Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[Discussion] Pandora - Mikami Hiroshi, Yanagiba Toshiro

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Post Reply
raven_frost
Posts: 423
Joined: Oct 5th, '04, 14:45

[Discussion] Pandora - Mikami Hiroshi, Yanagiba Toshiro

Post by raven_frost » Mar 16th, '08, 12:30

Image

Date: From 6 April 2008, Sundays 10.00 p.m.
Episodes: 8
Station: WOWOW
Cast: Mikami Hiroshi, Yanagiba Toshiro, Konishi Manami, Hirata Mitsuru, Yamamoto Koji, Tanimura Mitsuki, Ono Takehiko, Kunimura Jun

Synopsis: Pandora revolves around a university doctor, played by Mikami Hiroshi, who invents a wonder drug for cancer following 18 years of research. He is initially snubbed by everyone but when they learn that his is a genuine invention, things around him undergo abrupt changes. The drama also depicts the interests and conspiracies of pharmaceutical companies and political circles.
Official Website: http://www.wowow.co.jp/dramaw/pandora/

This is one drama I'm looking forward to. WOWOW dramas don't seem to get lots of attention here.

raven_frost
Posts: 423
Joined: Oct 5th, '04, 14:45

Post by raven_frost » Apr 3rd, '08, 13:17

The press conference for Pandora was held in Tokyo on 14 March. It was attended by Mikami Hiroshi, Yanagiba Toshiro, Konishi Manami, Tanimura Mitsuki and other members of the main cast.

It's been 20 years since Mikami Hiroshi and Yanagiba Toshiro last co-starred together in the first trendy drama, Fuji TV's Kimi no Hitomi o Taiho Suru in 1988. "I'm really happy that we're acting together 20 years later. We're both old folks," Mikami remarked. Yanagiba said, "We have a good relationship. I sent a set of kiritanpo (Akita speciality of mashed rice on skewer sticks) from Akita and received Tokyo confections in return."

Mikami stars as a university physician who gets entangled in various schemes as a result of his discovery of a miracle drug for cancer. Yanagiba stars as a zealous police dective investigating a case surrounding the miracle cure.

Actress Konishi Manami, who plays an ambitious female doctor said, "This is my first role where my character is roguish and intelligent." Tanimura Mitsuki plays a young lady whose childhood cancer recurs and furthermore abandons her life to compensated dating.

The script is written by Inoue Yumiko, known for her works Shiroi Kyoto and 14-sai no Haha.

Photos of the press conference: http://mainichi.jp/enta/geinou/graph/200803/14_4/

raven_frost
Posts: 423
Joined: Oct 5th, '04, 14:45

Post by raven_frost » Apr 4th, '08, 13:44

Image

hey9
Posts: 412
Joined: Jan 18th, '07, 22:30

Post by hey9 » Apr 9th, '08, 01:39

I just saw the first episode raw and was really intrigued, it looks like an interesting story and the music really gets you into the show. I hope someone subs this, and that people don't overlook this drama,

raven_frost
Posts: 423
Joined: Oct 5th, '04, 14:45

Post by raven_frost » Apr 15th, '08, 15:28

I finally managed to catch Ep 1 and from the looks of it, this drama promises to be of a comparable quality to Shiroi Kyoto, another drama scriptwriter Inoue Yumiko was involved with.

Can't wait for Ep 2.

User avatar
bshater
Posts: 256
Joined: Mar 1st, '05, 15:42

Post by bshater » Apr 15th, '08, 16:14

raven_frost wrote:I finally managed to catch Ep 1 and from the looks of it, this drama promises to be of a comparable quality to Shiroi Kyoto, another drama scriptwriter Inoue Yumiko was involved with.

Can't wait for Ep 2.
you're the second person today to have compared Pandora to Shiroi Kyoto, and this is most pleasing to hear. now, where can i find a translator? :scratch:

User avatar
N-chan
Posts: 39
Joined: Apr 16th, '08, 10:31
Location: Singapore

Post by N-chan » Apr 16th, '08, 10:56

I haven't started watching Pandora yet even though i have downloaded the first 2 episodes but it looks promising indeed. The Yosei from ProDai got my vote to watch this drama

raven_frost
Posts: 423
Joined: Oct 5th, '04, 14:45

Post by raven_frost » Apr 16th, '08, 15:40

Thankfully there weren't that many medical terms used in the first episode as compared to Iryu so it was easier to understand. Now that the premise has been set, it'll be interesting to see how the drama explores the "opened pandora box".


Image

Isn't the eradication of cancer mankind's greatest desire?

Mikami Hiroshi as Suzuki Hideki
A physician at Koto University Hospital.
He has devoted himself to the study of an anti-cancer drug for 18 years.
He is divorced from his wife and is viewed as an eccentric at his workplace.
His mother's death from illness 30 years ago gave him impetus.
He risks his life to make the miracle drug he has invented available to the world but ...

hey9
Posts: 412
Joined: Jan 18th, '07, 22:30

Post by hey9 » Apr 17th, '08, 01:54

Can someone tell me what he was doing to that young girl (well, I assumed it was the cancer cure) and what his relationship with her is?

raven_frost
Posts: 423
Joined: Oct 5th, '04, 14:45

Post by raven_frost » Apr 17th, '08, 13:20

hey9 wrote:
Can someone tell me what he was doing to that young girl (well, I assumed it was the cancer cure) and what his relationship with her is?
The girl, Aimi, says she's willing to sleep with him but when Suzuki rejects her flatly, she tries to threaten him to extort money. In the process, she tells him that she has had cancer since she was a kid and that it keeps recurring each time it goes into remission. Aimi has no longer than 6 months to live. This news is god send for Suzuki because his superior had earlier snubbed his request to conduct trials on humans for his anti-cancer cure. So he makes the proposition to her to be his guinea pig and Aimi agrees to try it. The drug seems introduced via an inhalant, and towards the end of Ep 1, she shows signs of recovery ...

User avatar
N-chan
Posts: 39
Joined: Apr 16th, '08, 10:31
Location: Singapore

Post by N-chan » Apr 18th, '08, 06:28

What is the meaning of pandora may i ask ?

hey9
Posts: 412
Joined: Jan 18th, '07, 22:30

Post by hey9 » Apr 18th, '08, 08:38

raven_frost wrote:
hey9 wrote:
Can someone tell me what he was doing to that young girl (well, I assumed it was the cancer cure) and what his relationship with her is?
The girl, Aimi, says she's willing to sleep with him but when Suzuki rejects her flatly, she tries to threaten him to extort money. In the process, she tells him that she has had cancer since she was a kid and that it keeps recurring each time it goes into remission. Aimi has no longer than 6 months to live. This news is god send for Suzuki because his superior had earlier snubbed his request to conduct trials on humans for his anti-cancer cure. So he makes the proposition to her to be his guinea pig and Aimi agrees to try it. The drug seems introduced via an inhalant, and towards the end of Ep 1, she shows signs of recovery ...
ah, thanks for clearing that up for me. i thought she was his daughter at first, and then i was wondering why she was coming onto him lol :whistling:
@N-chan: I think it's referring to Pandora's Box. It's an ancient myth about a box that if you open it, all kinds of bad stuff will come out of it...or something like that lol.
Last edited by hey9 on Apr 18th, '08, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

laifalove
Posts: 40
Joined: Nov 11th, '07, 00:18

Post by laifalove » Apr 18th, '08, 16:45

One of the stories behind Pandora's Box is that it was given to a woman in a world where everyone was happy and there were no problems whatsoever. What was contained in that box was sorrow, hardship, death, loss, etc. The woman's curiosity got the better of her one day, and she opened the box and released all the problems on the world, which is how things came to be today.

Anyone planning on subbing this drama possibly (nobody's listed as a subber on the fansub map...)? I don't understand Japanese and reading Chinese subs'll take me forever because I'd have to pause it every few seconds to make sure I understood.

User avatar
N-chan
Posts: 39
Joined: Apr 16th, '08, 10:31
Location: Singapore

Post by N-chan » Apr 19th, '08, 12:38

I hope Pandora get subbed either hard or softsub i don't really mind at all :)

MisterX
Posts: 106
Joined: Dec 11th, '07, 10:51

Post by MisterX » Apr 19th, '08, 20:42

Ep. 2 is even better. Monster quality here. That scene with Otaguro in the restaurant + Sayoko looking at the PC.... wow. Perfect editing.

MisterX
Posts: 106
Joined: Dec 11th, '07, 10:51

Post by MisterX » Apr 19th, '08, 20:48

laifalove wrote:One of the stories behind Pandora's Box is that it was given to a woman in a world where everyone was happy and there were no problems whatsoever. What was contained in that box was sorrow, hardship, death, loss, etc. The woman's curiosity got the better of her one day, and she opened the box and released all the problems on the world, which is how things came to be today.

Anyone planning on subbing this drama possibly (nobody's listed as a subber on the fansub map...)? I don't understand Japanese and reading Chinese subs'll take me forever because I'd have to pause it every few seconds to make sure I understood.
Said it elsewhere already, but when this is over if there's no one else tackling subs, I'd be willing to do it. Only deal with finished product so just a little patience (it's just 8 episodes, still 6 to go ^^). Will throw it in the middle with the Shin Don subs so maybe only one ep per week but it'll get done eventually.

User avatar
bshater
Posts: 256
Joined: Mar 1st, '05, 15:42

Post by bshater » Apr 19th, '08, 21:21

@X: as long as we get the subs, i don't mind the wait. thanks again for taking up another project.

laifalove
Posts: 40
Joined: Nov 11th, '07, 00:18

Post by laifalove » Apr 19th, '08, 23:28

MisterX wrote:Said it elsewhere already, but when this is over if there's no one else tackling subs, I'd be willing to do it. Only deal with finished product so just a little patience (it's just 8 episodes, still 6 to go ^^). Will throw it in the middle with the Shin Don subs so maybe only one ep per week but it'll get done eventually.
Sorry but I don't frequent the forums (or other drama forums) too often, which is why I didn't know that you were interested in possibly subbing it. I'm willing to wait, thanks!

User avatar
drama-queen
Posts: 15
Joined: Jan 21st, '08, 14:29
Location: Tokyo

Post by drama-queen » Apr 20th, '08, 14:07

MisterX wrote: Said it elsewhere already, but when this is over if there's no one else tackling subs, I'd be willing to do it. Only deal with finished product so just a little patience (it's just 8 episodes, still 6 to go ^^). Will throw it in the middle with the Shin Don subs so maybe only one ep per week but it'll get done eventually.
That would be fantastic. :cheers:
Quick question: would you hardsub or softsub? If soft, I'll download the RAWs as they become available, if hard, I'll wait for your release :thumleft:

Cheers!
:alcoholic:
G.

User avatar
bshater
Posts: 256
Joined: Mar 1st, '05, 15:42

Post by bshater » Apr 20th, '08, 15:07

@drama: Mister X will be softsubbing i l believe.

User avatar
drama-queen
Posts: 15
Joined: Jan 21st, '08, 14:29
Location: Tokyo

Post by drama-queen » Apr 20th, '08, 15:09

bshater wrote:@drama: Mister X will be softsubbing i l believe.
Great news, thanks! I much prefer soft subs so I can watch the series again with no subs if I feel like I can understand enough :)

MisterX
Posts: 106
Joined: Dec 11th, '07, 10:51

Post by MisterX » Apr 20th, '08, 15:59

Yeah softsubs. So get all your 740 or 1280 rips first (should be the same). Won't upload anything but subs.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sep 30th, '04, 03:08
Location: Germany

Post by WroW » Apr 20th, '08, 16:06

MisterX wrote:Yeah softsubs. So get all your 740 or 1280 rips first (should be the same). Won't upload anything but subs.
Cool thanks. Best jdrama subbing news of the year :roll

hey9
Posts: 412
Joined: Jan 18th, '07, 22:30

Post by hey9 » Apr 21st, '08, 01:27

Awesome, MisterX. Don't worry too much about how long it takes you.

I wonder how the ratings are for this? I hope it doesn't go down the Ashita no Kita Yoshio route -_-

User avatar
N-chan
Posts: 39
Joined: Apr 16th, '08, 10:31
Location: Singapore

Post by N-chan » Apr 21st, '08, 05:48

Me too ... I am also interested in how's the rating Pandora doing so far as well :)

MisterX
Posts: 106
Joined: Dec 11th, '07, 10:51

Post by MisterX » Apr 21st, '08, 08:30

Pay Tv, so ratings won't tell much (if it's not simple pay tv but PPV they'll worry about buyrates, I guess).

User avatar
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1825
Joined: Oct 19th, '04, 02:22
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 21st, '08, 19:46

MisterX wrote:Yeah softsubs. So get all your 740 or 1280 rips first (should be the same). Won't upload anything but subs.
This is great news~!! I'll start downloading the 740x396 version now and leave it aside until the drama is finished before you start subbing.

I'm glad you offered to sub this because the plot is really interesting and best thing is that this drama will be good because of the story and not because of the casting.

And since you won't be subbing this as it airs, it gives me time to concentrate on the other dramas that I'm watching this season.

Between, thanks for offering to soft sub "Pandora"!

User avatar
scarlett0512
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 138
Joined: Dec 13th, '05, 06:13

Post by scarlett0512 » May 4th, '08, 10:56

Hi,

This message is partially for MisterX and the rest for everyone else.

I have been trying to send a PM to MisterX asking him if he would be interested in working with BON on this project; we're also interested. I have been trying to send the message for two weeks now ( :faint: ) but it's still in my outbox instead of the sentbox.

Since I haven't been able to reach him, I thought that I would kill two birds with one stone and announce that BON will be releasing both soft and hardsubs. It would be great if MisterX could join us. The more we are the better. :wub:

User avatar
N-chan
Posts: 39
Joined: Apr 16th, '08, 10:31
Location: Singapore

Post by N-chan » May 4th, '08, 14:07

Ah, good to hear someone is interested in subbing Pandora :)

User avatar
bshater
Posts: 256
Joined: Mar 1st, '05, 15:42

Post by bshater » May 4th, '08, 15:25

scarlett0512 wrote:Hi,

This message is partially for MisterX and the rest for everyone else.

I have been trying to send a PM to MisterX asking him if he would be interested in working with BON on this project; we're also interested. I have been trying to send the message for two weeks now ( :faint: ) but it's still in my outbox instead of the sentbox.

Since I haven't been able to reach him, I thought that I would kill two birds with one stone and announce that BON will be releasing both soft and hardsubs. It would be great if MisterX could join us. The more we are the better. :wub:
awesome, thanks for the news BON. :thumleft: anyway, if my memory serves me right, i believe MisterX is watching the raws with korean subtitles. perhaps X could provide you guys with that for reference which would make the subbing process easier. it'd be great if you guys work together with X for this project. X's reviews for the 4 episodes that he has seen were very favorable, so im really excited about this.

MisterX
Posts: 106
Joined: Dec 11th, '07, 10:51

Post by MisterX » May 4th, '08, 17:54

I now realize I had two PMs... used to the pops-up on other forums so caught me off guard. My apologies.

You have someone translating this already? Or do you need someone? I was going to upload them all at once but if you want to start I can work on Ep. 1 whenever I have time. Already completed Ep. 3 and was working on 4 (normal people would start from 1, I guess :alcoholic: )

User avatar
scarlett0512
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 138
Joined: Dec 13th, '05, 06:13

Post by scarlett0512 » May 4th, '08, 18:29

It's good that I posted here. :lol: I should have done it a long time ago.

We have three translators, but no one has started translating yet. We decided today which episodes each translator would do, but it's great that you have already translated 1+ episodes!!! :cheers:

I'll send another PM so that we can communicate better. :D

MisterX
Posts: 106
Joined: Dec 11th, '07, 10:51

Post by MisterX » May 4th, '08, 18:42

OK then.

User avatar
drama-queen
Posts: 15
Joined: Jan 21st, '08, 14:29
Location: Tokyo

Post by drama-queen » Jun 11th, '08, 00:56

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any progress update on this subbing :) I'm dying to watch the series :D

DQ

Kazuya_
Posts: 141
Joined: Jun 30th, '07, 10:32
Contact:

Post by Kazuya_ » Jun 11th, '08, 06:36

drama-queen wrote:
I was wondering if there is any progress update on this subbing :) I'm dying to watch the series :D

DQ
http://fansub.d-addicts.com/B.O.N_FunSubs

User avatar
drama-queen
Posts: 15
Joined: Jan 21st, '08, 14:29
Location: Tokyo

Post by drama-queen » Jun 11th, '08, 09:48

Fantastic, thanks! I didn't know where to find the info :)

raven_frost
Posts: 423
Joined: Oct 5th, '04, 14:45

Post by raven_frost » Jun 22nd, '08, 07:59

I've finally had time to continue watching this. I find Mikami Hiroshi's facial expressions rather disconcerting but Ep3 was very interesting.
It's ironic how Haruo, the medical journalist, privately worries that the invention of a miracle cancer drug will unleash conflict yet ends up being the one who consciously writes an article that pushes knowledge of the drug which is still on clinical trial into the public realm.
Each episode covers one aspect of the evils released when the Pandora box was opened. Ep4 - All hell breaks lose.

raven_frost
Posts: 423
Joined: Oct 5th, '04, 14:45

Post by raven_frost » Jul 19th, '08, 08:13


User avatar
drama-queen
Posts: 15
Joined: Jan 21st, '08, 14:29
Location: Tokyo

Post by drama-queen » Nov 30th, '08, 02:18

Does anyone know what the deal is with the subbing of this series? It was broadcasted over 6 months ago, but the B.O.N. subs have been in "Final QC " stage for about 5 months... :cry:
Any other sources of subs anywhere?

DQ

User avatar
bshater
Posts: 256
Joined: Mar 1st, '05, 15:42

Post by bshater » Nov 30th, '08, 02:55

drama-queen wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with the subbing of this series? It was broadcasted over 6 months ago, but the B.O.N. subs have been in "Final QC " stage for about 5 months... :cry:
Any other sources of subs anywhere?

DQ
i do hope they will release it sometime soon. i wonder what the problem could possibly be to have held them back this long.

User avatar
doggieusa
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 165
Joined: Oct 26th, '06, 16:49
Location: CALIFORNIA, USA

Post by doggieusa » Feb 5th, '09, 08:32

drama-queen wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with the subbing of this series? It was broadcasted over 6 months ago, but the B.O.N. subs have been in "Final QC " stage for about 5 months... :cry:
Any other sources of subs anywhere?

DQ
Please accept our apologies. We lost contact with the project leader for this series so we are collecting the sub files from different persons. All but one episode have been translated already. They are now in different subbing stages. We'll release Episode 1 softsubs soon after some spot translation. The hardsubs version will also be released but without the karaoke/SFX feature. Thanks for your patience. I've heard and read a lot of good comments for this drama.

User avatar
drama-queen
Posts: 15
Joined: Jan 21st, '08, 14:29
Location: Tokyo

Post by drama-queen » Feb 5th, '09, 08:35

Hi,

No need to apologise! Fansubbing is voluntary :)

Thanks for the update, it's good to know that things are still moving. We'll be patient!

DQ

User avatar
bshater
Posts: 256
Joined: Mar 1st, '05, 15:42

Post by bshater » Feb 5th, '09, 13:43

thanks for the update doggieusa, and thank you for continuing this project.

User avatar
lollercopter
Posts: 215
Joined: Sep 13th, '08, 08:33

Post by lollercopter » Oct 6th, '09, 18:17

Episode 6 has something very amusing in it. The narrator talks about how medicine has often been used as a tool of war by governments, and Nazi Germany is used as an example, instead of Imperial Japan! The medical experiments conducted in China made the Nazis look like saints in comparison. Since it's a Japanese show for Japanese viewers, it's very strange that Imperial Japan is not mentioned. Or maybe that's exactly the reason why it isn't mentioned...

raven_frost
Posts: 423
Joined: Oct 5th, '04, 14:45

Post by raven_frost » Mar 20th, '10, 04:48

WOWOW is producing a sequel to Pandora which revolves around the same concept but with a different theme. Pandora 2 ~ Kiga Retto. This time is is about an impending food crisis and the invention of a genetically modified miracle crop.

http://www.wowow.co.jp/dramaw/pandora2/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests