[Discussion] Gakeppuchi no Hero / Buzzer Beat (Yamapi)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Aug 2nd, '09, 21:21

I'm loving this drama despite a few complaints here and there for example...

I'm not a huge fan of Keiko, she annoyed me in a previous drama (can't remember which) so I'm not particularly thrilled that she is the leading lady and will develop with Yamapi. However, I do like her character when she is in her random mode! :Like the suddening yelling and the best bit was the lauhing..so if she continues like that then I'll grow to like her more and more.

Second, I really like Aibu Saki but I can see that they are screwing up her character and will make all the viewers hate her/her role! I think her and Yamapi make a realllllly cute pair...I think they look better than Yamapi and Keiko.

Third...I am not looking forward to all the confrontation..I mean it will be soooo messy...relationships mixes between players, coach, OL/cheerleader...There are some nice relationships developing like with the coach and I can see them not going so well.

But all in all this is a really good drama...it's funny and addictive, I was worried that it'll become a stupid/baka drama but they seem to have not overstepped the funny line into baka-ness. So that's why despite my complaints I'm still going to watch this and anticipate the next episodes!! (I just hope they don't make Saki's character too bad!)

Also...if I stand from Saki's point of view, I will also feel my boyfriend is missing something..okay it doesn't justify what she did but if my boyfriend showed me no passion and was also like a kid, I'd get fed up too...but there are off course other girls who like guys like this!

Anyhow...favourite character...without a doubt goes to MAI!!! I LOVE ALL HER SCENES!!!

misuzana

Post by misuzana » Aug 2nd, '09, 22:54

fifimimi wrote:I'm loving this drama despite a few complaints here and there for example...

Also...if I stand from Saki's point of view, I will also feel my boyfriend is missing something..okay it doesn't justify what she did but if my boyfriend showed me no passion and was also like a kid, I'd get fed up too...but there are off course other girls who like guys like this!

Anyhow...favourite character...without a doubt goes to MAI!!! I LOVE ALL HER SCENES!!!
yup thats so true ... the only thing in that charater of his is that he cooks and clean with no complain :D and that any woman would love ... but it also has have the physical has tobe there as well Oops going on and on :whistling:

and most definitely MAI!!! is my girl she keeps it going :P :cheers:

jadejoker

Post by jadejoker » Aug 3rd, '09, 04:49

So in my opinion, I'm really enjoying the show but personally... I don't see Yamapi (Naoki) in the same way as I see others do. I feel that he really does want a family and kids and to settle down but he doesn't want to live with someone until he regains his confidence. He acknowledges his inferiority complex and tries to cope with it. It's not like he's oblivious. He is still loving, thoughtful, and lets face it... HOT ^__________^

As for Aibu Saki's character isn't it a good thing that we can see her play a different role? It always sucks to see a fave celebrity play a nastier character but it also shows their versatility as an actor(ress) if they can pull it off. Plus, she is prettty two-faced. She acts one way in front of Naoki and another way when she's on her own. She wants stability but is unwilling to compromise with Naoki.
Originally I was going to say that if she's unable to voice her concerns and keep smiling about how everything's okay she's never going to get anywhere but after episode three that point is no longer valid. But now we'll wait to see how he responds.
I also have to say YAY for Mai! And for Shuji!

Ooooh the previews for episode 4... Can't wait! Looks so good!

Jayene

Post by Jayene » Aug 3rd, '09, 18:44

I like the pace of the story. They're developing the relationships pretty well.

Natsuki is the most interesting character in the drama. I find her dual personalities kinda fascinating. She knows what she wants, but she's hiding behind a facade. As if her desires aren't acceptable by society. I wonder if she was always like this throughout her relationship with Naoki or if it developed recently. I'm a sucker for the morally ambiguous characters, and I'm so happy Aibu Saki is stepping away from the nice girl archetype. Any one find it kind of funny that Bad!Natsuki has to start smoking to signal her presence? Only bad people smoke, ya'll! :lol

Naoki is pretty blah, and so is Yamapi's acting I'm afraid. He has got to be the dullest boyfriend ever. Do. Not. Want.I haven't really warmed to Riko either, but Keiko is doing a darn good job. She gives a lot of life to the character. But I'm going to have to go against the grain and give the Mai character a thumbs down. Very annoying. But I find Komatsu Ayaka's character charming. Odd. :lol

Goodnessgracious

Post by Goodnessgracious » Aug 4th, '09, 02:48

fifimimi wrote: Second, I really like Aibu Saki but I can see that they are screwing up her character and will make all the viewers hate her/her role! I think her and Yamapi make a realllllly cute pair...I think they look better than Yamapi and Keiko.
To be honest I've always hated Aibu Saki. She was just so unbelievably annoying in Zettai Kareshi and other dramas. For me, she is perfect for her role in Buzzer Beat, because she pulls the "b*tch" look very well. I am even starting to like her a bit.You are wrong if you think that a negative character can damage actor's career, it is all the way around. But I honestly don't see why you think Aibu and Yamapi make a good pair. They are so stiff together, did you them kiss and hug? It was just awkward.
Him and Keiko have a totally different feel about them. Like in that scene in episode 3, when they looked at ech other while listening to the MP3 player. I thought it was brilliant. They have chemistry, which is surprising considering Yamapi's lack of acting skills.

P.S. I am with everyone on Mai and Shuji. They are hilarious.

FArAZ0990

Post by FArAZ0990 » Aug 4th, '09, 06:59

episode 4 raw is already on youtube.... :blink

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Aug 4th, '09, 14:15

Goodnessgracious wrote:
fifimimi wrote: Second, I really like Aibu Saki but I can see that they are screwing up her character and will make all the viewers hate her/her role! I think her and Yamapi make a realllllly cute pair...I think they look better than Yamapi and Keiko.
To be honest I've always hated Aibu Saki. She was just so unbelievably annoying in Zettai Kareshi and other dramas. For me, she is perfect for her role in Buzzer Beat, because she pulls the "b*tch" look very well. I am even starting to like her a bit.You are wrong if you think that a negative character can damage actor's career, it is all the way around. But I honestly don't see why you think Aibu and Yamapi make a good pair. They are so stiff together, did you them kiss and hug? It was just awkward.
Him and Keiko have a totally different feel about them. Like in that scene in episode 3, when they looked at ech other while listening to the MP3 player. I thought it was brilliant. They have chemistry, which is surprising considering Yamapi's lack of acting skills.

P.S. I am with everyone on Mai and Shuji. They are hilarious.

My point isn't about the chemistry onscreen or in the plot...off course if they were planning to pull Yamapi and Saki they wouldn't make them have great chemistry in the plot. I said they 'look' good together as in 'look' with the eye, because they are more baby faced and cute looking...Keiko actually looks much more mature in my eyes, I certainly think she looks older than her actual age (but this is only my opinion.)

Further...I don't think playing a bad role will ruin someone's career...I'm saying that by playing such a role, many fangirls will hate her character...this doesn't take it beyond the drama. I think it's hideously stupid to think that playing a bad/evil role will ruin one's career...in fact, if portrayed well could even do you much more good than bad. An example in my eyes in Ohno Satoshi in Maou (totally my God!!) Maybe I should just write more and more clearly to make sure I say exactly what I mean in the future.

Onigir1

Post by Onigir1 » Aug 4th, '09, 17:18

I find it funny that everyone feels the need to point out the lack of acting skills in Yamapi but no one mentioned the scene in which Riko "got drunk"... Just saying :whistling: I love Yamapi but while I realize he's not a great actor, I just don't think he is that bad at all, just average.

His character Naoki on the other hand, well, I agree that he's boring :mrgreen: But I really like his childish and naive personality, how he likes kids and cooking and how he's so thoughtful and caring. Even if we ignore the blatant good looks, he's totally a keeper. He's just not in love with his girlfriend and thus the lack of passion. It's like he admires the qualities he thinks she has, that he thinks she is perfect to a point where it makes him feel inferior (And the theme of this show wasn't how Love makes you strong and not the other way round?) but where are the sparks? Have they ever been there at all?

Riko so far hast to be one of my favorite female characters on a jdrama ever, I hope that doesn't change, she's pure win.

And I love the complexity of Natsuki's character, she might be a cheating **** but she's not as evil as it seemed.

As for Shuuji and Mai, I love them teaming up and since Mai is so much into older guys, it would be pretty amusing to see them end up together actually, hahaha.

Overall, I'm addicted to this!

Jayene

Post by Jayene » Aug 4th, '09, 17:29

I definitely see chemistry between Yamapi and Saki as well. They're small moments, but it's definitely there. Their characters don't call for blatant displays of chemistry like Riko/Naoki is suppose to, though. I could see them portraying a more loving couple in a different drama quite well.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Aug 4th, '09, 23:27

Onigir1 wrote:I find it funny that everyone feels the need to point out the lack of acting skills in Yamapi but no one mentioned the scene in which Riko "got drunk"... Just saying :whistling: I love Yamapi but while I realize he's not a great actor, I just don't think he is that bad at all, just average.
!
I do agree, I don't at any point think Yamapi is doing a bad job or a bad actor. Whilst I'm not a fan of his, though I'm warming to him a bit, I don't see much problems with his acting, pretty average I guess...and if his character is boring, and can't kiss a girl, I wouldn't put that down to him just yet.
Jayene wrote:I definitely see chemistry between Yamapi and Saki as well. They're small moments, but it's definitely there. Their characters don't call for blatant displays of chemistry like Riko/Naoki is suppose to, though. I could see them portraying a more loving couple in a different drama quite well.
I think I know what you mean..like the odd eye contact here and there!!

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 5th, '09, 01:41

I watched this drama out of curiosity to see something of Kitagawa Keiko as i liked her in Mop Girl and i thought she was cute.
i thought ep1 was OK with possibilty of me dumping this drama because i really don't like sport themed dramas. had to fastforward all the games in ep1.
but for somereason dled ep2 and i hay to say that story developed much better than i expected. i like Yamapi as Naoki and i don't know what is the fuss about his acting. believe me, there are so many worse acting in other dramas of this season than this one. am i the only one who is liking his Kimutaku-like hair do or not?
have to admit, really loving Naoki x Riko's scenes. they are so sweet together and there are so much chemistry between then.

just unlike Saki's character.
i know that she portraying a girl that after 2 years of dating boy still not sure about her choice. but there is no chemitry between saki and yamaoi at all. even if she is trying to tell us there is no chemistry between these two with her own acting, she is failing to do so. to be honest, i never thought of saki as a good actress because she annoyed and irritated me in every single drama that she is done. she either overacts or just so outside her character. seeing her in different character did not change my view about her too.
another thing, isn't too old for 24-25 something old office worker to be in cheerleading team. it just does not suit her work place image
riko is the highlight of this drama. she is great in what is she is doing her. very natural. as well as her friend Mai. not to mention the sweet shuji
I am already feeling sorry for Kawasaki. poor Tomoya. maybe he should go with Saki's character? :lol :lol :lol (yes, i already watched ep3 too :P )

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Aug 5th, '09, 04:27

I notice Aibu Saki's name having a lot of love/hate attached to it whenever it's mentioned, not just this thread alone. So I'll hop on the bandwagon and say that, I too, sometimes wish that her characters were played by someone else.
I'll admit that she can handles her lines pretty damn well, which may be the reason why she keeps getting lead/good support roles. But other than that, I do find her looking kinda creepy/not-too-aesthetically-pleasing, something to do with her eyes maybe. :fight:

kiwizm

Post by kiwizm » Aug 5th, '09, 15:20

funny how kisses scenes between yoyogi (i forgot the actor name) and Aibu Saki look more natural than yamapi's :o

or maybe i'm a dumbass and japanese really kiss with closed lips lol

rurikomai

Post by rurikomai » Aug 5th, '09, 16:56

@kiwizm: LOL... japanese are not a good kisser
:crazy:

OMG! riku's mad wif kawazaki...poor guy
can someone translate that part?
i wanna know wut kawazaki's friend told him?
and riku got mad :roll

misuzana

Post by misuzana » Aug 5th, '09, 17:27

kiwizm wrote:funny how kisses scenes between yoyogi (i forgot the actor name) and Aibu Saki look more natural than yamapi's :o

or maybe i'm a dumbass and japanese really kiss with closed lips lol
:lol :P thats funny butyour right it looks that way right :whistling: :P

LaLaLaDRAMA

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Aug 6th, '09, 06:39

After reading some of the posts, I feel sorry for Aibu Saki!! I actually think that she is perfect for this role! Strangely enough, I think she is more likable as an evil person. I watched her in Zettai Kareshi and Attention Please, and her playing a bubbly and innocent character annoyed me at times.

Now to Keiko. Keiko is very pretty but am I the only one that thinks she's too lanky?!? Every scene I see her walking, I feel like she will tip over any minute. When I see Yamapi and her together, I feel like he is the younger person. But I do admit they have great chemistry.

After getting past episode 3, I will now be finishing this drama till the very end! This drama sort of have the feel of Long Vacation with the focusing of billboard etc. Maybe same director?

0xDEADBEEF
Netherlands

Post by 0xDEADBEEF » Aug 6th, '09, 09:41

LaLaLaDRAMA wrote:Keiko is very pretty but am I the only one that thinks she's too lanky?!?
Any sane person thinks so, but during the runup to BB there were complaints on the Japanese forums that she was too fat (so she has a double chin when she laughs out loud, big deal), and on 7/2 Keiko announced that she was dieting. Whether she did or not, the jammering stopped.
When I see Yamapi and her together, I feel like he is the younger person.
Google, google, ah! On How not to look old it says, "nothing ages like long hair parted down the middle". So that's why long-haired women end up cutting it at some point.

garcon

Post by garcon » Aug 6th, '09, 11:53

this drama is so boring....the worst yamapi drama

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Aug 7th, '09, 01:04

0xDEADBEEF wrote:Any sane person thinks so, but during the runup to BB there were complaints on the Japanese forums that she was too fat (so she has a double chin when she laughs out loud, big deal), and on 7/2 Keiko announced that she was dieting. Whether she did or not, the jammering stopped.
holy crap! japanese girls think that a skeleton is attractive :scratch:
who cares if she's a little heavier than most girls in japan?
that's just how she is :roll

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Aug 7th, '09, 01:41

miznagase wrote:
0xDEADBEEF wrote:Any sane person thinks so, but during the runup to BB there were complaints on the Japanese forums that she was too fat (so she has a double chin when she laughs out loud, big deal), and on 7/2 Keiko announced that she was dieting. Whether she did or not, the jammering stopped.
Apparently they've been calling her fat for a while. And she can actually meat up some since she's more of an actress than a model. I thought this career change will let her be non-anorexic. That's a similar situation with Anna Tsuchiya. She was too fat as a model, and if she starved herself to be skinny, she'll die (which she almost did) so re-directing her career made her be able to be healthy.

But yeah... I'm sorry.. I can't stand looking at Yamapi's hair... It's just as bad as Hiro's hair. Only certain people can pull off the "curly hair" look, and neither of them can. Besides... why have curly hair if you're gonna sweat it out playing basketball?! >__<

And I'm just caring less and less about Aibu... just since I've seen her in Zettai Kareshi, that just... made not really like her that much. Like a bad first impression, and well, I don't really like her character either (I'm not into cheaters so... yah)

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Aug 7th, '09, 02:24

«minah» wrote:
miznagase wrote:
Apparently they've been calling her fat for a while. And she can actually meat up some since she's more of an actress than a model. I thought this career change will let her be non-anorexic. That's a similar situation with Anna Tsuchiya. She was too fat as a model, and if she starved herself to be skinny, she'll die (which she almost did) so re-directing her career made her be able to be healthy.

But yeah... I'm sorry.. I can't stand looking at Yamapi's hair... It's just as bad as Hiro's hair. Only certain people can pull off the "curly hair" look, and neither of them can. Besides... why have curly hair if you're gonna sweat it out playing basketball?! >__<

And I'm just caring less and less about Aibu... just since I've seen her in Zettai Kareshi, that just... made not really like her that much. Like a bad first impression, and well, I don't really like her character either (I'm not into cheaters so... yah)
i think anna tsuchiya is really skinny right now.
she's a shiseido model, so yea :roll
ugh yamapi's hair is pissing me off too!
what's up with the perms??? i think it all started with matsujun in hana yori dango :lol
aibu saki is getting on my nerves.
the way she smiles is so gross :crazy:

LaLaLaDRAMA

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Aug 7th, '09, 05:43

0xDEADBEEF wrote:
LaLaLaDRAMA wrote:Keiko is very pretty but am I the only one that thinks she's too lanky?!?
Any sane person thinks so, but during the runup to BB there were complaints on the Japanese forums that she was too fat (so she has a double chin when she laughs out loud, big deal), and on 7/2 Keiko announced that she was dieting. Whether she did or not, the jammering stopped.
When I see Yamapi and her together, I feel like he is the younger person.
Google, google, ah! On How not to look old it says, "nothing ages like long hair parted down the middle". So that's why long-haired women end up cutting it at some point.
WHAT?!?!!??! I can't believe she was called fat in some Japanese forums!?! I didn't even notice that she had double chin when she laughs. But that's just insane. Every time I see her I think "if only she gained a few more pounds she would look even prettier."

Also commenting on someone's earlier posts about Yamapi's hair! I didn't mention it because I thought I was the only one bothered by his hair. But honestly.. he does not look right with that fried bird's nest on his head.

0xDEADBEEF
Netherlands

Post by 0xDEADBEEF » Aug 7th, '09, 07:02

LaLaLaDRAMA wrote:I didn't even notice that she had double chin when she laughs.
Here's a smile: Oricon
And a laugh: Sankei MSN
Both taken at the BB press conference.

It's all a matter of taking a photo at the right moment, of course.

(It's obvious why she keeps mentioning the dental clinic she goes to on her blog.)

crazypilovee

Post by crazypilovee » Aug 7th, '09, 09:15

aww how sad, she's not fat! i bet those grls sayin that are jealous cuz they're not that skinny.. haha jk if they're japanese grls they might relaly be that skinny... but hmm even tho she is a tiny bit heavier than most celebrities (maybe 3 kg at most?) i think it's also got to do with her face shape.. i also think her natural mouth shape looks like she's frowning.. anyone else get that impression?...... but yeah it makes her cute/unique that way!

hahaa yamapi's hair's too frizzy/dry looking! but he's still hot :3
three more days for ep 5!!!

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 7th, '09, 11:26

I am just shocked on japanese viewers calling Keiko fat when general average weight on japan streets are not all low. not sure about now but when i was in japan in 2007, girls/women sizes was not different from keiko's present size.

back to topic, i think i am the only one who is liking his hairdo. :P

and yes, there is too much over acting going on with Aibu wether is a good character or bad one. my 1st impression of her since Utahime and never changed after seeing her in more and more dramas.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Aug 7th, '09, 16:13

@ the Keiko piccys
She just happens to have more wrinkles on her face...! Like um... who was that guy in Innocent Love? The KIYOKA guy. When he smiled, he looked like an old man. Besides, when they took those pics of Keiko, they knew exactly what they were doing with them. Which is really horrible to stir up crap like that among viewers. So what, she's suppose to lose weight around her face? Yah.... man if she's fat, I must definitely be a hippo .___. But yeah, Tsuchiya, I heard models from time to time but that's not like her career anymore. A few companies still like her to model for them (yay! And she's suppose to be in that a new movie with Matsuyama Kenichi ^_^)

Yeah, my first impression of Aibu just kinda stuck with me. There are some people who I won't like (because they did so well being that mean *itchy character that I see them like that, like that mean girl from LIFE) but Aibu is just annoying... her character was annoying, and I thought her character from Utahime was too. And aw... I didn't see the token black basketball player in this episode... but they really didn't do much in episode 3 so yeah...

rurikomai

Post by rurikomai » Aug 7th, '09, 17:08

i think those people says keiko fat
they shud wear thick lenses on their reading glass
LOL...

@minah: just so you know, that guy from innocent love happened to have the same surname as keiko...
Kitagawa Yujin

back to topic...
maybe they intendent to let Aibu act that way, the mean b*tchy type... just to annoy the viewers :w00t: :cheers: :lol LOL
uh well... im loving the story much :alcoholic:

Adjanian

Post by Adjanian » Aug 7th, '09, 19:32

I'm really enjoying the dorama, I don't like Yamapi but I am learning to accept him here. I like the girls' roles more, Keiko, Saki, Shihori, they are well-defined characters and I love them...or hate them dependnig on the situarion xD. It's a good drama, good actors and actresses and it's entertaining, what else do people expect?

And Keiko as most japanese girls (including a lot of actresses and idols) has round face, but she is one of the skinniest women I've ever seen so in my opinion the "fat" thing is mostly a way for crazy Yamapi fangirls to discharge their frustration, and the gossip industry takes advantage of that...but I hope she doesn't force herself on diets, she would disappear!!

I watched ep 4 without subs, and I loved it anyways!!! I want to see more!!!!

:cheers:

LaLaLaDRAMA

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Aug 7th, '09, 21:12

0xDEADBEEF wrote:
LaLaLaDRAMA wrote:I didn't even notice that she had double chin when she laughs.
Here's a smile: Oricon
And a laugh: Sankei MSN
Both taken at the BB press conference.

It's all a matter of taking a photo at the right moment, of course.

(It's obvious why she keeps mentioning the dental clinic she goes to on her blog.)
wow, thank you for showing me the proper pics! Anyways, the last pic is just one of those unflattering pics taken from the wrong angle. Judging from her body, I think that she is the type to gain weight on her face and stomach before anything else. The first picture is not bad at all. I think the reason why she looks "fat" is mainly due to her plumpy cheeks; it looks like freshly baked buns from a Japanese Bakery (not intended to be an insult). If they have problems with her, I wonder what the general Japanese media's opinion about actresses like nagasawa masami is? I definitely noticed her double chin in her recent drama (especially crying scenes), and I think she is someone at a perfectly healthy weight.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 7th, '09, 22:35

come to think of it, Aibu Saki is not thinner than keiko and maybe same size or bit bigger. how comes she is not being called fat? :whistling:

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Aug 7th, '09, 23:47

Issy wrote:come to think of it, Aibu Saki is not thinner than keiko and maybe same size or bit bigger. how comes she is not being called fat? :whistling:
Simple...because she doesn't have a wide face and her chin is pointy! There are many many asian women who have wide faces and whilst they may be skinner and skinner than the pointy faced women, they will always give the perception that they are fatter/bigger. Sad I know...but that is just have the dimensions are noticed first..only people who pay more attention will then look at the arm, tummy, etc.

LaLaLaDRAMA wrote:When I see Yamapi and her together, I feel like he is the younger person.
Total agree, Yamapi does look a bit young compared to her...to add on top, even his character is portrayed to be like a kid too!

As for Yamapi's hair, I don't think it is that bad! I have seen maybe 3-4 of his dramas and I would say Code Blue was my fav hair and this is sort of the outgrown version so I don't think it's that drastic!

Endexus

Post by Endexus » Aug 8th, '09, 00:20

im getting used to his hair, i think it looks ok when the other side of the hair is behind the ear or so, hard to explain.

anyway i really must comment on keiko being fat!! as many said this is freaking outrageous, i haven't seen any double chins or anything and her legs are sooo slim, i think shed be even sexier with couple extra pounds!

Onigir1

Post by Onigir1 » Aug 8th, '09, 14:51

I think Yamapi's hair is one of the worst he's had in his entire career, LOL. I like it when it's kind of parted on the side though, not sure if I mean the same thing Endexus was saying. He's still remarkably good-looking anyway.

I find all the deal of Keiko being called fat laughable because she's clearly not. I have to agree that compared to Aibu Saki and because of the reasons already stated, she does look not as thin. But to say fat is just plain crazy, I feel bad for her being pressured to go on a diet because of that, she's a very pretty and healthy looking girl to me.

There's always antis every where when you are popular, not necessarily all Yamapi crazy fans. Yamapi himself was called fat a lot during the Nobuta/Kurosagi period, coincidently the only time when he didn't look too thin to me, like he does now.

Also, I really like Aibu Saki playing this character much more than in other dramas like Zettai Kareshi or Utahime but I never thought her acting was that bad to begin with, just too much on the cutesy side, she's doing fine here in my opinion, I like her, or rather, I love to hate her :lol

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Aug 8th, '09, 20:20

Onigir1 wrote: There's always antis every where when you are popular, not necessarily all Yamapi crazy fans. Yamapi himself was called fat a lot during the Nobuta/Kurosagi period, coincidently the only time when he didn't look too thin to me, like he does now.
Actually, I noticed that he got meaty-er when I saw that drama (Nobuta). Like... he got big all of a sudden, but I think it was more muscles really, and not fat. ( I first saw him in IWGP, he just happened to be in the drama, and when I told my friend I was watching it, she squealed and said "Yamapi is in that!" and was like.... who? But yeah, so watching that, then Stand Up and then Nobuta, I was like, "wow... he's bigger. All grown up!"

@rumikomai

Maybe they're distant relatives and it runs in the family!!! >__> lol

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Aug 8th, '09, 23:16

Endexus wrote:im getting used to his hair, i think it looks ok when the other side of the hair is behind the ear or so, hard to explain.
i'm gradually getting used to yamapi's hair.
i think the worst hairstyle that i've seen him with is the one when he was in the koi no ABO music video...YIKES!!! :crazy:
Endexus wrote:anyway i really must comment on keiko being fat!! as many said this is freaking outrageous, i haven't seen any double chins or anything and her legs are sooo slim, i think shed be even sexier with couple extra pounds!
girls underestimate what guys' perception is of an ideal body size, hence they're more prone to having eating disorders.
and that's a fact. i learned that in my psychology class :D

anyways, i'm looking forward to the next episode.
i wanna see more of the coach topless!!! :P

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Aug 9th, '09, 13:19

I'm really enjoying this drama so far. I actually didn't expect to continue watching after the first episode as it doesn't have any of my favourite actors and I'm not into basketball, but somehow the story is just quite compelling. It does have a Long Vacation feel, and I really like how the story and characters develop each week.

I think Yamapi isn't doing that badly in this show. Probably its just that he seems a little stiff compared to all his other co-stars who all are very natural in their roles (other than the guy who plays Yoyogi who is even more stiff than Yamapi).

Anyway I have to say that Mizobata Junpei is really adorable in this show. I initially thought his character was a bit similar to his role in BOSS, somehow he just seems extra adorable here. Can't wait till Shuji pairs up with Mai.

Looking forward to watching the next episode!

anastassia

Post by anastassia » Aug 10th, '09, 04:29

I can't say how much I LOVE this drama. It wasn't a PERFECT drama but it is a REAL HUMAN DRAMA. What I love most is the character developments of the leads. I can't say so much of Yamapi's acting but i LOVE Keiko's acting. I'm more into acting skills and I have yet to say, she didn't up the level as Aoi Yoi, Shinihora, Fukatsu, Ueno and my fav actress in jdorama. But she is DIFFERENT and UNIQUE. Her expressions, her skills and natural beauty and her charms is very impressive. I'm sick of cutesy and OTT acting or the same beauty, smiles and others cliche that most of Jap actresses shared. I have seen her in MOP but I LOVE her in this. It was a breath of fresh air seeing her and this drama. She is REAL and NATURAL I have to say.

Oh, and don't bother at all about people that calling her as fat. She is not fat AT ALL. She is perfectly healthy and have a nice and sexy long legs. She indeed a real beauty. I even love her teeth and heer smiles.

Now I know I can read her blogs in english make me admire her more since I can see now she is REAL and a HUMAN like we are. She struggle to live like we are. She is full of humanity. She is not sort of celebrity types. She is definitely different.

I love the plot's and the character development but I CAN't STAND Aibu's acting. Its not about the CHARACTER but her ACTING is VERY weak. I love all the characters displays and realism in it. It just her acting is meh.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Aug 10th, '09, 04:44

I really like the pace and direction of the drama. They're setting up the Riko x Naoki pairing up fairly early, or at least building to it. A lot of dramas suffer from leaving it late, then rushing it at the end, so you feel like the pairing, though inevitable, is forced and artificial. The interaction (i.e. flirting) between Keiko and Yamapi is well written and executed. It seems like stuff actual people would say and do.

hateytb

Post by hateytb » Aug 10th, '09, 04:44

IMO, i thought that Aibu's acting is not bad at all, i really enjoy her acting
and also everyone else's actings in this drama

Keiko is especially great though~
i been a fan of her since Sailor Moon~!! xD love that drama

GetsuJin

Post by GetsuJin » Aug 10th, '09, 10:45

Up to episode 4 and I can't stress how much I'm enjoying this drama. I can't wait for ep. 5 to come out!

FArAZ0990

Post by FArAZ0990 » Aug 10th, '09, 12:56

Aw...the ep 5 preview makes me want to watch the next ep!!
:crazy:

rurikomai

Post by rurikomai » Aug 10th, '09, 12:58

i just watched eps5

tru keyhole
:w00t: :w00t:

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Aug 10th, '09, 13:00

Ah! Is that Naoki and Riko? I can't wait to watch ep 5!
Anyway, about Saki Aibu, I actually quite like her in this show (found her terribly annoying in Utahime and Zettai Kareshi). Maybe she fits the bad girl role? I personally think she's acting quite well!

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Aug 10th, '09, 13:30

rurikomai wrote:i just watched eps5

tru keyhole
:w00t: :w00t:
I just glanced at the spoiler..isn't that Naoki & Riko? OMG Can't wait!!! XD

rurikomai

Post by rurikomai » Aug 10th, '09, 14:06

Love Angel wrote:
I just glanced at the spoiler..isn't that Naoki & Riko? OMG Can't wait!!! XD
yup yup yup

:wub: :wub:

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Aug 10th, '09, 15:49

hateytb wrote:IMO, i thought that Aibu's acting is not bad at all, i really enjoy her acting

I've been a fan of hers since PGSM toooo!! I love that song she sings "Sakura Fubuki." That was my drawing song ^_^ And I love that drama (I'm an obsessed fan of Sailor Mooon)

hateytb

Post by hateytb » Aug 10th, '09, 19:18

«minah» wrote:
hateytb wrote:IMO, i thought that Aibu's acting is not bad at all, i really enjoy her acting

I've been a fan of hers since PGSM toooo!! I love that song she sings "Sakura Fubuki." That was my drawing song ^_^ And I love that drama (I'm an obsessed fan of Sailor Mooon)
me too!~ i was so obsessed with it~ xD
i even watch the "Sailor Moon Concert" that the Sailor Moon casts sang in~ xD

I cant resist clicking on the Spoiler~ whoa~ i'm soo excited~ :wub:

Onigir1

Post by Onigir1 » Aug 10th, '09, 21:23

Just watched episode 5! This keeps getting better and better, I seriously can't wait for episode 6, and for the subs to this one too :alcoholic:
That hug was so utterly adorable. And Naoki crying broke my heart a little :cry:

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Aug 11th, '09, 01:58

hateytb wrote:
«minah» wrote:

me too!~ i was so obsessed with it~ xD
i even watch the "Sailor Moon Concert" that the Sailor Moon casts sang in~ xD

I cant resist clicking on the Spoiler~ whoa~ i'm soo excited~ :wub:
OMG me toooo! I did the dance thingy for that "Here We Go, Go!" and my mom laugh at me >___> But yeah! Keiko is awesome!

rurikomai

Post by rurikomai » Aug 11th, '09, 05:17

@hateytb:
that spoiler is soo freaking cute...
i captured the blurred part :lol
Onigir1 wrote:Just watched episode 5! This keeps getting better and better, I seriously can't wait for episode 6, and for the subs to this one too :alcoholic:
That hug was so utterly adorable. And Naoki crying broke my heart a little :cry:
sweet... that hug really is touchy,makes me wanna cry like Naoki did

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Aug 11th, '09, 15:58

I loved episode 5!!
of course, the ending was so cute! i liked that naoki hugged riko first, and then riko hugged back.

i did think it was weird for riko to run to the stadium just becos naoki cried. but i guess it's quite in line with her character.

other bits of episode 5 i liked:

- shuji! so adorable eating his basketball bread. i liked all the parts with shuji and mai. and it was so sweet of him to invite utsu to their house, knowing that mai likes him.
- poor coach kawasaki didn't get any action... twice! lol.
- all the characters are quite well developed. even yoyogi seems to have a conscience?

also noticed that they changed parts of the opening scene. it shows yoyogi and natsuki walking happily together? shuji finally seems to get some playing time, and tries to kiss mai. and more cute scenes of naoki and riko.

:)

hateytb

Post by hateytb » Aug 11th, '09, 17:58

it's funny how i feel okay reading Spoilers for this drama~ xD
it doesnt seem like it's going to ruin anything for me, or maybe i'm just too impatient to wait for the sub to come out, and want to know waht is going to happen now~

TG3

Post by TG3 » Aug 12th, '09, 02:27

Just watched EP 5. I love how well written this drama is. I just hope they don't screw it up in the end! About the ending,
You have a feeling Naoki is kind of reluctant about showing his feelings for Riko because he knows she's his coach's gf. If he went for her, he'd be just like Yoyogi, going after someone else's girl.

I think the coach pushing way too hard, will scare Riko off. And there will probably be some conflict between Naoki and the coach next ep.

zeox

Post by zeox » Aug 12th, '09, 14:14

Just finished watching episode 2 and I can safely say that I'll see this one through to the end. Really liking it so far

Onigir1

Post by Onigir1 » Aug 12th, '09, 17:29

TG3 wrote:Just watched EP 5. I love how well written this drama is. I just hope they don't screw it up in the end! About the ending,
You have a feeling Naoki is kind of reluctant about showing his feelings for Riko because he knows she's his coach's gf. If he went for her, he'd be just like Yoyogi, going after someone else's girl.

I think the coach pushing way too hard, will scare Riko off. And there will probably be some conflict between Naoki and the coach next ep.
That's exactly what I was thinking,
since Naoki not only is such a good guy but actually seems to genuinely like the coach I can't see him doing to him the same thing he's just been through, I guess he's up for very conflicting feelings from now on.

I have the awful feeling thought, that in a drama titled Buzzer Beat that focuses on the idea of making it in the last possible moment... Said Hero on the edge won't get the girl until the very VERY end.
I reeeeally hope they keep this up, I've seen many dramas I was thoroughly enjoying go wrong in the last few episodes, I so hope this is not one of them.

TaroTard

Post by TaroTard » Aug 12th, '09, 23:22

It seems I am a bit behind so I won't read spoilers ^^
I have watched the first 3 eps... I wasn't overly fussed with the first 2 but the 3rd ep showed promise so I will continue with the show. I am a bit fan of Yamapi but I am not loving his hair in this show XD
I usually love Aibu Saki but her character in this show is really not likable. Look forwards to see how the next ep progresses shall watch it as soon as I get a spare min <3

dgenoracle

Post by dgenoracle » Aug 13th, '09, 01:35

I think the show is picking up and that's a good thing :cheers:
I remember watching a Yamapi interview recently that he mentioned that this show is a nod to the Long Vacation style of storytelling... I hope that's a good thing too :P

Anyway IMHO, the director and screenwriters played Yamapi's Naoki very smart in the beginning - your everyday salary man wanting to get a good job and making sure financially able to support Natsuki and possibly marriage. With inferiority complex and low self esteem, he's so like 'nobody' in the background that the Coach, the captain, even Shuji steals the limelight with their colorful and charismatic personality.

After watching ep-5, i really like that the story opens up Naoki's character. He's not one or 2 dimensional 'hero' and depicting him like any other average Joe puts him in a place where we can symphatize with his journey... hopefully more stronger and better person by the end.
Love does make us stronger :wub:

FArAZ0990

Post by FArAZ0990 » Aug 13th, '09, 02:08

dgenoracle wrote:I think the show is picking up and that's a good thing :cheers:
I remember watching a Yamapi interview recently that he mentioned that this show is a nod to the Long Vacation style of storytelling... I hope that's a good thing too :P

Anyway IMHO, the director and screenwriters played Yamapi's Naoki very smart in the beginning - your everyday salary man wanting to get a good job and making sure financially able to support Natsuki and possibly marriage. With inferiority complex and low self esteem, he's so like 'nobody' in the background that the Coach, the captain, even Shuji steals the limelight with their colorful and charismatic personality.

After watching ep-5, i really like that the story opens up Naoki's character. He's not one or 2 dimensional 'hero' and depicting him like any other average Joe puts him in a place where we can symphatize with his journey... hopefully more stronger and better person by the end.
Love does make us stronger :wub:
"Love makes me strong" Thats what the board at the yard says, its like the board in Long Vacation, "Don't Worry Be Happy".
Its kinda similar?

rui89

Post by rui89 » Aug 13th, '09, 04:02

dgenoracle wrote:...He's not one or 2 dimensional 'hero' and depicting him like any other average Joe puts him in a place where we can symphatize with his journey... hopefully more stronger and better person by the end.
Couldn't agree more, especially the average joe part. P-chan is really down to earth in this series i rkn and i'm just loving it :lol

p.s. ending of ep5 was soooo sweeeet =)

GetsuJin

Post by GetsuJin » Aug 13th, '09, 11:50

Couldn't agree more, especially the average joe part. P-chan is really down to earth in this series i rkn and i'm just loving it Laugh

p.s. ending of ep5 was soooo sweeeet =)
+1!!!!!

I really thought that this drama would get better ratings in Japan.

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Aug 14th, '09, 00:27

my impression after watching episode 5: finally, naoki is not acting like a stupid idiot :P
i'm so happy that he dumped that loser!!! :cheers:
i wonder what's gonna happen between him and riko now.
riko seems to like naoki too, so i think the poor coach is gonna be left all by himself :unsure:

haruna_hamasaki

Post by haruna_hamasaki » Aug 14th, '09, 12:10

Just wondering...

Will the ending be a happy scene between Naoki and Riko?

I'm getting with this series because I love both Kitagawa Keiko and Yamapi. <3

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Aug 14th, '09, 15:57

Watched ep 5 subtitled on Viikii and what a nice episode, and I loved the ending.

At the end Naoki hugs Rikot, and says gomen, Riko then hugs him and this time it is more of a "I love you hug", so I just hope the coach gets out of the way, although I think he already suspects that Riko does not love him.

zeox

Post by zeox » Aug 15th, '09, 12:52

I am about to watch Episode 5 and it occurs to me that I hate watching shows that are currently airing. I like to sit down and just absolutely devour every single episode from beginning to end, but now I have to wait a week+ for every episode :crazy:
and of course, it makes it that much harder when it is as good as Buzzer Beat is :cry:

TaroTard

Post by TaroTard » Aug 15th, '09, 14:05

Watched eps 4 and 5 today, starting to properly enjoy it now
The hug at the end of ep 5 was soooooooo cute ^0^ squee

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » Aug 15th, '09, 16:51

somehow i am rooting for shuji and mai.. hehe. :D
i hope to see them two get together..they are so cute and funny.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 16th, '09, 00:59

Is it only me or anyone else can see Shun Oguri at 14 min 20 sec of ep5's opening credit? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

fyxyse_chan

Post by fyxyse_chan » Aug 16th, '09, 01:09

Issy wrote:Is it only me or anyone else can see Shun Oguri at 14 min 20 sec of ep5's opening credit? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
that is not oguri. though i have to admit he does look like oguri in the clip. that is igarashi kei, a superstar basketball professional player in japan. he appeared in buzzer beat special interview with yamapi :D

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 16th, '09, 01:37

fyxyse_chan wrote:
Issy wrote:Is it only me or anyone else can see Shun Oguri at 14 min 20 sec of ep5's opening credit? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
that is not oguri. though i have to admit he does look like oguri in the clip. that is igarashi kei, a superstar basketball professional player in japan. he appeared in buzzer beat special interview with yamapi :D
OH really?????????????
wow, he does look like Oguri in there. my mistake :P

ProtocolSnow

Post by ProtocolSnow » Aug 16th, '09, 03:08

I'm surprised how legitimately good this series is turning out to be. However, I had one small problem with the ending to ep. 5:
It was all quiet when Yamapi was hugging Keiko. Then when she returned the hug, all of a sudden the loud guitar kicked in with the theme song. Completely ruined the moment imo, awful timing for the music :scratch:

menaine

Post by menaine » Aug 16th, '09, 21:31

hi minna, i would like to join with you guys too...

i reaally like this show

i've watched eps5
ooo that hug so sweeettttt, when i saw third eps i though 'sharing i-pod' scene is my fave scene and then on the fifth ... i think i was wrong ,,, that huge beating the 'sharing i-pod' scene... I don't know what happen next,, i hope there will be another more sweet scene ... naoki-riko saikoooo

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Aug 16th, '09, 23:25

ProtocolSnow wrote:I'm surprised how legitimately good this series is turning out to be. However, I had one small problem with the ending to ep. 5:
It was all quiet when Yamapi was hugging Keiko. Then when she returned the hug, all of a sudden the loud guitar kicked in with the theme song. Completely ruined the moment imo, awful timing for the music :scratch:
I just went back and re-watched the ending and the music is playing fairly softly until Naoki and Riko touch chests together. It is quiet until Riko almost shaking her head, and then the music is a lot louder. I don't have a problem with this because their relationship has definitely changed at the moment the music starts playing. Call it a dramatic effect.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 16th, '09, 23:53

ProtocolSnow wrote:I'm surprised how legitimately good this series is turning out to be. However, I had one small problem with the ending to ep. 5:
ah hi guys, >>> ep5
the song was totally fine with me, actually I was worried about their hug in such a place lol *it's too early for their relationship to be discovered* I thought XD
another thing is that I'm really enjoying a lot with mai's character, but her clothes and this solid-hairstyle are making me a bit disappointed :| I thought her style would have changed after ep.2 3 4 but nothing has changed although she cares a lot about her cosmetics!!! :scratch:

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 16th, '09, 23:55

haruna_hamasaki wrote:Just wondering...
Will the ending be a happy scene between Naoki and Riko?
I 99.999% guarantee that XD

rurikomai

Post by rurikomai » Aug 17th, '09, 12:52

XDDD
eps 6 was supper cute