Friend our legend - (MBC 2009)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
amoozboosh

Friend our legend - (MBC 2009)

Post by amoozboosh » Feb 20th, '12, 14:42

SHOW DETAILS

Title: 친구, 우리들의 전설 / Chingu, Urideurui Jeonseol
Also known as: Friend, Our Legend
Previously known as: 친구, 그 못다 한 이야기 / Friend, The Untold Story / The Unfinished Tale
Genre: Romance, friendship
Episodes: 20
Broadcast network: MBC
Broadcast period: 2009-Jun-27 to 2009-Aug-30
Air time: Saturday 22:50 & Sunday 22:40

SYNOPSIS

Friend, Our Legend is a drama adaptation of the 2001 gangster classic film "Friend" both by the same director, Kwak Kyung Taek. This drama is a gritty, brilliant, star-studded tale of four childhood friends who grow up to become enemies and bitter rivals.

Han Dong Soo (Hyun Bin), Lee Joon Suk (Kim Min Joon of Tazza), Jung Sang Taek (Suh Do Young of Spring Waltz) and Lee Shi Un (Kim Joong Ho) grow up together on the harsh streets of 70s and 80s Busan. Joon Suk and Han Dong Soo soon emerge as leaders, and the four spend every waking moment together, protecting each other, and grow up to be light-hearted teenage delinquents with a distaste for authority.

Fast-forward years later, and that distaste for authority remains, but in a much more dangerous form; now Joon Suk and Dong Soo are leaders of rival mob gangs, and caught between childhood ties and current loyalties. Min Jin Hye of How to Meet a Perfect Neighbour co-stars as Choi Jin Sook, a woman who knew them all as children, and now watches them tear each other apart.

Tightly written and gripping, Friend, Our Legend is highlighted by compelling performances and a beautiful attention to detail.

CAST

Hyun Bin as Han Dong Soo
Kim Min Joon as Lee Joon Suk
Seo Do Young as Jung Sang Taek
Lee Shi A Ho Joong as Kim
Min Ji Hye as Choi Jin Sook
Moon Ga Young as Jin Sook (girl)
Jung Yoo Mi as Min Ji Eun
Geu Rin Bae Sung Ae as Park

EXTENDED CAST

Choo Min Ki as Ki Joong
Jae Yong Lee Sang Gon as
Kim Dong Hyun as (Father of Joon Suk)
Im Kyu Sung and Ru Ko Do
Kim Kyung Rok as Kan Ga Roo
Na Ri Kim Do Yeon as
Jae Hyun Kwon
Min Suk Kwak

EXTERNAL LINKS - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Friend,_Our_Legend

Hello all - I am new to this forum and I am also fairly new to k-drama :-). I wanted to talk about "friend our legend" with the other k-drama addicts and find out what your opinion is. Its such a brilliant series, I am really surprised that the ratings were so low. Its one the best pieces of television art really!

PICTURES
MY THOUGHTS AFTER FINISHING THE SERIES -* WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS

All the sites say that this is a mob/mafia series and I began watching it reluctantly, and only because I like watching anything with Hyun Bin in it. It seems all the websites on this series are wrong, it’s not about the mafia though admittedly that is the plot device used to communicate the story. This is a drama about one man really, and the people he grows up with, the decisions they all make and their repercussions. It is about passionate love, loyalty, betrayal, abandonment, and despair. Its a sweeping tragedy, and no one in this series has it easy.

I have not seen a better drama in an age (English/Korean). This one just had me enthralled. The cast is handpicked, the directing, script, and the cinematography are amazing! The director of this series has really done the extraordinary. There is never too little or too much and the script is tightly woven but at the same time able to lend itself to a feeling of nostalgia, of slow time gone by.

Hyun Bin has truly given the performance of his career thus far. He is stunning as Han Dong Soo. I love his romances and melos but who knew he had it in him to play this role the way he did? His is not a wordy script and right from the start he does not say much, but every scene he is in grabs you by the throat and just sucks you in! The three women play pivotal roles and have stories and motivations of their own; the ultimate Machiavellian villain of the piece Song Gon played by Lee Jae Yong was superb, and Kim Min Joon as Lee Joon Suk, Han Dong Soo’s closest friend turned nemesis, plays his role convincingly and in the end, compellingly.

Its a series that has been made with love, by all concerned, the director, the script writers, the actors, and it has really come together to form a drama that I think I can watch twenty years from now and still feel the emotional punch of it. Considering the fact that I enjoy romantic comedy/drama the most, I did not expect to watch this series through to the end, but now I would recommend it it anyone, k-drama fan or not.
Last edited by amoozboosh on Apr 6th, '12, 18:18, edited 10 times in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 20th, '12, 15:39

I doubt anyone will participate here. This was not a 'hot' drama, but kind of heavy one, no screaming fangirls over it.
Not that many people watched it too.
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

amoozboosh

Post by amoozboosh » Mar 1st, '12, 09:27

Ethlenn wrote:I doubt anyone will participate here. This was not a 'hot' drama, but kind of heavy one, no screaming fangirls over it.
Not that many people watched it too.
This is true. It was not a commercial drama. But it was just such a fantastic emotional drama (not to mention Hyun Bin's gorgeousness & acting) that I decided, someone else must have seen it and fallen in love with it and would have something to say about it. So here's to hoping!