correlation charts. Why?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
outcast_within

correlation charts. Why?

Post by outcast_within » Oct 27th, '09, 12:21

Every j-drama show i click has them.

Do japanese people don't like getting introduced to the characters lets say through the series?

Do the writers all work in some format and use a correlation chart as the basis? : We need a lead, someone opposite of the lead, a love interest. A strict boss, some silly co workers. A childhood friend and some people whose lives will be changed by the lead. Check. Now lets write about the show will actually be about.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 28th, '09, 08:06

the co-relation chart helps the viewers kind of follow the story. Not everyone watches from episode one. And some might skip episodes here and there so they miss something. This is kind of like reference. Also, it's for those who are curious how the characters are related in the story. A picture is worth a thousand words.

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Oct 28th, '09, 23:47

seirin wrote:the co-relation chart helps the viewers kind of follow the story. Not everyone watches from episode one. And some might skip episodes here and there so they miss something. This is kind of like reference. Also, it's for those who are curious how the characters are related in the story. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Who would skip episodes, Blasphemy!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 29th, '09, 09:54

outcast_within wrote:
seirin wrote:the co-relation chart helps the viewers kind of follow the story. Not everyone watches from episode one. And some might skip episodes here and there so they miss something. This is kind of like reference. Also, it's for those who are curious how the characters are related in the story. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Who would skip episodes, Blasphemy!
if you notice ratings, they vary from week to week. Some people tune in, then tune out for whatever reason and tune back in or whatever. So not everyone who started watching it follows every episode.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Oct 29th, '09, 10:33

I think it's also a cultural thing and it doesn't just happen in JDorama either.
You would see some form of these charts in lectures or seminars in Japan as well.

popoycanton

Re: correlation charts. Why?

Post by popoycanton » Oct 29th, '09, 10:51

outcast_within wrote:Every j-drama show i click has them.

Do japanese people don't like getting introduced to the characters lets say through the series?

Do the writers all work in some format and use a correlation chart as the basis? : We need a lead, someone opposite of the lead, a love interest. A strict boss, some silly co workers. A childhood friend and some people whose lives will be changed by the lead. Check. Now lets write about the show will actually be about.
Its the same with American shows, they just don't use graphical representation, you have to read the "about."

My advice, don't over rationale things, it is what it is.

mauisplash

Post by mauisplash » Oct 29th, '09, 22:02

Agreed! No repeats in Japan as far as I remember. Once you miss an episode you miss it. This is also why there are those god awful recap episodes I love sooo much :P

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 30th, '09, 00:43

mauisplash wrote:
Agreed! No repeats in Japan as far as I remember. Once you miss an episode you miss it. This is also why there are those god awful recap episodes I love sooo much :P
Well, they do have re-runs, but I'm not sure when they show them. I think maybe when the current one is near the end or reached the end? I remember Toma mentioning HanaKimi was being re-run(at an off peak time) during the HK was running near the end.

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Oct 30th, '09, 17:48

if someone has a correlation chart of manhattan love story i will be very impressed.

naokanzaki

Post by naokanzaki » Jan 23rd, '10, 06:24

outcast_within wrote:if someone has a correlation chart of manhattan love story i will be very impressed.
May be a bit difficult to read, :-( normally they're in the inside of the DVD case, also a very under-rated drama, highly recommended. :cheers: