Things I've Noticed from KDramas

Discuss Korean drama series here.
User avatar
333free
Posts: 25
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 10:25

Post by 333free » Jul 23rd, '08, 12:30

The token caucasian - will pop up in an episode to make the character look good, as the character mangles their way
through an English conversation, even though the character has spent time studying or running a business overseas.
Another variation is the scandinavian adornment, the guys is so succesfull/powerfull that he's has a blonde wife/girlfriend.

The near miss - I guess the series would have to finish a couple of episodes earlier if it was'nt for characters narrowly missing
each other.

The 5 mph car sequence - characters talking inside the vehicle as grannies with zimmer frames overtake them.

Getting caught in the rain - to share or better still offer up an umbrella.

The piggyback - the take home drunk or medical emergency.

To overhear a conversation - this one really gets me, as the person overhearing the conversation is trying to stay out of view,
even though they are only about 20 foot away, half hidden behind a tree or bush. There's no way with their head poking out that
they would'nt be seen. sometimes its quite a farce, probably due to restrictions on the set that they're behind a glass door or even
walking up to the pair's conversation.
The only way this really works is when the evesdropper is out of sight. i.e. Around a corner.

Korean actors need to - SHOUT. Maybe if the plot line hasn't progressed much in the last 10 minutes, lets wake up the viewers.

Korean actors need to - cry, seems to happen practically every episode.

The presentation - When giving a sales pitch, its always a good idea to stand in front of the projector and obscure the screen.

The 2/3's rule - we're nearing the end of the series, we need to keep our audience. Lets kill of one of the cast, usually an elderly member.

The Doh!! factor - the character does something that you just know is going to cause trouble later. Such as sitting on a problem or
not telling someone your true feelings or intentions.

Instant night to day - nightime scenes can become daytime in an instant and vice versa.

Continuity - things are not picked up but appear when needed, money, train or plane tickets.

Taxi drivers - rarely get paid.

Cherry blossom - only falls in the foreground.

Why bother the police! - so you got stabbed, take it like a man.

Also it looks like the PC brigade and H&S has'nt reached Korea yet.
Well, they're just the things I've noticed. Sorry if I've duplicated earlier postings.

ps. I cant help but stare at the glasses as well.

User avatar
Morphin
Posts: 39
Joined: Nov 18th, '07, 14:58
Location: Bordeaux, France

Post by Morphin » Jul 23rd, '08, 17:04

dunno if it was said before but :
- Invisible char : if i am at least 1m of you, you can't see me :p
- No voice messages on cellphone : the cellphone can ring many hours if the owner don't answer or not remove the battery
- easy to turn off cellphone : It's easiest to remove the battery than just turn off the cellphone i think :p
- makeup ? : When the female lead is poor, if she start to use makeup, everybody see the difference... but dammit she is always using makeup since the start of the series... i never saw an actress not using makeup in kdrama :p

and like someone said before : yeah it's funny they never change cloth to sleep.
But it seems that they have high-tech bed that can iron any cloth :p

rainbowtonight
Posts: 16
Joined: Jun 16th, '06, 07:00

Post by rainbowtonight » Aug 6th, '08, 14:59

Do Korean often shout when they talk to each other in real life? The men shout the women shout everybody shouts in Kdramas.
And when the girl is so heartbreaking that she bursts into tears but there's one thing she never forgets to do: With her tears running down nonstop and we can see clearly that her heart aches too but yeah, she still has the mood & force to YELL & QUESTION the guy.

User avatar
harliey_nick
Posts: 129
Joined: Oct 5th, '05, 18:32

Post by harliey_nick » Aug 16th, '08, 11:26

some comments are quite insulting i think....if guys don't like these scenes n plots then why bother watching asian/k-dramas?things like the gf calling the bf 'oppa' is cultural not point to annoy other non-koreans viewers...i live in auckland n it's like mini korea here (that means there are like loads of koreans here) n some of my close friends are koreans (kiwi koreans) so i know that what's in the drama is straight from real life (though most of my korean friends speak kiwi-accented english)....the point of watching is entertainment...if the drama is so closely related to real life (eg average ppl,average looking all average all happy whatever 'real life' is supposed to be) then what's the point of drama?just sit out at the side of the street n watch real ppl in real time....but then again lots of comments are true...dying/death/cry/illness theme is quite common in these k-dramas...hehehe...they're alright i guess but i usually tend to steer clear of tear-jerkers...dramas like my girl,my name is kim sam soo n lovers are fun n touching at the same time so they are the best kind to me....so...give the k-dramas some break...they are meant to be like what they're supposed to be...

Melancholy19
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 30th, '08, 03:54

Post by Melancholy19 » Aug 24th, '08, 18:54

i noticed there are a lot of korean dramas for older actors/actress. The young actors are always the young siblings, side characters, or younger version of the older actors. i don't see a lot of korean teen dramas with teen actors playing major character which i really do want to see because i'm sure there are some really great young korean actors out there ready to star in some teen dramas.

asdfghj
Posts: 19
Joined: Feb 22nd, '08, 18:48

Post by asdfghj » Aug 29th, '08, 16:15

in all theirdramas they have to say " this is a scene from a drama"....they jus have to mention it....and dnt get me wrong but why dnt they guys shave their armpits?....is it cultural o?...hope no one gets me wrong am jus wonderin......

garnet07
Posts: 534
Joined: May 4th, '04, 04:18
Location: Cali, USA
Contact:

Post by garnet07 » Jun 6th, '09, 07:04

I don't know if this has been said, but I've been noticing that whenever someone is in deep trouble, he or she always travels to the Philippines to escape from the police or loansharks. I find this funny and sad ... why Philippines of all places .. it's like saying it's a country full of escapees.

I am born in the Philippines, but came to the US when I was 9 .. but this is kind of :glare:
Image
Waiting:
J: WatashiGaRenaiDekinaiRiyuu, HimitsuErika, NankyokuTairiku, KaseifuNoMita, NazotokiDinner
K: TreeWithDeepRoots, FlowerShop, Me2Flower
C: InTimeWithYou

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Jun 6th, '09, 22:05

^ Maybe there is a prisoner exchange program? :P

Does anyone think that lead actresses of many kdramas (particularly this year) are rather ordinary looking (though good figure) and reasonably charismatic? Leading guys tend to be good looking though.

You'd think that looking at the kpop world (where there is good balance) there would be prettier girls leading...
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sep 30th, '04, 03:08
Location: Germany

Post by WroW » Jun 6th, '09, 22:27

auroragb wrote:^ Maybe there is a prisoner exchange program? :P

Does anyone think that lead actresses of many kdramas (particularly this year) are rather ordinary looking (though good figure) and reasonably charismatic? Leading guys tend to be good looking though.

You'd think that looking at the kpop world (where there is good balance) there would be prettier girls leading...
Sure you have watched any kdramas 2009 :mrgreen: ...because my hormon level is pretty satisfied with 2009 girls in kdramas (as with 2008..2007...2006...you get the picture) ...but well tastes are different :roll

ushiroyubi
Posts: 10
Joined: Dec 20th, '04, 02:58

Post by ushiroyubi » Jun 7th, '09, 00:42

how about the random "boom mic" hanging from the sky in at least 1 scene in every other kdrama?

they should just let it drop at least once and hit one of the main characters in the head and start the whole "amnesia" plot just to get it out of the way.

tkah
Posts: 69
Joined: Nov 10th, '08, 16:56
Location: Canada

Post by tkah » Jun 7th, '09, 02:17

LMAO. I have noticed all of what everyone is saying. I guess what annoys me is when someone runs after a bus (like you could ever catch up). Or how they make the main female lead a little too pathetic/weak in all the romance type dramas. I think thats why I tend to prefer the murder/mystery type kdramas better.

TofuQueen
Posts: 105
Joined: Nov 1st, '06, 02:28
Location: Idaho, USA

Post by TofuQueen » Jun 7th, '09, 05:21

Puppet Princess wrote:
Shindo Hikaru wrote:i first noticed that in some k drama's, spring waltx and 9 ends 2 out, they use fake glasses. When i first noticed it i cracked up laughing and now i can't help staring at the glasses to determine if it's fake or not.
That's a entertainment industry thing in general. Every country uses fake glasses when the character is supposed to wear them. Often, even when the actors DOES wear glasses in real life, they make them wear contacts and the glasses are still fake.
I mean you can't be making the actors blind by making them wear prescription glasses when they don't need them.
Actually there's an even simpler explanation; it's to prevent glare from the lenses.

They could quite easily just use flat glass (no vision correction) but then with all the lights there would almost certainly be glare & reflections, so they just use empty frames. I've noticed it too & it makes me giggle but doesn't really bother me (though when the character is supposed to have REALLY bad eyes and the glasses are sitting on a table or something and it's obvious that they're empty frames because there's no distortion at all of the book/whatever behind them...it seems a bit careless...).

Great thread, btw. Lots of stuff I've noticed plus other things I hadn't but now that I think about it they're sooooo true! :P

shinorei
Posts: 18
Joined: May 30th, '06, 03:45

Post by shinorei » Jun 10th, '09, 14:01

-when they cry, a tear will only fall from one eye first before it drops from the other eye.. it's kinda funny since i dont think that is actually possible XDDD

-guy and girl always shout at each other. lots of shouting. i'm not surprised if their highest death reason is high-blood pressure xD

-they always like to misunderstand each other.

-and they like to keep things secret so they don't know what's going and continue to accuse each other.

User avatar
johnjeon
Posts: 64
Joined: Jun 15th, '04, 18:23
Location: NJ

Post by johnjeon » Jun 10th, '09, 16:54

shinorei wrote:
-and they like to keep things secret so they don't know what's going and continue to accuse each other.
Oh yeah, this really drives me crazy. The characters are always either lying or withholding information for no good reason other than to create some dramatic tension and drag
out the story. eg. Parents never tell a child that they were adopted until they are fully grown and circumstances force a confession.

User avatar
hafizadam
Posts: 130
Joined: Mar 29th, '07, 22:40
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Contact:

Post by hafizadam » Jun 10th, '09, 17:02

someone mentioned singing on the cellphone?
Image

xk
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 27th, '08, 06:05

Post by xk » Jun 11th, '09, 13:08

You guys forgot another thing...

All Korean dramas show rich people, I mean super-rich, but drive cars like Infiniti G35 or G37. This car is nothing special and is not expensive. Why don't they show cars like Rolls Royce, Bentley Continental GT, Mercedes S500 AMG, or SLR, or some exotic cars like Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari 599GTB, Pagani Zonda, Koenigsegg CCX-R, Bugatti Veyron 16-4, porsche carrera gt, or Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4, or any other supercar that costs over 1 million dollars?? They show filthy rich people and yet they never show really expensive supercars or super luxury cars. Every Korean dramas I have seen these days show Infiniti G37 or FX35 or 50. They show cars from the same make, like as if they brought a whole fleet of it.


Another thing, they cover up the badge on the front and back of the car. It's getting really annoying.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sep 30th, '04, 03:08
Location: Germany

Post by WroW » Jun 11th, '09, 13:20

xk wrote:You guys forgot another thing...

All Korean dramas show rich people, I mean super-rich, but drive cars like Infiniti G35 or G37. This car is nothing special and is not expensive. Why don't they show cars like Rolls Royce, Bentley Continental GT, Mercedes S500 AMG, or SLR, or some exotic cars like Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari 599GTB, Pagani Zonda, Koenigsegg CCX-R, Bugatti Veyron 16-4, porsche carrera gt, or Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4, or any other supercar that costs over 1 million dollars?? They show filthy rich people and yet they never show really expensive supercars or super luxury cars. Every Korean dramas I have seen these days show Infiniti G37 or FX35 or 50. They show cars from the same make, like as if they brought a whole fleet of it.


Another thing, they cover up the badge on the front and back of the car. It's getting really annoying.
Because even most rich people don't drive cars like that, its usually only posers :roll . Most richer business people I have met (or CEOs I havent met but know their cars) don't drive more than S-class or 7 series. But seriously I think they get those cars sponsored because usually they only drive 1 brand in every drama (even though they have to black out the brand sign).

User avatar
atskv9
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 6th, '07, 00:09

Post by atskv9 » Jun 11th, '09, 21:22

xk, I haven't seen too many kdramas but enough to definitely know what you're talking about and got pissed about it :lol Watching BOF, they are supposed to be extravagantly rich but instead are driving around Cadillac's and Lotus Elise's(Exige?), which are not expensive at all. However to drive around all those supercars, I'm sure the production costs would go way up which many drama budgets cannot handle.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sep 30th, '04, 03:08
Location: Germany

Post by WroW » Jun 11th, '09, 21:28

atskv9 wrote:xk, I haven't seen too many kdramas but enough to definitely know what you're talking about and got pissed about it :lol Watching BOF, they are supposed to be extravagantly rich but instead are driving around Cadillac's and Lotus Elise's(Exige?), which are not expensive at all. However to drive around all those supercars, I'm sure the production costs would go way up which many drama budgets cannot handle.
Well in BOF there also was a Ferrari and the cars I mentioned before (7series and s-class and a BMW X6 ...all in the 60 000-120 000+ range). So agan thats what most rich people drive. And no there production costs won't go up because no one actually pays for those cars.

xk
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 27th, '08, 06:05

Post by xk » Jun 11th, '09, 21:59

WroW wrote:
xk wrote:You guys forgot another thing...

All Korean dramas show rich people, I mean super-rich, but drive cars like Infiniti G35 or G37. This car is nothing special and is not expensive. Why don't they show cars like Rolls Royce, Bentley Continental GT, Mercedes S500 AMG, or SLR, or some exotic cars like Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari 599GTB, Pagani Zonda, Koenigsegg CCX-R, Bugatti Veyron 16-4, porsche carrera gt, or Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4, or any other supercar that costs over 1 million dollars?? They show filthy rich people and yet they never show really expensive supercars or super luxury cars. Every Korean dramas I have seen these days show Infiniti G37 or FX35 or 50. They show cars from the same make, like as if they brought a whole fleet of it.


Another thing, they cover up the badge on the front and back of the car. It's getting really annoying.
Because even most rich people don't drive cars like that, its usually only posers :roll . Most richer business people I have met (or CEOs I havent met but know their cars) don't drive more than S-class or 7 series. But seriously I think they get those cars sponsored because usually they only drive 1 brand in every drama (even though they have to black out the brand sign).
Even those who claim or those you think they are rich may not be really rich. Maybe they have a lot of bills to pay and broke. Those rich business people you met are probably not in the super-rich class, just a little above middle class or something. Stop talking like you associate with super rich people cause you don't.....

Anyways, being a super-rich and driving an Infiniti G37 is just look plain ridiculous. Hell, I own a nicer car than that, and more expensive. Infiniti G37 is nothing special, it's just an average sporty-car here in the states, nothing more. Maybe at least get a damn Nissan GTR or something.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sep 30th, '04, 03:08
Location: Germany

Post by WroW » Jun 11th, '09, 22:27

xk wrote:
WroW wrote:
xk wrote:You guys forgot another thing...

All Korean dramas show rich people, I mean super-rich, but drive cars like Infiniti G35 or G37. This car is nothing special and is not expensive. Why don't they show cars like Rolls Royce, Bentley Continental GT, Mercedes S500 AMG, or SLR, or some exotic cars like Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari 599GTB, Pagani Zonda, Koenigsegg CCX-R, Bugatti Veyron 16-4, porsche carrera gt, or Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4, or any other supercar that costs over 1 million dollars?? They show filthy rich people and yet they never show really expensive supercars or super luxury cars. Every Korean dramas I have seen these days show Infiniti G37 or FX35 or 50. They show cars from the same make, like as if they brought a whole fleet of it.


Another thing, they cover up the badge on the front and back of the car. It's getting really annoying.
Because even most rich people don't drive cars like that, its usually only posers :roll . Most richer business people I have met (or CEOs I havent met but know their cars) don't drive more than S-class or 7 series. But seriously I think they get those cars sponsored because usually they only drive 1 brand in every drama (even though they have to black out the brand sign).
Even those who claim or those you think they are rich may not be really rich. Maybe they have a lot of bills to pay and broke. Those rich business people you met are probably not in the super-rich class, just a little above middle class or something. Stop talking like you associate with super rich people cause you don't.....

Anyways, being a super-rich and driving an Infiniti G37 is just look plain ridiculous. Hell, I own a nicer car than that, and more expensive. Infiniti G37 is nothing special, it's just an average sporty-car here in the states, nothing more. Maybe at least get a damn Nissan GTR or something.
Did I say I know all those people personally?? No I didn't..but even when if you work as an intern in a company you see the CEO, even if you dont talk to him...and you defeniitly see his car if you keep your eyes open. You don't even need to work there...they also go out to the city and you actually see them with their cars...imagine that.
And the funny thing is the pimps in our city (officially club owners but well you get the picture) drive a lot of nicer cars than business people.

xk
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 27th, '08, 06:05

Post by xk » Jun 13th, '09, 13:20

and why do they keep removing the front seat passenger side headrest???? it's really annoying. Keep the damn headrest on!!!

User avatar
ringosan
Posts: 67
Joined: Mar 20th, '06, 18:33

Post by ringosan » Jul 20th, '09, 08:05

xk wrote:and why do they keep removing the front seat passenger side headrest???? it's really annoying. Keep the damn headrest on!!!
yeah ure right.its obviously showing that they are acting(of course acting) but arent they suppose to make like its real..normal car wont take off the front seat headrest..it will look weird and incomplete..expensive car without the front seat passenger side headrest... :lol
Image++Image

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1438
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 20th, '09, 08:23

ringosan wrote:
xk wrote:and why do they keep removing the front seat passenger side headrest???? it's really annoying. Keep the damn headrest on!!!
yeah ure right.its obviously showing that they are acting(of course acting) but arent they suppose to make like its real..normal car wont take off the front seat headrest..it will look weird and incomplete..expensive car without the front seat passenger side headrest... :lol
Because it's easier much easier to get the actors' heads in the shot while they're sitting in the back seat. That much should be obvious.

If we're concerned about 'realism', shouldn't we start wondering how many of the uber-rich company heads' kids there are who have that super-moral Prince Charming thing going on who chance upon some poor little girl who just happens to overcome broken homes, orphanages, monsoons, cancer, special-needs siblings, global warming, hangnails, athlete's foot, and head lice to strive ever-upward for their dreams while maintaining an innocent, child-like naivete and a heart of gold?

I wanna see that drama where the poor girl gets seduced by the riches of her shallow, womanizing rich boyfriend and says, "to hell with this true love stuff, I'm gonna go buy a yacht and get ****-faced on Cristal for the next 2 decades while having 2 or 3 spoiled-brat good-for-nothing kids to continue my newfound decadence for the next 40 or 50 years. "

Now THAT would be a realistic drama. Bet they'd even leave on the headrests. Or not...
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

xk
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 27th, '08, 06:05

Post by xk » Jul 20th, '09, 17:29

aNToK wrote:
ringosan wrote:
xk wrote:and why do they keep removing the front seat passenger side headrest???? it's really annoying. Keep the damn headrest on!!!
yeah ure right.its obviously showing that they are acting(of course acting) but arent they suppose to make like its real..normal car wont take off the front seat headrest..it will look weird and incomplete..expensive car without the front seat passenger side headrest... :lol
Because it's easier much easier to get the actors' heads in the shot while they're sitting in the back seat. That much should be obvious.
we know that, son. But it just doesn't look right when you do that on new model Infiniti cars Korea keep importing.. they must be absolutely crazy about Infiniti cars.... I find that stupid. Infiniti IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!! LOL this is no supercar but somehow Koreans think it is. Anyways, if you watch American film or some european stuff you don't see them removing the headrest from the front passenger seat. This is why I think Korea still falls behind in terms of fashion and technology... ha ha ha lmao.

:alcoholic:

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1438
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 20th, '09, 17:52

xk, feel free to piss off any time. Your wannabe "I'm better than you, I'm smarter than you" in pretty much every thread is getting old. Nobody cares about your opinions on which car, TV, or whatever are cool, and you don't set the trend, create the fashion, or any of the other "Look at me, I'm cool and hip" crap you dribble off your keyboard.

Here's a challenge: Find me a thread or two where your posts didn't quickly devolve into you ragging on someone's taste or choices and/or you weren't trying to make yourself look better than that sorry little reflection in your mirror. Go for it.
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

xk
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 27th, '08, 06:05

another..

Post by xk » Jul 20th, '09, 17:54

another thing I don't like about K-dramas is that they show actors/actresses shoving a handfull of food in their mouth when having a meal. Is it really necessary to put so much food in your mouth? what's worse is that they talk while eating so you can see pieces of rice flying out their mouth.. I find it disgusting... I rarely see actors do that on Japanese TV dramas. If Korea wants to be known in public they need to work on eating manners... :cheers:

xk
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 27th, '08, 06:05

Post by xk » Jul 20th, '09, 18:02

aNToK wrote:xk, feel free to piss off any time. Your wannabe "I'm better than you, I'm smarter than you" in pretty much every thread is getting old. Nobody cares about your opinions on which car, TV, or whatever are cool, and you don't set the trend, create the fashion, or any of the other "Look at me, I'm cool and hip" crap you dribble off your keyboard.

Here's a challenge: Find me a thread or two where your posts didn't quickly devolve into you ragging on someone's taste or choices and/or you weren't trying to make yourself look better than that sorry little reflection in your mirror. Go for it.
First of all, when did I show "I'm better than you" attitude? I don't remember saying like that in public... you did sent me the private messages and YOU started off with this "I'm better than you" attitude, remember?? So I replied back and then you got all pissed and insulted me? That message you sent was full of insults. It just shows you what kind class you are. Just relax and try to acting like an adult.. let go of things that aren't necessary to talk about. You are definitely young... probably a teenager. Grow up. :roll



.

xk
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 27th, '08, 06:05

Post by xk » Jul 20th, '09, 18:29

Rule #1: Don't put too much food in your mouth.
Rule #2: Don't talk while eating.
Rule #3: Don't eat live fish or squid or octopus..
I mean i guess it's not as bad as Chinese easting monkey brains... but anyways, Japanese and Americans don't do such thing.
Rule #4: Leave the damn headrest in the front passenger seat alone...
Rule #5: DON'T COVER UP THE DAMN BADGE ON THE FRONT AND REAR OF THE CAR. YOU REALLY GOTTA STOP WITH THIS SH#T.....
Rule #6: Shorten the mini-series episodes to 8 or 10..not 20 or 28. I've been watching Shining Inheritance and it's dragging wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long. This drama should have been cut down to 8 episodes.
Rule #8: If you wanna show filthy rich people then show us some real expensive cars like Bentley or top-of-the-line Mercedes or some Bugatti or Koenigsegg or something. I'm so sick of watching Infiniti cars as I see them all the time in the streets.
Rule #9: I haven't come up with ideas yet.. I'll let you know once i come up with something...


.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1438
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 20th, '09, 18:34

Yep, full of insults, and you deserve every one of them. As far as "class," you appear to be the one who would pigeonhole people into those categories with your strange and narrow little set of values, so your thoughts on my class or stature are meaningless.

Though I will take exception to your comment that I started the "I"m smarter than you" thing. Your
Now stop acting smart and try to preach me cause I'm all over your head.
comment with regard to encoding got that little ball rolling.

Bottom line, if you're going to rag on other members, act like a **** little twit, etc. then expect to be responded to in a less than polite fashion.

And feel free to continue referring to me as a kid. Rude and direct I may be, but the one acting like a wannabe high-class spoiled brat is right there in your mirror....
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

xk
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 27th, '08, 06:05

Post by xk » Jul 20th, '09, 18:40

The only thing I like about Korean TV dramas is that there are lots of pretty girls to look at. They are prettier than Japanese.. Korean broadcasts need to start airing some rated R stuff, like more violence and sex.

Oh and i forgot to mention... it's got great PQ. They are almost always better than J-dramas.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1438
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 20th, '09, 18:43

I have to say, it's kind of funny seeing what drives people nuts while watching shows.

It used to be "microphone head" and other technical gaffes, along with the inevitable memory loss, cancer, or other deadly disease. Progress....
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sep 30th, '04, 03:08
Location: Germany

Post by WroW » Jul 20th, '09, 18:44

xk wrote:The only thing I like about Korean TV dramas is that there are lots of pretty girls to look at. They are prettier than Japanese.. Korean broadcasts need to start airing some rated R stuff, like more violence and sex.

Oh and i forgot to mention... it's got great PQ. They are almost always better than J-dramas.
Korean movies have enough R rated stuff. When they even blurr out knives from Kdramas than naked girls are still far away from tv landscape :roll

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1438
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 20th, '09, 18:49

I don't think I even saw an on-screen kiss my first few Kdramas.
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

xk
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 27th, '08, 06:05

Post by xk » Jul 21st, '09, 12:36

WroW wrote:
xk wrote:The only thing I like about Korean TV dramas is that there are lots of pretty girls to look at. They are prettier than Japanese.. Korean broadcasts need to start airing some rated R stuff, like more violence and sex.

Oh and i forgot to mention... it's got great PQ. They are almost always better than J-dramas.
Korean movies have enough R rated stuff. When they even blurr out knives from Kdramas than naked girls are still far away from tv landscape :roll
well for movies sure.. and when it comes to x-rated, American stuff is much better..

yea no naked girls yet... K-dramas has a lot to improve.. however there's one I'm quite impressed with, a recent drama called "Triple". You might wanna watch that. It's about a young figure skater (18 year old) seduces herself to her 35 year old step-bro.. he couldn't resist her pretty face and her attractive body and ends up falling for her. There's some kissing and touching involved. You've gotta watch the kissing scene... And boy is she attractive.. :mrgreen: MBC makes some good stuff unlike KBS or SBS. This is probably one of the best k-dramas I've seen yet.... also it's got some killer soundtracks.

gaoban
Posts: 3
Joined: Jul 8th, '09, 03:50

Re: another..

Post by gaoban » Jul 22nd, '09, 19:06

xk wrote:another thing I don't like about K-dramas is that they show actors/actresses shoving a handfull of food in their mouth when having a meal. Is it really necessary to put so much food in your mouth? what's worse is that they talk while eating so you can see pieces of rice flying out their mouth.. I find it disgusting... I rarely see actors do that on Japanese TV dramas. If Korea wants to be known in public they need to work on eating manners... :cheers:
Lol so true. I never understood it either why they shove a handful while eating and worse, keep shoving if say they're having a serious conversation. Koreans prolly don't do that in real life...I hope.

asaboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: May 29th, '08, 05:30

Post by asaboy23 » Jul 27th, '09, 17:43

they all speak korean language

NoRefund
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 1st, '06, 03:23

Post by NoRefund » Aug 1st, '09, 00:53

haha i read the first few pages so i dont know if this came up or not but also the last episode or 2 one of the leads ALWAYS goes abroad and comes back moments before the last moments of the final eps :P

i was laughing so hard at these posts my friends thought something went wrong haha ^^

User avatar
nokchan
Posts: 36
Joined: Sep 9th, '07, 14:54
Location: middle of nowhere

Post by nokchan » Oct 19th, '09, 14:06

I took the liberty of putting together all the things you said. I will call this

60 things to survive in your own drama (if you don't die from leukemia)

1. If you are a rich-and-handsome-manager/director/billionair-son-guy, do not invest to much time, money or emotions in your also rich girlfriend. She will inevitably psycho-out as soon as you (and you will) semi-dump her for you poor but sassy new love interest.

2. If you are poor but sassy girl love interest please be aware that you cannot be friends with guys. They WILL fall in love with you and try to screw you and your rich-and-handsome-manager/director/billionair-son-guy over in the hopes that being a rat is so attractive that you fall in love with him. He may also join forces with your boyfriends ex!

3. If you're male you will wear glasses in two to three years. That is probably the reason that you find your lost love. Finally periphal vision.

4. The parents of your rich-and-handsome-manager/director/billionair-son-guy will disapprove of you. Then they will offer you money to buy out of the relationship which you will say no to, with a teary-eyed explanation that the love of your man is so much more worth then any money they could give you.

5. If you are poor and can't afford a car then you should use cabs. They are free!

6. While you probably use your cell phone for 75 % of your communication during the show you do not have to call your love interest if you find out that everything was a misunderstanding. They will have taken out the battery anyways.

7. If you faint, bleed from your nose, mention more then once that you feel weary of sniffel in a hanky YOU WILL DIE. Probably of leukemia. If you have an accident and have to stay in hospital overnight YOU WILL DIE! If you are happy, and your love interest is happy and everybody of your friends and family is happy YOU WILL DIE! Oh what the heck, if you are in a melodram YOU WILL DIE. Period. Live with it (pun intended)!

8. If you finally about to kiss your love interest it is very important to look like you're awkward and a little disgusted. They are only two ways to look like kissing is actually a nice thing to do. EITHER you are already married ( Goong) OR you name is Bi/Rain (A love to kill).

9. If you and your love interest are not as close as siblings from the age of two you will hate each other at first. Then without a reason one of them (the woman) will feel sparks and fall in love. While doing so you will get huge bambie eyes which will distract you love interest from b*tching for about 5 seconds. Enough to make him fall for you!

10. Don't go out in the rain. Even if you only get slighty wet you will get sick. And if you get sick YOU WILL DIE! From leukemia!

11. If you happen do be the male love interest you will be an amazing fighter, closed pianist and secret genius.

12. If you are the female love interest most of the time you can't do anything right. But you're heart is big and that makes you appealing.

13. Wheter 13 or 30, if you parents are upset (especially the cruel or comical parents) will beat you into oblivion with whatever they can grab first!

14. Whatever happens, you will NOT defend yourself. Either because you are too shocked or too proud. And you will not b*tchsmack the evil-doer even though they will tell you that they screwed with you.

15. You do not need a blood test to find out whether your brother is really related to:

Related to you: Arrogant, married, a thug or gay. Mostly not handsome
Not related: Handsome, will do everything for you, jokes that he kinda likes you
If you are not related he WILL be in love with you!

16. If you do not happen to DIE in a car accident you will be in a coma for at least three days and after a dangerous night wake up without you memory. But that is fine because either you do not want to remember or you will fall in love, plan to get married and then hit your head again just so you can forget the last couple of month but regain you original memory.

17. You can be (filthy) rich. You can be dirt poor. You cannot be a normal person. EVER!

18. At one point the person that is unhappily in love with you will solemly vow that they will take you away from your love interst and that they will prove to you that they are the only one that can make you happy. Of course they don't. They only prove that they are slightly delusional (if they are a guy) or slighty suicidal and very very weepy (if they are a girl).

19. If you have a problem you will try to drown that little buggers in soju. Of course that doesn't work. If you a girl you will pass out and probably be found be the guy that should not be in love with you but is anyway.

20. Your love interest will buy you a cellphone so you can take out the battery later.

21. If a situation is not desperate enough to allow alcohol abuse you will punch the air and yell: AJA!! FIGHTING!!

22. When your love interest leaves (and believe me … he will!) you will rush to the airport to catch them. But because you are not wearing glasses yet, you will not see them standing next to you and inevitably miss them.

23. When you leave you love interest (and believe… you will) you will sit miserable at the airport, far to occupied with fretting about how much you life sucks, so you will not hear your love interest who stands behind you yelling your name with broken sobs. (Then again. Maybe you not sure if it is your love interest who is yelling, since that is obviously the only way how you can find you lost love in an airport. And as common that is… there must always be quite the commotion)

24. If you are unfortuante enough to be the love interest in a historical drama you will either (as guy) be forced to give up your sweetheart to fight for the goodness of the country or (when you are a girl) you will not be good enough for your love but a person even higher in rank then your beloved will offer to hold you and marry you and take care of you. We all know how well that ends (see Nr. 18).

25. Do not, under no circumstances have an engagement party. Best thing is to cut the whole engagement thing at all and get married right away. Because if you engage to marry you will not. Either somebody screws you over or YOU WILL DIE! From leukemia!

26. For a long time they was the love-triangle. But beware. Now it is the love quadruple. Which means there is not only someone who tries to win you over but there is also someone hitting on your love interest.

27. It is vital to ask "Who is it?" before answering the door but to open it before the other person has the chance to say something and spoil the suprise

30. If you want to find out whether you are hanging out with the good girl borrow her your car (if you are the guy you most likely will have at least one). If she drives like she is blind/ drunk/ doesn't even have heard of such a thing like a licence/ she is having a panic attack you have the right one. You have to forgive her this one. Good girl only right bicycles or buses. Sometimes trains but only to leave they're true love.

31. Seoul fits into my purse. It is so small that you will find your way around within a couple of minutes.

32. Also you will always meet your lost love so you can pine after them, even though before knowing them you NEVER hung out at the same place EVER!

33. It is very possible that you love interest will tell you that they love you in the rain so that you can kiss them (im)passionatly in the rain afterwards. Of course you will get sick afterwards and probly DIE! From leukemia (is it showing that this leukemia thing is annoying in my eyes?)

34. There is only no car or huge car. There is no other car production.

35. do not call your boyfriend "Oppa" if you do you are the psycho ex and he will axe you for a girl that calls him
"ahjussi" even after they are married. He sees that als cute quirk.

36. Never let your cellphone lay anywhere. You opponent will answer it and find out that YOU WILL DIE! From leukemia!

37. If you want to marry a celebrity just hang out in front of there office or something. Because as soon as you fake marry/ engage or have relationship you will fall in love.

38. If you are the leading lady you have the luck of a biorhytmus that allows you to eat so much food that it would outweight and elephant and still look like a fairy. Of course all men find our non stop binging for food with their money extremely charming.

39. There is only one place to mourn your love. In the shower. Taking your clothes of is an option but not a must

40. If you are in the hospital it will either ruin your family into the next three generations OR you will not have to pay at all.

41. If your love interest secretly pays for you, you will just accept it. You will not freak out because somebody just took care of a huge bill.

42. If you happen to be rich-and-handsome-manager/director/billionair-son-guy you probably do not believe in love. You believe in power, money and good connections. You are kind of cold and standoffish. But as soon as you discover the wonders of your poor but sassy girl you will whip out the romance!

43. If you are rich-and-handsome-manager/director/billionair-son-guy you will go and study abroad. Probably the US. You will learn the super secret how to save a whole company while looking dashing and be a super fighter with a romantic attitude (proving that by playing at LEAST Piano and maybe violin) and a good heart that sweeps the heroin of her feet. Without breaking out in sweat once.. You will not learn english

44. Your man can be 20 years older and nobody cares but if you're boyfriend is three years younger you are an old ajumma spinster and all of the relationship is a total scandal.

45. If you are supporting it doesn't matter that the leading love interest doesn't love you as long as he doesn't leave you. If you are the supporting male YOU WILL softly say at one point: "Nothing matters as long as you stay by my side!" While the leading lady looks at you totally awkward and slightly appalled of the pressure you are laying on her.

46. If you are the male, you will swim. And since you are rich-and-handsome-manager/director/billionair-son-guy you will also drive cars (too fast), right horses like you were born up there and play a pro golf that lets Tiger Woods look like a ninny.

47. Youre best girl is dumb. She will blab on you and not even notice

48. If you are passed out (either because you are drunk or because you are dying from leukemia) your love interest will piggy back you the next 50 Miles to your house/ hospital/ his house.

49. Over the course of your very own drama you will so something so idiotic that nobody watching you will understand it. It blows up all in your face later.

50. If you get stabbed take it like the manly man that you are do not go to the hospital. If you do your girl will die from leukemia

51. If you talk to you honey you can talk loud or very loud. No other option.

52. As a girl in a melodram you will cry yourself into the next week. As a guy you will cry little choky tears of manly desperation (especially nice the one eyed tear.

53. Bring your own toilet paper. Just in case

54. If you are the supporting male your love to the leading lady makes you a better person so you actually want to work. You prove that by starting to go to a meeting or two.

55.If you a dirt broke girl that just started out in a company be happy. The new boss will not only be a model like superhottie but also the love of your (short because leukemic) life.

56. If you are about to kiss for the first time it is vital that you look as if you are about to suck on a frog. Please do not show passion or happiness especially if you love interest is so insanely hot that a normal reaction would at least be some happy smooching.

57. If you a poor girl a male relative will almost ruin you by being a thuggish douchebag. And then he will cry self-pitying tears and apologize.

58. Taking your clothes off before going into water is optional.

59. If by any reason you end up living with a guy you will fall in love with him and vice versa. Even though at first he behaves like the douchiest douche in town.

60. There are only two romantic gestures instead of hugging (not kissing, thats apparently gross): Tying your love ones shoe or riding a bike together.

aimlesswanderer
Posts: 165
Joined: Feb 4th, '07, 03:53
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by aimlesswanderer » Oct 25th, '09, 00:41

A great list, and all too true. I am glad that I don't watch series which tick too many of those boxes... I can't handle the general silliness and irrationality. Off the top of my head I can't remember a death by leukemia, so I must be watching the right series!

Basuha
Posts: 77
Joined: Jan 18th, '08, 13:10

I got some

Post by Basuha » Oct 25th, '09, 02:06

1. What about the fact you can be RICH but one scandal can make you poor.

2. They accept an idol being with a guy instead of a girl.

3. When then main actress loses her parents in a car accidents she have to get on her knee in front of the rich guy (mother) to apologies for not having parents,

4. I love how all the elder can slap, pull your hair throw water at you and you just have to take it because they older....

5. Fully dress in they calling the guy a pervert because they wake up at his place.

6. My favorite leaving they kids alone it seem it you leave them with enough money to live it acceptable and legal

7. How two brother can't married two sister because they family, no blood ties but they related it unholy.

8. They never seem to take bath unless they rich

9. Sleep with they clothes on, that got to be uncomfortable

10. The kiss of death, no passion, no movement awful, just awful display of love

amktsy
Posts: 49
Joined: Sep 21st, '08, 04:46
Location: Singapore

Post by amktsy » Oct 25th, '09, 08:30

xk wrote:The only thing I like about Korean TV dramas is that there are lots of pretty girls to look at. They are prettier than Japanese.. Korean broadcasts need to start airing some rated R stuff, like more violence and sex.

Oh and i forgot to mention... it's got great PQ. They are almost always better than J-dramas.
i love watching korean dramas cos there isn't a lot of r stuff,violence and sex...
anyone thinks the same as me? :unsure:

garnet07
Posts: 534
Joined: May 4th, '04, 04:18
Location: Cali, USA
Contact:

Post by garnet07 » Nov 2nd, '09, 00:28

@nokchan: :lol :w00t: You're HILARIOUS. All those are so true!! Thanks for making this a great day.
Image
Waiting:
J: WatashiGaRenaiDekinaiRiyuu, HimitsuErika, NankyokuTairiku, KaseifuNoMita, NazotokiDinner
K: TreeWithDeepRoots, FlowerShop, Me2Flower
C: InTimeWithYou

User avatar
Neliets
Posts: 824
Joined: Aug 2nd, '09, 17:35
Location: Latvia

Post by Neliets » Nov 2nd, '09, 05:29

amktsy wrote:
xk wrote:The only thing I like about Korean TV dramas is that there are lots of pretty girls to look at. They are prettier than Japanese.. Korean broadcasts need to start airing some rated R stuff, like more violence and sex.

Oh and i forgot to mention... it's got great PQ. They are almost always better than J-dramas.
i love watching korean dramas cos there isn't a lot of r stuff,violence and sex...
anyone thinks the same as me? :unsure:
Same for me. As I see it, they have way higher respect for physical contact than anyone else. I think I`ve posted this a while ago, already.

aimlesswanderer
Posts: 165
Joined: Feb 4th, '07, 03:53
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by aimlesswanderer » Nov 2nd, '09, 07:44

There doesn't have to be violence and sex for dramas to be mature (ie more 'serious'), but it does not have to be completely nerfed and bland. In real life stuff happens, and kdramas seem extremely unrealistic and more idealised than entertainment in Australia or the US. Korean movies have more mature content, why hasn't that translated to the small screen?

DORAEMON4ever
Posts: 3
Joined: Nov 25th, '09, 02:28

Post by DORAEMON4ever » Nov 25th, '09, 02:39

xk wrote:Rule #1: Don't put too much food in your mouth.
Rule #2: Don't talk while eating.
Rule #3: Don't eat live fish or squid or octopus..
I mean i guess it's not as bad as Chinese easting monkey brains... but anyways, Japanese and Americans don't do such thing.
Rule #4: Leave the damn headrest in the front passenger seat alone...
Rule #5: DON'T COVER UP THE DAMN BADGE ON THE FRONT AND REAR OF THE CAR. YOU REALLY GOTTA STOP WITH THIS SH#T.....
Rule #6: Shorten the mini-series episodes to 8 or 10..not 20 or 28. I've been watching Shining Inheritance and it's dragging wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long. This drama should have been cut down to 8 episodes.
Rule #8: If you wanna show filthy rich people then show us some real expensive cars like Bentley or top-of-the-line Mercedes or some Bugatti or Koenigsegg or something. I'm so sick of watching Infiniti cars as I see them all the time in the streets.
Rule #9: I haven't come up with ideas yet.. I'll let you know once i come up with something...


.
Rule #10: stop being a smart a$$ and stop watching Kdramas.


BTW, maybe for Korean economy, Infiniti cars are the IT car. It is obvious that normal people cannot afford those. To us people in the US, Infiniti might be just another car that anyone with a job can afford. Different countries, different cultures, different currencies, different standards; you just cannot compare those with each other.

I know in countries like Thailand Philippines and probably Korea as well, it is not the norm for every household to be able to afford a car. So to own an Infiniti surely says a lot about one's status.

Maybe you should travel more???

User avatar
hyall
Posts: 9
Joined: Nov 19th, '09, 08:45
Location: Italy

Post by hyall » Nov 30th, '09, 16:54

You know that comment about abusive mothers and the reply that you do not live in Asia is true. I recall my own rather violent beating too. It is how we were brought up. Many of my own friends and my cousins were given quite bad beatings. It is common in Asia not to spare the rod and we think nothing of it.

Anyway this list was dead on and very very funny and well written.

Silverman
Posts: 600
Joined: Mar 25th, '11, 22:10

Post by Silverman » May 7th, '11, 23:26

I haven't seen lists with clichés, which are common for 99% of the dramas.
1. At the end of the drama, one of the mainleads goes study or work abroad for a period of 1,5-4 years. In this time they don't visit each other (although they have a private jet and use it in the course of the plot to have breakfast in France), call or write letters. And even after all this time withut contact, they are still madly in love (althogh their relationship previous to the journey lastet only 2 weeks).

2. Every person has the same highend/latest cell phone. It doesn't matter if they are superrich or live in a shed and can't afford something to eat (i know its for advertising, but...)

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 679
Joined: May 23rd, '09, 00:06
Location: USA

Post by iluvasiandrama » May 7th, '11, 23:39

I have noticed that the female lead in Kdramas will hit or punch the male lead or some man at least once but usually more. Sometimes it's overdone and I have to ff through those parts. That's the only thing I have noticed that's different from TW and Japanese drama where the women are more lady-like towards the lead male.

I still like kdramas though. :roll
Now watching: Need to find some new dramas

iLLusiOnEr
Posts: 204
Joined: May 29th, '06, 16:59
Location: Bocholt, Germany
Contact:

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Jul 24th, '12, 20:52

When seeing eating scene, esp. in family theme-drama, one would think korean production won't ever be hungry at shooting. (at least their rice in bowl in genuine)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests