My Girlfriend is a Gumiho - SBS 2010

Discuss Korean drama series here.

What do you think of "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho"?

5 Excellent
58%
4 Very Good
24%
3 So-so
11%
2 Not so Good
5%
1 Bad
2%

Total votes: 55

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 22nd, '10, 17:35

JiveTalkinRobot wrote:How long do the episodes take to get subbed? I believe 13 is airing tonight and 14 tomorrow. Will they be subbed by the weekend?

Can't wait...

...I agree on the light comedy vs tragedy part. I signed up for a light comedy not a tragedy, so I hope it ends up happy.
Sorry, that's not how it works. ;D If you think about Withs2 subs, not the episodes on Viikii. You'll get to see the 13th episode...hmm... after 2 weeks or so. It's usually 1, maybe 2 episodes per week.

I don't know much about viikii, bet they seem to have a real nice grasp on the situation. They have 12th episode subbed already, so I think they could be done by the weekend.

I signed up for unknown. I didn't know it'd be this cute and fluffy but I love it so they better get this right. ;D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 22nd, '10, 17:56

WITHS2 is at the 9th episode right now. They're quite fast with this, but not fast enough if you want to view right after it's been screened.

Viikii is the best solution for that. The series is usually uploaded the very evening/night it's been aired and subs are ready by morning.

So, we should have it by Thursday night (CET) and 100% subbed by Friday noon or so. In Viikii, that is. Which works fine for me.
I mean, the subs are sometimes even better than the more "by a group" ones and the quality is good for a video on the net.
Personally, I download the series as well, since I do want to re-watch it in nice quality after it's done, but right now, Viikii is good enough.

I want to see what happens and I can't wait around till WithS2 get going since they can't release as fast as they'd need to to catch up.
I don't blame them and I thank them for their work, of course. They are one of the most popular subbing groups for kdrama and they're ok.
But I can't wait around for the subs from there when I'm dying a whole week to see what happens next. I don't have the patience. :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 22nd, '10, 18:14

It takes less time with viiki cause they have more staff to do it. Plus, as they (mostly, not always) translate from Chinese (cause it AIRS with chinese subs, don't ask me how, in China), that is why it is so fast.

WITHS2 are slower cause they have more projects and usually they are 2 translator at most or each episode (they change around).
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 22nd, '10, 18:44

That's great news. I've been ok with the Viikii. There's no way I'm waiting another two months now that I am into it.

If you had told me no to start watching at all until S2 was done, I would be ok with that.

I'll be sure to download the high quality version when they are done though.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 22nd, '10, 19:02

I actually managed to last a week or two without going for Viikii.
Then, I couldn't handle it anymore. Ahaha. I had to seeee!!!! :crazy:

aility

Post by aility » Sep 23rd, '10, 07:06

All the more motivation/reason to learn Korean, or at least try to ^^

Those spoiler tags really are not helping me, as my curiosity always makes me click them... Now I feel a bit reluctant getting started on the show, hum...
Made by Orion ^^

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 23rd, '10, 16:15

It's definitely worth it to watch.

Although you may have a point, as a relative rookie to Kdrama I'm not used to the tragedies that take place in these things. I don't like characters built up for me to relate to and then embrace only to see them die...

Hopefully no one dies in this or some tragedy takes place. Wouldn't leave a good feeling in my stomach.

On a positive note, the Viikii should be up tonight?! Yes?!

Also, I thought about it, as a guy I never thought the main actor was that good looking (Lee Seung Gi?). I also think that he doesn't fit the part of "cool, good looking, rebel" too well...maybe the naive but ultimately warm hearted type. I never see any mention of him in these posts either, so why is it that he's so popular?

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 23rd, '10, 18:07

JiveTalkinRobot wrote:It's definitely worth it to watch.

Although you may have a point, as a relative rookie to Kdrama I'm not used to the tragedies that take place in these things. I don't like characters built up for me to relate to and then embrace only to see them die...

Hopefully no one dies in this or some tragedy takes place. Wouldn't leave a good feeling in my stomach.

On a positive note, the Viikii should be up tonight?! Yes?!

Also, I thought about it, as a guy I never thought the main actor was that good looking (Lee Seung Gi?). I also think that he doesn't fit the part of "cool, good looking, rebel" too well...maybe the naive but ultimately warm hearted type. I never see any mention of him in these posts either, so why is it that he's so popular?
Two words - Shining Inheritance.
As I remember, he got very, very famous because of that drama and later he started to sing and host variety show. He may not be the best looking guy but I don't really doubt his acting skills.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 23rd, '10, 20:33

He's a singer, that is why The Carp, oops, Lee Seungki is so popular^^
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 23rd, '10, 20:46

He does kind of look like a carp huh?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 23rd, '10, 20:59

Well, considering most of his early episodes in Gumiho featured him with his mouth open most of the time, yes... I'd say carp. :lol

We're watching Shining Inheritance now. It's soap opera. It's melodrama. They cryyy and cryyy. It's a series any ajumma will like.
And since this is something any ajumma would like, of course, they find this guy an awesome actor. So far, even there, he sucks.

Yelling and crying a lot does not make a good actor. So far, he's only been doing some yelling. I'm sure he'll do some crying later on.
He's adorable, ok? He's cute, kinda good looking for a normal dude (not for a celebrity) and he's got an ok voice. That's about it.

P.S: I'm hating this series so far. Shining Inheritance. I swear, if the leading girl don't stop leaking every few minutes, I'll hurt someone...

aility

Post by aility » Sep 24th, '10, 07:28

Lee Seung Gi is really popular due to his singing, but also because he shows a really nice personality through the variety shows. but his looks is not WOW. He has the boy next door look.

It is funny how he get casted for roles that really doesn't fit his looks though, such as a spoilt rich chaebol kid...

Yeah, Shining inheritance consists of 90% crying, I bet. I don't know why you are watching that Orion!!
Made by Orion ^^

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 24th, '10, 11:38

Viikii has pretty much subbed the new episodes already ;D I think that I'll never use subing squads again ;D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 11:55

Aility, my mom insists that it's awesome cause it was one of the first kdrama she ever watched by herself, from mysoju, waaay back when.
Of course, she's seen so much better since then, that she probably has a false sense of "awesome series" since she's also been getting bored. XD

As for The Carp, I can appreciate a good persona when there are some idiots *cough Gaysha *cough* who don't mind theirs for their career.
So yes, I prefer a less attractive and less talented guy that at least tries and at least uses smart moves to get himself famous and do his work.

And damn it, I can't watch the series right now. Mom went on emergency babysitting for my niece and we always watch together. Have to wait.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 24th, '10, 15:45

Well what's interesting is that he does fit into the role that the character has developed into. He matches it perfectly now either that or his acting has change my perspective as the series went on.

I won't be able to watch until tomorrow night, can't wait! No spoilers please...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 16:12

Here be spoilers for 13 and 14
Damn... damn damn damn... Things were going so well and then went bad very very fast. I'm all for Dae Woong's first decision, but I think he's making a mistake now.
I mean, the woman has chosen a 50 year life just to be with him and be happy. So, doesn't he get it that she'll only be happy if she's with him? Even if she dies sooner?

Another thing bothering me is the Emo Doc. He's said some weird things. Does he really know what's going to happen or did he finally turn evil and selfish on us?
Does he know, for sure, that she will die once the tails are gone, or is he trying to separate her from Dae Woong cause the ol' love virus is getting to his cold heart?

If he's having feelings though, he should know how sad this would make her. I do think he might be the one to croak in the end if things keep going this way.
I mean, he might die for them to be together. The other two. If his blood is really doing her bad, maybe by dying himself, the process will stop or something?
I dunno. I just hope they have convinced the Hong sisters to make a good ending. They write nice stories, but they need to let go of this want for sudden tragedy.
If they want to make a tragedy cause they think a sad ending makes a better work (idiocy many succumb to), they should make a drama series. Not a comedy.
They started a fluffy romantic comedy and they should end it like that. Crying in-between and problems etc is fine. But an ending has to be good when you begun like this.

Also, are we sure it's 16 episodes? We're already at 14 and it seems like 16 is a bit rushed. I mean, I guess they can wrap it up, but it still feels a bit too short a time.

P.S: Ok. Never try to use google translate for Korean language. I tried looking up the news on the official site. I tell ya, that's one messed up text. XD

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 24th, '10, 16:42

There's nothing on extending on the official Website as well on Daum Cafe. But Shin Mina
reportedly cried when she get to know the ending. Pressure on Hong sisters is growing.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Sep 24th, '10, 16:53

Ethlenn wrote:@JiveTalkinRobot: welcome^^
About the ending: Hong sisters want to stick to their original ending
which is tragic, as I read the official website but producers force them to alternate it.
The reason is simple: viewers are depressed over Kim Tak Gu, Cinderella's Sister, Bad Guy and many other serious/tragic (literally) dramas.
Another guy here. Just watching this to see Min Ah.

I also think the Hong sisters need to stick to their original ending which means that someone is going to die. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Only five episodes into it, and not looking forward to the ending, since I cannot see how the ending could be re-written an make any sense.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 17:15

You want them to stick to it? Heck, I don't. What is it with them and fantasy? It's like, all their non-fantasy series like YAB and Fantasy Couple are comedies and when they start to go into the realm of imagination, they want to kill people!

Lighten up, women! You started a romantic COMEDY, a fluffy, cute, sweet, adorable, lovey-dovey series for people who need something light and happy to watch and feel a little bit better in their day. So, end it as you started it. :cussing:

Ethlenn, my thorn, is there any place to vote or something? About what the viewers want and expect? Any way I could go there and lend a tiiiiny hand? Cause I will hate this series AND the Hong sisters with passion, if they kill either character.

P.S: wmcnair370, the series is a fantasy. It's a fairytale. They sure as heck can re-write the ending. I can tell you at least 3-4 different ways, right off the top of my head, with which they can end it in a happy note with it making sense.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 24th, '10, 17:33

Aww, Orion, wuv, sadly not.
But if you happen to have an account on *cough* SBS *cough* , you can write your opinion. :mrgreen:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 17:48

Well, won't go that far. I'm sure the viewers also want a happy ending so I bet the Hongs are getting enough pressure as is. I'll curse them for life if they turn this into a tragedy.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Sep 24th, '10, 17:51

Orion1986 wrote: P.S: wmcnair370, the series is a fantasy. It's a fairytale. They sure as heck can re-write the ending. I can tell you at least 3-4 different ways, right off the top of my head, with which they can end it in a happy note with it making sense.
But can the Hong Sisters re-write it?

Not really a fan of them. I am afraid that they will fight re-writing it until it is too late, and then come up with a lame happy ending. The only thing I am thinking about right now is that they both die, cause I don't want to see one die, and can't see them writing a happy ending.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 24th, '10, 17:57

In all seriousness, like I've said earlier...I am new to Kdramas and not a seasoned vet who has built up a heart of steel that can tolerate tragedies.

New to me is how emotionally invested you can get into these characters. Shows in the US don't provide this kind of character development and depth (well maybe until recently with shows like Lost and Heroes etc.)

I think I will seriously be pretty bummed for about a week if something happens to Mi Ho. Odd, but true.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 17:59

Well, it won't be that difficult to write if the plot is made so that they only need to change a small part of it. They can change things if they're small.
I mean, if there would be a scene of goodbyes and death, they could easily turn it into that God Granny showing up and saving them.
Or then something happening because of all the different blood and "construction material" Mi Ho has in her which results to her not dying after all.

It might seem a bit "cheap", but I prefer it to a tragedy. They made the mistake of writing a story that misguides and fools the audience to think it's a happy one.
So if they did something as low and despicable as that (lying to the audiences about what they are watching), they can sure as hell get in gear and fix it.

You make a romantic comedy. The people watching get attached to the characters. They like them, they like their happiness and want the best for them.
They want romance and a happy ending. Something that life doesn't always offer. Romantic comedies like this IS from the beginning, create certain expectations.

Like JTR says, you start to bond with the characters and seeing how it's all fluff, you accept the fact that things will turn out good for them and their lives.
It's not a drama or a generally sad series where you prepare yourself for tragedy. To lure audiences into a false sense of security and then kill the characters, is cheap.
It's low, it's horrible and it violates the rules of how movies and series work by manipulating human psychology. You just don't change genre at the end of a series.

I'm all for surprising endings in thrillers or movies/series where you expect that and make sure you don't get deeply attached to the characters.
Characters who, btw, are less approachable and easy to love and see in a happy light, therefore their "ending" is not as difficult to bare.

But to make a happy series and then kill people off just for shock value or because you think tragic endings are artistic and somehow of better quality, is plain sick.
As much freedom as one has with their story, storytelling rules and the rules of genres still exist. They exist for a reason. Because they create the best possible experience.
You can play with a story all you want, but there are certain things you don't play with. Certain things that are immoral to do and simply ruin the flow of a good story.
Changing genres within a series and gathering a fluff-loving audience for the sake of popularity only to give them something they never signed up for, is just wrong.
Last edited by Orion1986 on Sep 24th, '10, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 24th, '10, 18:09

There's so many angles they could take to "end it right."

I mean..it would be slightly predictable...but I am pretty sure if they go the tragic route it's predictable anyway.

On a side note, I see that there's some avis to download as opposed to Viikii. Does this mean that S2 has kicked it into gear and caught up?

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... tm#1327629

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 18:12

WithS2 are currently at Episode 9. The video files for all episodes have been released. Even 14. But the subs haven't come out for those yet.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 24th, '10, 18:59

Rather sadly I did not continue watching the episode last night here on TV. It was the one where Seunggi got the orb put back in him. I just felt it was dragging after that so did not finish that episode.

This to me is a fantasy. How can it be anything else?? It's a ninetailed fox for heaven's sake. She cannot change no matter what they say. Certainly she can't be the means of killing off the human she thinks she likes in order to live herself as a human. Not possible even in a fantasy.

So...somehow the Hongs have to satisfy the fantasy side and still not make a tragedy out of the story. No-one should die. That is rule No.1.. The non-humans can do all sorts of tricks to keep them going. They also can do all sorts of tricks to keep the human alive. IT'S A FANTASY Hong ladies. Where are your thoughts in the orbit of imagination????

The ninetailed fox can fly away and enjoy another 1000 years somewhere. The handsome Devil can go with her or not. Then the nerd can go on to be a famous martial arts actor but for heaven's sake let him lose the very unattractive human girl.
It's not that difficult to make it a funny ending. Emotions should not get the upper hand for the ninetailed fox. She's a wifty creature and should remain so because she is charming that way.

Peg

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 19:36

It may be fantasy and it may have to do with Gumiho, but in its core, the series is a romantic light comedy about a couple of cute characters. That's the base.
When you give that to the audience in such an upbeat and happy style and tone, you give them a fairytale, or rather "Disney version" ending. All goes well.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 24th, '10, 20:02

I think that Gumihos and humans don't mix well.

??GRUDGE?? Revenge of the Gumiho is a very dark tale.

I want to see a happy ending in our Gumiho story and so that is why I would have her free and up and away without any sadness at all.

Peg

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 20:31

That's not a happy ending. Not for this particular Gumiho. She is in love. They are two souls in love with each other. Happiness for this character, is being with her soulmate.
This isn't a Gumiho documentary or a series on the Gumiho legend itself. It's like any other romantic comedy, but with a Gumiho twist. As a romantic comedy, it should end like one.

Had the story been written with emphasis on the Gumiho nature/legend, then they could do what they want. But when at its core, it's a romantic comedy, they can't.
She could be a fairy and he could be human. She could be a cat and he a... carp. It doesn't matter since the base of the story is a fluffy and cute romance between two characters.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 24th, '10, 21:34

I see your point of view clearly and it is a romantic comedy. But oil and water do not mix and somehow I do not think the gumiho persona can be set aside. She is what she is and there is no way she can be with a human. She does not even really know what a human is, nor does she know from personal experience how to behave like a human. In the drama she is now only copying what she sees humans do, but not necessarily will she know what or why. Her memory will not be there as a gumiho nor will she have memory of learning from birth as a human.

Miho is a fey creature. She thinks like a will o' the wisp and comes and goes. In this fantasy she also fantasizes about not going back to her picture self. What she imagines is human life is really not what she would get if it happens.

Will she remember being a gumiho if HONGs turn her into a human? If so,then will she regret after being human and not being able to do anything fanciful like zipping from here to there in a flashIf she does not remember then she won't enjoy meat as before and maybe she will get bored to tears with life as it really is.

There are all sorts of details to be fixed no matter how the HONGS write the rest. It really is a fascinating problem.
I don't think I want her to go back to the picture,. Got tobe a better solution.

Peg

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 24th, '10, 21:45

Peggy - I see your point, however I think this has been addressed a few times during the build up.

1) There was a scene (forgot which episode) where Lee Seung Gi asks Mi Ho if she really understood what it meant to be human; that it may not live up to what she's expecting and isn't nearly as cool as being a gumiho. That humans are simplistic creatures that can only do simplistic things, etc. While I can't draw it off the top of my head it was convincing and I believe she does understand.

2) Gumihos also aren't supposed to fall in love with humans, which she did. Love drives people to do crazy things. Love makes someone want to be with the other person forever and not be "whispy"...you don't leave the person you love.

3) Regardless of whether she will like it or not, whether it suits her personality, or her previous lifestyle...the fact of the matter is that right now she wants to be human more than anything. She's wanted to be human for over 500 years. She's not just going to, at the last minute, change her mind and fly away because "that is just how a gumiho is." It doesn't matter if she understands what being a human is, she wants to be one more than anything...if anything not understanding what a human is probably helps (sometimes being a human isn't all it is cracked up to be lol).

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 22:01

I also get your point of view, which is why I said that the Gumiho nature isn't the main story here. They don't have to consider her Gumiho-ness absolute or stick to the Gumiho "rules".
This isn't a Gumiho story with a sidestory of romance, which would make it important to keep the general rules of the creature and her nature and character as that creature.
This is a romantic comedy with just a garnish of a Gumiho story. Which means that the rules applying for a romantic comedy are more imporant than the ones that do for her nature as a Gumiho.

All the things you say make sense if we look at it from a Gumiho/creature/mythology etc point of view, but romantic comedies cannot be seen or written with such a cold state of mind.
This is fantasy and fantasy can have its own rules. Mi Ho might be a creature, but she has a human soul. The series itself makes sure we see her as a person that just happens to be of a Gumiho nature.
Right off the bat, we are shown she is like any other person with a few differences. We see her potential to be human and how she feels, laughs, cries, loves like all humans do. So, she is human, even in spirit.

Also, I agree with JTL. She understands and appreciates human life more than most humans themselves. She knows what life is, how joyful simple things like family and love are and she wants to have them.
Just like all humans do. But being on the outside for so long, she has been able to appreciate humanity better and that makes her desire to join "us" even more noble. She chooses a flawed species because we have some good, irreplaceable qualities.

You are looking at it from a less romantic point of view. You look at it as a Gumiho story or as a scientist would about what "makes sense" and not what is romantic and ultimately more meaningful to do.
"Love conquers all", "Persevere and you'll be happy","Love is all you need" and all these are what romantic fluffy works show. So, as a romantic comedy, it has to focus on these despite any character's nature or form.
"If you love like a human, you suffer", "Try as you may, things won't work out" or "Stop trying to get what you want", aren't exactly moral lessons a romantic series for young people should try and give its audience.
The sweet, persistent and loving heroine has to overcome her issues, get her happiness and become human so she can show us the triumph man has over his/her destiny and how it's important we love and work to fulfill our love.
They are basic "life" messages such series must have, depending on genre and target audience and also, storytelling and scriptwriting. They are the basics of basics in romantic light stories, no matter what kind of stories they may be.

Most of the old fairytales and legends had bad endings for such stories. You know why? To scare people or keep them in line. "A Gumiho should not love a human". "A mermaid can't be with a prince".
Meaning "If you're poor, you shouldn't mess with the Kings" or "Don't think about love, it's a mess. Work in the fields instead". They were made to keep people dumb, without goals and working. They were propaganda for kids and peasants.

We live in a modern society now. What we try and teach our kids and young adults has changed. People nowadays want happy endings in such fairytales. We want to be encouraged and shown how you have to fight for what you want.
So, even from a society standpoint, ending this in tragedy, is wrong for this day and age. It's a modern romantic comedy. Started as one and should end as one. Gumiho or no Gumiho, it doesn't matter what she is or isn't. She's the heroine of a romantic comedy.
Last edited by Orion1986 on Sep 24th, '10, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 24th, '10, 22:06

:-) JTR

Yes I see all those things, but what is most fascinating to me really is that we are so involved in our own ideas about a mythical creature, and we want to be sure that things work out for her. That's wild don't you think.??

The mysterious question for me at the moment is why the Devil guy is there. Is he trying to get revenge because the girl he keeps referring to in the past left him? I forget her name but it began with a 'G' I think. Why does he have power over a gumiho? I must have missed something about his appearance into the drama. He surely is nice to look at but he is quite coldhearted.

Also if Miho does succeed in becoming human and she has no memory of being a gumiho, then surely she won't know who Dae..? is at all. She will be like an amnesiac.
She can't be allowed to be human and know she was once a gumiho. That changes everything. She might be attracted to someone entirely different.Maybe the Devil guy 8)

Who is Granny? I did not see that reference so must have missed that part.

Peg

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 22:11

Granny is the Goddess that made Mi Ho and kept her in the painting.

Also, since it is fantasy, Mi Ho can keep her memories, if the writers want her too.
And she can still be human, just with some extra memories. It works cause it's fantasy.
The romance and lightness of the series is crucial. All else must work to keep those going.

As for the hot n' sexy Emo Doctor, I don't think he's bad. Hurt and a bit cold, yes.
But not evil. Just let down by love. Given up. But he seems to have a kind heart.

.... And a nice body.... Could use 5-6 kilos though. A bit on the skinny side.
Not that I'd kick him out of bed or anything. Tie him or cuff him on it, yes... :whistling:

aility

Post by aility » Sep 24th, '10, 22:16

It is a drama, logic doesn't apply here. And if she did turn into a human and forget her feelings or whatever, still, in the dramaworld, the love that these characters feel are SO STRONG that it can overcome anything else. It is like movies/dramas about reincarnation blabla. if two person are meant to be, then fate will bring them together no matter what, even if one is human and the other one is a pig (wouldnt make a good drama though, this human/pig plot, hahahha)
Made by Orion ^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 24th, '10, 22:22

Orion.,

Just read your post. I am still treating this drama strictly as a fantasy. That is how I see it still. I cannot agree that Miho has a human soul at all. She has always been a ninetailed fox.

The story of the drama is that she wants to get out of that picture prison. She knows who she is and she wants to be free.

I think she lands herself among humans and finds she can do lots of things AS A GUMIHO in the human world. She has abilities as gumiho that help her to get things she likes, but I don't think she has the capacity to know just exactly what a human being is all about. She has always been told humans are liars and deceitful. Devil man reminds her of this all the time. Even tho she knows he has more power than she does, she still believes him and drinks the potions etc etc. The giving of her orb to the human is because she thinks that will help her become a human. I don't think she is in love with him. She is still a gumiho. He takes the orb because he wants the strength to do the martial arts film. He is not in love with her. I do not know if the HONGS want to make them a couple or not. The way they write it they would have her change into a human and he will die. I want to know if she will be sad or even remember him when she is no longer a gumiho.
I love this fantasy. So many nooks and crannies for deceptions.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 24th, '10, 22:26

Of course I really would enjoy seeing Miho falling madly in love (properly) with the Devil man. I think he is special. His cold heart is from unrequited love I suspect, so he is ready for a little seduction by a pretty gumiho. :roll

Not all devils are vicious. some are enjoyable.
Last edited by Peggy on Sep 24th, '10, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 24th, '10, 22:26

The Emo doctor is not angry at Mi Ho at all...it may appear like he is early on in the series, but as things unfold you get the sense that he really wants to help her. Unfortunately, he could care less about the human.

He's half human, half...something. I believe this is why his blood can turn mythical creatures into humans.

In the past, he loved a goblin woman named Gil Dael (or soemthing like that) who wanted to become human. Unfortunately, I think she ended up falling in love with the human who kept her stone and asked Emo Dr. to kill her. I think he was the third wheel just like now...

History is repeating itself...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 24th, '10, 22:31

Do you get the feeling that the Hong sisters have bitten off more than they can chew.??? I wonder if they read what we write. Funny if they did.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 24th, '10, 22:31

Peggy - Have you watched up to episode 12 yet? My work computer for some reason doesn't give me all the controls so I can't put spoiler tags in here...but I think you are missing some crucial facts.

aility

Post by aility » Sep 24th, '10, 22:34

Korean drama is incomplete without a third male wheel and a third female wheel. Sometimes I dislike these foursome-relationships. Only korean drama where the 2nd lead male and female werent annoying was Full House.

And I need to watch this drama before i can discuss anything about it :whistling:
Made by Orion ^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 24th, '10, 23:02

JiveTalkinRobot wrote:
2) Gumihos also aren't supposed to fall in love with humans, which she did. Love drives people to do crazy things. Love makes someone want to be with the other person forever and not be "whispy"...you don't leave the person you love.
No, no, no... I guess you read too little stories on Gumiho, my friend^^
Gumiho fall in love, genuinely or out of mischief, it depends on the cathegory they are in. It's complicated.

Ending for the drama:
Cha Dae Woong wakes up. He is lying under the big old tree in a gloomy forest. He checks everything, and smiles to himself. So all this was just a dream. What a strange dream indeed. Beads, magical creatures, foxes, hunters... On his way back be realizes that something is wrong with him, and suddenly sees the two bright lights, and after that feels pain. When he regains consciousness, he sees a young emo man close to him who comes closer and Cha Dae Woong thinks he's gonna kiss him. He feels warm, blue light.
Then in the dark shows up another person, glowing eerily.
--- Damn, I'm too late...
***Cha Dae Woong to himself***: Now I'm screwed....

Goodnight^^

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 24th, '10, 23:23

Ahahaha. Ethlenn, you rock, my thorn!

Peggy, how far have you gone into the series? I believe the things you say about them not loving each other or being in love like two young people, don't make sense.
Have you seen up till episode 14? Things change. I think that if you'd seen all that's happened, you wouldn't have the same views on their love or them anymore.

Also, in the latest episode (13 or 14) Emo Doc said he's a phantom... No idea what the actual korean word was though. If we knew, we could do a search. I don't know.
Well, he's half human too.. Half human and half emo... He's a humo... Wait.. That sounds a bit like another word, but that one's offensive when said. Offensive for certain people.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 24th, '10, 23:59

Hmmm yeah it looks like I am a Gumiho noob.

I learned something new today.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 25th, '10, 00:00

Orion - I didn't want to outright say it and spoil hahah, but yes even watching up to episode 12 will change your mind on their love Peggy.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 25th, '10, 01:07

It seems as though you both are up to a later episode than I. Well so far, I express what I think and imagine. I shall look forward to getting more details which will give me more insight.I think really up to now I don't feel any sparks between the human and Miho. she likes him of course but I don't feel passion or emotion that could be love. Certainly not from him.
I still would like the Emo man to get some loving and Miho is the natural one to do that. they are both from some strange existence and would be in same wavelength.

Really don't want to see anyone die.

Maybe Granny has the trick up her sleeve for the ending. :D

eyena6180

Post by eyena6180 » Sep 25th, '10, 01:47

I LOVE THIS DRAMA!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I love shin min ah in this drama...she looks so adorable and really pretty!!! especially her dimple and smile!! i hope i can be like her as pretty as her :roll :roll :wub: :wub: :wub:

lee seung ki quite cute in this also....he has something that make my eye on him :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :
mrgreen: [/size]

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 25th, '10, 09:10

13 was awesome but ughhhh....not liking how episode 14 ended. Seems like Dr. Emo is just getting everything his way.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 25th, '10, 09:54

Because that's the secret warfare of EMO way...
As I read, the next week will be the last week of the broadcast. if they change it in the last moment... well, SBS, fellas! :whistling: Because there were voices about extending.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 25th, '10, 14:52

I'm psychologically preparing for the worst...

...but part of me is still hoping for the best.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '10, 15:00

I'm preparing to hate the Hongs with passion and make it my business to badmouth them to any person I see taking interest in all their work in the future... Save for their non-fantasy ones.

But I'm also hoping for the best and am prepared to forgive them if they do change the ending and stop this pseudo-artistic trend to have tragic endings in their fantasy works.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 25th, '10, 16:06

well here's the thing....the irony with the Hong sisters attempting to be all artsy (but not really) with their ending is that to a viewer like me, it will make it less memorable. I won't want to think back on it as a positive experience and will likely over time forget and move on.

if it ends semi tragically or even some light ending where they both live but can't be together... I wouldn't be inclined to try and remember.

However, if it ends on a really creative and happy note...I'll look back on it and feel good.

My Girl as an example (ending spoiler):
kind of like how that show ended and even now I think back on it from time to time and smile

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '10, 16:34

Exactly. You remember some series because they were really sad and some because they were really happy. A happy series with a tragic ending does not stay with you.
Simply because it leaves you numb. You can't be happy and remember the good parts because of the ending, neither remember the pain and suffering when it's just the ending.

Which is why it's important not to change genre and tone within a series. Or if you'll do it, do it with good balance during the entire duration of the story.
Like Capital Scandal. Romantic comedy, but set in a time of turmoil. You have assassinations, sadness, betrayal but also comedy and fun times.

You do enjoy the comedy, but also get into the adventure/war drama setting and expect bad things to happen as well as the funny scenes you know you'll get.
So, even if a romantic comedy, it's not so fluffy or for such young audiences as Gumiho is. It's not a fairytale like Gumiho is presented. A Disney fairytale.

But a series that has "Awww! CUUUUUTE" written all over it is not the place to add tragedy. Either show us real drama and pain throughout, or then leave it out.
The series does not prepare the viewer for something bad to happen. For a tragic ending. So it can't just take a 180 and give an ending that doesn't match the build up.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Sep 25th, '10, 17:11

Like always, despite knowing better I got sucked into this Drama (I'm a sucker for Shin Min-ah) and cannot not watch!
I had a feel that it would come to this...

The Hong Bints keep jerking the audiences emotional leash with a repeated formula that simply appeals to the 'Wub' factor in you. They fail to address the head and heart too.
Ok, not reinventing the wheel here, but..does it have to be hundred of times in the same show???

I got far, but i feel it straining me, since I have to endure the same schemes all the time. And it's obvious that they force this certain art-direction for lack of anything more creative. Even thought the show has some decent OST's they are thrown around recklessly!
The fame has finally gotten to over their heads.

For crying out loud. Pick a direction and stick.

I liked the Idea behind this Drama (mixing mythical folklore stuff with the lofty-ness sense of a Korean Comedy) and I liked the first half.
But it gets draining to cheer and fall for the same old.

I hope the ending will at least give the characters a bit of backbone and closure. I really wonder if there is a message behind all this! And the Good Doctor needs more character development. Badly!

The Director and the aunt have gotten the better part of the package!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '10, 17:20

Look, the series does have some basic "messages" and all, but let's face it. It's a fluffy and cute comedy.
It hasn't said or done anything meaningful and it doesn't seem like it tried to. So no need for tragedy.

The Hong sisters should choose one genre and one type of series and stick to it, like you said just now.
If they wanted a big meaningful tragedy about love and humanity and the human psyche etc, they should make one.
Don't make a series that's otherwise shallow and only good (VERY good) for puppy romance with a tragic ending.

I also want to know more about the Doctor. He's so interesting, but they haven't really completed him.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 25th, '10, 18:14

Still have to wait for next week to try and catch up with you guys. So this drama is turning out to be something other than a fantasy??

Seems to me if you start out with a mythical creature or two, and mix them into real life (Ha..reel life) then you have to stay on the side of the fantastic. Otherwise you don't have a story.
If it is going to be a romantic comedy then it has to centre itself on the humans and work out the plots in their favour.

If it is going to weight the story on the side of the creatures, then you have to have a lot of fantastical events going on and the human are merely props.

Gumihos and humans don't mix even in Korean drama. If they do then you really have a fantasy. :roll

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 26th, '10, 16:59

Oh, Peggy, remember Fox Family? One of the foxes was granted the human shape after 1000 years and ceased to be a fox.

But this drama is a fantasy, it doesn't even rely on something more mythological in fox world. Well, apart from the basic that gumiho eats heart/liver. That's all. So one the scientific level it fails.
It started good as a romantic fluff. So we had constraining of Miho and her bewilderment of the human world. We had bickering between two main protagonists, lots of fluff and flying clouds.
It had some darkness in it - a shadow of Doctor who has some unclear past.
We had comedy - Director and Aunt delivered the best scenes in this drama.

But I guess Hong sisters or director watched too many crappy european artsy movies and wanted to add something meaningful. It usually kills fluff.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 26th, '10, 19:51

They should more concentrate on the cute stuff, imho. But... what can we do?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 27th, '10, 01:18

Well Chow Yun Fat is playing it for OTT style and he is right to do that. Larger than life he could be a gumiho himself. Love the Aunt. Wasn't she the Queen in 'Goong' ?

I just don't want to take this drama seriously. It should be kept as a fantasy and the emphasis should be on the sweet flyaway little gumiho. I don't want her to turn into a human bimbo.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 27th, '10, 01:20

Ethlenn,

Definitely remember
Fox Family. Great entertainment. Ha Jung Woo surprised me with his dancing.

Now that really did stay off the ground level with fantasy.
Last edited by Peggy on Sep 28th, '10, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 27th, '10, 15:40

I've been thinking about it and realized...

After I found out about the potentially (likely) tragic ending, it was really difficult to enjoy the light hearted moments in episodes 13-14. It was like a nagging thought in my head...kind of like,"oh that's sweat...but it's going to end badly for them..."

A real downer. I almost wish I didn't know that this was likely end tragically.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Sep 27th, '10, 16:17

I hear you!

This is really interesting psychologically, as to why they feel compelled to turn a comedy into a dark drama! Maybe I'm right believing that they simply like jerking the emotional leash.

There have been talks that the final format of the ending has yet to be decided. The Hong Bints are still unsure what they want to sell.

But from our collective experience with K-Dramas we can expect it to be sad (astronomically) or a confusing ending at best.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 27th, '10, 16:40

The final episodes air this Wednesday and Thursday from what I understand. Unless they already filmed both possibilities, I would find it very difficult to change at this point.

From my experience, light and fluffy usually stays light and fluffy.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 27th, '10, 16:41

Let's just hope for the best ;D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 27th, '10, 17:20

Light and fluffy stays light and fluffy because it should. So yes, let's all hope for the best. :pray:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 29th, '10, 09:02

Well I am looking forward to tomorrow to see what happens next. If it is tragedy for Miho I shall be sad. The last thing I saw was Emo getting paperwork and passports for Miho and a place to be arranged for her in Japan I think. He is very efficient. Wonder if he means to go with her..

At least there must be a happy ending for Sung Dong Il and the Aunt. She is so pretty and feminine and he is so bizarre for an action director. I mean he zooms around with his coat being a capelike vehicle. He really does 'out Chow' Yun Fat. I like the way he decided to play his role. His life is all drama. He should have a bamboo forest all to himself.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 29th, '10, 09:09

The Director is awesome. His whole style, gestures and even the way he speaks crack a person up.
And he doesn't overact the character, which would make it annoying (like a certain carp's character).

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 29th, '10, 09:56

Peggy wrote: His life is all drama. He should have a bamboo forest all to himself.
I guess this is the best description of his character.
Seong Dong Il is great. He was in Take Off, in Chuno, and the one old movie, I forgot the title. And looks like he will be in Fugitive as well. The Aunt is the Queen Mother from Goong, Queen Maya from QSD, bad daughter from Goodbye Solo, I like her^^ ANd yes, she has the figure of 20 y.o.
Only scenes with them are worth watching on the actors level.

Plus Shin Mina is cuuuuuuuute^^

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Sep 29th, '10, 11:24

I agree! Director calls Yun Fat brother, and is quite fitting! In so many ways!

Dare_Devil09

Post by Dare_Devil09 » Sep 29th, '10, 16:01

OMG!!! am so not emotionally ready for the ending of this series AHHH!~~~
but yet I can't stop watching this series over and over untill the 2 final ep are out AH!

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 29th, '10, 16:27

I am definitely not ready either. I keep telling myself to prepare for the worst, but there's still something inside me that wants it to work out. Alas, unless a miracle happened (crazy filming in the last week or so) it looks like the Hong sisters will end this in tragedy.

I tell yah, the Koreans and Japanese (and to a certain extent HK) have dramas on lock. To be this emotionally invested to a couple of characters on a TV shows is amazing.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Sep 29th, '10, 16:41

JiveTalkinRobot wrote: To be this emotionally invested to a couple of characters on a TV shows is amazing.
Saner people than us would call it anything but 'amazing'! :whistling:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 30th, '10, 06:47

Tonight the best scenes were definitely the Aunt and Mr. Director. How in the world she hefted him up steps and into the school while drunk is no mean feat. She is tiny and he is a bear of a man. This is one twosome that has to stay together happily.

I am not sure about Miho and Goofy. They seem to have flashes of emotion but then he still keeps his feet on the ground and knows she is not human and at the same time he really does have consideraton for her problems. I don't see him overacting. Grandpa is doing that.

Emo is lovely to look at .... Not so delightful to know..... and mystery to kiss.
Might be nice to find out however, He looks very charming.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 30th, '10, 11:50

Just watched 15... This is killing me. I won't rest until I see the last one!!! They better not have a tragic ending...

You know what though?
15 was fun! I mean, they still have laughs and funny scenes. They still have fluff. The aunt will have a baby and get married, all is going well.
A sad ending now will be even weirder! I mean, the way things are going, a tragic ending just doesn't make sense and won't look good.
This series is still a comedy. Any way you slice it, all points to a good ending. A sudden twist that saves the heroine and makes all well again.
It just doesn't look like a tragic fairytale. Not only will it disappoint the viewers who invested time and love for this, but it's also wrong in a storytelling sense.

Some more comments on the episode itself now:

Ok, the gay scene at the wedding was simply hilarious! We laughed our asses off! Ahaha! The look on Doc's face was priceless!!!

And that coffee confession the Director made was just adorable. I mean, a kyaa moment. So so so romantic and sweet. What a cute man!

Doc is being quite an idiot though. I mean, how can he not realize she was hiding something in that container down there? It was obvious!

Maybe, just maybe, what she did will save her? I mean, if his blood was what was making the bead sick and the bead is out, maybe she'll be saved?
Meaning, if the bead already gave Dae Woong's energy to her, even if the bead is destroyed, if it's out of her body, won't she be a human with half a life?
If they wanted to, they could end it that way. It makes sense and it gives us a happy ending. She's got half a human's energy, she can have 50 or so years.
This is fantasy and fantasy is something you can make your own rules for. So, I hope they did and I hope that they give us our happy ending to make this awesome.
If they do have a happy ending, it will make this one of my most favorite series. I'll have good memories and want to watch it again many times. Why they'd ruin that, I don't know.

Is it even possible that the whole tragic ending thing was a rumor? I mean, think of how much publicity and attention the series would get from it.
We're all biting our nails and looking forward to it even more. Is it possible they did this so that we'll be even happier and even more in love with it in the end?

It might be wishful thinking, but it's also a possibility. It's a good way to gain more attention and you know, make the viewers even happier and willing to buy the DVD out of pure relief if not utter love for it.

I just wait and pray. I really really really really want this to end well. If it does, I'll forgive the Hongs for Hong Gil Dong and trust them again. I'll love the series with all my heart and be 100% happy with it.