The Lawyers of The Great Republic Korea (MBC, 2008)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Zealousy
Posts: 362
Joined: Apr 9th, '08, 01:52
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

The Lawyers of The Great Republic Korea (MBC, 2008)

Post by Zealousy » Jul 3rd, '08, 06:48

Image
(Credit to yeohweping @ soompi)

Title: 대한민국 변호사 / The Lawyers of The Great Republic Korea
Also known as: South Korean Lawyers / Lawyers of Korea / Great ~ Han Min g**k Attorney
Genre: Romance
Episodes: 16
Broadcast network: MBC
Broadcast period: 2008-Jul-09 to 2008-Aug
Air time: Wednesdays & Thursdays 21:55 (9:55 Korean time)


Sypnosis:
Lee Ae Ri and Han Min g**k are a couple who are in the process of getting their divorce. Han Min g**k is a wealthy man who maintains a million dollar fortune and his top actress wife, Ae Ri, files a 100 billion won lawsuit against him. Byun Hyuk is the lawyer that represents Ae Ri in her divorce suit against her husband while Woo Lee Kyung is the new lawyer who represents Min g**k. Though they don't get along with each other in the beginning because they each represent other clients, Byun Hyuk and Lee Kyung slowly fall for each other.

Ryu Soo Young as Byun Hyuk
Lee Soo Kyung as Woo Lee Kyung
Han Eun Jung as Lee Ae Ri
Lee Sung Jae as Han Min g**k

Information from dramawiki
Honey, honey, honey...

ttoo66
Posts: 14
Joined: Mar 24th, '08, 16:42

Post by ttoo66 » Aug 8th, '08, 15:03

the lead actor character is soooo great but i haven't loved the lead actress yet

milk.coffee
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 7th, '08, 17:25

Post by milk.coffee » Aug 10th, '08, 18:46

I was interested in this drama at first...but the girl who play the lawyer killed it for mee....for some reason, i'm so annoyed with her acting...the way she keeps on yelling and shrieking...iono, mayb it just me but i stopped watching after it after ep 2

celest4
Posts: 1
Joined: Aug 11th, '08, 17:22

Post by celest4 » Aug 11th, '08, 17:30

I can't believe there aren't enough fans for this! Once I found out Ryu Soo Young and Han Eun Jung were going to be a part of this, I jumped on board! For some reason I find this drama a lot different than the rest probably because I'm still not sure who's gonna end up with who and what's gonna happen next. So far very addictive...Please keep the subs coming!

Biggest surprise for me aren't the two leads Ryu Soo Young and Lee Soo Kyung, but Lee Sung Jae who plays (Dae...lol) Han Min g**k and Han Eun Jung who plays his ex Ae Ri. They fit their characters perfectly! Love this drama!

Lucille
Posts: 211
Joined: Mar 9th, '08, 00:57
Location: Virginia

Post by Lucille » Aug 15th, '08, 13:42

I love this drama too. True the story isn't really going anywhere as far as the divoice is concerned, but I love Han Min (business guy) character. His character is the right combination of quirkiness and power. Also, how can you not love his driver. The driver is probably one of my favorite characters. It is also interesting because you DON'T know what couple to root for. Honestly, right now I would be happy with any pairing. This drama has some suprising funny moments. The fight in the parking lot (i'm laughing now just thinking about it), the short pants and blazer, and Han Min standing outside the office building telling people to pass. This is a good drama. More people should give it a chance.

onyna
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 3rd, '07, 07:40

Post by onyna » Aug 15th, '08, 15:15

love this drama!!!!! HAN MIN GOOKS CHARACTER especially does it for me! the actor manages to carry off his role so well!!! i am really really loving this drama! best one i have seen this year so far! :thumleft: :P :D

ahhh also getting so interesting!!!! i like HMG and lee kyung's chemistry and pairing! iv already repeated watching most of the episodes!!! so planning to buy the dvd as soon as its released!!! :cheers: :w00t: :lol

hope it ends well!

rupisima
Posts: 8
Joined: Mar 2nd, '07, 17:37

Hooked

Post by rupisima » Aug 15th, '08, 19:08

Thanks for subbing and uploading this one. I am really enjoying this drama, despite the uncertainty and hazy beginning; the characters and story really do grow on you. The development of the characters and performance of the actors does become more enjoyable as you get into the drama. Next episodes seem very promising and i eagerly anticipate them.

User avatar
Dimpzz
Posts: 5
Joined: Mar 29th, '06, 05:08
Location: USA

Post by Dimpzz » Aug 17th, '08, 01:09

Anyone know where can i find the english lyrics of the OST of this drama?? please i really like the two songs of this drama the title is "Beautiful Trip" and "Homesick" please help me out uhuhuhu :(

User avatar
Zealousy
Posts: 362
Joined: Apr 9th, '08, 01:52
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by Zealousy » Aug 17th, '08, 01:16

^
I have the Korean lyrics, if it helps. D;
Honey, honey, honey...

User avatar
Dimpzz
Posts: 5
Joined: Mar 29th, '06, 05:08
Location: USA

Post by Dimpzz » Aug 17th, '08, 01:51

is there posible to translate it into english? :D huhu i really like those songs :D
Zealousy wrote:^
I have the Korean lyrics, if it helps. D;

User avatar
4everU
Posts: 359
Joined: Aug 24th, '07, 07:32
Location: USA

Post by 4everU » Aug 17th, '08, 13:13

yeah...i am very surprised that i love this drama...at first when i first read the title and read the summery..i didn't even bother..but then later iwas like let me just give it a try..now me and my two sisters love it.. :lol I want han min g**k and his lawyer together and her ex to be with his ex..i like all the characters...bu ti really like han min gooks character the most. at first i thought he would be the jack ass/bastard type that i would hate...but he's so freakin funny! i love his comments when he's trying to be serious but they are always funny! can't wait to see what happens...now i kno i should not judge a drama by it's title! :crazy:

Basuha
Posts: 77
Joined: Jan 18th, '08, 13:10

Keep you on your TOES

Post by Basuha » Aug 17th, '08, 14:03

I'm really enjoying this drama, my sister and I are split on who should be with who. I like Han min character but if I look at him from a woman aspect he a jerk. What he did to his wife was shameful and he would do it to the Lawyer Woo in due time. I really hate it when women think a man action is driving by a woman personality. A man action be it good or bad is due to his DNA and good Female role model. In time the love he feeling toward lawyer woo will fizzle and he will start fooling around on her also. If every man being faithful is driving by a Strong woman then we wouldn't have cheater.

I think it more to why Lawyer Byun left for the states but as I continue to watch this drama I really don't care what the reason. I don't want him with Lawyer Woo. I don't think she good enough, she instantly decided to be with her best friend man, know that her best friend is still in love with him, that too much. I wish the best for Han and Lawyer Woo because I like they storyline but it not going to last. Lawyer Woo keep demanding respect from Han Min, he don't know how to give it naturally.

I think Lawyer Byun and the ex wife would make a great couple but they lack chemistry together. Just my opinion on this great drama.

Lucille
Posts: 211
Joined: Mar 9th, '08, 00:57
Location: Virginia

Re: Keep you on your TOES

Post by Lucille » Aug 17th, '08, 16:07

Basuha wrote:I'm really enjoying this drama, my sister and I are split on who should be with who. I like Han min character but if I look at him from a woman aspect he a jerk. What he did to his wife was shameful and he would do it to the Lawyer Woo in due time. I really hate it when women think a man action is driving by a woman personality. A man action be it good or bad is due to his DNA and good Female role model. In time the love he feeling toward lawyer woo will fizzle and he will start fooling around on her also. If every man being faithful is driving by a Strong woman then we wouldn't have cheater.

I think it more to why Lawyer Byun left for the states but as I continue to watch this drama I really don't care what the reason. I don't want him with Lawyer Woo. I don't think she good enough, she instantly decided to be with her best friend man, know that her best friend is still in love with him, that too much. I wish the best for Han and Lawyer Woo because I like they storyline but it not going to last. Lawyer Woo keep demanding respect from Han Min, he don't know how to give it naturally.

I think Lawyer Byun and the ex wife would make a great couple but they lack chemistry together. Just my opinion on this great drama.

I sort of agree and disagree with you. I think both of the men in this drama are jerks. Lawyer Byun because he thinks he can just come back and everything will be ok and Han Min because he does know how to communicate with a woman. I disagree that Byun is too good for Woo. He is not that good. He is overbearing and conceited. He will not respect her wishes and he keeps pushing for them to be together. He hasn't really made an honest attempt to consider her feeling or all that she had to go through while he was gone. She was a secretary and almost lost her house because he left her in debt. Secondly, he doesn't respect the fact that she is a lawyer. He thought it was funny and that she would be easy to beat. How can a woman be with a man who doesn't respect her abilities?

Also, Ae Ri is not without fault. We just have not yet found out all the things she has done. Han Min said it himself that he felt loney in the marriage because she was only concerned about herself. As for her being Lawyer Woo's friend, I don't think she was. She didn't even tell her she was getting a divoice. I don't care about her not picking her to be her lawyer. I wouldn't have picked her either when 100 billion Won are on the line, but she hadn't spoken with Lawyer Woo since the wedding six years ago. It appears as if she only called her when she needed to hide out from the press or when they met at the school.

How can Lawyer Woo's head not be turned by Han Min? It is kinda cute they way he does things to get her attention. (I loved the shorts and the fan) He's had a crush on her since his wedding day. She is lonely. Her lover left her for six years and she has been slugging it out by herself without any real help from her family. Han Min does treat her with respect and he respects her ability as a lawyer. Sure they fight but that is just their dynamic.

Howver, my prediction is that everyone is going to go back to their original places. The lawyers will be together and the divoiced couple will get back together. Korean dramas love putting first loves back together. Although personnally, I could deal with any pairing.

didiellza
Posts: 59
Joined: Feb 1st, '08, 16:24
Location: vienna

Re: Keep you on your TOES

Post by didiellza » Aug 17th, '08, 22:11

Lucille wrote:
I sort of agree and disagree with you. I think both of the men in this drama are jerks. Lawyer Byun because he thinks he can just come back and everything will be ok and Han Min because he does know how to communicate with a woman. I disagree that Byun is too good for Woo. He is not that good. He is overbearing and conceited. He will not respect her wishes and he keeps pushing for them to be together. He hasn't really made an honest attempt to consider her feeling or all that she had to go through while he was gone. She was a secretary and almost lost her house because he left her in debt. Secondly, he doesn't respect the fact that she is a lawyer. He thought it was funny and that she would be easy to beat. How can a woman be with a man who doesn't respect her abilities?
Same thoughts. I really do agree with you here! Even I couldn't say it better.

Also, Ae Ri is not without fault. We just have not yet found out all the things she has done. Han Min said it himself that he felt loney in the marriage because she was only concerned about herself.


Yes I'm really curious to find out what skeleton she has in her closet.

And I agree with you about "them being close friends" i either do think that they really were that close friends. More Lawyer Woo AR's slave she could command around and call when she needs her. And for Lawyer Woo, AR was/is someone she hang around because no-one else would hang around with her . (better to say she pittied her).
Even her (stupid)father said that he never liked her because she used to command his daughter around. And remember ep7 when AR asked her if they still could be friend, because she thought it was her who told the press about the Mother-in-Law prenup. Lawyer Woo for the first time told AR "When you like it, I'm your friend. When you don't, I'm a lawyer. I've told you before, to differentiate clearly whether I'm your friend or the opposing party's lawyer."
But I still do think that she should try to stay away from her "best-fiend's" Ex-Husband. I mean be or not that close friend Lawyer Woo at first considered her as her BEST-FRIEND. She should have shown some fighting against her feelings. (She didn't even try it). :(

How can Lawyer Woo's head not be turned by Han Min? It is kinda cute they way he does things to get her attention. (I loved the shorts and the fan)
Yeah I loved the shorts and the fan thing too. hehe and their fights. At first I hated HMG because of his personality, but then I fell in love with his cute way. I love it how he puts money at first, and that he doesn't mince matters to tell people directly what he is thinking. and the way he lets Lawyer Woo to command him around is just cuuute. (even his mother said once that "He never does thing she told him to do, but He always does things that his lawyer tells him to do!!!(cute)
Korean dramas love putting first loves back together.
Yeah that is, what I am afraid of. I hope they will not put the first lovers back together. I think if you have parted once, you shouldn't start over again because the problemes you had at first, they still will be there (or come up again).

User avatar
Zealousy
Posts: 362
Joined: Apr 9th, '08, 01:52
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by Zealousy » Aug 17th, '08, 22:23

Dimpzz wrote:is there posible to translate it into english? :D huhu i really like those songs :D
Zealousy wrote:^
I have the Korean lyrics, if it helps. D;
My translators are translating from Chinese so I don't think I could help you there, sorry. >_<
Honey, honey, honey...

Lucille
Posts: 211
Joined: Mar 9th, '08, 00:57
Location: Virginia

Re: Keep you on your TOES

Post by Lucille » Aug 19th, '08, 00:55

But I still do think that she should try to stay away from her "best-fiend's" Ex-Husband. I mean be or not that close friend Lawyer Woo at first considered her as her BEST-FRIEND. She should have shown some fighting against her feelings. (She didn't even try it). :(


You're right. She really should have tried harder to resist. If I think about it, she didn't try at all. I still think they sorta make a cute couple. Ae Ri just doesnt' seem like she is strong enough to handle his typ eof personality.

Basuha
Posts: 77
Joined: Jan 18th, '08, 13:10

Re: Keep you on your TOES

Post by Basuha » Aug 19th, '08, 01:42

Lucille wrote:
Basuha wrote:I'm really enjoying this drama, my sister and I are split on who should be with who. I like Han min character but if I look at him from a woman aspect he a jerk. What he did to his wife was shameful and he would do it to the Lawyer Woo in due time. I really hate it when women think a man action is driving by a woman personality. A man action be it good or bad is due to his DNA and good Female role model. In time the love he feeling toward lawyer woo will fizzle and he will start fooling around on her also. If every man being faithful is driving by a Strong woman then we wouldn't have cheater.

I think it more to why Lawyer Byun left for the states but as I continue to watch this drama I really don't care what the reason. I don't want him with Lawyer Woo. I don't think she good enough, she instantly decided to be with her best friend man, know that her best friend is still in love with him, that too much. I wish the best for Han and Lawyer Woo because I like they storyline but it not going to last. Lawyer Woo keep demanding respect from Han Min, he don't know how to give it naturally.

I think Lawyer Byun and the ex wife would make a great couple but they lack chemistry together. Just my opinion on this great drama.

I sort of agree and disagree with you. I think both of the men in this drama are jerks. Lawyer Byun because he thinks he can just come back and everything will be ok and Han Min because he does know how to communicate with a woman. I disagree that Byun is too good for Woo. He is not that good. He is overbearing and conceited. He will not respect her wishes and he keeps pushing for them to be together. He hasn't really made an honest attempt to consider her feeling or all that she had to go through while he was gone. She was a secretary and almost lost her house because he left her in debt. Secondly, he doesn't respect the fact that she is a lawyer. He thought it was funny and that she would be easy to beat. How can a woman be with a man who doesn't respect her abilities?

Also, Ae Ri is not without fault. We just have not yet found out all the things she has done. Han Min said it himself that he felt loney in the marriage because she was only concerned about herself. As for her being Lawyer Woo's friend, I don't think she was. She didn't even tell her she was getting a divoice. I don't care about her not picking her to be her lawyer. I wouldn't have picked her either when 100 billion Won are on the line, but she hadn't spoken with Lawyer Woo since the wedding six years ago. It appears as if she only called her when she needed to hide out from the press or when they met at the school.

How can Lawyer Woo's head not be turned by Han Min? It is kinda cute they way he does things to get her attention. (I loved the shorts and the fan) He's had a crush on her since his wedding day. She is lonely. Her lover left her for six years and she has been slugging it out by herself without any real help from her family. Han Min does treat her with respect and he respects her ability as a lawyer. Sure they fight but that is just their dynamic.

Howver, my prediction is that everyone is going to go back to their original places. The lawyers will be together and the divoiced couple will get back together. Korean dramas love putting first loves back together. Although personnally, I could deal with any pairing.
Thanks for sharing your point of view, I enjoy reading different view point, especially if it about a good drama. I have to disagree with you on the pairing of first love. I agree Korean dramas do have a thing about first love, as part of the main cast., but rarely as the main couple. I really can't see Byun or Woo together especially after Byun seeing how she falling for Han, it just not realistic nor would it be acceptable for (me) to pair them together again. Woo feeling for Han is real and I can't see Byun going back to her when she wanted another man by her side and I can't see Woo deciding now she want to be with Byun after the (Yes, Yes, Yes, on the Elevator) that scene alone ended any hope for Byun and Woo ......Once again just my opinion.

The screenwriter did a good job cutting the bonds that tied Byun and Woo if they didn't it wouldn't work with Ae Ri and Byun .

OMG I can't even remember my first love, oh well how that saying goes. A man care about a women first love but a women only cares about being the man last love or ... (something like that) sorry going off track.....

User avatar
nozomi05
Posts: 63
Joined: Jun 25th, '08, 07:10

Post by nozomi05 » Sep 13th, '08, 16:39

i am still on episode 8 (I like this drama) but I don't think i'll be watching the next few episodes. i don't want Lawyer Woo to be with Han Min. I couldn't wait to find out who ended up with who, so i read spoilers about the series. Lawyer Byun might be a jerk for leaving Lawyer Woo before, but I just don't think its right for a client and a lawyer to be together even after a few years or so...

I loved the actress (Lee Soo Kyung) )that played lawyer Woo in in the drama Soulmate and I liked her in this series too, but I am always for first love and I just happen to like the actor that played lawyer Byun.

User avatar
MizTsukuura
Posts: 53
Joined: Aug 22nd, '06, 05:15
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

Post by MizTsukuura » Sep 15th, '08, 04:59

i think i gotte see this!!! :D

User avatar
rabibi
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 19th, '08, 01:18

Post by rabibi » Sep 19th, '08, 01:22

Zealousy wrote:^
I have the Korean lyrics, if it helps. D;
i'd like the korean lyrics
in hangul i mean
it's be nice
thanks

gerald_tot
Posts: 82
Joined: Sep 3rd, '07, 08:22
Location: Manila,Philippines

Post by gerald_tot » Sep 22nd, '08, 05:26

wow first time to see this discussion about it. im almost done with this drama. its great! :) the comedy is just unexpected
hope more people will watch this

User avatar
Zealousy
Posts: 362
Joined: Apr 9th, '08, 01:52
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by Zealousy » Sep 28th, '08, 18:38

rabibi wrote:
Zealousy wrote:^
I have the Korean lyrics, if it helps. D;
i'd like the korean lyrics
in hangul i mean
it's be nice
thanks
Any specific songs?
Honey, honey, honey...

Lucille
Posts: 211
Joined: Mar 9th, '08, 00:57
Location: Virginia

Post by Lucille » Sep 28th, '08, 21:05

Once again, thanks for subbing this drama. It was really cute.

gerald_tot
Posts: 82
Joined: Sep 3rd, '07, 08:22
Location: Manila,Philippines

Post by gerald_tot » Oct 2nd, '08, 14:59

im kinda curios. what is the cellphone of ae ri and the billonaires?
it looks pretty cool

Darkdrakan
Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 14th, '06, 00:02
Location: MA

not the ending i preferred

Post by Darkdrakan » Oct 2nd, '08, 16:58

Spoiler alert??

It's kind of frustrating watching this drama when you're rooting for the couple that is not going to end up together. I was supporting Ryu Su Young's character because I felt that he returned to Korea sincerely wanting to reconcile with Yi Kyung but she never gave him the chance. First impression is also very important to me and Han Min Guk fell out of favor with me when I saw how he treated Ae Ri in their marriage. I also don't support things like divorce and like the concept of first loves getting back together.

I have to agree with most people that the drama did a good job of maintaining the suspense by not clearly foreshadowing who would end up together but that was only early on. Once you reach the middle of the series you notice significantly more screen time for Han Min Guk and Woo Yi Kyung while Ae Ri and Byun Hyuk make minimal appearances. Also, someone said that the elevator "yes" scene also sealed the deal for HMG and WYK.

Although the show has the word lawyer in the title and revolves around this lawsuit sometimes I felt that WYK was just a secretary walking around HMG building. There was that much "lawyer stuff" going on.

overall? 3.5 out of 5 stars for me

cuteangelika
Posts: 239
Joined: Feb 6th, '05, 03:32
Location: New Zealand

Re: not the ending i preferred

Post by cuteangelika » Oct 9th, '08, 07:58

Darkdrakan wrote:Spoiler alert??

It's kind of frustrating watching this drama when you're rooting for the couple that is not going to end up together. I was supporting Ryu Su Young's character because I felt that he returned to Korea sincerely wanting to reconcile with Yi Kyung but she never gave him the chance. First impression is also very important to me and Han Min Guk fell out of favor with me when I saw how he treated Ae Ri in their marriage. I also don't support things like divorce and like the concept of first loves getting back together.


overall? 3.5 out of 5 stars for me
Agree with the rating... and the comments. I, too, was rooting for a different ending/couple and at about episode 13++, I got so confused that I jumped to the last episode just to check who ended up with whom. And boy, was I disappointed.

If it was first loves, then shouldn't the ending be different? All in all, it was entertaining -- at least the ending was nothing like Lovers in Paris....

Nayuu
Posts: 12
Joined: Sep 8th, '07, 14:44

Post by Nayuu » Jan 28th, '09, 20:18

It is a good drama. Nice idea...

But WHY is the storyline so strange?
L.Woo got abandoned 6 years ago and struggelt to overcome the pain of being left behind.
L. Byun came back after 6 years, full of sincere love for her.

They wanted to get married. They loved each other. They could have chemistry.

Pain requires Love. Hate requires Love. How can someone be in pain for 6 years, how can someone love so deep...
... but not care at all when the lost love shows up again?!

Following the story, it seems she never really loved him at all. Closed eyes, closed ears, closed heart.
He had his reasons. You can see in every drama such situations. Someone has a problem and don't want his/her loved ones to know about it. But she never listen to him.
He is SO sincere. He loves her SO much.

Why does she have to be so ugly? At least she could say "I didn't even love you six years before, go away." ...haha - but NO... the only thing she says is "you turd, i'm the poor one" ... wtf?

And HMG.. cute? He deserves it all. He is like a child. Ae Ri loves him SO much. And he didn't see anything at all. Ae Ri is such a pure and lovly character, a strong character.
And the outcome after the divorce should be fair? lol...

So we have 2 beautiful characters.
And two strange characters.

L.Woo didn't sincere care about her best friend and didn't care about the one who loved her. Didn't care about her so called love.

HMG and L.Woo have really nothing in common despite the fact that they are both selfish and ignorant. What chemistry?

Ahhh... i really don't get it. What moral is this? What did they want us to see with this drama?! That good values are not worth anything? That real love is just a joke? That friendship is just a joke?

LOL .. okay, i'll stop here. But, if anybody can give me an answer.. please.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest