Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Yi San, King Jeong Jo (MBC, 2007)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Ssang

Yi San, King Jeong Jo (MBC, 2007)

Post by Ssang » Oct 11th, '07, 01:56

From the makers of Dae Jang Geum...

Subtitles thread: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_53638.htm

Official Website: http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/isan/
English website: http://content.mbc.co.kr/e_mbc/drama.asp?idx=368
Soompi thread: http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153429
Wiki: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Yi_San

Screens from eps 1-5:
I can't decide which show I like more between Yi San and its timeslot and Joseon-era sageuk rival The King And I.

Yi San seems to breathe a bit easier aesthetically than The King And I, whereas the latter seems much more serious acting and story wise. I enjoy both shows a lot.

snowangel414

Post by snowangel414 » Nov 11th, '07, 05:19

this drama made me questioned who in the world is the culprit.... surprisingly it was the queen as the head of the group.. wow... who would have known....

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Nov 18th, '07, 08:38

I just finished watching episode 17.

Great episode. That's all I can say about it. I like Yi San's right-hand man a lot.

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Nov 21st, '07, 02:56

Those pics reminded me that Song Yeon's little brother is gonna appear later somehow. And Song Yeon will go through the obligatory kidnap and rescue, again.

It's a wonder that the Prince hasn't gotten knocked off yet. For so long he was basically without allies and competent guards, and the conspirators really stuffed up by not offing him when they had the chance. Without his current advisors going behind his back he'd be a goner now too.

How is the Princess (the one who is trying to kill the Prince) not married? Surely she would have been married off as a matter of state long ago.

The Prince and Song Yeon are so obviously smitten, but who wouldn't be, Han Ji Min is way cute.

swtaznangel530

Post by swtaznangel530 » Dec 28th, '07, 21:45

Can anyone tell me how this drama compares to Jumong? I really liked Jumong and I was willing to sit through 80 episodes. And I notice that this one is 60 episodes, is it really good and worth to sit through it? Let me know please. Thanks!

pridea

Post by pridea » Dec 28th, '07, 22:01

Yi San isnt as good as Jumong(not many historical dramas are), but still very good. So far not as many fighting scenes as Jumong and tends to drag a bit... but overall still very good and recommended.

parnz

Post by parnz » Jan 10th, '08, 12:14

i really wanna see the drama
thanks so much ^ ^
i heard everyone said this was really good drama !

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Jan 11th, '08, 09:16

does anybody happen to have the OP seq for this series that they'd be willing to share?

Bill.Zeebub

Post by Bill.Zeebub » Jan 11th, '08, 15:02

Well, I have it but it's quite large considering the playtime (1mn 590ms) 140 mb. "MBC.LeeSan.Opening.1080i.mpeg2.tp"

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Jan 11th, '08, 17:49

wow, 140 mb for that much? Well that's fine, I have a big hard drive :D

Bill.Zeebub

Post by Bill.Zeebub » Jan 12th, '08, 09:37

I 've uploaded the clip to filefront. Hope you're familiar with tp/ts files. :-)

Details:
Format : MPEG-2 Transport
Format/Family : MPEG-2
File size : 141 MiB
PlayTime : 1mn 590ms
Bit rate : 19 Mbps
Video #E0 / 11
Codec : MPEG-2 Video
Codec profile : Main@High
Codec settings/Matrix : Custom
PlayTime : 1mn 590ms
Bit rate : 80 Mbps
Bit rate mode : CBR
Width : 1920 pixels
Height : 1080 pixels
Aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : Composite
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.287
Audio #81 / 14
Codec : AC3
Codec profile : Dolby Digital
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Bit rate mode : CBR
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48 KHz
Video0 delay : -321ms
Language : Korean

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Jan 12th, '08, 18:03

thanks for sharing! Actually I'm not familiar with hd file formats, but I'll find a way to deal with it.

a14klotus

Princess-Aunt Adopted Son

Post by a14klotus » Mar 9th, '08, 20:48

Which episode tells how and why the Yi San's Princess Aunt adopted her son?

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 16th, '08, 00:56

I'm surprised that this show is not getting the recognition on this forum, since this is pretty much the highest rated drama in Korea at the moment - I think. And for the most part the history is spot on, unlike the shameful fiction that is Dae Jo Yong and others of that ilk.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 16th, '08, 13:25

beertax wrote:I'm surprised that this show is not getting the recognition on this forum, since this is pretty much the highest rated drama in Korea at the moment - I think.
Episodes = 50

You'll find that's the reason for its lack of recognition. Even the great Jumong which had ratings of well over 50% only managed something like a 6 page thread. We like 'em short & sweet around here :)

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 17th, '08, 04:41

Sageuks are outside the D-addicts and on the periphery of the Soompi demographic. I haven't watched Yi San because our local MBC outlet, for whatever reason, have dropped subtitling their shows. This one may be a purchase or a future grab, but my mum wants me to get her more episodes already! :)

aimlesswanderer

Re: Princess-Aunt Adopted Son

Post by aimlesswanderer » Mar 17th, '08, 07:12

a14klotus wrote:Which episode tells how and why the Yi San's Princess Aunt adopted her son?
Guess we never get to see it, given what's happened. I'm wondering why she wasn't married off to a neighbouring kingdom or a noble family, since that'd improve the kingdom's position.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 20th, '08, 15:07

belleza wrote:Sageuks are outside the D-addicts and on the periphery of the Soompi demographic. I haven't watched Yi San because our local MBC outlet, for whatever reason, have dropped subtitling their shows. This one may be a purchase or a future grab, but my mum wants me to get her more episodes already! :)
I personally don't think sageuks are really outside the d-addicts and soompi demographic. Sure, they might not be as popular as typical rom-coms, but if Jumong was less than 24 episodes a lot of us would be keen on it. Just take The Legend for example, it has quite a large following around here and soompi because at a bite-sized 24 episodes it's easily digested. But other sageuks with their over-inflated number of episodes are a huge deterrent for the average viewer.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 22nd, '08, 00:07

Just take The Legend for example, it has quite a large following around here and soompi because at a bite-sized 24 episodes it's easily digested.
Legend is kind of a unique situation because there was a mountain of hype for the show going on well over a year. In fact, a lot of people were waiting to see whether The Legend would be "The Ishtar" of K-drama, due to the negative press surrounding it. I always saw The Legend as a Hallyu show, rather than merely a Korean sageuk. To a degree, the same applied for Jumong. MBC actually ran "behind the scene" shows for both Jumong and the Four Gods before they really started airing. Both shows cost way, way too much to be merely successful among the traditional sageuk demographic (men over 40? women over 25.)

To me, what Dramabeans says about her attitudes toward sageuks really speaks to the normal D-addicts and much of Soompi feel about it. The other thing is, the Soompi/D-addicts community watch a lot of the teen-oriented shows that are not popular at all in Korea, but for the Netizen community. New Heart generated higher ratings than Coffee Prince; Happiness has been a solid hit for SBS. Likable or Not has achieved national drama status in Korea. But there's relatively mediocre buzz on these shows.

Another thing is perception of actors and actresses. Han Ji Min is very, very popular, maybe only one level lower than YEH in Korea. It's because she also does Entertainment Relay for KBS (that's KBS's "Entertainment Weekly" program), so people watch her every week whether her show is on any other channel. She's one of the very, very few actors under 25 who appeals to all age groups.

dramakid

Post by dramakid » Mar 23rd, '08, 00:55

When do the ost usually come out ? After serise is completed?

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Mar 29th, '08, 13:17

belleza wrote:
Another thing is perception of actors and actresses. Han Ji Min is very, very popular, maybe only one level lower than YEH in Korea. It's because she also does Entertainment Relay for KBS (that's KBS's "Entertainment Weekly" program), so people watch her every week whether her show is on any other channel. She's one of the very, very few actors under 25 who appeals to all age groups.
Am I ever happy that Han Ji Min is in more series! She is so adorable, it's no wonder she is so popular. Yi San is an interesting and unfortunately all too rare series just the kind I like, and with Han Ji Min it is all good. If only she had a bigger role.....

snowangel414

Post by snowangel414 » Apr 4th, '08, 19:58

bravo for the excellent director/script writer and great cast for another splendid historical drama. I don't see any ep that is slow pace at all. Every ep is intriguing and intense. bravo for a great drama.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Apr 10th, '08, 19:04

belleza wrote:Sageuks are outside the D-addicts and on the periphery of the Soompi demographic. I haven't watched Yi San because our local MBC outlet, for whatever reason, have dropped subtitling their shows. This one may be a purchase or a future grab, but my mum wants me to get her more episodes already! :)
And it's a damn great shame. It's a shame that something totally braindead and an insult to the viewer, like Goong, gets a buttload of attention, and Yi San gets ignored.

RyuNoKami

Post by RyuNoKami » Apr 11th, '08, 05:07

yea cause unfortunately most of our younger generation can not sit through history...think about all the complaints about history classes.

besides, even within my own family only I watch historical dramas. at least more often than anyone else. very strange.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Apr 11th, '08, 15:06

And, the fact is, Yi San is pretty popular at Soompi, and even here. It burns my hot cross buns when some ignorant twit comes along and says "I speak for D-Addicts, and we don't watch sageuks"... Or even worse, when some self proclaimed hero to the community announces that "kimchi dramas all suck".

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 11th, '08, 16:03

(doubled posted please delete)
Last edited by belleza on Apr 11th, '08, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 11th, '08, 16:24

belleza wrote:
It burns my hot cross buns when some ignorant twit comes along and says "I speak for D-Addicts, and we don't watch sageuks"..
Sorry if it came across that way. As you said, Yi San and some other sageuks are popular over at Soompi and are DL'd here too. I wish there was more fansub support for some of the other lesser known ones, but that's unrealistic.
yea cause unfortunately most of our younger generation can not sit through history...think about all the complaints about history classes.
It's not as popular among the 15-30 female Korean audience, but they do well across male demographic. But I think it depends on the sageuk. Fusion dramas appeal to younger audience; the massive KBS1 sageuks skew much older. Lee Byung Hoon's sageuks (Yi San) appeal to mostly everbody.

chocomocha

Post by chocomocha » Nov 23rd, '08, 06:59

Its cos korea have got different audience..
We forigners .. not many of us watch long episodes..

But i currently like the story.. kinda draggy but i like to see how it ends! Its funny too!

Best historical drama in the world of drama is 'Dae Jeum Gum'

yulia

Post by yulia » Nov 26th, '08, 16:55

i didn't download yi san ost..:( Anyone else know where i am found this drama ost?

yulia

Post by yulia » Nov 26th, '08, 16:56

i didn't download yi san ost..:( Anyone else know where i am found this drama ost? :cry: