan 11th, '12, 22:30

Could be if your friend doesn't have instant access to the money in the savings account or if he can't spend it because it's set aside for something else.

VietBaka

Post by VietBaka » Jan 11th, '12, 22:55

Could be a rainy day fund? Emergency fund?

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Jan 11th, '12, 23:20

I agree completely with your friend. He/She is broke. I know people hate hearing this, but you are suppose to have at least 4-6 months living expenses saved at all times. You lose your job tomorrow what are you going to do? Emergency Funds do not exist for everyday things. I consider it zero dollars. Now if your friend has an additional 5000 on top of that well good for him. Tell him to tell me his secret.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 12th, '12, 00:53

your friend is wise, they aren't touching their buffer/emergency $, so yeah, they are broke.

Gir

Post by Gir » Jan 12th, '12, 01:21

Depends, if this came up because he is being frugal and not unwisely spending money he's broke.
If it's because he's mooching off of others for stuff (especially non-necessities while employed) he's not.
If you can remain calm while all around you others are panicking... Then you obviously have not adequately assessed the situation.

nasomi

Post by nasomi » Jan 15th, '12, 18:43

There's a big difference between being broke and being poor. I'm usually broke because I have a great deal of expenses, I have pre-determined money set aside for savings, so I don't have a lot of money to spend right now. I think you're thinking poor, while he's thinking broke. They're two different things.