RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE KDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 25th, '11, 17:13

Oh right i forgott WYH and FC.

LSky

Post by LSky » Aug 25th, '11, 23:18

So I watched Secret Garden first, then 49 days, then Oh! My Lady. They were all great and I always couldn't wait to see the next episode. However, now I am at a loss where to continue. I've made it through to episode 12 or so from Full House (2004), but it's just too awful to continue watching. I tried the first or first two episodes from City Hall, My Girl, Prosecutor Princess, 1st Shop of Coffee Prince, You're Beautiful and the Japanese Love Revolution. However, I can't seem to get into them. Do I need to have more patience? At the moment I'm in the process of trying to get into Boys Before Flowers, which seems alright for starters, but it also seems a little too surreal and slightly childish (it's high school, go figure). The first three I mentioned were all great from the start, but these others are just hard to get into somehow. Any recommendations on where to go from here?

JonnyK87

New to K-Drama. What to watch.

Post by JonnyK87 » Aug 26th, '11, 05:10

I'm new to K-Drama. Any suggestion on what to watch?

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 28th, '11, 02:03

LSky wrote:So I watched Secret Garden first, then 49 days, then Oh! My Lady. They were all great and I always couldn't wait to see the next episode. However, now I am at a loss where to continue. I've made it through to episode 12 or so from Full House (2004), but it's just too awful to continue watching. I tried the first or first two episodes from City Hall, My Girl, Prosecutor Princess, 1st Shop of Coffee Prince, You're Beautiful and the Japanese Love Revolution. However, I can't seem to get into them. Do I need to have more patience? At the moment I'm in the process of trying to get into Boys Before Flowers, which seems alright for starters, but it also seems a little too surreal and slightly childish (it's high school, go figure). The first three I mentioned were all great from the start, but these others are just hard to get into somehow. Any recommendations on where to go from here?
Well the korean version of BOF is the worst of them all (there are 4 versions : japanese, korean, taiwanese and china-mainland, at least i think its a mainland-version). This was one of the dramas, which i almost dropped.
Try these dramas:
Fantasy Couple
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (one of the veeeery few fantasy-romcoms)
Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Take care of Agasshi (some like it, some not...i for my part liked it)
That Fool (my second kdrama^^ and still one of my favorites)
City Hunter (not a romcom, bit addictiv for the most parts)
The Greatest Love
Lie to Me
Vinyeyard Man (was very good, but i had not the addiction-feeling with this one)

i don't know if you will like these, because you dropped very good dramas like City Hall and Coffee Prince, but you can try out

@JonnyK87
You can try out the list i posted. Add the dramas LSky mentioned in the quoted section.

LSky

Post by LSky » Aug 28th, '11, 08:03

Silverman wrote:
LSky wrote:So I watched Secret Garden first, then 49 days, then Oh! My Lady. They were all great and I always couldn't wait to see the next episode. However, now I am at a loss where to continue. I've made it through to episode 12 or so from Full House (2004), but it's just too awful to continue watching. I tried the first or first two episodes from City Hall, My Girl, Prosecutor Princess, 1st Shop of Coffee Prince, You're Beautiful and the Japanese Love Revolution. However, I can't seem to get into them. Do I need to have more patience? At the moment I'm in the process of trying to get into Boys Before Flowers, which seems alright for starters, but it also seems a little too surreal and slightly childish (it's high school, go figure). The first three I mentioned were all great from the start, but these others are just hard to get into somehow. Any recommendations on where to go from here?
Well the korean version of BOF is the worst of them all (there are 4 versions : japanese, korean, taiwanese and china-mainland, at least i think its a mainland-version). This was one of the dramas, which i almost dropped.
Try these dramas:
Fantasy Couple
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (one of the veeeery few fantasy-romcoms)
Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Take care of Agasshi (some like it, some not...i for my part liked it)
That Fool (my second kdrama^^ and still one of my favorites)
City Hunter (not a romcom, bit addictiv for the most parts)
The Greatest Love
Lie to Me
Vinyeyard Man (was very good, but i had not the addiction-feeling with this one)

i don't know if you will like these, because you dropped very good dramas like City Hall and Coffee Prince, but you can try out

@JonnyK87
You can try out the list i posted. Add the dramas LSky mentioned in the quoted section
Thanks! I will give these a try.

Orange_Guy

Post by Orange_Guy » Aug 28th, '11, 14:28

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, probably not sry lol, but after watching 49 days i searched for other Lee Yo Won kdramas and i'm currently watching Queen Seon Deok, but can't seem to find pure heart from 2001 and the plot sounds interesting, anyone knows where to find? Thanks in advance :D

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 28th, '11, 19:22

Orange_Guy wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, probably not sry lol, but after watching 49 days i searched for other Lee Yo Won kdramas and i'm currently watching Queen Seon Deok, but can't seem to find pure heart from 2001 and the plot sounds interesting, anyone knows where to find? Thanks in advance :D
Not sure that it's possible to find a drama that old(especially if it wasn't a huge hit back then). At least in my sources it wasn't.

And, Ethlenn, darling. Good to have you back here! I missed you. A bit. Only a bit because I was working most of the time you were gone.
..but here I am, asking for favors again - Ethlenn, save me from this misery! Give me something addictive. I struggled through Thorn Birds(at this moment, I am watching 18th episode but can't wait for it to end). Image

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Aug 28th, '11, 20:13

Orange_Guy wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, probably not sry lol, but after watching 49 days i searched for other Lee Yo Won kdramas and i'm currently watching Queen Seon Deok, but can't seem to find pure heart from 2001 and the plot sounds interesting, anyone knows where to find? Thanks in advance :D
I don't know about "Pure Heart" , It's old but hope someone else can help you about that !
If you want something else with LYW , I can suggest "Surgeon Bong Dalhee" it's medical kdrama , one of my fav, LYW did an awsome job, there's also "Fashion 70" which isn't bad ( with Jo JinMo :wub: )
:cheers:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 29th, '11, 14:18

Neliets wrote:
Not sure that it's possible to find a drama that old(especially if it wasn't a huge hit back then). At least in my sources it wasn't.

And, Ethlenn, darling. Good to have you back here! I missed you. A bit. Only a bit because I was working most of the time you were gone.
..but here I am, asking for favors again - Ethlenn, save me from this misery! Give me something addictive. I struggled through Thorn Birds(at this moment, I am watching 18th episode but can't wait for it to end). Image
Help! ;D
What I have in mind is something good and dramatic like Resurrection, Sorry, I Love you, A Love To Kill, What Happened in Bali etc. If you got anything else addictive - bring it on!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 29th, '11, 14:50

Hmm.. Protect The Boss is fluff and nice, Scent of a Woman is a melo.
If not, try Freeze.
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

Orange_Guy

Post by Orange_Guy » Aug 29th, '11, 16:32

Neliets wrote:
Neliets wrote:

Help! ;D
What I have in mind is something good and dramatic like Resurrection, Sorry, I Love you, A Love To Kill, What Happened in Bali etc. If you got anything else addictive - bring it on!
Is what happened in Bali good? I struggled in the first episode, and didn't like the plot, if it is at least half as good as the others you mentioned i'm willing to give it a try.
And for the ongoing dramas, yeah Scent of a Woman is a melo but it kind of doesn't have the same feeling as other, if you understand what i mean, maybe this second half of the drama will give a more melo feeling to the series.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 29th, '11, 17:04

This is what I thought about What Happened in Bali
Jubies33, actually, I started What Happened in Bali few days ago. At first it was quite boring and so on. But later it did get better. I'm now at 17th episode and I do like it, and quite a lot, actually.
As I remember it now, it was really good :D Maybe if we compare to some crappy shows that I have been bumping into these days. I do recommend it.

Oh, and if you are looking for that kind of dramas then there is Que Sera Sera, too, which was very good. Cain And Abel(watchable), Time Between A Dog and Wolf, Snow Queen(not very interesting drama)... ahhh, many more :D

chikha

Post by chikha » Aug 30th, '11, 07:13

Do you know any korean drama that involves cooking that is good? I have watch kim sam soon, Gourmet and Pasta already. Any suggestions? :-)

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Aug 30th, '11, 09:31

May be "King of Baking" ? (don't know it it's good , didnt watch it )

Hurtz

Post by Hurtz » Sep 8th, '11, 07:45

Can you give me some recommendations on what i should watch next?

Liked: Secret Garden, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, Dream High, Baker King (Kim Tak Goo).

Couldnt get into: You're Beautiful, Cinderella's sister, Boys over Flowers.

Ok, but not cant die for: Coffee House, Gourmet.

Also any decent Romance/Fantasy/Comedy genre Kdrama?

Thanks~

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 8th, '11, 13:37

Hurtz wrote: Also any decent Romance/Fantasy/Comedy genre Kdrama?
I would also like to watch more dramas from this genre. In this combination the only kdramas ive seen and watched so far were:
Secret Garden (you watched this already)
My GF is a Gumiho (you watched this already)
Who are you? (not great, but OK)
Come Back Soon-Ae (also not too great)
49 days (its more or less a Romance/fantasy/Comedy/melodrama, but the comedy part is not too big-overall a good drama)

Hurtz wrote:Can you give me some recommendations on what i should watch next?

Liked: Secret Garden, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, Dream High, Baker King (Kim Tak Goo).

Couldnt get into: You're Beautiful, Cinderella's sister, Boys over Flowers.

Ok, but not cant die for: Coffee House, Gourmet.
try
That Fool
Oh my lady
Sungkyunkwan Scandal

All of Yoon Eun Hye dramas:
Vineyard Man -good but not too great
Lie to Me - good, her latest drama, great actors
Coffee Prince - a genderbender-story, the most people liked this
Take care of Agasshi -the Oska-actor is here mainlead, i liked it, but a lot of people said its to stereotypical
Goong(Princess Hours) - a lot of people like this one, i for my part...not so much. But you can count this one almost as romcom/fantasy...well the setting is a modern world, where the monarchy of South Korea is still established (this is also where the fantasy-part ends)
Also try the Hong-Sisters-dramas, which are pure shallow romcoms. Some people like it some people hate it. Example: The Greatest Love, My Girl, Couple of Fantasy. But they were also screenwriters for My GF is a Gumiho and You're Beautiful.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 8th, '11, 16:48

chikha wrote:Do you know any korean drama that involves cooking that is good? I have watch kim sam soon, Gourmet and Pasta already. Any suggestions? :-)
Which Yoo Hee, Shining Inheritance(even though there isn't much cooking going on)

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Sep 8th, '11, 22:16

Just wondering if there is a drama similar like a spanish soap opera called Betty La Fea (click here if you dont know what the show is about). The colombian version still holds a special place in my heart when I first saw it 2 years ago. I know there has been adaptations of this drama in India, Turkey, Russia, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Spain, US, Greece, Belguim, Croati/Serbia, Vietnam, Czech Republic, Philippines, China, Poland, Brazil, and Georgia. Ive watched the Colombian, Mexico, some of Spain, The US version...major disappointment...and some of Russia's version.
Image :wub: :alcoholic: TW Drama: Whos the One

Orange_Guy

Post by Orange_Guy » Sep 9th, '11, 00:31

Thank you all for the recommendations.
I've read the last posts and everyone seems to enjoy Coffee Prince and dislike Coffee House, with me was precisely the opposite.

esmer86 hmm Snow White maybe? Or the well known My Name is Kim Sam-Soon? Can't think of anything more.
Oh and the recently finished baby-faced beauty which i didnt watch but it seems more similar to Ugly Betty than the mentioned above, the main character is a fashion designer so the plot should be similar.

folie a deux

Post by folie a deux » Sep 9th, '11, 01:32

Hi! Here is my suggestions:

Tamra the Island (Director's Cut) - you may freak out at the first few episodes, but it becomes better along the way. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
*if you want a review, go check "thundie's prattle" webpage.

video link: http://kwenchana.weebly.com/53456452084 ... 45796.html

Enjoy!

White Reflection

Post by White Reflection » Sep 13th, '11, 06:17

about the Korean Drama on 2011

Mostly I like these: ^^

1- Queen of Reversals
2- Gloria
3- Midas
4- Lie to Me
5- 49 Days
6- Protect the Boss
7- Scent of a Woman

Thanks a lot. ^^
Last edited by White Reflection on Sep 14th, '11, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.

jyashina

Post by jyashina » Sep 13th, '11, 23:03

Can anyone tell me something I could watch that has as much affection as endless love (Taiwanese drama) and Coffee Prince (Korean Drama).
I love affection. I wish I could see more in these other dramas.

Thanks Guys!

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 14th, '11, 00:04

I havent watched Endless Love, so i can just judge from Coffee Prince.
You can watch:

Sungkyunkwan Scandal - its a genderbender-drama like Coffee Prince, but also a perioddrama. Its a similar affection between the mainleads like in Coffeeprince

Scent of a Woman- i'm watching it at this moment and i like it so far and the leads show a lot of affection

Personal Taste/Personal Preference-a good drama wit Lee Min ho, one of the few men, who would tempt me to change my personal preference (damn that was gay, after this post i have to wake up my gf...just to be sure)

They all have some degree of longing and not like a lot of dramas with the plot: boy meets girl, they cant stand each other and the one day to another they are madly in love and come together.

@ White reflection: who is this in your avatar?

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Sep 14th, '11, 02:03

jyashina wrote:Can anyone tell me something I could watch that has as much affection as endless love (Taiwanese drama) and Coffee Prince (Korean Drama).
I love affection. I wish I could see more in these other dramas.

Thanks Guys!
If by affection you mean skinship (touching and kissing), it's still pretty scarce in Asian dramas. From more recent ones I Need Romance had lots and lots of face sucking, but I don't know if I want to recommend that drama to anyone. Since you like Taiwanese dramas, there's Devil Beside You (well, anything with Mike He in it will have some action) that springs to mind.
Other dramas that have more than a peck on the lips: Goong (tho you have to wait, like, 20 episodes to get there), My Sweet Seoul, Que Sera Sera (don't watch it, tho, it sucks!), Lie To Me. I'm not sure if you can call the skinship in these dramas "affectionate", but at least they got some.

If you meant something else, ignore everything I said above. :P

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 15th, '11, 13:00

Which "supernatural" Kdramas are out there? The ones i know are:
Gumiho
Gumihos Revenge
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho
Secret Garden
Come Back Soon-Ae
49 days
Who are you?
X-Files
Does anybody know more of these dramas? I know there are a lot of movies of this kind (well or at least i know about 10 of them, horror-movies not included), but dramas...are kind of rare.

p.s.
I know this is a asian-drama forum, but still why isnt there a movie-section? Or does anybody know a few good asian-movie forums (please a p.m. @ me).

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 15th, '11, 13:06

Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 16th, '11, 17:27

We all know the top 100 dramas of the last 10 years (watched them, heard about them). All of them are listed in this forum in the top 50+50 thread. But does anyone know underrated and less known dramas, which are good or at least watchable? Ok the less known dramas, are less likely to be subbed, so its almost impossible for the western audience to know or watched them. But still, does anyone know a few treasures?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 16th, '11, 17:30

Gibang Medical Cinema. That will NEVER be subbed.

ng0cnguy3n

Post by ng0cnguy3n » Sep 18th, '11, 01:17

I finished Jumong about a month ago and I was iffy at first about the number of episodes but by the time I got near the end, I wish it had been longer or gone on forever cause I just couldn't bear to have it end. The drama is still lingering in my mind til this day. It's really the best drama I've seen so far, and I've seen A LOT (76 to be exact...) I was mainly a romantic/comedy person so I had been hesitant about Jumong at first but a good drama is a good drama regardless of what category it falls into. I absolutely loved it, which is why I've been searching for another good historical drama to watch. Is there anyone else who loved Jumong as much as I did and can recommend another historical drama you found just as good?

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Sep 20th, '11, 20:39

i haven't seen jumong yet but since you recommend it so highly i might just check it out. I recently watched chuno and even though i am not much of a Lee Da Hae fan I have to admit she was good here. This is the one and only historical drama I have watched(besides SKKS,a saeguk) but I would heartily recommend this one.

iyashina- for affection I would recommend protect the boss it is really cute and funny. I even like seriously like the "villains" aka parents and ex girlfriend. I woulld also recommend secret garden,the greatest love, baby-faced beauty,my name is kim-sam soon, city hall,can't lose. I don't know about anyone else but I could really feel the love in these dramas.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 21st, '11, 12:17

I'm also a rom/com-person (at least for dramas, in movies i'm more of a serious-movies kind of person), but i also liked Painter in the Wind, Queen Seon Duk and Hwang Yin Ji, so perhaps you can also check these three out. Even if their endings are not all sunshine-rainbow-unikorn-like, but at least almost all makes sense.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '11, 12:40

Two sageuks and one taeha on your list... hmm... I guess not everyone can stand 62 episode drama.
Last 10 epiosdes of Seondeok were pure torture to watch, made no sense at all. But in overall good drama. :mrgreen:

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Sep 23rd, '11, 06:53

Because it's four years old I'm sure it's been recommended before but I have to say that Thank You with Jang Hyuk and Gong Hyo Jin is a must watch. At it's heart what makes it so special is an invisible inaudible deep soulful haunting wail encompassing all of the pain anguish fear sorrow joy hope and love of these wonderful characters that only becomes audible if you watch and listen carefully it's in every word said and not said every action taken and not taken if you notice then it grabs your soul like a banshee and doesn't let go. That being said not everyone will love it as I do some will find it boring some will probably hate it but still everyone needs to see it so they have the opportunity to love or hate it.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 23rd, '11, 08:39

Ethlenn wrote:Two sageuks and one taeha on your list... hmm... I guess not everyone can stand 62 episode drama.
Last 10 epiosdes of Seondeok were pure torture to watch, made no sense at all. But in overall good drama. :mrgreen:
Well it took a few months for me to watch these^^.

nome

Post by nome » Sep 23rd, '11, 17:01

I've come to ask for your help once again! :D Now that I've watched a few more drama series (I've just recently started watching Kdrama) I now better what I'd like to see. So here's what I've watched:
-Boys over flowers
-Coffee Prince
-Dream High
-Lie to me
-Playful kiss
-Secret Garden
I've also watched a few episodes of Goong and Personal taste but haven't finished them yet. (Goong especially seems super boring to me... And I kind of hate Son Ye Jin in Personal taste)

I just love series where the guy chases the girl. Secret Garden was so good... (Although I think all the body swapping things were unnecessary) So something with that kind of storyline is what I'm looking for. Dream high was also good but a little too light on the romance. :D
(I'm currently watching Ikemen desu ne so I don't think I'll watch You're beautiful at least until the japanese version ends.)

Thank you in advance! :)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 23rd, '11, 22:12

Dramas, where Boy/Man chases after Girl/Woman.
The Greatest Love - there is more in the chasing-department, than in the average romcom
Baby-faced Beauty - here is also a lot of chasing involved
One Mom, Three Dads - 4 guys at once chase after the girl. But this drama is a little bit light on the romance. Also some people hat this drama, some people like this drama.So you have to see for yourself.
Lawyers of Korea - not a bad drama, but also not a must watch
Protect the Boss - one of the very few dramas, where the man tries to chase after a woman, who doesnt have a romantic interest in him at the point where the chase starts.

There are a lot dramas, where the boy is the first one to "really" like the girl and tries to woo her, but they are most of the time mutual in love with each other, so that they just "come together" somehow, after they experienced hardships together. In the dramas i listed, the male lead chases more aggressive after the female lead.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 26th, '11, 18:07

Give me something addictive to watch. I'm in a need of addictive Kdrama.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 26th, '11, 18:55

Hello.
Can someone recommend something like Story of a Man/ the Slingslot?

A bit of dark, not necesserally involving this kind of story, (revenge), but clever and dark

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 27th, '11, 15:41

Neliets wrote:Give me something addictive to watch. I'm in a need of addictive Kdrama.
Bump! :D

HALP

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 27th, '11, 20:39

Now you should give some examples. Because nobody knows what you are looking for.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Sep 28th, '11, 03:42

Neliets wrote:
Neliets wrote:Give me something addictive to watch. I'm in a need of addictive Kdrama.

addictive is relative I think but I found both Goong and I really really like, you to be addictive not the best but still addictive for some reason I can't explain

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 28th, '11, 18:17

Sajen16 wrote:
Neliets wrote:

addictive is relative I think but I found both Goong and I really really like, you to be addictive not the best but still addictive for some reason I can't explain
Seen both of them.

Silverman, there is nothing else to add. Be it romantic comedy, suspense, drama or anything else except historical dramas and sit-coms. Anything that made you addicted. Just throw your list in, and I will try to pick one which I haven't seen already. Or else I will have to watch Shining Inheritance for the 3rd time.... Image

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 28th, '11, 19:47

Neliets,

'TELL ME YOU LOVE ME' I think this drama was so underrated. The cast was really good and you won't believe how Kim Rae Won grows into his role. He changes all the time but at the end, even tho it works out, he does not suddently get all happy and laughing but stays within a natural growth of the character.
One of my favourites.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 29th, '11, 13:31

Neliets wrote: Silverman, there is nothing else to add. Be it romantic comedy, suspense, drama or anything else except historical dramas and sit-coms. Anything that made you addicted. Just throw your list in, and I will try to pick one which I haven't seen already. Or else I will have to watch Shining Inheritance for the 3rd time.... Image
Ok I list now he dramas, which were addictive (for me). These dramas are not perfect or are even bad( if you rate them objectively). But they are dramas, where i couldn't wait to see the next episode.

Fantasy Couple
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho
Oh My Lady
Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Take care of Agasshi
That Fool
City Hunter
The Greatest Love
Pick the Stars
49 Days
Personal Taste
The Birth of the Rich
Last Scandal
Cinderella Man
The Bad-Trilogy (Wife, Family, Couple)
Sweet Buns

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Sep 30th, '11, 05:58

THE PRINCESS'S MAN!!!

WildMuffins

Post by WildMuffins » Sep 30th, '11, 06:17

Life is Beautiful - the SBS 2010 series (http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Life_is_Beautiful_(SBS)):
I loved this drama! It's got everything - 4 generations of a family running an inn on Jeju Island; with romance (straight and gay, youth and middle age), a few adorable quirky characters; lots of warmth and humor and drama. Always chases away a bad mood!

WinnythePanda

Post by WinnythePanda » Oct 2nd, '11, 01:53

I need that feeling again, you know what I'm talking about?
That sweet, super innocent, loveeeely feeling you get from watching dramas like <i> Spring Waltz</i>?
AGGHHH, I can't find it anywhere. Han Hyo Joo is just the most innocent thing. I've watched EVERY show she's been in. :$

Oh, reviews wise:
<b>Can you hear my heart?</b>
Good. A little too underrated. I'm in love with Hwang Jung Geum. The plot did get slow at times.
<b>Scent of a Woman</b>
Very sweet. I thought it would be revolutionary but it was pretty standard. The chemistry was incredible.
<b>Greatest Love</b>
The Hong Sisters are METICULOUS script writers. Almost perfect to the tee. But quite shallow.
<b>Lie to Me</b>
So boring. Only appreciated by international fans because it was so gushy. But practically plotless.
<b>Who Are You?/City Hall</b>
WHY ARE THESE DRAMA SO UNAPPRECIATED. Rage. That's all I'm feeling.

I'm thinking of rewatching a drama (which I never do..SO DESPERATE). Should I re-watch:
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, Shining Inheritance, Coffee Prince, You're Beautiful (because I question why everyone found this drama so amazing and I thought it nothing special), or BOF.

Or give me a drama with "that feeling"... please, I'm begging all of you.
Being a drama veteran has its cons. It's hard to find that addictiveness in dramas anymore.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Oct 2nd, '11, 12:17

City Hall is not underrated. Its almost on every toplist of kdramalovers. Can you post more of the dramas, which you watched(or pm). As you said yourself you are quite a drama veteran, so you certainly know or watched the more popular dramas and it would be pointless to recommend you something, without knowing what youve watched,

toenail

Post by toenail » Oct 2nd, '11, 14:47

Sweet and super innocent feeling? Have you watched Secret Garden?
I delayed it because the mystical theme looks cheesy, but don't let it put you off. In the end I regretted I hadn't watched earlier. Keep following, it's very sweet.

Yes I agree City Hall is underrated. It's probably true it's on the toplist of dramalovers, but not many talk about it. Probably because it's about more mature love and all those personal development struggles so it's not fluffy enough for fangirls to go 'kyaaaa... cuteee.. ' like YAB or BOF.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 3rd, '11, 04:27

Whinnypanda.

Try Fantasy Couple. I found it quite lovely and all.
My Princess would qualify, too.
Take Care of The Young Lady.
That Fool? Not sure but it is a great drama nonetheless.

I totally know the feeling what you are talking about, but I am not a fan of that.

WinnythePanda

Post by WinnythePanda » Oct 8th, '11, 20:58

@Neliets
Not the feeling I'm talking about. gahhh
I watched Take Care and My Princess, I didn't particularly enjoy either one.
I'm thinking of just giving up and watching <i>Spring Waltz</i> again. :(

@Silverman
Okay, you asked for it. This is only some I can think of now, I'll put a star beside the ones I enjoyed:
Autumn Tale
Bad Guy
Bad Love
Boys Over Flowers
Dong Yi *
East of Eden
Full House
Goong *
Gourmet
IRIS*
My Girl
Personal Preference
Shining Inheritance
Smile, You*
Take Care of the Young Lady
Coffee Prince*
Three Dads One Mom
You Are My Destiny
You're Beautiful
My Name is Kim Sam Soon
Oh! My lady
Sungkyunkwan Scandal*
Playful Kiss
Tamra the Island*
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho*
Mary Stayed Out all Night
Secret Garden
My Princess
Dream High*
High Kick Through the Roof*
Spring Waltz*
49 Days*
Lie To Me
Greatest Love*
City Hunter*
City Hall*
Heartstrings
The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry*
Who Are You?*
Dae Jang Geum
Scent of a Woman*
Can You Hear My Heart?*

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Oct 8th, '11, 23:28

Your list looks almost like mine. I'll try to help.

Period Dramas:
There i can't help, because i watched just very few of them and i can't give a recommendation (well except queen s. d.).

Action (Iris, CH)
Athena -if you liked IRIS, then Athena is a nobrainer
Powerful Opponents - more on the romcomside, but has some similarities/feeling like CH
My Country Calls - same as PO

Ok now we are heading for romcoms, which are more my terrain. I try to categorize it in subgenres or dramas, which have a similar feeling, like the dramas you liked

Romcoms1 (Hongsisterdramas like The greatest Love)
You liked "My GF is a Gumiho" and TGL, but not YAB and My Girl. Well Try the rest of the Hongdramas. Perhaps there are a few, which you could enjoy.
Hong Gil Dong
Couple of Fantasy (i love this one, but some people don't like HYS)
Hello Miss( well not a Hongdrama, but has a similar feeling, its one with LDH)

Romcom 2 (Fantasy like SG, My GF is a G, Who are you?)
You have listed almost all romance fantasy-dramas i know of, except for "Come back Soon Ae". I for my part didn't like this one, but here is one of the mainleads the actress from Woman who still wants to marry.

Romcom 3(Woman who still wants to marry)
The more "mature" romcoms:
Bad Couple
Last Scandal

Romcoms+romance which i can't categorize, but you can look into them:
Sweet Buns
Wonderful Life
I really really like you
Protect the Boss
Creating destiny (you can compare it to Smile You)
When its at night
Hello My Teacher (with Gong Hyo Jin and the guy from Coffee Prince)
I'm sam (with Park Min Young)
Hero
Great Inheritance (don't mix it with Shining Inheritance, this one is with the guy from can you hear my heart)
Merry Mary
Its OK daddies girl
Hooray for Love (imho underrated)
Whats up Fox
Bad Family

i hope at least a few of them are what you wanted,

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 9th, '11, 05:27

WinnythePanda, how about Dalja's Spring? It stars Chae Rim and Lee Minki, and I found the drama smart and funny. Acting was pretty solid all round, and the OST is very good.
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog | mdl

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Oct 9th, '11, 09:18

Oh yes, Queen of Housewives, was also good.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Oct 12th, '11, 11:56

I'm looking for dramas with a fake "sad-ending", like
Princess man or My GF is a Gumiho
What i mean is, that for example: the viewer thinks, that the hero died or the lovers are forever separated, but after this comes the happy ending.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 12th, '11, 19:52

WinnythePanda, let's cut the crap. Just watch any of these few dramas, they should give you a feeling.

A Love To Kill,
Resurrection,
Sorry, I Love You,
Bad Guy,
The Devil,
Que Sera Sera,
What Happened In Bali.

I could continue this list, but this should be enough. Just pick one and watch it. I don't think that you will be dissapointed. At least I wasn't. But I'm not a 16 year old female(not meant as a offense).

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Oct 12th, '11, 22:56

A love to Kill is just the first half very good...the second one is average and especially the end is very bad, because (don't read, because it spoilers the end)
it has one my top 3 personal unnecessary death-ending. I mean cmon the guy was like 3 minutes from his car away and even in the snow they both lived the WHOLE night. So it was a clear case of doublesuicide...but a total unnecessary one.
. The rest of the dramas are very good.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 13th, '11, 04:18

Silverman wrote:A love to Kill is just the first half very good...the second one is average and especially the end is very bad, because (don't read, because it spoilers the end)
it has one my top 3 personal unnecessary death-ending. I mean cmon the guy was like 3 minutes from his car away and even in the snow they both lived the WHOLE night. So it was a clear case of doublesuicide...but a total unnecessary one.
. The rest of the dramas are very good.
That's exactly what I think, too! I mentioned this on few other topics. I have rewatched A Love To Kill like 4 times already, and every time up to like 12 or 13th episode, where it becomes quite boring. (spoiler contains quite strong spoiler, so if you plan to watch A Love To Kill, don't read it)
Basically, imho, the best part ends when Rain tells Shin Min Ah that he played her. And the worst part starts where his brother wakes up.

ooijanice

Post by ooijanice » Oct 13th, '11, 06:05

I was half heartly looking forward to A Love to Kill.
I think I should shelve it for the time being untill i run out of options....... ha ha ha.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 13th, '11, 11:03

ooijanice wrote:I was half heartly looking forward to A Love to Kill.
I think I should shelve it for the time being untill i run out of options....... ha ha ha.
Why? It's still awesome up to the 12th or 13th episode. It's more than awesome. It's almost perfect.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Oct 17th, '11, 03:07

I'm not sure if this is where to ask but since I don't see a discussion thread I guess it must be. Can someone tell me about Protect the Boss I am thinking about watching it because people seem to like it, but from the description it doesn't seem to have anything new or different or actors I am familiar with. So basically what is it that makes it worthwhile and entertaining?

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 17th, '11, 04:23

Sajen16 wrote:I'm not sure if this is where to ask but since I don't see a discussion thread I guess it must be. Can someone tell me about Protect the Boss I am thinking about watching it because people seem to like it, but from the description it doesn't seem to have anything new or different or actors I am familiar with. So basically what is it that makes it worthwhile and entertaining?
It's entertaining, different and good BUT somewhere in the middle you get quite sick of it. I haven't finished it, I left it at 12th episode and really don't want to pick it up. ;c

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Oct 19th, '11, 14:15

Sajen16 wrote:I'm not sure if this is where to ask but since I don't see a discussion thread I guess it must be. Can someone tell me about Protect the Boss I am thinking about watching it because people seem to like it, but from the description it doesn't seem to have anything new or different or actors I am familiar with. So basically what is it that makes it worthwhile and entertaining?
I must say that it find episodes 9-12 quite slow but in whole, it was good, refreshing, funny, touching and romantic , it's not like other dramas of it's genre because everything goes fast, I mean you don't have to wait much to hear the love revelation, and everyone is saying what's in his mind, I guess you should give it a try !
For me, it's a good drama that I'll rewatch with my pleasure ( well ill skip some episodes :whistling: )
P.s: You may check the review written by Ethlenn in her blog ! :cheers:

constructe

Post by constructe » Oct 20th, '11, 19:37

Best Dramas:

Revenge: (It has a follow on drama I think it may be Devil but I'm not sure)
Gourmet: The Grand Chef
Jumong (Has a follow on drama about his son)
Hong Gildong

Unfortunately this site doesn't have them. There are a few others but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

Other Good ones:

The Devil

Terrible Ones:

Too numerous to list

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 23rd, '11, 09:23

I thought Midas was very underrated. I highly recommend it to any Jang Hyuk or Lee Min Jung fan. Even if you don't like politics you will find this drama incredibly addictive and suspenseful.

constructe

Post by constructe » Oct 24th, '11, 02:34

Oh thanks. I haven't seen that.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 24th, '11, 05:41

constructe wrote:Best Dramas:

Gourmet: The Grand Chef
Really? I didn't think much of the drama. Kim Rae-won does nothing for me. Nam Sang-mi was cute though. I prefer the earlier film adaptation Le Grand Chef - it starred Kim Kang-woo as Sung-chan, and he was adorable in it.

blog | mdl

Skobb

Dramas like GIANT and East Of Eden?

Post by Skobb » Oct 24th, '11, 09:43

I really enjoyed these two dramas, and I was assuming there would be another similar drama out this year.. But I haven't been able to find anything :/
Did I miss it? lol :(

CitrusMan

Post by CitrusMan » Oct 28th, '11, 07:31

Hey guys, kind of new here, and haven't watched a whole lot of dramas yet... I did just get through watching Super Rookie though, and really liked it. Can anyone recommend more stuff with kind of a similar feel to that?

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 28th, '11, 14:15

CitrusMan wrote:Hey guys, kind of new here, and haven't watched a whole lot of dramas yet... I did just get through watching Super Rookie though, and really liked it. Can anyone recommend more stuff with kind of a similar feel to that?
You might want to check out Myung Wol the Spy, it's a serious comedy and it has the same actor in it too (Gang U). I personally found this drama to be quite funny.

Also, if you liked the actress (Mun Jae In) then you should check out Bad Guy which isn't a comedy but it's pretty good.

If you wanna see more dramas written by the same screen writer (who isn't exactly a renowned screen writer) then you can check out Sweet Spy and What Happened in Bali.

CitrusMan

Post by CitrusMan » Oct 28th, '11, 15:06

SpankThatAss wrote:
CitrusMan wrote:Hey guys, kind of new here, and haven't watched a whole lot of dramas yet... I did just get through watching Super Rookie though, and really liked it. Can anyone recommend more stuff with kind of a similar feel to that?
You might want to check out Myung Wol the Spy, it's a serious comedy and it has the same actor in it too (Gang U). I personally found this drama to be quite funny.

Also, if you liked the actress (Mun Jae In) then you should check out Bad Guy which isn't a comedy but it's pretty good.

If you wanna see more dramas written by the same screen writer (who isn't exactly a renowned screen writer) then you can check out Sweet Spy and What Happened in Bali.
Thanks, those look interesting, I'll give them a look. :D

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 28th, '11, 17:53

CitrusMan wrote:
SpankThatAss wrote:

Thanks, those look interesting, I'll give them a look. :D
You better do that. Bad Guy is awesome drama, there is no doubt. What Happened in Bali is good, too(at least I liked it quite a lot).

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 28th, '11, 17:59

SpankThatAss wrote:
Eric's other drama, Que Sera Sera, is also worth checking out. Intense and not like other dramas.

blog | mdl

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Oct 28th, '11, 21:22

@kitty10 Thanks for recommending more dramas with Eric. I have to find the MU for Que Sera Sera if it is as good as or even better than Myung Wol the Spy. I prefer sappy romance comedy or just romance like MMM, BBF, etc. Can anyone recommend more? TIA :)
Now watching: Need to find some new dramas

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 28th, '11, 22:06

iluvasiandrama wrote:@kitty10 Thanks for recommending more dramas with Eric. I have to find the MU for Que Sera Sera if it is as good as or even better than Myung Wol the Spy. I prefer sappy romance comedy or just romance like MMM, BBF, etc. Can anyone recommend more? TIA :)
Que Sera Sera is nothing fluffy or anything like that. Romance... a lot of it... but comedy - hell no. But it's an outstanding drama, nonetheless. I doubt that you would regret watching it.