[Discussion] ROOKIES

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
akiko-chico

Re: Hiratsuka Taira

Post by akiko-chico » Jul 21st, '08, 05:36

Oh my :shocked: he looks hot in the top pic, and a total nerd in Rookies haha :lol Dang he looks so different ...

samanthapoop wrote:Hey guys, hope this wasnt posted before,

guess who..

tada!

the funny dude who cracks me up all the time. HAHA! he looked hot in the first pic. shucks. or maybe wiki made a mistake?

source:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kiritani_Kenta[/img]

Salz

Post by Salz » Jul 21st, '08, 05:59

he is hawt^^
u should c him in Crows Zero and One Pound Gospel

darynrose

Post by darynrose » Jul 21st, '08, 06:03

He was?! I should pay more attention to others than SHun... XD

Salz

Post by Salz » Jul 21st, '08, 07:02

yeah beside Shun there plenty of hotties in the movie too :wub:
though i also focus too much on Shun and Yamada XD
he is one of Yamada friend which sick...
he so cool in the movie :lol

leadfreaky

Post by leadfreaky » Jul 21st, '08, 18:08

He really looks hot!*__*

though at first I thought it's Sato Takeru, the rasta guy!^^ he looks kinda similar~

nikogaku

Post by nikogaku » Jul 26th, '08, 12:15

The final episode ended about 15 minutes ago. It was awesome. I won't spoil of course but just to let everyone know that...

There will be a drama special later this year and ROOKIES movie out next year. :cheers:

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 26th, '08, 12:21

Really? **** i forgot watching it. but danm really????

darynrose

Post by darynrose » Jul 26th, '08, 12:25

Watched the finale too, XD .... awesome.... :wub:

nikogaku

Post by nikogaku » Jul 26th, '08, 12:26

Yup. It was announced right after the episode ended and is confirmed on the official website - the part that says "映画化決定!". I'm sure the news will make it to Japanese newspapers on Sunday. :D

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 26th, '08, 12:31

i hope so finaly a drama that i love gets an Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rori

Post by Rori » Jul 26th, '08, 12:40

LOL. Totally forget it's Saturday, will have to grab the torrent.

But OH MY GOD, SP and Movie?! Damnit, I'm happy. :wub:

Still more ROOKIES to look forward to. :cheers:

Hentaibetsubara

Post by Hentaibetsubara » Jul 26th, '08, 12:49

woow. good news!!!!! thank you!!!
but they will change the actors for the movie, won't they (like in koizora and sunadokei)? i like them all so much :cry:

I watched today parts of the episode by accident. I don`t have an television in my room so I couldn't watch it. but i wanted to wait for the subs anyway since i don't understand japanese.
At this time i was at the supermarket and I was standing in front of the cashier when I looked at the television behind him showing rookies. hehe, i couldn't stop looking at the tv....
i will miss rookies :cry:

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 26th, '08, 12:52

if it's connected to the drama probably not. besides it's announced after the episode ended so i don't think it will change cast.

Hentaibetsubara

Post by Hentaibetsubara » Jul 26th, '08, 12:53

TsubasaDragon wrote:if it's connected to the drama probably not. besides it's announced after the episode ended so i don't think it will change cast.
yattaaaa. thank you. I hope you are right :-)

nikogaku

Post by nikogaku » Jul 26th, '08, 13:03

I'm almost sure that it'll be with the same cast too. Some of the cast members were at the Yahoo Live Talk and were jokingly saying that they want this to go on for 10 years. Kiritani Kenta (Hiracchi) said that he'll be 38 by then. :lol

marthapido

Post by marthapido » Jul 26th, '08, 13:30

Watched the final episode too!!!
I'm so happy that there'll be SP during autumn n Movie next spring..Really can't wait~~
:D :wub:

Elien

Post by Elien » Jul 27th, '08, 10:02

After what I´ve read here I couldn´t wait for subs and watched the last two episodes. It was soooo good :wub: I´m finally able to remember all their names :mrgreen: So happy for SP :cheers:

There is World Academical Baseball Championship in my country right now and this evening Japan will face USA in the final. I´ve ben to all Japan´s games and going today as well. Rookies and this event made me love baseball so much more then before. Well, the players here are not so good looking as Nikogaku, but I have one favourite :P Hope that they will win today, still have to get a few more signature and photos from them :mrgreen:

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 27th, '08, 18:35

This drama gets my vote for the best drama of this season. I probably have a thing for sports dramas, but I didn't expect this one to be a cling-to-the-edge-of-my-seat for almost every episode!
Simply awesome man. Can't wait to see the remaining episodes, SP and movie!
Last edited by chokubi on Jul 27th, '08, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 27th, '08, 18:40

Me neither i loved the ending. really it's that good!. now to catch up with the subs.

Elien

Post by Elien » Jul 27th, '08, 22:30

Just letting you know that Japan lost in 13th inning 0:1. It was tough battle and everyone were supporting Japan :P The guys were very nice and happy even when they lost. I got signatures from all of them and some nice photos. Now I can tell that catcher is the moodmaker cause both were as crazy as Wakana XD Must add that one of them was also good loking but not so good as Wakana is :D
Nikogaku needs to get more players, two or three could do. There were 22 players here and some of them didn´t even play but it´s a good thing to have somebody to get you drink, nee? Just kidding :whistling: Hope there will be some new characters in the SP and the movie, more ikemen yakyu senshu :lol

Rori

Post by Rori » Aug 1st, '08, 21:30

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Ahhhh~ The Finale is just too good to put into words right now. I've only just finished watching it, so I need to calm down a bit. xD;

Dozen things running through my head after watching it. Some being some questions.

Why did Kawato have to stand outside the stadium and wasn't allowed in?
Why the heck' did Kawato leave the school near the end?
So Aniya can carry on playing Baseball now?

Subs of course will help me understand all of this when they come.
But, seriously. Everything in this episode was done perfectly. I'd say I was holding my breath through the whole hour and a half but that's pretty impossible to do - but I was damn close to it!
I was really happy for Mikoshiba when he hit the ball at the end; you know him - he wasn't too great at Baseball in the first place and then you goes and pulls that. Whenever it got serious and someone was about to hit the ball I think I was about to fall off my seat in anticipation.

I could've cried for Aniya through the whole of this. No matter how much pain he was in he couldn't bear to stop.
Anyone know the ratings for the Finale? I hope it was good! It seriously deserves a high rating.

Ending was just beautiful. Cried then. :sweat:

ROOKIES is by far one of the best Jdrama I've ever watched and for last season?

ROOKIES > Last Friends > Gokusen 3 > whatever else aired.

--

I'm so glad they've decided to continue it with both a SP and Movie.
End made me hella' excited when it finished with the camera pointing towards the back of a man holding a baseball.
Can't wait for more ROOKIES goodness! :wub:

edit -- nevermind, I got the rating! 19.5 from the dramawiki page

That's just as good progress that, that LF series had. ROOKIES started out with 12.2%! Great job, ROOKIES. <3~

lynchmob72

Post by lynchmob72 » Aug 1st, '08, 21:57

I really like the drama. I hope the movie is a little bit better though. I have to admit, i am a bit tired of seeing these teen age high school bad ass kids kicking desks all the time. They always seem to get beat up anyway.

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Aug 2nd, '08, 05:01

is it me Or does TBS intend to Make Movies of their drama's more often?

nikogaku

Post by nikogaku » Aug 2nd, '08, 10:19

Rori wrote:edit -- nevermind, I got the rating! 19.5 from the dramawiki page

That's just as good progress that, that LF series had. ROOKIES started out with 12.2%! Great job, ROOKIES. <3~
The highest ratings point throughout the last episode of ROOKIES was 25.4%, as reported in Sankei Sports here. It was at 8:48 p.m. Japan time, around the last 12 minutes of the episode. It was a record high for the past 16 years for programs shown on TBS at that time slot (Saturday, 8 p.m.).

By way of comparison, Last Friends' highest ratings point for the last episode was 25.9%. But I still say that I'm A LOT MORE proud of our Nikogaku boys. :P

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Aug 2nd, '08, 10:24

Go NikoGaku GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I had to do it.

Rori

Post by Rori » Aug 2nd, '08, 22:18

nikogaku wrote:
Rori wrote:edit -- nevermind, I got the rating! 19.5 from the dramawiki page

The highest ratings point throughout the last episode of ROOKIES was 25.4%, as reported in Sankei Sports here. It was at 8:48 p.m. Japan time, around the last 12 minutes of the episode. It was a record high for the past 16 years for programs shown on TBS at that time slot (Saturday, 8 p.m.).

By way of comparison, Last Friends' highest ratings point for the last episode was 25.9%. But I still say that I'm A LOT MORE proud of our Nikogaku boys. :P
Indeed. I'm very glad for ROOKIES. More so than Last Friends.

When I was comparing, though, I was talking about the progress. How LF started out low just like ROOKIES yet both ended on a high rating. :D LF did better than ROOKIES, but hey! at least ROOKIES didn't have to sacrifice the main story just to keep the ratings high!

akiko-chico

Post by akiko-chico » Aug 3rd, '08, 05:54

I haven't watched the ending yet, but from the sounds of it it must be good! I am excited. Can't wait for the subbed version to be released :cheers:

nikogaku

Post by nikogaku » Aug 4th, '08, 06:31

Rori wrote:LF did better than ROOKIES, but hey! at least ROOKIES didn't have to sacrifice the main story just to keep the ratings high!
LOL so true! :roll
I think something that a lot of ROOKIES fan liked about the drama and how series ended was the sense of realism. That no matter how hard the Nikogaku boys (and Kawato) try, they can never erase what they've done in the past, how the past kept coming back to weigh them down and how they'll always be associated with THAT incident.

I also like how the drama portrayed the boys' realization of the consequence of what they've done - from tainting the school's glorious history of going to Koshien and also how their senpais were affected too. I still get teary-eyed thinking back of the scene at the rooftop where they apologised to the third year students and allowed themselves to be beaten up. But maybe that's just me being emo. :P
I do wonder if there's any truth to the rumour of Ueno Juri being unhappy on how LF became Sousuke-focused but that's a subject matter for another thread. ^^

polarmi

Post by polarmi » Aug 4th, '08, 07:35

at first i wanna wait for the subs,but its killing me..so i d/l .all i need is to wait for a couple hours..btw,ROOKIES is the best jdrama i've ever watch.

Hentaibetsubara

Post by Hentaibetsubara » Aug 4th, '08, 12:09

polarmi wrote:at first i wanna wait for the subs,but its killing me..so i d/l .all i need is to wait for a couple hours..btw,ROOKIES is the best jdrama i've ever watch.
wah. you are so strong. i couldn't resist watching it without subs. Now I've seen everything without knowing anything :lol
but it is a drama i can enjoy without understanding anything. It's really one of the best dramas in my eyes (okay, i haven't seen many dramas until now, but i really, really like this one).

junkie

Post by junkie » Aug 25th, '08, 05:10

have they announced when the SP or movie will be? i just finished the last episode (without understanding anything lol) and the very very last part made me curious. haha.

oh and...
what was that problem kawato had in episode 10 and why did he have to stand outside of the arena for the megurogawa game? and why did he have to leave the school for a while? is he really back this time?
haha! sorry for asking a lot of questions, my japanese isnt good at all so i couldnt understand most of it...[/code]

Mirokujin

Post by Mirokujin » Sep 21st, '08, 05:20

I'm looking forward to the TV SP. Anybody knows when will it be aired?

VerusMaya II

Post by VerusMaya II » Sep 21st, '08, 09:12

junkie wrote:
what was that problem kawato had in episode 10 and why did he have to stand outside of the arena for the megurogawa game? and why did he have to leave the school for a while? is he really back this time?
I think the board took the rumor of him being a yakuza coach seriously, and had him temporarily suspended until the next month? ...and if the team lost the next match, then they'd be banned from playing for another year. (Kind of a jerkish thing to do!) It was unclear, lots of talking in circles. If someone has a better explanation by all means go ahead.

They said he had to re-take his teaching exam, so I think his "special permission" for being allowed on the bench for the remainder of the game was a deal that he must quit being a teacher. I'm pretty sure he's back for good, otherwise the special and movie just wouldn't be the same!

bex

Post by bex » Sep 28th, '08, 12:13

I just finished watching the series, and one thing kinda bothered me at the end. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but...
Shouldn't Shingo have been the first batter at the top of the 9th inning? At the end of the 8th Aniya's hit lead to a triple play, right? He was batting 9th so Shingo would have been next. Which means Shingo would have been first up in the 9th. But he wasn't - they started with Sekikawa (Sekikawa got on base, Imaoka and Hiratsuka struck out, then both Yufune and Okada got on base). Did I miss something?

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Sep 29th, '08, 15:09

I like this Dorama very much
It was very funny and has a little bit of Gokusen but is complete different and this is what I like about this Dorama

and now I can't await the special and the movie

Jon Snow

Post by Jon Snow » Sep 30th, '08, 01:42

I saw a CM on TBS, the special will be on air october 4th.
But maybe it's something else :s

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Sep 30th, '08, 09:20

no, it's right
the special will be air on 4th October (I saw it on the official HP)
=> 『ROOKIES スペシャル』10月4日 (土) よる 6:30 放送!
=> "Rookies Special" 4.10. 18:30

akiko-chico

Post by akiko-chico » Oct 2nd, '08, 01:40

Finally had the chance to watch the final episode and I just LOVED IT!! It was such a nice ending. Such a good drama first sports drama I've watched and it was awesome, I highly recommend! Thank you subbers :cheers: :heart:

Yoshiko

Post by Yoshiko » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:18

I really enjoyed this drama. Many cool & funny boys and really interested theme drama. Maybe little bit of Gokusen but this is sport drama and I really liked sport drama like H2, TOUCH!, Pride, Engine.
Especially liked Shinji (Shirota Yuu) and Ichihara Hayato :wub: but all boys is great, all characters. So now We waiting for MOVIE :w00t: YAH....

Orbity

Post by Orbity » Oct 4th, '08, 08:00

Just finished watching a few of the cast members on a TBS Talk Show. Was a bit of fun. Looking forward to tonight.

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Oct 4th, '08, 09:17

I couldn't watch that show because it was too early (8:30am in Germany)
I hope someone ripped that show and will upload it ._.
and I think I can't watch the Sp, too because of the damn streams (they don't work since yesterday afternoon)
I don't want to watch that on keyhole TV >_<

Edit:
ahh, the special disappoint me
it switchs between Mikoshiba picking up baseballs (it says March 2009 when they show him - maybe the date of the movie?) and remember what happend and the szenes of the series
I hope there will be something else than that and the special won't be the "whole Dorama in two hours"

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 5th, '08, 14:16

Havent been this disappointed for a long while... the sp... AH me and my friends begged for atleast something new in the end, but nothing came.. Crap, that was pure waste of time.

Rori

Post by Rori » Oct 6th, '08, 06:23

Kind of surprised seeing the ROOKIES SP up in the torrents section but judging by the spoilers... is it worth it?
If it's just a recap, I won't bother.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Oct 7th, '08, 19:08

So the special is just a recap of the series with no new footage at all? What a disappointment! I was expecting a continuation of the series...

I guess I'll be passing.

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Oct 8th, '08, 00:43

a very little few new szenes are in it, but they are only Mikoshiba remember all the things (and Aniya appears, too but only for a moment)
and when Mikoshiba is showing a date appears: "March 2009"
I think this will maybe the time for the movie
and something else...the Special ends like the Series
but I don't know why they did such a special, it is only useful for those who haven't seen the Dorama
I think they had show this one when the Movie will be on air

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Oct 9th, '08, 17:53

Ryuuta wrote:but I don't know why they did such a special, it is only useful for those who haven't seen the Dorama
I think they had show this one when the Movie will be on air
Thanks for the info. And yeah, I agree. It seems so pointless to do a recap so shortly after the drama ended. If anything it should be aired a few days before the movie is released, in order to maximize the movie-going audience. Plus, by March, even people who did watch the entire series would be more inclined to see a recap than they would be now.

Apparently the ratings for the SP were 10%. That's worse than any of the episodes, and basically half of what the finale was. So I was really surprised at first. But upon finding out that it was a recap, not so much.

nikogaku

Post by nikogaku » Oct 15th, '08, 01:45

I know a lot of people are disappointed with the SP but...
The last 2-3 minutes made the SP worth watching. Especially when Sekikawa accidentally elbowed Shinjo on his face during a fight among the boys and all of them just froze for like 3 seconds for fear of the WRATH OF SHINJO! :lol Also, they talked about Akahoshi, a character which appeared in the manga but not the drama series. I think we'll be seeing him in the movie. I wouldn't mind Hamanaka appearing in the movie too. He's Hiracchi's kouhai from junior high school.

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Oct 15th, '08, 09:58

a good thing happend
the movie site has opened :cheers:
http://rookies-movie.jp/

of course there isn't much, or better: nothing (only "2009 Roadshow")

but this will give us hope that there will be some information in the near future :thumright:

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Nov 2nd, '08, 15:01

last week and today I watched an animal show at TBS where Nakao-kun was guest
last week he had black hair and today he had his Rookies hair colour (the brown part on top)

maybe it's a sign that the filming of the movie will start soon (or maybe it started already)

and by the way.....Nakao-kun's body is very sugoi >___<

lynchmob72

Post by lynchmob72 » Nov 2nd, '08, 15:50

Japanese producers seem to love doing this. They recap and or try to add a little more to the original storyline, without adding more storyline. I guess thats just how it is though. :unsure:

nikogaku

Post by nikogaku » Dec 3rd, '08, 04:35

New cast members have been announced for the ROOKIES movie. Yamamoto Yusuke will play the character Akaboshi while Ishida Takuyawill play the character Hamanaka. Both Akaboshi and Hamanaka are in the manga but were not featured in the drama series. The movie will be screened in cinemas in Japan starting 30th May 2009.

Source: Nikkan Sports

Awesome news! :D

Salz

Post by Salz » Dec 3rd, '08, 05:22

this is great news^^
Yusuke gonna be in the movie<33

mujiri

Post by mujiri » Dec 28th, '08, 03:48

just finished Rookies this week. really like it a lot.
was extremely touching and inspirational to me. lol my wife was scolding why can't ppl just give them a chance, but then of course someone did - kawato:)

well waiting for the SP to be subbed even though the comments from you guys seems to be not so so good. I guess would have to wait till the movie for the realyl good stuff

koshien ikuzo!

~hmm the roadshow takes place in May, does that means the movie would be after!?

Kamakaze Karaoke

Post by Kamakaze Karaoke » Jan 27th, '09, 16:09

I just finished this drama and i LOVED it! I'm a big fan of baseball dramas and Nakao Akiyoshi(was also in H2 my fave sports drama ever) so I had high expectations, and I was not disappointed! And I had an OMG moment in ep 7 when Nakao showed off his body! enough to make a girl go "KYA!"

mujiri

Post by mujiri » Jan 27th, '09, 17:15

lol then you should keep a look out for the movie coming in may, which would most prob be all about koshien. cant wait for it to come myself:)

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Feb 2nd, '09, 05:05

Anybody that lives in L.A. can see this being broadcast on Ch. 18 at 9:00 PM. First episode is being broadcast as I type this. Oh and it has subtitles.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » Sep 29th, '09, 03:04

I think this is probably the best drama ever. But, it's not my favorite drama. I hope you understand what I mean. lol.

I found this drama to be incredibly heartwarming. I cried in every episode. I was shocked because I'm not an emotional person and have been told I'm a cold, uncaring, and heartless. Yup, this was a great drama. ^_^

I haven't seen the SP yet, but I just finished DLing it. So, the SP is pretty much just a recap? Aww, that sucks. Oh well, I'll just watch it since I have it.

generalpaper

Post by generalpaper » Nov 9th, '09, 15:28

anyone watched the ROOKIES movie yet? izzit nice.? I CANT seem to find it on any torrent sites...can some1 pm me the link if possible pls.!!! ONEGAISHIMASU.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Nov 9th, '09, 19:27

^ It hasn't been released on DVD yet, so it probably hasn't surfaced on the Internet yet (unless there are some cam rips floating around). The DVD will be released on 12/4, so there will probably be many opportunities to see it on the Internet then.

Anyway, ROOKIES is currently the highest grossing movie in Japan for 2009, which I think is pretty amazing. It grossed a fair amount more than any of the recent drama-to-movie hits including Gokusen, Galileo, Hana Yori Dango, and even HERO. It was still playing in most theaters when I went to Japan this summer... unfortunately I wasn't able to catch it though... So I'm patiently waiting for the DVD/Blu-ray release.

Orbity

Post by Orbity » Jan 22nd, '10, 22:50

garnet07

Re: Hiratsuka Taira

Post by garnet07 » Feb 3rd, '10, 07:05

samanthapoop wrote:Hey guys, hope this wasnt posted before,

guess who..

tada!

the funny dude who cracks me up all the time. HAHA! he looked hot in the first pic. shucks. or maybe wiki made a mistake?

source:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kiritani_Kenta[/img]
Haha LMAO. Can't believe the "pinch hitter face", "go in and bat, eeh it was just a joke come back here in the bench" guy actually looks HOT.

Two years later, I finally decided to watch this drama. I watched the first 2 episodes when they first came out, but it didn't really interest me that much. But since there's no good Jdoramas right now, I decided to watch a few more episodes of this and from ep3- well about to watch the last episode. This is so good. I haven't finished Gokusen 3 either because that got really boring after watching S1 and S2, S3 has all recycled plot lines.

Is able to recognize more than half of the characters now after watching Aikurushii, Bloody Monday, MW, Nodame Cantabile, Hanakimi, Tantei Gakuen Q and Pride.

@samanthapoop:

Thanks for sharing that info. It's really hard to picture the baka-Hiratsuka as a cool dude. :lol

generalpaper

Post by generalpaper » Feb 3rd, '10, 14:13

oh what a difference a little hair can do....hahaha

fleng

Post by fleng » Feb 6th, '10, 12:57

Just finished watching Rookies the movie and effin bawwed Manly Tears. A very good ending to the series and movie.

Sayonara Rookies.

One for all!!!

mrs_chiba

Post by mrs_chiba » Feb 17th, '10, 07:35

i re-watched this drama again and i am so loving it!
the story, the cast and everything. it's one of the best in 2008 and i think the cast deserve an applause for the great acting lol.

*needs to watch the movie now*