[Discussion] Tumbling

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 11:07

vspirit wrote:@MaiKitty - uh...it's good that you don't, then =) it's not important at all so let's skip it. >.<
and as for Hino, if he's suddenly all nice and sunshine-y to his teammates, then it won't be Hino we're seeing anymore, it'd be Nishijima himself. Hino, while not a bad person per se, has a sarcastic personality by nature judging from the way he interacts with people in general. you don't cultivate a sharp tongue and a sarcastic streak just because your dad doesn't see you for who you are, i don't think. i believe that his dad could've showered him with loads of attention and his personality will still be just as prickly, even if he might have been less of a jerk overall.

and even if part of it is due to his dad's treatment of him, then it should be part of his personality already and if he's supposed to warm up to others at all, it's not something that's going to happen overnight. they're really rushing the pace of the show though, so they might push for a change in personality a little too fast that might result in Hino's character going OOC instead of developing. we're already going to see him bathing with the rest by the next episode or the one after. i'm very curious as to the circumstances of how he ended up in bathtub with the rest and the way he's going to act in there...

Hino is a sarcastic lil' prick (xD really, he is), and the novel holds true to that. i hope the drama will do the same.
You're funny. :)
They have no choice but to rush it. Probably only 3 episodes left. So if they want Hino as a functional team member they really have to act fast. Because there is so much to tell - it's getting harder. You see it by the way they killed of Wataru's dad. He suddenly appears and woah, half a episode later he's dead. Wataru doesn't even have time to adjust. One of the reasons I suppose they never addressed Mizusawa/Kiyama after the respective episode. They just don't have the time, because if they would hint at something the viewer would want more closure.

I like Hinos character and I hope he won't change too much. I don't think so, I like him as the arrogant kid. hehe...

Oh man the bathing scenes are getting better and better. Is it just me or are they showing more and more and...I mean just look at the bath scene in 7. They really want to please the female audience. Not that I'm complaining. :lol So, yep I'm all for Hino in the bath.

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 11:51

@MaiKitty - there's a snapshot of him in the bath with some of the others that's been circulating round the net. it's taken by the producer and you can see...skin. =]~ lots of it. you don't even have to look too hard into the water to see the dude's lily whi----bare thighs. have you seen it yet?

...(you see why i wanted to skip? this is me not at my worst...the part i skipped is even more x-rated than this xD)
Last edited by vspirit on May 31st, '10, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 11:56

Woah, really? No, no I haven't seen it! Um, do I look perverted if I'm going to search for it?

Oh, I'm all for the dirty stuff, you know. *evilgrin*

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 12:15

^oh really? then i sense you and i can be really good friends. >=)

it's on the site actually, on the producer's blog. see the entry dated 5/30, click to read more and you'll see a feast for your eyes. =DDD

don't ask me what the pink glow around seto's head is though...

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 12:24

Haha, my true colours are revealed. Gotta have a look...hehe.

But we are not the ones to blame. I mean, even when they are not naked, but in the unitard: It's like your eyes automatically go to a certain place. In 7 for example, you just can't help it. I just hope for the boys that they don't see something they like during filming it's sooo hard to hide.....

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 31st, '10, 12:31

@ vspirit or MaiKitty: I CAN`T FIND IT!!! Argh... Could you leave a link?!
Ah, of course I mean the topic of your conversation... Sorry to butt in

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 31st, '10, 12:32

@ vspirit or MaiKitty: I CAN`T FIND IT!!! Argh... Could you leave a link?!
Ah, of course I mean the topic of your conversation... Sorry to butt in

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 12:34

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 31st, '10, 12:59

@MaiKitty:
THÄNK YUUU... :salut:
Waahh...what a little nice picture! :wub:

I always wonder why bathing and restroom scenes are so popular...
I mean a Shinzanmono episode for example doesn´t end without showing a short restroom scene...that´s so crazy!
Anyway, I like it!
:roll

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 13:06

Bathing is Bonding in Japan! Good for us. :)
Though bathing with Kiyama must be torture for Mizusawa. And he is a teenager!
Last edited by MaiKitty on May 31st, '10, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 13:08

@MaiKitty - hmm...? my eyes actually tend to gravitate towards their as--AHEM--butts actually. I've never actually looked at that spot you mentioned for some reason...not like staring at their a--GARH!--butts is any better, i know.

.........and Nishijima looks like a single stalk of flower from the back in it...xxD first a blue and black one and then a pink one. >.< all he needs is a petal headdress and wallah! you won't be able to tell the diff...

@Zwitsch - Feel free to butt (heh heh, butt) in, if you don't mind the sukebe flavor of our conversation. would love it if you can contribute, even. ^.^

but if it gets nasty for some maybe we should put it under spoiler tags then xxxD

EDIT: LoL @ the Bathing is Bonding in Japan quip.

i'd laugh harder if it weren't true tho...
Last edited by vspirit on May 31st, '10, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 13:14

^Really? But when they are filmed from the front like in 7 when they have that tracking shot at that certain height? Come one I'm not the only one. There was this video of a TV show that interviewed the guys before Tumbling started airing and the reporter girl was also pretty flustered when she saw the unitard.

Geez, now I can't stop thinking about how many embarrassing things could happen in that outfit.....

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 13:17

^huh...maybe i was looking somewhere else...cos i really have no idea what you're talking about...................but then again, ever since they changed to pink, i had to squint and/or look away a lot cos it's really glaring to my eyes...Kiyama should really consider himself lucky to not have to put it on at all.

but Nishijima's already gone the whole nine yards in that respect in LE (eventho it's fake, it's the concept that counts) so i'm not really affected when it comes to him and his little buddy anymore...

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 13:25

^Now you make me feel embarassed because I'm the only one that looked that way. :goggle:

Will we ever see a routine with all of them (minus Satoshi)? I mean does the routine even work with that many boys?

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 13:35

^it's nothing to feel embarrassed over. in fact, if i haven't been looking, it means i've seen enough and have already graduated to a new level of sukebeism so if anyone should be embarrassed here, it should be me.

and i dunno bout the max no. of peeps. 6's the most i've ever seen but i think 6 is the max according to the rules cos otherwise, it'd be very difficult to synchronize and the mat would get kinda crowded, i think. the balance would go off too.
speaking of which, i really wanna see Hino do a new individual routine cos he's been doing the same one so far. and i feel kinda gypped that they didn't show the last bit in the group routine, which was supposed to be the pinnacle of the performance. instead they juxtaposed everyone's astonished faces and had that tsurumi dude sound out what that last move was so we all could only imagine. =/
Last edited by vspirit on May 31st, '10, 18:18, edited 2 times in total.

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 31st, '10, 14:03

Wahh...I love your little nasty conversation! :wub:
Ah, and I love the word: SUKEBE!!!! :mrgreen:

Hahaha, and that butt-thing was great! :P

Now I´m flashed...really flashed! I can´t get those guys out of my head... Maybe someone should do a bl ff dorama...< what a combination!
Okay, I´m just thinking out loud!

vspirit wrote:
and i dunno bout the max no. of peeps. 6's the most i've ever seen but i think 6 is the max according to the rules cos otherwise, it'd be very difficult to synchronize and the mat would get kinda crowded, i think. the balance would go off too.

I think so as well. It would be really crowded and therefor unsafe.
I also tried to find some information about the rules of Men's group rhythmic gymnastics but there hardly isn´t any - or I´m just too stupid to find it...

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 14:14

^haha. oh yeah this drama is /such/ a fodder for that innit? /and/ there's canon too. sorta. xD

i think most of the info's only available in japanese since the sport is originated in japan and hasn't quite spread to the rest of the world yet...

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 15:00

Couldn't help myself.....it's no spoiler really, but I thought it would be better if I hid this!
And you can deny it all you want, I know the truth.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 31st, '10, 15:30

MaiKitty wrote:Couldn't help myself.....it's no spoiler really, but I thought it would be better if I hid this!
Permission to steal, please!

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 15:30

Of course. :)

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 16:00

^lolol! wow.../somebody's/ on a roll...

and was that what you were talking about? i tot you meant when they were strutting towards the mat in slow mo...

i don't believe i've mentioned this before but Yamamoto's acting is pretty strong, especially in this ep.
I like that scene that Wataru had with his father, and that one line that he said that prolly allowed the older man to die happy. but my fave scene, next to the scene where Hino bowed low at his father's retreating back, is where Wataru's dad was silently smoothening out the crumpled flier =) struck something within me, it has. that and the old dude is one fine-looking gentleman =]~~

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 16:09

vspirit wrote:^lolol! wow.../somebody's/ on a roll...

and was that what you were talking about? i tot you meant when they were strutting towards the mat in slow mo...
Well, I blame it on the rainy weather and my tendencies to actually do unnecessary stuff on the internet when I should be spending my time doing something useful.

That, too. In motion everything looks even better. :) Basically everything that happens from the moment where they enter the hall until they start with the routine.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 31st, '10, 16:17

vspirit wrote:^Wataru's dad ...is one fine-looking gentleman =]
He looks so familiar, too. Any idea who the actor is?

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 16:25

^Hmmm...Masaya Kato....just did a google look up on him and....

:goggle: :goggle: :goggle:
:w000t: :w000t: :w000t:

$#%@^ he's HAWT!!!!asdjksahdgdfg

(and he's not really that old at all--they just made him look a lot more so in the drama...man if someone can look good in that state, then they're born looking good...)

...and he's in the Shinjuku Incident.....................maybe i should go watch it now.

EDIT: dammit why'd his chara have to die so early? i feel cheated now :cussing:
Last edited by vspirit on May 31st, '10, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 31st, '10, 16:30

OMG!!!!
Just a few minutes away and than that!
Thanks for the nice picture, MaiKitty!
You guys are really on a roll...
:salut:

EDIT: Masaya Kato geht ja mal gar nicht! = Masaya Kato? That will never do!
Last edited by Zwitsch on May 31st, '10, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 31st, '10, 16:31

vspirit wrote:^Hmmm...Masaya Kato....just did a google look up on him and....

:goggle: :goggle: :goggle:
:w000t: :w000t: :w000t:

$#%@^ he's HAWT!!!!asdjksahdgdfg
Damb! Oh, yes!

I don't suppose there are photobooks for 40-something actors?

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 16:32

...if it doesn't cost an arm an a leg, i'd buy it in a heartbeat even.

whoa......

neisseria

Post by neisseria » May 31st, '10, 17:14

ohmanohgodI'msonervous Hello! Long time lurker here! I've been stalking this thread for weeks, I'm happy to be able to read the impressions of other western Tumbling fans :D

...And I can't believe that we've even got our own macros now!! Those were A++ hahahah :salut:

Ah well, I'm feeling a bit tongue-tied at the moment but I hope I can contribute to the conversation in the near future. See you around!

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 17:18

Welcome neisseria. Don't know what happened today but suddenly the thread exploded. :) Any dirty thoughts to share?

j/k
I'm sure you find something to say sooner or later. Even if it's only PINK SAIKOU!!!

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 31st, '10, 17:23

@neisseria:
Hello! Most of the time I´m a stalker here as well cause I´m really bad in putting my thoughts of each episode or the things I want to share, ask in words...
BUT I´m happy cause there are a few here who write exactly what I would write so it´s perfect...

AND yeah, today it´s kind of...well, sukebe-like here... :P

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 31st, '10, 17:25

@Maikitty: PINK SAIKOU!!! < That was great! :lol

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 17:31

@neisseria - hey there. you did the complete opposite of what i did. i signed up just to spam this thread with my worthless musings. ^.^;;

oh, and PINK ha SAIKOU JANEEYO
'taku mou...

but it's hella funny. i hope they'll get another design or go back to their trusty white one for the kantou region meet........................

@MaiKitty: haha once you start, you can't stop, huh? well, welcome to the club~

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 31st, '10, 17:34

Actually I have been lurking at d-addicts discussions for years, but after episode 5 of Tumbling thoughts and the sudden urge to write about it just exploded and I needed to join to relieve some of the pressure.

And why is every post I write suddenly filled with suggestive statements? I blame vspirit.

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 31st, '10, 17:46

vspirit wrote: "oh, and PINK ha SAIKOU JANEEYO
'taku mou..." <<< That was even better! After reading it my mind was instantly filled with some yelling boys...yeah, and Nippori was dancing! Arai Moe (what a nice NAME! :roll ) is lovely! I love his attack of stupidity!

Don´t mind...I´m still flashed...

neisseria

Post by neisseria » May 31st, '10, 17:55

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!❤ Yeah, as you can see, I didn't even have an account until one hour ago. I wonder why it took me so long!

Sukebe or not, it's good that the thread is lively today. We may be few, but we can be loud too! \o/
Hmm, dirty thoughts, eh? Mine are mostly of the "fun in the bathhouse" kind dohohohoho (...leaving this kind of impression on the first day already yeah GO ME)

lmao PINK SAIKOU was one of the best lines of the series. But actually, I liked the old T-shirts and uniforms much much better. As you said before, pink may be expected when the target audience is girls/young women, but I'm not a fan of hot pink... and I don't remember seeing a lot of it in Waterboys, for example. At least it's not as bad as in Princess Princess D. Also, I liked that the old shirts and uniforms were made by themselves. While I'm happy that the boys' club has got more support (and money) now, the handmade equipment had a strange kind of charm.

...Whoa that was kind of long-winded for being uninspired. Looking forward to more inappropriate comments! :P

blackbalsam

Post by blackbalsam » May 31st, '10, 18:09

Okay, I'm completely surprised of today's explosion of Tumbling (well,.. more or less XD) discussion. My congratulations everyone! *clap*

@neisseria: First of all welcome! I'll be so shameless and say that everyone here will make you feel all warm and fluffy :D Btw, its completely off the Tumbling, but your username - do you study biology?

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 18:09

@MaiKitty: lol. sure. blame me all you want. just as long as you don't stop what you're now doing. >.< it's entertaining as heck.
i hope you laydees aren't averse to a little bit of bl cos one of the popular pairings in the japanese yaoi fandom for this is Chonmage (that's AKIRA) x Hino. And when the question came about as to how there's a unitard Hino's size, this was one of the suggested scenarios:-

Capt: Hey, Hino. We're gonna be making new uniforms so what's your size?
Hino: I don't need one. Thank you.
Capt: ...

Mizu: Maybe he doesn't need one since he's only competing in the individuals event.
Capt: Yeah, maybe that's it.

Later, when meeting up with Kashiwagi-sensei to pass him the order sheet...

Kashi: Let's make one for Hino-kun, too! I mean, he /is/ part of the club too, isn't he?
Capt: Yeah, well, we tried asking him to tell us his size but he blew us off...
Kashi: Huh? Why ask him when you could ask me? I know what his size is!
Capt & Mizu: ...huh? (Like...how on earth...?)

xxxD Don't you just love the Japanese and their imagination?

neisseria

Post by neisseria » May 31st, '10, 18:42

@blackbalsam Aw, thanks! You're right, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy already :D I studied medicine for some years and learnt a bit of microbiology, though I've forgotten it all. Diplococci are kinda cute, hmm... I apologize for having such a gross username ahaha |D

@vspirit
Me, averse to BL? Yeah, when hell freezes over! Hino and Chonmage do have cute interactions, I've noticed there's a few pics with the two of them on pixiv too. I didn't give that much thought to Hino and his unitard, I thought he either borrowed Nippori's or they had his size by either
a)guesswork, or
b)taking a look at his singles uniform.

...It seems there's an option c), then! Ah, what would I do without the fandom...!

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 31st, '10, 19:01

@neisseria - ....Nippori's 1.78m in height. Hino's 1.70. It's just not possible, man.

@P@permoon - omigosh, i only just saw your reply when i scanned previous pages to see if i've missed out anything. and sure enough...i'm sorry! and yeah, Yamamoto's mainly whipcord muscles and sinew. But he's lanky. =) Seto's thin but he has a bit of height so it's not quite as obvious. He doesn't seem as delicate a flower as you-know-who. That and the fact that he has manly armpits also helps...unlike you-know-who. xxxD er...whoops, it's prolly not good to make fun of other people's sore points and you-know-who's actually pretty sore about you-know-what. >.<

Hm...just noticed in the preview for next week...Hino's stopped wearing his JAPAN jersey to don the team's one. man...i'll miss the JAPAN jersey. t'was as cool as anything...

unguanime

Post by unguanime » Jun 1st, '10, 01:40

Wow, last time I checked on this thread it still has 10 pages but now....

I'm not really excited about the unitard and the bath scene in "that way". But I don't think about it as a disgusting thing either. I'm still a normal girl right, am I?

But I want Hino to join the bath scene because it would mean him to be more open to the group :D

Did Kiyama join the bath scene too? I can't remember. That must be a torture for Mizusawa.

Oh, and Nishi in LE. I have to resist the urge to share 4 hours of Nishi with my friends because of, you know. I don't want my friends to think bad about Nishi. I'm afraid they can't tolerate those things and see the true meaning in the movie.

There's so much I want to comment about but I have to go to school. It's exam week but I'm still watching Tumbling. Can't help it :D

unguanime

Post by unguanime » Jun 1st, '10, 01:41

Oh, one last thing. The photo in tumbling blog. I LOVE their expressions! XD So cute!!!

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 1st, '10, 01:57

vspirit wrote: @P@permoon - omigosh, i only just saw your reply when i scanned previous pages to see if i've missed out anything. and sure enough...i'm sorry! and yeah, Yamamoto's mainly whipcord muscles and sinew. But he's lanky. =) Seto's thin but he has a bit of height so it's not quite as obvious. He doesn't seem as delicate a flower as you-know-who. That and the fact that he has manly armpits also helps...unlike you-know-who. xxxD er...whoops, it's prolly not good to make fun of other people's sore points and you-know-who's actually pretty sore about you-know-what. >.<
Manly armpits. lol I don't know what whoever is sore about in regards to arm pits, though. Explain? Please?:unsure:

Seto's face has that cute little baby fat on it still, somehow. And then, he also has quite muscular legs and buttocks. I think that is why he doesn't look as dainty as Nissy even though they are approximately the same size. :unsure:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 1st, '10, 01:59

unguanime wrote: Did Kiyama join the bath scene too? I can't remember. That must be a torture for Mizusawa.
They stay at the far sides of the tub from each other.

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » Jun 1st, '10, 03:36

lullabye wrote: Manly armpits. lol I don't know what whoever is sore about in regards to arm pits, though. Explain? Please?:unsure:
Maybe somebody is jealous, becaue he can´t have manly armpits like the Kyushu Boy, because of the lack of ... hair! :P
But really, I certainly noticed that Nishijima and Nakadoi are the only two shaving their armpits. And I´m quite sure, their legs too. It seems to be a must-be as Dancer, especially in Japan. Not that I mind, I think it´s okay either way, as long as it doesn´t get to hairy. But well, we are talking about japanese boys here, afterall.
lullabye wrote:Seto's face has that cute little baby fat on it still, somehow. And then, he also has quite muscular legs and buttocks. I think that is why he doesn't look as dainty as Nissy even though they are approximately the same size. :unsure:
Mmmmh, yeah, I think they are about the same size, but Nishijima is short. It´s like you said. Through, is it baby-fat or just the heart-shape? A small face is always an indication for an delicate frame. Seto is also very rangy and tall. And yeah, his soccer-training certainly shows in his legs, his most musculair part afterall. For a talk about his buttocks, I should move this topic to Seto´s thread, because ... that could get long. *lol* Yet, I can count Nishijima and Seto´s ribs in their naked photoshoots, in contrast to the others. And those small hips, every Supermodel (and me) would kill for!

*lol* To the bathing scenes discussion, somebody noticed Miura´s floating butt in episode 7? :lol Yuta is certainly using to much soap and the cameraman is mean, because he avoided on purpose the mirrow on the wall!

Oh, and I think it´s difficult to decide between the new and old Uniforms. I like both. The Dragon is cool! And, well, considering that pink once was a manly color, since it was a diluted red (funny enough, baby blue, because softer, was then used for girls), I´m okay with it. It´s flashy. I just think that the white looks more pure, which suits the Captain and even Wataru´s red hair more. But the new Uniforms look quite professional. Hard decision is hard. They look cool and the performance was great! That´s all that matters to me, I think.

About the rumor ...
I remember reading about an accident happening to one of he lead characters too. Since Yuta is telling the story, he would be out, that would left Wataru and the way Yuta narrated the intro, wondered me to.

"He was the one who made this Dream come true for me ..."

It´s not something he would say without a reason, it seems. And then, there is the fact that the play is set 5 years after their High School Graduation, and Kiyama (Satoshi and Kaneko) are the ones there. It gives me a little bit of a mixed feeling of "Stand by me" and "Grease". In the stage version of the latter for example, takes the alumni reunion place without Sandy, because she died.

Well, I guess we will have to wait until the last episode, but it implies something. It doesn´t necessary mean that the ending will be sad, I mean, Stand by me had still a positive ending, for example. It would be quite unique, I think.

When it´s even going to happen. :-)
*coughs* That was not very helpful ... :whistling:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 1st, '10, 04:09

P@permoon wrote:
lullabye wrote: Manly armpits. lol I don't know what whoever is sore about in regards to arm pits, though. Explain? Please?:unsure:
Maybe somebody is jealous, becaue he can´t have manly armpits like the Kyushu Boy, because of the lack of ... hair! :P
Well, few can be as manly as the Kyushu Boy. UFC fighters weep with sorrow that they can't match up. Or match outfits.
But really, I certainly noticed that Nishijima and Nakadoi are the only two shaving their armpits. And I´m quite sure, their legs too. It seems to be a must-be as Dancer, especially in Japan. Not that I mind, I think it´s okay either way, as long as it doesn´t get to hairy. But well, we are talking about japanese boys here, afterall.
Ah, that makes sense.
lullabye wrote:Seto's face has that cute little baby fat on it still, somehow. And then, he also has quite muscular legs and buttocks. I think that is why he doesn't look as dainty as Nissy even though they are approximately the same size. :unsure:
Mmmmh, yeah, I think they are about the same size, but Nishijima is short.
Is Seto really that much taller? I thought they were about the same.
It´s like you said. Through, is it baby-fat or just the heart-shape? A small face is always an indication for an delicate frame.
Everything about Seto's face is heart shaped. Awwwwww!
Seto is also very rangy and tall. And yeah, his soccer-training certainly shows in his legs, his most musculair part afterall. For a talk about his buttocks, I should move this topic to Seto´s thread, because ... that could get long. *lol* Yet, I can count Nishijima and Seto´s ribs in their naked photoshoots, in contrast to the others. And those small hips, every Supermodel (and me) would kill for!
Yeah, I noticed that. They are both in desperate need of a sandwich. But (heh), please, feel free to continue to discuss his buttocks anywhere you wish. Or the rest of the cast's, for that matter. Those boys have been working hard since October. We should show our appreciation of the fine results.
*lol* To the bathing scenes discussion, somebody noticed Miura´s floating butt in episode 7? :lol Yuta is certainly using to much soap and the cameraman is mean, because he avoided on purpose the mirrow on the wall!
So, you noticed that, too? Who decided Seto should wear a soap suds shirt? And hat, for that matter. OK, it was cute. It didn't do a thing to reduce his baby-face image. I did miss Miura's buttocks, though. I will have to go back and verify your statement. For the sake of accuracy, of course.
Oh, and I think it´s difficult to decide between the new and old Uniforms. I like both. The Dragon is cool! And, well, considering that pink once was a manly color, since it was a diluted red (funny enough, baby blue, because softer, was then used for girls), I´m okay with it. It´s flashy. I just think that the white looks more pure, which suits the Captain and even Wataru´s red hair more. But the new Uniforms look quite professional. Hard decision is hard. They look cool and the performance was great! That´s all that matters to me, I think.
I do like the old homemade outfits. It was a great way to show their determination. The new outfits, both the uniforms and the work out clothes, are their prizes for hard work, so it's OK. They look great either way.
About the rumor ...
I remember reading about an accident happening to one of he lead characters too. Since Yuta is telling the story, he would be out, that would left Wataru and the way Yuta narrated the intro, wondered me to.

"He was the one who made this Dream come true for me ..."

It´s not something he would say without a reason, it seems. And then, there is the fact that the play is set 5 years after their High School Graduation, and Kiyama (Satoshi and Kaneko) are the ones there. It gives me a little bit of a mixed feeling of "Stand by me" and "Grease". In the stage version of the latter for example, takes the alumni reunion place without Sandy, because she died.

Well, I guess we will have to wait until the last episode, but it implies something. It doesn´t necessary mean that the ending will be sad, I mean, Stand by me had still a positive ending, for example. It would be quite unique, I think.

When it´s even going to happen. :-)
*coughs* That was not very helpful ... :whistling:
Yeah, I'm very curious to see how it goes. The writers have been able to produce tears with every episode, so the finale--it would seem odd not to also be teary.

vspirit

Post by vspirit » Jun 1st, '10, 05:15

P@permoon wrote: Manly armpits. lol I don't know what whoever is sore about in regards to arm pits, though. Explain? Please?:unsure:
That'd be Nishijima, of course. He's actually pretty sore bout the fact that he doesn't have manly armpits like the rest of the AAA guys. I imagine he's the butt of their armpit jokes pretty often when they happen to go bathing or onsen together (which they do every now and then apparently, especially in between shows)...
lullabye wrote: But really, I certainly noticed that Nishijima and Nakadoi are the only two shaving their armpits. And I´m quite sure, their legs too. It seems to be a must-be as Dancer, especially in Japan. Not that I mind, I think it´s okay either way, as long as it doesn´t get to hairy. But well, we are talking about japanese boys here, afterall.
I don't think it's a requirement for dancers to shave cos I've seen loads of them with manly pits. And everyone else in AAA has manly pits too. Dunno about Nakadoi but Nishijima's a different case apparently. This is gonna make me sound like some obsessed fan but hey, it was mentioned in interviews and AAA talks about all kinds of sh*t in interviews and I can't unlearn things so...ANYway, from one of these interviews (it was a guys-only one), Nishijima has mentioned that he suffers from bald armpits. As in, they don't grow. Much. The others sorta made him admit it and in the interview you could see he really wasn't too happy about it. And true enough, if you squint hard enough when he raises his arms in episode 7, you'll see...some...very...fine...hair.

And dude actually has very hairy legs, as can be seen from certain magazine pictures when he's wearing one of those three-quarter length pants he likes so much and the magazine happened to zoom up on his legs....it's like he's showing them off though...and he has this smirk on his face that says "look, see! me got hairy legs! which makes me a MAN! a MAN i tell ya!"

...which tells me that he's probably extremely proud of them...and who could blame him, if that's the only part of him, besides on his head, that hair would grow? nuh-uh, i don't think he'd shave them off cos they're his precioussss--but it might be a different story if he's given a trillion yen or something.
Hm, there's also a scene of Hino with the rest in Kamome...huh...guess the omurice thingy's gonna be inevitable.........

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » Jun 1st, '10, 06:23

lullabye wrote: Well, few can be as manly as the Kyushu Boy. UFC fighters weep with sorrow that they can't match up. Or match outfits.
WIN! *IMAO* :lol :lol :lol
lullabye wrote:Is Seto really that much taller? I thought they were about the same.
Just 5 cm, well accurately 4,5 cm (170 cm and 174,5 cm). Although, I would say it´s not really that much height difference. Not when I look at Yamamoto. *lol*
lullabye wrote:Everything about Seto's face is heart shaped. Awwwwww!
=3
lullabye wrote: Yeah, I noticed that. They are both in desperate need of a sandwich. But (heh), please, feel free to continue to discuss his buttocks anywhere you wish. Or the rest of the cast's, for that matter. Those boys have been working hard since October. We should show our appreciation of the fine results.
:D Then let me heat on the discussion first. Girls (or boys), everybody, who do you think has the best butt? Honestly? Which one stands out the most to you? It´s not that the boys can hide it, so nobody here can back out by saying "I don´t know, I haven´t seen it!" :P

For me, it would be Seto, because, how Lullabye mentioned, he is really well-trained in that area. And since some infamous fundoshi-event, I can´t deny that I really enjoy the view of his backside and he somehow always stands out to me. Well, the sexy long legs help too, of course.

So girls, who for you? Don´t be shy! (well, not that you were before *lol*)
lullabye wrote: So, you noticed that, too? Who decided Seto should wear a soap suds shirt? And hat, for that matter. OK, it was cute. It didn't do a thing to reduce his baby-face image. I did miss Miura's buttocks, though. I will have to go back and verify your statement. For the sake of accuracy, of course.
:lol Of course only for the sake of accuracy! I rewind a lot of scences out of that reason too, just to confirm that I just saw right! :w00t:
Always this soap trick! It´s just like when Wataru (not our red-head), was soaped to his neck and just when I was thinking You can´t put even more soap on him, can you Kivat? HE DID JUST THAT! :glare:

@ Vspirit, well, I guess than is he a special case! :D
I didn´t noticed that there was some fine hair, I really thought it was fully shaved. That and that I think the same about Nakadoi reminded me about the time when Seto used to shave his legs and armpits, when he played Kikumaru Eiji. And, from a friend I heard too, that japanese Dancer tend to shave themselves, usually. But not, when you want to show your manliness of course, like what the other AAA boys seems to show then, and our Kyushu Boy. *lol*

Oh, just one question in general, can you be banned for a too indecent discussion? :unsure:

vspirit

Post by vspirit » Jun 1st, '10, 08:08

LoL. I think I've derailed the topic enough.

...let's get back on track. Hrm...what do you think will happen in the end? You think the boys will seriously win over Washizu? Cos as much as I'd like to see that happen, it does seem unrealistic and belittling to the hard work of students who have been professionally trained for years at Washizu as opposed to Wataru & co who's only been doing it gung-ho style for a few months...
they'll be getting a professional coach in but compared to the years of hard work Washizu's put in, it's probably still not going to be enough to win, judging from the tumbling we've seen the students there (the rest who actually are real athletes) do but if Karasumori does good enough to earn Washizu's recognition, that would be a victory in and on itself, wouldn't it?

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » Jun 1st, '10, 09:13

I think, we shouldn´t forget that Yuta is a strong and talented athlete, with the same basis training like Tsurumi. They were Rivals since middle school after all, not without a reason. I mean, you don´t declare another boy to your Rival, when he is no match for you. I bet there was something foul that Yuta did never got choosen for an competition. And, Rhythmic Gymnastics is mostly about collecting points, with a good and powerful performance. So, I would give them the chance to win, as long as Yuta is a strong leader and they all follow him. They are already up against Washizu, that´s how far Yuta bought his team, all on his own. Which is actually amazing, considering he did everything that was needed himself. The Coaching, the Coreographie, choosing and training new techniques, etc..

Washizu are trained by professional Coaches and do hardly anything beside training, they get everything, more or less, delivered on a golden plate. I respect that too, because they are great in their performance! But, behind Karasumori stands Yuta´s passion, that connects all the member to his Dream and shows how far you can come, when you do what you love. I think that, when they choose complex stunts (like the criss-cross-technique) and perfrom them clean and sophisticated, they might have a real chance to win. They could even try something totally out of the classical norm, new and fresh. The most important thing is, that they point with the judges. Flips are giving more points than Handstand-Springs, difficult stunts and movements in sync even more. When they can perform well, there is no limit.

But even when they don´t, Karasumori has nothing to loose. They gain respect at least for trying and the rowdies already benefit from putting themselves into this sport. They are no longer silly Yankees who get into meaningless fights, they are now silly Yankees who can fight for something that´s important to them. Thanks to Yuta. Hey, big mouth Wataru wouldn´t even have had the courage to go and meet his dying father, without his new friend. He would probably just have run away and get into a new fight. Maybe, he would even not be alive anymore. Stupid boys.

:-)

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jun 1st, '10, 13:22

P@permoon wrote: So girls, who for you? Don´t be shy! (well, not that you were before *lol*)
I guess for me the winner is Yusuke Yamamoto! My favourite....*cough* but the others, mmhhh...I like their....ahhhh... as well...they all are pretty....nice..round...you know.... *cough*
P@permoon wrote: Oh, just one question in general, can you be banned for a too indecent discussion? :unsure:

Haaaaaaaaaa?

I hope not, or I can pack my things right now.

What's your favourite funny scene so far? (Not too many happened, though, it's mostly dramatic) I love, love, love that moment in 5 so I made a gif of it.

:wub:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 1st, '10, 13:45

MaiKitty wrote:
P@permoon wrote: So girls, who for you? Don´t be shy! (well, not that you were before *lol*)
I guess for me the winner is Yusuke Yamamoto! My favourite....*cough* but the others, mmhhh...I like their....ahhhh... as well...they all are pretty....nice..round...you know.... *cough*
Seto has the most muscular shaped rear quarters. He doesn't even show Nissy-level arm muscle, but it's like, from the waist down, he's very manly. Waist up, very boyish. The incredible boy-man.
MaiKitty wrote:
P@permoon wrote: Oh, just one question in general, can you be banned for a too indecent discussion? :unsure:

Haaaaaaaaaa?

I hope not, or I can pack my things right now.
I'd have to come to. I hope there's room on the bus, cuz I gots lots of baggage.
MaiKitty wrote:What's your favourite funny scene so far? (Not too many happened, though, it's mostly dramatic) I love, love, love that moment in 5 so I made a gif of it.

:wub:
That is by far my favorite scene. Yuta's "tsk" and glare (nobody gives the evil eye better than Seto) with the regular team standing behind him disapprovingly, and Wataru looking completely clueless. Every time I come to it, I have to re-watch.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 1st, '10, 14:08

OK, to temporarily refrain from discussing the personal attributes of the male cast...

ahem...

I gathered from 2chan that a lot of Japanese viewers were disturbed by all the fighting and smoking that went on in the first three episodes. Starting in ep 4, Wataru has stopped smoking, and there's no more on-screen fighting after that, either. And the ratings go up beginning with 5. And then, in 6,
there is the repudiation of smoking during bath scene, and in 7 Wataru is telling his dad off for offering a high school student smokes. Now, I think the writers had already planned to use the delinquents' quitting smoking to signal their changed lives, but do you think this rather heavy-handedness is due to parental complaints?

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » Jun 1st, '10, 14:19

P@permoon asked:
  • So girls, who for you? Don´t be shy! (well, not that you were before *lol*)
How old are we again? :P
I guess I´m the oldest one here but that doesn´t matter... SUKEBE!!!
Anyway, the nicest butt?! Actually, I can´t help but thinking about Water Boys which of course shows a lot more (okay, the men bonding bathing scenes in Tumbling are great...) I always wonder...well, I must admit they all look to skinny for my taste... :crazy:
Hmmmm...Kiyama is the only one who would fit.... :wub:
About the end of this dorama... I think they won´t beat Washizu - If I recall both tumbling performances Washizu is just better >>> concerning the level of difficulty of somersault and that stuff... Maybe it´s like someone here already mentioned it: they will earn wholehearted respect of that group in the end. We will see... And if they will win maybe because of a stupid mistake by Washizu?
Argh, I guess we will know soon enough and then it´s anyway over... :cry:

vspirit

Post by vspirit » Jun 1st, '10, 14:53

On Tumbling's twitter today:-
Maybe it's cos his character's finally part of the group, Suave Suneo's spirits seem almost stratospheric these days. It's kinda like seeing a nut split open and all its content spill out.#tumbling

Suave Suneo = the producer's nickname for Nishijima

...i'm happy he's happy. but i hope this doens't mean Hino isn't gonna be prickly anymore cos dammit, I like prickly Hino!!!! There's a quiet icy beauty in that sorta character and Nishijima was playing him so well =((--which was a huge surprise seeing as how i'm more used to him being a hyper ball of sunshine...

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jun 1st, '10, 14:59

^and here I thought I was the one with the dirty undertone. And that one is from the producer. Priceless... :D

And yes for Ice-Prick Hino. Maybe it's just that Nishis spirits are high and not Hinos. Hopefully.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 1st, '10, 15:04

Zwitsch wrote:P@permoon asked:
Oh, I doubt you are the oldest. That's probably me, seeming like a pathetic cougar. But, really, we haven't even gotten to the part where I am secretly matchmaking them with female (sometimes male) performers. Now, that's when it gets scary.
Anyway, the nicest butt?! Actually, I can´t help but thinking about Water Boys which of course shows a lot more (okay, the men bonding bathing scenes in Tumbling are great...) I always wonder...well, I must admit they all look to skinny for my taste... :crazy:
Hmmmm...Kiyama is the only one who would fit.... :wub:
Fit? Do I even want to know?:whistling:

neisseria

Post by neisseria » Jun 1st, '10, 15:37

vspirit wrote:....Nippori's 1.78m in height. Hino's 1.70. It's just not possible, man.
Hey, maybe if Nippori's rockin' pompadour is part of those 178cms-- Hah, nah, true that, 8cms' difference may be a bit of a stretch here. I was surprised though, I thought both would be shorter than that!

About the character death rumors and the ending:
Hmm, maybe if one of the main characters had to die they'd have hinted harder at it. It's true the way Yuta talks about Wataru makes it sound like he's dead but maybe it was just to show the juxtaposition of "the man who made my dream come true" and the old Wataru in all his smoking & fighting glory. Then again, iirc that yakuza guy in episode 2 said "Let's meet again". What if they do indeed meet again and...
...I'll cross my fingers so that it doesn't really happen!

Will they beat Washizu? Well, considering they went from 7 to 17 points in a matter of weeks (even though the circumstances were very different), anything is possible!
I don't know whether they'll win in the end, but if they do I hope it's not because of Washizu making a mistake, victory is sweeter when you have to work hard for it, if it was just handed to them I'd feel a bit cheated :P
The wha--- what the hell, Mr. (Ms.?) producer hahahahahaahahahh

Now I feel kinda bad 'cause it seems I'm the only one not paying enough attention to their rears. I'll have to fix that when I rewatch, eh. 8)

Ah, and I forgot: so there were complaints about the fighting scenes but still Gokusen's always had popularity and high ratings? :/ I don't know about the filming pace but is there time to change the screenplay only a couple weeks before broadcasting?
The smoking thing really baffled me, I know they need to show the yankee-gumi are changing their ways and all but if you've been smoking for years you can't just suddenly stop like that, no matter how strong-willed you are nicotine creates addiction. I'm pretty confused here :unsure:

unguanime

Post by unguanime » Jun 1st, '10, 15:52

I think the producer meant about Nishi not Hino. Nishi said (where I can't remember) that he wanted Hino to join the team. It seems because he's the total opposite of his character and he got lonely doing the individual routine :p

vspirit

Post by vspirit » Jun 1st, '10, 16:22

^lol i know the producer's talking about Nishijima. But with his spirits so high up in the air...i'm wondering if it'll get translated into his role as Hino. which would be okay so long as Hino's basic nature or being a b*tchy little kouhai remains. xxxD
neisseria wrote:Hey, maybe if Nippori's rockin' pompadour is part of those 178cms-- Hah, nah, true that, 8cms' difference may be a bit of a stretch here.
This had me loling so hard, i don't feel inclined to disagree anymore. xxxD He's really rockin' that retro style, despite being 21 in the 21st---22nd? century. xxD
neisseria wrote:I was surprised though, I thought both would be shorter than that!
lol, well those are their officially stated heights. And from what I can tell of the Glory Days performance I went to see last year, Nishijima's about there. That and he's said in some interview that he feels a little taller from all the stretching he had to do for Tumbling so maybe he's about 1.71 now or something.

And I think the thingy about smoking and fighting was more due to the fact that the show's supposed to be about men's rhythmic gymnastics and that's what the people want to see more of since that was what they strongly promoted it as. one or two eps of rowdiness is fine but more than that people will start to feel cheated i guess. if they wanted roughhousing, they'd watch gokusen, which was a movie about delinqs especially.

speaking of which, i kinda wish they'd find other ways to create problems rather than reusing the old rowdy crowd schtick. it's actually making them appear lazy, imo.

and the drama factor sure is high with this one, if even the teacher ends up losing it. xxxD

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jun 1st, '10, 19:41

lullabye wrote:
Zwitsch wrote:P@permoon asked:
Oh, I doubt you are the oldest. That's probably me, seeming like a pathetic cougar.
Points at age. I doubt I am the youngest here, either. That made me come to the conclusion that this innocent coming-of-age-highschool drama attracts men-in-tights-lovin-grannies instead of your usual 12 year old fangirl. :cheers:
I don't think Wataru or any other member will die. If that happens I would feel cheated. The dying of the dad was enough.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 2nd, '10, 19:00

I love this place. We ask for uploads, and we get them. Thanks, Xraymind!

Vspirit, did you say you had read about what's in the novel? Would you share regarding the different characters? I'd love to know if there is any deeper background given for any of them.

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » Jun 2nd, '10, 19:27

MaiKitty wrote:
Points at age. I doubt I am the youngest here, either. That made me come to the conclusion that this innocent coming-of-age-highschool drama attracts men-in-tights-lovin-grannies instead of your usual 12 year old fangirl.
THAT WAS GREAT!!!! :salut:
Well, I am older than you, MaiKitty just few years but maybe younger that obachan lullabye!?!? :P Whos knows...
I also think that nobody else will die! That would be really awfully...
The thing about that Yuta tells the story and the words "...he WAS the one who (Wataru)..." will (hopefully) just be a short introduction and an expression of truly respect alternatively "love" for Wataru.
IF another charakter dies I would be really depressed...
Btw, Tsuchiya always speaks kind of out of breath?! Does he? Is it because of his illness? Anyway, he reminds me of Stevie of Malcom in the Middle < great show! :mrgreen:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 3rd, '10, 00:08

Zwitsch wrote:MaiKitty wrote:
Points at age. I doubt I am the youngest here, either. That made me come to the conclusion that this innocent coming-of-age-highschool drama attracts men-in-tights-lovin-grannies instead of your usual 12 year old fangirl.
THAT WAS GREAT!!!! :salut:
Well, I am older than you, MaiKitty just few years but maybe younger that obachan lullabye!?!? :P Whos knows...
Oh, it's obachan now, is it? :lol

But I don't mind what anyone calls me, as long as it isn't "the deceased."
I also think that nobody else will die! That would be really awfully...
The thing about that Yuta tells the story and the words "...he WAS the one who (Wataru)..." will (hopefully) just be a short introduction and an expression of truly respect alternatively "love" for Wataru.
IF another charakter dies I would be really depressed...
So far, they've managed to make us cry every episode. I will be surprised if there's no crying on the last one.
Btw, Tsuchiya always speaks kind of out of breath?! Does he? Is it because of his illness? Anyway, he reminds me of Stevie of Malcom in the Middle < great show! :mrgreen:

I think that because he speaks breathlessly he has that high pitched voice. Probably some vocal training would bring his voice down a bit, but that might not be terribly good for his career.

vspirit

Post by vspirit » Jun 3rd, '10, 01:59

@lullabye - i haven't read the novel for myself. i've only seen blogs of people who's read it and comments at various BBS and even so they only let spill very limited info. I mentioned this earlier but Tsukimori had a slightly different background and his parents were also mentioned, or rather his dad was so maybe there was some background coverage for him in the novel. I can only suppose that there were more info about the others too given that it's a novel =)

mowgwie

Post by mowgwie » Jun 3rd, '10, 09:17

Is anyone else getting tired of Yuta being such a wuss? Every time there's a little problem he just freezes up and can't do anything, and it takes the whole rest of the team to get him back together. The guy really needs to get some...guts!

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 3rd, '10, 13:18

mowgwie wrote:Is anyone else getting tired of Yuta being such a wuss? Every time there's a little problem he just freezes up and can't do anything, and it takes the whole rest of the team to get him back together. The guy really needs to get some...guts!
No, not really. It's Yuta telling the story, so I figure he's being self-effacing. Plus, he's hardly a wuss. The only "freezing up" he did was was
when he realized he couldn't jump after the accident in ep 7, and he still tried to work through it.
The problem for Yuta is that he doesn't ask for help so he doesn't realize there are solutions other than just what he can do. And he can do a lot. He's the glue of the team, the coach, the most experienced athlete, and the captain. If anything, he's overly responsible. And that also explains his reaction in ep 2, after having had responsibility for the worst delinquent in the entire school dumped in his lap. He's already a super achiever. It would be unrealistic for him to not show cracks.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 3rd, '10, 13:37

vspirit wrote:@lullabye - i haven't read the novel for myself. i've only seen blogs of people who's read it and comments at various BBS and even so they only let spill very limited info. I mentioned this earlier but Tsukimori had a slightly different background and his parents were also mentioned, or rather his dad was so maybe there was some background coverage for him in the novel. I can only suppose that there were more info about the others too given that it's a novel =)
Darn these people who don't give more information! They are going to force me to actually learn enough Japanese to read a book. And here I have been so happy just being able to read a TV schedule.

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » Jun 3rd, '10, 15:08

I don´t see how Yuta is a Wuss. Could you maybe explain more what exactly bothers you? When I look back, I see a strong boy, who knows about his responsibility and makes decisions with his brain, carefully and logical. I like to see him facing a wall now and then, because confronting a character with problems develops him. And Yuta has done great in that matter, which is probably a point, which makes me saying that he is the one with most depth, especially in the emotional aspect.

Let´s go a bit in retrospect:
Episode 1: From the start, Yuta is the only one not frightened of Wataru´s gang and even affronts them. But Yuta made a mistake by wanting too much too fast. He let Wataru, a amateur, participate in a real tournament and risked not only the name of the school by disgracing them, but also that a member would get seriously injured. Yuta stood up for his mistake and took the consequences by quitting his position as Captain. Which is exactly what´s expected from someone in a leading position and has nothing to do with giving up.

Episode 2: Since the predominant opinion of the rhythmic gymnastics people is, that he is unqualified, Yuta decides for himself, with a heavy heart, not to return and rather to dismiss his dream, instead of bringing the whole team down. So he thinks. In the end, he sees that he has the whole support of his team, what surely wouldn´t be, if he would be truly unqualified to lead them.

Episode 3: Yuta helps to support Nippori and stands up for the gang, defending them against Washizu by saying "They are no garbage, they are team member!"

Episode 4: When they clean the mats, Yuta silently accepts Wataru´s apology which indicates that he doesn´t blame him for anything, even through the attack on the mats applied to Wataru, and is comfortable with him around. Then, Yuta shows interest in the yankee friends, by asking after Kiyama´s past. He made a first step by opening Wataru up a bit and let him tell the story.

Episode 5: Yuta presents his team openly at the camp and tries to integrate the new member, by addressing the obvious problem Mizusawa has with Kiyama at the dinner.

Episode 6: The captain wants to try a difficult new technique, but when the accident happens he is scared, losing his ability to fly. He fights the trauma with training hard. Wataru offers help, but without success. Yet both boys open up to each other and he gets Wataru to talk for the first time about his personal problems. As a result of the unavailing training, Yuta decides to abandon the new technique, before risking a worse accident. He keeps going, when he sees that Kaneko blamed himself for the mistake (well, he indeed caused the accident, because his legs weren´t fully opened) and kept training too. In the end, Yuta overcomes his trauma through his intense training, motivated with the cheering of his team. He encourages Wataru to visit his dad.

Epsidoe 7: All the hard work the team went through pays off. For Yuta it means, that all the coaching he did, the hours he spent creating the choreography, designing the uniforms and managing serveral other things like paperwork, were effective, because he lead his Team to success. With a surprising new member. But then, Yuta actually had planned the choreography from the start with Hino in mind.
So, yes, I see him as a good Captain at the beginning, who matured into a great leader up to now. He tends to be stubborn and doesn´t wants to show a weakness, which ends in him not seeking for help, instead Yuta tries to solve everything alone, wanting to be independent (which makes me want to get to know his parents, to see how their relationship is). But I don´t see how he is behaving like a Wuss. If somebody would be gutless, it would be Kashiwagi-sensei who can´t stand up for his own opinion (yet), but he started to change thanks to the boys already.
lullabye wrote: The problem for Yuta is that he doesn't ask for help so he doesn't realize there are solutions other than just what he can do. And he can do a lot. He's the glue of the team, the coach, the most experienced athlete, and the captain. If anything, he's overly responsible. And that also explains his reaction in ep 2, after having had responsibility for the worst delinquent in the entire school dumped in his lap. He's already a super achiever. It would be unrealistic for him to not show cracks.
Yep, exactly!
What I wanted to say expressed in just 3 sentences. :pale:

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jun 3rd, '10, 16:42

^It's obvious who you're favourite is P@permooon. :) Not that that's a bad thing. I actually agree with you on most parts, a pretty neat analysis on Yuta you wrote there. He surely is no Wuss, but I understand how people would easily come to this conclusion, especially if you don't understand everything that's been said. I felt a little bit annoyed with him in episode 6, too. I really hope there will be some more character development. Like I've written before, time is an issue now. I hope we get 11 episode, 12 would be fantastic but to be honest I'm expecting 10. (Don't know if there are any news on this) So only 3 more, 8 is Sensei-based that means 2 more. Which is not a lot. I'm kind of scared about the rushing of things now.

Another thing I've been pondering is Wataru, more specifically him being a delinquent. I know it's for the story. Like the bad boy Wataru joins the team and changes the team and the team changes him. But from what I've seen from Wataru so far is that he is a goodhearted boy that loves his mum and WANTS to go to school. Why on earth did he become an delinquent? I just don't get it. Maybe I missed something, my japanese is mediocre, so please tell me. Is it laziness on his part? Maybe I'm thinking too much about this. haha....

vspirit

Post by vspirit » Jun 3rd, '10, 16:46

^it's slated to be 11 episodes yo.
ep 9's apparently bout kaneko and his childhood friend who turned to the dark--uh, delinquent side. with ep 11 being about the kantou level meet, you kinda have to wonder what 10's gonna be about. Seto's said in the tumbling twitter that it's gonna be super interesting (he just got the script yesterday or something) but what actor wouldn't think of his own show as such? xxD

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jun 3rd, '10, 17:31

^ Wow, 11? Thanks for the info! I hope 11 will be as long as the first episode. :) That would be really cool.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jun 3rd, '10, 22:11

MaiKitty wrote:Another thing I've been pondering is Wataru, more specifically him being a delinquent. I know it's for the story. Like the bad boy Wataru joins the team and changes the team and the team changes him. But from what I've seen from Wataru so far is that he is a goodhearted boy that loves his mum and WANTS to go to school. Why on earth did he become an delinquent? I just don't get it. Maybe I missed something, my japanese is mediocre, so please tell me. Is it laziness on his part? Maybe I'm thinking too much about this. haha....
From what his mother said to him and his own flashbacking, I gather that it is a combination of laziness and a desire to be cool. For a lot of teenagers, showing enthusiasm for anything is dangerous social territory. What if other people tease you?! OMG!ZOMG!!OXQCSMZAWTG!!!11!!!1! So, Yuta's insight that Wataru had never cared passionately for anything hit home, especially because he had framed it in terms of having the courage to desire something fervently. And, like you say, he didn't want to quit school, either, even though he didn't care enough about it to actually pass the courses. Why would he want to quit? Leave school, and then you end up having to either find work and with no education, be in jobs that garner no respect, or become a criminal, working as a petty thug and embarrassing your mama. And he is completely a mama's boy, so that would be terrible.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jun 3rd, '10, 22:22

^Yes, that is probably the reason. I never thought I would care much for his character, because usually the main characters in that kind of drama get on my nerves, and we already had the discussion here too, that Wataru showed Mary-Sueish traits. But in the end I just love the way he is, so positive and he is not a bad kid at all - and he wasn't even bad in the beginning. And I really like his relationship with his mama. I'm a sucker for mother/child stories.

I think a very strong theme is "Finding the place where you belong" " A place where you can be yourself". This is what they always repeat in the show and basically is Tumblings main underlying theme.

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » Jun 3rd, '10, 22:40

Doesn´t everyone has a character he can sympathize with more than the others? I think that´s just natural. :-)

I find it easy to understand how Yuta feels. Doesn´t everyone of us was once scared in gym class, when the teacher ordered us to jump over the (vaulting) horse? Or getting into a traffic accident and hesitating to drive again. Sometimes it´s just not easy to keep going. But in Yuta´s case, it´s even severe, since a accident during tumbling can easily cause paraplegia or a neck fracture. Coming over a shock caused by a collision in the air is kind of admirable, that was how I felt when he was able to jump around freely again.

Wataru is not a bad person and that I would mainly assign to his mom. She really knows how to keep him at bay, but she is kind of unconventional in her own way. Having a son, who is a good student and has a aim in life, doesn´t seems to be realistic in this case. He grew up with a lot of freedom, doing just what he wants to do, avoiding everything strenuous. He is a lazy-butt, yes. I think that Wataru is, despite his looks, very immature. He doesn´t wants more than to hang out with his friends and the highlight of his days is proving his power as Akasaka´s most feared deliquent by fighting it out. When he would stop going to school, were he is practically the king, it would mean giving up his kingdom and having to look for a job. Wataru would have to stand on his own feets, working and not fighting, helping out instead of meeting his friends.

Another thing is, that one of the major points in the show is, having the clash of two utterly differnt social ranks. Wataru, the delinquent and bad student versus Yuta, the top student coming from a well-situated family (Nike sneakers, matching gym bag and sport-watch? That´s not your average student). So that, when Azuma joined Takenaka´s RG team, it just screams trouble of the worst kind, and turns the Captains life upside down. Bringing the big question to the audience, now how they will deal with it? It one of the things that makes the series interesting.

Parents complaining about smoking and fighting scenes reminds me of Koizora, when they almost got an heart-attack and ran on the barricades, because there was an actual real kissing scene. Kato P. had to write an extra long statement, saying that it was necessary to the story and for expressing emotions, and that they won´t go further. I´m glad that the complains regarding Tumbling aren´t reaching that level. When I look at Rookies or some other series, which show a lot of violence, but nobody ever said something. Oh japanese parents can spoil the fun sometimes. But I don´t mind that the fighting scenes are (mostly, when nobody is running into another Yankee-Gang again) over now and we can now fully concentrate on RG.

We get 10 episodes for sure. :-)
But there was also a hint, that there are two remaining last ones, which could mean either is 10 a two-parter or we get an 11th episode.

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » Jun 3rd, '10, 22:52

My favourite funny moment too! :lol :lol :lol