Title: 기찰비록 / Gichalbirok
Also known as: 조선X파일: 기찰비록 / Joseon X-Files: Secret Book
Episodes: 12
Genre: Period, mystery, sci-fi
Broadcast network: tvN
Broadcast period: 2010-Aug-20 to 2010-Oct-29
Air time: Friday 24:00

Synopsis

Secret Investigation Record is based on cases detailed in the Annals of Joseon History with a bizarre twist; these incidents incorporate mysterious, supernatural elements that cannot be explained through science. Kim Hyung Do is an inspector of the state whose single-minded focus on his investigations into administrative misdeeds bring him into direct contact with these strange mysteries. Heo Yoon Yi is a government employee who aids him and attempts to understand these scientific impossibilities with an open mind, in contrast to his cynicism.

Cast

Kim Ji Hoon as Kim Hyung Do
Im Jung Eun as Heo Yoon Yi
Kim Gab Soo as Chief Shin Moo Hoe
Jo Hee Bong as Jang Man
Jun So Min as Choi Eui Shin

DramaWiki
Soompi Forum
Official site

Substitles:WITH S2

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 4th, '11, 20:28

Wahaha!! Good to see it here! Loved the drama and rewatched that lately. Love it still!
You should make one for vampire too^^
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Oct 4th, '11, 20:43

saw this as a marathon as well as soon as it finished and really enjoyed it. It was refreshing watching a different type of drama and now looking back I think I might pick it up again. Time to go back to my extra drive :whistling:

There should be a topic with V.P. I'll join in :D
Image :wub: :alcoholic: TW Drama: Whos the One

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 5th, '11, 13:26

What the hell? Have we been mass hypnotized? I'm starting this now as well. XD

Well, as soon as I can convert the HD goodnesh for my console.

rickt

Post by rickt » Oct 14th, '11, 14:15

somehow I started watching this as well when a lot of people posted their recommendations of it on VP related posts (not only from DA). I dont quite understand the relation between this series and VP. are they both cable series? if they are, that explains the same number of eps and ep length..

anyway, I've only watched up to ep 5 so far. apart from the first 2 eps, which were quite confusing imo, the other eps were great! I just love the main character's act. he seems very natural in it. dont quite like the main female lead in there. somehow I just find her probably too used to modern world characters that when she's supposed to play the elegant, smart, sophisticated yet mysterious saeguk lady, she just comes up as confused and snobbish. hmmm..

I was kinda hoping that they actually explain the mysterious phenomenon at the end of each ep, but they didnt. I guess it is Joseon era after all, where technology was too behind to be able to explain anything. :whistling:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 14th, '11, 17:05

I actually like the mystery about the characters and not solving things. Because it is not important what the mysteries are or what they do. The people and how the characters react to them is key.
It's a bit like a police series in that sense. Where you have humans plotting to cover up, use, exploit the phenomena or have plain lost it because of them. So, it's about the way these affect people.
Also, it is not about technology. These aren't hoaxes here. I mean, flying saucers and weird creatures and all, from the past and present, have not been explained in our time either. If they are real.

And I actually like the lady too. I don't think she was supposed to be a graceful sageuk lady. She's a woman who makes bombs, doesn't remember her past and has some sort of extrasensory perception.
But I guess that is a matter of taste as well. She is quite an iffy character too. You know she is hiding things, but not what or if she even knows she is hiding things. She's also a lovely complex mystery.

I will personally be pleased even if there are no explanations at the end. Some mysteries are fun as mysteries. As long as any cliffhangers aren't directly about the fate of the characters, I guess. ^^

Oh, and yes. They are cable series. Better quality than the other kind, shorter episodes and less of them. But good stuff. And many genres. Not just sageuk, melo and rom-coms. Which is wonderful, really.
I mean, I avoid sageuks, but I love something like this. It's not about politics (there is a bit of that, but it's engaging) and it's not overly weepy or about some doomed romance. So, the setting is great here.

Also, Mr.Sidekick, Jang Man is so adorable. And Kim Gab Soo is very charming here. And creepy. I keep getting attracted to creepy people! He's 25 years over my desired range though so no gutter here. :lol
Last edited by Orion1986 on Oct 15th, '11, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Oct 14th, '11, 19:39

Orion1986 wrote:

I will personally be pleased even if there are no explanations at the end. Some mysteries are fun as mysteries. As long as any cliffhangers aren't directly about the fate of the characters, I guess. ^^
Don't worry Ori, you'll be served !
Looking forward to hearing from you what you 'll think about the end !

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 15th, '11, 04:35

For a moment there, I read "You will be serviced". Too much gutter today. I overloaded. And you shall hear my opinion alright. ^^ I'm at episode 5 now. So far, so awesome. :D

TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Nov 28th, '11, 06:10

Can someone please explain what the heck happened at the end of the last episode??

I'm so confused....he says to her "I know who you are" but I have NO idea who she is or what the heck happened after
the UFO came over and the screen whited out. Are they both dead? Aliens? Is she his mother or something??
I'm seriously, completely, confused. :scratch:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 28th, '11, 21:18

I guess this drama's ending was meant to be open and confusing. It's up to our mind processor to interpret that. Which I find a nice move.
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 29th, '11, 21:53

My own interpretation is:
She is a human, probably from the future and possibly another planet. Like, from our own very distant future as well. Maybe they go back in time and learn or something.

It explains why she's obviously a human being and has human feelings, but was present in so many eras. It also explains the weird creatures around. Like those spring thingies in episode 4.
Life forms from another planet or Future Earth that got brought to the past or something. As it does feel it is all connected to the UFOs. All as in every creature or phenomenon found in episodes.

Also, the nuclear waste signs in episode 3 are surely human. The thing that they were burying at the end. Nuclear waste from the future. Radiation. So, I am not leaning towards aliens here.
I'm leaning towards time travellers. Perhaps slightly evolved humans who maybe have lost some touch with part of their humanity so they got nostalgia and study the past to find their identity.

Or that may be the motivation of some of them. The leader/creepy guy in that episode where he had entered another dimension (with the dead young couple) lead me to think like that. He seemed to be in charge of the whole thing or mission.
Heo had to beg him to let her "naeuri" go and he seemed to have some twisted wish to show a human that him being emotional is a weakness. Maybe some of those future men think humanity with emotions is weak and are set to prove it.

As for him, he survived and was probably dropped off somewhere. Hopefully in the same era. XD It's not like most would believe him and he's not one to tell people all about it anyway. I guess he figured things out and can live a regular life.
I am taking this very far, I know, but this is my own explanation, that I thought about in my own mind. It's what would, for me, explain most of the things that happened, Heo and her reactions and past and all the happenings in these areas.

I love this series for that. You'd think that it would be boring for modern audiences. You expect to see a bunch of "simpler" people of older times get all worked up over a "simple" UFO and you'd think that the series wouldn't offer something new.
What I loved about it is that it doesn't end with "it's aliens", which we're pretty used to by now in fiction, but it actually takes things so much deeper and complicates them, that they leave even us "more in the know" people dumbfounded as well.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Mar 28th, '12, 00:11

Just started this today and - WOW - what a breath of fresh air. I don't need a drama to provide me with mental gymnastics, but a little brain tickling, both visually and storytelling-wise? Yes, please. So far, "SIR" is fitting the bill.
:D

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 1st, '12, 06:33

Looks like I spoke too soon about the mental gymnastics, heh, heh :D

Orion1986, your interpretation of the leading lady's origins and possible motivation is fascinating.
I loved Heo Yoon Yi (Assistant Heo). Intelligent, courageous, graceful - a model woman. I loved how the writers allowed her to be her own person. Judging by the critical praise and high ratings SIR received - the public is ready for nuanced and mature female characters. More, please!
Of course, the other players were a delight. Special mention to Jo Hee Bong, whose Magistrate Jang Man character, a Joseon Steppin Fetchit, was so well done without becoming exasperating (give the man an Oscar). Of course, I have to mention Kim Ji Hoon as Inspector Kim Hyung Do. Thanks to KJH's very good performance, the Lead Ego in a Korean Drama did not suck. Even mildly.
But what are jewels without a proper setting? The creators should take a bow. Again, more please!
:notworthy: