[Discussion] Onsen e ikou / Women of the Onsen

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

[Discussion] Onsen e ikou / Women of the Onsen

Post by awrittensin » Jul 25th, '08, 23:40

I noticed there wasn't a topic for this drama, so I started one.

I'm a huge fan of the Onsen e ikou series, but unfortunately like everyone else except groink, I haven't been lucky enough to find copies of seasons 4 and 5. I did my usual searching of any info for it on the internet today when I saw that starting in September, ai no gekijou will be another Onsen series called "Onsen he GO!" and Kato Takako will be reprising her role as Kaoru. I'm not sure who else will be returning, but I'm really excited about it. It's a shame there aren't any copies of seasons 4 and 5 out there for all the other fans to enjoy.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Jul 26th, '08, 22:24

My local TV station only acquired and subbed the first 3 seasons as well. I doubt they will get 4 and 5 since it's been so many years since the broadcast of season 3.

By the way, where did you find the site for the new upcoming season? I cannot find anything on Google. :O

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Jul 26th, '08, 22:27

There's no official website yet since it's so early, but it was listed on the ai no gekijou Japanese wikipedia page, and I found a few other mentions of it when I googled it. The only information available is that Kato Takako is reprising her role as Kaoru, but other characters might possibly be all new. So who knows? but I'm really looking forward to it. It should run from September to November according to the JP Wikipedia page.

You can't even get seasons 4 and 5 on DVD in Japan, either, so it's a real shame that the only person who has it won't share it will other fans. Pretty selfish if you ask me.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Aug 15th, '08, 17:54

They put up a website for the new season of Onsen he ikou - (actually it's renamed Onsen he GO!)

http://www.tbs.co.jp/program/ainogekijyo_onsengo.html

It will be on Monday-Friday starting September 1st at 1pm.
Cast:

▼出演者
加藤貴子 - Katou Takako (reprising her role as Kaoru)
大鶴義丹- Otsuru Gitan
岡田浩暉 - Okada Kouki
黒田福美 - Kuroda Fukumi
森脇英理子 - Moriwaki Eriko
佐藤佑介 - Satou Yuusuke
瀬戸カトリーヌ - Seto Katherine
宮地眞理子 - Miyachi Mariko
川原麻衣 - Kawahara Mai
For anyone who's interested in seeing seasons 4 & 5 (like I am) and knows how to do Winny or Share, if you google 温泉へ行こう4 (and 5 respectively) you can get some hits with pages telling you the hashes and stuff. I've been trying to figure out Winny and Share but I just can't get it to work, or else I'd download the eps and post them here. Since the new season is starting soon I know lots of people will want to fill in the gaps, as Kaoru is no longer working at Kurahara as she was when Season 3 left off, plus it looks like there are no characters returning for this new season.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Aug 15th, '08, 21:41

Thanks for the update, I was just going to search for new information yesterday. :D But the site has no pictures yet, how disappointing. She's not working at Kurahara? How can that be?! :blink

But I don't think I will be catching up with seasons 4 and 5 since they're 55 episodes each. Strangely, I don't remember watching so many episodes on TV during seasons 1 to 3...
Last edited by Sakuya on Aug 15th, '08, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Aug 15th, '08, 21:45

Thanks for the update, I was just going to search for new information yesterday. Big Smile But the site has no pictures yet, how disappointing. She's not working at Kurahara? How can that be?! Blink
I know, it's disappointing, isn't it? Apparently they couldn't keep filming at the location they used for seasons 1-3 (it was an actual ryokan) so they had to change the story because of it. I'm not exactly sure what happens in seasons 4 and 5 because I didn't want to spoil myself too much in case the blessed day came where I actually WATCHED it, but I do know neither season takes place at Kurahara. And it looks like this one doesn't, either.

I would do just about anything to see seasons 4 and 5 :(

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Aug 15th, '08, 21:48

Woops, I meant that seasons 4 and 5 each had 55 episodes, 55 minutes. I changed it.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Aug 15th, '08, 21:55

Woops, I meant that seasons 4 and 5 each had 55 episodes, 55 minutes. I changed it
Well here are the ep #s for the other seasons:

Season 1: 65 eps
Season 2: 60 eps
Season 3: 54 eps

all about 22 minutes each without commercials.

So seasons 4 and 5 follow that pattern.

This new season starts Sept. 1 and supposedly runs through November, although I haven't confirmed that yet... and since it's on five days a week that would mean over 45 eps, possibly all the way up to 60 something.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Aug 15th, '08, 21:58

awrittensin wrote:This new season starts Sept. 1 and supposedly runs through November, although I haven't confirmed that yet... and since it's on five days a week that would mean over 45 eps, possibly all the way up to 60 something.
So long... I hope somebody will sub this this time. Then I will watch it.

freezspirit

Post by freezspirit » Aug 15th, '08, 22:07

Boy you're all ahead of me, I didn't know there was a 3rd season.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Sep 1st, '08, 02:53

Hi everyone! Onsen he GO!! starts tonight~! I'm really excited. The official website is now up:

http://www.tbs.co.jp/ainogekijyo/onsengo/

I hope everyone will be watching and I'll comment as soon as the episode is over with my thoughts!

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Sep 1st, '08, 03:15

awrittensin wrote:Hi everyone! Onsen he GO!! starts tonight~! I'm really excited. The official website is now up:

http://www.tbs.co.jp/ainogekijyo/onsengo/

I hope everyone will be watching and I'll comment as soon as the episode is over with my thoughts!
Thanks for the heads up. Wow, time sure flies. The official site says the main character is still Kaoru, so this is really a sequel. But what happened to Muto and Kurahara? :crazy:

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Sep 1st, '08, 03:56

Heh. Do you really wanna know what happened to Kurahara and Muto?

Kurahara:

Because the inn they were filming at was shut down so they could no longer film there (or at least that's what i've read on the internet) Women of the Onsen 4 mainly took place at Muto's mother's inn. Kaoru leaves Kurahara for Yukino to take care of. I'm not sure how the series resolves because I haven't seen it personally, this is just info I read from the official site. But apparently in Women of the Onsen 5 Kurahara isn't even in it.
Muto:
Because of some conflict between Kaoru and Muto possibly regarding his mother's inn (I'll have to double check on the EXACT reason) the two get a divorce. Onsen he GO!! involves Kaoru and her new love interest is her high school sweetheart or something like that.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Sep 1st, '08, 04:17

awrittensin wrote:Muto:
Because of some conflict between Kaoru and Muto possibly regarding his mother's inn (I'll have to double check on the EXACT reason) the two get a divorce. Onsen he GO!! involves Kaoru and her new love interest is her high school sweetheart or something like that.
Oh wow, after all those seasons, they split. :O As for the real inn shutting down, lol, so much for the first few seasons where Kurahara was always on the brink of shut down. Maybe the real one got jinxed by the plot and shut down... :|
I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this new series. :cheers:

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Sep 1st, '08, 04:33

Well, I just finished watching the first episode of the new season and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. Every other season had flashbacks to the previous seasons in the first episode, but not this one. I was counting on that to kind of give me a little bit of a clue as to what happened in the fourth and fifth seasons. So apparently somehow Kaoru works for some company and they get hired to become maids at some inn but Kaoru doesn't find that out until she gets there and when she does she keeps saying she doesn't want to work in an inn and tries to run away. The manager is a classmate from high school.

It almost seems like it's an entirely separate show that is just using Kaoru as the main character, kind of like a cheap spin-off or something. The signature music is missing and I can't help but feel disappointed that none of the other characters that I grew to love over time are there - all the new people just look like second-rate replacements.

Also, the acting is TERRIBLE. I mean, in the previous seasons the acting wasn't stellar either but there was always an air of slapstick comedy about it, like it was supposed to be silly, and there were plenty of moments where the acting was great. But this just seemed very over-exaggerated, especially on Kaoru's part.

I mean, I'll still watch it, but I think I just got my hopes up a little too much.... I think it would probably be exponentially better if I would have gotten to see seasons 4 and 5 and maybe then I wouldn't feel so left out and in the dark.

Oh, and for the record, it said there will be 60 episodes.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Sep 1st, '08, 04:47

Aw, that is too bad. :-( Where did you watch it? Did you get a raw somewhere or do you have the channel?

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Sep 1st, '08, 08:15

I was watching it on TBS via Keyhole TV, a streaming application. I think there's a thread on d-addicts about it if you search the forums. Hopefully someone will post a raw though.

Kuraharashizue

Post by Kuraharashizue » Dec 26th, '08, 05:57

I'd happily settle for just being able to see the rest of Season 3. All I've been able to find (subtitled) thus far is the first dozen or so episodes. And the actress who plays Kaoru's mother in the first season is supposed to be back, too, albeit as a different character. *sigh*