The Man Who Can't Get Married (2009, KBS2)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
SSpiegel

The Man Who Can't Get Married (2009, KBS2)

Post by SSpiegel » Jul 8th, '09, 14:36

* Title: 결혼 못하는 남자 / The Man Who Can't Get Married
* Also known as: He Who Can't Marry
* Genre: Comedy, romance
* Episodes: 16
* Broadcast network: KBS2
* Broadcast period: 2009-Jun-15 to 2009-Aug-04
* Air time: Monday & Tuesday 21:55
* Related TV Series: Kekkon Dekinai Otoko

Synopsis: Cho Jae Hee is a man in his 40s who is very stubborn and hasn't gotten married yet. His personality is so unbearable that women don't find him attractable nor a good candidate for marriage. However, Jae Hee, is perfect in everything that he does. His life will be surrounded by three different women. Jang Moon Jung is a doctor that he meets one day, Jung Yoo Jin is his neighbor whom he meets due to a disturbance, and Yoon Ki Ran is his colleague at work.

Cast

* Ji Jin Hee as Cho Jae Hee
* Uhm Jung Hwa as Jang Moon Jung
* Kim So Eun as Jung Yoo Jin
* Yoo Ah In as Park Hyun Kyu
* Yang Jung Ah as Yoon Ki Ran

Extended Cast

* Dan Ji as Kim Yeon Soo
* Im Ho as Park Kwang Nam
* Kim Byung Gi as Jang Bong Soo
* Yoo Tae Woong as Moon Suk Hwan
* Bae Min Hee as Cho Yoon Hee
* Jun Yang Ja as Kang Hye Ja
* Kim Gun Mo (cameo)

Info from D-Addicts Wiki

Main cast:

Ji Jin Hee as Cho Jae Hee

Uhm Jung Hwa as Jang Moon Jung
To me most known as the k-pop star.

Kim So Eun as Jung Yoo Jin
From the BOF fame.

Yoo Ah In as Park Hyun Kyu
In the movie Antique.

Yang Jung Ah as Yoon Ki Ran
Seems to have a big list of dramas behind her, but I remember her from variety Gold Miss is Coming.

Official pictures:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by SSpiegel on Jul 8th, '09, 15:59, edited 3 times in total.

japanese emo

Post by japanese emo » Jul 8th, '09, 14:53

it's Korean version of Kekkon Dekinai Otoko

mlu

Post by mlu » Jul 8th, '09, 15:04

I already have 6-7 eps of this show, do you happen to have the subtitles for this? thanks.

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Jul 8th, '09, 15:36

Having watched the Japanese version, I found the first episode quite boring. Mainly because its almost identical to the Japanese version minus a few new scenes but with the effect isnt nearly as good as the Japanese version imo.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jul 8th, '09, 16:05

I couldn't get past the ambulance scene in the Japanese version, but I've been meaning to start again, as I have found the Korean version very entertaining.
Like pretty much every Korean comedy, the acting is definitely over the top, and I find especially Uhm Jung Hwa very plasticky. But it's been a while since I've laughed out loud (while watching a drama), so it must mean something.

aquala

Post by aquala » Jul 8th, '09, 18:04

I watched the Japanese version a while ago, and tried to watch the first episode of the Korean one but failed to finish. I can't get myself to watch a remake when I know the story already. It's just not as entertaining.

xk

Post by xk » Jul 15th, '09, 19:10

aquala wrote:I watched the Japanese version a while ago, and tried to watch the first episode of the Korean one but failed to finish. I can't get myself to watch a remake when I know the story already. It's just not as entertaining.
the korean version is better in terms of acting. Also the girls are more attractive. You should've watched the korean version first and you wouldn't last 5 minutes watching the japanese version lol.

xk

Post by xk » Jul 15th, '09, 19:12

Cho Jae Hee's sister is very very cute. I need a wife like that.

Sny

Post by Sny » Jul 15th, '09, 19:32

mlu wrote:I already have 6-7 eps of this show, do you happen to have the subtitles for this? thanks.
Check it at: withs2.com
They're doing the sub for this drama.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jul 15th, '09, 19:41

xk wrote:
aquala wrote:I watched the Japanese version a while ago, and tried to watch the first episode of the Korean one but failed to finish. I can't get myself to watch a remake when I know the story already. It's just not as entertaining.
the korean version is better in terms of acting. Also the girls are more attractive. You should've watched the korean version first and you wouldn't last 5 minutes watching the japanese version lol.

really???? It looked like very typical Korean over the top acting to me. Better than Abe Hiroshi, seriously??? The korean actor didn't even have the slightest comedic cynical undertones that the Abe Hiroshi did. Seriously??? better??

Anyway, the Korean version is more on the romance side, which is what Korean dramas are all about.

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jul 15th, '09, 19:43

K.Version of Kekkon Dekinai Otoko? I'm a BIG Abe Hiroshi fan, ever since Trick (Seasons 1~3).

The Japanese version was rather a mild comedy. I will check this out.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jul 15th, '09, 20:14

I'm in love with the Yu Jin-Hyun Kyu romance! I especially love Kim So Eun, she's just so beautiful!
I know Abe Hiroshi is quite a good actor, but I think Ji Jin Hee is doing really well. His character is very obnoxious, definitely a kekkon dekinai otoko. As I haven't watched the Japanese version, I can't really compare. But I'll be sure to check out the Japanese version soon. I'm not bothered that I've seen the story once already (I've watched all three versions of Hana Yori), since dramas from different countries are usually very, well, different.

ETA
At the end of every episode, there's a clip of the main guy doing something fitting for his character... I love those! I always get a big laugh at the end of the show, it's a really funny idea, too!

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Jul 15th, '09, 23:07

The korean actor didn't even have the slightest comedic cynical undertones that the Abe Hiroshi did.
Abe Hiroshi was awesome and despite the fact that I like Ji Jin Hee his performance is no match for Abe in this instance.

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Jul 15th, '09, 23:33

I think it has more things to do with the way the director want his/her story portrayed. In this case, it could be that the director want the main character to be in a more natural and subttle way? At least this's my impression when I view this serie-not outragerously comical but more natural and convincing.

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Jul 15th, '09, 23:39

I think it has more things to do with the way the director want his/her story portrayed. In this case, it could be that the director want the main character to be in a more natural and subttle way? At least this's my impression when I view this serie-not outragerously comical but more natural and convincing.

aquala

Post by aquala » Jul 16th, '09, 00:18

xk wrote:

Probably, if the korean version came out first I may have liked it :) The main reason I gave up on the first episode was that it seemed like an exact carbon copy of the Japanese version (exact same scenes and dialogue). I think dramabeans translated an article that revealed reasons as to why this drama is getting low ratings and this was mentioned as a fault.

For Boys Over Flowers, even though I knew the story already from watching the Japanese version, I did enjoy watching it because they included many things from the manga that weren't part of the Japanese version (I've never read the manga), so there was something new to look forward to.

Maybe I'll give the korean version a chance down the road when I'm bored and having nothing else to watch, that is when I forget the story which can happen with time :)

hanselel

Post by hanselel » Jul 22nd, '09, 11:57

Is there a torrent out?

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Jul 22nd, '09, 13:29

Yes.

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jul 23rd, '09, 01:22

aquala wrote:
xk wrote:

Probably, if the korean version came out first I may have liked it :) The main reason I gave up on the first episode was that it seemed like an exact carbon copy of the Japanese version (exact same scenes and dialogue). I think dramabeans translated an article that revealed reasons as to why this drama is getting low ratings and this was mentioned as a fault.

For Boys Over Flowers, even though I knew the story already from watching the Japanese version, I did enjoy watching it because they included many things from the manga that weren't part of the Japanese version (I've never read the manga), so there was something new to look forward to.

Maybe I'll give the korean version a chance down the road when I'm bored and having nothing else to watch, that is when I forget the story which can happen with time :)

I know what you mean, i must admit the first half of Episode one was a chore. However after a few eps, it begins to pick up - and you will soon notice some changes.

nasi_tambah1

Post by nasi_tambah1 » Jul 23rd, '09, 03:04

I think the Japanese version is way better than Korean version, Abe Hiroshi give the impression that it really cool to be Kuwano Shinsuke unlike Ji Jin Hee he make Cho Jae Hee seems like an idiot. I don't know if others notice it as well. Kekkon Dekinai Otoko is one of my all time favourite drama, I'm having fun watching Korean version and hopefully there will be Taiwanese remake too..

Currently Watching: Pandora,Yako no Kaidan, Majo Saiban

Zirconium

Post by Zirconium » Jul 25th, '09, 18:36

I have watched the two first episodes and have yet to figure out why this remake was necessary. The first two episodes almost leave the impression they've been done by cloning, and I sorely miss the Kekkon Dekinai Otoko theme song that I really got hooked on.

But I'm a die hard Abe Hiroshi fan, so I'm probably just being jealous. :)

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy the Korean version. Predictability aside seeing another nation reinterpret the stuff is usually awesome. Even Fantasy Couple was fun.

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Aug 1st, '09, 18:00

definitely agreeing with you there..i think that the vibe is different and abe hiroshi potrays much better kind pain in your ass type of guy.

hellno

Post by hellno » Aug 2nd, '09, 22:47

Can someone please upload the English hardsubs for this drama?

I saw it on Veoh but I couldn't download from there because my IP is blocked there

here's the link to those hardsubs: http://www.veoh.com/group/he-who-cant-marry-2009

can someone please please upload those? Thanks!

h0tcurry

Post by h0tcurry » Aug 21st, '09, 09:50

JUST finished it! I didn't watch the Japanese version, but I really enjoyed this one.

This summer I've finished Beethoven Virus, Delightful Girl Choon-hyang, and this drama. What's next!? :thumleft:

emykina

Post by emykina » Aug 25th, '09, 02:21

pn0yb0i wrote:
aquala wrote:
xk wrote: the korean version is better in terms of acting. Also the girls are more attractive. You should've watched the korean version first and you wouldn't last 5 minutes watching the japanese version lol.

I know what you mean, i must admit the first half of Episode one was a chore. However after a few eps, it begins to pick up - and you will soon notice some changes.
totally agreed. maybe u shud give it a try .. maybe till episode 5..

i didnt watch the japanese version.. as for now, am enjoing watching this series and cant stop laughing.. :tv: haha..its been a long time since am enjoy watching k-drama without crying and heart pain.. ehe...

emykina

Post by emykina » Aug 25th, '09, 02:23

h0tcurry wrote:JUST finished it! I didn't watch the Japanese version, but I really enjoyed this one.

This summer I've finished Beethoven Virus, Delightful Girl Choon-hyang, and this drama. What's next!? :thumleft:
city hall!! and my lovely kim sam soon.. hehe..

h0tcurry

Post by h0tcurry » Aug 31st, '09, 20:13

emykina wrote:
h0tcurry wrote:JUST finished it! I didn't watch the Japanese version, but I really enjoyed this one.

city hall!! and my lovely kim sam soon.. hehe..
You have good taste!!!! I've watched MLKSS already, and I just finished City Hall. I loved it. It's probably the best drama I've watched in a long, long time. Can you please recommend something else to me now? :D

langsegara

Post by langsegara » Aug 31st, '09, 21:37

i dont think the're exactly the same, the korean version actually gave the story a better closure

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Aug 31st, '09, 21:53

langsegara wrote:i dont think the're exactly the same, the korean version actually gave the story a better closure
I haven't seen the Japanese version yet, so I can't compare, but I agree that the ending was surprisingly good. I usually get pretty fed up with kdramas, because the end just drags on, but while Kimchi Kekkon got a bit boring in the last few episodes, the ending was still good. My favorite thing about this drama was the video clips at the end of every episode that showed his obnoxious personality. I absolutely loved that they used the video clip to show a very cute ending.

uberathlete

Post by uberathlete » Sep 3rd, '09, 21:29

The characters in the Korean version aren't as likeable as the ones in the Japanese version. There's more of a laid back feel too in the Jap version.

Gladys au

just wondering where do u finf thr subtiitles?

Post by Gladys au » Feb 13th, '10, 17:23

as I would like some please send to msn - Gladysau@hotmail.com

Carlitta87

Post by Carlitta87 » Mar 14th, '10, 03:11

can anyone tell me how to get a download of this?

carla_14@msn.com...

please tell me if u are sending a link?

dbyun

The song in the background of Episode 9

Post by dbyun » Oct 12th, '10, 00:15

Does anyone know who sings this or the name of the song? it is in episode 9 around 43minutes in. It is the scene that takes place in the cafe....i tried searching for the lyrics but google had nothing =O

AsuCaga

Post by AsuCaga » Nov 25th, '10, 03:14

I know this seems unimportant, but does anyone know the actresses playing the nurses? I know one of them is from Goong, but I can't recognize the other one and it is driving me nuts. If you want to know where I downloaded it send me a PM.

popokororo

Post by popokororo » Feb 22nd, '11, 15:33

i really like this drama for sure,,

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Oct 14th, '11, 01:05

most annoying parents ever