[Discussion] Keibuho Yabe Kenzo (Namase Katsuhisa)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Sorvaseven

[Discussion] Keibuho Yabe Kenzo (Namase Katsuhisa)

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 4th, '10, 16:30

Keibuho Yabe Kenzo

Namase Katsuhisa

Info taken from Tokyograph
More Info on DramaWiki

Keibuho Yabe Kenzo with Namase Katsuhisa was broadcasted on TV Asahi between April 9th and May 14th 2010

A few months ago, it was announced that the television drama franchise "Trick" is getting its third theatrical film this spring.
Now, it has been revealed that it will also get its first spinoff drama series, focusing on the character played by Katsuhisa Namase (49).

"Keibuho Yabe Kenzo" will be the first starring role for Namase in a television series. In the "Trick" dramas and movies,
which revolved around the mystery-solving duo of amateur magician Naoko Yamada (Yukie Nakama) and university professor Jiro Ueda (Hiroshi Abe),
Namase played the odd wig-wearing detective Kenzo Yabe. His character attracted many fans, who have voiced plenty of requests for a spinoff.

In "Keibuho Yabe Kenzo," the detective will have to tackle difficult cases on his own, without the help of Yamada and Ueda.
His supporting cast includes Tetsuhiro Ikeda (39) and Shihori Kanjiya (24).

TV Asahi has scheduled the series for its Friday 11:15pm time slot,
with the first episode airing in April. The "Trick" movie opens in theaters on May 8.

Official Site (with some trailers)
TV Asahi

Get Softsubs from "HaroRangers" here:
English Softsubs

Hardsubs and raws are available here:
English Hardsubs + RAW's
Last edited by Sorvaseven on May 14th, '10, 18:39, edited 5 times in total.

Gir

Post by Gir » Apr 4th, '10, 16:44

This could be good, I've always liked Namase Katsuhisa in shows I've seen him in.
Now we'll see if he can pull off elevating this supporting character into a lead.
I'll definitely check it out if it shows up on D-Addicts.

And I'm hoping the new Trick stuff shows up subbed quickly, I would love to see more Trick.

a2a

Post by a2a » Apr 5th, '10, 14:07

When I learned about this I decided to watch it right away! I'm a die-hard Trick fan & the Yabe Kenzo character was very funny & interesting. Namase Katsuhisa is also a great actor! I hope it's good! ^^

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 5th, '10, 16:36

on the official site are some trailer and i laughed hard only about the few minutes.
i think this will be a great comedy/crime drama. or less crime, more comedy :P

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 6th, '10, 21:25

...to complete it

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 8th, '10, 12:38

Yabe is epic<333333
yayyyyyyyyy Kyo nobuo is also back as well as the other assistant<333333

Insomniac

Post by Insomniac » Apr 11th, '10, 02:58

I can't wait!!! Looooove Yabe! I hope he continues to be as idiotic and moronic as usual, wig and all. <3

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 11th, '10, 10:20

Insomniac wrote:I can't wait!!! Looooove Yabe! I hope he continues to be as idiotic and moronic as usual, wig and all. <3
Hehe, i hope so too. He already looks funny. His bloomy shirt is fantastic!! :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 11th, '10, 10:26

Any news on uploading? Or where to find it?
Looks silly, that is why so good^^

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 11th, '10, 11:19

No, sadly not :cry:
I uploaded a much better picture on the top which reflects him nicer :P

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Apr 11th, '10, 22:00

I uploaded both (640x360) & (1280x720) vers on my blog ^_^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 11th, '10, 22:11

That's strange, I couldn't find anything.
But could you please upload it here, I guess you used MU or MF links, not available for everyone ( I got no problems, but MU is banned in some countries). Or at least allow somebody to re-upload it here.
:salut:

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Apr 11th, '10, 23:13

Oh wow didn't know about this spin-off and the third movie for Trick. Hoping that the third movie has a more solid ending between abe and Yukie. The 2nd movie sorta felt like it took place before the special because it didn't feel like they were together or mention about the engagement. The special had a more solid ending which I liked.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 12th, '10, 03:27

Yabe is HILLARIOUS!!! :lol

Comments for Ep1:
I noticed the director is not the main director of TRICK, Tsutsumi Yukihiko. Yabe spin-off directors are Kimura Hisashi (who did direct a few eps of the TRICK series too) and another one who has never been involved in TRICK. So the directing style quality kinda degraded from the usual TRICK, but it still felt similar with TRICK. Esp. since they still use TRICK background musics.

The scriptwriter is also not the main writer of TRICK series but he managed to write hillarious-worth-to-laugh-out-loud-at lines here and there. But the big storyline wasn't as enticing as TRICK, I think this is because Yabe's criminal case are just normal ones and not those related with magical and/or psychic tricks. I'm actually not into police detective dramas, I'm getting tired of them... so normal criminal cases like this doesn't interest me. But thanks to the characters and hillarious lines and scenes, I enjoyed the first ep very much!^^

The BEST element of this series is, indeed, the YABE character... so I guess that's why it still works, although there were some degradation in some departements. Yabe with his wig and the way he boasts his own greatness and all, and some stupid moments really made me laugh out loud. Yabe is still SAIKOU!!!^o^ But yappari, I feel something's missing without Yamada-Ueda... hehe.... Yamada-Ueda-Yabe is like a package for me... oh well, maybe I just need to get used with the new Yabe team^^

Kanjiya Shihori is excellent, and as if she replaced Yamada's character, she's the one who solved the case mystery and she also calls Yabe, "YABE!" just like how Yamada used to call him :D I love how everytime she said her own name, "I'm Katsura(wig)! Katsura! Katsura!". Yabe got all paranoid, lol.
I think she's a good character addition.

I love Ikeda Tetsuhiro from Himitsu no Hanazono, but his character in this series as Akiba, Yabe's assistant is too small... he basically trails Yabe everywhere and work like a maid for him. He's not like a cop at all. I hope he gets more focus later... such a waste of his comedic acting skill.

Kyo Nobuo as Kikuchi, Yabe's ex-assistant (he was in TRICK 3), is now an elite policeman and his position is even higher than Yabe now^^ Yabe hates him so much, lol. And Kikuchi always acts big in front of him. Yabe and Kikuchi shared the most hillarious scene in the first ep, imho^^

Yamada's landlady and the Indian guy, Jami (Johnny?) appeared too, and I was so happy to see them!^^

I hope they keep it up the quality like this or make it even better. I'm afraid they can't always rely on Namase Katsuhisa to make it work^^;
The first episode was 11.7%. Not looking good...

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Apr 12th, '10, 04:32

yanie wrote: The first episode was 11.7%. Not looking good...
Actually that's not bad considering it's late night timeslot. Don't know what where the ratings where for Salary Man which air in the same timeslot last season but before then here are the ratings for the first ep that air in same channel/timeslot:

Salary Man S2: 9.38%
My Girl 09.6
Maid Deka 09.5
Meitantei no Okite10.8
Uta no Onii-san 10.6

Shows replaced Yabe Kenzo after it had finished.

Atami no Sousakan 7.86%
Hagane no Onna 10.31%

So it had a better premiere TV ratings than those previous series. Anyways here's hoping this series gets sub plus the Trick special which is coming out next month. :whistling:

Edit found ratings for Salary Man S2. Also shows that replaced Yabe Kenzo.
Last edited by ZoddGuts on Oct 27th, '10, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 12th, '10, 05:52

ZoddGuts wrote:here are the ratings for the first ep that air in same channel/timeslot:

My Girl 09.6
Maid Deka 09.5
Meitantei no Okite10.8
Uta no Onii-san 10.6

So it had a better premiere TV ratings than those previous series. Anyways here's hoping this series gets sub plus the Trick special which is coming out next month. :whistling:
Ah! Yokatta... that's good to know. I was hoping for at least 13%... so I thought they'll keep up at around 9% the lowest, later... but 11%, I guess it might fall to 6-7% for later eps. But if it is better than the other dramas in the same timeslot, I guess that's good news.

GO YABE GO!! :cheers:

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 12th, '10, 06:52

yanie wrote:
The first episode was 11.7%. Not looking good...
That's pretty nice!! For this timeslot it's a very good rating! :party:

Nomanymore wrote:I uploaded both (640x360) & (1280x720) vers on my blog ^_^
Hm, can't find anything, too. Like Ethlenn wrote - it would be really nice to see it on d-addicts :-)

So, i agree: GO YABE GO!! :lol
Last edited by Sorvaseven on Apr 12th, '10, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Apr 12th, '10, 10:33

Sorvaseven wrote:

Hm, can't find anything too, like Ethlenn. Guess you have to approve me, right? My user name is "jdtop" :P . Like Ethlenn wrote - it would be really nice to see it on d-addicts :-)

So, i agree: GO YABE GO!! :lol
It's there: http://nomanymore.blogspot.com/

click on *Links, Synopsis, Cast * to see the links.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 12th, '10, 10:36

It's already on DA^^
But anyway, thanks :salut:
And I could swear that yesterday the website didn't look like this, or the links were wrong, I don't know. :mrgreen:

Hmm, but you do have smaller size, that's good. ^^

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 12th, '10, 11:42

im so glad they still keep Kyo Nobuo and Ikeda Tetsuhiro from the original casts^.^
especially Kyo Nobuo and Namase chemistry is always awesome and hilarious<33

Kanjiya Shihori is great<33

im hoping somewhere in the middle or at the end of the drama Yamada and Ueda going to make special appearance xDD
like Yanie said the trio is pretty much a package to me, it just weird without either one of them lol xDD
though seriously i could never count anymore how many time Namase have work with Nakama Yukie lol since beside drama and movie lol since they also work in stageplay together, NakamaxNamase or NakamaxAbe or the tiro always the golden crack pairing for me<33

but i would still love this drama even for Yabe alone because he is EPIC<33

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Apr 12th, '10, 12:00

Maybe you guys checked the wrong sites ^^; probably one of horikita maki's. I usually upload dramas on nomanymore.blogspot.com :)
Last edited by Nomanymore on Apr 12th, '10, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 12th, '10, 12:03

Well, yes, I clicked on the first link in your sigi, cause you wrote :"it's on my blog" or something, so I assumed this is it.
:lol :lol
Now I know :roll

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 12th, '10, 15:23

Nomanymore wrote:Maybe you guys checked the wrong sites ^^; probably one of horikita maki's. I usually upload dramas on nomanymore.blogspot.com :)
Ahhh, i see it :-) Thanks! Are you willing to record the next episodes as well??? That would be so great!!! Till now i have not read that someone will do it :-(
Unfortunately i can't receive tv asahi in an acceptable quality.

By the way "HaroRangers" announced to sub Keibuhu Yabe Kenzo :thumright:

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Apr 12th, '10, 21:33

That's good news I was about to watch the raw epb guess I'll wait for the sub to come out than.

therodent

Post by therodent » Apr 14th, '10, 05:20

Just to let you guys know, I'm with HaroRangers and am currently working on the English subs for this. I don't have any promises as to when they'll be released, but I can definitely say that they're being worked on.

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 14th, '10, 05:54

im so glad someone is subbing this drama<33

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 14th, '10, 06:07

therodent wrote: I don't have any promises as to when they'll be released
Never mind! I think we all now that subbing is volunteer and patience is a necessity.
But a big thanks in advance :-) Ganbatte Ikimasshoi :lol

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 15th, '10, 20:33

Some kind of pay-per-view via douga/asahi and some trailers of the new trick movie...

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/douga/yabe/
Last edited by Sorvaseven on Apr 16th, '10, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 15th, '10, 22:02

And one more video from Korean site:
http://tv.co.kr/drama/review/dramaRevie ... _idx=14691

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 16th, '10, 11:23

Episode 2 is now running! I really hope someone will record it !!

Some screenshots from the first minutes. Sorry for the bad quality!

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Apr 16th, '10, 17:13

I think the slapstick and puns alone are good enough reasons to watch this one. And there's something about Kansai ben that makes even the slightest thing coming out from Yabe funny.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 16th, '10, 17:18

@Sorvaseven: are you watching via Keyhole? Does it work for you? I think about buying TV cause I'm fed up with the quality, I can't even hear the accent!

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 16th, '10, 17:29

Yes, i watched it via Keyhole, but the audio (video of course too) quality is very bad. It's a pity freshverse.com doesn't work anymore (Fuji does, but the rest not). Buying a TV would be a possibility as long as you have a signal ;-) I can't receive any, not even via satellite :-(

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 16th, '10, 17:41

I just gave up, audio was 45 seconds ahead of video, bad quality and so on. How could I watch it under these circumstances?? My frustration wants to buy TV, my reason says it's useless. Eh.

So, how was the second episode? I'm finishing downloading the first one so...

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 17th, '10, 08:57

I coudn't bear up the bad quality longer than five minutes :P . But laughed a lot in these minutes so i guess the rest is funny too. I didn't watched the first episode so far too, 'cause i hope to get all episodes in a good quality to watch it within 3 days or something like that. It's brutal to wait a week for the next one, so i prefer to watch all episodes at one go :lol Hopefully someone will record this....

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 17th, '10, 09:13

I usually wait for another episode, cause waiting for the entire series would probably kill me. I'm gonna watch the first one today, hehe^^

Keyhole drives me nuts, but there is no alternative, eh...

Update: I hope I will continue with smaller size of the drama, around 400 Mb^^

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 18th, '10, 10:57

Thanks for the smaller size, although i will watch it on HD :P
Great to see ep.2 now on d-addicts ! Looking forward to ep.3 :thumright:
I think this drama could be the funniest of 2010 !

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 18th, '10, 14:14

I loved Ep2!!^o^ Totally better than the first ep! The 1st ep relied too much on Katsura(Kanjiya Shihori) and her partner to solve the case.

But Ep2 relied more on Yabe's unbelievable luck to solve the case, and that is EXACTLY what Keibuho Yabe Kenzo is suppose to be about!! :thumleft:

In Ep1, there was too much focus on Katsura and her partner trying to solve the case, and Yabe himself didn't get enough screentime as the lead, imo. But I'm happy that Yabe got 90% screentime in Ep2!!
The whole Russian language female teacher and the Russian class was hillarious too! :lol

And kyaaa.... Ueda Jiro's picture on the book!! haha.... I laughed out loud on that scene! Uedaaa!!^o^
Expecting more of unbelievable luck Yabe has for the next episode! :lol

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 19th, '10, 04:45

Ep2 rating -> 10.2%

Pretty stable, hope it'll keep up^^

I just checked wiki, and apparently there will only be 6 eps for Yabe Kenzo!! This drama wil end on May 14th!! :cry: Iyada~~~

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 19th, '10, 08:13

10.2% is pretty nice, but why only 6 eps?? Perhaps they will shot a second drama with him :-) The ratings are good enough...

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 29th, '10, 02:09

Ep3 was another fun epi! Even better than Ep2! And the rating was 10.6%, yay!
I hope they keep this up. I'm getting used to Yabe-Akiba-Katsura-Sakuragi combination :-)

Fans blogs reports that Nakama Yukie just did a filming for Keibuho Yabe Kenzo yesterday in a traditional inn!! Yatta, Yamada is really appearing! Probably for the finale episode(May 14), just right before the TRICK 2nd sp(May 15)^^ Dunno abt Ueda though, there was no mention abt Abe... (he has Shinzanmono schedules anyway)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 30th, '10, 03:14

It's official! Apparently Yamada Naoko will appear in Ep5!

Isn't that Ueda's car? lol. But Abe is not mentioned at all... or will he appear in finale ep?
I see from schedule that seem like only Nakama alone would go to most TV shows to promote TRICK. Abe only appear in 1-2 of them, he must be busy with Shinzanmono.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » May 2nd, '10, 09:10

Eh...Ueda's car??? I bet Abe will appear as well :goggle: At least i hope it !!!

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » May 5th, '10, 14:38

Just saw ep 1 gotta say I really liked it though some parts went a little too fast. I'm liking the characters as well. Shame that it's only 6 eps, here's hoping with the high ratings it's getting I'll get a 2nd season or at least a TV special.

The first ep had several cameo/cameo's?.

There was
the Manager lady of Yamda's apartment though her husband wasn't the same actor from the Trick series. Should be obvious since well the guy the Trick series was better looking lol also I think he appeared in the Cat's Eye Drama/comedy series. Anyways there was a backshot of Yamada though not sure if that was really Yamada or some other actress playing as her lol.
edit: I think I also notice Yabe's
first partner of the Trick series show up... not sure if it really was him or some actor playing as him but he was the blonde guy that was crossing the street.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » May 8th, '10, 17:34

Sorry for the double post here's an update on the TV Ratings so far:

(01)11.7
(02)10.2
(03)10.6
(04)10.7

The TV ratings have gone up again, guess people who didn't like ep 1 came back after hearing how good ep 2 was. I'll be interesting to see if the ratings go back above 11.0 again.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 10th, '10, 02:46

Ep4 was funny, I enjoyed it so much! The case for Ep5 was very "TRICK"!!! Loved it! maybe that's why Yamada made appearance in this ep. Next week Yamada's mother make an appearance^^ Finale ep is still a continuation of ep5. Ahhh, I do not want this drama to end!^o^

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » May 10th, '10, 13:34

TV Ratings: 11.7 10.2 10.6 10.7 10.5 - - - - - - - 10.74% Avg

One ep left.

Edohiguma

Post by Edohiguma » May 11th, '10, 08:33

Abe's character popped up when they had to deal with the Russians. He was on the cover of the book.

Kanjiya Shihori needs to become a regular in the TRICK franchise. "YABE!!!!"

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » May 14th, '10, 13:09

Today the last ( :cry: ) episode of Keibuhu Yabe Kenzo will be broadcasted !

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » May 17th, '10, 04:42

Having finished watch ep6 last night, I have to say this was pretty good, and worthy of being called "TRICK 4."

I could have done without all the guest appearances though. Nakama Yukie's appearances were pointless (as were her neighbors') and just stole screen time away from Yabe. The most guilty offenders were of course Shihori and her finger-smelling partner. It seemed like the creators were trying to work actual trick-solving logic into the show and still make it some kind of suspenseful crime drama. I don't know everyone else, but that wasn't what I watching it for -- I was just watching it to see Namase Katsuhisa yell some crazy lines and basically wreak havoc. Episode 2 was by far the best, that's how all the episodes should have been -- focused on Yabe and his insane way of dealing with cases. I think Episode 3 was the worst.

I would love to see this continued, but this time with the addition of Yabe's previous Hiroshima-ben-speaking partner! He came back for like 1 minute during the closing credits of part 2 of Episode 5, it was such a tease. That guy is so hilarious, it's a shame he retired from acting.

Anyway, Namase Katsuhisa did a great job as usual, and if you can ignore all the cheesy stuff happening around him, I think it's a great series.

Gir

Post by Gir » Jun 24th, '10, 00:57

Molokidan wrote: I could have done without all the guest appearances though.
I liked the guest cameo from Trick 2 in the first part of Ep.3.

kuroihikari

Post by kuroihikari » Jun 26th, '10, 07:07

Question. The ringleader from Episode 3...
Was that Ashina Sei?

Or am I confusing her for a look-alike?

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jul 18th, '10, 08:33

TV Ratings:

Episode 01: 11.7%
Episode 02: 10.2%
Episode 03: 10.6%
Episode 04: 10.7%
Episode 05: 10.5%
Episode 06: 10.5% (final)

Average Ratings: 10.7%

DVD release:

Available 22 October 2010

erlog

Post by erlog » Jul 25th, '10, 19:25

I thought I'd bump this to announce that English soft-subs for Ep 4 are being released in all the usual places. Eps 5 and 6 should be coming shortly. They're in the process of being timed.

As the translation checker I've had the pleasure of seeing most episodes of this series 2-3 times each. I hope they do a second series because Yabe is such a lovable bumbling character. It's all so silly, but almost always funny.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with the long wait between Ep 3 and Ep 4. I had some real life business I had to take care of before I could get back to fansubbing.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Oct 27th, '10, 06:08

Oh man love the final two episodes for this series, it was very Trick like. Ep 5 had me dying of laughter especially that Neo bullet time scene.

BTW At the end of ep 6 did they announce that there doing a sequel? Or was that meant for the novel that it was getting a sequel? They did leave that Cult plot hanging open for a sequel or was that tie up for the Trick Special/Movie?

The Ratings for this show also beats the two shows that it replaced after Yabe Kenzo series ended:

Total average for the entire series:
Atami no Sousakan 7.86%
Hagane no Onna 10.31%

And it doesn't look like Himitsu the current show at the same channel/timeslot will beat it either, first two ep was: 10.1 and 2nd ep was 8.8

Michie_

Post by Michie_ » Aug 29th, '11, 22:42

Gir wrote:
After watching the first part of this episode a couple of times i still don't who the cameo was

Gir

Post by Gir » Aug 29th, '11, 23:18

Michie_ wrote:
Gir wrote:
After watching the first part of this episode a couple of times i still don't who the cameo was
At 3:30, it's the clay pot from the last 2 episodes of the second season.

Michie_

Post by Michie_ » Aug 30th, '11, 00:31

Thanks! I noticed the pot but i thought you meant a person :lol

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jun 2nd, '13, 09:20

Yabe Kenzo is back!!! Season 2 !!!

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/yabe/

From 11.15 p.m. Fridays, July 2013 on TV Asahi - with Namase Katsuhisa.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jun 2nd, '13, 19:31

Surprise it took this long.

zorkaz

Post by zorkaz » Jun 2nd, '13, 22:36

Yabe Kenzo 2???
Hopefully they don't make the mistakes they made in the first season.
I wonder why they do that, since the first season wasn't really popular...

But anway, I yearn for the second season!!!

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 3rd, '13, 00:57

Wow it took a while but Yay!!

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 3rd, '13, 03:26

Sounds like fun :thumleft: .

YukawaManabu

Post by YukawaManabu » Aug 11th, '13, 14:39

As much as I loved Trick, this one just didn't do it for me. I haven't finished watching it.

kotsukotsu

Post by kotsukotsu » Aug 28th, '13, 03:19

You can spend much of these series looking for references to the Trick series. For example, one episode features a scene where magician Yamada is being laughed at by by-standers on a shopping street. In Trick you see this scene shot from Yamada's perspective, and in Yabe Kenzo you see the same scene shot from about 10 meters distance looking at Yamada's back. There is numerous similar overlapping of scenes or sharing of odd characters between Trick and Yabe Kenzo 1 & 2. For example, Yamada's long suffering land lady and the noisy Pakistani neighbor appear briefly in episode 1 of Yabe Kenzo 2.

By the way, Yamada's run down apartment building in Trick also appears in other TV dramas if you look carefully. It is actually the backside of a movie company building, rigged with a stairway to nowhere in the back. The building gets a new paint job from time to time, but is easy to recycle since the building is owned by the video production company. The indoor apartment scenes of Trick were shot at a different location a few kilometers away. I found this all out by visiting the location a few years ago just to get myself photographed at the base of that "apartment building" so familiar from the Trick series. The video staff in the building at the time were quite happy to explain details about the shooting of Trick at that location a few years earlier. Similar information is posted on the usual Rokechi WWW sites, if anyone has an interest in seeing locations familiar from dramas.

bluetortoise

Post by bluetortoise » Aug 28th, '13, 05:15

YukawaManabu wrote:As much as I loved Trick, this one just didn't do it for me. I haven't finished watching it.
This sums it up perfectly for me as well. I didn't like the characters in season one very much, but I'd love to have them back over a little girl who solves cases by smelling her hair. It's kind of insulting to Yabe, isn't it? I don't understand the direction they took in this show whatsoever.

forweg

Post by forweg » Aug 28th, '13, 06:23

bluetortoise wrote:
YukawaManabu wrote:As much as I loved Trick, this one just didn't do it for me. I haven't finished watching it.
This sums it up perfectly for me as well. I didn't like the characters in season one very much, but I'd love to have them back over a little girl who solves cases by smelling her hair. It's kind of insulting to Yabe, isn't it? I don't understand the direction they took in this show whatsoever.
That sounds ridiculously stupid and hilarious. I've never watched this show or Trick, but you've just inspired me to check this out. I freaking love random, bizarre humor like that!

kotsukotsu

Post by kotsukotsu » Sep 2nd, '13, 19:40

The little girl playing with her hair is an example of the logical extreme humor of this series. That is to say, competence is inversely proportional to social status. The higher you go up in the social ladder, the less competence you see. Logically, the person who really solves every case must be a kid in elementary school. And conversely the bumbling gets worse as you climb up the management structure of the police department. Yabe Kenzo isn't the most incompetent person in the police department, since after all, he is quite aware how to take credit for the work of his underlings or young consultant.

fuhu123

Post by fuhu123 » Sep 19th, '14, 13:07

What about english subs ?

Kenzo kun is so dull that can't be gypnotized , he must became The Prime minister of Nihon or may be already became ? :w00t: :-( 8)

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Oct 12th, '14, 03:24

I have only watched the 1st season.
I love the references to Trick, like people laughing at Yamada in street (but it doesnt look like Nakama Yukie since she only officially appears in the last case) or the Ueda's car which is always broken. Even Yamada satomi and the assistant from the 1st two season of Trick!
Even the detective wannabe says "hajime no ippon" as yamada did when step in to the village,
There's even reference to Haha no izumi, etc.
Sadly, its really too little content beside it.
Still, if the case is better, i wouldnt mind watch the 2nd season. But seems it isnt like that

diediebydie

Post by diediebydie » Oct 29th, '14, 14:50

im hoping somewhere in the middle or at the end of the drama Yamada and Ueda going to make special appearance xDD
like Yanie said the trio is pretty much a package to me, it just weird without either one of them lol xDD
though seriously i could never count anymore how many time Namase have work with Nakama Yukie lol since beside drama and movie lol since they also work in stageplay together, NakamaxNamase or NakamaxAbe or the tiro always the golden crack pairing for me