Who would you have liked to see play Domouji Tsukasa?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
hanapyupyu

Who would you have liked to see play Domouji Tsukasa?

Post by hanapyupyu » Apr 6th, '07, 15:18

Hey guys,

This is just a topic which I'd like to hear your opinions on because I've been thinking about it for a long time. I didn't want to bring it up while Hana Yori Dango Returns was airing, because it might have put a damper on things. And I don't want anyone to misunderstand me, because I am a pretty huge fan of Matsumoto Jun (as far as fans go, lol. I'm too old to drool over him though). So, this topic is not to disrespect his work as Domouji, as I felt he did a fabulous job as Domouji Tsukasa!

Remember, this topic is just for fun, not to campaign for particular actors or whatever. Because as we know, what is done is done. Hana Yori Dango is a finished series, a done deal. I just want to hear your opinions on who else you would've liked to play Domouji Tsukasa (or other members of F4, if you have an opinion on that. or even Makino Tsukushi).

Ok, my two cents. I'll give my personal choices for Domouji Tsukasa. Being that he should be a popular actor, naturally one would think of a JE boy. Well, there are only 3 JE guys I genuinely adore and the rest I don't give a toss about. I'll discuss each one individually.

First one, is Takuya Kimura. I believe he would have made a pretty gosh darn sexy Domouji. Kimutaku is sex on legs, woot woot! :wub: He also has that petulant, 'bad boy whom you cannot resist despite yourself aura' about him, which is exactly what Domouji should exude. He has a temper too. However, on the flip side, Kimutaku is not really tall enough, and I'm not sure he can pull off the baka-ness of Domouji (he can nail the kakoii-part down pat though). Plus, the most obvious thing going against him is age. If this was 10 years ago, I'll bet Takuya Kimura would have been a serious contender to play Domouji Tsukasa or Rui in the jdorama version of Hana Yori Dango, what with his immense popularity and all in the mid-late 90s.

Second one , is Tomoya Nagase. *Ding Ding Ding* We have our Domouji right here! :D Tomoya baby has the height (the dude is 183 cm, sugoi!), he has the masculine build and toughness to portray the violent Domouji and he also has the comic timing to play the BAKA Domouji! In other words, Tomoya would have been the PERFECT Domouji, well, at least to me! :lol If you've seen My Boss My Hero, you'd know that Tomoya plays a natural born leader wonderfully, which makes him a natural leader of F4. He can act quite well too, in the touching scenes as well as the loud scenes (though he does tend to overact now and then, but since Hana Yori Dango is based on a manga, over the top acting goes with the territory, I guess. lol). With Tomoya's great looks and leadership qualities, there would be no doubt as to who's the most handsome and attractive member of F4. Step aside, Oguri Shun and Matsuda Shota. They won't be able to tower above Tomoya. His Domouji would have put Jerry Yan's to shame. Alas, the Hanadan producers didn't consider Tomoya for Domouji. Perhaps they felt Tomoya is not quite young enough to appeal to the teenage demographic? If I HAVE to think of a negative, then I'd say it'd be weird to see Inoue Mao paired up with Tomoya. She looks too young and short for him (although Aragaki Yui who was paired with Tomoya in MBMH is the same age as her). She looks better paired with Matsumoto Jun.

Last one, Matsumoto Jun. Okay, first the negatives. Yes, he is not tall enough for Domouji, strictly speaking. Also, I think he doesn't quite pull off the scary side of Domouji...like you know if you pissed him off, he could beat you into a pulp. But that is not his fault because of hiis slender frame. And maybe he is not as handsome as the manga Domouji. But look at the positives. Where Matsujun lacks in height, he has a natural born charisma that draws your attention to him. Although he is not the prettiest JE boy, he has good acting skills and a very expressive pair of eyes which can show so much emotion in them. Matsujun portrayed the loneliness and vulnerability of Domouji poignantly , and he really brought out the refined, rich boy and arrogant air about Domouji, with his attention to detail in his mannerisms and personal style. Plus, he nailed the adorable and Baka side of Domouji (maybe a little too well, lol...so much so that sometimes it seemed like I was seeing the dorky Matsujun more than Domouji on screen). And he fits in well with the other cast members (especially with Oguri Shun and Inoue Mao - the camaderie was very real). So, all in all, I'm very happy to have Matsumoto Jun play Domouji. :D

Yet, a teeny tiny part of me still sighs and wonders how it would have turned out if Tomoya Nagase had played Domouji.
Last edited by hanapyupyu on Apr 6th, '07, 17:18, edited 4 times in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 6th, '07, 15:41

before reading your post i thought, of course there is one and only person fit enough to play domyouji but after reading it, i have to agree on some points you made.
as you can see from my sigi i love both jun and tomoya.
i have not read the manga so i can not compare both domyouji versions together but i got the full undestanding of domyouji's character by watching HYD. i mean i understood his personality. jun's acting gave me this understanding.
now i am wondering about what if tomoya was domyouji? the problem with tomoya is the age. he really does not look like high school boy at all. even in MBMH it fits perfectly because he was there in his real age (28) and that made comeplete sense. but i also think that tomoya would have made a perfect domyouji on his unique way. tomoya is just perfect in every way you look at him. :wub:
jun also is a perfect domyouji (just ignoring the hight and size issue and the fact all other F3 were taller than him) and because of his great acting ability HYD is so popular with high rating.
but definitely don't think that Takuya would have been a great domyouji because he is way too old for this character.
i am more than happy that jun was domyouji and for me there is only one.
but i always wanted that Hiroki Narimiya to be one of F4.
i read some where that when jun found out that he is chosen of HYD he thought that will be rui and never thought of domyouji's character.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 6th, '07, 15:42

First part is continuation of second. The cast would be better left alone. As for the other actors, I think they're too old looking compared to the rest of the other F3 boys. If there's age difference it looks kinda weird where this new guy suddenly pops up from and looking much older...

kokitty

Post by kokitty » Apr 6th, '07, 16:49

I didn't enjoy HYD 2, dropped it after 2 epis so i'm just going to base my impressions on the first season.

Let's put it this way, if it is 10years ago, Kimura Takuya would have made a good Tsukasa. 5yrs ago, yes.... Nagase would have been perfect.

FYI Kimura Takuya did do HYD more than a decade ago. He was Rui in a CD drama format of HYD. I guess perhaps they saw him more as a Rui then than a Tsukasa. If it was Kimura as Tsukasa 10yrs ago??? Well, i'm fairly sure Kimura might have made the drama even more popular and do a better job than Jun now since he's recognised as an better actor than Jun at this present age. Height wise, if Jun could pull it off then there's no reason why Kimura can't. The only possible negative factor that i can think of for Kimura would be that besides the Tsukushi actress, the remaining F4 members would be so totally overshadowed by him until it is no longer HYD but the Kimura Takuya show. Kimura has the tendency to "ruin" dramas cos of his strong aura.

Nagase is the most physically perfect candidate for Tsukasa and his acting skills then was definitely more than adequate for the role. So it's not a matter of blaming the producers for not casting him... they might have bounced such an idea off him yearsago but got rejected outright. One thing Johnny's Jimusho wouldn't even have considered a drama which has him taking second billing (Tsukushi role is the top billing for HYD). Just for the fun of it, if Nagase was casted 5years ago then of course we're looking at a whole new batch of actors/actresses for the other roles. Off the top of my mind, perhaps Yuko Takeuchi who did Mukodono with Nagase would have made a good Tsukushi. I did like her spunk in Lunch No Junno and other roles.

Jun, i questioned the choice of casting him when the drama was announced. The height factor for 1 thing, secondly his aura wasn't strong enough to make one notice him at a quick glance (ie the leader of F4 feel isn't there at first glance). In the end, Jun did a fairly great job there's nothing much one can hold against him. Besides, since Jun wasn't such a strong aura type of actor, this left room for the other F3 members to shine and in a way made HYD more balanced than it might have been.

Personally, i don't think Tsukasa is that difficult a role to tackle. There're tons of actors who could have done it equally well, if not better. I mean it's not a role whereby you can't imagine anyone else in it other than the original actor aka Nagase in Tiger n Dragon, Kimura in Long Vacation etc.

10years ago, Sorimachi Takashi might have been a great choice too. 5years ago, Mabo or even Sakaguchi Kenji if he had better acting skills. Today, physically Hayami Mokomichi would have been perfect but of course with improved acting skills, but hey if Jerry Yen could have made up for novice acting skills with sheer physical presence, Moko can too.

All in all, as long as you don't cast a midget like Domoto Tsuyoshi or Nino where no amt of great acting skills can made up for the lack of physical presence, or someone like Kame who no doubt popular but at this stage just have the wrong aura..... with a great script, capable production team behind you and lots of hard work, there're a lot of able actors around who could have done a great job too.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 6th, '07, 18:28

Personally, i don't think Tsukasa is that difficult a role to tackle. There're tons of actors who could have done it equally well, if not better. I mean it's not a role whereby you can't imagine anyone else in it other than the original actor aka Nagase in Tiger n Dragon, Kimura in Long Vacation etc.
I agree with last line about Tiger & Dragon and Long vocation with you 100%.
and we are talking about the these last two years regarding HYD, i think for this time Jun is best domyouji of this years. i wonder who would be the best domyouji in 10 years times if they thought of remaking the whole drama again.
:lol

vicvicious

Post by vicvicious » Apr 6th, '07, 18:41

Akanishi Jin could take this role, i suppose. he's younger, got mischievious, spoiled and innocent look altogether. he's tall which is more advantage and he looks posh as well.

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Apr 6th, '07, 18:45

before reading your post i thought, of course there is one and only person fit enough to play domyouji but after reading it, i have to agree on some points you made.
as you can see from my sigi i love both jun and tomoya. [/quote ]

Yes, I noticed your sig and knew somehow that you'd reply to my post. :mrgreen:

i have not read the manga so i can not compare both domyouji versions together but i got the full undestanding of domyouji's character by watching HYD. i mean i understood his personality. jun's acting gave me this understanding.
Jun certainly did justice to the role of Domouji but I'd recommend you read the manga too. I don't think one can get a full grasp of the character of Domouji until you read the original work by the mangakan. It is quite pleasurable reading for what it's worth and you might find yourself quite attracted to the manga Domouji as well. lol
now i am wondering about what if tomoya was domyouji? the problem with tomoya is the age. he really does not look like high school boy at all. even in MBMH it fits perfectly because he was there in his real age (28) and that made comeplete sense. but i also think that tomoya would have made a perfect domyouji on his unique way. tomoya is just perfect in every way you look at him. :wub:
I agree, Tomoya doesn't look like a high school boy but he would have been perfect as Domouji 5 years ago and even a couple of years ago, I think he could have pulled it off quite charmingly. He is gorgeous however way you look at him, isn't he?

Here's a picture of him with his group Tokio. http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 128eg4.jpg
Doesn't he just stand out in the group? :wub:
jun also is a perfect domyouji (just ignoring the hight and size issue and the fact all other F3 were taller than him) and because of his great acting ability HYD is so popular with high rating.
but definitely don't think that Takuya would have been a great domyouji because he is way too old for this character.
i am more than happy that jun was domyouji and for me there is only one.
but i always wanted that Hiroki Narimiya to be one of F4.
i read some where that when jun found out that he is chosen of HYD he thought that will be rui and never thought of domyouji's character.[/b][/color]
Interesting choice you have there in Hiroki Narimiya. He's one of my fave actors actually. I like his versatility. He can play the flamboyant playboy alright, and his height just about matches Matsujun. Perhaps he could've played Akira (because I thought the actor for Akira in HYD just lacked the playboy vibe of the womanizing Akira, although he was likable enough).

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Apr 6th, '07, 19:57

kokitty wrote:I didn't enjoy HYD 2, dropped it after 2 epis so i'm just going to base my impressions on the first season.

Let's put it this way, if it is 10years ago, Kimura Takuya would have made a good Tsukasa. 5yrs ago, yes.... Nagase would have been perfect.
You put succintly in one sentence what I tried to say in 2 paragraphs. :lol
FYI Kimura Takuya did do HYD more than a decade ago. He was Rui in a CD drama format of HYD. I guess perhaps they saw him more as a Rui then than a Tsukasa. If it was Kimura as Tsukasa 10yrs ago??? Well, i'm fairly sure Kimura might have made the drama even more popular and do a better job than Jun now since he's recognised as an better actor than Jun at this present age. Height wise, if Jun could pull it off then there's no reason why Kimura can't. The only possible negative factor that i can think of for Kimura would be that besides the Tsukushi actress, the remaining F4 members would be so totally overshadowed by him until it is no longer HYD but the Kimura Takuya show. Kimura has the tendency to "ruin" dramas cos of his strong aura.
Good point about Kimura's aura overshadowing his castmates. Neither would he want to be billed as a supporting act to Makino. I also read about him playing Rui in the CD version of HYD, though I personally feel he is a better fit as Tsukasa with his explosive personality. Kimura is better at expressing passionate, unpredictable characters, rather than the mellow dreamer types like Rui.

You're right, the Hana Yori Dango characters are not that hard to cast, you'd just have to pick the popular actors of that period and try to best fit them to the manga characters. Let's imagine, for the fun of it...if Kimura had played Domouji 10 years ago. Who then could've played the other F4 members? I'd probably pick Takenouchi Yutaka to be the calm, mysterious Rui. I'd agree Sorimachi Takashi and Sakaguchi Kenji ( a hunk definitely and his acting has improved somewhat, he almost stole the screen from Kimutaku in Pride :P ) would be good candidates, but I don't picture them as Domouji types, the Soujiro and Akira roles would suit them better. Takako Matsu is a natural spunky Makino (even though she's not exactly petite, lol) while Matsushima Nanako is a good fit for the sophisticated Shizuka of their generation. WIth a cast this strong, I think the ratings back then would have shot through the roof. :lol
Nagase is the most physically perfect candidate for Tsukasa and his acting skills then was definitely more than adequate for the role. So it's not a matter of blaming the producers for not casting him... they might have bounced such an idea off him yearsago but got rejected outright. One thing Johnny's Jimusho wouldn't even have considered a drama which has him taking second billing (Tsukushi role is the top billing for HYD). Just for the fun of it, if Nagase was casted 5years ago then of course we're looking at a whole new batch of actors/actresses for the other roles. Off the top of my mind, perhaps Yuko Takeuchi who did Mukodono with Nagase would have made a good Tsukushi. I did like her spunk in Lunch No Junno and other roles.
Yeah, I could see Yuko playinig Makino. She has the sweetness and the spunk. Or even Kou Shibasaki. Kou and Nagase, now that's one pairing I'd love to see. :D
Jun, i questioned the choice of casting him when the drama was announced. The height factor for 1 thing, secondly his aura wasn't strong enough to make one notice him at a quick glance (ie the leader of F4 feel isn't there at first glance). In the end, Jun did a fairly great job there's nothing much one can hold against him. Besides, since Jun wasn't such a strong aura type of actor, this left room for the other F3 members to shine and in a way made HYD more balanced than it might have been.
Me too, I was sceptical about Jun's casting as Domouji. I liked him as Momo in Kimi Wa Petto, but as the violent, dark and explosive Domouji? Eh. I wasn't sure he could pull it off. But he gave a brave performance, which made up for what he lacked in physical stature. When the F4 were strutting into the cafeteria in the first episode of HYD, you know the director was aiming for a grand, powerful entrance for them, but I just chuckled seeing them four....which is probably not the effect they were hoping to make on viewers. lol But I have to say they grow on you. :-)

If we were to compare Takuya Kimura and Tomoya Nagase with Matsumoto Jun at his age, you could argue that they had stronger auras than Jun and already carried their own doramas in their mid twenties while Jun shone more as a supporting actor (in Hana Yori Dango, Gokusen and Kimi Wa Petto) and he is always supporting the female lead. However, Jun is still young and only entering into his mid twenties now. And he will be leading his own dorama very soon with Bambino. So we'll see how he progresses.
10years ago, Sorimachi Takashi might have been a great choice too. 5years ago, Mabo or even Sakaguchi Kenji if he had better acting skills. Today, physically Hayami Mokomichi would have been perfect but of course with improved acting skills, but hey if Jerry Yen could have made up for novice acting skills with sheer physical presence, Moko can too.

All in all, as long as you don't cast a midget like Domoto Tsuyoshi or Nino where no amt of great acting skills can made up for the lack of physical presence, or someone like Kame who no doubt popular but at this stage just have the wrong aura..... with a great script, capable production team behind you and lots of hard work, there're a lot of able actors around who could have done a great job too.
Hayami Mokomichi is so very wooden. I don't see his appeal at all, aside from his height. He even makes Itoh Misaki seem like a good actress by comparison. He needs to improve his acting some more before he can take on lead roles.

cantiara

Post by cantiara » Apr 6th, '07, 20:20

kokitty wrote:Today, physically Hayami Mokomichi would have been perfect but of course with improved acting skills, but hey if Jerry Yen could have made up for novice acting skills with sheer physical presence, Moko can too.
I think Hayami Mokomichi's acting skill has improved along with the better roles that they're starting to give him. It's proven by his strong performance as Nakagawa Masaya in Tokyo Tower 2007. I beg to differ, but there is just no way of comparing him with Jerry Yen now :)

gummonster

Post by gummonster » Apr 6th, '07, 20:36

I think that Tomoya Nagase would be a perfect Domyouji Tsukasa too, but i think that i'm very happy with Matsumoto Jun as Domyouji. I fell in love with Jun during the series, so yeah. I didn't like him at first though. Tomoya Nagase was so freakin awesome in My Boss My Hero, it will always be my favorite jdrama. Tomoya is like way bigger than Jun, but Jun is so cute when he smiles.

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » Apr 6th, '07, 20:55

wouldn't takeshi kaneshiro be the perfect hanzawa rui if they made hyd 10 years ago? hes' got such a gentle look and you know he can play mellow characters amazingly.

hmm i'm a huge takuya fan but i'm not sure he will be the BEST candidate for tsukasa. he's got the explosiveness and passion but there's the idiotic side to tsukasa also. i jsut can't see that in takuya outside of smapxsmap. he'd do a great performance but we're talking abou the BEST choice right?

tomoya is probably the best johnny's choice for domyouji. why didn't they make hyd 5 years ago?

maybe sorimachi 10 years ago would have been a good tsukasa also. well, the age would have fit but he didn't really blossom as an actor until 1998 with gto. but then that's around 10 years ago i guess.

the role of tsukushi is probably hardest to think of. maybe nakama yukie? it's so hard to imagine her not as yankumi or her character from trick but she's petite and spunky.

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Apr 7th, '07, 15:49

gummonster wrote:I think that Tomoya Nagase would be a perfect Domyouji Tsukasa too, but i think that i'm very happy with Matsumoto Jun as Domyouji. I fell in love with Jun during the series, so yeah. I didn't like him at first though. Tomoya Nagase was so freakin awesome in My Boss My Hero, it will always be my favorite jdrama. Tomoya is like way bigger than Jun, but Jun is so cute when he smiles.
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that Tomoya Nagase would have made a perfect Domouji Tsukasa. Now I can rest my case. :D

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Apr 7th, '07, 16:18

ladyusagi wrote:wouldn't takeshi kaneshiro be the perfect hanzawa rui if they made hyd 10 years ago? hes' got such a gentle look and you know he can play mellow characters amazingly.
Yeah, seeing that picture of him above laying on the pillow softly makes me think that too. Takeshi Kaneshiro would have made great candidate for Rui! 8) Now, with him as Rui and Yutaka Takenouchi as Soujiro, they'd be even matches to Takuya Kimura's Domouji in terms of male attractiveness. This version of Hana Yori Dango wouldn't have to be a one man show for Takuya then.
hmm i'm a huge takuya fan but i'm not sure he will be the BEST candidate for tsukasa. he's got the explosiveness and passion but there's the idiotic side to tsukasa also. i jsut can't see that in takuya outside of smapxsmap. he'd do a great performance but we're talking abou the BEST choice right?
True, true. This is what I said in my first post as well. While Takuya is good and very effective actor in certain roles, some detractors have commented that he seems to play 'Takuya' in every dorama. I can see their point. Takuya has never really let down his guard in terms of cultivating his screen persona. I've never seen him in a comic role before, or just plain act sillly for a change. There could be a reason why he avoids comedies.

So, yeah....while I'd think Takuya would've made an interesting and good Domouji, if I had to choose between Takuya and Tomoya, my money would be on Tomoya. He is most naturally suited in terms of comic timing, self-depreciating humour and lovable rougish charm to play Domouji and his physical presence is more suitable also. Indeed, why didn't they make HYD 5 years ago?
tomoya is probably the best johnny's choice for domyouji. why didn't they make hyd 5 years ago?

maybe sorimachi 10 years ago would have been a good tsukasa also. well, the age would have fit but he didn't really blossom as an actor until 1998 with gto. but then that's around 10 years ago i guess.

the role of tsukushi is probably hardest to think of. maybe nakama yukie? it's so hard to imagine her not as yankumi or her character from trick but she's petite and spunky.
Sorimachi would bring out Domouji's tough side very convincingly, but there's also the side of Domouji which is very pure and innocent. I don't see Sorimachi having that quality. I see him as more of a michieveous, knowing playboy type....

I'm with you on Nakama Yukie. She might not have been acting in the mid-90s to pair up with Takuya Kimura, but she'd have made a reasonably good Makino to Tomoya Nagase's Domouji too. But then again, I liked Aragaki Yui's and Tomoya's chemistry in MBMH. So who's to say that he can't be matched with a much younger actress for Makino?

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » Apr 7th, '07, 22:16

well it's not that i don't think takuya can act silly. just watch some smapxsmap skits and you'll see waht i mean. i think it's that his management company doesn't want him to put off such an image?

hmm but if it was tomoya 5 years ago, aragaki yui would be 13? hehe, i get what you mean though.

it's really hard to think of a 90s actress to play makino. actually, it's sorta hard to think of a current young actress to play makino. i guess it's because inoue mao made a great impression on people as makino.

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Apr 8th, '07, 11:08

Come to think of it, I can venture a guess as to why Hana Yori Dango wasn't made 5 years ago. It's simple really, it would have been too soon following Meteor Garden. Meteor Garden was produced in 2001 and became a phenomenal success in southeast asia, launching the taiwanese F4 into hearthrobs overnight from mere unknowns. The Japanese themselves were probably suprised that one of their manga adaptations (by the taiwanese, no less) could be so well received by viewers. Why didn't they think of doing that themselves? After seeing the success of Meteor Garden, they were probably kicking themselves for overlooking this manga adaptation cash cow.

In the 90s, most Jdoramas were original works made for tv, with a few exceptions like GTO. It was only in the last few years that it became a popular trend to produce manga adaptions in Japan. I believe Taiwan started that trend first (correct me if I'm wrong). So, to produce HYD in 2002 would've been too soon, the Japanese tv producers were still reeling in the aftermath of the Meteor Garden tsunami. They probably wanted to let things settle a bit, using the distance of time, to avoid too many comparisons (which was inevitable) or be accused of riding on the coat-tails of the taiwanese adaptation's success.
ladyusagi wrote:well it's not that i don't think takuya can act silly. just watch some smapxsmap skits and you'll see waht i mean. i think it's that his management company doesn't want him to put off such an image?

hmm but if it was tomoya 5 years ago, aragaki yui would be 13? hehe, i get what you mean though.

it's really hard to think of a 90s actress to play makino. actually, it's sorta hard to think of a current young actress to play makino. i guess it's because inoue mao made a great impression on people as makino.
I have seen Takuya in Smapxsmap a few times.....yeah, he can be funny and goof around with his Smap members when he wants to. Too bad we don't see that side of Takuya in his drama roles. His drama characters are usually uber kakoii.

As for Nagase, if he played Domouji 5 years ago, then it wouldn't be a problem finding a similarly young Makino for him. Rather, I'm thinking along the lines of - what if Nagase had played Domouji in the 2005 version of Hana Yori Dango, instead of Matsumoto Jun? Who should play Makino then?

Yes, Inoue Mao's version of Makino was very memorable. Just like Matsumoto Jun, Inoue Mao did a great job in this role, so it's hard to imagine any other young actress play Makino but her. We saw great chemistry between her and Matsumoto Jun, that is undeniable. But you know what? I saw that smapxsmap skit of Takuya as Pi-chan, trying to seduce Inuoe Mao. lol There was some visible chemistry between her and Takuya in there (could have something to do with the fact that Mao is a big Takuya fan, haha ). So, I am sorta curious to see how she and Nagase could have played off each other, despite the huge age gap between them. Guess we'll never find out. :P

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Apr 8th, '07, 11:32

I dont know where did I read that the idea of making HYD into drama series was started almost like 6 years ago and they indeed thinking of Tomoya as Domyouji and Oshio Manabu as Rui. Can someone authenticate this fact?! If its true than OMG..it would be interesting to see Manabu and Tomoya punching and kicking each other because of Tsukushi. Two manly guys... :wub:
YEah, i like o see Nakama Yukie as Tsukushi then.

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Apr 8th, '07, 11:37

i definitelty loved the p-chan skit with mao pwahaha hilarious

maybe there would be a drama with them? :lol
YaMaoPi Petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/YAMAOPI/index.html
avie: Ats siggy: eileenmafoy

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Apr 9th, '07, 03:44

lightsoul wrote:I dont know where did I read that the idea of making HYD into drama series was started almost like 6 years ago and they indeed thinking of Tomoya as Domyouji and Oshio Manabu as Rui. Can someone authenticate this fact?! If its true than OMG..it would be interesting to see Manabu and Tomoya punching and kicking each other because of Tsukushi. Two manly guys... :wub:
YEah, i like o see Nakama Yukie as Tsukushi then.
Soukah, 6 years ago?! That would be in 2001...around the same time Meteor Garden came out. Hmmm, if this is true then I wonder why they dropped the project....could be the japanese producers were one step too slow and Meteor Garden came out first to roaring success...and so it was risky to do HYD so soon after unless they were extremely confident they could top Meteor Garden. National pride is at stake here, lol!

Ah well. It's a pity eh? Tomoya as Domouji and Oshio Manabu as Rui would have been awesome casting! :wub: Oshio was adorable playing the loyal secret admirer of the lead actress in Love Revolution, so I can definitely see him as Rui. And how about Kashiwabara Takashi for Soujiro? Or better still, Hiroshi Tamaki! Haha, this is one version of Hana Yori Dango I'd have loved to see. :lol

Eria

Post by Eria » Apr 9th, '07, 07:26

dang. such long posts. lol

definitely not kimutaku since he's too old for hyd. i think nagase tomoya, tsumabuki satoshi or hayami mokomichi would have also been good.

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Apr 11th, '07, 00:21

probably tsumabuki satoshi or yamada takayuki?
They seems like they could fit in the role pretty well~(as they can really act out both sides
of Domyouji..)
Oh, also, maybe hirosi tamaki too, pretty popular these days...

Or maybe keisuke koide, he was pretty cool in Oishii proposal, and can be funny and wacky as in Nodame, but i guess he's probably not famous enough to take this role...

I tried thinking from outside of Johnnys, but i guess
there's really not that many other choices....
But, in Johnnys, i would say the most suitable is Nagase or Akanishi ...
And I think okada junichi could play the role well as well....

In terms of Tsukushi, a normal adorable, genki and slighty passionate high school girl would be fine for this role...
So I think vote for Ueto Aya.
And Yu Aoi would be my 2nd pick~!
Hirayama Aya & aragaki yui would also seem like a great fit~~
Sawajiri Erika may seem a bit too feisty, now that her image is destroying slowly ...

(Nakama Yukie, Shibasai Kou, takeuchi, etc would be fine 6/7 years ago, they're probably too old to play a HS girl now)
And 2 years ago, Ishihara, Nagasawa or Miyazaki would be great for the role, but they were in too much Movies & Drama, the image they built was quite different from Tsukushi...

Anyway, these kind of topics are pretty fun to talk about~! gets to think about random ppl and imagine how they would do as that role...

SunStar

Post by SunStar » Apr 11th, '07, 07:16

well....if he was a lot younger than he is now....i think Sorimachi Takeshi would make a great candidate...he can play along side with his wife, Matsushima Nanako....LOL
RICH MAN POOR WOMAN...please have a second season for those of us who cannot get enough of Hyuga Toru & Natsui Makoto!!

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » Apr 11th, '07, 08:52

kiwigloomy wrote:probably tsumabuki satoshi or yamada takayuki?
They seems like they could fit in the role pretty well~(as they can really act out both sides
of Domyouji..)
Oh, also, maybe hirosi tamaki too, pretty popular these days...

Or maybe keisuke koide, he was pretty cool in Oishii proposal, and can be funny and wacky as in Nodame, but i guess he's probably not famous enough to take this role...

I tried thinking from outside of Johnnys, but i guess
there's really not that many other choices....
But, in Johnnys, i would say the most suitable is Nagase or Akanishi ...
And I think okada junichi could play the role well as well....

In terms of Tsukushi, a normal adorable, genki and slighty passionate high school girl would be fine for this role...
So I think vote for Ueto Aya.
And Yu Aoi would be my 2nd pick~!
Hirayama Aya & aragaki yui would also seem like a great fit~~
Sawajiri Erika may seem a bit too feisty, now that her image is destroying slowly ...

(Nakama Yukie, Shibasai Kou, takeuchi, etc would be fine 6/7 years ago, they're probably too old to play a HS girl now)
And 2 years ago, Ishihara, Nagasawa or Miyazaki would be great for the role, but they were in too much Movies & Drama, the image they built was quite different from Tsukushi...

Anyway, these kind of topics are pretty fun to talk about~! gets to think about random ppl and imagine how they would do as that role...
but i think those girls are too cute to play makino though. i like them too but there's gotta be a little sense of plain to makino along with genki and strong.

yamada takayuki and tsumabuki satoshi just have such a strong image built inside my head that i can't merge their image with domyouji. tsumabuki's the nice guy next door with the c ute baby face and yamada's that nice guy that's always supporting the dying girl.

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Apr 11th, '07, 21:12

ladyusagi wrote: but i think those girls are too cute to play makino though. i like them too but there's gotta be a little sense of plain to makino along with genki and strong.
Hirayama Aya was pretty plain and innocent in Haruka 17, then in Tokyo Tower(05), she was very kowai... And Yu Aoi, sorta have a similar image to Mao Inoue to me... I mean before the drama, who would have thought of that Inoue fits in the role(makino) this well? Imean Inoue's previous drama was "kyuumeibyoutou 24ji", and she was only playing this sick girl in the hospital...
ladyusagi wrote: yamada takayuki and tsumabuki satoshi just have such a strong image built inside my head that i can't merge their image with domyouji. tsumabuki's the nice guy next door with the c ute baby face and yamada's that nice guy that's always supporting the dying girl.
But yamada in byakuyakou, showed that hes not just a nice guy(by commiting so many crimes)...
tsumabuki was pure in say hello to Black Jack, then goes mad and slays ppl in Dororo...
Just saying both of them are great actor, and is capable of handling this role well...

aeris0729

Post by aeris0729 » Apr 12th, '07, 08:09

Takuya Kimura is one of the great choices since he's so handsome and he has this manly appeal, but hello?guys takuya is old already to play as doumyouji maybe 10 yrs ago he can.
Takashi Sorimachi is another candidate because he is really muscular and he has such nice body, he would absolutely give off the doumyouji-sama aura, fierce and very appealing but like in takuya's case he is also old enough to be doumyouji.
Akanishi Jin(kyaaa!!! so sexy!!) will be great for doumyouji..well we can say that jin has these aura of coolness that would suit as doumyouji...i think if jin will play as doumyouji this will really be worth expecting..
Yamashita Tomoshisa(OMG! my love haha lols) could also be a great candidate for the next doumyouji i can't say anything about him because he has looks,charm and appeal but despite of all the cute and handsome guys i have mentioned I would only agree that MATSUMOTO JUN is the ULTIMATE PERFECT DOUMYOUJI ever!!!! and no one can replace him as my doumyouji...haha...is it too much exaggerated??

Well although many criticized that his height is not enough for him to portray doumyouji i think that he just proved that height doesn't matter as far as being an actor is concerned. I don't believe those who said that he didn't show a fierce attitude and intimidating behavior like doumyouji because honestly he was really a WAR FREAK guy in the drama which is really doumyouji-like. Haven't anyone noticed jun is a very childish guy here in the drama he's so into the role of doumyouji because aside from doumyouji being fierce, handsome,tall,appealing and rich he is so childish and it is emphasized in the manga and anime i'm really shocked that you guys didn't recognized that fact that even Jerry Yan couldn't portray greatly like jun had.

Do you remember when he acted really great when tsubaki said that makino will live together with tsukasa in their mansion?and she said that tsukasa shouldn't jump on tsukushi when she is sleeping then the reaction of jun is really doumyouji like..He jump off to his bed moving his feet up and down saying" shi neyo nee-chan!!!"

With this i can say he is the ABSOLUTE doumyouji..plus the fact that mao and jun's chemistry is great and convincing as makino and doumyouji.. i personally think that no one will play the role of makino and doumyouji greater than jun and mao because they are simply the greatest!!! it's UNDENIABLE ....JUN KIMi WA SAIKO DA!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Apr 17th, '07, 06:45

Actually when I first heard they were making Hana Yori Dango, I thought Akanishi Jin would have made a good doumyouji. I think Yamada Takayuki would have made a good candidate for one of the F4 too. I think Suzuki Anne would have made a good Tsukushi because she played a similar type of character in Gambatte Ikimasshoi. I think if they changed the setting to college (like in Metoer Garden), then I would have liked to see Tsumabuki Satoshi or Tamaki Hiroshi play Doumyoji.

Five years ago, I always thought Kashiwabara Takashi would have made a good Rui. He was good in dramas where he played cool, yet standoffish characters like in Itazura na Kiss.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Apr 18th, '07, 21:26

First of all i have to say that i'm 100% satisfied with the casting of Hana Yori Dango. I wouldnt change anything even though i think some characters would be well played by other actors too. When i first watched HYD i thought Jerry yan(from the meteor garden-the taiwanese version made before HYD) suited better to the character than Jun. But after watching the other episodes i got used to Jun as Doumyounji and i'm satisfied with him playing it. As for Rui, i always though Oguri was perfect.
kokitty wrote: Let's put it this way, if it is 10years ago, Kimura Takuya would have made a good Tsukasa.
Exaclty! Kimura is cool and he suits the sweet yet also brute character that is doumyouji, but only if the drama was filmed years ago. Nowadays he's to old for this character. maybe he could play a big brother of doumyouji or a grown-up doumyouji if they decided to make a HYD 3 ...what happened 10 years after that. :lol
FYI Kimura Takuya did do HYD more than a decade ago. He was Rui in a CD drama format of HYD. I guess perhaps they saw him more as a Rui then than a Tsukasa.
Kimura as Rui??? :blink I cant imagine him as Rui.... :unsure:

The only possible negative factor that i can think of for Kimura would be that besides the Tsukushi actress, the remaining F4 members would be so totally overshadowed by him until it is no longer HYD but the Kimura Takuya show. Kimura has the tendency to "ruin" dramas cos of his strong aura.
ehehehhe yeah.... Kimura is a attention stealer! :lol it's hard to notice other people with him around! :lol
Actually when I first heard they were making Hana Yori Dango, I thought Akanishi Jin would have made a good doumyouji.
Yeah! Jin would be great as this role because doumyouji has a bit of baka moments that make him look sweet and when jin is baka he is so charming and sweet. :wub: With Jin as Doumyouji, we could have Yamapi as Rui! :P
:D

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » Apr 19th, '07, 02:24

here's an idea of what nagase tomoya and inoue mao would have looked like together

[img]http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1750/bscap059sb8.jpg[/img]

more under the spoiler tags you know he doesn't look that old :whistling:

matsujun06

Post by matsujun06 » Apr 21st, '07, 03:02

For me, Matsujun took the role very great. So i think that he is the best for the role. :wub:

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Apr 22nd, '07, 06:01

here's an idea of what nagase tomoya and inoue mao would have looked like together
sorry but nagase=mao is a big DAME :scratch:
Actually when I first heard they were making Hana Yori Dango, I thought Akanishi Jin would have made a good doumyouji.
reaLity check pLs... :crazy:
Let's put it this way, if it is 10years ago, Kimura Takuya would have made a good Tsukasa.
yeah that wouLd be HYD 1996 :glare:

Domyouji as MatsuJun if Tsukushi is Nakama Yukie [period]

or for a change...

domyouji couLd be johnny kitagawa... haha wtf... :thumleft:

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Apr 22nd, '07, 06:38

ladyusagi wrote:here's an idea of what nagase tomoya and inoue mao would have looked like together

more under the spoiler tags

you know he doesn't look that old :whistling:
Lol, thanks for the pic! Hey, they sorta of look good together! :-) Inoue Mao can seem more mature if she wants to, and their height difference isn't that jarring. What event is this that they appeared together? Speaking of Inoue Mao, I liked her fine as Makino, but I'd want to see her play a more subtle and less cartoonish role in her next drama. Some of her facial reactions were golden in HYD, but there's nothing too challenging in terms characterization because manga characters are not very realistic. Same with Matsumoto Jun. If he keeps playing live-action manga characters and nothing else, that would stunt his growth as an actor. Ninomiya picks more challenging roles than Jun, and ultimately, may supercede him as the best actor in Arashi (if he hasn't already), even though Jun is the most popular member, arguably.

As for our discussion re:Tomoya and HYD, I agree, he doesn't look that old....if american actors in their late 20s can pull off playing high school kids in american soaps, I don't see why Tomoya can't because he's certainly the most qualified J-actor to play Domouji, I firmly believe. Maybe the J-producers could have adjusted the settings to make it happen in college instead of high school (like Meteor Garden did) .

In terms of physicality, temperament, and aura....Tomoya Nagase is THE perfect fit for Domouji. He exudes manliness and there's a silent strength, dependability and leadership quality about him. His characters all have the integrity (Mukodono, Tiger & Dragon, MBMH) letting you know instinctively that whatever weakness or bakaness he has, he will rise to the occasion and lead the way, when everyone is depending on him. In the same way, that is what Domouji needs to be. Surprisingly strong, cool-headed and adult-like when the situation calls for it.

As I've said before, Jun did a good job as Domouji, but he's still not the best fitted one for the role (in my honest personal opinion). He did the best with what he could. What was lacking in Jun, as is lacking in Jin and Yamapi and the rest of the younger generation JE boys, is this charismatic leadership and manliness that Tomoya has (even when he was in his early 20s, he was far more adult-like than Jun or Yamapi). Takuya Kimura, while not as tough as Tomoya, also has this very confident manliness that gave him this attractive aura from his early 20s.

And I agree with you about Tsumabuki Satoshi. He and Joe Odagiri are two J-actors I enjoy watching in the right roles, and I think they're quite talented and charming actors in their own right. However, both these actors do not suit the character of Domouji, imho (Tsumabuki having too much of a nice boy-next-door image and Odagiri is too soft-spoken). That said, I respect those who have their own opinions and enjoy reading all the discussion. Good to see many participating in this thread. :-)

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » Apr 22nd, '07, 19:33

^^ i agree wiht the commenta bout the lacking in manliness! the boys are just in another category these days. kimura and tomoya were pretty scrawny in their 20s but they still carried this aura of manliness.maybe it's because back then they weren't as into the primping and the hair and skinny jeans. i like jun and pi but they're not manly enough for me. it saddens me to say this because i LOVE jun. even in kurosagi where yamapi played a badass i still didn't feel it.

maybe joe odagiri coulda played hanazawa rui! he's pretty versatile. he could play the artsy one, the quiet one, the quirky one, and the dorky one.

um you know, if this was made in 1999, goro inagaki woulda made a GREAT soujiro! he was gorgeous back then and he knows how to get the ladies (from his personal experience lol)

i still cannot for the life of me figure out who to play akira.

Kailey1710

Post by Kailey1710 » Apr 22nd, '07, 20:51

I personally think Jun was the best Doumyoji EVER. Completely brought the manga to life for me :mrgreen: But someone else I think might've suceeded in Doumyoji would be Akanishi Jin from Kat tun. In Gokusen2 he plays a good aloof/mean/rude character.

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Apr 23rd, '07, 15:07

This thread is just for fun and I'm doing this of course just for the fun of it. So, I made this picture, 4 guys of my choice that I think can play F4...

Nagase Tomoya as Domyouji Tsukasa - Seriously, this guy has it all, the look, the body, the angst, the manliness and many more that should be the characters of Domyouji Tsukasa..therefore, he is my first choice to be the leader of F4.

Kashiwabara Takeshi as Hanazawa Rui - He looks cool and quiet, and he got the look a bit similar to Rui in the manga...can I say that he is maybe the most perfect for this role?

Tamaki Hiroshi as Nishikado Soujiro - the picture says it all, he looks good in Yukata and Soujiro is a tea boy..so....plus he looks womanizer too. :mrgreen:

Matsuoka Masahiro as Mimasaka Akira - its quite tough for me to choose who is the perfect guy as Akira. I cant think of any other actor that can fit this role so I choose Matsuoka. Haha.

This is for fun only.

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Apr 24th, '07, 08:32

lightsoul wrote:This thread is just for fun and I'm doing this of course just for the fun of it. So, I made this picture, 4 guys of my choice that I think can play F4...

LOL! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thanks for the inspired composite picture, lightsoul! :mrgreen: Of course it's just fun to see how your dream cast would look together...if it were real though, you gotta admit they make quite a dreamy F4! :wub:
Nagase Tomoya as Domyouji Tsukasa - Seriously, this guy has it all, the look, the body, the angst, the manliness and many more that should be the characters of Domyouji Tsukasa..therefore, he is my first choice to be the leader of F4.
Yup, yup! You can't get a bigger "AMEN" from me! :mrgreen:

Tomoya would give such a strong visual impact as Domouji. You don't even need to convince the guy to get curls, as you can see he likes curly hair already.! lol

There is one part of the manga where Domouji whisks Makino off in a helicopter to a deserted island to spend some time together for one last night before he leaves Japan for New York. Makino gets all nervous and falls into a pool, and Domouji jumps into the pool to join her. His hair gets all wet and naturally straigthens out and Makino just gazes at him in the moonlight, spellbound by his beauty. He looks like a beautiful beast to her. Who better to portray a beautiful wild beast than Tomoya? :wub:
Kashiwabara Takeshi as Hanazawa Rui - He looks cool and quiet, and he got the look a bit similar to Rui in the manga...can I say that he is maybe the most perfect for this role?
Haha, Kashiwabara Takeshi...yes, I can picture him as Rui :-) But if we're speculating on the definitive Rui...others have also mentioned a few actors who might bring something interesting to the role. Takeshi Kaneshiro and Joe Odagiri are good potential Ruis too for HYD if it were made 5 years ago. They've both grown and moved on to better things...I'd consider them more as movie stars now.

And let's not forget Oguri Shun, from the actual Jdrama. I liked his Rui, to me he is the best suited for his role out of the F4. Some parts in the drama it seemed like Oguri Shun's Rui had morphed out from the pages of the manga into live-action. Good job casting here, Hanadan producers. 8)
Tamaki Hiroshi as Nishikado Soujiro - the picture says it all, he looks good in Yukata and Soujiro is a tea boy..so....plus he looks womanizer too. :mrgreen:
*nods* Tamaki Hiroshi would rock as Soujiro! You picked the perfect photo for him too, lol. He's got the looks, the refined rich boy manners and smooth sexiness to make Matsuda Shota seem like a green schoolboy in comparison. :mrgreen:
Matsuoka Masahiro as Mimasaka Akira - its quite tough for me to choose who is the perfect guy as Akira. I cant think of any other actor that can fit this role so I choose Matsuoka. Haha.
Mabo as Akira?! hehe...another TOKIO member? Well, he is wickedly cute and a lady-killer! :roll If he weren't so darn short, I'd like Okada Junichi for Akira (No no... it has nothing to do with his Anan spread...ahem, lol. )

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Apr 24th, '07, 11:37

nice pic!!!

those wondering how kimura would look as F4, just watch this video:

F4 in SMAP vs SMAP
PART 1 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRc6wXmXEw
PART 2 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIl1BeHOTBk
Note: Jerry is looking gorgeus in this video! :wub:

as for tomoya, he would look great as Domyouji Tsukasa but they would have to adapt the story to university and change the girl that plays makino because inoue mao doesnt match him because of the age, she looks to young for him.
:D

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Apr 25th, '07, 21:55

hanapyupyu wrote:Good point about Kimura's aura overshadowing his castmates. Neither would he want to be billed as a supporting act to Makino. I also read about him playing Rui in the CD version of HYD, though I personally feel he is a better fit as Tsukasa with his explosive personality. Kimura is better at expressing passionate, unpredictable characters, rather than the mellow dreamer types like Rui.
SMAP would have owned F4 from 10 years ago. Kimura would be Doumyouji, Inagaki would have been Rui, either Katori or Kusanagi could be Soujiroh, and Nakai would have been Akira
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Apr 25th, '07, 22:18

LOL! I'm having fun imagining another cast for the F4 and doumyouji... but I'm still to savvy enough on j-actors to decide.

I also used to think that If a more "manly" foursome had been cast I would like'em better.
But then I remembered, when reading the manga, there was a foot-note from Kamio-sensei where she explained the whole F4 thing, why she chose the word "flower" and stuff.
Aside from the pun in the manga's name, basically, it was that even though she liked muscle men, she liked even more the idea of "flowery" boys. Therefore the F4 were born.

So I thought, ok., four boys that had to be "flowery", that is, beautiful and delicate on the outside, but when you get to know them and "see them in action" they'd be the epitome of the male ideal, forceful, powerful, rash, debonair, gentlemen, exquisite.

So yeah, I've come to admit that the hanadan casting was superb, and I can't think of anyone else that would play the F4 better than Jun, Shun, Shota and Abe.