Bad Guy (SBS, 2010)

Post by Neliets » Jun 5th, '10, 21:35

Details

* Title: 나쁜 남자 / Nappeun Namja
* Also known as: Bad Guy / Bad Man
* Genre: Thriller, melodrama, mystery
* Episodes: 20
* Broadcast network: SBS
* Broadcast period: 2010-May-26 to 2010-Jul-??
* Air time: Wednesday & Thursday 21:55

Synopsis

Shim Gun Wook (Kim Nam Gil) plots revenge against the Haeshin Group, a large corporation to whom Hong Tae Sung (Kim Jae Wook) is the heir.

Cast

* Kim Nam Gil as Shim Gun Wook
o Kang Soo Han as Gun Wook (child)
* Han Ga In as Moon Jae In
* Kim Jae Wook as Hong Tae Sung
o Park Joon Mok as Tae Sung (child)
* Oh Yun Soo as Hong Tae Ra
o Moon Ga Young as Tae Ra (teen)
* Jung So Min as Hong Mo Ne
* Jun g**k Hwan (전국환) as President Hong
* Kim Hye Ok as Mrs. Shin
* Kim Jung Tae as Jang Kam Dok
* Ha Joo Hee as Jun Hye Joo
* Shim Eun Kyung as Moon Won In
* Park Ah In (박아인) as Da Rim
* Jung Seung Oh (정승오) as Uhm Sang Moo
* Jun Min Seo as (Tae Ra's daughter)
* Lee Ji Eun (이지은) as Sun Young (child)
* Song Ji Eun as Gun Wook's mother
* Ji Hoo (지후) as Lee Bum Woo
o Chae Gun (채건) as Bum Woo (child)
* Song Joo Yeon as Song Joo Yeon
* Baek Hyun Sook (백현숙)
* Kim Eung Soo
* Chu Hun Yub
* Go Eun Ah
* Toyohara Kosuke

Only few episodes are out and there wasn't topic about this drama, so I made one. Anyhow, after watching first episode - I was like WOW # And I really got entangled in it so I'll be definitely watching this show. I recommend you to check this out and Withs2 is subbing this already.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 5th, '10, 22:15

Correlation chart:

Official Website
A branch from it:
http://netv.sbs.co.kr/sbox/sbox_index.j ... =news_netv

Pictures from official website:
After first watching I wasn't so happy about the drama, but now, after re-watching, it suddenly became better.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jun 7th, '10, 21:53

I like the actress, to be honest. I loved her in Witch amusement and Dr. Kkang(more in Witch amusement, tho).

Anyhow, I feel that this start can be stretched out nicely and you can't really predict what kind of things may happen, that's why I find this one very interesting.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 7th, '10, 22:20

OK, I changed my mind, I can even understand the dog issue. I love this drama.
I'm waiting with impatience for Wednesday...
But I really have the same fear as for Chuno.
Did you notice they started to film dramas as movies? This one is shot in a unique technique, "from hand". I like it. And comparing to some, the technique still is visible as drama, but with more movie influence. :wub: :wub:
But SBS can not promote its dramas properly. Really, there's something wrong with broadcasts these days. First, MBC has problems with decent contemporart dramas, and produces great period dramas. SBS has overall problems.

I think there will be only topic for 2, 3 people at most. Everyone grabs Kdramas from here, no one comments. Jdrama section is more developped in this way. Sometimes I have the impression I'm tying to break the wall. :cry:
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jun 8th, '10, 23:43, edited 3 times in total.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jun 8th, '10, 23:10

That's so true.

But the saddest thing is that you'll see everything before me, because you don't need to wait for subtitles ;D

I think I'll try watching Goong for 3rd time but this time without subs. :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 8th, '10, 23:34

I'm not gonna spoil everything, be assured^^ I want to wait for subtitles so that everyone can participate in the discussion. That would be pointless to talk and no one to pick up the discussion.

Goong is a nice one to watch without subs. Yoon Eun Hye has a good pronunciation, as well as Ju Ji Hoon, so understanding is kinda easy.

This drama is not that popular in Korea, and I blame SBS for making a useless fuss around it. Do you know it was even scheduled not to be aired in Korea but in Japan instead? Bad Guy is the only drama that is airing simultaneously in Korea and Japan :D
So much potential in this drama, yet broadcast station is unable to use it fully.
Heck, they have KNG in it!! He alone could win any drama. Military held up his service so he could finish it. Doesn't it mean something?

On the other note, I'm liking more and more Moon Jae In, she's very down to earth girl, firm and focused.

New pics for Episode 04 are out (yes, they changed the title to Bad Boy, somehow it sounds strange to me, I will stick with Bad Guy, Gun Wook is not a boy anyway):
http://tv.sbs.co.kr/badboy/ click on 포토스케치 under the paper crane^^

Wallpaper:

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jun 9th, '10, 00:13

Ethlenn wrote:Bad Guy is the only drama that is airing simultaneously in Korea and Japan :D
I thought NHK wasn't going to be airing it until 2011. Has that changed as well or is it an independent station that's airing it in Japan atm? I hadn't seen anything about NHK moving it forward.

As for all the other stuff you mentioned, is all this re-arranging of scheduling and even changing titles after it starts typical of Korean tv? If the Japanese or Brits did that to me on a regular basis, I'd go nuts!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 9th, '10, 06:20

I just say what I read, I didn't check myself about the airing. But it was said on some Japanese forum that it will be aired at the same time. But who knows. I guess I need to check myself instead of relying on forums and dramawiki.

The mess with titles, scheduling and so on is not a regular basis, but it happens which drives me crazy! It was like this with Personal Taste: extend - not extend, extend - non extend. This rollercoaster for the last 3 weeks of airing. There were problems with Coffee Prince back then, so not often, but happens.

Subtitles for Ep 02 are out^^

Due to World Cup there will be no Bad Guy next week. The anticipation will most likely kill me. :mrgreen:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jun 9th, '10, 11:57

I think I'll be able to watch 2nd episode only next week or maybe tomorrow, because I have graduation ceremony on Friday and till then I should watch last episodes of Personal Taste and few episodes of Coffee House(new drama, which is interesting but acting or script isn't that good, watching only because of Eunjung. And I still should watch the rest of the Cinderella Sister(I dropped it at around 6th episode).

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 9th, '10, 13:07

축하 해요 on your graduation ^^

Sorry I'm off to watch episode 04 :D

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jun 9th, '10, 23:44

As a true drama addict, I couldn't resist the power of new subbed episode and I just watched 2nd episode. It made me confused or just puzzled. I can't seem to understand the male lead(ok - his overall intentions are revenge but what is he trying to do with MoNe and till now I haven't even understood the point of JaeIn, she is pretty much nothing so far.

To be honest, when TaeSung found out that the girl he loved was dead and he cried there, I really felt sorry for the guy and wanted to kick some GunWook ass. :mrgreen: I hope this turns out to be very interesting.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 10th, '10, 09:07

I just started watching. I gotta be somewhere so I didn't watch the entire first episode, but so far, it's intruiging, but the characters annoy me increbidly.

What I see so far is a gold-digger out to get some rich guy, a young rich n' stupid girl who wants to sweet talk the "bad boy" (I don't need a re-run of the oppa girl from Personal Taste), a b*tch actress who also digs him and this rich lady that I'm sure has some drama about her too.

After Sunao ni Narenakute, the last thing I want to see is another series where everyone falls for a guy that clearly has issues and is not the best of people.

Also, waaay too many characters and things happening and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Like I said, it's just the first episode and not complete so I won't judge just yet, but with what I've seen so far, this is how I feel. And I do think it's important to show the essense and feel of a series in the first episode because people will drop it if it doesn't suit their taste or is not to their liking. Not all will stick around to see the 3rd or 4th episode in hopes it picks up so they should grab people from the beginning and this isn't grabbing me yet.
Last edited by Orion1986 on Jun 10th, '10, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 10th, '10, 09:07

Yep, the episode 05 is gonna be intense, judging from the preview.
Ep 04 started to unfold some things, but still I'm not sure of Gun Wook's intentions as well. He seems to be torn between two extremes: hatred and vulnerability. Very, very strange.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 11th, '10, 12:31

Well, I'm one 1/3 into episode 2. I have to say, too many things going on and I can't focus on all of them, but at least some things are clearing up.

It ain't no mystery what Gun Wook wants. Wants to destroy the family and he'd be right to do so. What I'm not getting though, is if he had a grudge against the real son or the family. Cause the real son ain't to blame here. He was taken away from his family and turned into a prissy heir as well. Only difference is, he wasn't thrown out which, as we see, was a fate much worse than Gun Wook's.

I just hate most of the characters though. The pen girl too. Also, where the hell does she fit into all this? She just seems like an extra.

Gun Wook has a sad story, but this whole tough guy that's sometimes good sometimes bad image doesn't sit well with me. The actor/director/story are overdoing it with the toughness and I can't take some vengeful macho seriously. Sure, they're starting to unwravel him slowly, but I'd prefer a less smug image to begin with. He just looked way to happy and in love with himself in the first episode. I'm sure it works well for his character's story, but it just isn't my thing. I spent most of the first episode going "Yeah, yeah, you're tough, macho man, we get it, sheesh".

And I still can't tell if he's a good guy or not. He does want to destroy them, but he's on the psycho killer/hurt man border.

I also don't like how things unfold in the series. It's like, I didn't get what happened with the parachute and the radio etc etc. Are they trying to say everything he does/they show us is planned by him? Or does he actually not have a plan for everything? If he's not controlling all this stuff, those are quite a bunch of coincidences. And if he is, it's plain nuts cause no one man can conrol all of these things. It's just confusing. Too many characters, too many things happening and complicated stories within stories.

Also, the saving grace in episode 2, Kim Jae Wook. :heart: The reason why I picked the show up in the first place. I'm liking his character. His sister too. She might be easily impressed, but at least she and him got the balls to express themselves on how much the family sucks.

It's still not enough for me to like them though. I just don't hate them.

My wish for the series so far? For Gun Wook and Tae Sung to team up, destroy the family, grab the younger girl and little girl and hightail out of there. And please, won't they kick the pen girl out? Other than the fact that she's stumbling on this mess all the time, she's completely irrelevant so far.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 11th, '10, 12:51

Orion1986 wrote:
And I still can't tell if he's a good guy or not. He does want to destroy them, but he's on the psycho killer/hurt man border.
That's the main appeal of this drama. KNG can act as both in the same time.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 11th, '10, 13:02

Also, can I ask about the moustache? I mean, what does it signify for a korean man? Cause it annoys the hell out of me like with the guy from Take Care of the Young Lady. Does it show toughness? Manliness?

I mean, it meant the same things in my country, but during the 70's, 80's and before. During older times, everyone had it and during the later years and more recently, it was only very macho and usually uneducated or unrefined men that had it. Nowadays, if a guy has it, it's kind of lame. I mean, it's perceived as if he's trying to show he's macho to everyone which means he's insecure about his manliness. Also, it's more of a sign of a redneck. Moustache and beard can be modern, but when it's just the moustache, it's generally considered as something very uncool and unattractive.

So, in the series, it just enhances for me this feeling of disliking his character. It's like, easy with the testosterone, man. Ethlenn, he's not impressing me as an actor so far, cause any guy can act though, but I'm sure it's just too early to tell. You don't seem like a person who'd become someone's fan if they didn't rock. I'm expecting great things from this guy. :-)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 11th, '10, 13:05

Nah, KNG is having it in almost every movie (with few exceptions). I don't mind.
And believe me, KNG is the best actor of his generation in Korea. I'm not impressed easily.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 11th, '10, 13:09

I just wanna grab a razor and have at him! :rofl: Got the same feeling with Take Care of the Young Lady. Shave yourselves, men! :P

This guy's got a killer body though. Niiiice.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 11th, '10, 18:04

I said this after the first episode: I have no idea what KNG is doing in this drama, it feels awkward for him to be playing in it.
Nevertheless, I hope it will turn out good.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 11th, '10, 20:59

Finished the second one.

Ok, so, I actually laughed out loud at the car accident scene... I mean, come on. I know you wanted to stress the fact that things have gone bad for Gun Wook, but all in once? It reminded me of that "Men in Tights" scene:

Blinkin: This never would have happened if your father was alive.
Robin Hood: He's dead?
Blinkin: Yes.
Robin Hood: And my mother?
Blinkin: She died of pneumonia while... oh, you were away...
Robin Hood: My brothers?
Blinkin: There were all killed by the plague.
Robin Hood: My dog, Pogo?
Blinkin: Run over by a carriage.
Robin Hood: My goldfish, Goldie?
Blinkin: Eaten by the cat.
Robin Hood: My cat?
Blinkin: Choked on the goldfish.

:rofl: It was just a bit of a stretch...

So, I still can't figure Gun Wook out. He seems to care about Mo Ne, but it could all be an act since he doesn't really show these kinder emotions about her when he's not appearing in front of her. I really can't tell what the guy's all about. He better not hurt Tae Sung though! I really like him. Ok, granted, I think Jae Wook is hot so that helps things along, but his is a very sad character. I think as sad as Gun Wook and even more. Gun Wook can leave all this crap behind and move the hell on, even if he's deciding not to, but for Tae Sung, there's no other life. Sure, he could also drop everything and go, but it's much harder when one had reached this point especially such an important person.

The gold-digger, ever vigilant, finally made a contact with Tae Sung. She thinks... Well, I hope you're gonna get what's coming to you, you cheap hussy. :P

The family is still messed up and I just hope Gun Wook does really care for Mo Ne, cause the poor girl is going through a lot she doesn't deserve. She's also a woman and still underaged so she can't even escape this life on her own and just yet. I do hope she doesn't end up like the swan dive girl. We also don't know what happened to her. I mean, it was Gun Wook going towards her and she did fall, but we don't know whether he tried to let her know she was safe, that he wasn't going to hurt her and save her or if he actually intimidated her knowing she'd back up and potentially fall.

If the characters don't get what's coming to them, the series will disappoint me. Especially if the gold-digger finds happiness or if they fall for her or something. I mean, I don't know how you guys see it, but just cause she's into art, has a sister and is generally polite and benign doesn't mean she's not a sl*t. Sorry, but when you go after some guy you don't even know for his money because some other rich bastard left you, I don't care how sweet and kind you are, you're still weak, pathetic and a hussy. Get over it already. Man! :glare: And become relevant to the story sometime soon, huh, honey? Cause I don't give a damn what you do with your life if it doesn't have much to do with what's going on. :roll

I do like the series since it seems to have good foundation for a good story, but I can't tell yet if it will be as good as I'm hoping it will. I don't want soap opera moments, too much drama (the soap opera kind of drama) and I really wish they'll develop all the characters more if they're gonna keep showing them. The older sister and the gold-digger are very simplistic and boring. They both seem to have only one mode of existance and one thing on their minds and the actresses aren't impressing me either.

Show me more Mo Ne, Gun Wook, Tae Sung and even the sister and parents since they are important. The bad fiance needs to go eventually and the gold-digger and her sister could take a hike as well, but unfortunately, they seem like main characters as well. Also, the actress could have gone splat in the parachute scene. She's also serving no purpose. Minimize your characters, guys. We don't give a damn about everyone's sob story, but the two guys' and maybe Mo Ne.

I'm feeling b*tchy after this episode so sorry for my tone. :notworthy: I just can't hold back when I get mad. Lol.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 11th, '10, 21:15

Ahahha!! I love Men in Tights, you know...
But one thing: Gun Wook was supposed to be that kind of character, hard to decipher and so far, so good.
Kim Jae Wook is an eye-candy, but his acting sucks. I like him though, not to the extend but...
Sad thing is, the character chart says: Jae In - Gun Wook: sarang

Oh, please, let him slice everybody's throat! He's capable of it. He's pure-bred borderline personality.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 11th, '10, 21:20

Exactly. And I don't think Jae Wook sucks in his acting so far. If anything, I was very impressed. He started off as basically a richer version of Sun Ki so I thought "Ok. He can't do emotions. Calm, emo and catatonic is his default", but then he surprised me. He did ok with the sadness and the anger. A lot better than I expected him too. After having seen guys like the ones in Boys Over Flowers who couldn't even shed a damn tear or look like they had a soul (especially the what's-his-name singer, the blondie), I don't expect much from handsome young men in such series. :P Personally, I like him.

As for your guy, I also hope he'll just kill them all. Just not Mo Ne and Tae Sung. :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 11th, '10, 21:29

For me Jae Wook improved from Coffee Prince to Antique, but there's a stop. I don't know, I'm a bit confused as well.

Still
don't kill me please, but I think he's better than all the new stars in Japan (Jun excluded, he's not that new anyway).
Everyone has some issues in this drama and it unfolds slowly. I guess the knife we saw in Ep 01 would be of some use later on. Or else I will use it.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 11th, '10, 21:37

Heck, I've always said that all the japanese actors I've seen (even if I haven't seen a lot) are very bad compared to Koreans. Most of the japanese ones I've seen don't feel natural.
They remind me of greeks in that sense. They overact and generally seem more like actors you'd see on amateur theatre, making everything seem the same and over-worked.
Talking about younger actors here. I haven't watched many movies or generally more mature stuff. I think japan has good stories, but less talented people to act and shape them correctly.
Korea has good actors and the stories are done in a better way (directed, writen and developed), but they all feel the same. Talking about drama, of course. Not movies.
And they tend to get overly dramatic and more soap-opera like sometimes. I just wish both countries would learn from each other.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 11th, '10, 21:46

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
Korea has better movies, better actors. Dramas are as you said.
But this is how the national traits are manifested. Japanese are "zen", and Korean are "han", you know what I mean? I read once a book on Korean cinema, and the first sentence was: "Koreans like sad stories. it's in their blood". And it's true.
Watching movies, it doesn't feel so soapish even in melodrama, I don't know why, maybe thanks to subtlety of the actors in it?

No offence, I do like some of the Japanese actors, but comparing to Korean ones, you know...

aility

Post by aility » Jun 11th, '10, 21:57

*slowly joins the conversation*

Japanese culture generally differs a lot from Korean, and this also reflects the entertainment industry. My general feeling is that japanese actors/movies/dramas are very much animated (unless you watch those more human drama, like the one with Kyoko Fukada and Takeshi Kaneshiro), and to a certain extent modelled after anime and therefore over-acting. There are surely a lot of live actions out there...

I always consider Korean movies more poetic and somewhat subtle, whereas Japanese more raw and exaggerated. Hmm... I cant find the right adjectives. my brain will like stop working in like 4 minutes :D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 13th, '10, 20:56

I personally decided to drop the series. Speed-watched through episodes 3,4 and 5 and it was boring as heck.
I still hate the characters, I hate how everyone keeps falling for this quiet guy they don't even know anything about (yes, I'm talking about Gun Wook) and now it seems everyone will be falling for the gold-digger as well. The acting is also lacking by most actors in there and the series seems to have its own genre. I was expecting a thriller, a mature serious series and I get this crime/thriller/drama/romance stuff. Especially episode 3 or 4 (don't even remember) was about walks in the park and flirting and stuff like that. It's like, I don't care! :glare: Not enough thriller OR mystery, at least mystery that can keep me awake and at the edge of my seat.
I tried hard to like it cause of Jae Wook and because the whole plot against the family thing seemed interesting, but the series seems to be focusing more on romance and useless moments than on what would be fun and interesting to watch. It's not a mystery since we pretty much know what he wants to do. How he does it or what happens would interest me enough to stick around if they weren't too busy showing his "romance" with this b*tch and a million other irrelevant things and drama and woe etc. A woman can only take so many scenes of the older sister looking at her wrist and remembering what happened with the only look of being perplexed the actress seems to be able to have on her expressionless face. Not to mention the big romance moment in the bus (again, do these people have a wrist fetish?). Man, I mean, what says romance and people in love more than falling on someone by accident on a bus? Can you think of a more deep, meaningful and romantic moment? :P And a woman can also only take so many flashbacks and re-visiting of scenes we've seen a million times before within 3-4 friggin' episodes! I wanted an intense thriller/mystery that wouldn't let me take a moment's break from being in suspence. Didn't get that so I'm dropping it.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 13th, '10, 21:12

Khe khe, and the whole Korean sites are bashing Jae Wook, just saying. I don't care for him much though.
Episode 5 made me go on with this. Although not very smart moves.
But you know, I don't find her that much of a gold-dogger though.

Every Korean drama has some fetish though, really. I noticed this some time ago...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 13th, '10, 21:38

Well, the woman was running all over looking to secude a rich guy cause he's rich... If that's not a gold-digger, what is? :lol

Anyway, a shame this wasn't my cup of tea, but I'm rather glad I won't have to see these characters again. Sure, I like Jae Wook, but not nearly enough to put myself through this. :lol

aility

Post by aility » Jun 13th, '10, 22:59

Why are they bashing Jae Wook????

I think I will just stick to reading the recaps from dramabeans then :D

Te Amari

Post by Te Amari » Jun 16th, '10, 06:09

I haven't been on d-addicts much since I was following that Japanese drama last friends. Other than that, I can't remember the last jdrama I watched that didn't have manga as its basis, so I got used to the overacting.

what I think...is that I have nothing better to do this summer and I want to look forward to something, so I've lowered my standards. Hopefully it'll be surprisingly good.

I haven't seen anything with KNG, so I really can't judge him based on previous performances. The mustache annoys me. It really does. But it's all good once he smiles. The acting...is fine. No complaint here.

Kim Jae Wook. He can only go up from Coffe Prince and Antique. Personally, I liked his acting in the second episode. The blank staring while he was remembering his gf didn't feel just like blank staring; his eyes were...mesmerizing (though it might just be because I'm looking for something good in his acting? psychoanalyzing myself won't do any good). And when he broke down, I was really taken aback, and then I had to admit that I started laughing because his face was so contorted, and it was the most emotion I had ever seen from him. The subsequent episodes had more of the icy Sun-ki demeanor, but the character just seems hell-bent on self destruction without actually physically hurting himself (which I find fascinating).

Ga In's character...I like only because I'm not supposed to like her. She's apparently a gold-digger. Did she date her last boyfriend with the intention of sharing his wealth? (A little unclear about that--anyone wanna help me out?) She seems kind of embarrassed by all of that chasing Gun Wook/Tae Sung around, and she seems over it. But according to the chart, it seems she'll be trying to woo the real Tae Sung too. I think it would be interesting if Jae In teamed up with Gun Wook. I don't really know how that dynamic would work, but I'd be interested in seeing it.

Mo Ne. Is spoiled, naive, and to me, kinda stupid. Has anyone ever seen Zeni Geba? I'd compare her to Akane, except that Mo Ne seems so much weaker. I guess she's supposed to be a victim here, and I see that nothing is directly her fault, but for some reason, I'm just not fond of her.

Tae Ra is impressive. I like Yun Soo's acting. She's always very tense, yeah, but I feel like she's bringing something more. The sexual tension stuff is kinda interesting, but disturbing. Tae Ra knows Gun Wook's just playing around with Mo Ne, but doesn't actively get rid of him. It annoys me that she can't or won't do more.

As for the plot/writing itself...that needs a little work, in my opinion. I agree with whoever said it felt like that scene from Men in Tights. Kind of over the top. And I can't ever blame the Hong family, because everything that happened after kicking him out wasn't caused by the Hongs. I just don't get from where all this revenge/righteous anger/angry vengeance is coming. I think I'd believe it more if Gun Wook were a little mentally unstable. Because it feels like he's being petty. It just doesn't seem like that big a deal. The Hongs didn't kill his parents and his dogs, and if he blames them for it, then he might as well take his revenge upon the guy who incorrectly found him to be Hong Tae Sung. Or on the guy upstairs who was making it rain. Or himself, or his dog, or the car manufacturers for not making a better truck, i don't know.

I'll try to stick with it. Maybe look into some other summer dramas.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 16th, '10, 06:35

I hope it will have some change in the middle of the series, really, because right now, I don't know what to think about it.
And yes, Gun Wook is a borderline personality as for me. Mentally unstable, but fixed on one goal, ignoring everything around.
But I'm in that part of the audience that wasn't impressed by Jae Wook, really. I expected something more from him after Antique.

I still maintain Ga In is not a typical gold-digger. If it was so, she would have made mother of her former boyfriend like her no matter what. She would try to please her somehow. Instead, she wasn't even properly introduced. Judging from the chart, a relationship between her and Gun Wook is on the way. Actually she's the only person he acts differently in front of her. It may be Gun Wook's acting, he does it in front of everyone, but... hell, I don't know.
I see no point in Mo Ne's presence, really. She's annoying but pityful. It's not her fault she fell for Gun Wook, but acts as if in the trade she gave half of her brain.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 18th, '10, 18:17

On the happy note (cause my murderous inclinations towards SBS are not the case), some pics from the upcoming episodes. They filmed ep 09 and 10, and we will get some change in appearance of characters.
Not change in the characters on the other hand.
I'm in the middle of translating some article, but I have no time to sit over it properly, so forgive me the delay.
For more (over 30 pics in total), take a look here:
Moar pics

shosef

Post by shosef » Jun 19th, '10, 09:35

actually...though i didn't get to really see the whole episodes..just skipping right through them...damn studies..hahaha..anyway, i really like the series...don't know why...i'm always a sucker for this kind of stuff....i really like KMG here...his acting is good...i'm hoping that the story would unfold beautifully...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 20th, '10, 09:31

it's KNG actually... no Korean parent would name own kid with M in that configuration, brrr...
Yup, his acting is good, but the drama is not.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 22nd, '10, 22:43

An article called: It's a drama not a fashion show
In Korean though...
http://10.asiae.co.kr/Articles/new_view ... 7394277863

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 23rd, '10, 15:42

I translated (so-so) an article from here:
http://www.asahi.com/showbiz/korea/TKY201006070035.html

Oh Yeon Su as an immoral wife in high-end drama

On the event held by SBS for its Wed-Thu drama Bad Guy (Japanese title: Red and Black), Oh Yeon Su spoke about her intense love affair with Kim Nam Gil's character in this drama.
"When I read an article after the casting, called "Showing a love affair between lovers of 20 years gap", I was a little bit bewildered. There is an important love-connected scene between those two characters. But I think it won't be showed on TV." she said about her character.
"I had an intense love scene in my previous work, Sweet Life, and only after two years, my husband commentaed that it was perhaps "over too bold". He didn't seem to be bothered by this, but perhaps he received a lot of worries from the around. But perhaps if I were to change places, maybe I would be worried as well?", she said.
Still, "He is the coworker. But somehow not to much immersed into the work. Plus not fighting at all." the good relationship appeals.
In the drama, she is enchanted by the one played by Kim Nam Gil in order to achieve his goal, and in the end she leaves her family behind.

So, SBS will deprive us of some love scene. I hope not. If they do I will write a letter. Again.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 23rd, '10, 19:10

SBS just f*cks with everybody...

On June 27 there will be a 100 minutes special, but...
OK, I'm writing a complaint letter...
Attachments
See? Even Gun Wook is sad...
See? Even Gun Wook is sad...
2010071415.jpg (175.47 KiB) Viewed 4884 times

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jun 24th, '10, 09:07

Ethlenn wrote:SBS just f*cks with everybody...

On June 27 there will be a 100 minutes special, but...
OK, I'm writing a complaint letter...
Wait... does this mean they're doing this instead of showing two episodes at the "normal" times (Wed/Thu)>?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 24th, '10, 10:10

No Bad Guy yesterday, no Bad Guy today. I don't know why, I see no reason.
I mean I know why: the World Cup Coverage, but... why??
The special will be somewhat recapitulation of 1-5.

What I really want is a decapitulation of the SBS bosses :cussing:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 25th, '10, 15:40

According to the official website, on Sunday we will get Episode 6, not a special, or I can't find it...

OK, update: I found it. Looks like we will get the special....
Will air from 12:10 - 1:50, 100 minutes long
SBS website info

Aigoo...

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jun 25th, '10, 19:07

It's all my fault, of course. I had a reason to watch, so it all gets screwed up. :P

Really frustrating.

:alcoholic:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 25th, '10, 22:10

OK, so now I can blame you.... :alcoholic:

Apart from those SBS sh*theads!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 27th, '10, 23:54

Preview of Episode 06:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-C71awa ... r_embedded

They did everything so I couldn't watch the last two episodes (19-20). I'm so p*ssed off I want to kill somebody...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 28th, '10, 00:22

I haven't seen any of this yet so don't open the windows too far. I just wanted to say that if a really bad guy is anti social and psychotic and full of revenge then he is not going to change. No matter how sweet the girl he meets may be, he will never retreat from his lump of hatred in his mind. I would bet that KNG will end up distraught by what he has done or by what he has been unable to accomplish.
I shall look forward to seeing this.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 28th, '10, 00:43

He said in one interview that he can build up a character he has to play based on his smallest emotion. And he said that Gun Wook "wants no love from anybody". But the more I see him, the more I feel pity over him. He's just lost. Yup, he's close to being a psycho, but... I don't quite get his character (I mean Gun Wook's).

And yes, so far he, and Mrs Oh are the best in it. Really the best, the every scene they're in I got shivers.

And his priceless answer after being asked:
Q: What about bed scene?

KNG: I just try my best in acting it.

Strange thing, I remember one journalist asking him about his sexual preferences after No Regret. With poker face he replied something along that he sees no connection between actor's preferences and character's preferences.
Aishh... :wub:
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jun 28th, '10, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.

swannie

Post by swannie » Jun 28th, '10, 07:20

I've tried reading this entire thread to see if I could get some insight as to what is up with this drama. It got me hooked and then made me go cold-turkey. :alcoholic:

What's the deal with that?!?! I think I was into it at the first episode. I've finished Cinderella Sister, Prosecutor Princess and Personal Taste. I'm at a lost now that I don't have Bad (Guy). What's a good drama to watch while we wait? Just finished Lovers in Prague (hated it).
:scratch:
Last edited by swannie on Jun 28th, '10, 07:57, edited 2 times in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 28th, '10, 07:38

So you probably know that drama will be aired on Wed-Thu this week.
They finished filming 12th episode.
You can watch Coffee House (funny story about the slightly crazy writer).

aility

Post by aility » Jun 30th, '10, 08:54

Did you read the latest news on Bad Guy on Dramabeans, Ethlenn?! Though I am not watching the show atm, I hope KNG gets an extra extension for his army leave!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 30th, '10, 09:53

No, I don't usually read Dramabeans, but KNG said he's going to military between Fall and Winter. I knew about 3 month prolongation (till the end of June), but I guess army did an exception. No further extending allowed, so he probably goes to the military this summer.

Synopsis for today's episode:
<45208> 6회 SBS 밤 9시 55분
월드컵으로 인해 무려 3주 동안 결방되었던 <45208>가 오늘 밤 돌아온다. 일본에서 만난 건욱(김남길)과 태성(김재욱), 재인(한가인)이 유리가면을 두고 옥신각신하는 사이 한국에서는 태성의 연인이었던 선영(김민서)의 죽음을 둘러싼 의문들이 하나 둘씩 풀리기 시작하면서 이야기가 본격적인 궤도에 오를 전망이다. 하지만 여전히 건욱의 진짜 정체와 본심은 알 수 없는 가운데 과연 그는 자신에게 사랑을 고백하는 재인과 격정적인 사랑을 원하는 태라(오연수) 중 누구를 선택할까. 오늘 두 여자와 키스를 나누는 건욱의 눈빛을 유심히 지켜본다면, 그의 진심을 조금은 알 수 있을지도 모르겠다.

Synopsis for ep. 07:
재인이 일본에서 유리가면을 구해오지 못하자 신여사는 반드시 구해오라며 닦달하고, 재인은 태성이 유리가면을 들고 한국에 오기만을 바란다. 한편, 한국에 돌아온 태성은 오자마자 곽반장을 만나 선영의 죽음이 파양된 태성과 관계가 있다는 말을 전해듣고, 그 소리를 들은 건욱은 선영을 다시금 회상한다. 자선바자회에 참여한 모네는 열심히 바자회에 참여하는 신여사와 태라를 가증스럽게 바라보다가 장감독을 발견하고는 건욱이 한국 오면 연락달라며 부탁을 하고 태라는 이를 애써 말리는데..

Preview for Ep 06/07:
ee, I forgot the link, 6 is on my blog anyway...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 8th, '10, 20:27

So we had the elevator scene over which director had a feud with SBS, hehe. It was oh so repeated on every Korean website...TV should lessen up, in my opinion.

But the relationship between GE and TR became a bit complicated. I feel actually sorry for her. Even if she realizes that she's being manipulated, she can't do nothing about it.

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_d ... 00616.html
And something for Toyotaku^^
http://thestar.chosun.com/site/data/htm ... 02029.html

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jul 9th, '10, 15:24

Ethlenn wrote:And something for Toyotaku^^
http://thestar.chosun.com/site/data/htm ... 02029.html
:wub: The image is also on Innolife... nice, big & pretty.

I really liked their time together and wish there was more (haven't watched any of this week's eps yet, but I'm guessing Ryu-sensei is now out of the picture). I thought they played well off of each other. Before the drama started, a fellow fan and I were remarking how KNG and Toyohara have so many similar features (some stills were eerily confusing), but once they were on screen together, how interesting those features produce a different effect. It's not unusual for discussions to pop up on 2ch and other places about whether or not Toyohara has Korean blood in him (we suspect the discussion has been bumped up a notch now :P ). His sister also either used to or still is working for a modeling agency in Seoul. I understand the politics & prejudices, but I don't care whether he does or doesn't have some Korean in him. He's just talented and beautiful to me, pure & simple.

Thanks for thinking of me. :-)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 9th, '10, 15:49

I see no striking similarities, but I have only eyes for KNG^^ Maybe there is, when I think of it now. As for body features of Toyohara, he does look more Korean-like (sharper features, if you know what I mean) than any other Japanese actor, but as you said, it's useless to just check it and it brings nothing new to the admiration he gains from you or others. He's worth it.

Now, whenever I see Toyohara, you pop up in my mind :D

aility

Post by aility » Jul 13th, '10, 09:23

So, it seems like the show has been cut down to 17 episodes. I wonder how the writers will wrap up. And no, I am not watching it, but reading the recaps... Guess it doesnt give me the same experience, but got pics to look at though ^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 13th, '10, 09:41

A week ago there was talk about 20 episodes still. Aigoo, they mess around again with us? No wonder this drama had to fail. It was ill-fated from the start.

aility

Post by aility » Jul 13th, '10, 10:15

SBS has made some baaaaaad decisions regarding this drama, for sure. Let's send rotten eggs in the mail :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 13th, '10, 10:18

I keep tomatoes in a bag to send them. SBS has the worst publicity policy and management, for sure. This TV can't keep the pace, they don't care about the stars in their shows... aigoo...

They had problems even before the drama started to shoot.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 13th, '10, 16:52

From SBS website:
배우 김남길이 15일 군에 입대한다. Actor Kim Namgil to enlist on July 15.
http://news.sbs.co.kr/section_news/news ... =news_netv
이에 따라 김남길이 현재 주연을 맡은 SBS TV '나쁜 남자'는 20부에서 3부가 줄어든 17부로 막을 내리게 됐다. : Drama starring Kim Namgil was reduced from 20 episodes to 17 episodes.

And I thought they will air 20 regardless of the fate of Gun Wook. Dammit...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 17th, '10, 00:27

This is probably a SPOILER SO DON'T READ IF YOU ARE WATCHING " Bad Guy "

I have only been able to watch small sections of this drama. I hate seeing a well loved actor being killed off by the producers just to justify the fact that they can't finish the drama without him. It's a very gloomy drama to start with. I don't like seeing Nam Gil doing the dangerous scenes. I know he likes to do his own stuff but he gets hurt. It doesn't make sense.
He'll be a lot safer in the miliitary.........! ! !

Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 17th, '10, 00:39

No, the character was planned to be killed of in 16-17th episode nonetheless. They planned to shoot the remaining 3 episodes without Gun Wook, but I guess, as SBS has in habit, they changed their mind.

And yes, all dangerous stuff was done by Namgil-nim. I'm also with you on this one, Peggy, he will be safer and under better medical control in the military.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 27th, '10, 14:08

Toyotaku's gonna love it!

From SBS Official website:
* <45208> 14회는 밤 9시 55분,
<45208> 15회는 밤 11시 15분에 방송됩니다.

Episodes 14, 15 will be aired the same day, cause of the Women's U-20 World Cup.
Schmuck, how can we not love SBS? I don't buy any excuse!

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jul 27th, '10, 15:22

Ethlenn wrote:Toyotaku's gonna love it!

From SBS Official website:
* <45208> 14회는 밤 9시 55분,
<45208> 15회는 밤 11시 15분에 방송됩니다.

Episodes 14, 15 will be aired the same day, cause of the Women's U-20 World Cup.
Schmuck, how can we not love SBS? I don't buy any excuse!
:alcoholic:

Did I make a great choice for a first kdrama to watch as it airs or what?

I've been trying to figure out how we made it through July at all. I mean, no nightly coverage of the Tour de France? Or, hey, how about coverage of the wargames currently going on between S. Korea & the US to taunt the north? Gonna have to google the Women's U-20 World Cup. What the heck is that? I'm thinking it's no where as popular as figure skating, but why should that stop them.

Honestly, I've lost interest despite developing an interest in KNG. Waiting until WithS2 completes the subs and finish watching then (still d/ling whatever episodes you share as you u/l them here... however many that ends up being. :P )
Last edited by toyotaku on Jul 27th, '10, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 27th, '10, 15:32

Exactly. So many things going on, and SBS is doing the coverage of some... man, I just feel so ready to bash I have to calm myself. I have nothing against two episodes a night (my HD is of different opinion, first watching, then downloading), but they should air two episodes when World Cup was, and they gave us 2-week hiatus. They could, it's no biggie since they can push other shows and air two episodes.

Aigoo, I have mixed feelings. I love it and I hate it at the same time. I don't need action in a drama (most of those I enjoyed were really slow, but I do like the "talking" parts that everyone hates), but I'm lost with this one.
Even two main leads couldn't bring it on their shoulders. It's screenplay that was messed up. And I think the director wasn't sure what he wanted to accomplish.

I will rewatch it after it ends, and then make up my mind.

But seriously, they can end it up on Thursday, just air two last episodes. Please, SBS you didn't disappoint me in nonsense so far :D

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 15th, '10, 23:18

Ethlenn wrote:Exactly. So many things going on, and SBS is doing the coverage of some... man, I just feel so ready to bash I have to calm myself. I have nothing against two episodes a night (my HD is of different opinion, first watching, then downloading), but they should air two episodes when World Cup was, and they gave us 2-week hiatus. They could, it's no biggie since they can push other shows and air two episodes.

Aigoo, I have mixed feelings. I love it and I hate it at the same time. I don't need action in a drama (most of those I enjoyed were really slow, but I do like the "talking" parts that everyone hates), but I'm lost with this one.
Even two main leads couldn't bring it on their shoulders. It's screenplay that was messed up. And I think the director wasn't sure what he wanted to accomplish.

I will rewatch it after it ends, and then make up my mind.

But seriously, they can end it up on Thursday, just air two last episodes. Please, SBS you didn't disappoint me in nonsense so far :D
Say anything you want but I love this drama ;D This drama is unpredictable. Ok, what's there to guess, I need subs for last episode and I'm done but overall, drama was very good. Some may think it was confusing but I understood everything. You could see clearly that two main leads loved each other and who Gun Wook hated and who didn't. And all the time there were many unexpected events that you just couldn't predict.

By the way, Ethlenn, I had a good laugh at you signature ;D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 27th, '10, 17:13

Neliets, thanks, it was made to cause the laughter. So good.
Awww... I'm really not so sure about this drama, really.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 7th, '11, 22:02

Episode 15
The scene 23 minutes into episode 15 scared the **** out me.
The "Witch" (Madam Shin) really got five-stars fear screaming.
And I'm sitting watching Bad Guy in the middle of the night! :lol
A question. 24 minutes into episode 15 what does the President watch at?

Neliets

Post by Neliets » May 8th, '11, 21:08

Keiko1981 wrote:Episode 15
The scene 23 minutes into episode 15 scared the **** out me.
The "Witch" (Madam Shin) really got five-stars fear screaming.
And I'm sitting watching Bad Guy in the middle of the night! :lol
A question. 24 minutes into episode 15 what does the President watch at?
i have no idea. A wall probably.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 8th, '11, 21:10

Will watch it tomorrow again, we'll see^^

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 19th, '12, 18:00

I did an auto-tagging (using WinAmp) of the song "Sub Title" from Bad Guy OST, this is what I got

Title: Sub Title
Album: 나쁜 남자 = Bad Guy in Korean
Artist: 최성욱 = Choi Won Young, listed as an actor, nothing about being musician as well.

I'd like to know who the composer is and if he/she has made music for any other dramas.
Checked Last.fm and English Wikipedia too, but nothing there.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 19th, '12, 18:23

I think Choi Sung Wook with Kim Jisu collaborated on Secret Garden one song from OST.
He also composed the music for Tazza the drama.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 15th, '12, 21:14

Almost every time I see Ethlenn's signature, I go all fan-girly in my thoughts. I SIMPLY CAN'T WAIT HIS NEXT DRAMA(who knows when it will air.. :c), I just simply can't wait! I WANT HIM. IN A DRAMA. AS GOOD AS BAD GUY. JUST AS COOL AS HE WAS IN BAD GUY. Damn, I enjoyed his bad-ass acting so f**king much... Remembering the time when I was watching Bad Guy for the first time - I just couldn't wait for new episodes, and every time I watched one it felt like... oh... I just can't describe it. Maybe I am going overboard but I remember it like that.

I bet that if I were to watch it now for the first time, I'd watch all the episodes in one go. :D

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 15th, '12, 21:34

Neliets wrote:Almost every time I see Ethlenn's signature, I go all fan-girly in my thoughts. I SIMPLY CAN'T WAIT HIS NEXT DRAMA(who knows when it will air.. :c), I just simply can't wait! I WANT HIM. IN A DRAMA. AS GOOD AS BAD GUY. JUST AS COOL AS HE WAS IN BAD GUY. Damn, I enjoyed his bad-ass acting so f**king much... Remembering the time when I was watching Bad Guy for the first time - I just couldn't wait for new episodes, and every time I watched one it felt like... oh... I just can't describe it. Maybe I am going overboard but I remember it like that.

I bet that if I were to watch it now for the first time, I'd watch all the episodes in one go. :D
I can't wait for Kim Nam Gil's return either.
Soon just 100 days before he's done with the military.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 15th, '12, 21:43

121 days, 16 minutes :mrgreen:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Mar 31st, '12, 01:00

I saw this a while back. Not bad, especially considering my sole reason for DLing the series was that the guy in the picture looked hotttt... :P

Thank you, Kim Nam Gil :w00t:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Apr 1st, '12, 07:29

Ethlenn,

That is still too many days. Too many days :-(