[Discussion] LIAR GAME (All Seasons)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Apr 21st, '07, 15:05

I'm in the middle of the second episode right now... and it's sooooo cliched.
I definitely didn't need a 10 minute explanation telling me that he switched cards.
All I have to say is:

もう一回~!

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 21st, '07, 15:54

Well...
The point of game one was just to show how the simplest of tricks can still trick people if they are put into a vulnerable state of mind, so the way he tricks the teacher should be a cliche way.

That being said... Yes, they probably didn't need 10 mintues to explain the card swap.
I still stand by the fact second game is more fun.

btw. If any of you are in Japan, you should play the "minority game" talked of on the official site. It's free I think, and you can win lots of money. =D

najimta

Post by najimta » Apr 21st, '07, 21:56

is the second episode out on torrent...or where can i get it?

i think the first episode was pretty interesting. i can tell theres gonna be a lot of logic involved. maybe its just me but i like thinking shows. =]

ilurrveniki

Post by ilurrveniki » Apr 22nd, '07, 01:32

najimta wrote:is the second episode out on torrent...or where can i get it?

i think the first episode was pretty interesting. i can tell theres gonna be a lot of logic involved. maybe its just me but i like thinking shows. =]
yes it is out! Please go to the DA homepage! You will see it!!

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » Apr 22nd, '07, 05:28

Oh man, I skimmed through episode 2 and yes, I predicted a few things too, but I'm going to stick with the show, just because it sounds like it'll get better. :)

orichan

Articles 1 and 2

Post by orichan » Apr 22nd, '07, 06:53

I made a quick and probably bad translation of the 2 psychology articles by some psyc. professor called Dr. Tomita from the Liar Game official web site. It may help you enjoy the last two episodes a bit more.

Don't ask me why I jumped between tenses. I just did and I am too lazy to fix that.

Note: bolded stuff is me talking and not part of the translation.

Article one, released before Ep 1:

Finally, the story of “stupidly honest” Nao and “genius swindler” Akiyama’s adventure begins.

We will take a look at first episode, at those that can “embrace deceptions”. The nice elders of this country (not only them, but most suffering from phone frauds are lonely elders), can easily “embrace deception”! Akiyama plans to use this to save Nao.

I will leave it to the show to explain how he does that.

Anyway, no matter how much media cover well known fraud cases, many will still fall for the same tricks. Seeing that many people shakes their head.

“Didn’t they read the news paper and watch the news?” “If those elders are stupid enough to get deceived, they deserve it.”

In short, increasingly, “normal adults” are think there’s no way they can be deceived by scams they heard of before.

Yet, there is still a considerable probability that people who normally have sound judgment would fall for those tricks. You are not different.

The secret of “embracing deception” is that, first, “panic” robs victims of their normal reasoning ability. After their judgment is impaired, they quite willingly extend a “helping hand.”

Try to imagine, your close relative, suddenly become involved in an accident. Your cute grandchild crashed his car into someone, got caught by the police, and now faces a huge compensation payment. Oh, by the way, it looks like he can’t avoid jail…

When faced with this sort of situation, everyone would panic.

When people panic, their common sense drops by half. When we say panic, we are talking about the over-excitement of brain cell induced by emergencies. You would think if your brain cells are that active in that state, you would be more capable than normal, but in reality, it’s the opposite. What get demonstrated instead are things like “idiocy during a fire,” where things you can do very easily suddenly become very hard. This has been proven by many psychology experiments.

That’s why many deaths in fires and other catastrophes are caused by people not noticing the closest exit, and instead head to a farther exit thus increasing their exposure to danger. If it had been a normal situation, those people would have been able to make the right judgment.

The rest of the write up is kind of boring so I am just going to translate in a very concise manner… You should get the idea:

There are ways to fight panic.
1) Talk to others.
2) Practice staying calm.
3) Relax.

And to close off the write up… this psychiatrist advertised Liar Game by telling you to relax by watching Liar Game with friends and family. Lol.

Article two, released before Ep 2:

Finally, Akiyama showed his ability as a genius swindler! He cornered Fujizawa, the man who cheated the very honest Nao of 100 million. Akiyama was very self-assured and calm, and when he heard Fujizawa’s winning strategy…. He laughed.

But, wait a minute, no matter how you look at the situation, the person with the undisputable advantage is Fujizawa. The 200 million is sitting in his sturdy safe, all he needed to do was wait for the end of the game and he would have won. Yet, it was Fujizawa who was frightened, anxious, and completely paranoid.

Why is that?

That is because Fujizawa was “the prey” while Akiyama was “the preditor.”

Imagine a lion and a zebra running on grassland, both are going at full speed. Yet, while the lion is chasing a prey, the zebra is running for his life. Who do you think is happier?

In other words, having to defend the 200 million dollars he acquired, Fujizawa was the zebra being chased in spirit by Akiyama and Nao. That’s why he was constantly tortured by fear and paranoia.

Because Akiyama confidently declared he would take the 200 million, doubts took roots in Fujizawa, and he began to wonder, “Can there really be a way [to steal the money] that I have not considered?” Once that happened, as Akiyama predicted with “cognitive dissonance”, Fujizawa began to find irrational explanations to everything. Akiyama and Nao’s story shows that “evidence” (?) created by “anxiety” can make anxiety even worse.

Now, when can Fujizawa be cornered?

In the end, how will Akiyama finish off Fujizawa?

Right, in life, you can easily change from a lion into a zebra. It’s all about attitude.

Of course, there are situations where you cannot avoid being a zebra. For example, it is very good to run away from lions-like events (disasters), in psychology, this is called “avoidance (evasive actions).” The consequences to disasters and such are great, so avoidance is a splendid ability.

The rest is kind of boring to me… so I am just going to give a summary of the rest of the article:

We learn from experience. If you run away from everything and be submissive about everything in life, “avoidance” would become your habit. In that case, you would no longer know how to “chase,” and when a good opportunity comes along you would habitually let the opportunity slip.

If you don’t want to be a zebra for life, then be proactive, make “chasing” a habit. Chase your dreams! Live for “happiness.” If you know what makes you happy and pursue that, you can endure any hardship.

Miracles will not happen if you don’t take the first step.
Last edited by orichan on Apr 23rd, '07, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 22nd, '07, 08:04

Well, just saw Ep2.

I have to say, it was very predictable, but it looks like it's gonna get interesting from here.
Ahhh! The rules for game 2??? Such cliffhanger :doh:

alexious

Post by alexious » Apr 22nd, '07, 14:35

wow. thanks for the article!! <3 ahhh! i can't wait to watch it! ^___^

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Apr 23rd, '07, 01:55

Pretty good, super cute gal. I've been waiting to see her in a lead role. Too bad it's kinda short. Reminds me of Kurosagi.

ittiou

Post by ittiou » Apr 23rd, '07, 14:50

goygakgoy wrote:Pretty good, super cute gal. I've been waiting to see her in a lead role. Too bad it's kinda short. Reminds me of Kurosagi.
I have a feeling, that this drama will be better than Kurosagi...cuz of this very very interesting game...

I have a question...actually a few questions and a few thoughts...
I saw near the end, that Akiyama had a name plate too...so does that mean one of them have to lose at the end?

If theres three people left, including the two of them (that is, if they both win until the end), it should be easy for one of them to win right?

And if Nao wins....d'you think she'll give the money away again?

crimmy

Post by crimmy » Apr 23rd, '07, 16:33

^ o_O I saw the preview at the end of the ep and replayed some scenes where he was included.. I didnt see that >_>;

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Apr 23rd, '07, 17:24

Aside from the obvious, why does Akiyama get to participate in the second game, which is for winners of the first game? I know he helped Nao win the first game, but technically the game invite was for her, not him. There's no way Nao can win this on her own. If the storyline continues to be predictably cliche, then maybe Akiyama will somehow "let" Nao win.

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 23rd, '07, 18:37

Lady Zhuge wrote:
Aside from the obvious, why does Akiyama get to participate in the second game, which is for winners of the first game? I know he helped Nao win the first game, but technically the game invite was for her, not him. There's no way Nao can win this on her own. If the storyline continues to be predictably cliche, then maybe Akiyama will somehow "let" Nao win.
Answer to that.
They will explain it more fully. But they gave you an important hint already in ep 2.

LanBreak

Post by LanBreak » Apr 23rd, '07, 18:53

I didn't read the manga yet, and I tried to avoid most of the "in-depth" information on the Japanese wikipedia article, but here's my thoughts on Akiyama...
Of course, I haven't got any proof to back this, but do you remember the first episode? That copper deceived Nao, but he also told her about Akiyama getting released from prison. Coincidence? I find that hard to believe.
I think it's not unlikely that LGT just used Nao to get Akiyama involved - when she returned the 100 yen they found out about her address and how gullible she is at the same time. I also think that if LGT were just ordinary scammers themselves, it wouldn't make much sense for them to get a well-known "genius swindler" involved in their game, would it? To me this somehow suggests that there's got to be some kind of connection between LGT and Akiyama - and come to think of it, who told him about the location of the second round?

As for the next round... the preview which I left untranslated doesn't really give anything away, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Akiyama were to play against Nao - I mean, he didn't reveal his strategy to her in the first game, so why should he let her in this time? I'm really looking forward to see how this is going to develop.
Of course, I might be completely wrong. :D

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 23rd, '07, 19:06

The rating is in. Liar Game got 12.8 this week vs. 12.3 last week.

Eternal Snow

Post by Eternal Snow » Apr 23rd, '07, 19:19

i loooooove this show.. but i hate the fact that it`s only 36 minutes!!!

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » Apr 23rd, '07, 19:20

unless my chinese is getting really bad, i was pretty sure in episode 1 the chinese subs by btpig said the money had to be deposited in a bank by 5 :P? didn't know that the 3 chicks were meant to come pick it up.

either way, i was thinking the teacher lost becoz he couldnt get the money in the bank by 5 becoz he was so busy trying to keep his million dollars safe. so, the ending came to me as a twist and i liked it!

Maybe there's more to liar game than just toda erika, I had to watch the 1st episode twice becoz the first run was just me gawking at toda chan :).

Seriously, cute/innocent Nao is just so desirable :lub:

@LanBreak

I really like your theory! it's viable, i think the ending of liar game will come as a surprise, they are gonna build up shouta's character as a hero/good guy in the series, then close to the end they gonna show us that he is probably one of LGT in a one huge massive scam. Yes, I think LGT had to get akiyama in the game, he's probably 'the mole' participant in the game.

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 23rd, '07, 19:32

If you are talking about the line that I think you are talking about...

The teacher was saying the bank he deposited the money in is open until 5pm. Not that they have to deposit the money in a bank at 5.

That's the only line in that translation that I remember seeing 5pm in.

Magalamb

Post by Magalamb » Apr 23rd, '07, 19:40

LanBreak wrote:I didn't read the manga yet, and I tried to avoid most of the "in-depth" information on the Japanese wikipedia article, but here's my thoughts on Akiyama...
Of course, I haven't got any proof to back this, but do you remember the first episode? That copper deceived Nao, but he also told her about Akiyama getting released from prison. Coincidence? I find that hard to believe.
I think it's not unlikely that LGT just used Nao to get Akiyama involved - when she returned the 100 yen they found out about her address and how gullible she is at the same time. I also think that if LGT were just ordinary scammers themselves, it wouldn't make much sense for them to get a well-known "genius swindler" involved in their game, would it? To me this somehow suggests that there's got to be some kind of connection between LGT and Akiyama - and come to think of it, who told him about the location of the second round?

As for the next round... the preview which I left untranslated doesn't really give anything away, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Akiyama were to play against Nao - I mean, he didn't reveal his strategy to her in the first game, so why should he let her in this time? I'm really looking forward to see how this is going to develop.
Of course, I might be completely wrong. :D
I hope you're right, because, if so, this is much more interesting than I thought it was. I just hope there's some sort of resolution, unlike Kurosagi...

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Apr 23rd, '07, 19:41

This is a question about the manga, which potentially has spoilers...
Does anyone know how Game 3 end?

Game 3 is the one where they try to smuggle money right? The game with the weird guy with the mouse...Does anyone know it end? Becuase I'm currently reading the Chinese version of the manga, which is up to CH35, and the suspense is killing me!!
[/spoiler]

cindai

Post by cindai » Apr 23rd, '07, 23:19

this is just one of my opinion. I also never read the manga but i have a strong feeling that Akiyama really want to help Nao because in ep. 2, before she having a conversation with the policeman under the tree, there's a scene of Akiyama memory about lost someone very important to him. In ep.1 also have, when she state about "To be idiotically honest... is it bad?", Akiyama is having a flashback of the same memory. Maybe he lost that woman because of some incident that he want to avoid it to happen again. I think that he really want to help Nao. but it just my opinion. if he really a part of LGT, then it will really really really break my heart... :-(

ittiou

Post by ittiou » Apr 24th, '07, 02:56

crimmy wrote:^ o_O I saw the preview at the end of the ep and replayed some scenes where he was included.. I didnt see that >_>;
Screencap:

I think Akiyama is the secret power behind the LGT.

=)

cindai

Post by cindai » Apr 24th, '07, 03:40

if he really a secret power behind it then i will be very dissapoint. noooooooo...... :cry:

LanBreak

Post by LanBreak » Apr 24th, '07, 06:11

Just to clear this up a little:
I didn't mean to say that Akiyama really works for LGT just that there might be a connection between them. I mean, he also did warn Nao to stay away, right?
Oh, and my theory about he found the place... orichan pointed out a plausible reason on how he did that... I guess I didn't watch closely enough.

SmiLeeGirl

Thanks for all your hard work

Post by SmiLeeGirl » Apr 24th, '07, 06:25

@ LanBreak and Co

Thanks for the VERY quick release!

I wish I knew what is going to happen next!!! -- sign of getting hooked.

Smi

cindai

Post by cindai » Apr 24th, '07, 07:55

LanBreak wrote:Just to clear this up a little:
I didn't mean to say that Akiyama really works for LGT just that there might be a connection between them. I mean, he also did warn Nao to stay away, right?
Oh, and my theory about he found the place... orichan pointed out a plausible reason on how he did that... I guess I didn't watch closely enough.
i feel a little relieve the hear that. hopefully what you said is true.

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Apr 24th, '07, 23:41

Aaah, this show is really good! And to think I was going to wait until it concluded so I can watch Tokkyu, Proposal, and Hanayome. XD Now I can just watch all four. =P I really hope Akiyama doesn't go against Nao, though...I'm a huge romance freak so..yeah...=P

najimta

Post by najimta » Apr 25th, '07, 00:08

@Gorahgurl :
i totally agree with you altough it would be a fun twist to akiyama and nao compete.

anyways i`m really looking forward to finding about akiyama`s past. he`s kinda that complete mysterious loner that you can`t help but notice and wonder about. i love guys like that! :mrgreen:

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Apr 25th, '07, 21:44

Erika is so pretty :)
+1 :P

Dare_Devil09

Post by Dare_Devil09 » Apr 25th, '07, 21:50

do u think the 2 will have a love connection?

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Apr 25th, '07, 23:02

cindai wrote:if he really a part of LGT, then it will really really really break my heart... :-(
And mine!

I like this character so much... it's interesting and well portraited by Matsuda Shota.
I really want to know, like Nao, why such an honest guy has turned himself into a bad one...

Eternal Snow

Post by Eternal Snow » Apr 26th, '07, 00:00

OMG.. this drama really hooked me up!! i`m sooooooo eager to know what will happen in the next episodes & how the plot will go.. 8)

Toda Erika is such an adorable gurl :wub: & Matsuda Shota has some of the kurosagi wanna be charecter.. don`t ya think? :lol.. but still he`s looking so Hot in there & his charecter makes him even more & more Hotter!! XD :wub:

can`t wait to see the rest :D

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 26th, '07, 08:45

I posted translations of Erika Toda's and Matsuda Shota's interviews from the official web site here:

http://liargame.blogspot.com/

I had lots of trouble translating them because interviews are so informal. Really sorry if I made any mistakes.

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Apr 26th, '07, 15:38

orichan wrote:I posted translations of Erika Toda's and Matsuda Shota's interviews from the official web site here:

http://liargame.blogspot.com/

I had lots of trouble translating them because interviews are so informal. Really sorry if I made any mistakes.
interesting interviews... I agree with Erika about her point of view about Nao...

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Apr 28th, '07, 14:43

Hmm... This episode isn't that bad so far, this week.

Anyhows, I thought I'd give you all a little teaser for tonight's ep until someone ups the whole show.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2ywytwnjymz

^ Lil 3min clip for you all

Celentt

Post by Celentt » Apr 28th, '07, 15:04

christaluvsdrama wrote:ahhhhh Its Sojiro and that evil Umi-chan from HYD2 hahaha I will watch this for sure. This is the only way I will no longer dislike her. To see her in a new light
you need to watch her previous works, where she always plays the good girl

aatm

Post by aatm » Apr 28th, '07, 18:15

is the new ep out yet?

aj2005uk

Post by aj2005uk » Apr 28th, '07, 18:16

I'm not sure about this drama :unsure:, it sounded good before it aired but... I need more like a short overview of the episodes that already been aired and/or whats coming up

aatm

Post by aatm » Apr 28th, '07, 18:16

is the new ep out yet?

najimta

Post by najimta » Apr 29th, '07, 02:46

why`s the new episode not out yet :(

wachi

Post by wachi » Apr 29th, '07, 03:36

So is 1024x576 the new 704x396? I've been seeing it a lot lately.
The 1024x576 version of episode 3 is available on clubbox. I'm guessing uploaders are still waiting on the 704x396 version.

Moondy

Post by Moondy » Apr 29th, '07, 04:30

:blink :blink :blink :blink

This drame is very good!!!I'm impressive!!
I want to watch the others episods!!!

(wait for the 3)

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 29th, '07, 04:50

Article 3 is now translated. You can find it here: http://liargame.blogspot.com/

anego

Post by anego » Apr 29th, '07, 07:05

Thank you, orichan ^^

/Toda Erika & Matsuda Shota ftw! :wub:

himeko

Post by himeko » Apr 29th, '07, 07:45

Hmm this dorama is ok so far, not too mind boggling as I got some of the predictions right in ep 1, but I think it might get more exciting from here. As I was watching ep 1, there were parts where I wanted to slap Erika for being so stupid.
Plus, the puppet seriously creeps me out .. looks like the one from Saw :crazy:

shosef

Post by shosef » Apr 29th, '07, 07:50

i agree with you himeko...i seriously doubt if that kind of person actually exists in this world...she's bordering on stupidity than being naive... :lol :lol but aside from that i love the 1st and 2nd epis...can't wait for the next epis... :-)

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Apr 29th, '07, 07:55

lolz... i thought it would be exciting to watch it... the music definitely creeps me out. if you actually put it in silent mode it all goes booring...

aj2005uk

Post by aj2005uk » Apr 29th, '07, 10:15

http://liargame.blogspot.com is a good source for what's happening in each episode

I think i'll give this drama a go.

Arigatou orichan :thumleft: (for the link)

Felguard

Post by Felguard » Apr 29th, '07, 10:37

It's getting interesting now.

Eternal Snow

Post by Eternal Snow » Apr 29th, '07, 11:38

himeko wrote:Hmm this dorama is ok so far, not too mind boggling as I got some of the predictions right in ep 1, but I think it might get more exciting from here. As I was watching ep 1, there were parts where I wanted to slap Erika for being so stupid.
Plus, the puppet seriously creeps me out .. looks like the one from Saw :crazy:
lool.. though she IS stupid demo~ she`s pretty kawai that way ne? & innocent.. well that could lead her to a dangerous road.. then it`s a good thing that she got Matsuda Shota on her side XD

lool :lol :lol i had the very same idea about the puppet.. it creeps me out~ :fear:

najimta

Post by najimta » Apr 29th, '07, 14:24

EPISODE THREE IS OUT ON TORRENT (:

Eternal Snow

Post by Eternal Snow » Apr 29th, '07, 14:28

oooh.. thanks 4 telling us :salut:

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Apr 29th, '07, 15:08

are the subs out too? *sigh* :unsure: there are too many GOOD jdorama and kdramas to watch. i don't know what to dload first! lolz... i think i should get a life first. i am too addicted!!!

btw...i thought this series was going to be boring, but noOo...! :w00t: it gets better and better as every episode goes by! ganbatte subbers!!!

Vesta

Post by Vesta » Apr 29th, '07, 18:43

Does anyone know if there is clubbox for this drama?
some one told me about kangjegu's clubbox but it is all in korean so i couldn't understand where to click... :(

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » Apr 29th, '07, 21:13

preview for next week's episod.e

talk about fanservice! even if they didn't have this in the next episode i would still want to watch it so much! it really is picking up the pace and is getting more interesting

ryoko293

Post by ryoko293 » Apr 29th, '07, 21:19

*dead* so hot! I'm usually not for typical kitshy dorama endings but I hope they end up together...somehow LOL

aimberyo

Post by aimberyo » Apr 29th, '07, 21:52

Vesta wrote:Does anyone know if there is clubbox for this drama?
some one told me about kangjegu's clubbox but it is all in korean so i couldn't understand where to click... :(
kdwluverz's clubbox also has it. As for kangjegu's clubbox the name in korean is 라이어 게임. So you'd just have to click that one

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 30th, '07, 05:05

Saw ep2... Getting interesting!
What would happen if it continues on, and there are two winners in end? 105 million Yen for winner, must pay 52.5 million Yen to withdraw from game 3. And there's 70 million Yen debt total for allies. I guess that's what's gonna happen? The winner won't be able to withdraw and forced to game 3?
If "X" was using the same strategy, there would be 2 winners...

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Apr 30th, '07, 09:17

Matsuda Shota is so freaking hot...
I'm loving the fan service...and I'm so happy Matsuda Shota isn't as thin as the JE boys...

KYAAAAA!

babyxdorkii

Post by babyxdorkii » Apr 30th, '07, 09:23

Vesta wrote:Does anyone know if there is clubbox for this drama?
http://clubbox.co.kr/shuji2akira

or you can directly download them at

http://akiradown.livejournal.com

aj2005uk

Post by aj2005uk » Apr 30th, '07, 16:25

8thSin wrote:Saw ep2... Getting interesting!
I watched both episodes last night, and i agree...it is getting interesting.

prox

Post by prox » May 1st, '07, 08:09

very intriguing drama ;-)
because subject of this drama is very unusual, i never watch anything alike

kokitty

Post by kokitty » May 1st, '07, 15:07

Question : Is anyone here not used to the pacing or rather presentation of this drama?

I mean the 30mins instead of 45mins aside. Typical japanese dramas are very episodic. A situation usually gets resolved within the episode itself. Liar Game seems to follow the cliffhanger format used more in American dramas. Not saying that it's bad, in fact i think it's a nice change from what we're used to. But somehow it just takes a bit of getting used to. Obviously i'm not posting this question for someone who hopped on the japanese drama bandwagon and thinks that HYD or Nobuta is the BESTEST drama ever, watched less than 25 dramas since then. I'm more posting this question to those who've been following japanese dramas for least 4/5years and watched at least 30, people who have gotten used to the typical japanese episodic formula pacing.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » May 1st, '07, 15:33

kokitty wrote:Question : Is anyone here not used to the pacing or rather presentation of this drama?
I'm more posting this question to those who've been following japanese dramas for least 4/5years and watched at least 30, people who have gotten used to the typical japanese episodic formula pacing.
I've been watching for 13 or 14 years... but, I haven't completed more than 30... so, I guess I'm not qualified to answer your question. :P

Actually, they do a horrible job of the cliffhanger... I was watching it on Saturday night, and the way it ended... the screen actually went black... like it was pulled off the air; very bushleague.

But, tons of dramas do the "cliffhanger" type; not everything is formulamtic. I cracked on this a little bit earlier for being so "cliched"... but, it's a late-night Saturday drama, you can't really set the bar high.

I understand what you're saying, though... that's why I haven't completed more than 2 dramas a year, on average; they're repetative and boring... it's hard for something to come along to keep your attention.

LanBreak

Post by LanBreak » May 1st, '07, 15:34

@kokitty:

That's quite the impression I got out of it as well. 36 minutes is rather short, but somehow it seems short enough for me to just watch it even if I don't have time - for other dorama I often tend to put them off for later, even though it's just a difference of about 10 minutes. And of course, since the whole subbing process takes a couple of hours per episode, I'm sorta contradicting myself here :whistling:.

So far, the way they spread the episodes doesn't convince me fully, though... of course, splitting up the first episode provided for a nice cliffhanger ending, but the transition between the first two games seemed somewhat messy. I wonder if they'll keep going for "cheap" cliffhangers like that...

However, there's some nice concepts in the dorama, which I haven't seen in many other series... all the explanations on game strategies and psychology for example, or the way Nao conducts the interviews in the 3rd episode - seems like a new and modern approach, and I like the idea that they're not putting a "normal, but shorter" dorama into this new slot, but try and reinvent some things.

yck

Post by yck » May 1st, '07, 15:56

hikkichan wrote:I'm in the middle of the second episode right now... and it's sooooo cliched.
I definitely didn't need a 10 minute explanation telling me that he switched cards.
All I have to say is:

もう一回~!
Really? I timed it and it was less than 3 minutes. Also, in what way is it soooo cliched? Sure, a lot of people can probably guess how the teacher would be con'ed and the outcome, but I like the way how it's backed by theory in human psychology. It's analogous to saying, when presented with a mathematical formula, that it looks correct w/o going thru the rigorous process of proof via induction. And the first round is not even a warm up, if you've read the manga, the subsequent rounds are way better than the first in terms of logic and psychology.

kokitty

Post by kokitty » May 1st, '07, 16:24

@hikkichan

obviously you're more than qualified to answer my question. I'm sure you've attempted watching 1/2 epis of more than 30 dramas, just failed to complete the majority.

Of course not all japanese dramas are formulatic. It's just that for every episode of most dramas, there is usually a central theme or situation driving the story of that particular episode and that "situation" always gets resolved by the end of 45mins. A lot japanese dramas are fixated with the idea of "something gets resolved" within an episode which for better or worse is one of the unique traits of japanese dramas. For something like Liar Game, which blatantly leaves the central driving situation of the episode hanging half way, it feels refreshing as much as it feels weird.

@LanBreak

I think we're on the same wavelength. 30+minutes is definitely one of the major push factors with me making Liar Game one of the 2 dramas i'll be carrying on for this drama season (least watching it on pace with japanese airtime). Short enough to keep my attention span LOL.

I too liked how they presented the cliffhanger for the first episode... but if you look at it, least the first episode wasn't deviating that much from what we're used to. Something did get "resolved", Akiyama was set up to help her, the central theme of epi 1 was done with 30+ mins with gainiing Akiyama as an ally. Things started to get messy in epi 2 with like what you said the transistion between the 2 games and for epi 3 the ending was kinna abrupt, like what hikkichan said "the screen suddenly went blank". It's fine with i'm watching that American dramas HEROS but cos i'm too used to the idea of some sort of small resolution within an episode, was really caught by surprise.

I'm left wondering if the producers meant for Liar Game to be a new concept in conjunction of the new timeslot or was it purely a matter of not being able to tell a story within 36minutes (ie they stuck with the same 45min type of pacing method and ended up having to end abruptly in parts).

All in all, least as of epi 3. The positives outweigh whatever uneasiness i have. Yes, there are many fresh concepts and filming methods they're trying out in this drama. You know that it's low budget but it doesn't feel as cheesy and rushed like some of the "normal but shorter" dramas. It's kinna of my surprise find of this season in a season of average to poor drama offerings.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » May 1st, '07, 21:20

There are definitely many renzokus that are built upon cliff hangers. But I don't know if cliff hangers are going to be a norm for this drama or just for the initial eps. I almost get the feeling that the eps are 45 minutes but chopped into 36...

belleza

Post by belleza » May 1st, '07, 21:42

Giving this series a go. Have only seen the first 2 episodes, so I'll shoot out my impression . . .

For me, the show really really shows how it was based on a manga. The characterization of the female protoganist is purely used to set up situation, and so you can't begrudge too pointingly how silly she is. If there's a romantic development, it will be very thin and mostly to further develop the male swindler. And, above all -- and this goes back to the unresolved feel at the end of each "chapter" -- this is actually normal for a 30 minute serial, particularly an Asian drama serial. But it's especially pointed here because the manga, like many boy's comics, seems written in a "tournament" narrative. Each episode resolves the previous round or aspect of round and sets up the next. There isn't a consistent theme, but the affirmation of the male lead.

I'm really enjoying Shota in this role. I'm not sure whether how much acting skills he really has, but he is thoroughly a Matsuda. He has that **** spring in his step, that look of casual disdain, and the self-posession of a person who really has lived around the world, the gutters and the penthouses, who is cooler than thou by blood. He's the Japanese version of Edison Chen, polite but exceedingly direct. ;) Not sure about his range or anything like that, but Shota (unlike, say, Yamashita) brings ready credibility into the role, and it works very well here.

What's drawn me into Liar Game though is the direction style. Some people brought up the low budget of the show, but the stylization itself really, really draws from modern noir and art-horror. There's very little of that soft backlighting you see in so many Japanese dramas (where everybody seems to have a halo) and instead there's a mix of harsh multicoloured flourescent lighting and very little backlighting to fully differentiate what's going on. Also, there's a unusual large amount of closeups and very near medium shots , as if they haven't finished the sets. Also, the use of fish lense and alternative camera views reinforces a fairly strong sense of people interacting and manipulating each other in a very tight space. The last J-drama I saw that made me really notice how deliberately the director was using space and limited peripheral perspective was Hero. This is very noir technique here, essentially creating a world of repetitive rooms and 5-10 people/players, and it wonderfully plays up the Alternate Reality Game premise of the show. Also it seems like the show is using a lot of location shots, but in a kind of "shoot now, figure the footage out later." I really liked that. And this show has an impressive # of cuts, and unlike most J-dramas, it uses fast-cutting for its flashback sequences. It's just tight.

shosef

Post by shosef » May 2nd, '07, 04:04

i love the drama..can't wait for the 3rd ep... :D

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » May 2nd, '07, 07:50

episode 3 is already out...

not much to say, except the fact 1 of the 8 ppl in the group is probably working with X :P.

Kae

Post by Kae » May 2nd, '07, 11:54

Anybody got a wallpaper for this? I visited the website, but maybe it's because I don't read Japanese that I did not find any.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 2nd, '07, 15:36

that mushroom head guy is suspicious!

Moondy

Post by Moondy » May 3rd, '07, 00:58

Yappari!!!
I'm fond of this drama!!!
When it will finish, i post that 'liar game' is one of my favourites dramas :D

I think the man number "1" is the X!!

furransu