Sungkyunkwan Scandal (KBS2 , 2010)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 8th, '11, 21:10

:-)

Well it's not the first time that sentences with words of more than two syllables have be cast aside.
As my mother used to say..'What is the world coming to'

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jan 10th, '11, 03:33

I've been thinking about who Yoohwan resembles... and I think he looks like Andy (Shinhwa) haha.

toenail

Post by toenail » Jan 10th, '11, 10:25

Question, what is Yong-ha doing in Eastern dorm?

Noron = Western dorm
Soron + Namin = Eastern dorm

In the beginning Yong-ha is part of In-Soo's entourage, so he can't be a Soron. Is he Namin? Or is he .... factionless?
His father bought false lineage so he can pretend to be a yangban, wonder what sort of lineage is that. If that's a Noron lineage, how can he stay in Eastern dorm and become a Soron's (Geol-Oh's) friend?

Anyone knows?

Edit: The first morning Yoon-shik at Sungkyunkwan (ep. 3), the students washed their faces together in front of their rooms. Only a few students away, there's Yong-ha laughing and looking at her. That means he's in Eastern dorm too, right?

[/URL]

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 10th, '11, 16:06

I just finished watching this drama and I absolutely love it! Great story, superb production, awesome and lovable characters talented actors and a whole lot of handsome men. What more can a fangirl want?! LOL.
toenail wrote:Question, what is Yong-ha doing in Eastern dorm?

Noron = Western dorm
Soron + Namin = Eastern dorm

In the beginning Yong-ha is part of In-Soo's entourage, so he can't be a Soron. Is he Namin? Or is he .... factionless?
His father bought false lineage so he can pretend to be a yangban, wonder what sort of lineage is that. If that's a Noron lineage, how can he stay in Eastern dorm and become a Soron's (Geol-Oh's) friend?

Anyone knows?

Edit: The first morning Yoon-shik at Sungkyunkwan (ep. 3), the students washed their faces together in front of their rooms. Only a few students away, there's Yong-ha laughing and looking at her. That means he's in Eastern dorm too, right?
I kinda got confused about that as well in the earlier part of the series. Yong-ha's always wearing ostentatious clothes so I assumed he was a Noron. But I remember in one scene while Ha In Soo was plotting against the Jalgeum Quartet, he briefly mentions that Yong-ha was neither a Soron or a Noron and even he was a bit befuddled about Yong-ha's reason for hanging out with a Soron, a Noron and a Namin. I guess it would make sense to assume that Yong-ha's family has no political leaning. If we follow that premise, we can also assume that he is in the Eastern dormitory since it's the one that's open for all other students. The Western Dorms seem to have become exclusive for the dominant Norons. Geol-Oh mentions this in one of the earlier episodes too, if I remember correctly. That would also explain why he and Geol-Oh are friends since the latter hates the political factions, anyway.
About being part of In-Soo's entourage in the first episode, it's possible that he just likes hanging out with them at that time. From what I understand about Yong-ha's character, he's always been watching on the sidelines, waiting to be entertained. Maybe he hung out with Ha In's crew cause at that time they were the most 'entertaining' bunch at the school.
These are just my interpretation of the story and I'm just guessing here based on my understanding of the characters. I hope I made sense. :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 10th, '11, 18:27

Yongha originally belonged to the merchant family that bought noblesse papers. That wasn't shown in the drama, but maybe his father bought Soron family rights?
Merchants weren't allowed to belong to any group (Noron/Soron, Namin and older ones). I explained the differences and origins somewhere on the blog, if anyone cares for that.

And to just add - there weren't that much of Namins in SKK, so it's not right saying that Namins were occupying the Eastern Dorms.
BTW. I find it cute and a little bit of a charade - if you know what DBSK stands for, keke...

Nemi79

Post by Nemi79 » Jan 10th, '11, 19:02

Does anyone know where I can get subs for this drama, from episode 6 and onwards?

I simply LOVE this drama :)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 10th, '11, 19:07

Look careful either in this very thread or look up the episodes uploads threads. They are all here. 8)

Nemi79

Post by Nemi79 » Jan 10th, '11, 19:16

Thanks so much Ethlenn :)

Will do :)

toenail

Post by toenail » Jan 11th, '11, 09:25

Ethlenn wrote: I explained the differences and origins somewhere on the blog, if anyone cares for that.
I do :w00t: read posts that come up under the search for "sungkyunkwan" in your blog but can't find it, clue please?
Ethlenn wrote: And to just add - there weren't that much of Namins in SKK, so it's not right saying that Namins were occupying the Eastern Dorms.
BTW. I find it cute and a little bit of a charade - if you know what DBSK stands for, keke...

What does it stand for?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 11th, '11, 10:35

Rising Gods of the East, keke (eastern dorms?)

Noron and Soron

toenail

Post by toenail » Jan 11th, '11, 13:04

Wah thanks! :cheers:
Knowing the background makes this drama even more interesting. I am glad to be living this century instead of the times when human life worths nothing.

"The one who is always by King's side", you mean the old meek-looking minister who seems to be the first prime minister?
If Seon-jun's father is the Left Prime Minister, that means the meek one is the Main Prime Minister. Is Seon-jun's father "Left" because he's a pyeokpa?

During this drama Noron is the strongest faction, so in Sungkyunkwan the Jang-eui is a Noron, with a mild-tempered Soron Vice-President (that pretty guy). But when Soron was stronger, the Jang-eui (Jae-shin's brother) was a Soron. Seems that in-campus political situation mimics the country's. Interesting!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 14th, '11, 13:39

And one pic of our beloved Yongha:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 14th, '11, 13:42

Ethlenn wrote:And one pic of our beloved Yongha:
as HOT as this pictures is, I still want one of my kid JS. :P

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 14th, '11, 19:40

When I saw the picture of Songgi in Joseon clothing I had the thought that we admire our actors and we don't really find the historical garb at all strange. Are we so much involved with Korean dramas that we now accept the costuming without any comment? I mean I love the costumes in SKKS, but if I were to show that picture to someone who had never seen kdrama they would either laugh or ask a lot of questions about who and what and where and why.
I was once discussing the Japanese drama 'Oda Nobunaga' and showed a picture of Takuya Kimura dressed as a young samurai. I was really surprised at a posting where the person was apparently rolling around laughing ,and for the life of me I could see nothing to laugh at in the samurai attire at all. Frankly I thought it showed total ignorance in anyone who watched Japanese dramas.
I just thought....I wonder if this would happen with our Songgi in his beautiful robes.

Look at the finery that men wore in the western world around the1600/1700 eras.

George III and George Washington were quite peacocks in their days don't you think...:-)

Just thinking.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 14th, '11, 19:54

Uhmm... I think western 18th-century fashion was disgusting, pansy-like and horrid.
17th century one, on the other hand...
These are the best dressed men of Western World:
I'm sorry, but I love the book (yes, I'm the almost extinct specimen of people who enjoy books more than movies, cheers to Peggy and known bunch!), the movie, and Athos to bits.

But yes, I guess we just adjusted to the fashion, and there is nothing weird in those, I guess, for us anymore. We may like it or not, but we are not laughing. I think, as you said, if someone laughs at something that doesn't know or understand, one shows his bottomless ignorance. But as they say - ignorance is a bliss, so we won't change the type of thinking of others. Someone has to be a little bit open-minded to understand the uniqueness of other culture.

But, frankly, I don't find japanese clothing beautiful. I mean, modern kimono is nice and beautiful, but those Heian period clothes and later were just awful, uncomfortable, and shoes... I mentioned that earlier but when I see cruel, fearless samurai in their sandals... well, it doesn't go with me, sorry.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 14th, '11, 21:29

I have always liked historical cloths... even those western pantsy horrors that Ethlenn mentioned. They just need right person inside. ;)
I remeber that first time I saw traditional Korean clothing it loved it too. Well ok, men's hat looked silly then but now I don't think it looks that bad. In my opinion men look hot in traditional clothing. ^^

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 15th, '11, 00:06

Peggy wrote:When I saw the picture of Songgi in Joseon clothing I had the thought that we admire our actors and we don't really find the historical garb at all strange. Are we so much involved with Korean dramas that we now accept the costuming without any comment? I mean I love the costumes in SKKS, but if I were to show that picture to someone who had never seen kdrama they would either laugh or ask a lot of questions about who and what and where and why.
I was once discussing the Japanese drama 'Oda Nobunaga' and showed a picture of Takuya Kimura dressed as a young samurai. I was really surprised at a posting where the person was apparently rolling around laughing ,and for the life of me I could see nothing to laugh at in the samurai attire at all. Frankly I thought it showed total ignorance in anyone who watched Japanese dramas.
I just thought....I wonder if this would happen with our Songgi in his beautiful robes.

Look at the finery that men wore in the western world around the1600/1700 eras.

George III and George Washington were quite peacocks in their days don't you think...:-)

Just thinking.
I don't think its polite to laugh about others culture ... I really like people wearing that traditional clothes ...even find that sexy :$ , I think it s a mark and sign of proud of who they are !
In my country==>
Culture has to be respected...thats what I think.

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jan 15th, '11, 06:52

Speaking of Song Joong Ki, is he really cast in Full House 2?

I have no issues with the historical garbs. They're fabulous! :D
I think the reason why I love sageuk, apart from the storyline, is the culture represented mostly by the clothes and the beautiful scenery.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 15th, '11, 07:25

Love those Moroccan robes. always thought how easy it would be to wear kaftan instead of all the bits and pieces of underclothes and then tops and skirts or slacks. In fact I made a couple for my husband and myself. He loved his and wore it a lot, especially after retiring to California.

I like Japanese costume and feel that it flows and gives the men great fluid movement. I agree with Ethlenn re the sandals however. How did they keep them on in a fight. Or why didn't they trip over them when moving fast.
At least Sakamoto obtained a pair of western boots which he loved and wore all the time once he saw western garb.

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jan 15th, '11, 09:27

My student wore kimono one day and I tried the sandals on. I almost tripped while trying to walk. haha.
It's cute but I don't think I can wear them.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 15th, '11, 11:57

The news about Full House 2 are rumors, so far no agency (and I went yesterday to Sidus, one that manages Junggi) issued any statement there. He's so far casted in one movie though, let's hope without any dogs in it.

Re clothes: yukata is fine, although obi doesn't allow to breath and looks not so good and smooth on us. By us, I mean western women. No offence, but westerners have usually wider hips and are built less frail as Japanese, so kimono and obi (or yukata, for that matters) doesn't look that good. Yes, I wore all kinds of kimono, I'm not saying for the sake of saying.
Sakamoto was a remarkable man, very open one, like Nobunaga few centuries back. The difference between them lies in history and times they lived in, and of course in Enryakuji.

Have you noticed, btw. how women in their hanbok sit? Looking from the top, the hanbok is shaped on a sitting woman like a flower. Like here:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 16th, '11, 02:10

Great picture Ethlenn.
I always love to see the Royals in Korean historical dramas when the ladies enter a room and float over to sit down at their small desks. Some of them at times are like galleons in full sail. Such gorgeous materials and emrboideries. Love the beautiful jewels in the hairpieces through the back of the hair.

I wonder if the Emperor's and Princes robes are difficult to move in. Very elaborate.

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jan 16th, '11, 10:56

Yeah, and even fat women don't look fat in hanbok.

Re Song Joong Ki... Ah... I was hoping it's true. I'd like to watch him again in a drama. What was the title of his movie (with the dog)? I have to find and watch it. :D

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 16th, '11, 11:17

Yes, lovely flowers indeed! I didn't find anything in trad Korean clothes in the beginning. I thought women looked like matrons and men's hat's were kinda amusing - although, I fell for the warrior-uniforms at first sight - as ecchan mentioned, at least they had shoes and not straw sandals :P

But after getting used to them I started to see the clothing as quite alluring (I admit it could have been the influence of liking the actors wearing them...) even the hats, cause they give focus to the faces :lol: and especially those elaborate costumes of the high class giaseng and the beautiful hair pins and elegant demeanor which doesn't seem to come from the fact that their movements are restricted (which I think is the case with kimono) but rather that they do have a certain pride and the clothes seem to emphasize it discretly.

Oh well I'm just ranting about and though I like to wear Japanese jinbei in summer, I'm aware how stupid I look in it :P

and sham - I also like your country's traditional clothing and it's the dignity by which it's usually worn that makes it attractive for me, too ;).

Edit: Think the movie is called Hearty Paws2 or Heart is...2 in English - but not even for SJK . . . :whistling:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 16th, '11, 12:45

Re-cloths
To be honest comparing to those beautifully coloured kimonos, hanboks have no appeal to me. They might look like flowers from the top (not many people sitting on the the top to admire its one beauty side except for angels :mrgreen:) but all women look pregnant from sideways. Not to mention their pick and mix bright colours. Not so calming. I find most of those kimonos designs a real piece of art.

Then I noticed something after watching kdramas for over a year. There is certain loudness and exaggerations in their way of life that lacks calmness. It is in their every way of life. From loud fast talking, very deep and sometimes over the top rmotions, using so many different colours in their clothing, their designs on Walls ...
I don't mean to offend Koreans by saying this and no cultural disrespect is intended but this is my observations from watching over 50 dramas for one year. I liked it sometimes and not very much at other times. It gives me headache when I not in a good mood but it also gives me happiness (with their way of conveying love and emotions) when I need it. But coming from mainly Jdrama background, I do miss the certain quietness and calm that I am used to. As I said to one od friend before, there is certain quietness that always present even in loudest Jdrama and there is certain loudness present in even mist quiet Kdrama and this never changes.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 16th, '11, 12:50

Well, this is a very tentative topic, dear. Koreans are emotional, Japanese are emotionless.
I prefer the first option, because I can feel the pulsing life in it, not just some graveyard calmness. I will have time for this later, not in dramas.
But you know, maiko's kimono are garish. :whistling:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 16th, '11, 13:43

Ethlenn wrote:Well, this is a very tentative topic, dear. Koreans are emotional, Japanese are emotionless.
I prefer the first option, because I can feel the pulsing life in it, not just some graveyard calmness. I will have time for this later, not in dramas.
But you know, maiko's kimono are garish. :whistling:
well i know i started this off topic subject so is my bad. but I still can argue with this statement which i find it too sever and harsh. maybe in another thread that is not Jdrama or Kdrama thread so we don't get influx of biased opinions. one thing i believe, there is NO emotionless people. they're all the same. the only difference is the way they express it or they see the whole issue.
it might something to do with foods they eat. Koreans eat lots of hot spicy foods. :whistling:

ps. i noticed your ava E-chan, please don't tell me you have fallen for PSH too. i went through :crazy: times when my friend fell in love with him after watching PP and i had to endure her constant fainting and Kyaaing over long period of time that basically made me kind of allergic to him. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Issy on Jan 16th, '11, 14:00, edited 2 times in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 16th, '11, 13:52

Yes, this is off-topic, let's not take it any further. Personal opinions are like nose-holes, everyone has their own (except for comic book characters^^).

Re movie with SJG: Hearty Paws 2, I put somewhere link to this movie, I remember this right. But I don't think there are subs yet, or maybe... ah well, a movie with dogs doesn't interest me at all, sowwy.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 16th, '11, 14:05

OMO...Ecchan?!? You let PSH into your ava?? Haha I see, you've fallen hard for him , huh??!! :mrgreen:

PS: I know, off-topic but I gotta ask... Issy, did you watch PP and not fall for him?!!!?
Is that even possible? I plan to give QoR a try after I'm done with LIB, so I might well go back to fangirling over him, too. And aily's also been head over heels since PP . . . seems like only the die-hard KDW faction is immune to his charms?!? :whistling:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 16th, '11, 14:16

Well, I've been under his spell when I watched What Star Are You From. Last year, I somehow forgot about him, but PP reminded me of this..........................
.......ah gutter, sweet gutter............
....... :whistling:
Yes, not that many men went into my... ava. Yess...

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 16th, '11, 14:25

somehow i see some resemblance between him and Yuuchun. I'm sure is my eyes. :mrgreen:
Ps. I have to admit, i found him charming in Iljimae but I guess KDW charm is just too bright to let me see other ones at the moment. :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 16th, '11, 14:43

I ff-ed all scenes with LJK in Iljimae, but this one...

Yucheon?? :mrgreen:

And wait... are we talking about the same KDW??

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 16th, '11, 15:39

Nothing about the topic...Im just surprised :O...Ethlenn you changed ur avatar???
Anyway , Im loving it ...He is shooting my heart ! Yeah
& who didnt fall for him in PP... :wub: !

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 16th, '11, 16:16

Ethlenn, nice avatar ;DD Is that from Prosecutor Princess?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 16th, '11, 16:29

Hehe, thanks^^ No, it's the second episode of Queen of Reversal^^

Hmm... you know, no one will remove KNG from my sigi though :wub:

Oh, btw. on January 20 there will be broadcast of JYJ interview (it was scheduled at first to the end of December, then beginning of January, finally the date is set.), and no worries, I will upload it. So more Yucheon goodies^^

I planned to upload the show here, but well, It's just A show with Yu Ah In from 2009, so...
Have fun^^ :whistling:

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jan 18th, '11, 05:41

Whoa! I liked this drama and it was a really good scandal! They didn't drag it out AND ending was perfect! YAY!

shintee

Post by shintee » Jan 18th, '11, 05:47

oh no! SOMEONE PLEASE SEED!!! I AM STUCK FROM EP 15 ONWARDS

shintee

Post by shintee » Jan 18th, '11, 09:41

man, must have been something wrong with my com/torrent programme (sheepish 'hee hee') works just fine.
I will seed too after getting the episodes ^_^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 18th, '11, 11:03

If you can wait 2 weeks, I will reseed, now I had STUFF on my HD, sorry. But this is not seed request thread.

shintee

thanks but it is OK

Post by shintee » Jan 18th, '11, 11:20

Ethlenn wrote:If you can wait 2 weeks, I will reseed, now I had STUFF on my HD, sorry. But this is not seed request thread.
hey there! it is OK, runs now - I think there was sumthing wrong with my torrent programme or com or something.
yeah, I took a peek at the seed request thread and sungkyunkwan scandal was not on it. OH WELL.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 18th, '11, 11:23

If it's not, just create one^^ Nothing's against it.

But in case of any problems with particular epiosde, pm me^^

shintee

skk scandal

Post by shintee » Jan 18th, '11, 11:41

Ethlenn wrote:If it's not, just create one^^ Nothing's against it.

But in case of any problems with particular epiosde, pm me^^

LOL! thanks!
oh I c! I didn't know that we could do that!
:mrgreen:

btw, just curious, how do you re-add a torrent file and seed for other ppl after removing the torrent file once already? when I want to seed, I usually just download the episode, and then leave it on after it has already been downloaded for like 2 weeks or sumthing then delete. my com not enough hard drive space that's why. always hv to keep clearing

lol, is this question kinda dumb? :blink
but probably when you shift the downloaded file, cannot right?

toenail

Post by toenail » Jan 18th, '11, 13:11

I'd love to seed SKKS too, but the series got pushed down. On my client, usually only 5 files that people can d/l from mine, and those are the newest files only. My SKKS was downloaded quite long time ago. How do you put a file as priority for seeding?

(Sorry to ask seemingly technical question, but as my goal is to seed SKKS in particular, I hope this could be asked here?)

s2nhii

Post by s2nhii » Jan 18th, '11, 14:13

i love this drama~ mainly because of micky & joong ki XD love them~

PS. guys help to bring JYJ to Australia by going to this link and LIKE it!!!

http://www.facebook.com/jyjaustralia

thanks a billion~

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 18th, '11, 16:22

I'm anything but a tech expert but here's what I can think of:

shintee
you can redownload the torrent file (click on one of the arrows) and then tell your torrent client to save it in the folder where you moved your file to, it should then find the file and seed automatically - if it doesn't, click on force recheck . Or you can just move the file you want to seed back into the folder you usually use for the downloads.

toenail
you can move torrents upwards in the queue and you can also pause or stop other seeds if you want your client to concentrate on only one. You can also click on high bandwidth, to boost a certain torrent I think.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 18th, '11, 18:28

To boost up, you can give all bandwidth to one file, by clicking with the right click on the file and then choosing "bandwidth allocation/priority" --> high.
If you removed the file and after some time you will put it back (like I will do in February), just be sure the file has the same name as the file here on DA, then click on the arrow to download the torrent. Torrent file will find the actual file and connect automatically. But I don't think it will work if the file is in other folder from all files you usually download.

@s2nhii: I don't have the facebook so I can't help you, sorry^^ But even if I did, you'd have to bribe me to help Australia before Europe. A huge bribe...

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 19th, '11, 03:23

I really, really, really enjoyed watching this drama. I liked it so much I'm watching for the 2nd time already! Really great story, lovable characters and lots of cute guys walking around. LOL. Still not yet done writing my review for this. I'll upload it on my blog ASAP. ^_^
Issy wrote:Re-cloths
To be honest comparing to those beautifully coloured kimonos, hanboks have no appeal to me. They might look like flowers from the top (not many people sitting on the the top to admire its one beauty side except for angels :mrgreen:) but all women look pregnant from sideways. Not to mention their pick and mix bright colours. Not so calming. I find most of those kimonos designs a real piece of art.

Then I noticed something after watching kdramas for over a year. There is certain loudness and exaggerations in their way of life that lacks calmness. It is in their every way of life. From loud fast talking, very deep and sometimes over the top rmotions, using so many different colours in their clothing, their designs on Walls ...
I don't mean to offend Koreans by saying this and no cultural disrespect is intended but this is my observations from watching over 50 dramas for one year. I liked it sometimes and not very much at other times. It gives me headache when I not in a good mood but it also gives me happiness (with their way of conveying love and emotions) when I need it. But coming from mainly Jdrama background, I do miss the certain quietness and calm that I am used to. As I said to one od friend before, there is certain quietness that always present even in loudest Jdrama and there is certain loudness present in even mist quiet Kdrama and this never changes.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I love traditional the Korean and Japanese traditional garb, really bright and happy colors with lots and lots of fabric. LOL. I really enjoy watching period dramas coz I'm very much interested in foreign (specifically oriental) culture. But yeah, I personally prefer the traditional Kimonos coz they truly are works of art. I, too, come from a mainly Jdrama background and sometimes I miss the quiet zen that is the essence of traditional Japanese culture. Before I didn't like Kdramas coz they're too noisy when they talk (no offense to Koreans) but I eventually got used to it. I still can't tolerate Taiwanese dramas though. They're just too long and really dragging.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Jan 19th, '11, 11:07

A question to those that have watched this one already;

How does this compare to the drama "Painter in the wind"; From what i gather, the premise of the theme sounds the same!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 19th, '11, 22:30

Where the same? Girl dressing as a boy to pursue her dream and either enter the Confucian University or learn to become a great painter?
Plus, the story in Painter of the Wind has roots in a real history of Shin Yunbok (Hyewon), and there is no evidence that Yunbok was in fact a woman.

Sorry, not in the mood today... :cry:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 20th, '11, 00:47

Ah Ethlenn...and I thought you were mellow in love right now.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 20th, '11, 01:38

Well, I am, dear Peggy, I am madly in love, but real life catches me as soon as I escape its clench.
I've encountered few obstacles that I have to obliterate.

Be back to my normal self soon (fear me, I'm Dreadful Pirate Roberts!)^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 20th, '11, 09:03

I will help you feel good for five minutes if you will read a PM I am about to send...:-)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 20th, '11, 09:57

You did! You did!! Oh, thank you for the pm^^

bubbsie

go skk!

Post by bubbsie » Jan 20th, '11, 10:19

love this series!!! =)

i love moon jae shin!! i hope he get a lead role in a series soon!

shintee

oh i C!

Post by shintee » Jan 20th, '11, 11:38

arakira wrote:I'm anything but a tech expert but here's what I can think of:

shintee
you can redownload the torrent file (click on one of the arrows) and then tell your torrent client to save it in the folder where you moved your file to, it should then find the file and seed automatically - if it doesn't, click on force recheck . Or you can just move the file you want to seed back into the folder you usually use for the downloads.

toenail
you can move torrents upwards in the queue and you can also pause or stop other seeds if you want your client to concentrate on only one. You can also click on high bandwidth, to boost a certain torrent I think.
like that arrrr? thanks a lot! I will try it out.
for now, I will just leave the SKK scandal on (from episode 15 onwards) for the time being.

shintee

Re: go skk!

Post by shintee » Jan 20th, '11, 11:44

bubbsie wrote:love this series!!! =)

goo yong ha was my favourite for this show :roll I don't quite get the lee sun joon...he looks so serious aka grouchy the whole show, man, takes my appetite away :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 20th, '11, 12:47

The interview with JYJ is up on DA. Enjoy.
I bet fans are working on some subs now, I almost hear the sound of the keyboards...

bubbsie

Re: go skk!

Post by bubbsie » Jan 20th, '11, 14:18

shintee wrote:
bubbsie wrote:love this series!!! =)

goo yong ha was my favourite for this show :roll I don't quite get the lee sun joon...he looks so serious aka grouchy the whole show, man, takes my appetite away :mrgreen:
hahaha YES!! i totally agree with you! i dint really like lee sun joon too..i think its cos the way jae shin expresses himself its just so adorable.hahaha

yup my two faves were goo yong ha and jae shin!! =)

im moving on to watch my next k drama.was thinking of watching either baker king or the man who cant get married ( cos yoo ah in look so cute in it!hahaha)

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jan 20th, '11, 15:54

Ethlenn wrote:The interview with JYJ is up on DA. Enjoy.
I bet fans are working on some subs now, I almost hear the sound of the keyboards...
YAY! I hope the subs will be available here too. :D
Is this the same show where Yoochun said he kinda regretted tweeting his brother's pic?

About Ah In's vid, no one's seeding :cry:

@bubbsie and shintee:

I like all the boys of the Jalgeum Quartet. They have their own charms.

shintee

Post by shintee » Jan 21st, '11, 01:50

middlefour wrote:
Ethlenn wrote:The interview with JYJ is up on DA. Enjoy.
YAY! I hope the subs will be available here too. :D
Is this the same show where Yoochun said he kinda regretted tweeting his brother's pic?

About Ah In's vid, no one's seeding :cry:

@bubbsie and shintee:

I like all the boys of the Jalgeum Quartet. They have their own charms.
yeah I suppose. as a team, they really kick ass/have girls swooning all over them Mr. Green
seon joon (serious type), yong ha (playboy) and jae shin (bad ass) together they are perfect-o!

but hey, someone, am I the only one to think that... man! sometimes, I don't get this show! the things that the characters say sometimes is really quite dumb! I was rewatching episodes 1-3 and the things that seon joon says sometimes, at the assembly before the king and welcoming ceremony etc, I don't get his logic! and everyone else around him have that look on their faces like "damn this guy is smart. HMMM!!!!" while stroking their beards in a worldly fashion! but I am like, "HUH?"

am I the only one who thinks this way?
I thought the same thing in the Painter of the Wind though Moon and Park Shin Yang made it up for their great acting, especially Moon. is it because it is a period drama? or the subs are a little strange?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 21st, '11, 06:07

I guesss you are.
For me his logic is well presented and understandable.
Period drama syntax and rhetoric are also a little bit different from those modern ones.

shintee

Post by shintee » Jan 21st, '11, 13:22

errr, how is that even possible?

sigh, it's just that they come up with weird leaps of logic, like when seon joon says in episode 1??? or 2, signaled the guards in the entrance exams to SKK, he said "there is someone breaking the rules" and then the guards come up, understandably very grouchy and asks "WHO?" then he says "oh me. because I spilled ink on Yun Shik's paper"
moments like this, I am like :blink "dude what are you trying to say?" OK I get it but why do you say it like that? of course not just this, got others too.

-but oh well, whatever. I will just prepare myself for this kind of sense-but-not-sense dialogue. so long I get what is going on...
like yong ha too, in eppy 2 (I just started the beginning again tho I already know the end), he got all creepy with Yun Shik when they were talking abt room allocation. he said "I am yong ha, my nickname is ___' all suave like. then yun shik said "I am kim yun shik. no nickname"

then he got all creepy and said "not yet man, not yet" errr...why?

sigh, that's what I meant originally abt things not making sense. so that's why I am asking. sometimes I also think that something is lost in translation but what? sense?
that bothers me a bit, but not enough to stop watching :lol

seriously, if someone thinks like I do, lemme know. if you do get it, enlighten me

bubbsie

Post by bubbsie » Jan 21st, '11, 16:07

hmm dunno leh! ya actually for yong ha i felt that he got more manly n playboyish towards mid to end.in the beginning he was a bit girly.

but i still love him! cos he is so cheeky!

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 21st, '11, 16:09

I think you missed the point on those situations. Yes, if you read only the lines they don't make sense but if you watch the situation you should understand why they say what they say.

For example that Sun Joo's line was because he knew Yoon Shik was not there to take the test for herself but to replace someone else and sell answers so he wanted to scare her a bit by calling guards. (being substitute and selling answers was against rules)

I'm not sure what you mean with the nickname dialogy (as I can't check it myself atm) but I assume Yong Ha was just teasing her about her sex because he was suspicious about it.

Personally I didn't find anything strange at the dialogues. Maybe some witty comments didn't open up right away but after some thinking.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 22nd, '11, 01:22

It's too bad if you don't get it when you are watching a drama. I don't think anyone can explain the clever meanings of the dialogues unless you watch and get to learn who the characters are and find the basics in their personalities.
Also as Ethlenn says this is not modern speech... and these are all upperclassmen in a very Confucian type of education. I don't think they have a kindergarten there and it is a tough place for a young child and tougher for a young man.

It floated my boat from beginning to end. In fact the end gave a lot for the audience to play with. I know I arranged futures for all four students to my own satisfaction.

toenail

Post by toenail » Jan 22nd, '11, 04:32

shintee wrote:signaled the guards in the entrance exams to SKK, he said "there is someone breaking the rules" and then the guards come up, understandably very grouchy and asks "WHO?" then he says "oh me. because I spilled ink on Yun Shik's paper"
Yelling someone breaks the rules certainly got the guards alert right away, and that's to scare Yoon-shik. Spilling ink on someone's paper probably breaks the rule (what are you doing to someone else's paper, anyway?), but he knows he's safe because there's no proof he copies her blank paper.
shintee wrote:he said "I am yong ha, my nickname is ___' all suave like. then yun shik said "I am kim yun shik. no nickname"
Yong-ha suspects Yoon-shik, and and he's insinuating that as soon as he finds out what Yoon-shik is (a sissy, a transexual, or just a woman?), then Yoon-shik will be famous with the nickname he's gonna give her.

There are plenty of scenes which dialogues really need good translation to understand fully. I need the aid of recapers out there on some difficult scenes, especially the ones with Seon-jun's father or the King in them. How deep and complicated those characters are. Ah yes, I am quite serious with this drama, devouring each scene slowly, they get juicier that way! :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 22nd, '11, 11:30

Peggy, Viande and toenail replied with anything what I wanted to say, so nothing more to add. This drama requires something more than just "reading the lines" of subtitles. Anyone who watches this, has to be aware of the surroundings of those characters. Because in SKKS there is not even one sentence that is "said in the void" (if you follow my drift), there is always something else that accompanies it - be there other people on the scene, previous experience or situation.
So, to understand characters and situations better, it would be good to watch this drama with care, "devouring each scene slowly, they get juicier that way!" (quote: toenail, SKKS thread on D-A, page 55)

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jan 22nd, '11, 19:48

I watched this again last week and was surprised myself at how different my understanding of the first watch to the second. A good understanding of the background really helped, especially after reading recaps about the story. And I plan to watch it again. It's just soooooo gooooooood! :D

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 22nd, '11, 20:05

SKKS is a drama that resonates on many levels. It is a comedy for some and a thriller mystery for others. For me it was a revelation about the school days of some of the upperclass sons of important government people. It gave me more insights into the Joseon era and the background of how they carried on their decisions about politics. Certainly it was not an easy thing to be important in the ruling class with the factions to be worried about. Life and death was not something to ponder over. Just get rid of the ones who were in the way. Just don't get found out....
The more I think about this drama I am full of admiration for the writers and the director. They certainly knew their history and supplied the right amount for any audience who wanted to know more about that time. I am sure Korean students had easy access to all the references, but for me as a Western viewer, I also found many things that were so fascinating about the history apart from the top layer of the story.
The cast. of course. made it easy to enjoy every scene.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 27th, '11, 15:05

Uhm, we are aware that JYJ released Their Rooms, right? Some pics from that album are on my blog, so go ahead.
And don't click if you have a weak heart:
credits: baidu

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jan 29th, '11, 09:03

^^ I really like the first pic. My birth month. :D

Namae no nai Sora

Post by Namae no nai Sora » Jan 30th, '11, 08:40

I was trying to watch the drama on KBS World, but they messed up my recording with the airing schedule on the last episodes, so now I'll just wait for the box set to watch the whole thing. ^^;;;

a) Nobody mentioned anything about the interview where Yoochun said he'd be up for season 2? *shock* jk, maybe it's mentioned somewhere. We all know how often season two's come around... ~_~;;

b) It's coming out in Japan! woohoo~ A new fanbase to add. Actually, I'm more excited 'cause the novel will be released in Japanese (a language I can more easily read than Korean), although I'm still not sure of the exact relation of the novel to the drama. The novel's going to be two parts hard cover, which is very expensive. I emailed the Japanese publisher and surprisingly they emailed me back right away. No paperback is currently planned, they wouldn't release one right after the hard cover and they have to see how the book sales do first anyway. =P It would have to be an extremely popular book to be republished in a different format. Maybe I'll just have to pay >$20 for the first half. ;_; If anyone missed out on ordering the drama guide book, they'll be a Japanese version, which you can order through HMV.jp or Amazon.jp, etc. The first half of the novel is out in January, the second half in March and the broadcast started last week there. Though, it's on Mnet's channel instead of one of the network broadcasters, so I hope it can still pick up lots of fans.

c) I was looking at pre-ordering the dvd box set, which right now is confusing as all. Between the Korean site and the English fan blog, I guess I can conclude it's not coming out 'til March. I'll probably pre-order through Innolife's site, since there should be a third round of pre-orders from Feb. 1, even if their English instructions are sketchy as all. The Japanese side is fine, though. I don't know if there's any point in getting the director's cut if there aren't English subtitles on the extras, though. Anyone ever had English subtitles on a Korean drama commentary track? Would the NGs/makings normally be subtitled or does that only happen with a Region 1 release?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 30th, '11, 12:39

I was pondering over reporting Yucheon's interview, but wishful thinking, even in case of that charming boy, is not working for me. There won't be season 2.

As for DVD set, the DC will be out on February 25. And NGs without subs.

As for Japanese version of the novel or drama guide. Am I whack? Japanese is easier for me too, but it doesn't mean I will choose the easier road. Oh no... Plus, Korean names sound good in Korean only...
But well, Japanese publish those in a fancy way (if anyone saw or have Miindo guide, you know what I'm talking about^^) so it's part of the collectible.

Namae no nai Sora

Post by Namae no nai Sora » Jan 30th, '11, 14:38

Korean is terrible in Japanese. All that katakana looks so bad. It took me over ten years to get this far in Japanese, I don't think I'll spend another decade on Korean before I can read the book. :lol

I wish buying the director's cut set was a little easier. oh well... ^_^;;

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 30th, '11, 14:51

That thought should not occur after watching SKKS, dear. We should do what seems to be impossible, if we need a miracle, we should create one. (oh, I think I'm that close to madness).

And writing in Korean is easier than in Japanese (I don't see katakana as something really difficult, jo?), but the pronunciation, and ortography, omo...
I don't trust translations, while we are breathing we should learn more^^

DC will be out on YesAsia too.