Soulmate (MBC, 2006)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
dingdangdong

Post by dingdangdong » Apr 29th, '07, 07:04

nophankh,

THANKS a million :) Saved me from having slow downloads...

nophankh

Post by nophankh » May 2nd, '07, 02:24

Update--

at idols-unlimted.com
http://idols-unlimited.com/kdrama-soulmate

Eps. 1-20 are uploaded.

srs.cassiopeia

Post by srs.cassiopeia » May 21st, '07, 12:45

i just finished this drama! it's so good! shin dong wook shines =D he looks so good! i love how the concept of soulmate was conveyed. they had good dialogues about love and relationships. what i only hoped for the ending was: (spoiler alert)
for dong wook's video to show su gyeong passing by while he was shooting in the streets of japan =D =D =D

is there really gonna be a second season?
i really hope for it.... *crossing fingers*

nophankh

Post by nophankh » May 22nd, '07, 03:33

srs.cassiopeia wrote:i just finished this drama! it's so good! shin dong wook shines =D he looks so good! i love how the concept of soulmate was conveyed. they had good dialogues about love and relationships. what i only hoped for the ending was: (spoiler alert)
for dong wook's video to show su gyeong passing by while he was shooting in the streets of japan =D =D =D
I agree...:( they should have done that.

HQLover

Post by HQLover » May 22nd, '07, 05:13

i finished this show a few months ago and I really really enjoyed it. I'm waiting impatiently for Season II....I wonder when they are going to show SEASON II?

srs.cassiopeia

Post by srs.cassiopeia » May 22nd, '07, 19:54

so do i.... im really looking forward to it... and i hope they would continue where they ended it in the first season of soulmate =D i wanna see shin dong wook doing these kinds of roles. i didn't like cloud stairways. it was too draggy, that i stopped at the 4th episode, i think. i initially watched it because of han ji hye. it was the first time i encountered shin dong wook there. but it was soulmate that made me really like him =D

bananaloverz

Post by bananaloverz » Jun 1st, '07, 12:34

this drama has an amazing soundtrack such as 'come on through', and others that i dunno.. The story also quiet catching at the last episode.. i wonder because it is too dragged or because it is just tat i am not compatible to this kind of slow drama.. anyway, the end is not so bad...

luisa

Post by luisa » Jul 5th, '07, 13:48

I finsihed this drama some days ago, and I love it <3 The ending makes me ask for more hhahaha I really would like to watch a season 2... but it seems that there won't be one >.<

luzexitarbd

Post by luzexitarbd » Jul 9th, '07, 02:36

omg!!! so I just finished "Soulmate" about 10 minutes ago!! And I can NOT wait for a second season!!! Is anybody sure if there will be a second season..... and just like it was mentioned above I agree about the ending (in spoiler)
I actually paused my player to see if she was walking around there but I didn't see her if somebody so Seu-gyeong walking around there ....please I beg you tell me at what exact moment...otherwise I am highly disappointed that she wasn't there...but I still like the ending...
and I like even more that the subs said "Wait for Season 2" right at the end so that gives me lotz of hope!! lol otherwise I am completely in love :wub: with this series and will be waiting for the rest of the spanish subs so I can show it to MY MOM!! lol

oh yeah!! the OST rocks!! can't stop listening to it! Overall a great series!!!! :D

roygvib

Post by roygvib » Jul 10th, '07, 09:29

love this drama. wish there's gonna be a second season for it.

skyccm

Post by skyccm » Jul 10th, '07, 09:59

There will be no 2nd season, unfortunately..!
So sad, huh?
Watchin. Coffee House (SBS), Cinderella''''s Sister, Bad Guy (SBS) {*Series*} Infinity Challenge (MBC), Come To Hang Around (MBS), 1Night 2Days (KBS2) {*Entertainm.*}

http://skyccm.wordpress.com

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Jul 10th, '07, 18:39

I was crashed when I found out there wasn't gonna be a second season. I was really hoping they would rediscover eachother in Japan. :(.

Come on now, give us more. I think the schedule conflict of the leading stars lead to the withdraw for the second season. :(

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 15th, '07, 02:37

this is definitely one of the best drama ever. The plot seems so predictable yet hard to predict. I sometimes get very confused by the flashbacks yet amazed by how everything works out in a circle :glare:
I have 2 more eps until the end... hope this will be a happy ending!

homemade

Post by homemade » Jul 15th, '07, 20:44

the first one was pretty good...i was hoping there will be a second season...guess not...

Filmfan

What? No Soulmate Season 2?!!!!!

Post by Filmfan » Jul 16th, '07, 04:10

aaaaah!!!!!!!!!where did you guys hear that? i haven't been on this thing in awhile, and when i return I get such devastating news. oh please, oh please, may you be wrong. how do you know about it? more importantly where and who should we write to to get some much needed closure to a really great original and unique show...and not to mention more shin dong wook?

pwner4once

Re: What? No Soulmate Season 2?!!!!!

Post by pwner4once » Jul 16th, '07, 16:54

Filmfan wrote:aaaaah!!!!!!!!!where did you guys hear that? i haven't been on this thing in awhile, and when i return I get such devastating news. oh please, oh please, may you be wrong. how do you know about it? more importantly where and who should we write to to get some much needed closure to a really great original and unique show...and not to mention more shin dong wook?
if you read back a few pages back. Someone mentioned that the 2nd season idea was canceled due to scheduling conflicts on the main casts' part. :*(
well i hope they will make a 2nd season in the future.. ! man i loved how the ending was... how shin-dong pretty much called out everyone and therefore put a finish to everyone's relationship. No second guessing about all the other couple except tupon them. hem... kinda focuses the attention upon them. Think the ending should be the greatest eps of the whole season! man i caught Shin dong's love walking on the side walk at the end! :cussing: :cussing:

Filmfan

Post by Filmfan » Jul 17th, '07, 15:39

pwner4once wrote:
Filmfan wrote:aaaaah!!!!!!!!!where did you guys hear that? i haven't been on this thing in awhile, and when i return I get such devastating news. oh please, oh please, may you be wrong. how do you know about it? more importantly where and who should we write to to get some much needed closure to a really great original and unique show...and not to mention more shin dong wook?
if you read back a few pages back. Someone mentioned that the 2nd season idea was canceled due to scheduling conflicts on the main casts' part. :*(
well i hope they will make a 2nd season in the future.. ! man i loved how the ending was... how shin-dong pretty much called out everyone and therefore put a finish to everyone's relationship. No second guessing about all the other couple except tupon them. hem... kinda focuses the attention upon them. Think the ending should be the greatest eps of the whole season! man i caught Shin dong's love walking on the side walk at the end! :cussing: :cussing:
:D :cheers: yay, thanks pwner4once, at least that gives me some hope. sigh. so looking forward to seeing it maybe this year, but if they're still doing it after all their scheduling conflicts, then it's fine by me, i could wait forever...well, not forever, but long enough. i know, his walk is so (this is the point where I should go watch it again) : :-)

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 17th, '07, 15:57

Filmfan wrote:
pwner4once wrote:
:D :cheers: yay, thanks pwner4once, at least that gives me some hope. sigh. so looking forward to seeing it maybe this year, but if they're still doing it after all their scheduling conflicts, then it's fine by me, i could wait forever...well, not forever, but long enough. i know, his walk is so (this is the point where I should go watch it again) : :-)
everytime i rewatch the ending. i will always try to find the female soulmate before the camera sharply turn to her. but i never manage to do so since the camera zoomed in too much >_<
garr i really want tthe second season...and the son C'Mon through is so awesome!

luisa

Post by luisa » Jul 18th, '07, 04:09

So she appears???? But I can't see her :( In what clothes??? Can someone give me some help XD ?

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 18th, '07, 04:42

it's kind easy to miss but it's at the very sense where the camera zoom into Dong-wak first as he back away from the camera. then there is a sudden turn to the left and it'll stay still with a bunch of random people walking. however if u just pause it. u can see there is a skinny figure with hands in pocket. I believe that's his soulmate :D

luisa

Post by luisa » Jul 18th, '07, 04:47

pwner4once wrote:it's kind easy to miss but it's at the very sense where the camera zoom into Dong-wak first as he back away from the camera. then there is a sudden turn to the left and it'll stay still with a bunch of random people walking. however if u just pause it. u can see there is a skinny figure with hands in pocket. I believe that's his soulmate :D
Hey, I think I know who you are talking about, Thanks~!!! :-)
:cheers:

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 18th, '07, 04:56

no problem` if u r still not sure. i can take a screenies and circle her for ya :D

Filmfan

Post by Filmfan » Jul 19th, '07, 16:05

pwner4once wrote:it's kind easy to miss but it's at the very sense where the camera zoom into Dong-wak first as he back away from the camera. then there is a sudden turn to the left and it'll stay still with a bunch of random people walking. however if u just pause it. u can see there is a skinny figure with hands in pocket. I believe that's his soulmate :D
ooh, is she the one wearing black pants and a white jacket? i think it's probably her too, cause what was the point of the camera panning left that quick and holding there for awhile. Ah, I love this show! I couldn't stop staring at Shin Dong Wooks' arms. They're really well defined. Dang it, season 2...please come soon!

Filmfan

Someone wrote this on veoh two weeks ago

Post by Filmfan » Jul 19th, '07, 16:12

"season 2 will NOT come out. soulmate's ratings were only mediocre- the writer got a new movie to write shin dong wook has a new drama hes accepted-money's warfare so they decided to just cancel it. it was supposed to come out on june 6th. it just makes soulmate more precious-since it leaves its originality and leaves room for imagination. i personally would love to see season two. i even wrote a bulletin on mbc's page requesting soulmate 2 many others have too but it seems like they gave up on this project."

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer to go with what pwner4once said cause I refuse to believe this is over. But just in case must write MBC. Don't know Korean, but darn it, they got to see the urgency even in a different language.

Filmfan

Email addresses of MBC execs

Post by Filmfan » Jul 19th, '07, 16:19

I found this on their site, so just in case anyone wants to write, beg, and plead, these are who to contact:

http://content.mbc.co.kr/e_mbc/biz_main01.asp

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 19th, '07, 16:19

kk finally managed to take a screenshot
here it is :D

It makes sense that these actress only care about the money and the love affair atmosphere has only been built upon the pure acting. Nevertheless the acting is awesome and the love story is nowhere near shallow. Therefore i pray for more... not sure if i get to download them in college though >_<

Filmfan

Post by Filmfan » Jul 19th, '07, 17:36

pwner4once wrote:kk finally managed to take a screenshot

It makes sense that these actress only care about the money and the love affair atmosphere has only been built upon the pure acting. Nevertheless the acting is awesome and the love story is nowhere near shallow. Therefore i pray for more... not sure if i get to download them in college though >_<
oh, so she's the one with the blue sweats on. darn it, they're just too far away.

exactly, the story isn't shallow. it's...definitely unique, there's absolutely nothing like this out there and it's such a waste that they won't make a second season cause that means my only means of entertainment now will be the everyday run-of-the-mill kinds. ah! i'm getting goosebumps out of frustration.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Jul 19th, '07, 18:29

I would like to say it's her, but you can't really be sure.

I do want a second season, but I think in away it ended well. Those two didn't really have a sound foundation to fall on. She just ended a 5 year relationship with a guy who cheated on her. He's just a playboy who doesn't know what he wants.He dated that girl just for the heck of it. Dating is just a game to him. I think when he was caught on the seriousness of it all, he used an excuse to get out it.

She looking for support and she temporary found it in him. He could easily dump her. What is soul mate? This show really made you question that. People who are destine to be together don't end up together. I remember somewhere, reading it or hearing it that most don't marry the one they love, they marry the next person.

maybe I'm being too critical. I still love this drama. I think maybe it's better if they didn't do a second season. Second season usually is the card of death to most dramas, for example, hana yori dango, metereo garden, and etc.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 19th, '07, 19:04

nophankh wrote:I would like to say it's her, but you can't really be sure.

I do want a second season, but I think in away it ended well. Those two didn't really have a sound foundation to fall on. She just ended a 5 year relationship with a guy who cheated on her. He's just a playboy who doesn't know what he wants.He dated that girl just for the heck of it. Dating is just a game to him. I think when he was caught on the seriousness of it all, he used an excuse to get out it.

She looking for support and she temporary found it in him. He could easily dump her. What is soul mate? This show really made you question that. People who are destine to be together don't end up together. I remember somewhere, reading it or hearing it that most don't marry the one they love, they marry the next person.

maybe I'm being too critical. I still love this drama. I think maybe it's better if they didn't do a second season. Second season usually is the card of death to most dramas, for example, hana yori dango, metereo garden, and etc.
What you said is definitely true. They didn't have a love foundation of any kind but the Dong's instinct that they are bound to be together regardless of each other's condition. Also like what the girl said, There is no perfect man or woman. There is only perfect love made by imperfect man and imperfect woman. Also Love is not something destined. I think it's something both party have to believe in and work toward it.

dreamstory

Post by dreamstory » Jul 20th, '07, 14:26

pwner4once wrote:

What you said is definitely true. They didn't have a love foundation of any kind but the Dong's instinct that they are bound to be together regardless of each other's condition. Also like what the girl said, There is no perfect man or woman. There is only perfect love made by imperfect man and imperfect woman. Also Love is not something destined. I think it's something both party have to believe in and work toward it.
I know that it may not seem solid because of so much of their time apart and with other people (of whom they acted differently with), but I totally see them as having a good foundation because of how the story had began--it was established that these two people were with the wrong folks and that they were meant for each other, but just hadn't had the chance to till the end...well, sort of, cause that's when second season is supposed to kick in and give us the rest.

LOVE THIS SHOW!

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 20th, '07, 14:33

dreamstory wrote:
pwner4once wrote:

I know that it may not seem solid because of so much of their time apart and with other people (of whom they acted differently with), but I totally see them as having a good foundation because of how the story had began--it was established that these two people were with the wrong folks and that they were meant for each other, but just hadn't had the chance to till the end...well, sort of, cause that's when second season is supposed to kick in and give us the rest.

LOVE THIS SHOW!
lol it seems okay from what the plot's purpose. however it seems more of a one night stand thing to me, seeing this relationship play out so fast and so painful for both party. Also how would su-jeong she simply forget the lovely moment with Philip after 5 years of relationship? I think the whole destiny/fate i the answer to all these questions. However... yea long wait before S2 comes out !

dreamstory

Oh I have good news! Well, hopefully

Post by dreamstory » Jul 20th, '07, 14:38

Okay, so I was looking at the news and rumors out there and I was getting worried and I saw something about someone trying to post in on a bulletin on the MBC site urging them to reinstate Soulmate 2 and they said it didn't work. So what I did instead was to write to all those folks that was given on the link and cc them. And two of them promptly wrote me back. One in the U.S. and the other one in the International division.

"Thank you for your compliment on MBC's SOULMATE. Your email's being a lot help to promote this program. I am working in the business department where we sell our contents worldwide. Because sit-coms are not the big selling content, and because the charaters in SOULMATE are not the 'well-known' ones in Asia or in other countries, that this 'good' program did not mark the bug sale. But being encouraged by your email, I might try once more to try to introduce SOUlMATE again to more viewers worldwide. I will also forward your email to the producer to encourage him to fight for the time block
for 'season 2'.!! ^^

Thank you!!

Haewon Chin

International Business Division

MBC"

I told them that the show is so great and unique and that there are so many fans out there besides the ones who live in Korea. Even non-Asians know about the show. And that some of the ratings didn't count the rest of us. So it would be really awesome if more people wrote them to see that there are indeed a lot of us and to spread the word when the reintroduce the show again so that more people will know about it and the second season will be in the near future!

Oh, and this one is from the Manager in the U.S. division:

"I'm the Manager of Content Business/Planning here at MBC America, USA branch of MBC in Korea. We at MBC America plans to make 'Soulmate' into DVDs with English subtitles. What kind of demand do you think there will be? Can you direct me to sites or fan clubs of this drama as well as other Korean dramas? I'd appreicate your feedback.
Meanwhile, I will mention your email to my higher boss.

Thank you."

So guys, it pays to write.

AZA AZA!!!

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 20th, '07, 14:41

yaya! I hope they will look into hot demand for S2. Seriously this drama is way bette than Only You but i don't get how there are only a few people commenting on this thread ;X

dreamstory

Post by dreamstory » Jul 20th, '07, 14:45

pwner4once wrote:
dreamstory wrote:
pwner4once wrote:

LOVE THIS SHOW!
lol it seems okay from what the plot's purpose. however it seems more of a one night stand thing to me, seeing this relationship play out so fast and so painful for both party. Also how would su-jeong she simply forget the lovely moment with Philip after 5 years of relationship? I think the whole destiny/fate i the answer to all these questions. However... yea long wait before S2 comes out !
hahaha. :D i guess it's playing out so fast cause it's shorter than the average drama. kinda like the Japanese dramas where they go by so fast. it's got it's good and bad aspects to the length of it.

Well, I don't know if she'll totally forget Philip (he'll probably be etched in her memory forever), but from my point-of-view why she didn't really pursue the whole thing with Dong Wook is I thought it was to not hurt her friend (Dong Wook's ex) .

dreamstory

Post by dreamstory » Jul 20th, '07, 14:47

pwner4once wrote:yaya! I hope they will look into hot demand for S2. Seriously this drama is way bette than Only You but i don't get how there are only a few people commenting on this thread ;X
No kidding, I don't get it either why there are only a few, there are a lot of views though. And I know that from youtube and veoh and crunchyroll alone there are a lot of viewers and people's comments on there. I guess, must spread the word there then so they'd know.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 20th, '07, 14:51

haha so true. I guess only DA have limited view/posters regarding Soulmate. hm so is anyone buying the new Harry Potter book? :lol

luisa

Post by luisa » Jul 22nd, '07, 09:36

pwner4once wrote:kk finally managed to take a screenshot

Hey Thanks XD Actually, last time I thought she was the one in white XD hahaha LOL But now that I see, this one looks more like her :D

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 22nd, '07, 15:17

yea I kind spotted her due to the weird camera movement lol
but the physical feature really match her.
I am starting to rewatching this serious and I can see how much hint the director has given about the 6 characters but it's still hard to see since it's only the beginning :lol

Filmfan

Re: Oh I have good news! Well, hopefully

Post by Filmfan » Jul 23rd, '07, 03:24

dreamstory wrote:Okay, so I was looking at the news and rumors out there and I was getting worried and I saw something about someone trying to post in on a bulletin on the MBC site urging them to reinstate Soulmate 2 and they said it didn't work. So what I did instead was to write to all those folks that was given on the link and cc them. And two of them promptly wrote me back. One in the U.S. and the other one in the International division.

"Thank you for your compliment on MBC's SOULMATE. Your email's being a lot help to promote this program. I am working in the business department where we sell our contents worldwide. Because sit-coms are not the big selling content, and because the charaters in SOULMATE are not the 'well-known' ones in Asia or in other countries, that this 'good' program did not mark the bug sale. But being encouraged by your email, I might try once more to try to introduce SOUlMATE again to more viewers worldwide. I will also forward your email to the producer to encourage him to fight for the time block
for 'season 2'.!! ^^

Thank you!!

Haewon Chin

International Business Division

MBC"

I told them that the show is so great and unique and that there are so many fans out there besides the ones who live in Korea. Even non-Asians know about the show. And that some of the ratings didn't count the rest of us. So it would be really awesome if more people wrote them to see that there are indeed a lot of us and to spread the word when the reintroduce the show again so that more people will know about it and the second season will be in the near future!

Oh, and this one is from the Manager in the U.S. division:

"I'm the Manager of Content Business/Planning here at MBC America, USA branch of MBC in Korea. We at MBC America plans to make 'Soulmate' into DVDs with English subtitles. What kind of demand do you think there will be? Can you direct me to sites or fan clubs of this drama as well as other Korean dramas? I'd appreicate your feedback.
Meanwhile, I will mention your email to my higher boss.

Thank you."

So guys, it pays to write.

AZA AZA!!!
so wrote! so hoping for the next season!

rubi

Post by rubi » Jul 23rd, '07, 05:57

I really hope they reconsider season 2. I really liked Soulmate! <3 The music was great too. :D I would write to them just like dreamstory did, but I don't know their email or anything. :sweat:

dreamstory

Post by dreamstory » Jul 23rd, '07, 16:45

rubi wrote:I really hope they reconsider season 2. I really liked Soulmate! <3 The music was great too. :D I would write to them just like dreamstory did, but I don't know their email or anything. :sweat:
A bunch have definitely written MBC already, and thanks to all of you who have written and will be writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, rubi, this is the link to their email addresses. just cc all of them on your email, and they should all get it, just click on "Click to contact", and a bunch of email will be there.:

http://content.mbc.co.kr/e_mbc/biz_main.asp

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

naoise

Post by naoise » Jul 31st, '07, 16:03

I have written to the MBC execs too, thanks for the links. I hope more people will write to them too, I so desperately want to see season 2.

I just found this highly underrated drama, gosh it is so good. It has been so long I found a drama I loved so much. It makes me wonder too why this show has been getting so little attention in most forums I go to since it is such a good show. I almost missed out on this drama because of it. I find it a pity that so many must have actually missed out on this great gem too.

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Aug 16th, '07, 05:36

I can't say I care about the sequel since I'm satisfied with the open-ended resolution to the show as it stands.** But I look forward to the director and writing team doing more projects. Soulmate 2 wouldn't be bad either way too, of course.

Anyway, I know this is offensive to subgroup teams but I recently came upon this link, a website that streams eng-subbed dramas and movies online, and feel especially in this case it's useful to those who want to watch the show but don't feel like downloading 700 mb files or so to see if it's any good.

Link for Soulmate:

http://oafun.com/channel/616/Soulmate.html

I'm currently watching Coffee Prince. -- Effortlessly good show so far at ep 8. :)

--

** I think I'm satisfied because the show's direction toward the end, and apparently from the very beginning, is a sort of intellectual one; ie, you may find your soulmate, but even that's not enough to guarantee happiness, or even then you can't be sure... Or something like that. I'll need to watch this show again. The show is complete when that abstract point is made, as opposed to when characters live "happily ever after" in an obvious way. I felt Soulmate was as thought-provoking as it was funny.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Aug 16th, '07, 14:53

I would've liked the ending to have been more conclusive but it's just a minor gripe and I pretty much agree with your points, Ssang. I however still like to see a Soulmate Season 2 because I just love the directorial style of the series. It could be an entirely new drama with a new cast and all, it doesn't have to be a continuation from season 1. I guess I would be happy with another sitcom in the same vain as Soulmate.

sponge_girl

Post by sponge_girl » Aug 25th, '07, 06:34

i found myself enjoying this drama a lot. totally different but good.

tellyismylife

Post by tellyismylife » Aug 26th, '07, 20:43

i can't believe it ends like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm so :cussing:
it's such a great concept. they have to do a second series. the pain i went through to download this one and then it ends like that...oh the grief

shoujomanga

Post by shoujomanga » Aug 27th, '07, 10:32

I have just discovered this show two days ago, and finished it in that amount of time too. I gotta say I love it! I haven't seen such good show in a while. So witty, funny, surprising, and romantic. The section on dating techniques was definitely hilarious. Like everyone said the music was amazing also. It conveys the mood perfectly. The idea of having a soul mate is quite intriguing. I've heard about this concept before but never really thought about it.

The actors/actresses are not attractive at first glance, but ALL of them grew on me after a while, esp Dong Wuk and Soo Gyeong =)

The open ending is fitting with the storyline. Still it left something to be desired ^^; I guess i want a more definite feel to it.

Oh, one aspect that i REALLY love about this show is the way it jumps around. It's like trying to piece back together a puzzle. I enjoy that feeling =)

Also i'm very disappointed that they are not making another season :-( I HOPE HOPE that somehow this show willl get enough support and another season will be made. Though that chance is prob slim >.>

Lissy24

Post by Lissy24 » Aug 28th, '07, 05:40

Love LOVE!!!!! Soulmate...the best of the best!

franchosa

Post by franchosa » Aug 28th, '07, 06:26

Yup! Soulmate is my favorite K-drama now! Good stuff.

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Aug 28th, '07, 10:37

Yay, more fans!

I'm rewatching ep 12 (file 12). To prove the point I made in my prior post about the philosophical message this show is going for (ie that the bond between soulmates is mystical but that it's not the end-all, be-all and is no guarantee for happiness) here is what Min-ji says about it:
Someone once said, when a man meets his fate, he'll leave her thinking there's a better woman out there. // When a woman meets her fate, even knowing that, she'll still choose reality over him. // I insist Jeong-hwan's my fate, but I don't really know that. I just made it that way. // We just love, no matter what. // "There's nobody I love more than this person." That's fate. // "There's nobody for me but this person." That becomes fate too. //
Su-gyeong. You have to think wisely.
Su-gyeong and Dong-wuk experience some deeply mystical **** between each other. They have every reason to drop everything and love each other. They're soulmates but they're not sure.

On the other hand, Yujin's heart is broken. She genuinely loves Dong-wuk, even though she isn't a soulmate. But Yujin made Dongwuk her soulmate and her affections are undeniably real.

There are other considerations that pop into mind -- and that!, in addition to the masterful use of music, the editing, the colorful cast of characters, dialogue and jokes, is why I love this show. It packs a lot of romantic heft into its episodes and manages to be profound and funny as well. Not bad for a sitcom.

ps: I was looking at the wiki page for Soulmates. The name of the actress who plays "Hong Yujin" is really Hong Yujin, like everyone else on the show whose characters names are their own. "Sa Gang" is Hong Yujin's stage name or the name the actress picked up for her career, ironically enough.

kotatsulove

Post by kotatsulove » Nov 23rd, '07, 04:33

i love love love love this drama. there wasn't one moment where i thought they couldn't have done something better. i'm really sad they're not making another season, but i was fine with the ending the way it was. it leaves a little more to the imagination. i'm about ready to watch this whole series over again, that's how much i love it.

ha, that's really funny about Yujin's name. i liked how the names of the actors were their real names...makes it easier.

RainingWendy

Post by RainingWendy » Nov 23rd, '07, 21:58

Soulmate i got to say is one of the best i seen..i loved it the way they used to pass by each other it was sooo romantic!!
Tu eres como la lluvia que llena mi alma.

You are like the Rain that fills my soul.

alanmartires

Post by alanmartires » Dec 5th, '07, 17:07

i love this sitcom or drama whatever...i just cant stop telling everyone how nice this is...anyway...i heard some catchy lines in soulmate...mind telling me what they were? :lol

l-chan

Post by l-chan » Dec 5th, '07, 20:52

hmm i have not seen it yet,, but after i read what u guys've said i become all excited and
i really wanna watch it now :lol

can anybody tell who is the role actore and actress? cuz there is one that i already hate
and i don't want to end up watching a whole drama about him :P

alanmartires

Post by alanmartires » Dec 5th, '07, 21:33

the lead actor is shin dong wook :)

duencil

Post by duencil » Dec 6th, '07, 00:47

I saw this after reading the many recommendations in this thread, and found it quite moving and unique, so thank you all. I went from there to watch Dal Ja's Spring, which treats some of the same themes, including a similar (though more conclusive) ending,

lokelaninyc

felt same way about the ending...

Post by lokelaninyc » Dec 11th, '07, 02:10

shoujomanga wrote:I have just discovered this show two days ago, and finished it in that amount of time too. I gotta say I love it! I haven't seen such good show in a while. So witty, funny, surprising, and romantic. The section on dating techniques was definitely hilarious. Like everyone said the music was amazing also. It conveys the mood perfectly. The idea of having a soul mate is quite intriguing. I've heard about this concept before but never really thought about it.

The actors/actresses are not attractive at first glance, but ALL of them grew on me after a while, esp Dong Wuk and Soo Gyeong =)

The open ending is fitting with the storyline. Still it left something to be desired ^^; I guess i want a more definite feel to it.

Oh, one aspect that i REALLY love about this show is the way it jumps around. It's like trying to piece back together a puzzle. I enjoy that feeling =)

Also i'm very disappointed that they are not making another season :-( I HOPE HOPE that somehow this show willl get enough support and another season will be made. Though that chance is prob slim >.>
totally agree about the ending... altho i think for diff reasons :mrgreen:
i didn't like the cliche ending, esp since the rest of the series was so... frank, a lot of the advice, observations, etc were true to life.
it seems too catchy... 2 ppl maybe bumping into each other because they're "soul mates" but not sure... i think another ending, more fantastic, or symbolic, would have been up to par for this drama... or maybe i just didn't want series to end :P

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Dec 15th, '07, 04:00

This is now one of my all time favorite series.
I think I understand what people are saying about the ending and how it seems to be lacking. I, personally, think the ending fit the story really well. I mean, throughout the story they were always finding each other and the ending makes it seem like it will happen again (since they`re soulmates and all).

The best scenes were when Su-Gyeong dialed Dong-Wuk`s number randomly and when he put the headphone in her ear when she was crying on the bench.
Last edited by soulstar on Mar 6th, '12, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Dec 16th, '07, 23:07

I just finished this show and I am amazed. Soulmate could possibly be my all-time favorite drama. It was so fresh and fun; I don't think any other drama (or comedy-drama at least) can top this one.

The whole soulmate concept was really interesting. The story had me at the edge of my seat from the beginning of the first episode where Shin Dong Wook and Lee Soo Kyung had that dream about each other. I think this was the first romantic comedy that held my interest until the very last second. For the first half I kept thinking, "When are they going to meet??" and then when they finally did I was dying to know if they would end up together or not.

I also loved how the story was told. The non-chronological order of events felt a little weird at first, but once I got used to it I loved it.

Sigh, I was going to finish watching Time Between Dog and Wolf after this, but right now I'm not really in the mood to do anything except listen to the Soulmate OST and cry about how there won't be a Season 2. :cry:

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Dec 17th, '07, 12:08

What makes Soulmate stand out from the Korean romcom crowd is that it doesn't resort to slapstick and toilet humor like the other dramas. There might have been a few references here and there, but the humor is generally intelligent and witty. It's a shame there won't be a season 2 because k-dramas really needs more shows like this. I get tired of seeing a grandmother chasing her grandson around the house, hitting him repeatedly with a broom. Seriously, what's so funny about that? Apparently Koreans think it is.

But yeah, Soulmate is definitely in my top 3 k-dramas and there isn't a single actor/actress in the show who I truly like. I think that says a lot about how good it really is.

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Dec 17th, '07, 19:36

fizzlex3mh wrote: but right now I'm not really in the mood to do anything except listen to the Soulmate OST and cry about how there won't be a Season 2. :cry:
Yeah! The OST is hella good. Lasse Lindh`s C`Mon Through & The Stuff, Sia`s Where I Belong, and Corinne Bailey Rae`s `Till It Happens To You (I just bought her album yesterday) are my favorite tracks.

JlovesVan

soulmates

Post by JlovesVan » Dec 19th, '07, 18:09

I have watched nearly 40 k-dramas and Soulmates is now my favorite!! I loved this drama like I have never loved a drama before. It was absolutely amazing on so many levels. I cried buckets the last part of the drama because it reminded me of my beginning with me and my husband. It was very much like that, not being sure but always running into each other, having parallel lives and even dreams.

Here is why I think this ending works well since many weren't satisified. The conept of soulmates is that you don't have to work that hard to love somebody, you just do and you each know the other does. You both know that if it is meant to be it will and feel confident with this thought. There is no worry about whether you are meant to be. I think the ending allows the audience to have the same faith in the relationship that the characters themselves have. If you believe that fate and the cosmos will bring them back together then they will. By placing them both in Tokyo at the same time the watcher can feel that same destiny and kismet that the couple experiences. I thought it was amazing!!! Loved it, loved it, loved it and would love to see a second season although I am not sure what they would do since this one was perfect!

CaptainHOB

Post by CaptainHOB » Dec 21st, '07, 12:04

Yes but about the ending...
In the last scene with Dong-Wuk in Tokyo (in the videotape sent to his friends), who is behind the camcorder? A friend or maybe... :wink:

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Dec 21st, '07, 16:29

does anyone remember which eps does the quote

There is no such thing as a perfect man and perfect woman in the world.
There is only perfect love built together by imperfect man and imperfect woman.

show up?

i remember it was whenever Yu-jin ditched the dated with the weird guy and rushed to dong-wuk but i can never find it again !!1 :cry:

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Dec 22nd, '07, 11:16

pwner4once wrote:does anyone remember which eps does the quote

There is no such thing as a perfect man and perfect woman in the world.
There is only perfect love built together by imperfect man and imperfect woman.

show up?

i remember it was whenever Yu-jin ditched the dated with the weird guy and rushed to dong-wuk but i can never find it again !!1 :cry:
It`s episode #7.

JlovesVan

Post by JlovesVan » Dec 30th, '07, 06:59

If anyone is interested I found that you can download the mp3 version of the song "The Stuff" from soulmates by Lasse Lindh. He is the same one who sings c'mon through (the love song theme) which you can also purchase here. I loved this OST but these two songs were my favorites!

http://www.last.fm/music/Lasse+Lindh/_/The+Stuff

wuff

Post by wuff » Dec 31st, '07, 14:39

Thank you guys!
I have searched for these singers and I have found them, finally.
Their albums are also great! :)
I am very beholden to the drama, because in this way I was able to get to know them. :D

wuff

Post by wuff » Jan 3rd, '08, 19:49

Hi!

Can anyone please tell me, who sing the final song at the end of the 8th part of the drama?

It is an American song... if I am right... :unsure:

Thank you!

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Jan 4th, '08, 00:39

wuff wrote:Hi!

Can anyone please tell me, who sing the final song at the end of the 8th part of the drama?

It is an American song... if I am right... :unsure:

Thank you!
Peking Laundry- Don`t Turn Away

I don`t think they`re American, though.
Last edited by soulstar on Nov 8th, '12, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Yo man, don`t eat those."

wuff

Post by wuff » Jan 4th, '08, 06:37

Thank you very much!

I have found this song in the OST. I have just donwloaded it! :) and love it! :)

voink

Post by voink » Jan 12th, '08, 12:12

does anyone compiled all the quotes and dating tips from this series?

Jay75317

Post by Jay75317 » Jan 13th, '08, 20:08

does anyone know the title of the song played in episode 11 at about 44:30
I've tried looking up the lyrics and here is some of them but i can't find out the title

that i'm stuck here alone in the dark
and you carry my heart
as we play in our...

Also does anyone know the title of the song played at the end of episode 11 when Ryohei is leaving at 49:30

Thanks in advance :D

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Jan 13th, '08, 22:41

Jay75317,

I can help you out with the first song which is "Since You've Gone" by Laurel Music:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/keq06k

Jay75317

Post by Jay75317 » Jan 14th, '08, 05:48

Ssang wrote:Jay75317,

I can help you out with the first song which is "Since You've Gone" by Laurel Music:

Thanx Ssang for that. No matter how much i looked up lyrics online, i coudn't find the title of the song

Anyone else know of the title (and possibly a download) of the song played at the end of episode 11 when Ryohei is leaving at 49:30

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Jan 14th, '08, 06:05

Jay75317 wrote:
Ssang wrote:Jay75317,

Thanx Ssang for that. No matter how much i looked up lyrics online, i coudn't find the title of the song

Anyone else know of the title (and possibly a download) of the song played at the end of episode 11 when Ryohei is leaving at 49:30
Sia - Where I belong