[Discussion] Marumo no Okite (Abe Sadao,Ashida Mana)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

What would you rate this drama be? (out of 10)

10 Masterpiece
24%
09 Excellent
27%
08 Very Good
30%
07 Good
12%
06 Decent
3%
05 So-so
No votes
04 Not Really Good
No votes
03 Weak
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 Awful
3%

Total votes: 33

iLLusiOnEr

[Discussion] Marumo no Okite (Abe Sadao,Ashida Mana)

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Apr 28th, '11, 14:18

Story: Takagi Mamoru (Abe Sadao) is a bachelor around 40 who works at a stationery maker. He becomes a surrogate father to the twins, Kaoru (Ashida Mana) and Yuki (Suzuki Fuku), when his good friend passes away. Now orphans, the level-headed, cheerful Kaoru and her younger brother brace themselves and begin a new life with Mamoru. The family has a secret, which is the miniature Schnauzer, Mook, that the twins had picked up one day. Mook speaks human language! While he tenderly watches over the young twins and is their hero, he is at times harsh to Mamoru who makes an unreliable guardian. At other times, he encourages and even moralises. When Mook first started to talk, Mamoru suspected that it was his own mental state. He grows to accept Mook’s presence as the one that brings the family together. @jdramas.wordpress.com

Trivia:
* The “Marumo” in the title refers to the children’s mispronunciation of Mamoru’s name.
* Ashida will be the youngest actress to lead a drama series in the golden time slot.
* Ashida Mana and her co-star Fuku Suzuki, has teamed up together to produce this drama's theme song in their debut as singers.
* Hamada Miwako was put in charge as their choreographer, and the theme song will be released on May 25th.

DramaWiki
Official Site
TokyoHive coverage on this

English subtitle thread : English Sub
Torrent : Torrent @ d-addict
Theme Song (Thanks to ZemusDS) : MF

I watched first episode to 'test the water' as I want to see the progress of Ashida-chan. it was a good pilot. With Abe-san in it, this will surely have lots of funny moments. And what a day to see the kids cutest faces when they smile and laugh. Looking at the rating on their first episode, it can be considered a good rating. Since they will also have to compete with JIN 2 which broadcasts at the same slot.Although lucky for us here, we can watch it both in here. :cheers:
Last edited by iLLusiOnEr on Jun 11th, '11, 12:26, edited 3 times in total.

xploring

Post by xploring » Apr 29th, '11, 10:53

I like the first episode too. Tear-jerker beginning can feel exaggerated/forced but they managed to pull it off. Mana-chan is so cute, but really overworked for a six years old. Things are looking brighter already, so am hopeful for the rest of the series.

Didn't know it was in the same timeslot as JIN2. That was a stupid decision... Good ratings considering though.

avieamber

Post by avieamber » Apr 29th, '11, 13:35

Just watched 1st epi. Great start, and the kids are sooooo lovable!!!! ~~~ especially Ashida Mana, upon watching her in Mother before, I'm sure she's gonna be awesome in here. The twin brother is cute too. :D

Love the addition of the dog to the drama. Good one.

xploring

Post by xploring » May 4th, '11, 14:03

The second episode was fun. Not a lot new happened but the kids are adorable. Love watching the sing and dance at the end of the episode. Bit surprised that Mamoru gets off at five on weekdays and don't have to work Saturday, I thought Japanese usually have very long working hours.

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » May 5th, '11, 10:31

the rating was improved this week.though it's not competing with JIN 2 because it was push up one hour later.

I've become addicted to the song now :mrgreen:

xploring

Post by xploring » May 10th, '11, 10:23

Episode 3 was so fun. :D I laughed a couple of times. Mana-chan is such a great little actress, Higa Manami's acting felt very natural. Everyone else were good too. I am enjoying this more and more. School bags are so expensive though if those prices are right, it's over $500!

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » May 11th, '11, 11:08

It was :lol and pretty heart-warming too :cry: . I can sense the burden on Kaoru to be aware of her surrounding,unlike Tomoki. To be a child but aware of the situation one living in can be a stressful one. Children ought to be free.

Anyhow, its all uber cuteness in this episode. No doubt about Kaoru but now I love Tomoki and Mook too. Its all about food to Tomoki (even in the song :P ) and Mook is a poser in front of camera (scene in front of school). He's like a natural actor for a dog. How did they managed to make him drag himself refusing to bath? :mrgreen:

Aya-san seems to have some secret. she picked up hints so fast from the children. Or is it because she just that sensitive?

xploring

Post by xploring » May 11th, '11, 13:18

iLLusiOnEr wrote:It was :lol and pretty heart-warming too :cry: . I can sense the burden on Kaoru to be aware of her surrounding,unlike Tomoki. To be a child but aware of the situation one living in can be a stressful one. Children ought to be free.

Anyhow, its all uber cuteness in this episode. No doubt about Kaoru but now I love Tomoki and Mook too. Its all about food to Tomoki (even in the song :P ) and Mook is a poser in front of camera (scene in front of school). He's like a natural actor for a dog. How did they managed to make him drag himself refusing to bath? :mrgreen:

Aya-san seems to have some secret. she picked up hints so fast from the children. Or is it because she just that sensitive?
I got the impression that Aya
may be adopted too, from the way her father treats her at times. Like when she came back and took over his bed and he said nothing, and when Aya seemed thoughtful when talking about how Kaoru was holding back with Marumo and how Aya herself didn't. And also how Aya's dad was emphasizing to Maumo not to be half-hearted with parenting the twins... could be speaking from personal experience
Mook is cute. :) I thought he looked dirty and scruffy initially. I am surprised at how generous and dedicated Marumo is with the twins, and how eagerly they have accepted him. Kaoru is so grown up for a six years old. Hope there won't be too many complications with them staying together.

xploring

Post by xploring » May 24th, '11, 12:40

Marumo episode 5. It was fun to watch again. Everyone are really nice and they all care for Marumo and the kids. The part with Aya and Makimura-san was really funny. There were touching moments too. Really enjoyed that episode.

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » May 24th, '11, 20:39

Yes. I really enjoyed this episode too :mrgreen:. it was the funniest so far to me.The kids' acting is a lot better too. The rating for this episode was the highest so far - a jump of 2.9% from last week. I think it was probably because of the anticipitation of Aya and Makimura 'confessions' to the mom. Judging from the preview, I think we'll see more scenes involving the kids next week. Couldn't wait!

Watching how Mamoru cooping with childcare and reading facial expression of the kids to guess what are their feelings in this environment, it made me think of the manga 'Usagi Drop'. The base story is similar, a single man taking care of somebody else's child. I'm waiting for its live-action this year, which -and how suitable it is for our ever popular- Mana-chan will also be leading star in it.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Jun 1st, '11, 14:23

I love it, then again, I usually end up liking Dramatic Sunday's dramas.
The twins are so cute, and I love me some Sadao.

antspace

Post by antspace » Jun 8th, '11, 18:21

Ep. 7 was great. I find this series is developing in a beautiful way. I love how Marumo has such a big heart :-) I had to :cry: for most of the second half of this ep. Well that's what a good drama is all about, ne?

Romance

Post by Romance » Jun 9th, '11, 09:33

just watched first ep, it was great :-)

Romance

Post by Romance » Jun 11th, '11, 05:39

On ep 6 now and I have to say that drama is amazing. It really makes you happy, heartwarming, funny (been a while since a jdrama really made laugh) and touching (even cried a few times).

Recommending this one for everyone. :-)

avieamber

Post by avieamber » Jun 11th, '11, 11:35

Is the soundtrack out? Anybody knows?
Subbed: Ishi no Mayu, Siren, Kounodori, Boku no Yabai Tsuma, Kiseki no Hito, Boukyou SP, Suishou no Kodou, A LIFE
J-drama reviews: Ritsu no Dorama Land

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Jun 11th, '11, 12:27

@avieamber : update on first post. find the link there =)

avieamber

Post by avieamber » Jun 11th, '11, 13:17

iLLusiOnEr wrote:@avieamber : update on first post. find the link there =)
Thanks for the cute song :wub:
Subbed: Ishi no Mayu, Siren, Kounodori, Boku no Yabai Tsuma, Kiseki no Hito, Boukyou SP, Suishou no Kodou, A LIFE

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Jun 22nd, '11, 06:40

Tomoki : Sis.What do you want to eat this Sunday? Marumo's asking.
Kaoru : Spaghetti.
Tomoki : ...??..<head>..Hamburger!
Kaoru & Marumo : SPAGHETTI!!
Tomoki : Busted.

Haha :lol Poor boy. To think that you COULD ask for hamburger too. Aren't you clever to ease the tension?

- Anyone wonder why Mook can speak? I guess he's sorta reincarnation of Mr.Sasakura. Tabbun.

- What lucky coincidence to the writer to make this episode's plot as to celebrate Father's Day.[/spoiler]

Romance

Post by Romance » Jun 30th, '11, 12:18

iLLusiOnEr wrote:Tomoki : Sis.What do you want to eat this Sunday? Marumo's asking.
Kaoru : Spaghetti.
Tomoki : ...??..<head>..Hamburger!
Kaoru & Marumo : SPAGHETTI!!
Tomoki : Busted.

Haha :lol Poor boy. To think that you COULD ask for hamburger too. Aren't you clever to ease the tension?

- Anyone wonder why Mook can speak? I guess he's sorta reincarnation of Mr.Sasakura. Tabbun.

- What lucky coincidence to the writer to make this episode's plot as to celebrate Father's Day.[/spoiler]
^I also think that Mukku is their father :-)

Can't wait for last ep, this has been an amazing heartwarming drama.

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Jun 30th, '11, 12:43

Next week will be a cameo episode of Hana Kimi casts (Maeda Atsuko). Rating will shoot off the roof!

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 4th, '11, 01:51

Actually shows AKB48 participate in tend to get lower ratings, so dont be so sure about that!

But im surprised the last ep got an amazing rating on 23,9 (+5,3 up)!. Close to the same rating last ep of Jin got! But too bad that this great drama doesnt seem to get that much attention here on d-addicts, even if it was the second most viewed drama in japan this season (after jin).

r1ck

Post by r1ck » Jul 5th, '11, 11:26

last year i remember Ashida Mana amazed me in mother drama
now she do again with her co-star
nice drama waiting last episode and SP

furry

Post by furry » Jul 8th, '11, 01:06

Just watched the final episode...
So, uh, Mook is Sasakura or not? It wasn't really explained :blink

antspace

Post by antspace » Jul 8th, '11, 21:55

I would rather ask "who is hana?!"
:P
Great ending to my favorite series this season by the way :thumleft:

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Jul 9th, '11, 02:43

Just finished Marumo no Okite and i'll miss this drama sooo much! thankfully i read somewhere that they'll make a SP (i hope they explain more about Mook's background and Hana lol). For me this was the best drama this season, it's easy to watch and the chemistry between the kids and Abe Sadao (Marumo) was really great and heartwarming, i hope to watch more dramas like that in the future.

avieamber

Post by avieamber » Jul 9th, '11, 13:24

just done with last episode. it was great! touched me to tears at one point. And LOL at Mook's girlfriend, Hana haha :lol

nikid

Post by nikid » Jul 10th, '11, 18:37

avieamber wrote:just done with last episode. it was great! touched me to tears at one point. And LOL at Mook's girlfriend, Hana haha :lol
yeah, was dramatic....and yeah I laughed a lot with Mook's girlfriend :D LOL
Currently watching:
Good Doctor / FINAL CUT / Gibo to Musume no Blues
Recently finished:
BG: Shinpen Keigonin

http://mydramalist.com/dramalist/nikid

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Jul 12th, '11, 06:01

Whether Sasakura's spirit was in Mook or not, lets hope it'll be explained in SP. I just wish SP will not be just another shorter version of the whole series.

tarumpaw

Post by tarumpaw » Jul 21st, '11, 14:31

The thing i'm most interested is always the food Oyaji san makes. They look rather good. Makes me think this is more a cooking show. lol.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 29th, '11, 05:55

I seem to love Ashida Mana dramas. She's such a cute and good actress. I'm only half way through but loving every episode. They're so touching. Marumo isn't good looking but he's such a generous and kind person. Aya can be kind of annoying at times. Sometimes it's not good to cater to every child's whim. There's a give and take for both adults and children. It's good to see Kaoru who is more mature and understanding to Marumo's circumstances and know he's doing the best he can rather than asking too much. It's kind of odd though that Kaoru and Tomoki are twins but Kaoru is so much more mature than Tomoki. You would think they were years apart.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 30th, '11, 04:16

I wonder why everyone thinks Mook is Sasakura. But they did make it suspicious with the powder of stars. It was Marumo's suspicion only. The dog has heard the kids call him Mamoru sometimes, it's not like only Sasakura uses that term and the dog won't pick it up. I felt it was more of a "joke's on you" because he pretended he couldn't talk and then last ep he talked! If that was the spirit leaving, the dog shouldn't be able to talk? Mook's gf at the end was so random LOL Hana looked like a male dog. Although, if Mook did turn out to be Sasakura's spirit, I wouldn't mind too. It would make the story all the more sweeter. One big happy family.

I hope they do a season 2. It was so heartwarming and funny. But I will settle for a special too. I love the chemistry of the whole cast. Japan should write more of those type of stories.

When I saw the Hana Kimi school logo, I thought was that Maki, Shun and Toma? LOL Then I saw the girl upfront and got disappointed. Oh well...

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Oct 16th, '11, 17:29

Just finished the SP.Thanks to subie for the sub.The kids are really cute, can't get enough of them.It was a great performance from the other casts too..and mana-chan, when she cried at the about the last scene, i don't its fake at all..really a talented star.but then, when i remember this article : Why are more and more people starting to worry about Ashida Mana? its made me worry for her more..

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 18th, '11, 04:37

Thanks for the heads up. I just watched the SP yesterday. Mana-chan is so cute :) She's also quite an intelligent girl. I just attended a training session regarding children's social reasoning abilities. Kids are usually self-centered until age 6 and up when they start understanding other people's perspectives. But Mana-chan seems to have been acting since 4-5 yrs old. She can relate to how others feel (characters) and portrays them perfectly. A true genius! I really hope Mana is okay and doesn't suffer burn out though. Her parents should set their foot down to protect their child.