looking for drama as good as MNIKSS

Discuss Korean drama series here.
bellystars

looking for drama as good as MNIKSS

Post by bellystars » May 15th, '09, 20:34

Hi! :D

I am kind of new to the world of kdrama, and I feel like I may have set my standard too high early on...My first one is My name is Kim Sam Soon...and it was THE BEST, loved everything about it. The problem is, I have not been able to find anything I like as much. I have been watching Spring Waltz and Soulmate, but neither one of those has that "spice" as MNIKSS.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something as good as that show? I have looked through several threads on the net about what is the best kdrama's, but nothing has struck me quite the same in reading the descriptions. Any advice or suggestions would be amazing!

Thanks so much in advance, enjoy your weekend!

xoxo, Jax

lucky_kiss

Post by lucky_kiss » May 15th, '09, 21:48

Fantasy couple..
Please support & join us for more English subtitles to the upcoming K-Dramas Haru2subS

moonprincess98

Post by moonprincess98 » May 15th, '09, 23:36

I just finished MNIKSS last week and it was very cute! Soulmate would have been okay to me, but the ending ruined it for me. :| Anyway, I'll recommend a few of my favorites: 1% of Anything (my new favorite), Coffee Prince (interesting story and main couples), Bad Couple (beautiful story), Who Are You (extremely funny, at least early on) and Only You (typical but cute). Hope these help! :D

bellystars

Post by bellystars » May 16th, '09, 02:18

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I am excited to check them out! I will let you know what I think :)

moonprincess98

Post by moonprincess98 » May 16th, '09, 02:44

You're welcome! I look forward to hearing what you think. Hopefully you'll get some more suggestions so you'll have as big a list as I do! :lol

mrayearth

Post by mrayearth » May 16th, '09, 04:25

Try:
GOONG / Princess Hours
Full House
Coffee Prince

They are my fave in KDrama so far.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » May 16th, '09, 04:41

If you like MNIKSS, you most probably are a fan of Kim Sun Ah. She is now playing in a new drama called The City Hall, and it's hilarious. The first two episodes of CH as far as her character is concerned are a bit cheesy, compared to her tough character as Kim Sam Soon. But there are flashes of Kim Sun Ah/Kim Sam Soon in CH, and the show is getting better and better.

bellystars

Post by bellystars » May 18th, '09, 06:39

Yes, I am a big fan of Kim Sun Ah...can't wait to check out her new show, thanks for that suggestion!

Also, thanks for your suggestions as well mrayearth! I will add those to my list as well :)

For those of you who have seen Soulmate...didn't you find a lot of the characters to be annoying? The 2 "soulmates" I loved, but their boyfriend and girlfriend really drive me crazy! I am going to finish it since I only have a few eps left, but I won't look back on it afterwards.

Spring Waltz for me is just BORING...maybe it will pick up up in later eps...but I don't know if I am willing to dedicate myself to all 20 eps if it doesn't get interesting soon,lol

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » May 18th, '09, 07:10

I love My Name is Kim Sam Soon too. But the next choices you watched aren't the greatest dramas out there to follow that. Spring Waltz is more for the tearjerker types. While many recommended Soulmate even though it was underrated, I watched the first 2 episodes and the main girls got on my nerves. Now I totally understand why it was so underrated!!

So for something along the lines of MNKSS, I would recommend:

Full House
My Girl
Coffee Prince
Boys Over Flowers
Last Scandal
Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang
Be Strong Geum Soon

there's more recommendations in my site at http://goldlilys.110mb.com/drama_col.html
Waiting:
J: WatashiGaRenaiDekinaiRiyuu, HimitsuErika, NankyokuTairiku, KaseifuNoMita, NazotokiDinner
K: TreeWithDeepRoots, FlowerShop, Me2Flower
C: InTimeWithYou

moonprincess98

Post by moonprincess98 » May 18th, '09, 14:38

bellystars wrote: For those of you who have seen Soulmate...didn't you find a lot of the characters to be annoying? The 2 "soulmates" I loved, but their boyfriend and girlfriend really drive me crazy! I am going to finish it since I only have a few eps left, but I won't look back on it afterwards.

Spring Waltz for me is just BORING...maybe it will pick up up in later eps...but I don't know if I am willing to dedicate myself to all 20 eps if it doesn't get interesting soon,lol
I did find them very annoying. The only reason that I put up with them was because I thought that I'd get rewarded in the end, but all it did was leave me :cussing: ! It was such a sweet story for it to end the way that it did. But I guess I can't be too mad. There was supposed to be another season of the show that never happened. Oh, well.

As for Spring Waltz, I don't go for the tragic love story/tearjerker/depress me for days dramas. So that's one that I skipped. If it's as boring as you say it is, then I made the right choice! :lol

I'll also recommend a few more: Love Marriage, Three Dads and One Mom, Sweet 18, Saranghae (I Love You) and Witch Yoo Hee.

petite6stix

Post by petite6stix » May 18th, '09, 16:29

Hi! There are some really good ones out there...Last Scandal is alot of fun, What's Up Fox is a great follow up from the writer of MNIKSS and is certainly underrated. If you want to go deeper but really sexy definitely check out Que Sera Sera...I loved everything about it...gets better each epi. Hope this helps!

bellystars

Post by bellystars » May 22nd, '09, 23:44

I just got done with 9 ends 2 outs and, although I wasn't sure if I liked it, it grew on me fast....I LOVED it! So cute and loved the chemistry between the 2 lead characters. Definitely one of my new fave Romantic Comedies.

I started My Girl and didn't make it through episode 1....I just wasn't into it. I started watching Full House last night though and I am already hooked! I think I am only 4 episodes in now, but this will probably be on my favorites list. Next in like is Get Karl, I downloaded the first 2 episodes and I will check them out this weekend. I looked up everyone else's suggestions, and they look like they are fun, so they will the next ones I watch as well. Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!

btw, I wish they had done the sequel to Soulmate, I think it would've been really good! OH, and almost forgot another one I didn't finish was Del Ja's Spring (I think that's the name), it was too corny! Anyone else watch this????

Thanks again!

xoxo, Jax

happybi

Post by happybi » May 23rd, '09, 02:11

Here's my list of best Kdrama. Based on my personal preferences! MNIKSS is only my 3rd favorite on this list!

1.) Full House (Best KDrama ever!!!!!)
2.) My Girl (2nd Best and tie with the next one).
3.) Dal Ja's Spring
4.) What's up fox
5.) Save the last dance for me

Enjoy!

kitty_1434456

Post by kitty_1434456 » May 24th, '09, 12:10

I'M TELLING TOY DEAR,

YOU SHOULD WATCH BOYS OVER FLOWERS AND MY GIRL!

I'M RECCOMMENDING YOU BOYS OVER FLOWERS AND MY GIRL!

BELEIVE ME! YOU'LL LOVE IT!

bellystars

Post by bellystars » May 24th, '09, 20:40

OK, so I just read that they are making a Full House season2! I really hope Bi is in this one...he really grew on me by the end of the show, and I hope that the lead actress is the same as well...although she is currently in the kdrama with Hyun Bin...World Within, or something like that?

Has anyone else heard any news about the show or who is cast?

kitty_1434456

Post by kitty_1434456 » May 27th, '09, 09:35

HI BELLYSTARS! HAVE YOU WATCH BOYS OVER FLOWERS ALREADY??? I RECOMMEND YOU THAT KDRAMA! I PROMISE YOU WILL LIKE THAT DRAMA! PLEASE TRY TO WATCH BOYS OVER FLOWERS!!! AND THEN TELL ME WHAT CAN YOU SAY ABOUT THAT KDRAMA!

I RECCOMMEND YOU BOYS OVER FLOWERS!!!

BOYS OVER FLOWERS!

PLEASE WATCH IT!

XiaoPauli
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by XiaoPauli » May 27th, '09, 09:40

Boys Over Flowers is nothing like MNIKSS. You'll have better luck with My Girl or Cinderella Man.

umi1978

Post by umi1978 » May 30th, '09, 12:51

Hi Bellystars,
I am a big fan of Kim Sun Ah too! I suggest you can try watching another drama 'When it's at night'. It's another drama starring Kim Sun Ah before her new drama 'City Hall'. My husband and i enjoyed watching it!
My blog: http://www.koreanclicks.com
Sharing a passion for Korean drama and culture

icefish0724

Post by icefish0724 » Jun 11th, '09, 11:12

I recommend Dal Ja's Spring and Flowers for my Life/I Came in Search of a Flower. Who are You? is also a good drama.

Flowers for my life is the best of the 3...This is the most touching Drama I've seen. It almost felt like an Italian Indie film (I think because of the songs and the summer rural mood). It dwells on the topic of existentialism, but not so much as to bury other big themes like money, family, and of course, love. *sigh* Cha Tae Hyun delivered what is expected of him in this Drama. Of course, with him at the helm,it would definitely be funny...but touching as well.

Who are You: Great acting by Yoon Kye Sang. The storyline is quite unique (at least in the realm of K-Dramas) Go Ah Ra, just gives me blank stares sometimes. Her acting is n\decetn but not good enough...

Dal Ja's Spring: It's story is closest to MNIKSS. I think it's quite different in that every episode is a story itself. Kind of like foreign series. It's funny too! Lee Min Ki and Cha Rim did great in ths Drama.

bellystars

Post by bellystars » Jun 16th, '09, 04:50

Thanks for the latest replies...I have been on vacation and am just getting back, ill check these out!

umi1978

Post by umi1978 » Jun 17th, '09, 06:40

Hi Bellystars, Welcome back! I'm sure you have alot more dramas to catch up. :lol
My blog: http://www.koreanclicks.com
Sharing a passion for Korean drama and culture