Top 5 most overrated jdramas of all time

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
User avatar
*member*
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 24th, '07, 23:41

Top 5 most overrated jdramas of all time

Post by *member* » Feb 19th, '11, 00:44

you know the cliche type the ones that everybody has watch and not necessary it has been good

Sajen16
Posts: 269
Joined: Jan 27th, '11, 02:23
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Contact:

Post by Sajen16 » Feb 19th, '11, 00:51

I personally think Hero with Takuya Kimura is way overrated it's good very good bit it's not even close to my list of the top 10 or 15 best dramas I've seen. also 101'st Marriage Proposal. and definitely Tokyo Love Story I don't see how anyone can like that one

LaLaLaDRAMA
Posts: 116
Joined: Jul 28th, '07, 23:53
Location: sunnytown CALI

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Feb 19th, '11, 01:39

Sajen16 wrote:I personally think Hero with Takuya Kimura is way overrated it's good very good bit it's not even close to my list of the top 10 or 15 best dramas I've seen. also 101'st Marriage Proposal. and definitely Tokyo Love Story I don't see how anyone can like that one
I liked Tokyo Love Story. The outdated outfits are a bit distracting, but the drama and the acting was really good in my opinion.

For me, the most overrated would be GOKUSEN. The first one was good. But they kept on doing the same thing season after season and it was still popular!

User avatar
arminna
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 26th, '10, 17:29
Location: Aberdeen/Minas Tirith

Post by arminna » Feb 19th, '11, 02:08

definately Hana Yori Dango! esp. the second season - i mean seriously - WHATDEFUCK?! that was simply soooooooooooooooooo wrong, from the veeeryyyy beginning. i wish i could say anything more about it, but in my opinion EVERYTHING there was just a huge misuderstanding. maybe the music was nice - i personally loved planetarium as a sad song and the rest was also suitable, but the rest - plot was very inreasonable, especially in second season, changes in characters were unmotivated and sometimes really out of the blue, acting... i wont even comment on that and NO ONE will persuade me that Shun save this drama.
but most of the people started usually with this or Hana Kimi (for me, HYD was the second drama, so i still have some sentiment towards it :D)

and i dont think (it is just me though, most people love this drama) that Nobuta wo Produce is this great. both Maki and Kame was acting really badly in my opinion, and the only upside was Yamapi. but he looked awful. it was not a bad drama - it simply was not that great. thats really all i can say about it, since it was not in the smallest bit rememberable

thirdly - Proposal Daisakusen - i personally couldnt stand the main character, which was flat and completely gutless D) - plus the plot in my opinion was flat and completely unappealing. again - its just me (unlike HYD, which most people agree about :D) and to be honest - i'm a little biased since i havent even finish this drama - it was just sooooo bad for me.

next - Bloody Monday II - just the second season! after first being in my opinion appealing and really interesting (i've watched it straight with no breaks in between), the second season was a complete dissapointment, with Haruma Miura being shocked all the time (god, in this drama he really did had only one, surprised face!), Sato Takeru being scared and begging for his life (even though he could be a bad ass!) and really really naive and unbelievable plot (am i the only person that thinks than Japan has MORE hackers than Falcon?!)

last, but not least - the worst of the worst Lovely Complex (even though its movie, not a drama). the manga/anime was in my opinion warm and funny and cute in the same time and you could really connect with the characters. the movie just KILLED all of those feelings. i couldnt stant the leading female actress and even though i think Teppei was a good choice for Otani, he did not show how good actor he can be. also the plot, even though in theory had all the important events, was lacking all the qualities mentioned above - was really dull (i dont think i laughed even once), not interesting to follow and simply badly executed. i was soooo dissapointed.

sorry for writing this much but i prefer to give some reason before my choices and not simply writing the name.
plus i would like to point out that i dont think all of them were bad dramas (esp. nobuta), but were definatelly overrated and not as great as i believed.
still, thats just my personal opinion :D

User avatar
arminna
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 26th, '10, 17:29
Location: Aberdeen/Minas Tirith

Post by arminna » Feb 19th, '11, 02:25

LaLaLaDRAMA wrote: For me, the most overrated would be GOKUSEN. The first one was good. But they kept on doing the same thing season after season and it was still popular!
i am madly in love with Gokusen, so i dont think so. especially when you read manga, i think that they did a great job dividing all the different stories into three seasons. of course they couldnt help but to repete some stories (i think the ones that were twice was that the daddy was rich and wanted some cute guy to stop going to school and the smart kids beating worse students) so i do understand where your opinion came from :)
this was the drama that encouraged me to watch more of them (after HYD i was really this close to give up :D). its light, funny, and there are some cute faces there ^^

User avatar
mrsmith10
Posts: 70
Joined: Jan 8th, '11, 09:23
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by mrsmith10 » Feb 19th, '11, 04:26

I haven't seen a lot of the "top dramas," but to me Good Luck!! is definitely overrated. Sure it's not bad, but it is slow, especially the first 4 or so episodes. The story is good, but you just get the feeling that something is missing to truly make it great. I think it's highly rated only because of Takuya Kimura.

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2129
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Feb 19th, '11, 04:49

In no particular order:

1. The entire Gokusen series - The first season was tolerable, but the entire series became a recycled joke and nothing more than a fangirl ratings grab.

2. Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu - A depressing, manipulative weep-fest.

3. Engine - A stereotypical Kimutaku performance and zero chemistry between him and Koyuki.

4. Last Friends - Some very good performances wasted by the writers who sacrificed the story for ratings. Disappointing.

5. Yoshitsune - Without a doubt, the worst NHK Taiga of the bunch.

curlywurly
Posts: 19
Joined: Feb 19th, '11, 05:41
Location: up all night

Post by curlywurly » Feb 19th, '11, 06:25

Mmm, I would have to include pretty much everything that stars those pretty boy, bubblegum pop boyband/singers, dramas that are tailor made for fangirls.

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2129
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Feb 19th, '11, 07:02

curlywurly wrote:Mmm, I would have to include pretty much everything that stars those pretty boy, bubblegum pop boyband/singers, dramas that are tailor made for fangirls.
I agree, but then my list would be much longer than just five. :P
If you need me to seed Ueno Juri-chan or Yonekura Ryoko-chan stuff, please PM me. :salut:

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Feb 19th, '11, 08:08

No order:

Last Friends

Sunao no Na.... (hard to say I love you lol)

Hana Yori Dango (mostly the 2nd season)

Gokusen 2+3

Kinda Orthorus no Inu (it had like 2 good episodes but...... Tackeywas pretty hot ^^)

Oh! And Hana Kimi (yeah 6 whatever lol)

(I would say dramas with Yamashita in them but the other cast members did well and it turn out alright... sorry Yamashita fans >_<)
Image

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 680
Joined: May 23rd, '09, 00:06
Location: USA

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 20th, '11, 17:52

1. Proposal Daisakusen - Couldn't stand to watch anything past the 1st epi. hallelujah chance every 5 seconds :alcoholic:
2. Nodame Cantible - It was funny & I loved watching it but it's not the best Jdrama just because Ueno Juri was in it. :cussing: What about Tamaki Hiroshi and Nagayama Eita? I loved their characters too! :argue:
3. Hana Kimi - Had a couple of funny scenes but outside of the small comedic elements, this one is way lacking :whistling:
4. Orange Days - Nice drama but I've seen better :scratch:
5. Nobuta wo Produce - It was plain and ordinary :glare:
Now watching: Need to find some new dramas

ssih
Posts: 232
Joined: Sep 6th, '08, 18:34
Location: Boston

Post by ssih » Feb 20th, '11, 18:07

The premise of this thread seems a little silly to me. Everyone's list is simply a case of "This was a popular show that I didn't particularly like." If you disagree with everyone and you didn't like it, there's nothing wrong with that, but saying that everyone else is wrong and the show is overrated leads me to believe that you're kind of full of yourself. Perhaps you just didn't get the show. Or perhaps there was one specific theme that simply rubs you the wrong way. Maybe that b1tch ex-girlfriend recommended it. But if it's rated highly and everyone (except you) really likes it, then it's properly rated.

User avatar
The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict
Posts: 694
Joined: May 23rd, '09, 07:30

Post by The Chaos » Feb 20th, '11, 18:17

Really?? Hana Yori Dango name come to this thread :scratch:
its best J-drama I've seen :wub:


anyway to me :

Proposal Daisakusen
Gokusen - season 2 and 3
Hana Kimi

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Feb 20th, '11, 19:41

ssih wrote:The premise of this thread seems a little silly to me. Everyone's list is simply a case of "This was a popular show that I didn't particularly like." If you disagree with everyone and you didn't like it, there's nothing wrong with that, but saying that everyone else is wrong and the show is overrated leads me to believe that you're kind of full of yourself. Perhaps you just didn't get the show. Or perhaps there was one specific theme that simply rubs you the wrong way. Maybe that b1tch ex-girlfriend recommended it. But if it's rated highly and everyone (except you) really likes it, then it's properly rated.
Well I think when there's a lot of hype in it it makes the show overrated... because there was so much hype around Last Friends with the whole themes and such... but with the script changing and detours... it wasn't that great. And I feel the same with Hard to Say I love You with again, Eita and Juri but it kinda went bad toward the middle and in the end. There was way too much hype for the series (I'm also talking about particular on this forum anyway) and the outcome was kinda.... meh. I hate it when specific people star in a show that it automatically makes it "great."
Image

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2129
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Feb 20th, '11, 20:03

iluvasiandrama wrote:1. Proposal Daisakusen - Couldn't stand to watch anything past the 1st epi. hallelujah chance every 5 seconds :alcoholic:
2. Nodame Cantible - It was funny & I loved watching it but it's not the best Jdrama just because Ueno Juri was in it. :cussing: What about Tamaki Hiroshi and Nagayama Eita? I loved their characters too! :argue:
3. Hana Kimi - Had a couple of funny scenes but outside of the small comedic elements, this one is way lacking :whistling:
4. Orange Days - Nice drama but I've seen better :scratch:
5. Nobuta wo Produce - It was plain and ordinary :glare:
If you're saying Nodame is one of the five most overrated J-Dramas of all time, why do you have it as your avatar?

Doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever. :scratch:

That's like having my username and hating BMWs. :blink
If you need me to seed Ueno Juri-chan or Yonekura Ryoko-chan stuff, please PM me. :salut:

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Feb 20th, '11, 20:11

bmwracer wrote:
iluvasiandrama wrote:1. Proposal Daisakusen - Couldn't stand to watch anything past the 1st epi. hallelujah chance every 5 seconds :alcoholic:
2. Nodame Cantible - It was funny & I loved watching it but it's not the best Jdrama just because Ueno Juri was in it. :cussing: What about Tamaki Hiroshi and Nagayama Eita? I loved their characters too! :argue:
3. Hana Kimi - Had a couple of funny scenes but outside of the small comedic elements, this one is way lacking :whistling:
4. Orange Days - Nice drama but I've seen better :scratch:
5. Nobuta wo Produce - It was plain and ordinary :glare:
If you're saying Nodame is one of the five most overrated J-Dramas of all time, why do you have it as your avatar?

Doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever. :scratch:

That's like having my username and hating BMWs. :blink
Overrated doesn't mean you don't like it or hate it... it could also be people giving it too many praises than what it really deserves (I like Nodame so I'm not applying it to Nodame)But the user clearly did say they loved the show so... yeah... I can kinda understand when she/he is coming from because a show isn't the best because of a particular actress/actor is starring in it.
Image

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2129
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Feb 20th, '11, 20:16

ssih wrote:The premise of this thread seems a little silly to me. Everyone's list is simply a case of "This was a popular show that I didn't particularly like." If you disagree with everyone and you didn't like it, there's nothing wrong with that, but saying that everyone else is wrong and the show is overrated leads me to believe that you're kind of full of yourself. Perhaps you just didn't get the show. Or perhaps there was one specific theme that simply rubs you the wrong way. Maybe that b1tch ex-girlfriend recommended it. But if it's rated highly and everyone (except you) really likes it, then it's properly rated.
This thread just asks what each person's individual opinion as to what they think is overrated and not a discussion of what is overrated or not.

And why is a dissenting voice considered to be full of themselves?

Sounds like you're saying the reverse is true: the majority is right and the minority is wrong... And they aren't allowed to voice their opposing opinions. :sweat:
If you need me to seed Ueno Juri-chan or Yonekura Ryoko-chan stuff, please PM me. :salut:

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Feb 20th, '11, 20:43

I would add Water Boys to my list... it was good. I loved the movie & the first season was decent but the second one wasn't needed and I wasn't even gonna bother watching that special. I'm not sure if I would call that overrated or just... trying to suck money out of the movie franchise thingy (I kinda feel that way about Gokusen. It was obviously popular for having an anime, 3 dramas, 1 SP and a movie but... those last 2 seasons wasn't needed and again, I didn't bother with the movie lol) But that's just me personally because I'm guessing the people in Japan really loved the story (so much they decided to make Misaki Number One a drama lol)
Image

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 680
Joined: May 23rd, '09, 00:06
Location: USA

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 20th, '11, 21:40

bmwracer wrote:
iluvasiandrama wrote:1. Proposal Daisakusen - Couldn't stand to watch anything past the 1st epi. hallelujah chance every 5 seconds :alcoholic:
2. Nodame Cantible - It was funny & I loved watching it but it's not the best Jdrama just because Ueno Juri was in it. :cussing: What about Tamaki Hiroshi and Nagayama Eita? I loved their characters too! :argue:
3. Hana Kimi - Had a couple of funny scenes but outside of the small comedic elements, this one is way lacking :whistling:
4. Orange Days - Nice drama but I've seen better :scratch:
5. Nobuta wo Produce - It was plain and ordinary :glare:
If you're saying Nodame is one of the five most overrated J-Dramas of all time, why do you have it as your avatar?

Doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever. :scratch:

That's like having my username and hating BMWs. :blink

I will keep the Avatar. I never said I hated it SHEESH!
I stated the obvious reasons why I love it but it's overrated because people idolize Ueno Juri in this one so much that it actually takes away from her, not add to her as an actress. People expect to see Nodame's character in everything else she is in or else they don't giver her due admonition and that is sad. THIS IS MY OWN OPINION. You don't have to be offended by my own 5 overrated dramas and of course you are free to disagree but that is MY 5 overrated dramas. :argue:
Now watching: Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2129
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Feb 20th, '11, 23:56

iluvasiandrama wrote:
bmwracer wrote:
iluvasiandrama wrote:1. Proposal Daisakusen - Couldn't stand to watch anything past the 1st epi. hallelujah chance every 5 seconds :alcoholic:
2. Nodame Cantible - It was funny & I loved watching it but it's not the best Jdrama just because Ueno Juri was in it. :cussing: What about Tamaki Hiroshi and Nagayama Eita? I loved their characters too! :argue:
3. Hana Kimi - Had a couple of funny scenes but outside of the small comedic elements, this one is way lacking :whistling:
4. Orange Days - Nice drama but I've seen better :scratch:
5. Nobuta wo Produce - It was plain and ordinary :glare:
If you're saying Nodame is one of the five most overrated J-Dramas of all time, why do you have it as your avatar?

Doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever. :scratch:

That's like having my username and hating BMWs. :blink

I will keep the Avatar. I never said I hated it SHEESH!
I stated the obvious reasons why I love it but it's overrated because people idolize Ueno Juri in this one so much that it actually takes away from her, not add to her as an actress. People expect to see Nodame's character in everything else she is in or else they don't giver her due admonition and that is sad. THIS IS MY OWN OPINION. You don't have to be offended by my own 5 overrated dramas and of course you are free to disagree but that is MY 5 overrated dramas. :argue:
Jesus Freaking Christ, calm down.... I was only asking... You don't have to get pissy.

Sorry I brought it up. :pale:
If you need me to seed Ueno Juri-chan or Yonekura Ryoko-chan stuff, please PM me. :salut:

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 680
Joined: May 23rd, '09, 00:06
Location: USA

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 21st, '11, 00:25

I felt the same way reading your critique of my critique.
Now watching: Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
lollercopter
Posts: 215
Joined: Sep 13th, '08, 08:33

Post by lollercopter » Feb 23rd, '11, 13:44

arminna wrote:definately Hana Yori Dango!
I have not watched it (I am not exactly the intended audience), but the impression it gives me is that it appeals to the lowest common denominator of its target demographic and is of no interest to anyone else.
ssih wrote:The premise of this thread seems a little silly to me. Everyone's list is simply a case of "This was a popular show that I didn't particularly like." If you disagree with everyone and you didn't like it, there's nothing wrong with that, but saying that everyone else is wrong and the show is overrated leads me to believe that you're kind of full of yourself. Perhaps you just didn't get the show. Or perhaps there was one specific theme that simply rubs you the wrong way. Maybe that b1tch ex-girlfriend recommended it. But if it's rated highly and everyone (except you) really likes it, then it's properly rated.
Appealing to the majority is a logical fallacy.

spazzy06
Posts: 19
Joined: Aug 31st, '08, 19:58

Post by spazzy06 » Feb 27th, '11, 07:49

Orthorus no Inu- I felt like the screenwriter wanted me to care more about the characters than I actually did.
Hana Kimi- OTT overload.
Nodame Cantible- See Hana Kimi
Proposal Daisakusen- The stubbornness of the leads annoyed me. Seriously, just admit you like each and be done with it.
Last Friends- A bad melodrama.
Akai Ito- Seems like the screenwriter added controversial issues just for the sake of having controversial issues.
Sunao ni Narenakute- I can't believe the great Kitagawa Eriko wrote such trash.
Galileo- The leads had weak chemistry and because of that the repetitive bantering got old really fast. (Where it does work- Trick 1, 2, 3, the movies, etc)
Pride
Hero- If I ever see Kimura Takuya wear orange again I will scream.

Yeah, obviously not top 5. (I got carried away) I turned it into top 10.

User avatar
Junsui
Posts: 3
Joined: May 7th, '06, 18:57
Location: US/Japan

Post by Junsui » Feb 27th, '11, 08:26

I havent watched J-dramas recently but I'll try to come up with 5.

1: Gokusen: As others have stated it seems like it was more about putting pretty boys in front of a camera than about entertaining people with skilled acting/compelling plot. I mean seriously the vast majority of idols can't act well at all but when you throw 10+ of them together it gets really bad.. Being a guy, the pretty boys don't do anything for me.

2. Hanizakari no Kimitachi e: See Gokusen ^

3. Nobuta wo Produce: At the time I liked it because I was new to dramas but now that I've seen more. It was just alright.

4. Water Boys II: It just seemed so forced.

5. Taiyou no Uta

User avatar
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6067
Joined: Apr 9th, '06, 11:27
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Keiko1981 » Feb 27th, '11, 09:16

curlywurly wrote:Mmm, I would have to include pretty much everything that stars those pretty boy, bubblegum pop boyband/singers, dramas that are tailor made for fangirls.
You hit the nail.

User avatar
senbon zakura
Posts: 38
Joined: Oct 11th, '05, 01:29
Location: Home (next to Page Up)

Post by senbon zakura » Feb 27th, '11, 09:17

IMHO in no particular order:

Gokusen: Season 1 was some what entertaining and script wasn't bad, but the following 2 seasons was just rubbish and Nakama Yukie's character started to annoy me. As one forumer put's it; 'recycled joke and nothing more than a fangirl ratings grab'. Never understood a need for the movie too.

Triangle: Ep 1 was intriguing and captured my interest, but I lost it from ep 3 onwards. The show became dull and the plot was just vexing throughout the show.

My Boss My Hero: I love a good drama with slapstick comedy but this one was just a bit too much and overly exaggerated and that killed it for me + I've seen Nagase Tomoya in way better comedy that this (e.g. Tiger & Dragon).

Shimokita Sundays: Where do I even begin, storyline was slow and challenging to apprehend, script was not amusing and flat. Felt sorry for Aya her character didn't do this drama justice. The drama just wasn't finessed.

Can't make up my mind for no.5, so I'll leave it at that for now.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 1st, '11, 03:27

spazzy06 wrote:Orthorus no Inu- I felt like the screenwriter wanted me to care more about the characters than I actually did.
Hana Kimi- OTT overload.
Nodame Cantible- See Hana Kimi
Proposal Daisakusen- The stubbornness of the leads annoyed me. Seriously, just admit you like each and be done with it.
Last Friends- A bad melodrama.
Akai Ito- Seems like the screenwriter added controversial issues just for the sake of having controversial issues.
Sunao ni Narenakute- I can't believe the great Kitagawa Eriko wrote such trash.
Galileo- The leads had weak chemistry and because of that the repetitive bantering got old really fast. (Where it does work- Trick 1, 2, 3, the movies, etc)
Pride
Hero- If I ever see Kimura Takuya wear orange again I will scream.

Yeah, obviously not top 5. (I got carried away) I turned it into top 10.
Akai Ito reminded me of another drama similar to that... can't think of it.... a bunch of controversial stuff... hmm.... well it kinda made me think of Koizora but I do think Akai Ito was a bit overrated. It was meh... kinda forgot some of the stuff from it lol (I remember Ryo slapping her and the druggie mom... that's about it lol!!)

I couldn't watch more of Proposal Daisakusen... I'm not a Yamashita fan (but the reason why I don't like him is... well his roles that I've seen are a bit... similar and he's there like in this one ^^;;) But after 2 episodes of the show.. Masami pissed me off and so did Yamashita. Oh he must be a horrible guy for not noticing what was it..a. birthday gift or something? I dunno but it's things like that which makes so much "drama" out of stuff... and it's not that big of a deal. The premise of the story seems nice but yeah... didn't like the characters (and I'm not fans of the two leads lol)

Wat does OTT mean ;_;?
Image

User avatar
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6067
Joined: Apr 9th, '06, 11:27
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 1st, '11, 11:45

«minah» wrote:Wat does OTT mean ;_;?
Over the Top: (idiomatic) Bold; beyond normal, expected, or reasonable limits; excessive; outrageous.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 1st, '11, 14:18

Keiko1981 wrote:
«minah» wrote:Wat does OTT mean ;_;?
Over the Top: (idiomatic) Bold; beyond normal, expected, or reasonable limits; excessive; outrageous.
Ok I just didn't know what it stood for is all lol Thanks
Image

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Mar 1st, '11, 15:42

it seems that people are mixing up "dramas you don't like" with this thread in some posts. some of the dramas have hardly any high rating let alone been over rated. for example Orthus no Inu had 6-9 rating and it was NOT that popular any way. (but it was my guilty pleasure even it was not good at all)
Image

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 1st, '11, 20:11

Issy wrote:it seems that people are mixing up "dramas you don't like" with this thread in some posts. some of the dramas have hardly any high rating let alone been over rated. for example Orthus no Inu had 6-9 rating and it was NOT that popular any way. (but it was my guilty pleasure even it was not good at all)
But it came off as really over-hyped (well to me it did). For me it's not just about ratings, but I take in consideration of this forum. I'm not too knowledgeable in the rating system in Japan and what ratings are considered high according to what channel and what time. So I do base my opinion on overrated shows according to this and other English-speaking sites (and also if people said it had high ratings but I still think it sucked lol). And I know there are people who are fans of a certain actor/actress and say a show is reeeeeally good but it may only be good/popular because of that particular person was in it.

Aren't some shows affected by ratings because of a game or other once a season/year thing on TV?
Image

User avatar
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6067
Joined: Apr 9th, '06, 11:27
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 1st, '11, 20:23

«minah» wrote:Aren't some shows affected by ratings because of a game or other once a season/year thing on TV?
I agree with this, seasonal, possibly Golden Week, summer and so on.

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Mar 1st, '11, 22:13

Orthus no Inu was just an example. Maybe I shouldn't bring up the rating issue because it's right what you said. Not every great/good drama has high rating and not every crap one has low rating. What I wanted to say that personal prefrences is getting mixed up in this thread. I do too base my opinion on English sites like DA.

I think most of idol cast dramas are mostly overrated anyway. You just can't escape biased opinions of their fan girls/boys. No matter how much that drama sucks, you will always read posts after post on how great it was. :mrgreen:
Image

User avatar
Kazu1582
Posts: 21
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 11:23

Post by Kazu1582 » Mar 1st, '11, 22:20

Most overhyped is of course Hana Yori Dango, imo it was enjoyable at times, buut overall mostly annoying, because it was repetetive, full of lame jokes and no depth at all. The story is so flat. xD

Did someone already mention Liar Game? Very overrated, interesting concept, but imo the acting was so bad O__O I could barely watch it at all… Seriously don't know why it's so popular.

Another one is Yukan Club. I mean, I'm a huge fan of KAT-TUN, but this was really hard to watch, so PWP, like, was there even a storyline? I always read this as recommendation as funny drama, I didn't think it was funny.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 1st, '11, 22:53

Issy wrote:Orthus no Inu was just an example. Maybe I shouldn't bring up the rating issue because it's right what you said. Not every great/good drama has high rating and not every crap one has low rating. What I wanted to say that personal prefrences is getting mixed up in this thread. I do too base my opinion on English sites like DA.

I think most of idol cast dramas are mostly overrated anyway. You just can't escape biased opinions of their fan girls/boys. No matter how much that drama sucks, you will always read posts after post on how great it was. :mrgreen:
Ah ok. Yeah I try not to let personal preference get in the way. Actually Othorus wasn't a bad example though. Because I did feel like it was hyped up and compared a lot with Maou since it had similar themes and of course Johnnys lol But there were too many loop holes and I think only a few episodes were good (this was before I was really big on Tackey... I think he was decent in the role and still super hot lol But it made me check out Forbidden Love.) But yeah... I really hate having a franchise or popularity make me re-think of opinion on some stuff. Perfect example! FF7 Advent Children. No one cared for the story... they only cared for the fighting, graphics, Sephiroth & Cloud, and both of their ultimate limit breakers (well majority of fans) Movie was beautiful visually but the story.. .eh. Not sure if it related too much with the other spin-off stuff other people have to read/watch/play to "get" the story or care for it. So it was really overrated and overhyped. (think Spirits Within had the same fate too... looked pretty but really didn't relate too much with the whole FF franchise in general except for 1 thing) And I'm not as big as a Final Fantasy fan as I use to be (I was a huge dork lol) but I stopped lying to myself about SW being a good movie lol

Sorry for the long post lol I feel like I can't explain my thoughts clearly so I tend to type too much
Image

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Mar 1st, '11, 23:35

OK, HYD was very popular ( and i love it too) but somehow i can't think of it as an over rated drama for some reasons. over-rated dramas basically mean they are crap. but HYD was not bad at all. it was entertaining enough and enjoyable.
same thing goes with Gokusen. the first one was good until they decided to make 2 and 3, 4 (?) and i could read pages and pages on how great were the sequels while story lines were all repetitive and recycled.

and I think that Kimutaku and his dramas are always over rated. sometimes even before they being on air. with the exception of his last one. to me, he is an OK actor. not great but has his charms. i have enjoyed one or two of his dramas but at the same time i just can't see all these fuss about him. no offence to his fans.

ps. regarding Tackey, he is one of those actors that i have a weird fangirl crush on him that makes me watch every thing he does even though i know they might not be the best or even good drama. i thought he was very good in OnI though :P

ps. I just came to realise that we unconsciously mix our personal preferences here. my post might indicate this too. that's why i have to acknowledge it here. don't want to sound like a hypocrite. :P
Image

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 2nd, '11, 00:02

Now the reason I can't completely say HYD is overrated (at least season 1 anyway.. .wasn't too big on 2 and honestly I forgot half of it just knew Toma was in the first eppy >_>) is because it's been remade like.. ALL over Asia. Do people know the many versions of this manga?

Manga, 1995 movie, anime, anime movie, TWN drama (2 seasons I think), JPN drama (2 seasons) JPN movie again, Korean drama (did that have 2 seasons?) either a Chinese or Hong Kong version I forgot which one.. AND a Vietnamese version! So though I'm not crazy about the story or Jun in the JPN version, there's something this thing has for it to have so many adaptions lol (but maybe someone really really thinks this story sucks so bad that it doesn't need that many adaptions lol )

Not even just Gokusen season 2 + 3 but Misaki Number 1 is just another Gokusen... just with Karina, her being an ex-hostess and throw in a few girls in the class... and replace the JE boys lol (and when you thought it was over with the movie lol)

I don't think I will ever understand Kimura's charm and impact in Japan since well one... I'm waaaay younger than his generation so not like I grew up during those times and two well.. he's in Japan so with those two reasons combined well... I can't really see what's super super special about him but I do know just about all of his dramas have a high rating (I know 20% is really good lol) and SMAP is the like... Japan's biggest group. But since I'm not into guy singers and really into them I don't know their charm and how big they were in Japan during their prime. But I can say he does his bring his characters out more. (I personally like Abe Hiroshi more ^^;;)

I have kinda weird crush on Tackey too I like his cute face... which can be evil (like in OnI) but Forbidden Love... that show really did blow me away. I watched a few of his older stuff (since he hasn't been in any dramas lately) but I would like to see his plays ;_; (since he broke so many records in Japanese theater) But yeah I don't think anyone was particularly bad in OnI I think the writing was kinda eh.... Asami did stupid stuff as a cop but it wasn't really her fault... it was the writers/directors ^^;
Image

User avatar
Kazu1582
Posts: 21
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 11:23

Post by Kazu1582 » Mar 4th, '11, 21:03

«minah» wrote:Now the reason I can't completely say HYD is overrated (at least season 1 anyway.. .wasn't too big on 2 and honestly I forgot half of it just knew Toma was in the first eppy >_>) is because it's been remade like.. ALL over Asia. Do people know the many versions of this manga?

Manga, 1995 movie, anime, anime movie, TWN drama (2 seasons I think), JPN drama (2 seasons) JPN movie again, Korean drama (did that have 2 seasons?) either a Chinese or Hong Kong version I forgot which one.. AND a Vietnamese version! So though I'm not crazy about the story or Jun in the JPN version, there's something this thing has for it to have so many adaptions lol (but maybe someone really really thinks this story sucks so bad that it doesn't need that many adaptions lol );
I knew there were so many versions (actually I think there are even 2 chinese versions, one from 2010 I believe, the korean version had one season, but just as many episodes as the japanese one in total) and every version is one too much, I think it's an okay drama, but it's way overrated, I even watched both the japanese and the korean version and some of the anime xD The korean version is even more annoying than the japanese though I like Lee Minho and Kim Beom better than Matsumoto Jun. But actually I was about to punch people after each season in both cases. xD
The story is just way repetitive and cliché, there's better stuff out there which should get as much attention ;D

LaLaLaDRAMA
Posts: 116
Joined: Jul 28th, '07, 23:53
Location: sunnytown CALI

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Mar 7th, '11, 04:23

arminna wrote:
LaLaLaDRAMA wrote: For me, the most overrated would be GOKUSEN. The first one was good. But they kept on doing the same thing season after season and it was still popular!
i am madly in love with Gokusen, so i dont think so. especially when you read manga, i think that they did a great job dividing all the different stories into three seasons. of course they couldnt help but to repete some stories (i think the ones that were twice was that the daddy was rich and wanted some cute guy to stop going to school and the smart kids beating worse students) so i do understand where your opinion came from :)
this was the drama that encouraged me to watch more of them (after HYD i was really this close to give up :D). its light, funny, and there are some cute faces there ^^
Haha. I'm not going to lie. I watched every season of GOKUSEN. It was so predictable, but for some reason, I watched every episode including the specials! I just thought that the popularity of GOKUSEN and Nakama Yukie was overrated.

bugs_3v
Posts: 27
Joined: Dec 6th, '10, 18:02

Post by bugs_3v » Mar 15th, '11, 04:59

im a big fan of proposal daisakusen and yamapi too but i also agree that he always have the same character on his role it never changes but thats the reason why i like him coz i can always relate to his character....lol....

TiLao
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 15th, '11, 14:31

Post by TiLao » Mar 15th, '11, 14:47

I think these were overrated and when i say overrated i use the definition from online merriman webster: to rate, value, or estimate too highly.

HYD - No need for season 2, just end it with 1.
GTO - It was ok but boring. I like classroom stuff but jdorama is notorious for this kind.
Nodame Cantible - Why is it that she(Nodame) has male rival?? Weird.
Gokusen - It was alright 8) but come on it's average drama
Hana Kimi - Maki-chan character was to irritating. overrated recycled flop.

User avatar
Juneau
Posts: 28
Joined: Mar 3rd, '11, 20:15

Post by Juneau » Mar 15th, '11, 16:45

Nobuta wo Produce -srly everyone was praising it, but watching it made me wanna fall asleep asap.. dunno *expects to get bricked for that comment*

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 15th, '11, 17:47

Juneau wrote:Nobuta wo Produce -srly everyone was praising it, but watching it made me wanna fall asleep asap.. dunno *expects to get bricked for that comment*
For me I liked it... like I'm not crazy over the show, nor am I crazy of the 3 leads (I think the only one I kinda like is Kame... and I'm very meh about it) because I think that's why many like it (Yamashita got on my nerves too much in that show... omg.... When I looked up to watch it on dramawiki I was like "Oh.. that little boy from IWGP." But he seemed like an exaggerated King from IWGP. It came off as overacting to me)

But anywho the show has something that made me wanna keep it. I think I liked the overall classroom environmental and I dunno... it wasn't that exaggerated like other school dramas (except for Maki's character).. it wasn't super serious, nor was it super comical. I won't say it's realistic, but it was more believable than other school dramas ^^;; But if people were super crazy over it and hyped it up, then I would agree it was a bit overrated. (like I said, I think many only liked it because of Yamashita the most, Kame, and Maki) but to me, I don't think my favorite celebs make a show good or the best. (I love Keiko but I don't think Lady is that great of a drama... it's like a rollercoaster that has some ups but as many downs as well)
Image

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2129
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Mar 15th, '11, 18:26

TiLao wrote:Nodame Cantible - Why is it that she(Nodame) has male rival?? Weird.
Her male rival was gay.
If you need me to seed Ueno Juri-chan or Yonekura Ryoko-chan stuff, please PM me. :salut:

User avatar
ryan69flow
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 10th, '11, 01:49

Post by ryan69flow » Mar 17th, '11, 13:49

Juneau wrote:Nobuta wo Produce -srly everyone was praising it, but watching it made me wanna fall asleep asap.. dunno *expects to get bricked for that comment*
:O I'm appalled at that comment. I loved that series and still love it with a passion.

For me it's probably Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge. Felt like a pop star pretty boy show with no real interesting aspects. The character development always felt rushed, like one character would be neutral then out of the blue have a huge issue. Plus the end was totally garbage to me.

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Mar 17th, '11, 14:49

I have to second above post too. I really enjoyed NWP and i thought it deserved all the buzz around it. it was something different and I even liked watching Maki in there when i hardly can stand her in any other drama.
also have to agree with Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge. it was pure crap and was dropped half way through. it was full of exaggeration and bad and over the top acting. i wanted to strangle the girl everytime she said Mabushii :crazy:
Image

User avatar
arminna
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 26th, '10, 17:29
Location: Aberdeen/Minas Tirith

Post by arminna » Mar 17th, '11, 15:01

i think you guys are missing the point of this thread. in my opinion it should be pointing out dramas PLUS giving reasons for that. mostly all i can see is ranting at whatever has idols in it.
the best example is the post above:
Issy wrote: it was pure crap and was dropped half way through. it was full of exaggeration and bad and over the top acting. i wanted to strangle the girl everytime she said Mabushii :crazy:
this had absolutely NO substantial value whatsoever, just pointing out that you disliked the main hero. don't get me wrong, its not i liked her but i simply dont think that it is enough reason to say that it is overrated.

and the other way around - if you want to defend your drama write something more than: I loved it, you're wrong. it looks very childlish.

and concerning Nobuta - it was not a bad drama, but i personally fail to see it as an exceptional or excellent. it is just nice drama about school and friendship but there are much better concerning the same topic. so dont

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Mar 17th, '11, 15:31

arminna wrote:i think you guys are missing the point of this thread. in my opinion it should be pointing out dramas PLUS giving reasons for that. mostly all i can see is ranting at whatever has idols in it.
the best example is the post above:
Issy wrote: it was pure crap and was dropped half way through. it was full of exaggeration and bad and over the top acting. i wanted to strangle the girl everytime she said Mabushii :crazy:
this had absolutely NO substantial value whatsoever, just pointing out that you disliked the main hero. don't get me wrong, its not i liked her but i simply dont think that it is enough reason to say that it is overrated.

and the other way around - if you want to defend your drama write something more than: I loved it, you're wrong. it looks very childlish.

and concerning Nobuta - it was not a bad drama, but i personally fail to see it as an exceptional or excellent. it is just nice drama about school and friendship but there are much better concerning the same topic. so dont
WOW, excuse me for writing "very Childish" post when this thread is full a very similar posts like this and you chosen to quote me. if you have read all previous post, I did also mentioned people's confusion about this thread and got to the point where that you can not separate this two issues from each other.

want it or not, personal preferences will always play an important factors in this thread. and I do believe that i have stated my " substantial value" in naming it an over-rated drama by saying the acting was bad and exaggerated. I did not bring up the idol subject.

as for NWP, i liked it because the acting was good enough and enjoyable. the storylines and characters were interesting and not your average students and even teachers, the comedy was clever and it had a refreshing look at problems students face in their school. high school. not to mention its OST . you can always argue that this is my personal opinion and i will say yes. that's how i see it.
looking forward to read more mature posts.
Last edited by Issy on Mar 17th, '11, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 680
Joined: May 23rd, '09, 00:06
Location: USA

Post by iluvasiandrama » Mar 17th, '11, 15:56

In my opinion NWP was overrated because they focused on idol casting instead of a good story. People seemed to favor the drama because of idols they enjoy instead of looking more maturely into the storyline and characters' roles. Having said that I DO IT ALL THE TIME, we all do whether we know it or not.

I think Nobuta's character was extremely irritating too but the storyline was lacking as well. There were a few funny parts that I actually did have a good laugh but is was still corny and uninteresting. Again, I think that NWP was overrated due to idol casting but the bad story didn't help it either. Just my own opinion which we are all entitled to and thus the purpose of these discussion threads. :roll :mrgreen:
Now watching: Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 17th, '11, 16:42

I would say if YamatoShichi was overrated.. but I'm not sure how popular and hyped up it was (if it was... then that show is DEFINITELY overrate) the story was kinda bad... i heard the manga is better (as usual) but even putting the manga story aside... it was offending to see mindless shallow girls throwing themselves at what they called "the 4 hottest guys man ever known" (for the most part... and really... they weren't that breath-taking) It was an embarrassment to watch the opening theme/dance... omg it was bad. It was too much over-the-top like someone mentioned... Nodame is over the top, but I think its comedy is a lot funnier than this show. I see the lesson Yamato tried to portray (don't judge a book by its cover... people are more than just a pretty face...) but yeah... a parent who can't bare to look at her son's "mabushiiiiii!" face because of all of the girls that came to the house?! Where were the parents at!? But I hate it when shows like this have to.... just..... I dunno it feels degrading.... because if the girl wasn't a main character she was another senseless mindless girl who can give a crap about life and only about these four guys (I felt like this with that anime Vampire Knight...) I only stuck with it because I wanted to see a different character being portrayed by Aya ^^;; Other than that.... (I actually don't think Kame sucked in it.... I think he accomplished the role... it was more like... he had to be stuck in this drama.... because really when you think about it... isn't the reason the drama being aired with those 3 guys kinda like... contradicts the premise of the show? People are more than just a pretty face but.... they're watching it because of the "pretty faces" of the Johnny Boys ^^;; )
Image

paulinavita
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 16th, '11, 12:06

Post by paulinavita » Mar 24th, '11, 05:05

un un
it's definitely GOKUSENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
like ERRR........ tbh, this drama epicly weirdddd. idk why someone cld even produce this thingy and keep the rating (it's quite good, afaik)
for HYD, i like it cause jun is there :/ (yeah im his spazzer orz lol)

boys over flower is the one which is overrated (i know this is korean but this is adapted from hyd so yahhh >_<)

about hana kimi, it's ok. though some parts are bit nonsense
www

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 24th, '11, 14:20

I just realized... many dramas that are pretty much reverse-harem/so many guys are kinda overrated.... it's only hyped up because of the pretty-faced guys.... so these dramas that are aimed for girls are pretty mindless in a way... Atashinchi no Dashi.... Mei-chan no Butler... like yeah I get the meaning behind them, but it was still really over the top with silly senseless things that happens. AnD wasn't too bad until they got to the last episode with that greedy dude ant that fight. I think I could stomach that show than any guy-filled drama. Mei-chan... well really people, how many watched it for either all of the guys, or for Hiro & Takeru? Because I know those two guys were part of the reason I did watch it (the plot didn't sound bad at the time ^^;;;;) But yeah the only good thing that came out of this show is getting exposed to other actors. I'm interested in Jutta Yuki and the bad guy from Majo no Saiban (who had the silver hair) But yeah, when you think back on these shows... were they really that good? It was like a Hana Yori Dango without 4 guys running the school but girls who probably can't get guys who cling on to their butlers that they can boss around. (and why would an old dude have 2 pretty-faced twins around him!? Is he keeping a secret?) But a lot of these shows that are filled with pretty-faced guys have so many mindless, not-so-likable girls that it makes me mad they can even represent girls like that in a way (but the main character is different)

So to conclude my long post, I tend to think dramas that are suppose to be /focused on attractive guys gets a bit overrated... because what's really earning the ratings of the show? The quality, or the eye candy?
Image

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2129
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Mar 24th, '11, 15:44

LOL, looks like Gokusen is the runaway winner so far. :lol
If you need me to seed Ueno Juri-chan or Yonekura Ryoko-chan stuff, please PM me. :salut:

User avatar
Archaenon
Posts: 442
Joined: Mar 17th, '07, 09:33
Contact:

Post by Archaenon » Mar 24th, '11, 16:01

1. Hana Kimi ( The Japanese version, it was a cliche/bad acting train-wreck)
2. Last Friends (I was so bored it didn't make sense)
3. Prodai ( I liked Prodai at the time, looking back it really wasn't that good)
4. Yasashii Jikan ( I love the story, but it was so tedious to watch )
5. Smile ( I wanted to like this so bad )

In my list, it seems like they are all fairly recent, maybe I've become more critical or Jdramas are slipping in quality. Some really good ones are completely under the radar while it seems the ones that high ratings follow are some of the worst, I dunno.

User avatar
ryoko11
Posts: 429
Joined: Jan 27th, '06, 15:43
Contact:

Post by ryoko11 » Mar 29th, '11, 02:11

1. Proposal Daisakusen -- Definitely add me to the list for ProDai. It started out with some really great potential, but it was so repetitive that the last few episodes were a chore to slog through. For someone who was so desperate to change his relationship, Ken just mostly sat on his butt until the last moment and then threw a Hail Mary pass hoping it would connect. His speech at Rei's wedding was just another of those, and I still find it sleazy. I'm thankful that the special actually touched on that, but there was just too much bad writing and acting on that series to get the massive amount of favorites that it still seems to earn. Rei's deliberately obtuse sabotaging of Ken could have been crafted so much better; instead of making her more sympathetic, it usually made her more unlikeable. The longer the series lasted, the less I liked either main character. To me that's a huge flaw in a series. I liked all the supporting characters better. The Tsuru/Eri romance was done so much better than the main one as far as I'm concerned.

2. Buzzer Beat -- Buzzer Beat isn't so bad a series, but it rehashes to many plots and ideas from Long Vacation and Pride in a dumbed down mishmash. Strange to see how juvenile and sexless the lead characters and their alternate love interests are in Buzzer Beat compared to the earlier dramas. Hearing people rave about the kisses in BB just makes me remember the wonderful kissing in LV and Pride, and I can't help but laugh. If it weren't for the fact that it's impossible for anyone who has seen the aforementioned series to watch Buzzer Beat without having all the obvious homages and borrows smacking them in the face and forcing them to mentally compare the series, Buzzer Beat would fare much better. Admittedly, BB did help me get over the distaste I felt for Aibu Saki after trying to watch Zettai Kareshi. I'd feel sorry for any woman being forced to endure those emotionless, deadfish kisses from the French toast fetishist. It's one of Yamapi's better acting jobs, but his role is forever in the shadow of Sena and Halu. BB's not a terrible drama by a longshot, but it gets way too much praise for a series that borrowed so much from better series.

3. Nobuta wo Produce -- Lots of drama fans consider this the best jdrama ever. It's a solidly enjoyable drama, but it's just not up to the hype for me. Shuji sometimes appeared too wooden on the screen, while Akira was a walking cartoon. Akira would be less jarring in a more cartoony series, but in NwP he often came across as either a guy mugging for the camera or someone suffering brain damage. The story was mostly good, but I really don't consider it so different from the average teenage drama. It had its share of plot contrivances (and that suicide dream deus ex machina still doesn't sit right with me), and Nobuta herself needed some more meat behind her character. The ending felt rushed to me. Many fans seem to cite that NwP reminds them of the romance or innocence of their highschool days, and perhaps part of why I don't feel as strongly enamored of NwP is the fact that while highschool was okay I prefer today to yesterday.

4. TRICK -- I really love this drama, so it hurts to have to admit that I think it is kinda overrated. TRICK seems to consistently be held by many as the benchmark to all other detective series. As much as I adore this series and would recommend it highly, I'm aware of the fact that some mysteries do get recycled and are a some are borrowed from other famous Japanese mysteries. For example, I enjoyed seeing how the handball song from the second TRICK special figures into the mystery versus the way that it fits into the Kindaichi Kosuke mystery, but the mysteries aren't really the strongest element of the series imo. The characters and humor are more of what keeps me coming back. Progress between the leads gets inexplicably dropped after a sudden breakthough later, and the show becomes wackier with each installment to the point of being even zanier now than in the first season. None of this stops me from enjoying TRICK thoroughly and from loving it to pieces, but I can admit that it isn't my benchmark for the entire mystery/detective genre.

5. Zettai Kareshi -- It's rare that I can't make it to the end of a drama. I've made it to the end of some real bombs (and even enjoyed some of them as a guilty pleasure). Zettai Kareshi is one of those rare dramas that I had to finally give up halfway through and then watched the end to see if they ever got better. For some reason, they aged the character from a highschool student to an adult but made her act less mature than the original teen. None of Riiko's actions made any sense in the drama... she treated the robot badly... then she had a change of heart and agreed to pay a million dollars for him.... only to treat him as a horrible nuissance and not take proper care of him again. Most of her actions in the drama struck me as immature and selfish. Instead of making her human romantic interest stronger (in the manga Soshi rather gets the shaft and felt like a fallback position... so there was lots of room for improvement) we get bizarre fascination with cream puffs and less reason to root for the pairing. By the time I checked back in for the final episode, the characters were a complete loss for me. The one thing I liked was Namikiri's relationship with Night, interesting father/son angle to it. Apparently, all my problems with the series were further magnified in the SP from reviews. This is the only drama that makes me cringe to hear it recommended to some poor unsuspecting drama fan.

User avatar
lovesituation
Posts: 128
Joined: Feb 24th, '10, 03:25
Location: U.S.
Contact:

Post by lovesituation » Mar 29th, '11, 03:22

Maou is pretty overrated to me. I like Toma, but I definitely don't think this was his best role and Ohno didn't act to well either, imo. I didn't really think it was all that thrilling and the suspense never built up for me. I've heard people say it's one of the best j-dramas ever (mostly some of my friends lol), but idk I thought it was boring and cliche.

Zettai Kareshi was overrated. I liked it, but it wasn't as good as everyone told me it was. It had a lot of eye candy but that was pretty much it.

Gokusen DEFINITELY. I could barely make it through season 1!

I also thought Freeter was pretty overrated. Definitely not Nino's best role and the whole drama was boring. I don't like how some people assume that just because Nino's in it, it's going to be ~amazing~.

Mei-chan no Shitsuji. I loved the drama, but there was really nothing to it other than a bunch of hot actors acting as butlers. :whistling: I think it got more hype than it deserves since the storyline was ZERO.

I definitely don't think HYD is overrated but I guess I can see why others would think so. :lol

User avatar
lovesituation
Posts: 128
Joined: Feb 24th, '10, 03:25
Location: U.S.
Contact:

Post by lovesituation » Mar 29th, '11, 03:24

Archaenon wrote: 5. Smile ( I wanted to like this so bad )
I agree with this. Although I did like Smile for attempting to make a touching drama about race/racism/prejudice, I thought overall it fell flat. It got waaaay too much hype imo.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 29th, '11, 03:36

@ryoko11

I do agree with you with the dramas I've seen (almost everything except TRICK... saw 2 episodes of Proposal)

Zettai Kareshi was a big let down... (especially to the fans of the manga) because like you said.... they changed her into an adult, but she was more immature than her manga counterpart. The manga wen into having a relationship with a robot... also blurring the lines between the two while the drama kept on bringing it up over and over and over again.... no one can see how a relationship between humans and robots can work if she keeps treating him like a robot and not even try. But it was a let down... people don't even have to know how the manga went to know this show was pretty bad ^^;;

Interesting that you brought up Pride for Buzzer Beat because I saw Pride just some months ago... I think it's ok but I did sometimes think of Buzzer Beat... but Halu is a better character than... Yamashita. (actually I think Pride only got better when the boyfriend moved back & the Doberman's incident... I forgot his name in the show... but I know he was Doberman from IWGP lol) But comparing those two shows... I think Pride is stronger.. I guess because the leads where just stronger characters... (not like early 20-something)

I would recommend Nobuta to people who are interested in a teen high-school drama that's not HanaKimi style lol. If they want something light but still holds its seriousness then that would be it. I think I only like how people started to slowly like Nobuta. I think it had a nice development, but yeah... this show could have had more episodes and not seem like it's stretching too much. It reminded others of highschool...? Wow... well, it did make me wish I went to a school like that... but my highschool was anything but innocent lol (if everyone getting pregnant and whoring around was innocent... lol)
Image

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 29th, '11, 20:29

I really didn't like Nobuta wo Produce. Maybe I didn't give a proper chance, I only watched the first episode, but I assumed from the way that so many people liked it that it would be interesting right from the start. I just didn't get the main characters at all, everything that happened seemed extremely over the top. I felt like they were trying to make high school seem 'super cool'.

I thought maybe it was because I'd left school by the time I watched it so I couldn't relate to high school drama but I watched the film for Kimi no Todoke a few days ago and loved it so maybe not. Why do people like Nobuta so much!
Last edited by emma-ba on Mar 29th, '11, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chihiro0103
Posts: 11
Joined: Oct 29th, '10, 23:16
Location: Romania

Post by chihiro0103 » Mar 29th, '11, 21:24

NwP was ok I guess, doesn't need much brain to say so,it's pretty light. But what I wanted to say it's about Yamanade. This drama was exactly like the manga, just the ending was different. I know the plot is pointless and exaggerated, but I'd blame it on the manga, since I think the acting was pretty good. The actors really portray the manga characters pretty good in my opinion.

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Mar 29th, '11, 22:06

I see many of the posters speak ill of zettai kareshi because the girl was childish or how she didn't try making a relationship with the robot.

first thing first: who in normal mind would want to have a relationship with a robot!?
I don't get why people complain about this. although it is drama we need some realistic element as well. she tries to get a relationship with hiro's character if i remember correctly and it was interesting that a human vs robot become rivals of love.

Also gokusen is a good drama esp first episode. I think it is the morals in it that they want viewers to look at and i think that is why the ratings were high. the actors at that time weren't that famous. they used actors who had the potential to become huge. Matsuyama Kenichi was there in first series as well as kamichi yusuke. In second season, mizushima hiro was there and i forgot others but the ones i mentioned were just an extra in the dramas but now are big name actors. So the "idol" ness arguement don't work here. and yet rating was high.

I think that those who watch dramas because of how hot actors are etc are people who aren't Japnaese and don't understand Japanese perfectly because really, what is the point of watching something that they don't understand without knowing the face right?

Real Japanese do not look at dramas because of who is in it.

And its funny how everyone says dramas that had high ratings in Japan. Shows that they don't understand story because they don't understand the language. the subtitles aren't always right and takes the meanings away which is why probably interenational people can't appreciate the actual story.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 29th, '11, 22:12

emma-ba wrote:I really didn't like Nobuta wo Produce. Maybe I didn't give a proper chance, I only watched the first episode, but I assumed from the way that so many people liked it that it would be interesting right from the start. I just didn't get the main characters at all, everything that happened seemed extremely over the top. I felt like they were trying to make high school seem 'super cool'.

I thought maybe it was because I'd left school by the time I watched it so I couldn't relate to high school drama but I watched the film for Kimi no Todoke a few days ago and loved it so maybe not. Why do people like Nobuta so much!
I don't like it for the characters... but I think it was interesting how they did kinda went in depth with Kame's "always trying to be cool with everyone in school" and I guess the conflict between his type of character with Maki's (she's not trying to to be cool... she's just being herself and because she's the ways he is... her weirdness gets liked ^^;;) I think I like the scenarios it had... and I think the theme of the show is being yourself. I think it is important because as simple as it sounds, people try so hard to be something they're not. Like people say, it's a light drama. I never got the impression that it made high school super cool though... but their particular class room environment well.. the students kinda came off as natural to me. The different type of kids: the weird bug guy, the tough gyaru, the cool guy, the normal girls, the tough looking dude, etc. Don't expect amazingness (like how a drama gets so hyped up because people think it's super amazing) and don't watch it for the cast (I kinda knew who Yamashita was at the time because I saw him in IWGP, and I knew who Kame was because he was in 1 pound gospel... I really am not crazy over Yamashita's acting and I think it was way over the top in this) but I think just take the drama as it is, and you can enjoy it. ^^
Image

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 29th, '11, 23:08

Kazzymon wrote:I think that those who watch dramas because of how hot actors are etc are people who aren't Japnaese and don't understand Japanese perfectly because really, what is the point of watching something that they don't understand without knowing the face right?

Real Japanese do not look at dramas because of who is in it.

And its funny how everyone says dramas that had high ratings in Japan. Shows that they don't understand story because they don't understand the language. the subtitles aren't always right and takes the meanings away which is why probably interenational people can't appreciate the actual story.
Wait a minute! Have you not heard of idols? Johnny's Entertaiment? They get hot guys to sing, dance and act. Drama that idols are in make money because people watch them. You can't suddenly claim 'real Japanese' don't care about idol culture.

slaiyfer93
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 29th, '11, 23:11

Post by slaiyfer93 » Mar 29th, '11, 23:17

I would have to say Nobuta wo Produce. I was just left with a so-so impression after the series. Nothing that special. Gokusen is recycled stuff with just new cast members. *yawn*

And digressing from the topic a lil. Issy, what's the name of that drama/movie in your picture? Looks nice =D

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 29th, '11, 23:20

@minah
You didn't watch it for the characters? Hmm, maybe it's not for me then. If I can't empathise with the characters it's hard for me to get into a drama. Right from the start I want to shake the boy and shout “Get over yourself! It's just school!!“. I can't relate to him at all. Thanks for your thoughts on it though!

el_canuck
Posts: 209
Joined: Apr 30th, '08, 18:38

Post by el_canuck » Mar 29th, '11, 23:26

Some of you people are "over-rated". Jdrama is not made for you, you are a parasite who watches free of commercials and can watch all the episodes at once if you want. These dramas are for the Japanese people, they are geared toward that culture. To sit in the US, Canada or elsewhere saying what the Japanese should or shouldn't watch is idiotic.
Hero, Beautiful Life and Good Luck are the most watched dramas of all time in Japan.
If you do not like them TOO BAD. Watch something else, but to act like a drama critic for the New York Times, makes you way over-rated or too stupid to understand what the drama is about. There are more hidden messages and meanings in JDrama than KDrama. If you do not understand then stay with KDrama.

Just list the shows you liked or disliked, for some newbies, this is where they come to to find a show to watch if they are new to downloading. We are supposed to help them. But when a show is top rated in Japan, then say it is a classic, don't put it down as bad.
Long Vacation, GTO, Hero, Kimi wa Petto, etc,. Are still being downloaded and watched on streaming sites, which means they have withstood the test of time. They are to be commended, not slammed.
Last edited by el_canuck on Mar 29th, '11, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 29th, '11, 23:40

^aren't you over-reacting? This is a thread about dramas that people think are over-rated. Hence people are talking about drama they don't like. We're expressing our personal opinions not judging the japanese as a whole on the quality of their drama. Sure, the drama you mentioned may be the most watched drama in japan but not everyone likes the same things therefore it's inevitable that there'll be those who don't like them.

Kazzymon
Posts: 75
Joined: Apr 11th, '10, 23:28

Post by Kazzymon » Mar 29th, '11, 23:51

Wait a minute! Have you not heard of idols? Johnny's Entertaiment? They get hot guys to sing, dance and act. Drama that idols are in make money because people watch them. You can't suddenly claim 'real Japanese' don't care about idol culture.[/quote]

Yes i know and of course i have heard about them.
im talking about dramas.

and i didn't say Japanese people don't care about idol culture.

They will watch dramas and of course they will give it a try
most of the time, the ones that gets high ratings aren't Johnny;s or dramas with idols.

Usually a drama with a good humane story gets higher or dramas that have been loved for many years like kinpachi sensei

That's why I'm saying for those criticising dramas that receive high ratings like HYD, NWP etc just because they use johnny's or idols, is really ignorant imo.

FYI HANA YORI DANGO for those of you who are saying they are using jonny's or idol with no story and blah blah, only Matsujun is considered idol. other three are actors.

btw I am Japanese so I appreciate stories with a deep meaning to it. and no i do not watch just because there are cute girls. although i watch and love all dramas done by Nakama Yukie because she is an amazing actress.

el_canuck
Posts: 209
Joined: Apr 30th, '08, 18:38

Post by el_canuck » Mar 29th, '11, 23:51

You are right, "Not everybody likes the same things" but guess what? THE JAPANESE LIKED THESE SHOWS. What YOU like is immaterial. The commercials are not made for you, you are not the target market, the Japanese are. The producers do not care what you think, they care what the Japanese think.

28 Apr, I land in Japan and I will ask around.

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 29th, '11, 23:59

Chill out! Are you saying if you're not Japanese you can't have an opinion on jdrama? I'm almost convinced you're trolling...

el_canuck
Posts: 209
Joined: Apr 30th, '08, 18:38

Post by el_canuck » Mar 30th, '11, 00:10

Just remember who does the rating, if the people of Japan like it and it is rated high and you slam it, are you not indirectly slamming the Japanese?

The US's top show is NCIS if a bunch of Europeans and Asians were slaming it and saying the show is bad, is not that a slam on the US?
Think about it.
When I get back from Japan I will write down my findings..

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 30th, '11, 00:26

I'm from Europe, I've seen NCIS on tv and I didn't like it. I'd rather watch Criminal Minds. This is my personal opinion, not an attack on the US. I also don't like some jdrama. Again, a personal opinion not an attack on Japan. Half my family is Japanese and they definitely don't care what drama I like. You are not a spokesman for Japan. Get over yourself.

User avatar
ryoko11
Posts: 429
Joined: Jan 27th, '06, 15:43
Contact:

Post by ryoko11 » Mar 30th, '11, 00:59

Kazzymon wrote:I see many of the posters speak ill of zettai kareshi because the girl was childish or how she didn't try making a relationship with the robot.

first thing first: who in normal mind would want to have a relationship with a robot!?
I don't get why people complain about this. although it is drama we need some realistic element as well. she tries to get a relationship with hiro's character if i remember correctly and it was interesting that a human vs robot become rivals of love.
Who in their right mind would agree to pay a million dollars for a sex robot that they didn't want? She had the chance to get out of it and didn't take it! It's ridiculous. Who would treat something like crap after agreeing to spend that much money for it and work like a dog for it? Again. It's ridiculous. There's nothing realistic about the drama or even halfway thought through, and the ham handed repetition of "but he's a machine" added nothing to the journey the characters made throughout the series for me. An initial resistance would have been explainable, but it continued way too long considering the overall story arc. Our discussion was very much about the writing and direction choices sabotaging the ending that the drama was pursuing. She picks Night. Night dies. How successful is your big emotional death scene, if you spent most of the drama having Riiko equating Night with a toaster? If you love the drama, that's your business; there's nothing in your post that is going to change my opinion of what I consider a substandard drama.

Her "relationship" with Hiro's character was just as poorly written in my opinion. I stated my disappointment with that in my original post too. They made him even more of the second choice guy than the manga, which is something I expressed my disappointment in already. They should have beefed up the love triangle and a human vs robot rivalry could have been interesting, but both relationships were left flat and pathetic, imo. All Soshi and Riiko seem to share is a fondness for cream puffs. Riiko's selfish behavior extends equally to how she treats Soshi, dumping him for Night and then using him for a fall back position, because the drama never convinced me that she really wanted him. She's not a character that I can find even remotely endearing, because she treats people and humanoid robots both poorly. That's what really makes her selfish and immature.


@emma-ba
I have friends in Europe and Asia who don't like NCIS, and it doesn't bother me or anyone else. LOL Never have met anyone from Japan who confused television preference with a national slam either. We generally have lovely conversations about programs. Don't worry about the troll. That's what the report button is for. :glare:

curlywurly
Posts: 19
Joined: Feb 19th, '11, 05:41
Location: up all night

Post by curlywurly » Mar 30th, '11, 01:35

el_canuck wrote:Just remember who does the rating, if the people of Japan like it and it is rated high and you slam it, are you not indirectly slamming the Japanese?

The US's top show is NCIS if a bunch of Europeans and Asians were slaming it and saying the show is bad, is not that a slam on the US?
Think about it.
When I get back from Japan I will write down my findings..
That is some twisted, nonsensical logic you have there. In what way is criticising a highly rated television show 'slamming' the citizens of the country in which a select few produced??

Ratings have never been a true barometer for a show's quality, even more so now that viewing habits have changed and continue to change. They do however have a direct correlation with how much money the show makes, and since when has the highest grossing product always been the best?

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 30th, '11, 01:39

You know I'm gonna try to ignore the above comment(s) on how non-Japanese have no right to give our opinions on what shows we think are overrated, as if we don't know these shows are for Japan (duh.... I think it's understood) because not everyone on this thread is referring to what JAPAN things is the greatest shows, but just people in this forum think are (because I honestly don't know which shows are really overrated and hyped up according to Japan's people but I can tell on this forum) Lady Gaga is overrated but it's not gonna hurt my "American pride" if some foreigner talks badly about her, her singing, & performance nor will I say "Oh she's not making music for you guys!" because I can care less.


@Kazzymon
For your first question in ZK... well... I mean, who in their right mind would think Maki was ever a guy in HanaKimi? "Mei's Butler"... I mean... that had so many crazy crap in that show I know none of it can be legal even if they are rich (it's not all suppose to be real... because that same question can be applied to many many many shows)
Yeah I watched Zettai Kareshi because I have the manga (I was like "cool, Mokomichi is in it and that guy from HanaKimi but they're not why I watched it)... and in the manga, Watase did try to have it work out between Riko and Night. In the live action, it wasn't much of an attempt... so it did contrast a bit too much between the manga and show though I respect they should be seen in its own way... but the drama should at least follow some of the basis the manga had besides: girl, robot, other guy, pay back money.... let's see what happens!

Gokusen season 1 was cool... I watched it because I kept hearing about it... and I didn't know that was Jun from Kimi wa Pet (I watched that show first.. he looked really different) nor did I know much about Johnnys then. Second season.... I was like... oh... well.. it's pretty much the same... hey its that dude from 1 pound gospel. But I didn't watch Gokusen for "hot guys." (Really how shallow do you think girls are?) Gokusen just seem to wanna have pretty face tough guys that spend a lot of time in the mirror (I mean,,, if they wanna get into fights so many times, why get their hair all done?) But there was no point in me finishing the 3rd season... it was pretty much the same thing and I wasn't crazy over the acting. (I couldn't take Haruma seriously because I just watched 14 year old mom >_>) I like a person's acting first before their looks. (some happen to look attractive lol) but if they did a role I enjoy, I will read what other dramas they were in. If the plot sounds interesting, then I will watch (it their are subs) Like Ueno Juri, I thought she was really enjoyable in Nodame (as well as Eita) so I kept an eye on their stuff.

@emma
Ah I'm sorry. I think for me, I have to like the story at least.... but if I don't like ANY of the characters (in Nobuta I didn't hate them.... they were tolerable) then I can't watch more because they're aggravating.

I wouldn't give a crap if someone bad-mouth NCIS (Japan pretty much talked about how outrageous us Americans are in Tokyo DOGS and no one got upset... I don't even like NSIC) Calling it a bad show isn't calling the US bad (we don't need a show to be called that) America already gets slammed as it is because our stuff is all over the frickin world and people base stuff off stereotypes. It depends on what is being badmouth, how, and why. A TV show doesn't represent a whole country... just like how 1 person doesn't represent a whole country (like many keep thinking)
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest