Title: 사랑비 / Sa-rang-bi
Also known as: Love Rain
Genre: Romance, Melodrama
Episodes: 20
Broadcast network: KBS2
Broadcast period: 2012-Mar-26 to 2012-May-29
Air time: Monday & Tuesday 21:55

Synopsis
"Love Rain" depicts a 1970's pure love and a love from the present day at the same time. It shows how the offsprings of a previous ill-fated couple, who met in the 1970s, managed to meet and fall in love. Seo In Ha and Kim Yoon Hee, a art student and a shy beauty, met and fell in love with each other during college in the 1970s but unfortunately their love was fated to never be. Now in the present 21st century Korea, Seo In Ha's son, Seo Joon (a liberal photographer) meets and falls in with the daughter of Kim Yoon Hee, Jung Ha Na, a cheerful and energetic girl who's personality is different from her mother's. Will their love for each other keep them together or will they have to face the same fate as their parents?

Cast
Jang Geun Suk as Seo In Ha in the 70's / Seo Joon (In Ha's son)
Im Yoon Ah as Kim Yoon Hee in the 70's / Jung Ha Na (Yoon Hee's daughter)
Kim Si Hoo as Lee Dong Wook in the 70's / Lee Sun Ho (Dong Wook's son)
Son Eun Seo as Baek Hye Jung in the 70s
Seo In Guk as Kim Chang Mo in the 70's
Hwang Bo Ra as Na In Sook in the 70s
Jung Jin Young as middle-aged Seo In Ha (Seo Joon's Dad)
Lee Mi Sook as middle-aged Kim Yoon Hee (Ha Na's Mom)
Kim Young Kwang as Han Tae Sung
Oh Seung Yoon as Cho Soo

Production Credits
Production Company: Yoon's Color
Director: Yoon Suk Ho
Screenwriter: Oh Soo Yun

Trivia
The drama reunites director Yoon Suk Ho and screenwriter Oh Soo Yun of "Autumn in My Heart" and "Winter Sonata" for the first time in 10 years.
"Love Rain" began filming September 24, 2011. The first day's shooting for 70s era took place at Keimyung University in Daegu, South Korea.
The Japan's Pony Canyon, a subsidiary of Japanese Media Group Fujisankei Communications Group, has bought the broadcasting rights for "Love Rain" ahead of its premiere in Korea at a record high price.
Attachments
Love Rain Poster
Love Rain Poster
0db5f5d7033e0b6717f63dd7c13eaec603dc806e.jpg (55.49 KiB) Viewed 3270 times

ferngully

What do you think of Love Rain?

Post by ferngully » Mar 27th, '12, 08:37

Hi. I just wanted to know what you guys felt about the first episode of Love Rain. :-)

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gilnis » Mar 31st, '12, 10:00

Is it a remake of the Korean movie called "The Classic" (2003)?

ferngully

Post by ferngully » Mar 31st, '12, 11:35

I don't think it is... I haven't watched any episodes though cause according to some reviews its a classic melodrama (the likes of winter sonata) which is not my kind of thing.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 31st, '12, 18:18

Classic plotline:
not modern times - check
jump to modern times - check
impossible love - check
marrying different/unloved people - check
kids of our tragic pair from the past meet - check

But I don't want to spread conspiracy theories.

This is uncannily a drama version of it, with less talented young characters... Classic is a well, classic movie right now, standing on its own rights, with great cast and fabulous music. LR will have The Diva singing again, and that's all.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Apr 2nd, '12, 18:07

I fell asleep 40 minutes in. It was too corny. It felt like a looong MV, frankly. Too much narration (saying sappy things, I am sure) and you can only do "dreamy soft pretty images" so much before it becomes a shampoo commercial.
The characters where either secondary and annoying or the leads, which did not make me care about them or their "romance" at all. It just felt empty somehow. Acting-wise, support cast sucked and the leads didn't try too hard either.

There was just nothing to make me, as a viewer, look forward to what would happen to them or their relationships. They didn't characterize them enough and they therefore didn't give enough for me to want to watch further.

Also, Jang can't let go of the eyeliner. I mean seriously, he even had a liiiittle bit of it here. He needs to learn to be the character and stop clinging to himself and his public image so much. He says he is the happiest when acting, so ACT.

ferngully

Post by ferngully » Apr 5th, '12, 19:30

Phew! I knew it was a right decision not to download the first episode *pats self at the back* otherwise it would be a waste of storage space. I’m still recovering from the trainwreck of You’re my Pet *shivers when recalling Jang Geun Suk as a sexual pet*. I guess I'll have to re-watch You’re Beautiful to remind me of how amazing he can be.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 5th, '12, 21:25

ferngully wrote:Phew! I knew it was a right decision not to download the first episode *pats self at the back* otherwise it would be a waste of storage space. I’m still recovering from the trainwreck of You’re my Pet *shivers when recalling Jang Geun Suk as a sexual pet*. I guess I'll have to re-watch You’re Beautiful to remind me of how amazing he can be.
If you want to remember his "amazingness " ( I just refer to this period of his life as time he cared more about his acting talent than his ego) , then you should watch Beethoven Virus. :whistling:
Also , it's best to start a discussion thread when you are interested in the drama and actually want to discuss it with others. Not just to find out if it's worthy to watch or not. There are other threads for this on DA.

Jazzapple

Post by Jazzapple » Apr 6th, '12, 11:42

Meh, just the fact that JGS plays in this drama is enough for not watching it.
Kinda superficial of me, but I just can't stand him, for no particular reason.
And apparently it isn't a good drama after all, so I won't have regrets anyway. (':

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Apr 6th, '12, 14:31

Unlike you all, for me JGS is the reason why I won't even bother to check this drama out. :D

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 6th, '12, 15:11

Neliets wrote:Unlike you all, for me JGS is the reason why I won't even bother to check this drama out. :D

points at previous post.
I guess he is the reason why most (all?) of posters in this thread (well, so far ) are not watching the drama so you are not alone in this. :whistling:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Apr 6th, '12, 17:44

Issy wrote:
Neliets wrote:Unlike you all, for me JGS is the reason why I won't even bother to check this drama out. :D

points at previous post.
I guess he is the reason why most (all?) of posters in this thread (well, so far ) are not watching the drama so you are not alone in this. :whistling:
But you all like JGS, as far as I know, but I have no such feelings what so ver.

Viande

Post by Viande » Apr 6th, '12, 22:27

Neliets wrote: But you all like JGS, as far as I know, but I have no such feelings what so ver.
Then you clearly haven't followed certain threads here... :whistling:

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Apr 7th, '12, 11:46

Haha everyone still hating him?
Even though I have downloaded the first four episodes of Love Rain, I haven' t watched any of it yet. Probably I will watch it some time in summer... or autumn.. or winter.. when I have nothing else to watch? I am not a fan of sappy love stories and the leads... I have never liked Yoona (I know it' s just prejudice, but she seems fake) and about Jang Geun Suk - I liked him in his movie "Baby and me" and well "You're beautiful" and "Marry me Mary" were OK, but even I think his ego has gotten bigger than he is. I am not going to talk about "You're my pet" as I really loved the original Japanese drama. But as I know that deep under the ego he has great acting skills, then I'm still hoping that he will stop sliding on his ego. So I'm keeping my faith and one day I will watch it.

thatonekoreanboy

Post by thatonekoreanboy » Apr 14th, '12, 17:50

I honestly like it! Even though it does kind of follow that simple love story, you can still enjoy the drama. It's a different kind of drama, like I would much prefer Love Rain over something like Flower Boy Ramen Shop. I absolutely loved Beethoven Virus, so I have no problem watching Jang Geun Suk with his amazing acting.
The past only goes up to episode 4 and then after you fast foward into the future. Then it gets even better. The past itself is great, and it also sets you up for the future. In the future, you can't even recognize ( for the most part) that YoonA and JGS played the characters from the past. All the references they make to the past, make you feel like your in on some kind of inside secret as Yoona and JGS do not realize their parents had some sort of relationship. Not only do the two main characters from the past get older actors, the whole gang gets an older version of themselves and they even sing together again. I think the story itself is very sappy and lovey but I enjoy it. From the unique camera work to the amazing settings, to the acting and the simple "sentimental moments". I might be biased when I say this, but I think this is a very unique drama. It has me hooked and I'm actually pleased that we're going to get 20 episodes :)
So if you enjoyed the whole "Endless Love" Collection or like love stories I promise you'll enjoy this drama~

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 15th, '12, 16:32

The drama isn't that bad but I guess it's typical kdrama cut and paste storyline. Modify here and there.

JGS's character wasn't snobby at all in the 1970's version. But fast forward to 2012 and he's back to his arrogant self LOL

What is quite a revelation is the life of the 1970's. It seems quite brutal to live there. Banned songs (it didn't sound that bad to get it banned?), girls get their dresses measured to make sure they're not too short, guys get their hairs checked by police to make sure it's not too long, curfew time, etc. Talk about a police state. I can't believe all the Korean tax payers went into paying police to harass them.

As for the actors, I think they played it believable enough to distinguish the parents from the children. JGS didn't wear eyeliner in the 1970's. But JGS did wear a bit of eyeliner for 2012. He's pretty much playing himself in 2012 LOL He plays the arrogant fashion obsessed photographer. Yoon Ah goes from weak looking to spunky. It seems kind of pushing it to say she got tuberosis but I guess she's just that weak and easily to get sick.

It also has similar idea to Rooftop prince where the rival continues. But instead of jumping from Josen, it's from 1970's and second generation. Looks like Dong Wok and In Ha's children will be competing for the same girl again in the second generation. The trio that made up of In Ha, Dong Wok and Chang Mo in 1970's is also passed into 2012. But this time the trio is Yoon Hee's child with her 2 friends.

I don't get the 3 seconds falling in love theme though. The writer seems to think it's romantic but I think it's rather cheesy.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 15th, '12, 16:53

seirin wrote: JGS's character wasn't snobby at all in the 1970's version. But fast forward to 2012 and he's back to his arrogant self LOL
seirin wrote:As for the actors, I think they played it believable enough to distinguish the parents from the children. JGS didn't wear eyeliner in the 1970's. But JGS did wear a bit of eyeliner for 2012. He's pretty much playing himself in 2012 LOL He plays the arrogant fashion obsessed photographer. Yoon Ah goes from weak looking to spunky. It seems kind of pushing it to say she got tuberosis but I guess she's just that weak and easily to get sick.

It also has similar idea to Rooftop prince where the rival continues. But instead of jumping from Josen, it's from 1970's and second generation. Looks like Dong Wok and In Ha's children will be competing for the same girl again in the second generation. The trio that made up of In Ha, Dong Wok and Chang Mo in 1970's is also passed into 2012. But this time the trio is Yoon Hee's child with her 2 friends.

I don't get the 3 seconds falling in love theme though. The writer seems to think it's romantic but I think it's rather cheesy.
That's the main reason why I have stayed away from this drama. of course after 9eps of MMM I promised myself never to see JGS in anything else as they are purely made for his promotional sake and not really portraying a character in a storyline. it seems that ego has just gone too big for that guy and he completely forgot that a drama is not his PR weekly show.

in any case, it seems that time jump and time travel drama are the new trend in Korean entertainment . Love Rain, Roof Top prince and even The Equator Man are the ones I am following this season and Time Slip Dr Jin and Queen In Hyun's Man coming soon too.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 15th, '12, 17:21

Issy wrote: That's the main reason why I have stayed away from this drama. of course after 9eps of MMM I promised myself never to see JGS in anything else as they are purely made for his promotional sake and not really portraying a character in a storyline. it seems that ego has just gone too big for that guy and he completely forgot that a drama is not his PR weekly show.
I think you're too harsh on the kid. His arrogance fits with his character for the drama. Since he's suppose to be a talented photographer and his family is rich, he's just portraying generally how those type of people are; eccentric and arrogant. Artists are eccentric, rich people are arrogant.

When he portrayed the 1970's version, he was eccentric, but not arrogant. There were rumours that he was rich, but he lived in such a small room so I think the rumours were unfounded. He's probably not that well off as people gossip about. Hence he wasn't arrogant.

MMM was definitely painful to watch. The whole story was badly written and boring. I blame the writer for it.

JSG's acting is so so. There are better actors I think. I love Lee Sang Woo in Feast of the Gods.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 15th, '12, 19:30

Why is JGS a selfpromoting, arrogant jerk? And i'm asking because i don't know it. I mean he can be a normal guy in RL and it just happened, that he plays an arrogant jerk in every drama. So like Eugene, who plays a naive woman in most of her dramas. I'm pretty sure, that in RL she is a kickass woman, who isn't naive. And as far as i know in most cases the actors present themselves in the public more or less like their drama/moviecharacter(not all, but a lot of them) and not the other way around.
Were there events, which imply that JGS is a arrogant PR-jerk? Like i said, i don't know it, so i'm asking.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 15th, '12, 19:44

Hmm, as long as I've known JGS from his interviews since Hong Gil Dong, he sounds a bit arrogant :lol Or maybe it's his way of hiding the fact he lacks self esteem? From the interview I've read/seen? where he was trying to prove he's friends with Rain, he seemed like a kid who wants to be acknowledged. In that sense I feel he's trying to hide his insecurities by acting arrogant. Or maybe he just likes playing around and pretend he's all that great. I kind of roll my eyes at him when he guest on smap. He's quite a joker. I think you kind of learn not to take him too seriously after awhile. He's just a kid playing/joking around.

From HGD interview, I couldn't believe he more or less said KJW was an old fart :lol by claiming he was the youngest in the drama. I think he said his youth made him stand out compared to KJW. If he that wasn't acting fresh or arrogant, I don't know what is.
Last edited by seirin on Apr 15th, '12, 20:49, edited 3 times in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 15th, '12, 20:14

Well, thank god that I did not use the term "arrogant fashion obsessed guy who is playing himself in the drama" (who is being harsh now?) myself in the first place and Silverman, FYI, no one called his "jerk" so please don't accuse us of doing so.

Now, have I been too harsh on the kid? First of all, he is no kid. Actually for person who claims spending half of his age in this industry and wondering about other same age actors experience when they are praised for their acting ( it also can be called jealousy ), calling him a kid would be a harsh insult. Looking at same age actors and even much younger ones in current dramas and the way they improve with each project, makes you wonder about his talent.
Now, would I be too harsh by saying that his recent dramas were nothing but self promotional weekly shows base on his acting? Bearing in mind that I discovered Korean Dramas through JGS from YAB and my kyaaing posts in his thread are still evidence for all to read, have I seen anything but slef promoting the actor in his later dramas? Hand on my heart, NO!
A sign of a good actor is to make you believe the character not remembering the actor. When every character he does reminds you of JGS you have seen in his photoshots, CMs...how can you say it is him acting the part? And talking about coincidence that since YAB he always being cast as arrogant self obsessed guy.
He was not a great actor for sure but there was a special spark in him in BV and it's gone after YAB. It's such a shame because I was so looking forward to see what would be do in his next projects.
I will change my opinion of him when I see him acting a totally different character. Let's face it, playing an arrogant self obsessed character gets boring after second time. Let alone 3 whole dramas and 1 movie. :whistling:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 15th, '12, 20:44

I think one of the issues people whose not in the industry tend to forget is that acting as a career is pretty tough. You only get roles people give you. Otherwise you have to audition for it. And even if the role is offered to you, it might also be offered to several other actors and you still have to go through auditions. Like any job, you have to be offered the job. You might say "ahh JGS is popular, there's tons of people looking for him to film" In reality, only JGS and his company knows the truth. Are there really many people out there looking for him to film? Also, are the characters offered to him with different variety of roles? He could be type-casted into a certain role so that's what they offered him. Besides roles that get offered to him, there's also the pay issue. It might not be such a good pay. The other role he was offered was lower pay, "Itaewon Murder Case". It was different than his regular roles.

You might assume someone is a big star and should get tons of roles to choose from. But that isn't the case for all actors. At the end of the day, you are only as good the company who is willing to offer you a job.

As for me calling JGS a kid. It's because he acts like a kid. It's not due to the age but the maturity. Even a 6 yr old child like ashida mana, I won't really call a kid. She is a kid and sometimes act like a kid but she be mature as well. Like takuya said to her "are you really a kid? you're sure you're not my senpai?"
Last edited by seirin on Apr 15th, '12, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 15th, '12, 20:47

Asia Prince lost himself in his own delusional bubble of his own greatness. His only "acting" in new dramas since YAB is showing different angles of his face, perfect curl and kawaii smile. This is not acting, this is fan-service and self-indulgence. His ego grew so much he's calling himself World Prince even. Thankyouverymuch, as an European girl I have my share of true princes in my land's history.
He calls himself "an artist/actor" in interviews and looks down on ie. Lee Minho cause the kid is not 20 years in business like The Diva. Who gave him right to do this? Is he Ahn Seonggi or whatever?? Lee Sunjae scorned JKS, it's not like only we are finding faults with this young enrepreneur.
Kawaii act quickly gets old and stinks. Since 2008 he showed absolutely nothing worth any attention. Millions of fangirls biting us for saying that won't change my point of view.
And yes, like Issy, I liked Beethoven then, YAB too, but Beethoven is his only work that he can be proud of.
You're my Pet, MMM, are just the worst in each category.
Love Rain just proves he's not finding dramas to show some talent but to show another perfect shot of a perfect curl.
L'Oreal, he's worth it.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 15th, '12, 21:24

Basically, the bottom line you guys seem to point out is his immaturity and his lack of self esteem to cover his weakness.

If he really thinks he's as good as everyone else, he wouldn't have to step on others to put himself on top. It's when you lack something that you want others to think you're better than you really are. If he had the maturity, he would be able to accept his shortcomings. That's why when he says outrageous things, I don't take him seriously. Hence I think he's a joker at times. You might say it's an insult to call someone in their 20's a kid. But some guys tend to act like children and take a long time to grow out of it if ever.

And as I've said before, actors need to be careful to get stereo-typed into roles. He might already be facing that problem. Maybe he needs to take less paying but better roles again. But are people willing to offer him the odd role and will he accept such a role for low pay is another issue.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 21st, '12, 02:20

Made it up to the end of the episode four.
The only interesting aspect of this drama for me was the retro period, in particular the references to college students living under South Korea's lengthy period of military dictatorship. That got me involved with the characters more than the usual no-context student life in a bubble drama . Otherwise, this is standard cliched fare. Well, some moments go a little beyond that:
"Love means never having to say you're sorry." :doh:
Thanks, Love Rain, I had managed to forget about the most XD -worthy line in all of cinema until you came into my life.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 21st, '12, 02:34

yea it's typical. I think my favorite scene was the awkward scene between the leads with the broken umbrella. Usually it's all perfect and romantic. But this was awkward and sweet. It was admirable for the lead to look for an umbrella he didn't own and it ended up being broken but he still used it anyhow to cover her from the rain while getting wet himself. It's almost as entertaining as rooftop prince scene where the girl text the guy to tell him she likes them, then go out of her way to try and delete the message :lol

Trafford Devil

Post by Trafford Devil » Apr 26th, '12, 11:06

Hmm, I'm surprised that peoples' opinions of this show are so polarized.

I loved the 4 Seasons of Love dramas, so since the same team made this show I'm getting exactly what I want.

I'm thinking the whole 70s arc at the beginning might be putting people off. It's pretty cliche and I don't think the actors really bought into it either as their performances are kind of rigid. But then again that might be the point as they're trying to show how repressed the 70s were.

Jump forward to the modern day and the mood changes completely, the 2 leads are way more natural and there are a lot more laughs.

I don't get all the JGS hate as this is the first show he's acted in that I'm seeing, so maybe I'm not biased like some of you guys seem to be. He seems ok, I really enjoy the chemistry he has with YoonA.

Overall I'm really enjoying this show, beautiful direction and scenes, great banter between the leads and some good old fashioned romance! :wub: :wub: :wub:

leighluv

Post by leighluv » May 1st, '12, 02:22

So, just watched episode 11 of Love Rain, loved it. I can't help but get so wrapped up in the drama of it all. This one is pretty good, but out of all of the dramas that i've watched i gotta say that Iris is the one that caught me off guard. That is one amazing show.

leighluv

Post by leighluv » May 2nd, '12, 23:37

OMG I'M TOTALLY BUGGIN!!!!! Has anyone been up to date with the episodes? Has anyone seen the newest episode? ITS SO GOOD!!!! Let me know what you thought

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 3rd, '12, 14:33

The drama is alright. There's really no surprises. You know Joon will find out sooner or later and so well Hana. How they deal with the situation is fairly predictable I think. Joon and Hana will end up together. Parents usually put their children's happiness before theirs. Also, Yoon Hee isn't greedy. She just wants to spend sometime with In Ha. I feel bad for In Ha and Yoon Hee and I think their love for each other is deeper than Joon and Hana but it's just not meant to be. Yoon Hee's life is just bad luck. Whenever she's about to find happiness, something always happens. Like getting sick when she falls in love. Get married but her husband dies. Finds In Ha later in life, but I think she's losing her eyesight. Her sickness is coming back again.

praine

Post by praine » Jun 2nd, '12, 08:35

I finished this drama in a week and I absolutely loved it.

The beginning was rather corny, idk why i even started with the drama, probably cause I just ended my exams and wanted to try a korean drama and here comes Love Rain with JGS and Yoona, to me, quite an attractive cast. (not even a fan of both of them) The first ep i was like bleh, so corny with the 3 seconds thing. I was even complaining to my mum, but i made it through the first ep, and was brought in to the cast's acting, which i thought was really good. yoona and JGS portrayed their roles in the 70s really well. to the point that when they reached the modern days, i was rather clingy on their parents' relationship rather than on hana and seojun. i love their chemistry, i cried at some parts. and now suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

gotta admit the OST was really good as well. i think people probably didn't appreciate the first 4 eps as i did, once they watched till the 7th/8th episode it starts to get really good.

Froglet

Post by Froglet » Jun 7th, '12, 08:12

any place to get the subtitles?

bobo_w_jb

Post by bobo_w_jb » Jun 9th, '12, 16:00

anyone know where can i get english sub for kor????

chesed

Post by chesed » Jun 11th, '12, 00:55

Eng subs are available on another site. I don't know the rules about posting other urls, but yeah...

I'm on episode... 13 I think?

I'm loving this drama. The only other Korean drama I've seen was Summer Scent, and I enjoyed it too (I usually watch J-dramas). So I guess it makes sense that I would enjoy this one.

I guess it's not for everyone. I really enjoy the sappy love story stuff. Unlike others, I really liked the first four episodes. When it jumped to 2012, I was like wtf??? (I didn't read the synopsis... I don't like watching movie trailers either)

But even the episodes after were great. For a while I was more invested in the initial characters, but I've grown on the present ones. Just like Summer Scent, I find myself yelling at the TV when I get angry about certain situations. I love it. The more emotions, the better. I wish I had more time to watch. Hopefully I'll finish it by the end of this week.

My students suggested that I watch Secret Garden next. I saw the first episode. It didn't capture me the way this one did, but I'll give it more time. I guess I'm just a sucker for sappy love stories.

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Dec 22nd, '12, 14:34

this drama has captured my heart :wub: ..i don't know why some don't like the 70's part (epi 1-4). for me, that's the best part of this drama and i have to admit, i'm a little sad when it ended..anyways, the OST is just great, even my twins are humming with me whenever i try to sing "Love Rain",LOL.. :P

@chesed: Secret Garden is also very good, love that series, too. u should watch it! :-)

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Dec 30th, '12, 07:26

can't get enough of this drama.. :wub:

credits to: KBS
Attachments
love_rain-70s-5.jpg
love_rain-70s-5.jpg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
love_rain-Then&Now.jpg
love_rain-Then&Now.jpg (12.64 KiB) Viewed 2977 times