Worst K-Drama Couple

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Post Reply
User avatar
fizzlex3mh
Posts: 312
Joined: Feb 15th, '07, 01:11

Worst K-Drama Couple

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jul 21st, '07, 01:37

Which Kdrama couple did you dislike the most and why?

Worst:
Song Seung Heon and Song Hye Kyo pairing in Autumn Tale. Yeah, they're probably the best looking couple there is. And they did love each other a lot. But I hated them together. They were siblings for Pete's sake. Not biological, but still. Stuff like that just shouldn't happen. I didn't feel sorry for their relationship one bit.

Other ones I disliked:
Witch Yoo Hee: Jae Hee and Han Ga In. No chemistry at all. Whatsoever. Moving on...
Bad Family: Love the drama, but was completely turned off by the 12-year (I was so turned off I had to look it up in the wiki) age difference between Kim Myung Min and Nam Sang Mi.
My Name is Kim Sam Soon: Hyun Bin is a hottie. He deserved better. Kim Sun Ah, actually Sam Soon, was the sole reason why I didn't enjoy the drama as much as I should have.

User avatar
gummonster
Posts: 290
Joined: Apr 14th, '06, 19:00
Location: USA

Post by gummonster » Jul 21st, '07, 03:16

the couple i hate most in my life is the Goong couple. i do not like them at all, not funny not cute. and the most overrated couple.
and agree about the My Name is Kim Samsoon couple, i hated that drama cuz of her. i keep wanted hyun bin and daniel to like Jung Ryu Won

my favorite couple is BIKYO <3333

and actually i really like Song Seung Heon and Song hYe kyo, theyr'e on of my favorites, i think their love is nothing wrong.

User avatar
BabiiBue92
Posts: 33
Joined: Jul 5th, '07, 06:07

Post by BabiiBue92 » Jul 21st, '07, 05:27

I agree with you two on My Name Is Kim Sam-Soon!
The drama was really funny and all, but when I was watchin it,It kinda made me sick when I saw Sam Soon and Hyun Bin kissing and being in love.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
and Sam Soon really got annyion at times, aghhhhhh and when she talked it really bothered me. She sounds like an old lady..lol Ha
Hyun Bin looked soo cute with the other girl(His 1st gf)
They should ahve been the main couple
Last edited by BabiiBue92 on Jul 21st, '07, 05:37, edited 2 times in total.
Image

Image
Image

ngocphuongaus
Posts: 23
Joined: Apr 26th, '05, 08:20

Re: Worst K-Drama Couple

Post by ngocphuongaus » Jul 21st, '07, 05:29

fizzlex3mh wrote:Which Kdrama couple did you dislike the most and why?

Worst:
Song Seung Heon and Song Hye Kyo pairing in Autumn Tale. Yeah, they're probably the best looking couple there is. And they did love each other a lot. But I hated them together. They were siblings for Pete's sake. Not biological, but still. Stuff like that just shouldn't happen. I didn't feel sorry for their relationship one bit.

Other ones I disliked:
Witch Yoo Hee: Jae Hee and Han Ga In. No chemistry at all. Whatsoever. Moving on...
Bad Family: Love the drama, but was completely turned off by the 12-year (I was so turned off I had to look it up in the wiki) age difference between Kim Myung Min and Nam Sang Mi.
My Name is Kim Sam Soon: Hyun Bin is a hottie. He deserved better. Kim Sun Ah, actually Sam Soon, was the sole reason why I didn't enjoy the drama as much as I should have.
great mind think alike :wub:

User avatar
redkittygal
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 5th, '07, 03:53
Location: United States

Post by redkittygal » Jul 21st, '07, 05:46

actually i dont agree with the whole kim sam soon thing, i think that hyun bin and kim suh ah was cute together.... the only reason they could possibly be considered a bad couple is because of the chracter kim sam soon not because it was hyun bin and kim sun ah.... :cussing:

BUT for me the worst couple was Lee Dong Wook and Kim Ok Bin in Hanoi Bride... it wasn't cute i didn't think that they had chemistry :cussing: :scratch:

User avatar
kobe23
Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 6th, '06, 23:19
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by kobe23 » Jul 21st, '07, 14:33

Worst

Kwon Sang Woo and Choi Ji Woo - They had chemistry but for some reason annoyed the heck out of me. Maybe it's because they both cried so much. KSW's character cried like a girl....a very pathetic girl. And I've seen enough of CJW's wailing to last a lifetime. I kinda wished the whole STH series was based on when they were younger - and better looking!

Other dislikes

Jae Hee and Han Chae Young - I know this couple is very popular around here, but I just couldn't get myself to like them. Too childish,. too annoying.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now. Oh and yeah, I agree with the Kim Sun Ah thing too. If I was Hyun Bin's character I would've chosen Jung Ryu Won's character in an instant.

User avatar
xiah1fan
Posts: 241
Joined: Nov 4th, '06, 06:22
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by xiah1fan » Jul 21st, '07, 15:04

Worst
Only U Couple's....Hated them......Eyuuuu......The guy was just Tooo weak...!!!

Other dislikes
Witch Yoo Hee.......No was they weren't that good couple...... :crazy: ....She was SO much cuter with Dennis O'Neil.....

OMG..How Can You not like the Sam Soon Couple??...:They were one of my favorite's......The same With Goong......Kim Sun ah is not that ugly....She is beautiful....."Hyun Bin is a hottie. He deserved " Whattt.....!!...I srry but i completely Disagree .....
But i agree with you when it comes to Bad family....That was Eyu...Love the movie....But Hate her taste in the movie...She had such a hottie but she didn't want him...But it was just A MOVIE......=)...

(No Offense)
ImageImage
......................May I Sarang You? :cry: ................

User avatar
eirammm
Posts: 55
Joined: Jan 10th, '06, 00:35
Location: canada
Contact:

Post by eirammm » Aug 13th, '07, 00:57

i too agree with kim sam soon's pairing. my korean friends enjoy that drama sooo much and they keep on forcing me to see this one... okk the guy was cute.. LIKE CUTE CUTE... of course that was hyun bin.. but then gooosh,, the only thing that kept me going was because of hyun bin and not the main girl.. i think she's over acting... i mainly skpped through episodes.... it's much better if the main girl was jung ryu won (the second girl in this drama), although she wouldn't fit the description of sam soon... but hyun binXjung ryu won pairing is much better than with kim soon ah...

ANOTHER KDRAMA I EVER HATEEEED!!! not only the pairing is bad but the storyline was the worst and weak: THE FIREWORKS. han chae young was one of my favourite actresses. i just love her.. definitely a good actress. i've seen all of her dramas and that's why i am soo frustrated that this drama has been a project for her. i mean she doesn't suit a character like this.. i really get irritated when she becomes an evil woman who would anything just to steal the 2 men in her life from some girl when SHE IS SUPPOSED TO THE MAIN GIRL here and that her devilish acts shouldn't be like an antagonist.. and soo bad pairing. chaeXkang ji hwan.. i don't actually like this actor that's why i thought it was a bad pairing..hehe.. but yea i hated him more with his role in this...
Image
Watchin`: HanaKimi (Ikemen Paradise) ; Coffee Prince ; Why Why Love
Readin`:http://www.mangaupdates.com/mylist.html ... &list=read

arabian
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mar 29th, '06, 19:32

Post by arabian » Aug 13th, '07, 09:11

kobe23 wrote:Worst

Kwon Sang Woo and Choi Ji Woo - They had chemistry but for some reason annoyed the heck out of me. Maybe it's because they both cried so much. KSW's character cried like a girl....a very pathetic girl. And I've seen enough of CJW's wailing to last a lifetime. I kinda wished the whole STH series was based on when they were younger - and better looking!
That what I want to say abotu the worst .. After watching this drama I told myself *ENOUGH* no more with this dramas.. :crazy:

Other ones I disliked:

Hyun Bin & Kim Sun Ah in My Name is Kim Sam Soon.. He deserved someone Hot as him.. :mrgreen:
Taking break for quite a long time.. :-)

User avatar
Blindsight
Posts: 26
Joined: Mar 28th, '07, 17:30
Location: Italy

Post by Blindsight » Aug 13th, '07, 09:34

i didn't like the "Prince's first love"'s couple >_<Sung>_<Too>_>
<b>REGULAR OWNER OF</b>... Joo Ji Hoon e Sorimachi Takashi
*però sbavucchio, con permesso, anche su Oh-chan, Aibacicci e Sho-kun ♥ *

Image

User avatar
kobe23
Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 6th, '06, 23:19
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by kobe23 » Aug 13th, '07, 15:19

xiah1fan wrote:OMG..How Can You not like the Sam Soon Couple??...:They were one of my favorite's......The same With Goong......Kim Sun ah is not that ugly....She is beautiful.....
The problem with Kim Sam Soon wasn't because she's ugly - but because she's vulgar and unlady like. I have no problems with country bumpkins or tomboys but at least they still have their femininity intact. Like for eg. SHK in Full House, LDH in My Girl, NSM in Bad Family. Basically KSA in MNIKSS was just a major turn-off.
But i agree with you when it comes to Bad family....That was Eyu...Love the movie....But Hate her taste in the movie...She had such a hottie but she didn't want him...But it was just A MOVIE......=)...
Well I agree the age difference of the leads wasn't ideal, but come on, Oh Dal Gun was a really cool and nice guy with tons of charisma. Whereas the 'squid boy' was just an arrogant prick. Sure, he's cute, but is that all that matters?!

Tomorrowishes
Posts: 17
Joined: Jul 11th, '07, 02:01

Post by Tomorrowishes » Aug 14th, '07, 00:43

kobe23 wrote:
xiah1fan wrote:OMG..How Can You not like the Sam Soon Couple??...:They were one of my favorite's......The same With Goong......Kim Sun ah is not that ugly....She is beautiful.....
The problem with Kim Sam Soon wasn't because she's ugly - but because she's vulgar and unlady like. I have no problems with country bumpkins or tomboys but at least they still have their femininity intact. Like for eg. SHK in Full House, LDH in My Girl, NSM in Bad Family. Basically KSA in MNIKSS was just a major turn-off.

I can see the what you mean when I look at KSS through this POV I think that you're totally right. She was vulgar at times where she could have controlled herself. But personally I think that's what makes KSS different and interesting to watch for me I guess.
But i agree with you when it comes to Bad family....That was Eyu...Love the movie....But Hate her taste in the movie...She had such a hottie but she didn't want him...But it was just A MOVIE......=)...
Well I agree the age difference of the leads wasn't ideal, but come on, Oh Dal Gun was a really cool and nice guy with tons of charisma. Whereas the 'squid boy' was just an arrogant prick. Sure, he's cute, but is that all that matters?!
The age difference was a shocker to me. I didn't even think they'd be a couple until pretty deep into the drama I was like :blink . The little kid made up for everything though.

The couple in Stairway to heaven totally. So many people at school love that drama but I can't stand it. I watched a few eps and that was it for me. I wish they could've paused when they were younger.

I know it says "worst couple" but I have to just add that I really wished that in Over the Rainbow
Sang mi got with Rex. He changed so much over that time that his ending did ot make me happy. Hyeok-joo had pretty good chemistry with Sang mi but not as much as Rex in my opinion. But that's just what I think. :salut:

minuberry
Posts: 20
Joined: Dec 18th, '06, 10:30
Location: NJ

Post by minuberry » Aug 14th, '07, 01:18

In Samsoon, I don't think you guys get the point of the whole drama!
They were suppose to be younger guy dating older woman. (its popular in Korea)

They wanted to show that in the drama.

Also they wanted to say that even if you are fat and old, you can get hot guys!

User avatar
ngrl08
Posts: 16
Joined: Nov 27th, '06, 07:39

Post by ngrl08 » Aug 14th, '07, 01:45

well i'd first like to say that bikyo and the goong couple rock.

and second of all, even though i haven't seen my name is kim sam soon (b/c it just didn't seem very interesting to me), i know that kim sun ah is really pretty..plus she can play the piano like crazy and can speak english very well. ^^ it's just that sam soon is kinda vulgar-ish. sun ah had to gain a few pounds for this role and if you've seen her other works, she's more fit and prettier. look her up.

ps. the bad family couple kind of gave me the shivers but the whole plot of the drama and the other characters and the couples made up for it.

User avatar
xiah1fan
Posts: 241
Joined: Nov 4th, '06, 06:22
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by xiah1fan » Aug 14th, '07, 11:40

minuberry wrote:In Samsoon, I don't think you guys get the point of the whole drama!
They were suppose to be younger guy dating older woman. (its popular in Korea)
!
I agrreee....she was a perfect person ffor the role....Like it or not...It was 1 of the best korean dramas......

User avatar
majing_28
Posts: 95
Joined: Feb 5th, '07, 10:02
Location: japan

Post by majing_28 » Aug 14th, '07, 12:56

umm the worst couple i've seen so far. um maybe in that drama "100 1st proposal" i don't really watch that drama i just see it sometimes in tv.. but choi ji woon's partner there is so old and whatever.. they don't fit together.. seriously

well ofcourse the hottest couple is "BIKYO"
Image
:D bikyo forever!!! :D

User avatar
skachild
Posts: 630
Joined: Sep 5th, '05, 12:29
Contact:

Post by skachild » Aug 14th, '07, 13:05

why no one mention about goong s...???? everyone like the couple in goong s....!!????? :blink :blink
Image :w00t: :cheers:

User avatar
fizzlex3mh
Posts: 312
Joined: Feb 15th, '07, 01:11

Post by fizzlex3mh » Aug 14th, '07, 22:00

minuberry wrote: In Samsoon, I don't think you guys get the point of the whole drama!
They were suppose to be younger guy dating older woman. (its popular in Korea)

They wanted to show that in the drama.

Also they wanted to say that even if you are fat and old, you can get hot guys!
Actually, we do get the point of the drama. I do at least. I know it was supposed to be realistic and everything, and I'm not hating on Kim Sun Ah like some people may think I am. And I don't hate the drama either, I think it's good actually. I just didn't like Sam Soon's character, and that caused me to not like the coupling. That's it.
Currently watching: Women of the Sun || The Last Scandal of My Life

User avatar
remoted
Posts: 90
Joined: Nov 13th, '05, 18:30
Location: Southern California

Post by remoted » Aug 14th, '07, 22:19

Hyeok-ju and Sang-mi from Over the Rainbow.....the least expected couple at the end of the series :glare: Sang-mi was better with Rex, but then that would be a typical cliche ending.

Elyre
Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 10th, '07, 23:18

Post by Elyre » Aug 14th, '07, 22:23

haven't seen KSS yet so I can't comment on that one...

answer to the question: the attic cat couple. mmm... i don't know. i didn't like jung da bin's character. It's kind of annoying.

ncyd
Posts: 64
Joined: Feb 20th, '06, 04:50

Post by ncyd » Aug 14th, '07, 22:52

i think this discussion should be rephrase as worse LOOKING couple or something like that .

kim sun ah and hyun bin is one of my fav. couple because they compliment each other (my bro would not watch the drama b/c of sun ah is not good looking enough for him :w00t: ) At first glance you may think that they don't make a good couple but after a few eps. ppl should be able to see why they are compatible (sun ah is really good looking outside so that can be a plus :D )

i also love bad family but Kim Myung Min and Nam Sang Mi just turns me off (i don't see any chemistry between them at all)

User avatar
LilyPop!
Posts: 19
Joined: Aug 10th, '07, 00:46
Location: New York City

Post by LilyPop! » Aug 15th, '07, 00:06

wow i never thought the kss couple was bad. they had good on-screen chemistry

what i thought was bad was this drama called snow white :x and spring waltz was it?
and the vineyard man really dissappointed me

i really like the couple in Bad Couple - Dang ja an... i forget the guy's name :P
Lovers in Paris, Goong

User avatar
karz000
Posts: 32
Joined: Jun 28th, '07, 01:59
Location: Imperial, Cali

Post by karz000 » Aug 15th, '07, 10:16

hhmm. i actually think Bad Family is a nice drama. but even before i watched it i knew i wouldn't like the romance thing at all because i saw in MV's that the guy looks soo much older than Nam Sang Mi.. but it was a good drama, funny and heartwarming.. just didn't like uncle with nam sang mi.. you know what, i actually pictured Kim Rae Won being a perfect actor for the role of the uncle because i can picture him acting like a gangster and an uncle and still there would be a good chemistry between him and Nam Sang Mi. but oh well. hahah.

User avatar
kobe23
Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 6th, '06, 23:19
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by kobe23 » Aug 15th, '07, 16:58

minuberry wrote:In Samsoon, I don't think you guys get the point of the whole drama!
They were suppose to be younger guy dating older woman. (its popular in Korea)

They wanted to show that in the drama.

Also they wanted to say that even if you are fat and old, you can get hot guys!
Oh I'm well aware of the message in Kim Sam Soon, but to me, older women doesn't necessarily mean she has to be fat, vulgar and unlady like. They went over the top with her character and made her totally undesirable which in turn, made the show somewhat unrealistic.

But having said that, I did enjoy the series and I have no problems with Kim Sun Ah in general. I have seen a few of her movies such as S-Diary and Wet Dreams and she looked much better in those.

User avatar
saby
Posts: 238
Joined: Jun 28th, '07, 08:50

Post by saby » Aug 15th, '07, 17:35

minuberry wrote:
In Samsoon, I don't think you guys get the point of the whole drama!
They were suppose to be younger guy dating older woman. (its popular in Korea)

They wanted to show that in the drama.

Also they wanted to say that even if you are fat and old, you can get hot guys!
I actually like that idea... Im sick of seeing how only cute girls get a hot guy... :wub: and age doesnt really matter


actually i loved ever couple I have seen soo far :D

User avatar
saby
Posts: 238
Joined: Jun 28th, '07, 08:50

Post by saby » Aug 15th, '07, 17:35

minuberry wrote:
In Samsoon, I don't think you guys get the point of the whole drama!
They were suppose to be younger guy dating older woman. (its popular in Korea)

They wanted to show that in the drama.

Also they wanted to say that even if you are fat and old, you can get hot guys!
I actually like that idea... Im sick of seeing how only cute girls get a hot guy... :wub: and age doesnt really matter


actually i loved ever couple I have seen soo far :D

User avatar
franchosa
Posts: 197
Joined: Jul 14th, '06, 06:04

Post by franchosa » Aug 15th, '07, 17:47

For me, it's the What's Up, Fox? couple and right now Lee Jung Jin and Park Soo Ae in 9 End 2 Outs. I just don't feel that they're the right pairing.

User avatar
franchosa
Posts: 197
Joined: Jul 14th, '06, 06:04

Post by franchosa » Aug 15th, '07, 18:56

Oh how can I forget? I think the Oh Ji Ho and Uhm Jung Hwa pairing in Get Karl, Oh Soo Jung is bad too. :crazy:

User avatar
kissformystar
Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 10th, '07, 04:49

Post by kissformystar » Aug 16th, '07, 01:35

I adore Kim Sunah! I think her and Hyun Bin had great chemistry. I think Sunah is beautiful.

I do agree with the Witch Yoo Hee.

I don't think the girl in Summer Scent deserved SSH. She was so annoying and wishy washy. That drama was good but it dragged on.

User avatar
Tyrea
Posts: 47
Joined: Aug 2nd, '07, 23:25

Post by Tyrea » Aug 16th, '07, 11:47

saby wrote:
I actually like that idea... Im sick of seeing how only cute girls get a hot guy... :wub: and age doesnt really matter
i actually find it funny how in the life/relationships subforum people all say how looks aren't important and similar things yet they get even mad (seen it in mnkss thread) saying "he is too hot for her" and "couldnt watch em kiss" etc :P
now that i mention it, some also go like 'he's not good looking, but is nice'...so what if he's not good looking? does it matter if he plays the role well? :P

anyway i've yet to see a couple that i don't like at all (but on the other hand i havent seen too many kdramas, i always pick those that are liked a lot by people on daddicts/soompi)..usually by the end of the series they've been so much together, everything is directed towards that, and they grow on you so even if you can't put em together in the beginning, they fit well at the end. for example, i swear i wanted to kill bi/rain's character most of the time in full house cause he was a jerk beyond limits, and thought she was waaay too good for him, but in the end i thought they were very cute together.

User avatar
kobe23
Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 6th, '06, 23:19
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by kobe23 » Aug 16th, '07, 14:43

Tyrea wrote:
saby wrote:
I actually like that idea... Im sick of seeing how only cute girls get a hot guy... :wub: and age doesnt really matter
i actually find it funny how in the life/relationships subforum people all say how looks aren't important and similar things yet they get even mad (seen it in mnkss thread) saying "he is too hot for her" and "couldnt watch em kiss" etc :P
The thing is in real life looks aren't that important when it comes to relationships because there are so many reasons to like someone besides their appearance, and let's face it, most normal every day people aren't exactly hot (ok, maybe I'm just speaking for myself).

However, when it comes to celebrities, looks are the number 1 priority. Simply put, if I'm gonna be staring at someone for 16 hours straight, they'd better be damned good looking.

But of course, this is assuming they can act. Looks mean absolutely nothing if they cannot convincingly portray the character they're playing. ie. Dennis O'Neil / Daniel Henney / Lee Hyori etc. are nothing more than eye candy.

User avatar
Aasya
Posts: 4
Joined: Aug 7th, '07, 20:21

Post by Aasya » Aug 16th, '07, 15:26

I'm usually like dramas that make you hate the second party guy. Because I tend to root for them. D: I rooted for Yul in Goong, Lee Minwoo in Nonstop 5(sitcom), and Junki in My Girl, etc. It was annoying but I couldn't help it.

I wastn't very pleased with the Over the Rainbow couple. I wanted her to go with Rex. D: 'Cause they were so funny and cute together.

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 780
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Aug 16th, '07, 15:39

Hyun Bin and that woman in Snow Queen. I'll never get over my severe dislike for Sung Yu Ri. Compared to her, he's off way better with fat, vulgar and not ladylike women.
Last edited by Néa Vanille on Aug 16th, '07, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
silently_solitude
Posts: 43
Joined: Feb 1st, '07, 21:54
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by silently_solitude » Aug 16th, '07, 15:49

eheh reading your comments were funny. I agree with with Kim sam soon thing, although the theme was older woman and younger guy, the actress should have been "more attractive." Look at "Dal Ja's Spring," same theme and good looking people, although the young guy actor was a newbie, I could at least finsih the drama. I couldn't get past episode one in Kim Sam Soon.

User avatar
Tyrea
Posts: 47
Joined: Aug 2nd, '07, 23:25

Post by Tyrea » Aug 16th, '07, 16:40

kobe23 wrote: The thing is in real life looks aren't that important when it comes to relationships because there are so many reasons to like someone besides their appearance, and let's face it, most normal every day people aren't exactly hot (ok, maybe I'm just speaking for myself).

However, when it comes to celebrities, looks are the number 1 priority. Simply put, if I'm gonna be staring at someone for 16 hours straight, they'd better be damned good looking.

But of course, this is assuming they can act. Looks mean absolutely nothing if they cannot convincingly portray the character they're playing. ie. Dennis O'Neil / Daniel Henney / Lee Hyori etc. are nothing more than eye candy.
well my point was, so many people agree on the looks thing, one can fall for someone in spite of someone not being state of the art in anything (perhaps even being quite the opposite), you'll end up liking even that. so if for once in a korean drama the character is exactly like that, and gets a hot guy, why so many people have to complain that he is too hot for her? mind you, it's not really so much about this thread but the mnikks thread(s) in general
on the other hand i havent really seen many people complaining about the full house or goong couples :P the guys were both super jerks most of the time, while the girls were nice, caring and gentle

as for the looks of the celebrities well i guess so...personally i couldnt care less if an actor is good looking or bad looking (it's personal preference anyway, i find bi/rain kinda ugly, daniel henney too), for 16 hours straight all i need is a fun/good story and fun/good characters

anyway this is OT so we should stop i think ^^;

User avatar
kobe23
Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 6th, '06, 23:19
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by kobe23 » Aug 17th, '07, 15:20

It is slightly OT, but we must NOT stop! :pirate:

You make some good points but in k-dramas there are many characters who have been "unglamorized" or "dumbed down" yet still have likable qualities. I have already mentioned a few examples in a previous post, but with Kim Sam Soon I couldn't find ONE thing to like about her. I did enjoy the series so I really wanted to like her but couldn't. Believe me, I tried. Very hard. This is just the way I personally felt about her, I'm not saying I'm right or anyone is wrong.

As for the looks thing in general, I totally respect your personal preference regarding that. I'm all for a good intricate plot with charismatic characters, but sadly, those have been few and far between, so there is a heavy reliance on a good looking cast to "carry" a drama. Especially during those draggy moments when the camera zooms right into the hero/heroines face for an eternity.

Just for the record and in case people think I'm shallow ( I am, but that's not the point :P), my favorite k-drama so far is Resurrection and there isn't anyone there I find particularly attractive. Maybe So Yi Hyun is, but I wouldn't exactly rank her up there with the prettiest Korean actresses.

But yeah....back on topic, hopefully :)

riceythu
Posts: 8
Joined: Nov 11th, '06, 17:16

Post by riceythu » Aug 19th, '07, 00:39

I really think that people saw Bin and KSA were't good together because everyone favored Bin cuz he is hot. xD But It's true the story was ment to be like that and Really, KSA is very pretty.. -_-;

MNIKSS is one of my favorites.. Sorry haters.

User avatar
crazypilovee
Posts: 63
Joined: Aug 15th, '07, 22:17

Post by crazypilovee » Aug 19th, '07, 01:19

i liked kim sam soon alot... she wasn't very pretty in there yeahh but that's the point of the drama.... i loved hyun bin's character cuz he was able to get past her imperfections-age, looks, unfeminineness-and like her still.

some ppl say the actress is pretty (cuz she had to gain weight for the role) but i saw her normal looks in she's on duty and i don't think she's very pretty.... i loved the movie thoughh and she's a good/funny actress haha.

User avatar
fizzlex3mh
Posts: 312
Joined: Feb 15th, '07, 01:11

Post by fizzlex3mh » Aug 19th, '07, 01:40

Hmm...ok I feel like this is going to turn into another MNIKSS thread, since people have kind of stopped talking about which K-drama couples they didn't like.

So in an attempt to get back on topic...

I'll say that I've watched 8 episodes of Resurrection, and so far, I don't like the main couple very much. It has nothing to do with me disliking the characters, just that the romance in the drama is pretty weak. So far. Han Ji Min and Uhm Tae Woong are both good actors, but they don't have chemistry, in my opinion. The mystery part of the drama is really interesting though. So I'm glad the drama doesn't just focus on their love story.
Currently watching: Women of the Sun || The Last Scandal of My Life

sachi2210
Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 12th, '07, 00:36

Post by sachi2210 » Aug 19th, '07, 01:55

With bad family, I couldn't even finish the drama because of the pairing of the two main people. I thought the age difference was gross, but hey, If the couple had been cute I wouldn't mind you know? But I thought they were awful with each other. All they did was fight and not like each other and just plain get on my already grossed out nerves. Perhaps I just needed to wait longer...?

StarlightDreams
Posts: 9
Joined: Apr 2nd, '07, 20:15
Location: Look behind you!

Post by StarlightDreams » Aug 19th, '07, 02:17

Hmm, I haven't come across many k-dramas with couples i didn't like because i usually picked what dramas to watch based on the plot and actors.
-I hated the pairing in Witch Yoo Hee, i didn't like it. I wanted Yoo Hee to end up with either Joon Ha or Johnny, i didn't like the other guy at all. I was going to stop watching it when the show started turning toward that pairing, but i continued anyway.
-I kind of half hated half liked goong's pairing. This time it was more based on looks. I loved the manhwa pairing of shin and chae gyeong, but in the drama i was rooting for Yul. I kind of wished someone else played the main couple.
-I hated the pairing in One Fine Day. It's not like i don't like the whole non related siblings couple, but i just didn't like this one. I was cheering for Ha Neul to go for Dong Ho because they seemed to me to look good together and have some chemistry. But for the brother character, he had a temper and at some times during the show, i thought he was going crazy, maybe it was just gong yoo acting a little too into the role.
-A lot of people are talking about MNIKSS, long title btw, I personally, even though I haven't watched it :P , think it's a weirdly put together couple. Just because she's an older woman, doesn't mean she should be vulgar and unladylike, there are many polite graceful and nice older woman out there.
- The couple in Over the Rainbow. I hated them. I wanted Sang Mi to end up with Rex, yeah he was a jerk in the beginning, but I felt that he was changing toward the ending. Her with hyeok-w/e his name is, seemed out of the blue for me because I felt that he was still in love w/ his ex. Plus Sang Mi seemed to be warming up to Rex.
Last edited by StarlightDreams on May 8th, '08, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
viet_kitty
Posts: 77
Joined: Feb 18th, '06, 00:29

Post by viet_kitty » Aug 19th, '07, 02:29

Worst...

Goong...please don't hurt me. They do look good
together, but it didn't look real. And the fact that
Yul didn't get the girl.



My fav couple would be My Girl. Hilarious! I hope they
do another movie together.

User avatar
crazypilovee
Posts: 63
Joined: Aug 15th, '07, 22:17

Post by crazypilovee » Aug 19th, '07, 09:41

haha i stopped watching bad family in like 3rd epi? i don't like the guy main character. he's like 20 yrs older than the grl isn't he? haha not too attractive..

yeahh i don't think with yoo hee had good pairings.. i wish kim jung hoon wasn't such an evil character in there ='[ cuz then her and him could've been perfect! johnny was really sweet. and the main guy treated his old gf too horribly... i mean u're living at another grl's house and hanging out w/ her and even hugging/kissing her and u still don't break up w/ ur gf and make her cry and deny there's anything going on when u know deep down u do like yoo hee!?!? she was too weak though.. i woulda just left at the first sign haha.


i think PERFECT kdrama couples are rare..... cuz i'd always like the second main grl/guy too hahaha. and the couple itself may not look grt together/have grt chemistry.

User avatar
kobe23
Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 6th, '06, 23:19
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by kobe23 » Aug 19th, '07, 15:34

Ok, my wife has explained some things to me and I think I understand the negativity towards the Bad Family pairing of Kim Myung Min and Nam Sang Mi. Basically when girls (esp. young ones) watch a drama they imagine themselves as the female lead and hope they end up with a young, good-looking and rich guy. I guess this is why 'Cinderella' type stories are very popular. In Bad Family however, the male lead is not young, he isn't very good looking and he doesn't even have any money! So I guess it's natural for female viewers to be "grossed out" by this pairing especially since the female lead could've chosen the hot, young and rich 'squid boy' instead :)

User avatar
Li-Mei
Posts: 61
Joined: Mar 4th, '06, 23:55

Post by Li-Mei » Aug 20th, '07, 03:21

I somewhat agree about the the Kim Sam Soon drama couple. I didn't like Hyun Bin's character, he was rude, spoiled, and annoying. Also selfish. I thought that Sam Soon would be fine single or with someone else.

Yoo Hee WAS better off....alone. No matter how much she's treated Moo Ryong better towards the end of the series, I just felt like she'll always use him as a servant or something.

Song Hye Kyo and Bi. Argh, don't chew me out for this, they're a cute couple, but the bad kissing scenes didn't convince me.

Se7en in Goong S and that other chick!!! (her name wasn't worth remembering) NO CHEMISTRY WHAT SO EVER. I felt more like a brotherly-sisterly thing going on. It was very awkward for me to watch them kiss. Even when he was with Park Shin Hye I just couldn't put the two into a couple category. I just felt like the female lead couldn't really act.

User avatar
Tyrea
Posts: 47
Joined: Aug 2nd, '07, 23:25

Post by Tyrea » Aug 22nd, '07, 13:11

kobe23 wrote:It is slightly OT, but we must NOT stop! :pirate:

You make some good points but in k-dramas there are many characters who have been "unglamorized" or "dumbed down" yet still have likable qualities. I have already mentioned a few examples in a previous post, but with Kim Sam Soon I couldn't find ONE thing to like about her. I did enjoy the series so I really wanted to like her but couldn't. Believe me, I tried. Very hard. This is just the way I personally felt about her, I'm not saying I'm right or anyone is wrong.
personal preference...maybe you tried too hard :D j/k
after reading your post about the bad family couple (havent seen it though so can't tell), and considering what i've said about full house/goong type of guys...i don't think i have anything to add ;P

btw lol @ the thing your wife said...i guess that girls tend to identify themselves with the heroine :)
kobe23 wrote:As for the looks thing in general, I totally respect your personal preference regarding that. I'm all for a good intricate plot with charismatic characters, but sadly, those have been few and far between, so there is a heavy reliance on a good looking cast to "carry" a drama. Especially during those draggy moments when the camera zooms right into the hero/heroines face for an eternity.
heh well sadly i have to agree...korean series rely heavily on looks/appearance, not just the actors but the scenery, clothes, everything. i watch mainly comedies and carefully chosen titles, so i can endure a few eps, but i don't want to even imagine what it must be like to watch those draggy cliche melodramas in which everyone cries every few scenes :roll

in order not to be completely OT...i thought about it and well i agree with those who didn't like the goong couple much. i liked the manhwa a lot so in my head the two of them had to end up together no matter what, but in the series yul was a better and more natural/realistic choice for her (in the manhwa i *really* disliked him though)

User avatar
fizzlex3mh
Posts: 312
Joined: Feb 15th, '07, 01:11

Post by fizzlex3mh » Aug 22nd, '07, 21:44

kobe23 wrote:Ok, my wife has explained some things to me and I think I understand the negativity towards the Bad Family pairing of Kim Myung Min and Nam Sang Mi. Basically when girls (esp. young ones) watch a drama they imagine themselves as the female lead and hope they end up with a young, good-looking and rich guy. I guess this is why 'Cinderella' type stories are very popular. In Bad Family however, the male lead is not young, he isn't very good looking and he doesn't even have any money! So I guess it's natural for female viewers to be "grossed out" by this pairing especially since the female lead could've chosen the hot, young and rich 'squid boy' instead :)
Your right in saying that Cinderella-type stories are popular, but I don't know if the reason is that the guy is young, good-looking, and rich. Of course I would hope to end up with a guy like that, who wouldn't? :lol . but when it comes to how much I like the main couple in a Kdrama, I just see if they have chemistry and/or look good together.

For me, the only reason the Bad Family couple turned me off was because of the age difference. It was just uncomfortable picturing them together and then as a married couple. The fact that he didn't have money really didn't matter - look at Cha Moohyuk in MiSa and Jang Chul Soo in Fantasy Couple. You might say I loved those two examples because both SJS and OJH are exceptionally good-looking. But I really don't think Kim Myung Min is ugly. He's not hot, but as long as the male lead has the personality to make up for his looks, I'm fine with him being with the female lead.
Currently watching: Women of the Sun || The Last Scandal of My Life

User avatar
kokoni
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 12th, '06, 10:36

Post by kokoni » Aug 24th, '07, 02:47

The couple in Cloud stairway! Horrible..

sponge_girl
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 26th, '05, 02:38

Post by sponge_girl » Aug 25th, '07, 06:10

ok don't shot me but here's my list. there were plenty of couples that annoyed me but when i really thought about, they were cute together.

*what's up fox?/foxy lady: i'll admit it, i do picture myself as the lead female. the fantasy of being with a younger guy is something i would have tried (i'm married) but the couple just did not look good together.

*emperor of the sea: i find some older guys attractive but the main guy looks to old to be the same age as the main actress. the other guy would have been better.

i disagree with some people here about My Name Is Kim Sam-Soon. i love the kim sam-soon character because it gets a little boring watching the miss innocent lead doing nothing when she gets harassed. heck, i saw a lot of myself in kim sam-soon (maybe worst, ask my hubby). girls rules, guys drool!!!

ackirom
Posts: 153
Joined: Jan 9th, '06, 02:39
Location: 90745

Post by ackirom » Sep 10th, '07, 06:54

In my opinion, the Kim Sam-soon couple wasn't the best pairing, out of the 5 k-dramas that I've seen. By themselves, both were good looking. But together... i don't know... it reminded me of Titanic, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet - they were just physically mismatched. (Of course, I'm aware that deep down inside, both couples were soulmates yadda yadda yadda)

User avatar
dethos
Posts: 36
Joined: Sep 1st, '07, 18:18
Location: PARIS

Post by dethos » Sep 10th, '07, 12:29

i vote :
what's up fox
get karl : the lead actress is very boring

User avatar
teemu8
Posts: 106
Joined: Aug 28th, '07, 16:21
Location: FRANCE

Post by teemu8 » Sep 10th, '07, 16:10

prince's first love couple is pretty bad ,only sung yu ri is cute ,the 2 male actors are pretty bad

and i vote for the vineyardn man couple :pale: and what's up fox

User avatar
maakopla
Posts: 299
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 14:15
Location: Finland

Post by maakopla » Sep 12th, '07, 08:21

sachi2210 wrote:With bad family, I couldn't even finish the drama because of the pairing of the two main people. I thought the age difference was gross, but hey, If the couple had been cute I wouldn't mind you know? But I thought they were awful with each other. All they did was fight and not like each other and just plain get on my already grossed out nerves. Perhaps I just needed to wait longer...?
I agree. I just couldn't see the chemistry, it was more like family feeling floating around... I liked that store guy more. He was even better looking too. lol.

Also in Attic Cat pairing was... dunno to me they were like brother and sister living together.

User avatar
Sphinxy
Posts: 30
Joined: Aug 17th, '07, 23:33
Location: Jersey, USA

Post by Sphinxy » Sep 13th, '07, 14:44

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, I agree with the pairing of Kim Samsoon... I mean- the drama was one I'll never forget-- the plot was very interesting. But, I just didn't agree with the pair too much. I loved the female lead-- she'll never be disliked by moi, neither the male lead-- but they dont have that... CLICK! ya know? But i sill liked the drama. Very much actually.
Image
Adore:DBY, WWL, CWL, AL, MG

User avatar
nozomimaekawa
Posts: 9
Joined: Apr 10th, '07, 00:46
Location: Panama,panama

Post by nozomimaekawa » Sep 14th, '07, 04:51

worst.

only you couple, i disliked both main charactors they were just so plane and without personality that they didn't seem human

autumns tale couple, o.O they were siblings and thats just weird

witch yoo hee couple, i just didn't see the chemastry and also jonny krugar was way hotter ^.^

Blurest
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 17th, '07, 05:25

Post by Blurest » Sep 17th, '07, 05:36

I also don't like Witch Yoo Hee's pairing as well, though now I haven't watched finished but was rather unhappy with what Moo Ryung does to his girlfriend and yet treat Yoo Hee much much better. So unfair.

User avatar
LocaBonita
Posts: 20
Joined: Aug 26th, '07, 17:00
Location: UAE

Post by LocaBonita » Sep 25th, '07, 09:55

WOrst .. Witch amusment .. They look bad together .. :scratch:

User avatar
kunornadia
Posts: 24
Joined: May 12th, '06, 04:25
Location: Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia

Post by kunornadia » Sep 29th, '07, 05:08

Couples I Dislike

Full House - Bi & SHK (He's too tall for her)
Summer Scent - SSH & I can't remember her name
My Girl - LDW & LDH (I don't think they are suitable for each other)
Autumn Tale - SSH & SHK (I prefered Won Bin with SHK)

User avatar
maakopla
Posts: 299
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 14:15
Location: Finland

Post by maakopla » May 9th, '08, 11:30

LocaBonita wrote:WOrst .. Witch amusment .. They look bad together .. :scratch:
I dunno about them looking bad together but I didn't feel chemistry between them at all. They were more like friends or even family members. Moo Ryong really seemed a lot younger than Yoo Hee. I also hate the fact he gave up his dream because of her <_< Maybe I'm just bitter because I really wanted her to end up with Johnny. Moo Ryong was too girly
Now watching:
Korean: Witch´s romance. Triangle, Big Man, Gourmet

arabian
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mar 29th, '06, 19:32

Post by arabian » May 9th, '08, 11:59

dethos wrote:i vote :
what's up fox
get karl : the lead actress is very boring
I agree with u for that reason I stopped watching the drama even that I really love OJH acting on Fantasy couple but not in this one.. :lol
Taking break for quite a long time.. :-)

User avatar
Biozombie
Posts: 89
Joined: Jun 28th, '11, 23:27
Location: England

Post by Biozombie » Nov 30th, '11, 17:11

Cinderella's Sister - It really didn't add up that the character of Moon Geun Young would fall for that middle-aged humourless arrogant boring loser. I actually wanted to throw things at my TV every time the cunt showed up.
Lucifer - It was a shock when they suddenly, out of the f*cking blue (in my best Chris Penn voice) paired up Shin Min Ah with that mannequin from your local Marks And Spencers that they cast as the bad guy. It was ridiculous.
I also find it a bit bizarre how some people are listing Song Hye Kyo and Song Seung Heon in Autumn In My Heart as they were siblings despite them having no blood relation at all and having not seen each other for over 10 years since they were children as they lived in different countries but then wanting her paired with a man who was a carbon copy of her real brother, ie, an aggressive, selfish, two-faced liar with a drink problem who hit her. Odd.

Silverman
Posts: 600
Joined: Mar 25th, '11, 22:10

Post by Silverman » Nov 30th, '11, 17:25

Biozombie wrote:Cinderella's Sister - It really didn't add up that the character of Moon Geun Young would fall for that middle-aged humourless arrogant boring loser. I actually wanted to throw things at my TV every time the cunt showed up.
lol he is 28 or 29 at that point, how does it make him middle-aged. That would make Hyun Bin, almost all of Super Junior, Ji Hyun Woo, Lee Jun Ki & co middle aged^^.

User avatar
Biozombie
Posts: 89
Joined: Jun 28th, '11, 23:27
Location: England

Post by Biozombie » Nov 30th, '11, 17:43

Silverman wrote:lol he is 28 or 29 at that point, how does it make him middle-aged. That would make Hyun Bin, almost all of Super Junior, Ji Hyun Woo, Lee Jun Ki & co middle aged^^.
Seriously? :O He looks about 44-45. When he first popped up, I thought he was playing Seo Woo's dad and would be the love interest for Lee Mi Sook. If that isn't a joke, he should stay off the crack, he is one old looking cunt.

Silverman
Posts: 600
Joined: Mar 25th, '11, 22:10

Post by Silverman » Nov 30th, '11, 17:48

He has the opposite problem than me. I'm 26 and I still have to show my ID in clubs^^.

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Nov 30th, '11, 17:59

Idiot Baek Dong Su and the wooden log ( the girl who he fell in love and ended up with even though there was no chemisty what do ever between them). It bothered me so much that it became my worst ever sageuk of all time.

I need Romance- main leads from chemistry point of view I can't say they had zero chemistry. But from story point of view, they were one of my worst couples in a kdrama.
Image

Silverman
Posts: 600
Joined: Mar 25th, '11, 22:10

Post by Silverman » Dec 1st, '11, 17:57

For me its the Romance Town couple. The actors are ok, but the characters are just...i don't know. At first the male lead ignores her and if he doesn't ignore her, then he insults her (so far nothing extraordinary, same thing as in other dramas). As soon as he sees her dolled up, he is all over her, but still insults her in her "normal" life. At this point, if it were me, i would dump him, because he is really shallow. After he finds out that his love interest and the housemaid are one and the same person, he is in rage and she behave like a beaten and spineless dog and begs for mercy. This whole thing is just disgusting. Does this woman have absolutely no pride? In other dramas, even if the guy is a jerk, so he helps and supports the female lead, so you can at least imagine, that they fall in love. But here there is nothing...even no sexual attraction.

Sakari
Posts: 147
Joined: Jan 24th, '06, 09:20

Post by Sakari » Dec 6th, '11, 20:44

For me, the worst KDrama couple would be Yoona (Girls Generation) and Park Jae-jeong in You Are My Destiny (KBS 2008). From what I have seen of Yoona, she is a pretty and charming and nice girl. But in the drama, she was supposed to be in love with someone (PJJ), and I just saw no sign of it. I mean, she did not even seem to be comfortable with PJJ''s presence, let alone crave it like someone in love should.

Perhaps it is the 10-.year age difference? But next, she was cast with Kwon Sang-woo in Cinderella Man, and KSW is even older than PJJ. I gave up on that latter drama even before the first episode.

Silverman
Posts: 600
Joined: Mar 25th, '11, 22:10

Post by Silverman » Dec 19th, '11, 02:56

The problem with some korean idols, that they are rather unexperienced in dating and acting. Yes a lot of them dated secretly, but cmon they are idols with schedules, which don't allow too much datingtime. They don't even have time for visiting their parents...

Agedifference...hmm i think in rl its a much smaller problem, than in in dramas. I for my part don't think that age matters. At least to a certain degree. A 20 y old and a 50 y old is too extreme for me. But 0-10 is ok. And i don't differentiate between man and women, like in most kdramas. There is shown, that a 36 y old guy dating a 25 y old is ok(in my books is also ok), but a 33 y old woman dating a 28 y old man is cradle robbery (here i think thats also ok if they date or marry).
Hey in rl i've seen so many wtf-couples (based on age). For example. My lil sis has a classmate, who is 16 y old and she dates an ahjusshi like me(26y). The problem for me is not, that there is 10 y age gap, but 16 y old girl is a child.26 and 36 on the other hand is ok.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests