Playful Kiss (MBC, 2010)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 2nd, '10, 04:03

The mangaka died. She was moving away to a new house with her husband and kids and she slipped and hit her head on a table. Fate is a real b*tch sometimes.
I think she had the ending already drawn or decided and her students loved her and her work so much that they made it happen, with permission from her husband.

I think the story is beautiful for what it is. It's shoujo. How could you expect anything more serious? In fact, for a shoujo, it's pretty mature and explores their life a lot.
I mean, usual shoujo are about highschool idiots that "have found great love" just cause they found the courage to give a damn peck at the end of the whole manga.
This actually kept the shoujo tone, but explored their lives and problems after puberty. Finding what you're good at, marriage, kids (later on). It's a pretty "mature" shoujo.

You're just not cut out for shoujo, shiofmedea. Don't even go near other ones. Josei (for older women), you might like, but shoujo is for teenage girls. Not the smartest works.
Itazura na kiss is both. It was shallow enough for teen girls to "get", but also tried to show them some things that matter in life and actually make them think, even if only a bit.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 2nd, '10, 07:15

So many diverse opinions about this drama and it makes watching it so interesting. I saw the Taiwan first and for me it was dreadful. Plus they played and replayed it on TV here ad nauseum. The only good thing about it was Joe Cheng. and he would have fitted in very well to the Korean one. The Korean family was so much better I think, toned down, and the mother was so good. In the Taiwan version the family was crazy and silly. and Ariel was brainless, which was the idea, but she was over acting the craziness all the time.

I actually think that our brainy hero would have come across much better if they had given about two or three more episodes to give him time to show that he was falling for Ha Ni. The rain scene was better in the Taiwan version I thought. The dialogue in the Korean version was dry as stale bread considering he was confessing his love and making sure she would not marry the other guy. I think the script did not help the actors when they needed it. PD should have done a better job.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 2nd, '10, 11:38

Considering what you said, Peggy (no, I have not watched the drama apart from 1st ep), I think you can blame it on the rain that the scene was stale. Not because The Ta... umm, Jong Hyun can't convey the emotions.
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 2nd, '10, 20:31

Ah..poor Milli Vanilli they were so much before their time weren't they. Lip synching is almost a given these days.... and the electronically enhanced mikes. who has to sing anymore....

Anyway back to the drama. there just wasn't enough rain in the Korean scenes. throwing away the umbrella lost all the bravado. It completely sent me back to Joe Cheng. Now he is a real kisser... Hmm

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Dec 3rd, '10, 21:16

Life is crazy, I must say, you could say that it was a little manga like death :scratch: .. and I was not trying to unsensitive here!
I do not think it's a case that I do not like this kind of manga at all, I still find them a nice diverse from real life problems if they are funny... I was trying to come with title and.. hmm.. Skip beat! as an example maybe? It's shoujo, heroine is not the bightest thing around but still I can stomach it. But it's just little crazy manga, where people are going around being in love but not making you want to kill them (or yourself).
You know what, I was thinking very hard to find example of drama about the same age people and the same genere (comedy, love story), that I liked, what I came with is (I'm not old in terms of "watching dramas years")
Japaneese one's (I watched more of them):
Nabuta no produce - younger and more comedy then love story, but still
Koizora (movie) - no that I liked it but for different reasons and I was not so anty
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi - melodrama more but even better example becouse I hate melodrama!
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e - there is no serious part, ok
ah, I know the best example here:
Hachimitsu to Clover
Koreean:
I'm going to hide myself and punish greatly but even Boys over flovers (what I just said ?????) and Briliant legacy (I cant believe myself!!!!) were not that bad... and belive me I hated them with all my heart!

:crazy:

ok, something must be very bad here, I should go to exorcisme myself, I start to wonder why I can't leave this topic!

And I still respect your point of view! :salut:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 3rd, '10, 21:36

Ahaha. Don't exorcise yourself, love. :lol Taste is varied with people and with works. You like some things and don't like others, even if in the same category of works as well. It's natural.
It may just be that this one did not have that special something to make you like it. We can't always pinpoint the things we don't like. Sometimes, something just rubs us the wrong way.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Dec 3rd, '10, 22:10

But I can't move from this topic!!!! Why??????????????

Ok being rational it's two things, I suppose:
1. I like to argue :P
2. to quote Hyun: I hate stupid girls. Trying to be cute on top of it (and failing in my opinion) is ofence punished by painfull :w00t: :w00t: death.

:lol

I can rant looong, there are some historical events you should avoid even mention around me!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 3rd, '10, 22:10

This drama was not so bad up unitl the last episode I saw when our coldhearted hero confessed his love. LOVE??? Might as well have sent a text message. Would have had more warmth.

I really can't understand the way Seungho is being portrayed. the PD should take responsibility for the lack of emotion and brightness. It is so flat. Can't honestly put all the blame on the actor in my opinion.

We shall see what happens once the wedding day approaches. At least the Taiwan version had some action going for it even tho it was a little 'Don't touch me you animal..did you touch me?????? '

Where is Joe Cheng when he is needed.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Dec 3rd, '10, 22:15

She was protesting? She?????? The one who you coudn't fight off with veeery big stick? And puting herself in his bad? I just think I would like see it :roll

:lol and I'm still at it!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 3rd, '10, 22:53

Shiofmedea, some of us ladies love rantings. :roll So rant to your heart's content. This is a forum and interesting conversations can only arise from willingness to discuss things.
And we don't have to agree on things or even like something to talk about it. Different opinions are good as long as there is respect and the mood and will for nice conversations.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 3rd, '10, 23:00

shiofmedea,

so you should watch the Taiwan series. It was the first series I think anyway.

If you find Ha Ni irritating, then I would like to hear your comments about Ariel who plays that role. :-)

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Dec 4th, '10, 02:03

Are you sure? I was still keeping myself under control here :lol

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 4th, '10, 05:43

Oh please.. I will get out my old armour and dust it off and then you can allez vous avec plaisir ma chere ( I dusted off my schoolgirl French (as you can see)

Really I think you would have a mindblowing time watching the Taiwan version. I repeat that the only good thing about it for me was Joe Cheng.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Dec 4th, '10, 22:05

ok I will try! I just must find it somewhere. I'm officialy starting personal crusade: Looking for most Grrr! factor drama! For now PK is a winner.
By the way, I'm in Paris now but it's just that, I'm from Poland and my French is super basic (but I'm learning :crazy: ).. work can do it to you, they move you around as they please :hissy:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 4th, '10, 23:03

shiofmedea.

Ah that is why you do not rant on my bad French !! Well I am going to look forward to your comments after you watch the Taiwan version...called 'It Started with a Kiss' by the way.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Dec 5th, '10, 02:15

I wouldn't dare, look at my English! XD
It can take some time, I have pretty hetic schedule but be aware, I will come back and rant you down :glare: :lol

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 5th, '10, 02:30

Well I don't think you will rant me down. I am almost on your side ot the road anyway...:-)

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Dec 5th, '10, 21:10

:-(
so where is the fun in it? If everybody agree, there is no fire! :glare:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 5th, '10, 21:20

Oh there are others who do not see eye to eye with me and they will be on guard.

*kawaii*

Post by *kawaii* » Dec 6th, '10, 13:58

i tried to finish this drama
but i was bored to death XD

the chinese drama was little better thu :p

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Dec 16th, '10, 21:01

Peggy

I ... I... I go back on my words, I can't say anything I'm speachless. I can't find right expresions to decribe this horror. I went with knife on my notebook but I remembered that I paid for it myself and i will need it in the futere. Let's throw courtin of silence on this topic... :pale:

By the way as I was a little afraid to start it after yours explenations I browsed a little bit throug another Taiwaneese dramas and some of them are nice, so thank you I gained something from our exchange :thumleft:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 17th, '10, 01:53

:-)

Told you...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 17th, '10, 08:25

Playful Kiss was shown here on TV and ended about a week ago, maybe two weeks, I can't believe that this week they have started to run it again. WHY?? There are new dramas to be seen. WHY??

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Dec 27th, '10, 18:19

Are Korean dramas so popular in USA? I saw that some of them are published (I bought one myself, I wanted more but they are out of print mostly), but it seems that they are really fast if Playfull Kiss ended already.. or did you mean another version?

By the way to add to our previous discussion, even if this Taiwanesse version was beyond enoying I must agree that it was somehow more.. I don't know.. cute... warm?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 27th, '10, 20:49

Hi again..It was the same Korean version being shown again. In fact just recently they have been showing a lot of repeats and not necessarily the best dramas. Some of them are really old ones and the best thing about them is trying to guess who the actors are because they are quite young and have not yet grown into their adult faces. Also the makeup is very heavy, especially the lipstick. Very dark red and overemphasised.

There are a lot of Korean drama addicts in US and plenty of places to buy videos. Actually lots of Japanese addicts as well.Some TV companies are now opening up more channels to show Asian shows... not just dramas. For instance I get more world news from the CCTV channel from Beijing and it is a 24 hours English channel, as well as their Chinese speaking one. Also aCchinese drama channel. Same goes for Korean and I have two Japanese TV channels. I have a really good Cable company.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 27th, '10, 20:54

I also know what you are saying re the Taiwanese version as opposed to the other versions. It definitely was funnier and showed more emotions. At times I thought Ariel was so silly however, and I was wishing that Joe Cheng had a better leading lady. I think they have acted together several times so I guess it is not difficult for them. I liked the Korean family better than the Taiwanese one.... thought the mother was easier to take. She is actually a very good Korean actress who played leading lady roles not so long ago. She is married and she and her husband are so in love that it is remarked upon every time they do an interview. I think they have four children now. They are really an adorable family in real life.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 5th, '11, 21:32

Ah, you are lucky person, not only in Poland there is veeeeery difficult to find any asian film which is not some festival awarded thing (or in contrast total trash, I can't understand how they choosing it), I'm now living in France where is a bit easier (movies) but my French is not even worth to be mention, I could understand more from orginal version, I think. :lol. Hmm.. I don't think I saw Korean drama on Polish TV, Japaneese, yes, samurai one mostly, I think, but nothing more. Here in Paris I watch mostly English version of some Japan TV chanell as this is only one I could follow.
I can agree, actress who played mother was good the best from staff, I did not like character but she interpreted it really well. In some way she made it so mother was more cute that this horrible main actress, even if you could kill yousefl being her child and one receiving end of her well-ment (from her point of view) but sooo embaracing actions.
And for Taiwan made dramas, I started to be hooked, I think mostly becouse my specyfic sense of humor. They are so incredibly over- everything that they make me laugh even if rationaly I know it was not what author had in mind.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 6th, '11, 21:04

I was just watching a video about Kim Nam Gil and it showed scenes from his last drama 'Bad Guy'. SBS really spoiled this drama by not timing things properly, and then having to cut it short and rush the last episodes. However, as I watched, I realised that the little actress who plays the high school girl in 'Playful Kiss' rather well, is also one of the leads in 'Bad Guy' Here she is the young daughter who falls in love with Kim Nam Gil and has her heart shattered in the process. It made me realise that she is indeed a rather good actress because I did not recognize her at all in 'PlayFul Kiss'. She really does act as a teenager with a crush on the coldhearted brilliant lead man. I think she is 24 years old so either she has good sense memory or she is young at heart anyway !!

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 7th, '11, 19:04

Really? I totally did not recognized her, hair maybe? In Playful Kiss is she this quite mature person from uniwersity or this first one who was trying really hard do appear everywhere Hyun was going to be and in process hated by his mother?
I started Athena now. I do not like this main girl, where I saw her before? I'm sure I did..

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 7th, '11, 20:10

Maybe in Sword with No Name (movie)?
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 7th, '11, 20:56

I was talking about the High school girl who lived with her father in the friends house for some time. The other girl, who was also brilliant scholar, is now hostess on a variety show...? Entertainment Weekly I think.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 17th, '11, 23:08

Ethlenn
I do not think so, I didn't see this one.. should I?

Peggy
I still can't tell, which one is this, you do not mean main one, I understand?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 18th, '11, 00:48

shiofmedea.
Now you have me confused..!!.. The main girl who was crushing on the intelligent fellow all through high school played the young girl in 'Bad Guy' In the end she appeared with a gun in the scene with Gun Woo. Remember??

The taller girl who was very cool and the number 2 in intelligence in the school ,is the one who is now doing the variety show. I just read she also is an amateur boxer and recently won a huge competition. I just can't imagine her boxing in a ring but apparently she is a boxing fan.
Her name may be Siyeong but not sure.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 18th, '11, 11:00

shiofmedea: if you want to. Nice colors in this movie, plus Jo Seung Woo in an armor, well... Not the best movie of the last year though.

jenshiro

Post by jenshiro » Jan 18th, '11, 18:55

I liked this.. at the beginning especially.. Then I just became angry at Baek Seung Jo (played by Kim Hyun Joong)... I mean.. sure.. this isn't real life.. But he really treated her bad...

Everyone should totally watch this though.. It's good... But be ready to become a little angry and him.. ha ha :D

Nice ending though..

vancoland

Post by vancoland » Feb 19th, '11, 05:06

I just finished this series and I got to say...The way they toned down everything made an excellent story mediocre. The reason ISWAK was so love was because of the outrageous-nous of the story. Joe Cheng portrayed a great cold character that was void of many emotions that were only sparked by Ariel's character. Some people might say that she was super annoying, but I think that Ariel fit the role perfectly and it was endearing. How else would the main lead fall for the girl then if she was normal? Ha Ni in this series was portrayed just like any other girl devoted to a guy, just a little dumber. The story lacked reasons why Seung Jo would fall for Ha Ni. The people who didn't like ISWAK, didn't like how annoying Ariel Lin's character was. But I think that it was befitting the story of how Joe Cheng's character came to like her. Both dramas portrayed the female lead totally devoted to the male lead, but in my opinion ISWAK portrayed the devotion better (i.e. the sprained ankle tennis scene).

Playful Kiss totally screwed up on the 2 most important scenes of the series, the one with Eun Jo in the hospital and the Rain scene. For those that have seen both series all the way through, I don't think I need to elaborate why ISWAK was a thousand times better. Not only was there overwhelming emotions that Ariel displayed in the hospital scene, the importance of the second kiss was in that scene. In PK, the second kiss was ludicrous. There was nothing leading up to that point that showed he liked her.

For me, I really like the story told. But for the reasons above and many more, ISWAK is one of my all time favorites, and PK is just OK.
I want to see Li Bing Bing

gemmalynn

Post by gemmalynn » Mar 16th, '11, 13:54

Is here anybody who is watching Playful Kiss now?xd

odessa

Post by odessa » Mar 25th, '11, 23:58

I am watching it again. I wish though you could download the subs for the special web episodes without having to just view it on-line.

gemmalynn

Post by gemmalynn » Mar 26th, '11, 13:10

oh,I just finished.It was really good.I think I'm going to watch it again.:D

macross

Post by macross » May 19th, '11, 08:18

I just downloaded the 1-16 batch, will watch at some point. Can't believe I seeded 220 gig of it while d/ling the batch lol.

HydeLoveAlways

PlayfulKiss/NaughtyKiss Spoiler questions please help thanks

Post by HydeLoveAlways » Sep 29th, '12, 23:11

Not sure if this website still answers questions about Playful Kiss but I was curious about this episode 12 when Oh Ha Ni finds the leaf in her school jacket pocket. It's not possible to be from a dream, right? Did Seung Jo put it in there when he brought her and EunJo home???

Also, in the episode I think 10 or 11 when Oh Ha Ni gets sick and stays with Seung Jo he later opens her chocolates does anyone know what the card said???

Last question,
Did the honeymoon night happen as Oh Ha Ni dreamed it or was that just another of her dreams?

It has been driving me nuts but no one wants to answer...

Thanks