Top 5 most overrated jdramas of all time

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
User avatar
XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 528
Joined: May 2nd, '04, 20:33
Location: Land of the Sub-Prime

Post by XrayMind » Mar 30th, '11, 02:59

el_canuck wrote:Some of you people are "over-rated". Jdrama is not made for you, you are a parasite who watches free of commercials and can watch all the episodes at once if you want. These dramas are for the Japanese people, they are geared toward that culture.
By the same logic, American dramas are ONLY made for American market. I personally think all of the CSI drama are over-rated and I am in US. But they are popular in all over Asia. Some people download of Internet for free, some people watching on Asian networks that paid huge amount money to rebroadcast the shows. Even thought those drama was NOT made for them.

Go on further, those Hollywood made mindless action movies make HALF of their money from oversea market, but they were gear for audience in the American market. Some countries actually have limits on how many of Hollywood movies can be shown in their countries. There are MANY people criticizing these movies in those countries, even thought these Hollywood action movies were NOT made for them nor have anything to do with their culture.
Last edited by XrayMind on Mar 30th, '11, 06:58, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 30th, '11, 03:13

XrayMind wrote:
el_canuck wrote:Some of you people are "over-rated". Jdrama is not made for you, you are a parasite who watches free of commercials and can watch all the episodes at once if you want. These dramas are for the Japanese people, they are geared toward that culture.
By the same logic, American dramas are ONLY made for American market. I personally think all of the CSI drama are over-rated and I am in US. But they are popular in all over Asia. Some people download of Internet for free, some people watching on Asian networks that paid huge amount money to rebroadcast the shows. Even thought those drama was NOT made for them.

Go on further, those American made mindless action movies make HALF of their money from oversea market, even they gear for audience in the American market. Some countries actually have limited on how many of these American can be shown in their countries. These MANY people criticizing these movies in those countries, but masses in those countries still download them off the Internet.
Thank you very much because I was really going to type the same thing but kept editing and just didn't know how to state it right. You really stated the words I wanted to say.
Image

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 30th, '11, 09:44

Kazzymon wrote: Yes i know and of course i have heard about them.
im talking about dramas.

and i didn't say Japanese people don't care about idol culture.

They will watch dramas and of course they will give it a try
most of the time, the ones that gets high ratings aren't Johnny;s or dramas with idols.

Usually a drama with a good humane story gets higher or dramas that have been loved for many years like kinpachi sensei

That's why I'm saying for those criticising dramas that receive high ratings like HYD, NWP etc just because they use johnny's or idols, is really ignorant imo.

FYI HANA YORI DANGO for those of you who are saying they are using jonny's or idol with no story and blah blah, only Matsujun is considered idol. other three are actors.

btw I am Japanese so I appreciate stories with a deep meaning to it. and no i do not watch just because there are cute girls. although i watch and love all dramas done by Nakama Yukie because she is an amazing actress.
In the thread title 'over-rated' doesn't mean "The viewer rating for the drama was too high". It means more like over-hyped eg you hear loads of people online saying "I loved that drama it was amazing!", so you start to watch it but you don't like it. Therefore you consider the drama to be over-rated.

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Mar 30th, '11, 12:20

In the thread title 'over-rated' doesn't mean "The viewer rating for the drama was too high". It means more like over-hyped eg you hear loads of people online saying "I loved that drama it was amazing!", so you start to watch it but you don't like it. Therefore you consider the drama to be over-rated.[/quote]

i know what overrated means. and im saying most of the dramas ppl here are saying overrrated have high ratings in japan watched by japanese people liviivng in Japan so I really do not see the reasons why people non japanese criticize them so much.

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 30th, '11, 13:03

Kazzymon wrote: i know what overrated means. and im saying most of the dramas ppl here are saying overrrated have high ratings in japan watched by japanese people liviivng in Japan so I really do not see the reasons why people non japanese criticize them so much.
I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't understand why you were bringing viewer ratings into this as viewer ratings don't have an impact really on whether or not you like something or you don't. That's why I explained 'over-rated'.

Anyway you seem to be taking a similar line to el_canuck saying that non-Japanese don't have the right to criticise popular Japanese drama. That's just ridiculous. A high viewer rating doesn't make a drama off-limits to personal opinion.

My mother really didn't like Nodame Cantabile although that got high view ratings. She didn't like the over-the-top style. I actually like it before but not so much now because my tastes have changed. She's Japanese and I'm half. Does this make her opinion more valid than mine?

gingerninja
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 17th, '11, 18:10
Location: Osaka Japan

Post by gingerninja » Mar 30th, '11, 13:25

el_canuck wrote:Just remember who does the rating, if the people of Japan like it and it is rated high and you slam it, are you not indirectly slamming the Japanese?

The US's top show is NCIS if a bunch of Europeans and Asians were slaming it and saying the show is bad, is not that a slam on the US?
Think about it.
When I get back from Japan I will write down my findings..
I live in Japan... I'll save you the trip.. what exactly are you asking?

That Japanese people don't watch shows based on the idol involved? bzzzt Wrong. I could write you an essay on Japan and idol culture.

That saying a tv program wasn't that good is a slam on the country? bzzt wrong. Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one, the internet is just an anonymous way of letting that opinion out. Which is.. as an opinion should be subjective.

Japanese shows are made for Japanese so shut your foreign mouths! is what I'm getting from your other statement... bzzt wrong. Anime especially sells huge worldwide, and the drama's sell in other asian territories, while the scripts and ideas are sold globally and usually rewritten to involve more culture of the country where the remake takes place. Popular big bug budget shows think worldwide because they often make more money from oversea's, or at least helps recoup the budget back.

Your theories are baseless, and as you've never been to Japan as you've admitted, how can you speak on their behalf? and what findings do you hope to gain as a Gaijin entering Japan on Holiday... hate to break it to you. Japan is just another country, it's not manga/anime land where as soon as you step off the plane your met at the airport by the cast of gundam.

User avatar
antspace
Posts: 1341
Joined: Jul 14th, '08, 06:41
Location: The Netherlands

Post by antspace » Mar 30th, '11, 13:42

@gingerninja,
Hey, you just made this into a quiz show! :D Mmmm, I like quizes :P
Sorry, just being silly :-)

lissamae
Posts: 94
Joined: Mar 14th, '06, 02:54
Location: Shizuoka, Japan

Post by lissamae » Mar 30th, '11, 14:31

@gingerninja LOL
I live in Japan, too. I agree that idols do sell dramas...II can't believe people are saying that is a lie, because all of my Japanese friends/students tell me straight they are watching 'nantoka-sans' (that person's) drama, with no regard to the story

@el_canuck
good luck on you little mission, if you think you can understand a complex social dynamic in a few weeks....

@Kazzymon
please understand cultural differences. We like to share what we think, it is not a crticism of Japan..

As for the topic, I do not know about 'overrated' but I dislike dramas that try to address too many current issues in a limited format of 9-12 episodes (ie. last friends, Nakanai to kimita hi, Sunao ni naranakute) The base is good, the actors and directors are good, but the stories are all too haphazard and underdeveloped. Pick one issue, and see it through!

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Mar 30th, '11, 17:15

I am not saying that you guys have no right to criticise but what i'm saying is the choices are dumbfounding to me.

Obviously there are elements to the story that international people that can't be fully understood so without fully understanding everything and just looking on the surface and plot, how can you properly criticize it?

its like if you meet someone for the first time and saying stuff that is critical of him/her even though you don't understand them fully.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 30th, '11, 17:50

@lissamae do agree with your last paragraph. Because some stuff can't be fully fleshed out in 9-12 episodes (though some stuff gets dragged on too much for no reason) I think Nakanai to Kimita hi was just..... I dunno because everyone was purposely bullying her for no reason.... they had no idea why she even hated her from the start so that right there just seem a bit.... I dunno. They just jumped right into the hate/bullying wagon (even the supervisor hated her.. and all of a sudden just seem surprised that bullying actually exist in her office while she was the main one doing it)

@Kazzymon So the Japanese should not criticize every US movie that gets released over there because they don't fully understand the American culture to say anything. So when they write reviews for the Japanese readers on foreign releases they can't criticize it? Some stuff isn't really about culture difference, but just how a person's emotions are. I don't think anything can really be fully understood regardless even if you're in the same country. (you do know America has so many different cultures and people observe and say remarks base on what they see. And they still criticize & stereotype)

Last Friends... yeah it was really overrated (well, more so it was hyped up before it was actually aired) because of the cast and controversial issues (yeah you know people were really into more so for the cast. 3 of out of 6 main people who's faces were on promotional stuff were just coming out of Nodame and one was a Johnny.) Then the fact it dealt with controversial issues like DV, gender identity, a bit of Gynophobia, and sexual orientation. But instead of really focusing on the issues that aren't really touched in other dramas (like the latter 3) they wanna have Masami punched and slapped every episode. (I even read somewhere Juri was a bit upset with Ryo because of all the screen time he was getting) They changed the script in the middle of the series. If they changed the script like that... well maybe you can say it is a cultural thing because who knows if the targeted audience were able to watch something like that?

It's really not about how things are so different that a foreigner won't be able to understand (or else we wouldn't still watch the stuff) but I think people are saying why stuff are overrated because we actually understand it and there is no cultural difference in it. No one i saying that they didn't like Gokusen's other seasons because we just can't understand the Japanese school system and why they dump a bunch a bad boys in the same class over and over again (because really those boys would have been kicked out in a real Japanese school) it's because the story is pretty much the same as the 1st season. No one was saying that Hard to Say I Love you was overrated because of how... well... actually... there isn't really much of a cultural difference in that show. It got hyped up (again ) for the cast (and the fact JaeJoong was in it) and some of the issues could have been handled better. The stuff we saw in that show isn't that much different than what can be in a Western show. Linda didn't have to have ED... just flat out say he's gay in the first place. Everyone decided to like Eita, and the way Eita all of a sudden took an interest in Juri (because everyone was waiting for the two to get together) it wasn't believable. You don't need to know Japanese culture to know that suddenly being dumped by your already married lover and turning to the girl who's been crushing on you for the longest is... bad.

Typed too much than I intended.. it's hard to explain myself sorry (and I really hope this thread doesn't get shut down because I am interested in people's thoughts of overrated shows... I'm watching Liar game and some people said it's overrated on here... some say it's good... and I wanna check it out)
Image

gingerninja
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 17th, '11, 18:10
Location: Osaka Japan

Post by gingerninja » Mar 30th, '11, 18:24

Personally I couldn't make it through Densha Otoko. Got 6 episodes in before the main characters constant whining broke me. When I started watching Japanese shows to help speed up my learning I asked around what drama's were good (for my own reasons.. i rarely dive into something without one trusted recommendation to back it up) and it was almost universally recommended.

I liked both Hana Kimi and Nobuta.. but then I'd watch Maki read the phone book on camera for an hour without flinching so I guess you could call me bias.
Smile.. was ok.. If they'd had just stopped trying to shove how righteous it was into peoples face.

Underrated.. Majisuka Gakuen. It was terrible! and because it knew it was terrible it didn't even try to be good, and that's what made it good in my eyes. No plot, no point.. so let's just have fun with it and throw lot's of nonsense at the camera.
lissamae wrote:@gingerninja LOL
I live in Japan, too. I agree that idols do sell dramas...II can't believe people are saying that is a lie, because all of my Japanese friends/students tell me straight they are watching 'nantoka-sans' (that person's) drama, with no regard to the story
This is very true. I was walking around Tsutaya with a friend (she wanted some music recommendations) and we were discussing the drama box sets, and plenty of times she said she watched *A* because Idol_B was in it, but didn't watch drama *C* because Idol_D was in it.

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Mar 31st, '11, 11:32

@ gingerninja >I live in Japan, too. I agree that idols do sell dramas...II can't believe people are saying that is a lie, because all of my Japanese friends/students tell me straight they are watching 'nantoka-sans' (that person's) drama, with no regard to the story

OK but who is this "nantokasan" iti s important. like if it is "Oguri Shun" he is not an idol.
PLUS i will come with the viewing arguement here again but look at recent ratings.
If iddol can sell dramas, why is Kamenashi's drama getting low ratings? According to everyone here, his dramas would be getting 20% ratings.

Usually monday 9 on fuji TV gets relatively high ratings, they RARELY use idols as their star. the only idols who had the privilege to star was yamap, kimutaku, matsujun, katori shingo, maybe kusanagi,
apart from Matsujun, others are accomplished actors and really you can't say the dramas have high rating soly because of them.

Please argue whether idols sell dramas or not based on the viewing rates. not some random ppl's childish opinions.

because according to you guys, Kamenashi dramas Ohno dramas, Nakamaru dramas are supposed to be getting 30% ratings which arent. these days high ratings go to dramas that can grab the interest of audience.

kesusita
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 30th, '11, 15:48
Location: Bulgaria

Post by kesusita » Mar 31st, '11, 11:57

Post deleted... :D
Last edited by kesusita on Jan 12th, '13, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Mar 31st, '11, 12:14

and for those of you who posted Last Friends as their overrated dramas
let me get this out to you all, they were not expecting such high audience viewing in Japan, it was a pleasant surprise doing what they did.

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 31st, '11, 13:57

Kazzymon wrote:and for those of you who posted Last Friends as their overrated dramas
let me get this out to you all, they were not expecting such high audience viewing in Japan, it was a pleasant surprise doing what they did.
Yes but the meaning of 'over-rated drama' in this case is unrelated to audience viewer ratings in Japan so whether a high rating was expected or not is irrelevant.

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Mar 31st, '11, 17:19

emma-ba wrote:
Kazzymon wrote:and for those of you who posted Last Friends as their overrated dramas
let me get this out to you all, they were not expecting such high audience viewing in Japan, it was a pleasant surprise doing what they did.
Yes but the meaning of 'over-rated drama' in this case is unrelated to audience viewer ratings in Japan so whether a high rating was expected or not is irrelevant.
How is it unrelated?
over-rated means as someone explained earlier is how some dramas have been talked about a lot before series and get people excited but find out in the end that it wasn't as good as expected. then that drama is considered over-rated

but Last Friends were talked about, even the staffs ddidnt expect it to reach 20% in ratings. They probably expected decent ratings and would be satsified but each week the ratings improved.

Therefore it shouldnt be considered overrated. Yes if people didn't enjoy it, its fine but it's just their opinion. The media didn't pick much about it. The actors were decent ones not the top of the arc stars.

curlywurly
Posts: 20
Joined: Feb 19th, '11, 05:41
Location: up all night

Post by curlywurly » Mar 31st, '11, 17:19

«minah» wrote: Typed too much than I intended.. it's hard to explain myself sorry (and I really hope this thread doesn't get shut down because I am interested in people's thoughts of overrated shows... I'm watching Liar game and some people said it's overrated on here... some say it's good... and I wanna check it out)
Relax, everyone's still pretty civil, no reason for the thread to be shut down.

Liar Game, for me, was a very difficult show to watch (atrocious acting and unimaginative, predictable plotlines whatnot). I sincerely applaud the people that did like it enough for it to spawn another season and a movie, they have infinitely more patience than me.

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Mar 31st, '11, 17:33

curlywurly wrote:
«minah» wrote: Typed too much than I intended.. it's hard to explain myself sorry (and I really hope this thread doesn't get shut down because I am interested in people's thoughts of overrated shows... I'm watching Liar game and some people said it's overrated on here... some say it's good... and I wanna check it out)
Relax, everyone's still pretty civil, no reason for the thread to be shut down.

Liar Game, for me, was a very difficult show to watch (atrocious acting and unimaginative, predictable plotlines whatnot). I sincerely applaud the people that did like it enough for it to spawn another season and a movie, they have infinitely more patience than me.
OK, was the tricks they did the lies that they hid were they predictable?
was Nao lying predictable?
im guessing you are a girl since girls are good at lying and naturally good at figuring out someone's lies.

[mod edit: Please refrain from making offensive generalizations like this.]

curlywurly
Posts: 20
Joined: Feb 19th, '11, 05:41
Location: up all night

Post by curlywurly » Mar 31st, '11, 17:49

Kazzymon wrote:
curlywurly wrote:
Liar Game, for me, was a very difficult show to watch (atrocious acting and unimaginative, predictable plotlines whatnot). I sincerely applaud the people that did like it enough for it to spawn another season and a movie, they have infinitely more patience than me.
OK, was the tricks they did the lies that they hid were they predictable?
was Nao lying predictable?
im guessing you are a girl since girls are good at lying and naturally good at figuring out someone's lies.

That's why girls are scary and are called bitches =_=
Girl's life like a game. game of fooling guys.

Hahaha, you're calling me a girl but look who's getting catty all of a sudden??

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 31st, '11, 18:08

Kazzymon wrote:
emma-ba wrote:
Kazzymon wrote:and for those of you who posted Last Friends as their overrated dramas
let me get this out to you all, they were not expecting such high audience viewing in Japan, it was a pleasant surprise doing what they did.
Yes but the meaning of 'over-rated drama' in this case is unrelated to audience viewer ratings in Japan so whether a high rating was expected or not is irrelevant.
How is it unrelated?
over-rated means as someone explained earlier is how some dramas have been talked about a lot before series and get people excited but find out in the end that it wasn't as good as expected. then that drama is considered over-rated

but Last Friends were talked about, even the staffs didnt expect it to reach 20% in ratings. They probably expected decent ratings and would be satsified but each week the ratings improved.

Therefore it shouldnt be considered overrated. Yes if people didn't enjoy it, its fine but it's just their opinion. The media didn't pick much about it. The actors were decent ones not the top of the arc stars.
What I mean is that the reason people might consider a drama to be over-rated is not just to do with how a drama was perceived in that Japanese media as you seem to have suggested in the case of Last Friends.

The impression that something is highly rated could come from any number of sources. Reviews written in blogs, other people's recommendations, threads in forums about how amazing a particular drama was etc. You don't know why a particular poster feels a drama was over-rated so you can't just tell them they're wrong.

For example for me I thought Nobuta wo Produce was over-rated because I kept seeing it being recommended on various forums but didn't enjoy it myself. I have absolutely no idea what the Japanese media and viewers thought of it.

Also, I was the person who explained 'over-rated' in that post so I do know what it means.

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 31st, '11, 18:09

curlywurly wrote:
Kazzymon wrote:
curlywurly wrote:
Liar Game, for me, was a very difficult show to watch (atrocious acting and unimaginative, predictable plotlines whatnot). I sincerely applaud the people that did like it enough for it to spawn another season and a movie, they have infinitely more patience than me.
OK, was the tricks they did the lies that they hid were they predictable?
was Nao lying predictable?
im guessing you are a girl since girls are good at lying and naturally good at figuring out someone's lies.

That's why girls are scary and are called bitches =_=
Girl's life like a game. game of fooling guys.

Hahaha, you're calling me a girl but look who's getting catty all of a sudden??
Someone seems a bit bitter...

User avatar
RetroHelix
Posts: 440
Joined: Mar 14th, '09, 16:47
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Mar 31st, '11, 18:31

I took a look at http://www.jdorama.com/topdramas.htm and picked the ones I saw and did not liked even though they had a good rating:

1. Ichi Ritoru no Namida - 1 Liter of Tears/A Diary with Tears
This drama was just very sad and moving but nothing special imo.
2. Gokusen
I really liked the first season but then it became boring.
3. Tokyo rabu sutori - Tokyo love story
It really felt like a very good drama in the beginning but with every episode the character of Oda Yuji got more and more on my nerves. It was not his playing it was just the role he had to play. Besides that it was wonderful to watch Suzuki Honami :)
4. Nodame Cantabile
I enjoyed it but somehow it laked something special.
5. Engine
I like Kimutaku but this drama was really not that great.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 31st, '11, 18:47

Kazzymon wrote:
curlywurly wrote:
«minah» wrote: Typed too much than I intended.. it's hard to explain myself sorry (and I really hope this thread doesn't get shut down because I am interested in people's thoughts of overrated shows... I'm watching Liar game and some people said it's overrated on here... some say it's good... and I wanna check it out)
Relax, everyone's still pretty civil, no reason for the thread to be shut down.

Liar Game, for me, was a very difficult show to watch (atrocious acting and unimaginative, predictable plotlines whatnot). I sincerely applaud the people that did like it enough for it to spawn another season and a movie, they have infinitely more patience than me.
OK, was the tricks they did the lies that they hid were they predictable?
was Nao lying predictable?
im guessing you are a girl since girls are good at lying and naturally good at figuring out someone's lies.

That's why girls are scary and are called bitches =_=
Girl's life like a game. game of fooling guys.
Ok after reading this comment of yours, I pretty much just see your other comments on the previous pages invalid. You say we shouldn't have a right to "criticize" a show that's targeted for Japan yet you go and pretty much conclude that curly is a girl by what she said, claiming girls are good at lying and naturally good at figuring out lies... and you generalize what girls are (saying they are scary and a b*tch) and that our life is like a game.. and just a game of fooling guys. How double standard can you get?

Don't think you have any right tell people not to criticize shows that air in a different country while you go and criticize/generalize half of the people in the world.

@curly
Yeah but that comment prove the "civil" part wrong. I only watched 2 episodes so far so I can only say I just had a taste of the series so I can't really judge if it's predictable or not (since the first episode just fleshed out the personalities of the 2 leads, showing off Matsuda's swindling skills and Erika's over-trusting self)
Image

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 679
Joined: May 23rd, '09, 00:06
Location: USA

Post by iluvasiandrama » Mar 31st, '11, 19:57

Kazzymon wrote:
curlywurly wrote:
«minah» wrote: Typed too much than I intended.. it's hard to explain myself sorry (and I really hope this thread doesn't get shut down because I am interested in people's thoughts of overrated shows... I'm watching Liar game and some people said it's overrated on here... some say it's good... and I wanna check it out)
Relax, everyone's still pretty civil, no reason for the thread to be shut down.

Liar Game, for me, was a very difficult show to watch (atrocious acting and unimaginative, predictable plotlines whatnot). I sincerely applaud the people that did like it enough for it to spawn another season and a movie, they have infinitely more patience than me.
OK, was the tricks they did the lies that they hid were they predictable?
was Nao lying predictable?
im guessing you are a girl since girls are good at lying and naturally good at figuring out someone's lies.

That's why girls are scary and are called bitches =_=
Girl's life like a game. game of fooling guys.
That statement was way out of line and needs to be removed from the thread. That goes too far. You can express a passionate view in a heated discussion without swearing at people. There are plenty of emoticons, symbols and alternative words to use. :cussing: :argue: ** $$ #% are just a few examples.
Now watching: Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
amrayu
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 762
Joined: Dec 19th, '03, 06:30
Location: South Bay
Contact:

Post by amrayu » Mar 31st, '11, 20:04

Kazzymon wrote:
curlywurly wrote:
«minah» wrote: Typed too much than I intended.. it's hard to explain myself sorry (and I really hope this thread doesn't get shut down because I am interested in people's thoughts of overrated shows... I'm watching Liar game and some people said it's overrated on here... some say it's good... and I wanna check it out)
Relax, everyone's still pretty civil, no reason for the thread to be shut down.

Liar Game, for me, was a very difficult show to watch (atrocious acting and unimaginative, predictable plotlines whatnot). I sincerely applaud the people that did like it enough for it to spawn another season and a movie, they have infinitely more patience than me.
OK, was the tricks they did the lies that they hid were they predictable?
was Nao lying predictable?
im guessing you are a girl since girls are good at lying and naturally good at figuring out someone's lies.

That's why girls are scary and are called bitches =_=
Girl's life like a game. game of fooling guys.
Can you refrain from calling girls bitches? Your comment has offended some people on this board.
Follow SARS-Fansubs on Twitter now!
Get up-to-date info on dramas and fansubbing!

User avatar
Juneau
Posts: 28
Joined: Mar 3rd, '11, 20:15

Post by Juneau » Mar 31st, '11, 21:45

ryan69flow wrote:
Juneau wrote:Nobuta wo Produce -srly everyone was praising it, but watching it made me wanna fall asleep asap.. dunno *expects to get bricked for that comment*
:O I'm appalled at that comment. I loved that series and still love it with a passion.

For me it's probably Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge. Felt like a pop star pretty boy show with no real interesting aspects. The character development always felt rushed, like one character would be neutral then out of the blue have a huge issue. Plus the end was totally garbage to me.
please don't be appalled. I just dont liked it that much. But I also wholeheartly agree on Yamato Nadeshiko. I didnt managed to watch all episodes because the characters went on my nerves after some time. Especially the overly sugarcute tegoshi.

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Apr 5th, '11, 00:21

Dramas are cool
Movies are better
But loving you is the best

User avatar
outcast_within
Posts: 141
Joined: Aug 13th, '07, 12:26

Post by outcast_within » Apr 5th, '11, 00:32

Now you've done it. You made the bitches mad :(

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Apr 6th, '11, 21:27

:(

don't be mad
be glad
the world
is a happy place

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 679
Joined: May 23rd, '09, 00:06
Location: USA

Post by iluvasiandrama » Apr 8th, '11, 16:26

I just got around to watching Beautiful Life this week and that one was way overrated IMO. :roll
Now watching: Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
lollercopter
Posts: 215
Joined: Sep 13th, '08, 08:33

Post by lollercopter » Apr 9th, '11, 09:28

My interpretation of el_canuck's incoherent ramblings is that he's some sort of weeaboo trying to defend the honor of Glorius Nippon.
Kazzymon wrote:I am not saying that you guys have no right to criticise but what i'm saying is the choices are dumbfounding to me.

Obviously there are elements to the story that international people that can't be fully understood so without fully understanding everything and just looking on the surface and plot, how can you properly criticize it?

its like if you meet someone for the first time and saying stuff that is critical of him/her even though you don't understand them fully.
What makes or breaks a drama is the acting, writing, direction, editing, cinematography and music. Not small cultural details (that seasoned drama fans will mostly understand anyway).
gingerninja wrote:Personally I couldn't make it through Densha Otoko. Got 6 episodes in before the main characters constant whining broke me.
I have reached episode 6 and I'm thinking of stopping. The main character's social ineptitude is just really overblown, and it's difficult to understand why Hermes would be interested in him. The 2ch users also wear out their welcome really quickly.

Jyoou no Kyoushitsu is overrated because the sudden change in characterization towards the end of the show undermines the entire story and turns it into a confusing mess. The teacher is an incompetent and irresponsible psychopath, and presumably meant to be a representation of Japan's societal ills (as perceived by the writer), but then she is suddenly reinvented as a secretly nice person who is just using Tough Love and elaborate psychological ruses to make everyone happy. I heard the the script was hastily changed because the sponsor abandoned ship for a while.

User avatar
fifimimi
Posts: 444
Joined: Aug 2nd, '05, 00:18

Post by fifimimi » Apr 27th, '11, 12:18

I tend to find the ones with Yamapi overrated. I do like him but I think he is so overwhelmingly popular that his dramas get way too overrated.

Ones likr Kurosaki, Nobuta xxx, etc.

User avatar
yanaliao
Posts: 55
Joined: Apr 16th, '07, 02:02
Location: Manila, Phils

Post by yanaliao » Jul 4th, '11, 07:02

I saw most of the posts that almost all of Kimura takuya's doramas were mentioned. In my personal opinion, I think nothing is overrated if they were really 'liked' by people. Overrated is when tv shows promote too much on it and the series gained popularity because it has an impact or something that was overly commercialized so people got curious. That's what I think as overrated.

Kimura-san's doramas were really good. Not all, but for me... yeah it's all. haha... Anyway, I can prove this 'coz I was able to get a non-jdorama, non-kimura takuya fan watch his doramas until those girls were already 'begging' me for more Kimura-san series. x) Anyway, I'm proud of it. x)

Most overrated for me:
hana yori dango- never watched it, but it was hyped up 'coz of Taiwan's Meteor Garden, else, it will be just a normal day-to-day drama.

that's all. :)
Don't kill me. x)
Image

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 537
Joined: Apr 22nd, '09, 20:33
Contact:
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jul 4th, '11, 20:00

RetroHelix wrote:1. Ichi Ritoru no Namida - 1 Liter of Tears/A Diary with Tears
This drama was just very sad and moving but nothing special imo.
Gotta agree with this one. I couldn't warm up to the main couple. Just kept fast-forwarding to the scenes with Dr Mizuno.
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog | mdl

curiositee
Posts: 6
Joined: May 30th, '11, 06:47

Post by curiositee » Jul 8th, '11, 21:33

Oooh, I like dis cattyness. :P

I've agreed with an overwhelming number of the replies, which tells me I'm in the right thread! :D Well, except for Nobuta maybe. Akira/Yamapi made me want to punch a wall, and seeing a teenage girl with such horrendous self-esteem issues was REALLY REALLY NOT CUTE. BUT. But but but, I fell in love with Kame in Nobuta - he is, imo, one of the better young idol actors (if only he'd stop taking on bad projects XD); and there were some legit funny and touching moments. And I loooooved that it wasn't about awkward 15-year-old romance (so bad, so so so bad).

I think Nobuta isn't really overrated just because some people hold it to be one of the best Japanese HS/coming-of-age dramas - it's pretty good, and there seems to be no better drama in this category, sadly. XD At least it had some major merits, unlike most of the other famous dramas. And Seishun Amigo was on my top 5 playlist for like a month.

Overrated list in no particular order:
- Gokusen. Please shoot me now to spare me the sheer inanity of this show - how this show got to be so popular is one of life's great mysteries to me.
- Hana Kimi. OK, WHAT? Great production value, and had some legit LOL moments, but they were few and far in between, and not even close to making up for having to put up with that much stupidity. Another of life's great mysteries.
- Like all of Kimura Takuya's romantic series. They weren't ever bad, but I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep waiting for stuff to happen. And it's so sad, but KimuTaku has only ever played one character in a romance drama (i.e. himself). The rest were all the same character with a change of costume (i.e. himself with a different shirt). I was convinced he couldn't act worth a yen until I saw him in non-romance stuff.
- Hana Yori Dango. WTF was the point of this, exactly? If I'd wanted to see pretty boys I'd watch music videos - at least that way, they wouldn't be making such fools of themselves for hours on end.
- ANYTHING STARRING YAMASHITA TOMOHISA, EVER. Oh my god! Boy is nice to look at, can sorta pretend to dance, but HOLY CRAP somebody get him off the film set before he hurts himself trying to act!

nezinu5
Posts: 2
Joined: May 12th, '08, 07:48

Post by nezinu5 » May 24th, '13, 19:01

Nobuta! Just soooo boring.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests