Emperor of the Sea / Hae Shin (KBS2, 2004/5) *SPOILERS*

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Jules

Emperor of the Sea / Hae Shin (KBS2, 2004/5) *SPOILERS*

Post by Jules » Apr 20th, '05, 08:01

The best drama ever omg XD

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.as ... eos/code-k
Its a historical drama and i watched 36 episodes already.. wont spoil anything! :P

I wanted to translate this but then YesAsia going to sell it anyways so some 1 is going ti rip it (I HOPE!) or unless people requests me to translate first episode (got hooked at first episode).

Its a story of a Ship repair Slave to the person that becomes great and lots of harsh stuff happenss... and its real fun and it has my fav song Ne ga nal thu nah (You left me) sorry for 5hit translation best i can come up with.. by Kim Bum Soo..
only thing bad was they use a 4x year old dude for a 2x-3x year old part.
Lots of action and very good romance. My score is 1337/10 lolz :w00t:

From yesasia..
Based on the life of a true historical figure, Emperor of the Sea is an epic Korean Drama based on a novel by author Choi In Ho. Choi Soo Jong stars as Jang Bo Go, who rises from a lowly slave to the military commander of the sea during the Unified Shilla Dynasty (676~935). Along the way, he battles pirates, and engages in a heated rivalry with Madam Jami (Chae Si Ra), a Shilla noble who squares off against Jang Bo Go for trade rights in the South Sea. Song Il g**k, winner of the 2002 KBS New Actor award, is Yeomjang, Jang Bo Go's charismatic comrade, who supports Jang in his ascension to The Emperor of the Sea. But Yeomjang competes with Jang for the love of Jeong-hwa (Soo-ae)...
Emperor of the Sea is an epic television series in every sense of the word. Besides totaling 50 episodes, the series possesses a budget of 15 billion won, and features many stunning sets and locations. The battle sequences are given epic scope, and computer graphics are used to enhance their scale. But the ultimate focus of Emperor of the Sea is on a single man, Jang Bo Go, and the realization of his destiny: to control the East Asian Sea
its a MUST WATCH! XD
"If you thrive to die you will live, If you wish to live you will die." - Lee Soon Shin.
made sig with paint... so it sucks

Touya
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Touya » Apr 20th, '05, 09:07

^ 40 episodes are out.
episode 41 airs today (4/20)
독도는 한국땅 // DOKDO IS KOREAN TERRITORY

rossier

Re: Hae Shin (god of sea)

Post by rossier » Apr 20th, '05, 09:27

Jules wrote: I wanted to translate this but then YesAsia going to sell it anyways so some 1 is going ti rip it (I HOPE!) or unless people requests me to translate first episode (got hooked at first episode).

its a MUST WATCH! XD
yes please translate it in english, i just love epic drama.... hehehehe :P

if anyone knows other exellent korean epic drama please tell me the tittle.... please... :D

babybeck
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Hae Shin (god of sea)

Post by babybeck » Apr 20th, '05, 18:33

Jules wrote: I wanted to translate this but then YesAsia going to sell it anyways so some 1 is going ti rip it (I HOPE!) or unless people requests me to translate first episode (got hooked at first episode).

its a MUST WATCH! XD
If you do translate the first episode, I'll sub it if you want since I'm having break and all. But the 1st set is coming out really soon though...

I missed the first 10 episodes! Darn. I regretted it. I'm really enjoying this drama right now, and I've looked everywhere for info about this drama, but there isn't much besides soompi...
only thing bad was they use a 4x year old dude for a 2x-3x year old part.
True. Whenever I see him with Soo Ae... I always think of a Father to his Daughter. But He's a great actor though... even thoug I know most people who watch fall for the villian

I think all the main girls in this drama are gorgeous. Soo Ae is so beautiful here! Even Lady Jami (evil lady) is pretty.

Jules

Post by Jules » Apr 20th, '05, 23:01

lol i was laffin my ass off when i saw jemi lolz cuz saw her on korean tv lolz.. so much to translate ~_~ lolz i dont think ill be translating as may 4th is just around the corner :o anyone know where to DL those episodes (i spend $1.25 per 2 episodes and why spend $_$ when its free at clubbox) its only 38 epi out here as they take 1 week delay from Korea to US.. :D I heard hae shin might get a emmy? o__O?
"If you thrive to die you will live, If you wish to live you will die." - Lee Soon Shin.
made sig with paint... so it sucks

AznKrnDramaFantic

Post by AznKrnDramaFantic » Apr 21st, '05, 01:20

I've watched and finished this drama. Very good drama. i've been lookin for the ost of this drama. ne1 know i might find it?

creidesca
Fansubber
Fansubber
United States of America

Post by creidesca » Apr 21st, '05, 01:24

AznKrnDramaFantic wrote:I've watched and finished this drama. Very good drama. i've been lookin for the ost of this drama. ne1 know i might find it?
how can you have finished the drama? It's not even over yet in Korea. You got some special connections?
ENG subs currently working on:
Shitmachi Rocket 2
Family, to the Nth Power
C-dramas in need of transcribing of ENG subs.

AznKrnDramaFantic

Post by AznKrnDramaFantic » Apr 21st, '05, 01:27

i've dLed sometime that said [final] on it o.O Spoiler

Code: Select all

Gahh can't fix it
[/color]*Opps*
Last edited by AznKrnDramaFantic on Apr 21st, '05, 01:38, edited 3 times in total.

SHD
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHD » Apr 21st, '05, 01:30

oh thank you for that spoiler warning.

VietZeus

*Spoiler* Emperor of the Sea. Immoral excuse.

Post by VietZeus » Jul 25th, '05, 19:40

I'm up to espisode 23 of "Emperor of the sea". Anyone who has seen up to this or finish the serie please share some thoughts with me on this:

I think Jung Hwa (pretty lady aka main female character) has feeling for Jung Moon.

At first she suppress her feeling for him by saying: "Jang Boko is the only one I love.. yada yada yada." BUT THEN when Boko got captured she offered herself to save him. I think by offering herself to save him, she excused herself to exercise immoral feeling toward Jung Moon. Yet she made herself look like she is bound by the promise when she had so many opportunities to escape.

What do y'all think?

Maybe episodes later of 23 will review the truth behind her and boko's love but please don't tell me if there is.

I have cable but there are few seeders with the 2nd volume so I'm getting anxious - had to talk it out. :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 26th, '05, 06:01

merged with discussion topic.......
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

Bam-Bam

Emperor of the Sea / Great Series!!

Post by Bam-Bam » Oct 31st, '05, 06:11

No wonder it was so popular. =)

She's so freaking cute. I keep thinking she's Korean version of Marisa Tomei

Download:

http://x-fury.net/?view=index

JCrewz

Post by JCrewz » Nov 19th, '05, 00:49

Argh...sorry but I hate how the story end....it is just not fair...it could had been better than that... :crazy:

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Jan 30th, '06, 21:09

would some kind soul seed batch 1 at http://x-fury.net/?view=index

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Jan 31st, '06, 01:41

someone please seed batch file 1... 13 of us are stuck at 94.4%.... =)

kdramafreak

Post by kdramafreak » Mar 10th, '06, 15:04

Does Anyone know How I can get Vol. 3 For the drama?

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Mar 10th, '06, 15:13

the only thing i could possibly think of is to see if anyone has rumx's files on their clubbox...
good luck... :-(
___________________SARS-Fansubs______________________________________________________

Druid

Emperor of the sea !!!

Post by Druid » Mar 10th, '06, 15:19

You can download this series from ...http://asiandvdclub.org/ if you want Eng-sub and DVD-formed :roll

kdramafreak

Post by kdramafreak » Mar 10th, '06, 23:45

Thanks But I go there to get the first vol and vol 3 didn't show up yet... :unsure: but thanks for the advice. :D

Smelly Tofu

Post by Smelly Tofu » Mar 31st, '06, 21:40

just asking...how exciting is this serie...is it worth spending on?...I really wanna get some historical stuff up in my head

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Apr 1st, '06, 02:19

Smelly Tofu wrote:just asking...how exciting is this serie...is it worth spending on?...I really wanna get some historical stuff up in my head
I would say it's worth it. I'm currently on episode 20, and it just keeps getting better & better. I've heard that the English subs on the Bitwin DVD release doesn't do justice to the actual script, but that's what us non-Korean speakers have to live with. Anyway, the acting here is top-notch. Though the series might drag later (being 51 episodes & all), I wouldn't miss this if I were you.

junebaby

Post by junebaby » Apr 1st, '06, 05:02

This drama is up there with DAE JANG GEUM: its really, really good and the last 20 odd episodes is sheer pleasure. One word of advice; watch it during weekends or you won't get enough sleep !
DON'T MISS THIS !!

Smelly Tofu

Post by Smelly Tofu » Apr 1st, '06, 22:35

Ahhahhaha...It's really that good aye??...Ok I rent it after I finish Kim Sam Soon

furelise
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furelise » Apr 6th, '06, 04:24

hey this looks good, if it's anything like dae jang geum i think i'll love it :-)
just wondered why so few people are watching it, is it because there are alot of episodes? or cuz it cant be downloaded here? :unsure:
ImageImage

jameskm1984

Is it just me??? WARNING *Spoliers* Emperor of the Sea

Post by jameskm1984 » Apr 13th, '06, 05:20

Hey everyone!!! I'm kind of new here, but I just had to get something off my chest. Okay, so I know that Emperor of the Sea is a pretty old drama, but I just finished watching it from cable. Up until the last episode, I would have to say that this was quite possibly one of the best k-dramas I have seen in a long time.

The only problem was the ending!!!! What is up with that??? Was it truly imperative to end the drama the way they did?
I mean, I understand if it was maybe 2 or 3 people that had to die, but come on..... was it really necessary to do away with almost everyone!?!?!?!

To be honest, this seems like it was another typical ending for an Asian film or television show. All the grest Korean dramas such as Shiri, JSA, Beat (really old), Tae Guk Ki etc. have this idea that a main character, a loved one, or someone important has to die in order to create a dramatic effect. Don't get me wrong, I understand that at times the death of a character is needed in order for the story and the impact to be great..... but when this technique is used almost every single time, it really gets cliched. Come on now, is death the only way to get closure????

I might be the only one in this forum that feels this way, but a lot of my korean friends also agree with me. Emperor of the Sea could have ended in greatness and with a positive aspect about karma (since they talked about it so much) and redemption. Instead, they cheapened the ending to make it conform to typical standards.
They created something special and inspirational, but completely killed it. I really hope that this will soon change.

-James

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Is it just me??? WARNING *Spoliers* Emperor of the Sea

Post by techie » Apr 13th, '06, 05:29

Edit note...

I put the spoiler tags around some parts to avoid you getting your head Virtually cut off in here :)
jameskm1984 wrote: They created something special and inspirational, but completely killed it. I really hope that this will soon change.

-James
I agree with KDrama's being this way, but face it, it will not change soon, and most likely never.
As I have said before, this is why I dont like them as much as JDorama and I can barely stand more than one a year or season tops.

This is a typical Korean trate, and very much incorporated as a part of dramas since it is supposedly reflecting much of the national pain of living in a divided, seemingly never ending such divison, of a nation as a whole. (Read boh for South and North division, lets show some pain of the people here)
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

jameskm1984

Post by jameskm1984 » Apr 13th, '06, 06:06

Hey techie! thnx for the edit tags!! Don't want to get banned when I just got started lol. But yeah, it really is sad. But I think it doesn't have to do with the division all that much. Instead, I think it has to do with the the Korean mentality of just following whatever the latest idea or fad is. But hey, that's just how i remembered when i was last there.

JCrewz

Re: Is it just me??? WARNING *Spoliers* Emperor of the Sea

Post by JCrewz » Apr 13th, '06, 06:18

jameskm1984 wrote:Hey everyone!!! I'm kind of new here, but I just had to get something off my chest. Okay, so I know that Emperor of the Sea is a pretty old drama, but I just finished watching it from cable. Up until the last episode, I would have to say that this was quite possibly one of the best k-dramas I have seen in a long time.

The only problem was the ending!!!! What is up with that??? Was it truly imperative to end the drama the way they did?
I mean, I understand if it was maybe 2 or 3 people that had to die, but come on..... was it really necessary to do away with almost everyone!?!?!?!

To be honest, this seems like it was another typical ending for an Asian film or television show. All the grest Korean dramas such as Shiri, JSA, Beat (really old), Tae Guk Ki etc. have this idea that a main character, a loved one, or someone important has to die in order to create a dramatic effect. Don't get me wrong, I understand that at times the death of a character is needed in order for the story and the impact to be great..... but when this technique is used almost every single time, it really gets cliched. Come on now, is death the only way to get closure????

I might be the only one in this forum that feels this way, but a lot of my korean friends also agree with me. Emperor of the Sea could have ended in greatness and with a positive aspect about karma (since they talked about it so much) and redemption. Instead, they cheapened the ending to make it conform to typical standards.
They created something special and inspirational, but completely killed it. I really hope that this will soon change.

-James
I agree with u, the ending is just weird, I just couldn't believe it after I went through 51 series..

alexwinter

Post by alexwinter » Apr 13th, '06, 06:26

Well, just in case of Emperor of the sea, I think you should understand it is based on the historical fact, and that's what happened in reality. Jang Bo Go tried to overthrow the government but failed.
There's no way he could survive not to mention his subordinates.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Jan 20th, '07, 04:35

Loved it. Excellent. Maybe it's because I don't care much about endings - it's what's leading to the ending that matters. Very good story, fast paced and we are talking about 51 ep. What amazes me is that something new develops in every ep. One of those series I won't forget easily - 9.8/10. The less than perfect score is I don't understand why Jung Hwa continually rejected Jang BoGo even tho they loved each other and JBG had become successful and needed a wife and heir! Her excuse is that she is his bad fate - excuse me, is that a good enough reason?

fimfim

Post by fimfim » Jul 13th, '07, 05:17

Just finished watching Emperor of the Sea. Loved watching it, but the ending... :O
and I also don't understand the reason why Jang BoGo and Jungwa don't end up together in the end. They clearly loved each other. Also why did JBG have to marry someone else when he was in love with Jungwa. An explanation would have been nice. She said that everytime she was near him, something bad happened to him, but even though she wasn't with him in the end, he still died. The only reason I could think of that would make some kind of sense is that she was at one point a slave and sold to a brothel. Maybe that traumatized her and caused her to push JBG away. Definitely a tragedy in every sense.

aaron_yume

Post by aaron_yume » Oct 15th, '08, 21:36

Was just wondering if anyone would be interested in me uploading my own DVDrip of Emperor Of The Sea, as I'm currently ripping it for myself anyway (from a friends DVD's). Will be quite a slow gradual process as I'm using x264 codec and will be required to retime the ocr'ed DVD subtitles to my encodes as well as correct any mistakes from the DVD subtitles/OCR process.

File size will be 800mb and resolution will be full DVD resolution of 848x840 with full AC3 audio and embedded soft subtitles.

If there is any interest then I will require someone to help retime the subtitle files. Let me know if your interested.

SeoulxKorean

Post by SeoulxKorean » Oct 17th, '08, 04:53

aaron_yume wrote:Was just wondering if anyone would be interested in me uploading my own DVDrip of Emperor Of The Sea, as I'm currently ripping it for myself anyway (from a friends DVD's). Will be quite a slow gradual process as I'm using x264 codec and will be required to retime the ocr'ed DVD subtitles to my encodes as well as correct any mistakes from the DVD subtitles/OCR process.

File size will be 800mb and resolution will be full DVD resolution of 848x840 with full AC3 audio and embedded soft subtitles.

If there is any interest then I will require someone to help retime the subtitle files. Let me know if your interested.
I'll love you forever if you can upload it. I made a post here ( http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_66351.htm ) asking for where I could find torrents for it.

loiste

Post by loiste » Oct 23rd, '08, 06:03

aaron_yume wrote:Was just wondering if anyone would be interested in me uploading my own DVDrip of Emperor Of The Sea, as I'm currently ripping it for myself anyway (from a friends DVD's). Will be quite a slow gradual process as I'm using x264 codec and will be required to retime the ocr'ed DVD subtitles to my encodes as well as correct any mistakes from the DVD subtitles/OCR process.

it would be great if you can do it :)

xk

Post by xk » Oct 23rd, '08, 19:59

^ Just go to the link SeoulxKorean posted up above. They are at clubbox and those have real good quality video. I've got stunned..... It is way better than most other Ental videos.

loiste

Post by loiste » Oct 24th, '08, 09:15

xk wrote:^ Just go to the link SeoulxKorean posted up above. They are at clubbox and those have real good quality video. I've got stunned..... It is way better than most other Ental videos.
I'd try to register at clubbox again once I get home.
Could you tell me in advance please what's the quality of those videos?
Resolution and Size.

xk

Post by xk » Oct 24th, '08, 12:37

loiste wrote:
xk wrote:^ Just go to the link SeoulxKorean posted up above. They are at clubbox and those have real good quality video. I've got stunned..... It is way better than most other Ental videos.
Resolution and Size.
- Compressed from KBS2-HD source.
- The video resolution is: 720 x 408. 714MB per episode.
- Sharpness and crispness is very impressive.
- Strong deep blacks.
- Almost no video artifacts in the motion in the daytime.

Not only this one has higher resolution than that of most Ental dramas but also the picture sharpness and depth are better. They are also stable as hell, good PQ all the way through. This is in the class of Shinhwa-quality video. Someone did real good job encoding this... I am so thankful. :mrgreen:

loiste

Post by loiste » Oct 24th, '08, 12:46

xk wrote:
loiste wrote:
Resolution and Size.
- Strong deep blacks.

Not only this one has higher resolution than that of most Ental dramas but also the picture sharpness and depth are better. They are also stable as hell, good PQ all the way through. This is in the class of Shinhwa-quality video. Someone did real good job encoding this... I am so thankful. :mrgreen:

wow..then I definitely should get this!!))
thanks for detailed info :)

xk

Post by xk » Oct 24th, '08, 13:17

loiste wrote:
xk wrote:
loiste wrote:
Resolution and Size.
- Strong deep blacks.

You're welcome. :lol I'm gonna post some pictures from my plasma later today. :mrgreen:

loiste

Post by loiste » Oct 27th, '08, 06:47

xk wrote:
loiste wrote:
xk wrote:
- Strong deep blacks.

You're welcome. :lol I'm gonna post some pictures from my plasma later today. :mrgreen:

I got them from that link. Thanks to everyone for it, it's fantastic! :)

loiste

Post by loiste » Oct 27th, '08, 11:34

I have a question.

In subtitles, Yon calls Jang Bogo "Gong book". But he says at this moment something like "Sou". What does it mean?

loiste

Post by loiste » Nov 2nd, '08, 09:11

xk wrote:
loiste wrote:
xk wrote:
i got it finally, it's ok :)

heralva97

Post by heralva97 » Jan 1st, '09, 04:02

Please seed Emperor Of The Sea

chifromsweden

Post by chifromsweden » Jul 3rd, '10, 10:50

Where can I download this? :cry: