Arang and the Magistrate (MBC, 2012)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 14th, '12, 17:27

Lludara wrote:This has been a good drama for the most part..though right now I feel a lot of scenes are mostly filler to make it to the 20 mark.
Somehow I feel that Arang is going to give her body up, Sato runs in and somehow in a desperate act to save her stabs his mother with the hair pin...and MY stabs her soul with the sword. Will it happen in ep 19 or possibly even 20? Who knows.. I kinda think they'll save the last episode to wrap everything up nicely, or at least I hope that's the case.

I'm kinda thinking Joo wal will somehow throw himself in front of Arang and sacrifice himself for her, the same way she did for him. It would be sad to see but somehow expected due to all the misdeeds of his life.

I'm hoping the ending finds them back on earth, with both of their memories erased, him as Sato and her strategically placed near him, and somehow the name Arang comes up and jogs his memory. I mean, she already said not to forget Arang, right?!

Who knows, I just hope they aren't reincarnated as siblings, lol!
All in all, for me this is right up there with King 2 hearts, which I also enjoyed because of the emotional roller coaster.
That's how I feel too. I guess there is no way you can escape fillers even in a good drama in kdrama land.
as for me, I really enjoyed Arang as a ghost way more than she is turned into human back again. not sure why, but she was more playful and lively back then and now that she is human (or whatever she is) she is not. she is more like LSR than Arang nowdays even if she says they are two different people.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 14th, '12, 21:29

as to reading Lludara comment:
First for stabing I rather see it as mother overcoming fiery at some moment and kind of frowing herself on the pin. It is more rational in a way that nobody will feel guilty after. Not to mention it will put her with better light at the end as to this point she was portraited as ravenge obsessed woman who abonded her child (give him away and did not look after him when he was with her anyway).
Second, no way they reincarnate them all and put as one happy and memory deprived family. There was hint about Magistrate being prepared to be new Shinigami so this is one possibility, second he remains as he is.
For fiery she rather die and I will not be surprised if her lover/brother die as well (how long was this knife? Can go through both?)
Young Master do not have any reason to protect Arang with his body as she is not supposed to die anyway, and process of possesion do not include stabbing or any other damage to body. Ok he may die in strugle to take her out but that's all.
For Arang that is the most difficult to predict. There are two possibilities, just show that she is leaving her body (and leave heartbroken audience :cry: ) or give some hints about reunion. Well 3rd possibility is to let her stay by electric shock to heart :lol but usually Gods are not so nice, I think My Girl is Guminho was only exception.

But how they are going to drag it through 2 more episodes I have no idea. :unsure:
Well, they did not disappointed me much so far so I am going to belive there is enough plot left.

Her being ghoust just gave more possilities, in fact I was surprised they gave it up so quickly. Body was needed for pseudo love triangle and to move oponents of course but added restrictions on character. Her changing has some logic as in fact she is still the same person and lerning about herself in process, we can even argue that she on deep level start to remember, not memories but behavior. And interactions with people around her make her change as well when she do not need to fight on every step anymore (her life as a ghoust was not easy one). Question is of course what theory you belive: we are predetermined in out character or it is build during process of growing? The answer is in between I think.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 14th, '12, 21:35

Did I read "shinigami"?? Whoa... :blink
Grim Reaper ain't shinigami. Uri Magistrate is a likely candidate to be next Reaper, according to what God Yoo said.
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 15th, '12, 18:44

uh.. I sliped.. I guess I am more used to Japaneese terminology :lol

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 18th, '12, 23:50

Well,
kind of cute ending.. I approve Young Master turned Ripper - elegant and fitting. Arang and Magistrate .. not so much but did not expect easy happy ending anyway.
And pat myself at the back for foreseeing how fiery and ripper will end
Still I will wait for more understanding with subtitles before summary.

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Oct 20th, '12, 17:38

CAN ANY ONE PLEASE explain to me is this a good ending or a bad one, I'm kinda lost here :crazy:
WHY on earth is Ju Wal a grim reaper :scratch: (although i did like the kid and felt really sorry for him and was about to cry when he threw himself of the cliff),but I thought a grim reaper's job is sacred...so how do you make a sinner an angel of death :scratch:
well...the good part at the ending was the reincarnation of Arang and magistrate....mmmm was it a reincarnation ?!! :unsure: I don't know :unsure: why did Arang the child was mad at EO because he drank from this "oblivion" well, if they reincarnated they won't recognize each other with so much detail...right :scratch: I don't know, I'm thinking too much :goggle:
anyways Arang and the Magistrate ended and I liked each part of it till the very end which I can't put together :scratchchin:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 21st, '12, 08:37

dina_nada wrote:a grim reaper's job is sacred...so how do you make a sinner an angel of death :scratch:
Hm, first, Grim Reapers are under Yeomra's rule, that places them in Hell in the first place. Plus, as I understood through the whole story, being a Reaper is not an award, it's more of a repentance, like purgatory. Plus, maknae... eehhm, Juwal did sincerely regretted his crimes (of which he wasn't aware even because of the "spell"), so perhaps this outweighted his condemnation and was given a chance to do sth. For me Reaper's job is the unpleasant one, we saw that they cought ghosts regardless of their pleas and circumstances, without any feelings whatsoever.

I guess the whole reborn story was meant to add just a fluffy feeling to the ending, drama started lightly and ended lightly. Except for Yeomra who didn't get God Yoo's body, mehehehe...
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

jellydonut

Post by jellydonut » Nov 2nd, '12, 04:47

love this