[Survey]Which one single performance was the most memorable?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
nhk9

[Survey]Which one single performance was the most memorable?

Post by nhk9 » May 11th, '07, 10:17

Which one single performance by one single actor/actress was to you, the most memorable/impressive performance?

There are quite a few good actors in jdrama, but the most memorable one for me is

Yuusuke Santamaria's portrayal of "haru" in アルジャーノンに花束を (Flowers for Algernon).
Haru, who is mentally handicapped, witnesses drastic changes in his intelligence and his emotional wellbeing after receiving brain surgery. Santamaria's performance is masterful in how he so convincingly can change from virtually one person to another.

The show did not receive good ratings, but I consider it to be one of the best dramas of this decade.

I'd like to hear about your choices.

Cheers,

shineox

Post by shineox » May 11th, '07, 18:29

for me, its everyone's performance in orange days.

to take the time and effort to learn sign language, it takes alot for an actor to not talk and show emotions through body expressions.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » May 11th, '07, 21:26

I'm with you on Santamaria Yusuke in Flowers for Algernon, I thought he was outstanding.
I also loved Terao Akira as the father in Yasashii Jikan, he was subtle and gave a delicate performance, so different to the normal over-the-top pouting/shouting actors.
Also Toyokawa Etsushi in Aoi Tori, a man living a half-life - and not even his own life, until he sees the woman in the rain. I would give him an award just for the expression on his face when he first sees her.

Yamada Takayuki in Byakuyaku, the agony of a person who has not just plumbed the depths, but embraced them, yet still you see a glimmer of the sweet little boy he used to be. Speaking of Byakuyaku, I have to say, both children were fantastic, but I would especially pick out the little girl, she was riveting.
Also a special mention to Sorimachi Takashi as Nobunaga in Toshiie and Matsu, sex on legs!

Ultimately, though, I think Santamaria is the performance that I admired the most. Santamaria can be prone to overdoing it in other roles, but as Haru he was perfect.

When you come to really look at the performances, it's wonderful to think how many really good ones there are.....

crimmy

Post by crimmy » May 12th, '07, 00:02

Hmm.. I'll gve this one to Sawajiri Erika's performance in One Litre of Tears.. I find that performance brilliant

Magicus

Post by Magicus » May 12th, '07, 00:41

hmm most memorable would have to be Sakai Noriko in Hoshi no Kinka for me, I don't think I'll ever forget that one. I'll have to put down Nakai Masahiro and Ken Watanabe in Suna no Utsuwa as well, they made that drama work.

I need to watch Flowers for Alergnon one of these days to see what all the fuss is about :whistling:

Edit - Almost forgot, someone else will probably say this as well but Kubozuka Yosuke as "King" in IWGP is another one I have to put down :lol

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » May 14th, '07, 10:57

Magicus wrote:[Edit - Almost forgot, someone else will probably say this as well but Kubozuka Yosuke as "King" in IWGP is another one I have to put down :lol
:lol :lol :lol haha, i love kubozuka yosuke! such a great actor. he's got many good roles LoL (you should watch the movie Ping Pong if you haven't).

anyway i totally agree with Yamada Takayuki in Byakuyakou. i wouldn't say that series was completely and utterly amazing.. but just the character he played... so well done.. ack it's heartbreaking just to think about. T-T

i also gotta agree with orange days. everyone in that series did an outstanding job.

BUT you can't forget to mention Kimura Takuya (and actually Fukatsu Eri too) in Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi (One Million Stars Falling from the Sky / The Smile Has Left Your Eyes). His character in that show.. leaves me completely speechless. he plays the character so perfectly. i strongly recommend this series to anyone who hasn't seen it.

i haven't seen Flowers for Alergnon but i remember reading the story in english class in high school. surprises me actually they made a dorama out of it. (well.. not too surprised i suppose LoL)

lailoken

Post by lailoken » May 14th, '07, 22:25

crimmy wrote:Hmm.. I'll gve this one to Sawajiri Erika's performance in One Litre of Tears.. I find that performance brilliant
I AGREEEE 150%

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » May 14th, '07, 22:46

hmm i thought sakai masato was brilliant as yamanami in shinsengumi. i just felt like "oooh this MUST be what yamanami was like"

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » May 14th, '07, 23:57

Yeah, Sawajiri was awesome in 1L, and Kimura Takuya is just amazing actor in most of his series :thumright:

The most impressive performance for me is Abe Hiroshi in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. I had a very low expectation in this series when it started, but Abe was absolutely convincible as an anti-social loner. Although the story was also very well written, it's the acting that made this series special for me.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 15th, '07, 03:42

most memorable one single performance in one particular scene is Ninomiya as Takuro on the day he met his father to ask for his forgiveness. I could never forget how honest & beautiful his tears were.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » May 15th, '07, 03:50

8thSin wrote:The most impressive performance for me is Abe Hiroshi in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. I had a very low expectation in this series when it started, but Abe was absolutely convincible as an anti-social loner. Although the story was also very well written, it's the acting that made this series special for me.
so true~!

japysia

Post by japysia » May 17th, '07, 03:44

1-Tomosaka Rie in Kimi ga Oshietekureta koto/From the heart
2-Kusanagi Tsuyoshi in "Boku" series (Boku no Ikiru Michi, Boku to Kanojo to Kanojo no Ikiru Michi,Boku no Aruku Michi) and Boku no Seikou no Himitsu(Koi ni Ochitara)
3-Tamura Masakazu in Oyaji and Otousan.
4-Odagiri Joe in Satorare.
5-Tsumabuki Satoshi and Shibasaki Kou in Orange Days
:thumleft: ~ サトラレ ~ 心の声がサトラレる。。。 :thumright:

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » May 18th, '07, 23:20

Takenouchi Yutaka in With Love gave a very deep impression to me..I could never forget him as Hasegawa Takashi, the cold, cool young handsome songs composer who promises to never fall in love again. He plays his role brilliantly, makes me think does he really a true musician.

And of course, Nagase Tomoya as Sakuraba Yuichiro. That, will be my favourite role in drama for life.

zenkzenk

Post by zenkzenk » May 19th, '07, 06:49

Abe Hiroshi as Kuwano in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko

stefonia

Post by stefonia » May 21st, '07, 11:48

aishoni2 wrote:most memorable one single performance in one particular scene is Ninomiya as Takuro on the day he met his father to ask for his forgiveness. I could never forget how honest & beautiful his tears were.
yes yes yes yes yess!!! that's memorable i love how innocent he looked in that scene!