Drama: Japanese version or other asian versions?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
pinkstars

Drama: Japanese version or other asian versions?

Post by pinkstars » Jul 24th, '07, 08:29

Do you know any other dramas which have several versions besides the Japanese one?if you do, which one do you prefer?

For example:
METEOR GARDEN vs. HANA YORI DANGO - for me, i prefer HanaDan. I think it's better in terms of acting, sequel of scenes, choice of music etc. :D

Goodnessgracious

Post by Goodnessgracious » Jul 24th, '07, 08:39

Hanazakari no Kimitachi e is better than Hana Kimi.
Hana Yori Dango is the best Asian drama and obviously better than Meteor Garden.
But Itazura na Kiss is not as good as ISWAK, but I think that is because it is so old.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 24th, '07, 08:40

taiwanese versions lack originality and are dodgy

japysia

Post by japysia » Jul 24th, '07, 13:52

Jdrama - Shiroi Kyoto (1978 & 2003)
Kdrama - White Tower (2007)
TWdrama - The Hospital (2006)

Jdrama - 101 kaime no propose (1991)
Kdrama - 101st Proposal (2006)
Cdrama - 101st Proposal (2003)

pinkstars

Post by pinkstars » Jul 24th, '07, 13:55

japysia wrote:Jdrama - Shiroi Kyoto (1978 & 2003)

so, which of those do u prefer?? :-)

^ iChigO ^

Post by ^ iChigO ^ » Jul 24th, '07, 17:30

Hana Yori Dango vs METEOR GARDEN
HYD is much better than MG
the lead actress is prettier too :thumright:

arabian

Post by arabian » Jul 24th, '07, 17:51

I think that Jdramas is much better in all the ways..

japysia

Post by japysia » Jul 24th, '07, 23:28

pinkstars wrote:
japysia wrote:Jdrama - Shiroi Kyoto (1978 & 2003)

so, which of those do u prefer?? :-)
I only watch jdrama.

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Jul 24th, '07, 23:37

errr .. HYD and Meteor Garden .. I like both of them :P
Meteor Garden is the only drama that made me wake up the whole night, and I have to go to uni without sleeping :P ..
HYD is good too.
So I like HYD and Meteor Garden :mrgreen:

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jul 25th, '07, 01:50

I seen some different versions and usually they both suck and sometimes, the jdorama is better.

jazzmine101

Post by jazzmine101 » Jul 25th, '07, 02:02

JDRAMA ALL THE WAY!!! :lol

xsakaiie

Post by xsakaiie » Jul 25th, '07, 02:20

Jdrama is always better (in my opinion) when compared to Tdrama or HK...I don't know, Taiwanese version of drama lacks too much in the acting (not because the actor/actress are cute/hot that they can necessarely act well) and aren't adapted to real life. The characters don't seem like ''human'' :D

I do know that a character such as Ashiya Mizuki from Hanazakari no Kimitachi e can't be realistic (a girl travelling an ocean for a guy and want him to jump again, let's stay realistic), but the adaptation in Jdrama is still more convincing then Tdrama :unsure:

all that to say :

JDRAMAS are the B E S T ! :D :wub: :cheers:

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jul 26th, '07, 04:57

Not really opining on the discussion, but...
I've heard that My Name is Kim Sam Soon is much better than Oishii Puropozu.
Same goes for the Jdrama remake of the Kdrama Hotelier...

xjenny

Post by xjenny » Jul 26th, '07, 05:16

Smiling Pasta (Taiwanese) VS. Full House(Korean)

In my opinon, i liked Smiling Pasta better..
even thought the two dramas' storyline were different in many ways
----
I watched Meteor Garden then Hana Yori Dango, and HYD beats Meteor garden by a lot [IMO] xP
---
just a thought... taiwanese dramas (if made from a manga) they follow the storyline of the manga a lot more..dont you think..? while as japanese dramas they change it a little (which makes it interesting)

airskape

Post by airskape » Jul 26th, '07, 07:13

this thread is so biased..lol
but hua yang shao nian shao nu (tw hana kimi) > hana kimi jdrama x1000
even though i love maki and shun, the tw version eats it for breakfast :D

leona_senshi

Post by leona_senshi » Jul 26th, '07, 07:31

I think both have their own good qualities, for example a lot of Taiwanese dramas are based on japanese mangas that don't have an animated version or maybe even a drama, take MARS and Marmalade boy, i loved it because I loved the manga, I got to see the real thing, the actors also looked very much alike to the manga characters, all the face expressions and situations are based on the manga.

but Jdramas don't always follow the manga or original story, the edit it and give it a little twist i think that's what makes the j dramas better in a way because it's not the same story and it keeps you glued to the story for that same reason, u see a different situation with your favorite character.

but I still love the japanese dramas better than other adaptations.

aggiel

Post by aggiel » Jul 26th, '07, 07:54

eff that, JDRAMAS FTW!!

i refuse to watch anything other than jdramas..i know, maybe i should give the other versions a chance but i've gotten so used to watching jdramas that i just refuse anything else!

i love me some JDRAMAS!

<333 foreverrrr..

my favorite drama. ^^^

pinkstars

Post by pinkstars » Jul 26th, '07, 14:11

@aggiel: i love ur sig..reminiscing HanaDan days.huhu.

@leona_senshi: i hope they will make a jdrama for Mars and Marmalade bOy..i love the manga. :D

amz_dreamz

Post by amz_dreamz » Jul 26th, '07, 14:54

HYD so much better than Meteor Garden
so does HanaKimi ~ikemen paradise` compared to Taiwan version

JadedAngel

Re: Drama: Japanese version or other asian versions?

Post by JadedAngel » Jul 26th, '07, 15:01

pinkstars wrote:Do you know any other dramas which have several versions besides the Japanese one?if you do, which one do you prefer?

For example:
METEOR GARDEN vs. HANA YORI DANGO - for me, i prefer HanaDan. I think it's better in terms of acting, sequel of scenes, choice of music etc. :D
The acting is better in HYD but, I prefer Meteor Garden. The taiwanese version was what first had me fall in love with the storyline in the first place, anything else just seems like a remake.

And as someone else mentioned ISWAK is also better than the Japanese version.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Jul 26th, '07, 15:05

furransu wrote:taiwanese versions lack originality and are dodgy
Lack originality? the Taiwanese versions basically stick to the manga storyline which is the point of having a live adaptation in the first place. Jdramas tend to change that, which is what makes me not like them that much, i want to see the story brought to life, not have the J-style twists that deviate.

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Jul 26th, '07, 23:09

I prefer the Japanese version of Hana Yori Dango [although it's not my fave drama], I refuse to watch Meteor Garden...it looks so boring. I'm still trying to get into the Japanese version of Hana Kimi, I was really excited when I found it out was airing. Funny enough, I actually enjoyed the TW version, so I'm hoping the Japanese one is even better.

ajewell

Post by ajewell » Jul 26th, '07, 23:43

airskape wrote:this thread is so biased..lol
but hua yang shao nian shao nu (tw hana kimi) > hana kimi jdrama x1000
even though i love maki and shun, the tw version eats it for breakfast :D
I completely agree. I gave up on the J-drama adaptation of Hana Kimi... as a hardcore fan of the manga, I just couldn't stomach the changes.

And although I ADORED the Japanese adaptation of Hana Yori Dango, Meteor Garden was the very first drama I ever saw and is what got me interested in asian dramas in the first place. So for me, HYD never really had a chance in the "Taiwanese-verses-Japanese" argument... plus, I think the F4 are way hotter in MG, so...

Also, one of my favorite Korean dramas is Save the Last Dance for Me, and yet, I actually prefer the Taiwanese version, Prince Who Turns into Frog... maybe because they made it happier and funnier.

Hmm... so, based on all that, it looks like I'm actually leaning towards Tawainese adaptations over Japanese ones. haha, I'm probably the only one...

As a whole though, I usually enjoy Japanese dramas the most, just not when it comes to adaptations. (Strange as that sounds).

Bishie_Queen

Post by Bishie_Queen » Jul 27th, '07, 21:51

I think it depends on the actors they get and which ones a viewer can tolerate and such.

I do find TW versions, the filming of the drama, it just seems well very unprofessional sort of not properly done. Is that just me?

Anyway HYD Vs Meteor Garden for me I preferred HYD because if you've read a manga you don't really want it to completely follow the manga as it sorts makes it boring as you know what to expect. I think with HYD, you could see the wealth more with the F4 compared to the F4 in Meteor Garden.

The Taiwan version of Hana Kimi Vs Jap Version - For me, I don't really like both. The Taiwan version I got to episode six and didn't have the will to watch anymore. I think Jiro Wang was the reason I got so far. Ella really annoys me. She can't act for BEANS!!! Then the Jap version is so stupid but I admit I like the guy with the cape just cos I want to see him trip on it. I think I need to watch more of the Jap version to really come up with an opinion.

The TW Version of It started with A kiss is much better than the Japanese Version even though it dragged. Looking foreword to number 2!

I would love to see a Jap version of Marmalade boy because the Taiwan Version was so bad. I mean the actors don't look anything like the manga characters.

But the Japanese did a really god job with My boss my hero when the adapted it from the Korean movie. I think they are both good.

Is there any more?

hisa

Post by hisa » Jul 28th, '07, 15:46

wasn't there also akuma de soro? There was a taiwanese adaption right? I didn't like it from the first episode, mostly because I can't watch taiwanese stuff anymore!! I agree with another post....they're just so unprofessional looking and I can't stand the acting at all. So bad...I did like Meteor Garden (1st season) when I watched it. It was my first asian drama though...but so much more thought seems to go into Japanese dramas. After getting into Japanese dramas though I can't watch anything else...Korean dramas are great too, but I can't watch em as much because they're just overkill and they seem to lack originality...

I liked It Started With a Kiss for a while. But unfortunately it bombed after a while because it dragged and I got annoyed with the main characters. I thought 'hey! A TW drama I actually like!' but then it failed. Boooo...

Overall japanese dramas are way more professional and the acting is usually a lot better. At least from what I've seen...and as for the plot changes...mmm, I liked HYD because the plot changes weren't so much. It was just enough to keep you hooked but not angry that it's too different. HOWEVER, I saw the first episode of HanaKimi Japanese version and they actually changed a lot...like the kind of things that I don't like to be changed!!! It reminded me of a taiwanese drama a bit...and not because the change bc taiwanese dramas don't really change things but just the way the story was presented I guess...but I only saw parts of the 1st episode so I could be wrong lol.

And My Boss My Hero was awesome. :D

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jul 28th, '07, 16:55

The only drama that I've seen two versions of is Hotelier.

The original Korean version is incredibly good! It gives you enough background to make the setting of this high class hotel and all the ongoing business machinations believable; and the characters are all wonderfully developed, 3 dimensional, and dynamic. They used a full 20 episodes to express a nice complex story. The romance was beautiful, and everything about it just said quality.

The Jdrama on the other hand totally tanked. First off, it's got far more limited settings (like 97% of the show is IN the hotel) which makes it seem cheaper right off the bat. The characters were made mostly 2 dimensional, completely destroying the main love triangle by flattening the only competition for the heroine's affections as well as the herione herself. The writers didn't seem to know anything about business, so the business dealings in the show ended up confusing and generally stupid. The show was poorly paced and squeezed into 9 episodes. And while the major romance started out pretty good, the writers later decided to remake the story with their own "twist" and managed to kill it.
It's a matter of complete idiocy to make the love interests think they are brother and sister for about half the drama over a ridiculously contrived mistake. Such a mistake was never made in the Kdrama at all. The Jdrama's ratings went straight into the toilet because of that little twist.

Maybe part of the difference is because Hotelier never started out from a Japanese manga to begin with and was originally targeted to more of an adult viewership, but I don't think I've spoken to anyone who prefered the Jdrama of Hotelier to the Kdrama. I think the only reason any of us stuck with the Jdrama at all was Oikawa Mitsuhiro's performance, and by the end I know a couple of us were too fed up with the overall stupidity to even post final opinions.

I even started the Jdrama first, so it's not like I had an initial prejudice towards the Kdrama.

Sierrablue

Post by Sierrablue » Jul 28th, '07, 17:26

It seems that Jdramas have more money flowing into their productions which makes them more refined looking.

In the case of HanaKimi I'd have to say that since both the lead actresses can't act to save their lives it's a toss up. I prefer the taiwanese version a little more because it sticks to the original storyline.

People tend to not like it when a good story gets changed. Let's say for example Lord of the Rings adaptation to film. Even the smallest seemingly insignificant change was unacceptable.

zenkzenk

Post by zenkzenk » Jul 28th, '07, 17:41

Sierrablue wrote:It seems that Jdramas have more money flowing into their productions which makes them more refined looking.

In the case of HanaKimi I'd have to say that since both the lead actresses can't act to save their lives it's a toss up. I prefer the taiwanese version a little more because it sticks to the original storyline.

People tend to not like it when a good story gets changed. Let's say for example Lord of the Rings adaptation to film. Even the smallest seemingly insignificant change was unacceptable.
It's unacceptable because it's TOLKIEN (!!!!) and not some story about a girl stalking a high jumper.

zenkzenk

Post by zenkzenk » Jul 28th, '07, 17:42

Sierrablue wrote:It seems that Jdramas have more money flowing into their productions which makes them more refined looking.

It's unacceptable because it's TOLKIEN (!!!!) and not some story about a girl stalking a high jumper.

Sierrablue

Post by Sierrablue » Jul 28th, '07, 18:10

zenkzenk wrote:

You're absolutely correct! I feel the same way.

However in the mind of someone who really likes the story about the stalker, changing the story line is usually met with resentment. No matter how trivial the book or manga is.

foxtoast

Post by foxtoast » Jul 28th, '07, 18:14

ajewell wrote:
airskape wrote:
Hmm... so, based on all that, it looks like I'm actually leaning towards Tawainese adaptations over Japanese ones. haha, I'm probably the only one...

As a whole though, I usually enjoy Japanese dramas the most, just not when it comes to adaptations. (Strange as that sounds).
You're not the only one :) I liked HYD more than Meteor Garden (higher budget, and I liked the actors and script more) but on the whole I like the Taiwanese adaptations better. Like, neither Hua Yang Shao Nian Shao Nu nor HanaKimi were perfect, but given that both actresses are flawed (Ella I like, but she's not right for the role; it makes her seem like she can't act even though she's been good in other things. As for Maki, she's about as exciting as a wet paper bag) I'd say Wu Chun is a slightly better Sano, and I really hate how stupid they made the J-drama. I really feel like it insults my intelligence.

Also there are a lot of good adaptations that have only been done in Taiwan. I prefer the stories that they choose to do over the stories Japanese producers pick. The adaptations tend to be a little less OTT and are often more humorous and less soapy. I really liked ISWAK and I'm currently enjoying Why Why Love. Nodame Cantabile-style humor seems more common in J-dramas and it's really hard to do correctly. (Liked Nodame, can't stand HanaKimi, etc.)

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jul 28th, '07, 18:40

In comparison I tend to like Japanese versions over other versions. HYD was much better than the few episodes of Meteor Garden that I saw.

Also TW versions have an 'over the top/over-acting' feel to them IMO. KDramas become boring to me because they over emphasize the "mushiness". I don't mind some romance but not too much in my dramas.

And Hana Kimi VS the Japanese version I actually preferred the 5 eps. of the Thai version!!! I I thought I would like the Japanese version better but it really annoyed me by the second episode (starting reminding me of the Nodame Cantible feeling which I hated) and I stopped watching.

And I agree with one of the posters above when they said that both the actresses in HK could not act! I still think the Thai version was better from what I saw of it but I tuned out on this version too... but at least I made it further than the Japanese version! :lol

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Jul 28th, '07, 18:51

I hate how people glorify J-drama over every other drama. Personally, depending on the drama, some are good while others are pure crap. I find some j-dramas okay. Since, I'm so used to watching k-drama. I'm not use to the j-drama style of acting. THere is no depth, it just seems that they just execute their lines with no emotional feelings. Right now, I like tw Hanakimi more than the japanese one because of Ella and Wu. Asano in the japanses drama is so dull.

Maki is so-so. She's dull too, the only character I like in hanakimi japanese is TOMA's character.

MG, I thought was kinda twisted. I didn't watch the rest of the series once Jerry's character slapped barbie's character. That incident really turned me off and it was way too long (30eps). HYD was much better, but the second season really sucked.

shosef

Post by shosef » Jul 28th, '07, 19:03

@ MitsukaiKuroi

it's Taiwanese...not Thai....just want to point that out...

anyways..i like the take of Meteor Garden more than HYD (this is not to say i hate it)....you could feel that the characters they are playing are really them....compared to the Japanese version...though i must admit the acting in MG could use a little polish (though i completely understand since it's the first time for the F4 and Barbie to act) but i can really see that they are their characters....and i also like the piano part where San Cai messed up playing the piano at first but later on did good in playing it than the version of the japanese where Makino 's messed up piano playing...in MG, it brought down Dao Ming Si's mother a peg or two while in the HYD it seems to me it proved nothing...

i love the adaptations of Taiwanese cuz i could more or less really get into the story cuz i can see the more or less the whole story of the manga....

aggiel

Post by aggiel » Jul 28th, '07, 19:23

although i love jdramas forever and ever, some of them are boring. i mean of course not every one of them is gonna be the best drama in the world but man. maybe cus i love romance and not everything i've watched had some in it.

anyway, i like jdramas because they aren't too long. i mean, 9-11 episodes? i think i may have time to watch that rather than something that's about 25-30 episodes long don'tcha think?

and even if jdramas do change the plot, you have to give them credit for being able to include as much as they do and sometimes make it interesting at the same time for the amount of episodes they're given.

jdramas. i know, i'm so biased.

Namida Iro

Post by Namida Iro » Jul 29th, '07, 05:36

leona_senshi wrote:I think both have their own good qualities, for example a lot of Taiwanese dramas are based on japanese mangas that don't have an animated version or maybe even a drama, take MARS and Marmalade boy...
Actually, there's an anime on Marmalade Boy long time ago. ^^;
---
Personally, I prefer jdorama over the other two. Kdrama is the second best for me. I'll try not to include my biasness into this account. I do like several TWdramas such as ISWAK and Love Contract.

The drama that really killed my interest for TWdramas is Hua Yang Shao Nian Shao Nu (as much as many people actually liked it). Sure, Hiro and Wu Zhun have the looks, but Ella as Mizuki I thought was overacted (not to mention that Maki displays a better image of 'cute boy' like in the manga). Like, they tried to make the drama as funny as possible, but it just came out way too wrong for me. I feel she tried to hard to be cute to the point it became silly. Mizuki wasn't that silly in the manga. Also, I think Wu Zhun still has a long way to go. More experience needed.
(Note: I'll use the original Japanese names, cause I can't remember the Chinese names) I think that particular scene when Mizuki fainted and Sano tried to give her some water, when he tried to make her drink, was too farfetched. You know, that scene when Mizuki dreamt of Sano gargling the water before he gave it to her. Ugh..
As much as I hoped that they will follow the storyline, the Jpn version has still succeeded in catching my attention. In fact, this time round I'm not disappointed at all, over the fact that they didn't quite follow the manga. It is the fact that they changed it slightly that it has been even more interesting. Otherwise, it'll be just like rewatching a rerun on a certain plot, just that it has become 'alive', that's all.

HYD is also much better than MG, IMHO. Also, I agree with aggiel about the fact that Jdoramas is about the right length. I think Korean dramas are too long sometimes. x_X Thus, I think Jdorama is the best.

Just expressing my views, not inviting any flame war or anything. :roll Peace.<3

zyerath

Post by zyerath » Jul 29th, '07, 06:02

i find it a lot easier to convince my friends to watch till finish a japanese drama than a kdrama or cdrama of a similar title...

in term of originality, i think kdrama has way too many story of poor-willful girl hooked with a rich-cool guy. jdrama has wider variety n scopes... n sumtimes give a bit of moral sense(like anybody cares... but it's still a plus)

so i think jdrama surpass kdrama or watever in a lot of aspects

deeplove

Post by deeplove » Jul 31st, '07, 02:04

Goodnessgracious wrote:Hanazakari no Kimitachi e is better than Hana Kimi.
Hana Yori Dango is the best Asian drama and obviously better than Meteor Garden.
But Itazura na Kiss is not as good as ISWAK, but I think that is because it is so old.
taiwanese version all the way. the jap version is wayyyyy tooo exaggerated. I look at the actors and im like "eww.. ugly". Personally I can't imagine anyone going overseas to see those boys :-( Shun's character is sooo unlikeable.where as in the taiwanese one he's likeable.

Tanpoporin

Post by Tanpoporin » Aug 1st, '07, 06:17

The Japanese set out to make Hana Yori Dango better than the Taiwanese. And I think that they succeeded. The Taiwanese version was too long for me.
I also like the Yamada Taro Monogatari better in Japanese. The Taiwanese was kinda boring.
thats about it for me. But the Taiwanese are making manga-based dramas like crazy. Waaay more than the Japanese do. Japan is just catching on and are like, "hey! those are our stories, lets make our own Japanese version" Cuz' there are a lot that haven't been made into Japanese version. ({Peach Girl, Tokyo Juliet, Summer Snow(I think that was the name))

I prefer the HANAKIMI Taiwan version. You could tell that they had fun with. Yes, the acting wasn't all that great at times, but it was cute and actually funny(I don't know what the Japanese producers are thinking). HANAKIMI's story is unbelievable 100%, and the Taiwanese cast knew that and played with it. The Japanese...is just bland and tries to make it too serious and bad jokes. PLUS I wanna see Oguri Shun in a non-angsty character from now on. Damn, I thought he didn't wanna do Hana Yori Dango again cuz' the was tired of playing the quiet and angsty, Rui! He is a good actor, I wanna see him in good roles again like Gokusen and Stand Up!!! [/i]

foxtoast

Post by foxtoast » Aug 1st, '07, 06:35

Tanpoporin wrote:I prefer the HANAKIMI Taiwan version. You could tell that they had fun with. Yes, the acting wasn't all that great at times, but it was cute and actually funny(I don't know what the Japanese producers are thinking). HANAKIMI's story is unbelievable 100%, and the Taiwanese cast knew that and played with it. The Japanese...is just bland and tries to make it too serious and bad jokes. PLUS I wanna see Oguri Shun in a non-angsty character from now on. Damn, I thought he didn't wanna do Hana Yori Dango again cuz' the was tired of playing the quiet and angsty, Rui! He is a good actor, I wanna see him in good roles again like Gokusen and Stand Up!!! [/i]
That's what I thought, too. And am I the only one who thinks half the boys look waaaaay too old in the Japanese version? Even using 26/27-year old actors the Taiwanese characters looked a lot more like their age (which was 19, even, instead of 17!) Also poor Oguri. I guess he did take the role, but he said he was kind of bored playing Rui-types. Plus they did a bad dye job on his hair. It's too black or something (or bad combo with makeup?) Looks flat and makes him look funny. Thus far the only plus on the Japanese version side right now is the fact that Sano kissed Nakatsu. I want that in the TW version :P

I do think it's kinda funny that they always change the ages in Taiwanese dramas, though. They're always 19 instead of in high school. I presume this is so there's no underage drinking or kissing or whatever, but it makes for sort of weird juxapositions between what's obviously a high school based story (like HanaKimi or HYD) and the (I guess?) college setting.

feeling

Post by feeling » Aug 1st, '07, 06:49

kdrama and especially twdrama --> for stupid people with slow-working brains (can only watch slow-paced, shallow dramas)
jdorama --> for intelligent people (not for the slow-witted)

pinkstars

Post by pinkstars » Aug 1st, '07, 06:59

Tanpoporin wrote:I also like the Yamada Taro Monogatari better in Japanese. The Taiwanese was kinda boring.
what's the title of the taiwanese version?

Sakuraiinie

Post by Sakuraiinie » Aug 1st, '07, 07:34

what's the title of the taiwanese version?
TW version: Poor Prince Taro (Ping Qiong Gui Gong Zi)

I havent watched the taiwanese one, but since i watched the japanese one first with Sho and Nino i dont think the taiwanese version would get better than that xP

pinkstars

Post by pinkstars » Aug 1st, '07, 10:48

aaaah,tnx for that info :)

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Aug 1st, '07, 11:15

feeling wrote:kdrama and especially twdrama --> for stupid people with slow-working brains (can only watch slow-paced, shallow dramas)
slow down kiddooo. No need to resort to these type of name calling.

Tanpoporin wrote:
I prefer the HANAKIMI Taiwan version. You could tell that they had fun with. Yes, the acting wasn't all that great at times, but it was cute and actually funny(I don't know what the Japanese producers are thinking). HANAKIMI's story is unbelievable 100%, and the Taiwanese cast knew that and played with it. The Japanese...is just bland and tries to make it too serious and bad jokes. PLUS I wanna see Oguri Shun in a non-angsty character from now on. Damn, I thought he didn't wanna do Hana Yori Dango again cuz' the was tired of playing the quiet and angsty, Rui! He is a good actor, I wanna see him in good roles again like Gokusen and Stand Up!!! [/i]
IMO if you could readily tell the actors are having fun, it'll be more fitting to call it as sitcom rather than a drama. The acting, the set, the intricate details they all play their parts when it comes to how well your audience can immerse with what's on screen.

Can you elaborate more on how you find it bland? May be the TW version is worth a look see.

BlueStar000

Post by BlueStar000 » Aug 7th, '07, 21:01

popoycanton wrote:
feeling wrote:kdrama and especially twdrama --> for stupid people with slow-working brains (can only watch slow-paced, shallow dramas)

lol it was funny, on what he wrote
Tanpoporin wrote:
IMO if you could readily tell the actors are having fun, it'll be more fitting to call it as sitcom rather than a drama. The acting, the set, the intricate details they all play their parts when it comes to how well your audience can immerse with what's on screen.

Can you elaborate more on how you find it bland? May be the TW version is worth a look see.
the first time i heard there was a TW version of hana kimi, i was like, hey lets take a look.
but the minute i watch the first epsiode i was like WTF, is it just me or does ella in hana-kimi just look too much like a boy (i mean i would prolly mistaken her as a boy if she were to go out like that), way too manly.

plus maki is so much more attractive and her acting is fairly good.

ladyroake

Post by ladyroake » Aug 7th, '07, 21:28

Japanese vs Chinese/Taiwanese.. no competition. Japanese version all the way!!!

But K-drama is very different from Jdorama. I like them both, but If I have to choose between K-drama or Jdorama, I would choose K-drama.

....but really.... K doesn't really make live actions from J manga like Taiwan. I watched some T live actions and enjoyed a few episodes but I can't stand it for the most part. There's only some parts that I like but most of T stuff are unbearably bad for me. Sorry. Just my opinion.

rotor_kid

Post by rotor_kid » Aug 7th, '07, 22:00

I like HYD more than MG but that just me. For J-drama vs TW-drama or any other. I think all of them are good well some are boring for sure, but its just depend on the person. Somepeople like the story to follow what is in the manga and some people like a little twist to the storyline. i prefer both J-and TW drama. Im not into H-drama that much becaouse i dont like how they have gang member and stuff like that but to be honest some H-drama are good. so I think its just depend on the person taste.

IndieRockerette

Post by IndieRockerette » Aug 7th, '07, 22:43

BlueStar000 wrote:
popoycanton wrote:

Tanpoporin wrote:

the first time i heard there was a TW version of hana kimi, i was like, hey lets take a look.
but the minute i watch the first epsiode i was like WTF, is it just me or does ella in hana-kimi just look too much like a boy (i mean i would prolly mistaken her as a boy if she were to go out like that), way too manly.

@feeling: I think Jdramas are more complex and varied than other dramas, but I wouldn't go so far as to label K or TW dramas as dramas for dumb people. Some people prefer love centered dramas where there's some sort of triangle/square with events that are typical and predictable. I'm not saying that's bad or anything because I do watch some of those myself. But try to be nicer, some people can get really offended.

The first time I watched Hana Kimi (TW version) I really didn't like it! I really hated the actress who played Mizuki. She was sooo annoying and made Mizuki seem so dumb :cussing: ! Oh and when she talked.. nails on a chalkboard :crazy: ! The only person I liked was Nakatsu.. his character was quite cute. Whoever played him did a pretty good job :lol !

I love Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (J version)!! I love the actors, set, hot boys, everything about it! For those who say they want it to be more like the manga.. go watch the TW version. I like how they change the script. It keeps Hana Kimi from being predictable and me from getting bored because I know what's going to happen.

Now as for Hana Yori Dango (1&2) vs. Meteor Garden... is that even a comparison?! Hands down K.O. goes to HYD. I love the characters. The actors did a great job portraying who they're playing especially Mao as Makino and Jun as Domyouji. They had such great chemistry and really made me believe that they love each other. The drama did an excellent job of exploring themes. Everything was outstanding and really did the manga justice, and will probably be my favorite drama and manga of all time.

I try to watch TW dramas but I don't enjoy it. One I do like is It Started With A Kiss.. that one was cute and I'm looking forward to season 2. I'm hoping there will be a more modern version of Itazura na Kiss.. I'd like to see how the Japanese change it and what not. Kdramas are really typical to me and I can usually predict what's going to happen. So unless people really like it, I won't try to watch. Compared to everything else, I think Jdramas are the best. I hope I didn't offend anybody, that was just my personal opinion :-) .

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Aug 7th, '07, 22:52

i only watch 3 types of asian drama : jdrama, jdrama and jdrama

mikaila

Post by mikaila » Aug 7th, '07, 23:12

From what I've seen so far, I would prefer Japanese version of the dramas.

In HYD, the setting, the fashion, and the acting are way better. In Meteor Garden, the acting is quite bad, the clothes they wear are quite cheesy...
For HanaKimi, I started watching the TW-vers. and thought it was okay. Jiro did a good job playing Nakatsu. But after 5 eps, it became draggy and boring. After 10 eps, I just gave up on it. I am currently watching the J-vers. It is great so far. Characters other than the main ones are given attention as well, unlike the TW-vers.

Yup. That's just my opinion. No hard feelings.

ajewell

Post by ajewell » Aug 7th, '07, 23:38

Wow. You're an idiot, aren't you?

Please... never speak again.

vina.loves.sushi

Post by vina.loves.sushi » Aug 8th, '07, 00:04

hmm...when i was starting out with asian dramas i actually preferred korean dramas but after a while it gets harder for me to watch it because it's so long and the storyline are quite predictable...

taiwanese dramas are ok...i actually liked MARS but after watching devil beside you, i never want to watch another TW drama again...the acting was soooo exaggerated, i read the manga, i'm ok with changes but this one i could not stand...i liked rainie yang but because of this drama it turned bleh!

over-all i like jdramas, they have more variety of storylines

jenylis

Post by jenylis » Aug 8th, '07, 00:23

Japanese doramas all the way people!!!

BlueStar000

Post by BlueStar000 » Aug 8th, '07, 02:13

IndieRockerette wrote:
BlueStar000 wrote:
popoycanton wrote: slow down kiddooo. No need to resort to these type of name calling.

@feeling: I think Jdramas are more complex and varied than other dramas, but I wouldn't go so far as to label K or TW dramas as dramas for dumb people. Some people prefer love centered dramas where there's some sort of triangle/square with events that are typical and predictable. I'm not saying that's bad or anything because I do watch some of those myself. But try to be nicer, some people can get really offended.

The first time I watched Hana Kimi (TW version) I really didn't like it! I really hated the actress who played Mizuki. She was sooo annoying and made Mizuki seem so dumb :cussing: ! Oh and when she talked.. nails on a chalkboard :crazy: ! The only person I liked was Nakatsu.. his character was quite cute. Whoever played him did a pretty good job :lol !

I love Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (J version)!! I love the actors, set, hot boys, everything about it! For those who say they want it to be more like the manga.. go watch the TW version. I like how they change the script. It keeps Hana Kimi from being predictable and me from getting bored because I know what's going to happen.

Now as for Hana Yori Dango (1&2) vs. Meteor Garden... is that even a comparison?! Hands down K.O. goes to HYD. I love the characters. The actors did a great job portraying who they're playing especially Mao as Makino and Jun as Domyouji. They had such great chemistry and really made me believe that they love each other. The drama did an excellent job of exploring themes. Everything was outstanding and really did the manga justice, and will probably be my favorite drama and manga of all time.

I try to watch TW dramas but I don't enjoy it. One I do like is It Started With A Kiss.. that one was cute and I'm looking forward to season 2. I'm hoping there will be a more modern version of Itazura na Kiss.. I'd like to see how the Japanese change it and what not. Kdramas are really typical to me and I can usually predict what's going to happen. So unless people really like it, I won't try to watch. Compared to everything else, I think Jdramas are the best. I hope I didn't offend anybody, that was just my personal opinion :-) .
true hana yori dango was much, much better than the TW version.
anyways i think the only good TW drama i was able to watch from starting to end was ' it started with a kiss' (very good i think, acting was good for a TW Drama, although it did seem to drag). Smiling pasta (i did find Cindy abit pale, remind me of a vampire, and Nicholas Teo he looks so much like that guy who plays in the kdrama "wonderful life", is it just me or does anyone else think that). tat about it.

one thing i got to say about kdramas though, i find them really repetivive in how they make em, it doesn't really stand out much from any of the other kdramas, as the jdrama's does. i think i prefer the styling of jdrama much more.

sunnystar

Post by sunnystar » Aug 8th, '07, 16:00

I'd prefer Jdramas on many occasions, but i won't deny some Tdramas/Kdramas do swoon me off too!

Hana Kimi: To be honest, I felt pretty sad for Maki when i read comments about her being bland/dull etc. She may not be as good an actress to some of you out there, but she's only 19! An excuse you may say, but i strongly believe in Maki's potential to be one of the best Japanese actresses. I've watched many of Maki's shows, and i am deeply impressed by her ability to portray most of them well. Horror (well i've never watched them, but i heard she's pretty good at acting ghostly :O), Cute (You can't deny Mizuki's cute, right! xP), Funny (Nobuta power all the way!) etc. No offense here, just felt that she deserves some justice done 8D

Hana Kimi (Jap), on many terms, outdo the TW version IMO. Acting wise, i'd prefer the Jap one. Perhaps Wuzun really did a better job portraying Sano, but who knows what Shun will come up with in the episodes to come? Toma > Jiro xD (IMO!) I totally love how Toma did all the funny Nakatsu actions. And Maki, i'd prefer her to Ella because i feel Mizuki should be less "dumb". Ah but Ella is good all the same! :D

Hana Yori Dango: All the Hana shows. This one i'd also prefer the Jdrama. Mainly because i feel the TW one drags too much. I think this applies to many dramas, because many TW dramas really go on forever. Sure, some may argue TW F4 is more handsome (i don't deny that), but Jap F4 drew my attention more because... ah... actually no reason :S Jun did a better job than Jerry (wah both Js!) IMO in terms of being dumb and funny. :D I love both Shun and Vic!!!!! The sad emo characters never fail to attract me :3

ISWAK: I didn't catch the Jap one, because it was pretty long ago. But i must say the TW one really really reallllllyyyyyyy made me so happy because of the cast and the funny interactions. I love the Ariel x Joe pairing, and although Xiangqin was really too dumb for her own good, when you get used to her dumbness, it's really fine. And what's more there's always Zhishu around her to complement her stupidity. ISWAK <3

Long comment! Paiseh :S

anythingthatrhymes

Post by anythingthatrhymes » Aug 12th, '07, 04:15

Hmmm. I've thought about this for quite a while.

Cinematic-wise (Best picture category)
Jdramas win here. I guess they have higher budget than K or Cdrama production, or maybe it's the style but I just think their choice of scenes, special effects (not CGI, but you know, they'll pan off the frame for impact), yada yada. Think Liar Game. Liar Game had that awesome music they would play every time the plot twisted out another knot. Kdramas are good too, but nothing really impressive. And Cdramas... I remember getting really annoyed with the cheap on-screen animation. Smile Pasta in the first episode had a rain cloud follow Cyndi Wang around. TW-Hana Kimi, you know those lame effects... blushing cheeks? And KO one, don't know where to begin with that one.

Plot
I find these differ in the genre. Most romance dramas bore me because NOTHING HAPPENS or it's so FORMULAIC. Hana Kimi, there's one central plot. Everything else is just comedic quirks, there's very little development. You're watching the whole thing, just for that one moment where everyone finds out the truth and it NEVER comes. I plan to never see HYD or Meteor Garden so I have nothing to say about those. Stairway to Heaven was good, but I hate that whole 2 people are supposed to meet and it takes 20 close encounters to meet. Most romance genres lack originality IMO. Now sometimes, these aren't really meant to have a running plot. Just supposed to sit back and watch stuff happen. This works for a few dramas like Sexy Voice and Robo. SVaR(does anyone use this acronym?), I thought, was very good. Each episode felt like there was something deep and absurd about it. It was surprisingly interesting. Cdramas tend to do too many manga adaptations, but they do come up with something different and original sometimes like 18JBJ.

Redundancy
Ok, here I'm not talking about remakes. I'm talking about these dramas that have really similar elements. Jdramas have a lot of school-related angsty student material like Seito Shokun, Gokusen, GTO. And Kdramas has too many poor-girl-changes-snobby-rich-guy or some other version of the formula set with different themes like cooking or planes or idk.

Realism
Seito Shokun.. the reason why the students couldnt trust the teacher or any adult, I found that incredibly stupid. Their last teacher betrayed them, so now they have to glare at every other adult in the world? Not plausible, doesnt make sense.
If bizarre things happen in a bizarre world, it's normal. But this is supposed to be the same world, same line of thinking, same psychology, so it doesn't make sense.
Hana Kimi is supposed to be bizarre in the first place and not meant to be taken seriously, so they pass in this respect.
Kimi wa petto doesnt set out to be a serious or realistic drama, so they can do the whole, be-my-pet thing.
Which brings me to 14sai no Haha. It's just... something about Miki's reasoning for keeping the baby over abortion doesn't make sense against the realistic backdrop of her setting: suburban japan 2007.

UGHH. I meant to only post a couple sentences. That's it, I'm stopping here before I overanalyze.

foxtoast

Post by foxtoast » Aug 12th, '07, 04:36

sunnystar wrote:I'd prefer Jdramas on many occasions, but i won't deny some Tdramas/Kdramas do swoon me off too!

Hana Kimi: To be honest, I felt pretty sad for Maki when i read comments about her being bland/dull etc. She may not be as good an actress to some of you out there, but she's only 19! An excuse you may say, but i strongly believe in Maki's potential to be one of the best Japanese actresses. I've watched many of Maki's shows, and i am deeply impressed by her ability to portray most of them well. Horror (well i've never watched them, but i heard she's pretty good at acting ghostly :O), Cute (You can't deny Mizuki's cute, right! xP), Funny (Nobuta power all the way!) etc. No offense here, just felt that she deserves some justice done 8D
True, maybe (I think Maki's cute, but immature as an actress; in five or six years she may be quite good) but I think the main problem is she's reeeeally miscast as Mizuki. Everything about her screams "girl" and there's no chemistry between the main pairing. At this point I think she is more suited to acting ghostly or wallflower-y because she's not dynamic. Mizuki is a character that demands a dynamic, effusive actress or the audience won't empathize with and root for her. I feel a bit sorry for Maki because she's a bit of a trainwreck in Hanakimi and it's not entirely her fault.

karen05

Post by karen05 » Aug 12th, '07, 05:01

since i watched meteor garden first, i refused to watch hanayoridango. i tried watching the 1st episode, but i couldnt get myself to finish even though ive heard good things about it.

but since i was very disappointed with meteor garden 2, i decided to watch hanayori dango 2. and i was surprised because i actually liked it.

so then i guess, it all depends on which one you watched first. and if you liked the first one or not.

schoko4u

Post by schoko4u » Aug 12th, '07, 09:16

karen05 wrote:since i watched meteor garden first, i refused to watch hanayoridango. i tried watching the 1st episode, but i couldnt get myself to finish even though ive heard good things about it.

but since i was very disappointed with meteor garden 2, i decided to watch hanayori dango 2. and i was surprised because i actually liked it.

so then i guess, it all depends on which one you watched first. and if you liked the first one or not.
i never watched meteor garden, only hyd, because i was put off tw dramas and c dramas forever after watching afew eps of frog turns to prince (itw as called something like that) and it just..dragged on and on...

sam forkdramas really, normally theyre so melanchlic and ...long. although i still enjoy them at times.

but my favs are jdramas all the way. i just like the way theyre made. cant really explain it , but i think it might be the culture which just appeals to me more.

karen05

Post by karen05 » Aug 15th, '07, 06:49

schoko4u wrote:
karen05 wrote:since i watched meteor garden first, i refused to watch hanayoridango. i tried watching the 1st episode, but i couldnt get myself to finish even though ive heard good things about it.

i never watched meteor garden, only hyd, because i was put off tw dramas and c dramas forever after watching afew eps of frog turns to prince (itw as called something like that) and it just..dragged on and on...

sam forkdramas really, normally theyre so melanchlic and ...long. although i still enjoy them at times.

but my favs are jdramas all the way. i just like the way theyre made. cant really explain it , but i think it might be the culture which just appeals to me more.
yes, i really regret not watching jdramas sooner. my first jdrama was hyd2, and i only watched it because of my boyfriend.

and the stupidest thing is, i cant get myself to watch hyd1 because of the sucky fire escape. i felt the rooftop in meteor garden, was way prettier. i usually decide whether or not i will watch the whole series, after watching the first episode. and if theres something i dont like about it, i stop. even little things like. the fire escape in hyd.

and now, i think i should actually give it another shot. since i know it'll be good. hopefully my stubbornness wont get the best of me. (x