Discussion thread for Tempest: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tempest

Tempest to be made into a 3D movie
English
Tokyograph
Japanese
Cinema Today

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Aug 21st, '11, 02:34

Just started watching this show, and I love Nakama Yukie! I think the cast is great. The triangle of her, the Satsuma agent and her co-worker is very cute. Gackt is kinda scary.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Aug 22nd, '11, 07:10

Is it just me but when they revealed Gackt's character, it reminded me of Orochimaru from Naruto :crazy: . If they ever make a live action of Naruto, Gackt-san is perfect for that role ... though quite creepy.

Anyways, why is this thread so short. Is hardly anyone watching this show?
Waiting:
J: WatashiGaRenaiDekinaiRiyuu, HimitsuErika, NankyokuTairiku, KaseifuNoMita, NazotokiDinner
K: TreeWithDeepRoots, FlowerShop, Me2Flower
C: InTimeWithYou

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Aug 23rd, '11, 19:58

This series is so beautiful I wanna watch more and more of it... and Namie's ending just tops it.. the cast is excellent~

gracefulmoonie

Post by gracefulmoonie » Aug 30th, '11, 03:34

This show is awesome... I love this show.
Nakama Yukie is so different from her other dramas.
She was probably only this series in her guest starring role in Mr. Brain.

I also love Tanihara Shosuke as the samurai lover.
They were husband and wife in Erai Tokoro ni Totsuide Shimatta! (I've Been Married To Hell!)
They were super funny in that drama, but now they are so serious and romantic in here.
Wondered if a lot of people are watching this series or not, since the thread is so quiet.

Will continue watching it next week until the end.

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Aug 30th, '11, 08:21

I may have to find Erai Tokoro ni Totsuide Shimatta so that I can see them in a comedy. They have such chemistry to watch. I do feel a little sorry for her friend, who loves her so,
but betrays her due to Gackt's character
I can't wait for the next episode, to see what happens next. I loved it when all her co-workers claimed she could dance. They really must have been jealous of her abilities.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Sep 11th, '11, 23:04

Too bad this drama isn't being discussed more.. it's so good... I haven't been this drawn to a series since... Love Shuffle (that show really pulled me in) and handsome Tanihara is in both #><#!!!!
It's crazy how even as people think of her as am an she still draws them in... I think she lets off some kinda feminanity that makes them attracted to her.. I never thought like "Omg they're gay!!" like how that dude from HanaKimi feels... but like, I think it is due to some feminine aspect that many males are drawn to her... and we see no women has been yet. To me, even as a man she's so graceful. There's definitely an obvious difference when she's Mazuru as they are practically 2 different people but there's still some type of beauty they both hold.. I think it's just physically. They both still share the same traits because no matter what, they're both the same person... even I'm strangely drawn to Neion #;_;#

But I fee so bad for her though...she has no gender pretty much. The only way she can live is for Ryukyu... even if it means switching genders. She has to pretend being a girl even though she is one since she was like..10 or something, she's been pretending to be a guy. She really is a selfless person in the end.. she rejects her own feelings for the country.. never seen patriotism in this kinda form and it's expressed very beautifully yet sadly too...
Still though the ending song and the simple closing video just really... tops it off.

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Sep 12th, '11, 13:04

I agree with what you've said above, I do love the fact that
the king admitted that (like Choukun) he was attracted to Son Neion. And how he was so happy to find a woman who looked like him. I did feel sorry for him a bit because when she gives herself to him, I think he realizes that there's someone else she loves. As much as she loves her country and the king, and will do anything he says, the Mazuru part of her heart is somewhere else.

I think that the woman who is offically the King's wife, is the most selfless women I've seen. Wth only a couple episodes left I'm curious how well she's going to handle Mazuru's constant 'visits' with the king. Right now she's okay with it, but to have Son Neion around, Mazuru is going to be very absent. I do like her though. She seems to have her head on straight, and is a good partner for the king.

I want to know what's going to happen with the necklace...
or will that have to wait until the movie?

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Sep 12th, '11, 14:20

Oh yeah that's right there's gonna be a movie... Well I reeeeeally can't wait for it!

Lol I actually forgot who his wife is >__> Though officially she would have to deal with the king being with Mazuru and the other lady.. so yeah she kinda has to be selfless ( since well... that's how it's always been. They're just some extra women on the side that will increase his chances in having an heir) but jealousy can take a toll with her. I mean, the ultimate role for these females are being child-bearers... and we can see why Mazuru knows that it's useless being a woman (but thanks to being born woman, she was able to go back to Ryukyu so it was useful but sadly kinda plays with the stereotype that 'women are sly, cunning creatures..."

Yeah I think the king also knows that she will never really love him as regular man/woman since her love towards him is pretty much like dedication for Ryukyu... But I think she's scared to love as a woman because of the dedication she has for her country ;_; especially towards Asakura... I really want to see how this will play out since eppy 9 preview seems to be intense.

Yeah I do wonder how is Mazuru going be played out now since Neion is back... Oh and as much as I admire Gackt, I'm soooo glad he's outta the show ><! His character was just too bothersome grrrrr. I think he was the only person I really didn't see having any complexity. Even Ookimi had more dimension. The audience could actually pity her and not completely dislike her.
Yaay someone else who likes the show ^^ It's such a beautiful drama and I think this season has some great shows too

yami_no_himesama

Post by yami_no_himesama » Sep 12th, '11, 15:56

«minah» wrote:Oh yeah that's right there's gonna be a movie... Well I reeeeeally can't wait for it!

Lol I actually forgot who his wife is >__> Though officially she would have to deal with the king being with Mazuru and the other lady.. so yeah she kinda has to be selfless ( since well... that's how it's always been. They're just some extra women on the side that will increase his chances in having an heir) but jealousy can take a toll with her. I mean, the ultimate role for these females are being child-bearers... and we can see why Mazuru knows that it's useless being a woman (but thanks to being born woman, she was able to go back to Ryukyu so it was useful but sadly kinda plays with the stereotype that 'women are sly, cunning creatures..."

Yeah I think the king also knows that she will never really love him as regular man/woman since her love towards him is pretty much like dedication for Ryukyu... But I think she's scared to love as a woman because of the dedication she has for her country ;_; especially towards Asakura... I really want to see how this will play out since eppy 9 preview seems to be intense.

Yeah I do wonder how is Mazuru going be played out now since Neion is back... Oh and as much as I admire Gackt, I'm soooo glad he's outta the show ><! His character was just too bothersome grrrrr. I think he was the only person I really didn't see having any complexity. Even Ookimi had more dimension. The audience could actually pity her and not completely dislike her.
Yaay someone else who likes the show ^^ It's such a beautiful drama and I think this season has some great shows too
I have to disagree a little bit on the Jo Teigai part (yes, I'm very biased, but that's a story for another day). The thing is, this show has been adapted from a book. When books are adapted into movies or shows, a lot gets left out because of time limits and episode limits.

The problem with Gackt's character is that he didn't get enough screen time for the audience to understand why he was such a jerk. All of the other characters have managed to have enough screen time where you get to know why they behave in a certain way. With him, he had a lot of things to do within a few episodes, and besides the fifth episode, he was barely there for longer than 5-7 minutes in the other ones. At places, I did find myself feeling a little sorry for Jo Teigai but not as much because he wasn't explained very well. I'm sure if he's this bad, there was an interesting reason behind it, which was left out because of an episode limit.
Currently Watching: Akumu-chan, Kekkon Shinai, Monsters, Priceless, Boss - Season 1, Higashino Keigo Mysteries

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 12th, '11, 16:24

They mentioned why Jo Teigai was acting like that. They didn't do flashbacks or anything but he explained that he was investigating the opium smuggling issue but the more powerful officials kicked him to Ryuku pretty much like Son was kicked to Yaeyama. Jo Teigai gave up hope and immersed himself into brothels and opium himself. Later he saw a chance for him to regain passage back to China when the King died. He wanted to get Son's help to take power in the palace so he could gain China's favor again. It was kind of weird how he just got into the palace suddenly. They never explained how. I assume Son helped him get in? Though I would wonder why she would do that.
ep9 has Mazuru pregnant and the King finds out who her lover is. I wonder what's going to happen to Asakura O_o Can't wait for the finale. Asakura gets killed by the King or does Mazuru get to leave the palace and run off with Asakura while the King keeps the baby? The latter seems like a very slim chance since Mazuru would have to leave her baby and stop working for her country.
As for the comment that Gackt is scary. It's not just this character he plays, his other characters gives me chills too. Maybe it's just rockers that are scary? I find Hyde gives me the chills as well after watching Moon Child and Kagen no Tsuki. Or they just pick really weird characters to portray?

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Sep 12th, '11, 18:10

Well it just seems to me the reasons why he was acting like that were very much overshadowed by his actual character and what was showed in the show.

@yami_no_himesama Well of course you'll feel more that way since you actually read the book so I guess I can only make my judgement based on what I see in the show ;_; (sorry) It is unfortunate his character couldn't be developed more (but I dunno is his character in the book just as extravagant as his drama counter-part? Feels like they wanted to make him more creepy-like because he's played by Gackt.. ;_; but it's only my assumption)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 13th, '11, 08:19

I have only seen a few scenes of this drama and I think it is absolutely fascinating.
I don't think I have watched such an interesting story. The cast is wonderful and I have yet to see Gackt in his role. I did see an interview with him one morning and saw a clip and I must say he looked as tho he was really enjoying his character. He does strange characters so well.

I hope that this drama will be shown on TV here in California. It needs a large screen. My monitor is large but even so I want a greater view for this drama.

yami_no_himesama

Post by yami_no_himesama » Sep 13th, '11, 11:01

seirin wrote:They mentioned why Jo Teigai was acting like that. They didn't do flashbacks or anything but he explained that he was investigating the opium smuggling issue but the more powerful officials kicked him to Ryuku pretty much like Son was kicked to Yaeyama. Jo Teigai gave up hope and immersed himself into brothels and opium himself. Later he saw a chance for him to regain passage back to China when the King died. He wanted to get Son's help to take power in the palace so he could gain China's favor again. It was kind of weird how he just got into the palace suddenly. They never explained how. I assume Son helped him get in? Though I would wonder why she would do that.
ep9 has Mazuru pregnant and the King finds out who her lover is. I wonder what's going to happen to Asakura O_o Can't wait for the finale. Asakura gets killed by the King or does Mazuru get to leave the palace and run off with Asakura while the King keeps the baby? The latter seems like a very slim chance since Mazuru would have to leave her baby and stop working for her country.
As for the comment that Gackt is scary. It's not just this character he plays, his other characters gives me chills too. Maybe it's just rockers that are scary? I find Hyde gives me the chills as well after watching Moon Child and Kagen no Tsuki. Or they just pick really weird characters to portray?
^ Exactly my thoughts. I was wondering how he suddenly became Kokushou as well. But I think it was Neion who helped him, maybe? Nothing else seems likely. She did sort of look like she had a plan up her sleeve after she got the Noro no Maga.
«minah» wrote:Well it just seems to me the reasons why he was acting like that were very much overshadowed by his actual character and what was showed in the show.

@yami_no_himesama Well of course you'll feel more that way since you actually read the book so I guess I can only make my judgement based on what I see in the show ;_; (sorry) It is unfortunate his character couldn't be developed more (but I dunno is his character in the book just as extravagant as his drama counter-part? Feels like they wanted to make him more creepy-like because he's played by Gackt.. ;_; but it's only my assumption)
I haven't read the book, actually. Just read a few excerpts from it (my Japanese isn't all the best), and from what I know after reading discussions about the book, Jo Teigai was a lot worse in the book. A lot more freaky, I guess. It's time restrictions and censorship (because NHK won't get explicit) that mellowed Jo Teigai down a lot. The show tried doing justice to him, but it didn't come out too well because of all that there was to be done. Nonetheless, he's one of my favorite characters on the show, even if he was really wicked.
Currently Watching: Akumu-chan, Kekkon Shinai, Monsters, Priceless, Boss - Season 1, Higashino Keigo Mysteries

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Sep 13th, '11, 19:36

@seirin
Yeah someone else said that Gackt always plays creepy-characters lol... and well with what yami no himesama says about Jo Teigai.. well.. I guess Gackt was the perfect choice, huh ^^;? And what you said about eppy 9.. Oh nooooooooos! Now it really does make me wonder how this will end..and how the movie will be done ( will it be a re-telling or pick up where the show ends...?)

Well I think not everything can (or sometimes should) follow the original book... It's with many other video-adaptions out there (I really looove the color purple but I heard the book is a lot worse than what the movies shows.. as in, the character's treatment and the depth of it... but I still hope that nonetheless people who read the book and Alice Walker stilled enjoyed the film... Steven Spielberg did amaaaaazing) and I find some j-drama remakes that still seem pretty good compared to its original book/manga. But yeah.. for a TV series everything has to be tamer ;_; (now I dunno how the movie is gonna be like...so not sure if Gackt will be in that but at least his character can go up a notch) So I guess one of the few faults of this series was the portrayal of Jo Teigai compared to the others and his book counterpart...

My favorite character.. I guess besides loving how Yukie is portraying Neion... is Ookimi. I dunno I just strangely like her. Maybe because she's more of a outspoken woman? And different than the rest.. and she must have some priestess powers right? (actually don't like how the show kinda just... dropped that whole thing too with the priestess-stone thing.. well, at least for now anyway. Hope it gets picked up again because I dunno it was mixing in fantasy with realism but then kinda went more on the realism path...)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 15th, '11, 02:00

I don't really find Gackt 'creepy' at all. I think he is a very dramatic person and so he gives that interpretation in the roles he is offered. I thought he was great in 'Fuurin Kazan'. There is a festival and parade in a Japanese town every year for that historical character (Uesugi Kenshin) and they always ask Gackt to come and get into the role all over again and ride in the parade.

It's show business...!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 15th, '11, 06:04

I don't know. Maybe I'm sensitive to facial features? I thought he was creepy as Jo Teigai. First scene with his tongue already spooked me. I thought he was a snake in disguise. Then there was that crazy look in his eyes and when he smiles. It's not a sweet smile... It's evil. He just gives me the shivers. His character in Moon Child didn't give me good vibes either. There's just something about him... or maybe he's just playing the character so he sends off those vibes.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 15th, '11, 06:52

I do think he is a good actor and he has the talent to get right down into the roles he has played. He was talking about the role in Fuurin Kazan and how he felt very honoured to be able to talk to one of his seniors in the cast. He genuinely wants to do more acting and is very serious about learning proper ways to bring a character to life. I also think it comes to him with some ease because he has had such tremendous energy in his music. He always presents it with great style and it is very theatrical. In fact I think he is theatrical in his life in general. Very interesting person I think.

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Sep 15th, '11, 12:46

I think it says something about Gackt's talent that he creeped me out so completely that I was happy to see him gone. I do want to know if that was his real tongue or not, because if it was, that's just freaky. I've never read the book, and in fact didn't even know that there was one. But I don't think that knowing more would have made him less creepy.

As for Ookami, the woman killed innocents because they just happened to be born in the year of the dragon, when looking for that necklace. I was glad to see her be banished. She was also more than happy to sell her brother and country out for power. Her only semi-redeeming moment was
when she suggested that the ex-shipping owner bring back stuff that would help him get his business back. And then also told him she wanted him to come back safely. It could have been mostly out of self-interest, but when she chased after him and yelled to bring back the comb, I think she really meant the rest of it. Since running after him made her make a scene and broke her cool

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 15th, '11, 22:56

It really was a loooong tongue wasn't it? I think it was his own, since he practiced yoga from way back and some of the asanas require sticking out the tongue as far as possible. I remember a long time ago he used to appear fairly often on that Japanese show 'Hey Hey Hey'. They used to have various challenges and he would always apply himself mentally and physically and invariably he would win.
Great cotrol over his abilities.

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Sep 19th, '11, 02:20

Every episode I love Mamina(the 'queen') more and more!

Episode 9:
I absolutely loved it when Neion comes back after getting the sugar cane, and Mamina takes her hat and welcomes her home. BAHAHAHA She freaking rocks! Or when she implies she's going to dress up like a guy too...Poor Mazuru, she looked so stunned.

I find it funny that they see her having a child of the current dynasty as a rejection of the first dynasty. I think it's a great way to merge the bloodlines and make Ryukyu a stronger nation.

I'm not so happy with Asakura trying to destroy, I mean modernize, Ryukyu just to get Mazuru. If he loved her as much as he says he does, you'd think he'd just do his best to help her. I guess he thinks he is helping her, even if she doesn't see it.

Poor King, seeing Neion and Asakura hugging like that, it'll be interesting to see what he does. He seems pretty smart, with a good head on his shoulders, so maybe he'll actually try and talk to her and not freak out.
I can't believe there's only one more episode! I'm so sad.

digitalcoconut

Post by digitalcoconut » Oct 18th, '11, 03:54

TBH, im quite skeptical to this series at first. i thought this is just another typical big budgeted series with historical -true story background, plus big names as an attraction. Japanese history normally making me yawning...

but, they proved me wrong. (im not complete it yet, waiting for finale)

Nakama Yukie in one of her best performance (of many). nice chemistry with the Satsuma Samurai (they've done it before right? one comedy series about new married couple. forget the title)..

i watched very few JDrama lately, (i think they are quite boring lately), but this series are very good (by my standard at least)..

whats the song title? (closing song)

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Oct 18th, '11, 06:28

^
Tempest - Namie Amuro

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 7th, '12, 22:36

At the moment I'm at ep 8.
After watching this drama おなり! (Onari!) = Presenting
will be stuck in my head. :lol
(Maybe I should re-watch some drama with JPN subs, good way to practice reading.)