Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[DISCUSSION] Koibumi

Post by thetenken » Oct 8th, '04, 02:38

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Oct 14th, '04, 05:27

Koibumi is definitely a must see drama. It deals with complex relationship that is just missing in today's formulaic romantic drama. However, I have to say that the concept did weird me out at the beginning. From time to time, I want to punch the guy's face because he was irresponsible to his wife :glare:

Akiramike
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Oct 18th, '04, 15:15

I found Koibumi to be pretty boring. Probably cause the concept and the way the characters responded to it, especially the husband's character just didn't make sense. I continued watching hoping for some revelation that would enable me make more sense of the characters' decisions.

I guess whether one would enjoy the series depends on the acceptance of the concept. Its definitely different from other dramas but I feel the motivations of the characters don't seem realistic or at the very least explained properly.

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Oct 23rd, '04, 05:24

Akiramike wrote:I found Koibumi to be pretty boring. Probably cause the concept and the way the characters responded to it, especially the husband's character just didn't make sense. I continued watching hoping for some revelation that would enable me make more sense of the characters' decisions.

I guess whether one would enjoy the series depends on the acceptance of the concept. Its definitely different from other dramas but I feel the motivations of the characters don't seem realistic or at the very least explained properly.
Hmm, I guess we have different impressions of the drama. You've never met someone who was just too nice for his own good? Who would help those who are in need, no matter the cost to himself? The main character has a child's naivete and an idealism that seems to draw people to him.

Akiramike
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Oct 24th, '04, 02:43

thetenken wrote: Hmm, I guess we have different impressions of the drama. You've never met someone who was just too nice for his own good? Who would help those who are in need, no matter the cost to himself? The main character has a child's naivete and an idealism that seems to draw people to him.
Never thought about him as an extremely naive and idealistic person. Its true that he acts like a kid but I was waiting for some revelation to explain his strange behaviour.

In regards to drawing people to him, I don't see why his wife can put up with disregard for his family.

I suppose its a question of how naive and idealistic one can accept a jdrama character to be. I don't have any problems accepting the behaviour or the supporting character in 'Konna koi no hanashi' who trusts people too much. However, leaving one's family, quitting one's job and lying to a dying woman (who selfishly knew he was married) especially since there is no interesting story to their relationship makes the main character of Koibumi look like an idiot.

Not to mention him divorcing the wife so he can marry the dying woman. He may be too nice for his own good but it was to the detriment of his wife and family.

I'm just giving you my impression of the drama and hope you don't take it personally. Your comments on his naivety and idealism do shed more light on his actions but abandoning his family for a dying woman (without some tragic backstory) just makes him seem really bad.

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Nov 13th, '04, 16:37

MAJOR SPOILERS, BEWARE!
Akiramike wrote:
thetenken wrote: Hmm, I guess we have different impressions of the drama. You've never met someone who was just too nice for his own good? Who would help those who are in need, no matter the cost to himself? The main character has a child's naivete and an idealism that seems to draw people to him.
Never thought about him as an extremely naive and idealistic person. Its true that he acts like a kid but I was waiting for some revelation to explain his strange behaviour.

In regards to drawing people to him, I don't see why his wife can put up with disregard for his family.

I suppose its a question of how naive and idealistic one can accept a jdrama character to be. I don't have any problems accepting the behaviour or the supporting character in 'Konna koi no hanashi' who trusts people too much. However, leaving one's family, quitting one's job and lying to a dying woman (who selfishly knew he was married) especially since there is no interesting story to their relationship makes the main character of Koibumi look like an idiot.

Not to mention him divorcing the wife so he can marry the dying woman. He may be too nice for his own good but it was to the detriment of his wife and family.

I'm just giving you my impression of the drama and hope you don't take it personally. Your comments on his naivety and idealism do shed more light on his actions but abandoning his family for a dying woman (without some tragic backstory) just makes him seem really bad.
Sorry about the delayed response. Yeah, I guess it's just a difference of perception. People get different things out of series, so I don't take it personally at all. =)

I guess the point I was trying to make is that Shouichi operates on a different moral compass, one that is bound more on doing what he feels is the right thing. My view is that he is a struggled with the choices that he made, but ultimately felt like to abandon a woman who has no family, has no friends, and is living out the last six months of her life would be too much of an injustice to her. And in order to make her last days on earth less painful, he'd try and make her happy. He also had feelings for her, and probably still loved her. His feelings for Etsuko were a different sort of love than for his wife, Kyouko, as discussed in the conversation he had with his wife, concerning what type of woman he loved (the weak and tender woman who needs to be taken care of vs. the stronger, take-charge independent woman). I thought that was a pivotal moment that showed how much Kyouko gave up to love her husband, and his decision not to re-marry Kyouko because he felt that he had wronged her too much (well, until the ending).

When my mom watched it, she was also extremely critical of Shouichi's behavior. Yet I guess I can see people making the decisions that he made. This belief is central to the story, and if you don't believe it, I guess it would become more of an exercise in absurdity to the viewer...

Kami

Post by Kami » Dec 30th, '04, 19:38

where can i download this? can anyone give me a link,pls? :cry:

Carn

Post by Carn » Dec 31st, '04, 07:25

Kami: here are the torrents.

I downloaded this when it was the Series of the Week, but I never really felt motivated to watch it. However, when I read the reviews, it really made me interested in the story, so I sat down to watch it last night and finished this morning. ^_^ That's why I think the reviews are so good, because they help me figure out which dramas I should watch, and their explanations also help me understand the ones I've already seen.

Anyway, it seemed like the story was less about Shoichi than about Kyoko and Etsuko, because most of the time the drama seemed to focus on their responses to his actions. I thought Mizuno Miki and Wakui Emi did a convincing job in their respective roles, and the supporting actors in the side story of Keisaku and Mikiko were really good too.

Shoichi's actions didn't seem that farfetched, but sometimes, like xiaryx, I really wanted smack him..especially when he'd break out in his grin at seemingly inappropriate times. ><

Ahhh..anyway, I'm really glad I watched it. I definitely recommend it. =)

Post by 206 » Jan 10th, '05, 03:13

I enjoyed the series but found it really hard to believe in the story line. What guy has no responsibilities at all and can up and leave on a request? What wife would tollerate his actions? I can see a terminally ill person wanting to spend time with an old flame as believable. Maybe the book was better in breaking it down.

TheBombastic1

Post by TheBombastic1 » Feb 6th, '05, 01:20

You know. I expected it to be a very tragic tale, from the synopsis I read before hand. But the more I watche it, the more uplifting it was. It portrayed a level of trust in people's relationships with each other, that kinda made me feel good about people in general.